PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Biggest weakness(es)?

Mavs<Spurs
10-24-2005, 07:17 PM
To me, this is the best Spurs team ever assembled (and next year could/should be even better with Scola) with the 99 team being second. I am of the view that this Spurs team is significantly better than any other team in the league including the Heat. I would also argue that we were much better than how we actually played in the Finals and therefore, the difference in our team and the Pistons was much greater than it appeared in the Finals. It seems like there are a lot of people, including me, who think Tim is the best player in the world and has been for the last five or so years. This would make sense since our winning percentage in that time is better than for any other major professional American sports team and Tim is obviously our best player. I think Pop is one of the best coaches. It also seems clear that we are one of the top three point shooting teams in the league. Clearly, our defense is one of the best in the league and our offense is better than some stats taken in isolation might indicate. To keep me realistic and grounded, I wanted to discuss what other Spurs fans think are our biggest weaknesses and what we can/are or should be doing to correct them.
So, let's hear from some of our regular bloggers on what you all think that our weaknesses are and about their correction.

I will put out my two cents too.
Some of these are going to be obvious.

Here are some of what I see:

We can get in trouble when Tony is not hitting his jumpshot and the other team is packing it in when we are facing a good defensive team like the Pistons. Correction is the shooting coach hired and Tony is working on his jumper. I think that his jumpshot will be more consistent this year and I was encouraged by Pop's comments. In addition, Manu can both drive and hit the jumpshot. He can punish defenses either way. Plus, we have so many great outside shooters now it is not even funny.

Before getting Van Exel, we had problems when Tony went out (in terms of taking care of the ball, offense, defense (Beno is not exactly fast).) However, Van Exel cures that problem nicely.

We are limited at center in terms of offensive skills. Rasho is a good defensive presence and seems to be able to hit a set shot. Also, he knows our system well. However, he is not a low post scoring threat. Oberto is an improvement because he is a better passer and more of a finesse player. On the other hand, he is small and it looks like he will be pushed around and run over by most centers and even power forwards judging from the preseason game at Miami. Nazr seems more athletic than Rasho and/or Oberto. On the other hand, he does not have good low post moves which he can use to score consistently. He is faster than Rasho and a better a super offensive rebounder. Nazr appears to have more promise although some have said this was an illusion. Also, in theory, he should be learning our system better. Oberto is seen as a help, but still has the weaknesses given above. Nevertheless, this is an attempted correction. When Horry is in, Tim is playing center. We are a smaller team, but Horry is such a high iq player, mister all time clutch shooter, a good passer, ... and we all know Tim can be effective at the 5 as well as the 5. Therefore, despite being small, this is the best option whenever it is important to win.

Free throw shooting. This is easy and notorious. Clearly, the shooting coach is a smart way to solve this problem. He should be able to make a marked improvement with Tim and hopefully with Tony. Tim is a good enough shooter that I think he should shoot a higher percentage. On the other hand, the shooting coach clearly has his work cut out for himself with Tony.
In addition, several of our recent acquisitions are solid free throw shooters. Moreover, they are players who we would want in the game at crunch time. Manu, Nick, Michael, Horry and Barry are all very good free throw shooters. Plus, they are players who we would want to play at the end of the game, excepting barry perhaps. So, we have made good moves and our free throw shooting should be better, especially at the end of the game.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours?
:fro

Spurs košarka kultura
10-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Do mine have to be that long?

ChumpDumper
10-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Shaq kills us.

NZHayden
10-24-2005, 07:26 PM
in terms of lineup? probably the coyote

mrpach
10-24-2005, 07:32 PM
oberto could play as pf and duncan at center, regarding to obertos lack of atheticism

clooneyschick04
10-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Two words: Free throws.

We'll see if that new shooting coach pays off. :o)

Mavs<Spurs
10-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Do mine have to be that long?

Hey, if you dislike people like me bloviating (as Bill O'Reilly calls it) their opinions, no one is forcing you to read others' opinions, so don't. Even dummies like me can figure that one out, so you should be able to figure it out as well. I love the Spurs and I'm ready for the regular season to start already. Therefore, if you want or expect me to change, I'm afraid that you will be disappointed. The only good news for you is I'm a full time graduate student. How much I put my two cents (inflation raised it) in depends upon two variables (a) how much time my classes are requiring and (b) how bored I am.

Mavs<Spurs
10-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Shaq kills us.

You usually have intelligent things to say. :fro :rolleyes

What would you do to solve the Shaq dilemma or is the solution set to that equation the empty set?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Shaq kills us.

:lol

Spurs weakness numero uno.

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2005, 08:31 PM

What would you do to solve the Shaq dilemma or is the solution set to that equation the empty set?

I think the point is that the Spurs don't have a big body that can matchup to Shaq and if the Spurs meet the Heat in the Finals (for example) that could prove to be a significant liability. With all of the moves that the Spurs made, the one thing they didn't accomplish was finding a player who has the sort of size and credibility to hang in with Shaq in a playoff series. If the Spurs meet the Heat in the Finals, that could be a monumental problem. Unless the Spurs can somehow acquire that sort of guy (and they don't exactly grow on trees and aren't available on the cheap) they're going to have some difficulties if that matchup materializes, and no amount of x's and o's will change that result.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2005, 08:37 PM

What would you do to solve the Shaq dilemma or is the solution set to that equation the empty set?Quit fronting him.

spurs=bling
10-24-2005, 08:45 PM
:lol

Free Throws.

thispego
10-24-2005, 09:03 PM
I think the point is that the Spurs don't have a big body that can matchup to Shaq and if the Spurs meet the Heat in the Finals (for example) that could prove to be a significant liability. With all of the moves that the Spurs made, the one thing they didn't accomplish was finding a player who has the sort of size and credibility to hang in with Shaq in a playoff series. If the Spurs meet the Heat in the Finals, that could be a monumental problem. Unless the Spurs can somehow acquire that sort of guy (and they don't exactly grow on trees and aren't available on the cheap) they're going to have some difficulties if that matchup materializes, and no amount of x's and o's will change that result.
the spurs'll just do what they did with the suns, contain everyone but shaq(stoudamire)

SPURS fear NOONE, and they have no weaknesses

ChumpDumper
10-24-2005, 09:05 PM
the spurs'll just do what they did with the suns, contain everyone but shaq(stoudamire)True, but Wade presents a matchup problem as well.

That's parity for you....

Mavs<Spurs
10-24-2005, 09:13 PM

Wow, you're rich in terms of vbookie cash.
Do you offer investment advice as well?
:lol :fro

Mavs<Spurs
10-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Quit fronting him.

So, play behind him and try to stop him from getting good post position.

Mavs<Spurs
10-24-2005, 09:27 PM
So, play behind him and try to stop him from getting good post position.

I guess this shows how dominant a player he is because while this may be better than fronting him, it appears impossible in theory and I don't know if someone could pay me enough to attempt it in practice.

Front him and they pass over the defender who is fronting and Shaq gets an easy dunk.

Double team him and he actually is a good passer.

Play behind him and he is too strong and too big to stop him from getting whatever kind of position he happens to want.

Foul him and you get in foul trouble and even if he only shoots 50%, their offense becomes productive every other possession which is not reflective of a good defensive effort.

Where's Angeluv? Aren't most of the Rasho apologists thinking that Rasho is big enough to actually defend against him?

Rummpd
10-24-2005, 09:48 PM
I miss Kevin Willis!

ChumpDumper
10-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Rasho actually did fairly well playing Shaq straight up his first year during the regular season. The fronting gimmick was rolled out for the playoffs and worked well for half a game. After that, Payton and Fisher just threw it over Rasho to Shaq and Tim never rotated quickly enough to bother his shot, or rather impede his dunk.

Last season, the fronting was "refined" by having Rasho ride Shaq's hip on the low side and attempt to hold his arms about where he would if he were actually fronting him to bother entry passes. Halfassed and quite awkward to say the least and no more effective than actually fronting, since Shaq has a really nice spin move.

My advice? Drop the gimmick and play the percentages that say Rasho has the odd good game against Shaq out of every three or four playing him straight up. Then use Nazr as long as he's here for six hard fouls if nothing else -- he did a decent job of drawing a couple of fouls on Shaq in the 'cane game, I'll give him that.

And since our best lineup includes neither of those centers, Tim simply has to man up and play some real D on Shaq -- there's just no way around it.

GoSpurs21
10-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Before getting Van Exel, we had problems when Tony went out (in terms of taking care of the ball, offense, defense (Beno is not exactly fast).) However, Van Exel cures that problem nicely.you obviously havent seen NVE lately. He did not look faster than any of the guards on the court Saturday night. NVE was burned many times on Sat. I still think Beno should be the back up and NVE should only be used down the stretch run of the season or on 2nd nights of back to backs as Beno understands the Spurs system better than Nick.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2005, 10:40 PM
The best thing about NVE over Beno is he won't face the press every trip down the court.

Solid D
10-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Great post. I agree with most all of your points themanurules.

I would add that Rasho and Nazr tend to move a bit too much on some of their screens for fouls which = TOs. It's not a big weakness, but Fabri hasn't really been that obvious thus far with his good balance and he is very fluid on his rolls.

I'll add to the FT point you made that if TP doesn't get that worked out, his drives will be punished more and he'll have to rely on jumpshooting. If that fails, the Spurs will lose a few games as in years past on not being able to move the defense for higher % shots.

RashoFan
10-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Where's Angeluv? Aren't most of the Rasho apologists thinking that Rasho is big enough to actually defend against him?
If Rasho's increased aggressiveness continues, I think he Can bother Shaq and can do this often...Shaq is a BIG guy and can be difficult to shut down. I haven't seen Shaq shut down but I haven't been following basketball as tight as others in the Forum...Have a great year Rasho...Angel and I are rooting for you all the way!!

ploto
10-24-2005, 11:19 PM

Rasho plays Shaq as well as anyone in the NBA does.

mavsfan1000
10-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Ben Wallace plays Shaq well. Anyway thank the Heat for hurting their chemistry. It is now easier to double team Shaq because the shooters aren't that good from outside. Also their defense is bad.

ZStomp
10-25-2005, 12:27 AM

No team has answers for Shaq. Does this person exist?

sprrs
10-25-2005, 12:54 AM
The major glaring weakness in my mind: The team's average age.

Their major weaknesses in the short term: Only one center who's big enough to play the Shaq's and Yao's of the league

mavsfan1000
10-25-2005, 12:58 AM
The spurs biggest weaknesses are a true point guard and a strong center. Parker is good but more of a scoring guarding and Mohammad isn't too strong. Rasho has no offense but can guard Shaq.

Pistons < Spurs
10-25-2005, 01:39 AM
With all of the moves that the Spurs made, the one thing they didn't accomplish was finding a player who has the sort of size and credibility to hang in with Shaq in a playoff series.

Have no fear. You will not be facing Shaq in the finals. But be prepared for a very hungry Ben Wallace and Sheed, looking to redeem himself.

Spurs košarka kultura
10-25-2005, 02:22 AM
Hey, if you dislike people like me bloviating (as Bill O'Reilly calls it) their opinions, no one is forcing you to read others' opinions, so don't. Even dummies like me can figure that one out, so you should be able to figure it out as well. I love the Spurs and I'm ready for the regular season to start already. Therefore, if you want or expect me to change, I'm afraid that you will be disappointed. The only good news for you is I'm a full time graduate student. How much I put my two cents (inflation raised it) in depends upon two variables (a) how much time my classes are requiring and (b) how bored I am.

Are you freakin serious? Can you really be that self-conscience of one tiny joke? Damn bro you need take a lead from the "chronic" thread and burn one up or get laid or something :flipoff

BronxCowboy
10-25-2005, 06:36 AM
I'm afraid the one major weakness of the Spurs this year is the lack of preimeter defense from the bench. Once the starters go out, who is there that really plays outstanding D? Don't count on Melvin Sanders making the team. Also, it may not matter this year, but the age of the bench is concerning. I think the Spurs need to starting looking for some younger players (that they might actually keep) ASAP.

Phenomanul
10-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Themselves....

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Are you freakin serious? Can you really be that self-conscience of one tiny joke? Damn bro you need take a lead from the "chronic" thread and burn one up or get laid or something :flipoff

self conscious you mean.

How much was it for your advice?
I probably got about what I paid for it.
Thanks.

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
The spurs biggest weaknesses are a true point guard and a strong center. Parker is good but more of a scoring guarding and Mohammad isn't too strong. Rasho has no offense but can guard Shaq.

True

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm afraid the one major weakness of the Spurs this year is the lack of preimeter defense from the bench. Once the starters go out, who is there that really plays outstanding D? Don't count on Melvin Sanders making the team. Also, it may not matter this year, but the age of the bench is concerning. I think the Spurs need to starting looking for some younger players (that they might actually keep) ASAP.

Good point, I hadn't really thought about that.

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 12:40 PM
FT shooting is our only weakness

I wish that were completely true.
I have my fears that we do have other issues too.

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Have no fear. You will not be facing Shaq in the finals. But be prepared for a very hungry Ben Wallace and Sheed, looking to redeem himself.

Okay, you all have a very good team and Miami does have at least two issues: outside shooting and team chemistry.
Still, imo if Wade and Shaq had been healthy, we would have faced Miami in the Finals.
I kind of lean towards Miami as the most likely team to come out of the East, but all three teams are legitimate contenders in the East.

We have to remember that Indiana, despite their injuries and the players who were out, still tested Detroit. Without injuries and Artest back, it could put them over the top.

Also, Shaq at 70 % during the Playoffs and Wade at 50 % in the last couple of games in the Eastern Finals and yet Miami still almost beat you guys. If Shaq and Wade are healthy, they might be able to beat you all. But as I say, Miami threw away their good, consistent three point threats.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying there are some reasons to think otherwise.

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 12:50 PM
The major glaring weakness in my mind: The team's average age.

Their major weaknesses in the short term: Only one center who's big enough to play the Shaq's and Yao's of the league

Okay, so this must be Rasho that you are talking about.

Age is not yet a factor in my opinion, but in a couple of years you will have a good point. On the other hand, Tim's dominance is due to his mastery of the fundamentals not his athleticism. If he were like Amare who is completely dependent upon being a sic athlete, then I would totally agree with you.
I think 32 is about the turning point.

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Themselves....

Now this kind of goes towards the 2004 Laker problem I think. Also, what happened in games 3 and 4 and what could have happened in game 5 if not for the heroic efforts of Robert Horry who put on his cape.

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 12:57 PM
The best thing about NVE over Beno is he won't face the press every trip down the court.

Exactly right. We all saw what happened in the Finals. It wasn't pretty.

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Great post. I agree with most all of your points themanurules.

I would add that Rasho and Nazr tend to move a bit too much on some of their screens for fouls which = TOs. It's not a big weakness, but Fabri hasn't really been that obvious thus far with his good balance and he is very fluid on his rolls.

I'll add to the FT point you made that if TP doesn't get that worked out, his drives will be punished more and he'll have to rely on jumpshooting. If that fails, the Spurs will lose a few games as in years past on not being able to move the defense for higher % shots.

Good points. NBA tv or ESPN classics replayed game two of the Houston Dallas series. In it, Doug Collins points out that Yao sets great screens, giving TMac several good options (in addition to not turning the ball over). Turnovers really hurt us in the Finals. So, anything that we can do to cut down on them is going to really help us. I guess this is where the fundamentals are so important. Hey if Larry Bird can be, in some people's opinion (me for one), the third best player of all time with his relative lack of athleticism, it just goes to show me how important mastering the fundamentals is and how far it goes in determining if a team wins or loses.

Mavs<Spurs
10-25-2005, 01:06 PM
self conscious you mean.

Thanks.

Besides, its not like I went and loaded my gun or something.
Lets calm down.

SenorSpur
10-25-2005, 01:54 PM

Methinks you've mistaken the Spurs weaknesses for the Mavs weaknesses. Insert the names of Terry and Dampier into your statement and you'll be correct. :blah

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Fertile wives, apparently.

sprrs
10-25-2005, 02:08 PM
Okay, so this must be Rasho that you are talking about.

Age is not yet a factor in my opinion, but in a couple of years you will have a good point. On the other hand, Tim's dominance is due to his mastery of the fundamentals not his athleticism. If he were like Amare who is completely dependent upon being a sic athlete, then I would totally agree with you.
I think 32 is about the turning point.

Yea I was talking about Rasho in the second point.

As for the age thing, you're right it shouldn't be a faactor yet, but the way the team is currently built it'll only last a few more years unless the Spurs sign some young players to take over after say Bowen and/or Finley/Barry/retire. That's why I'm hoping Sanders gets signed so for the moment at least they'll have taken a step in the right direction.

As for Tim yeah I don't think age will affect his game drastically, if only because he doesn't rely on athleticism much if at all. We'll be fine with him but his role players could affect him game if they are on the decline

Spurs košarka kultura
10-25-2005, 04:40 PM
self conscious you mean.

Thanks.

Wow a spelling comeback, well you got me there. I guess I'll keep all humor aside so as not to offend you. So what is it you study?

Spurs košarka kultura
10-25-2005, 04:50 PM
So what is it you study?

BTW that was a serious question so don't get your panties in a wad.

As for a weakness: Chemistry!!! Though I don't think it will be a problem, you never know. Is it possible NVE throws a temper-tantrum and gets thrown in the doghouse? I'm not ruling it out.

I'm not worried about age however, those who are up there in age, are the same ones that will find themselves getting quite a bit of rest. Besides, the youth is where we need it: PG.I don't believe age will be a legitimate concern for at least two more years. As for Mavs1000 How the hell is Tony not a pure point? Simply because he dosen't rack up 15 assists a night?

SWC Bonfire
10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Fertile wives, apparently.

Prime-time soap opera actresses.

SWC Bonfire
10-25-2005, 04:54 PM
No team has answers for Shaq. Does this person exist?

Yes, his name is Shaq's big toe.

mavsfan1000
10-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Methinks you've mistaken the Spurs weaknesses for the Mavs weaknesses. Insert the names of Terry and Dampier into your statement and you'll be correct. :blah
Terry>Parker
Dampier>Mohammad. Still the spurs are better. Right?

AI-square
10-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Weaknesses? What weaknesses?

Well, FT shooting is a bit of a problem for the Spurs, although they have won 3 rings despite that. I think age is the second. I can't foresee the Spurs not getting to the NBA Finals this year at least, but I think it will be hard to maintain that success with the age of Horry, Bowen, Finley, NVE, etc..

sprrs
10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Terry>Parker
Dampier>Mohammad. Still the spurs are better. Right?

Dirk doesn't seem to think so

ploto
10-26-2005, 01:59 AM
After watching some games in person, I believe the greatest weakness is the defense off the bench. That line-up better shoot well and attempt to outscore their opponents because they won't be stopping them anytime soon. Of course, I doubt they will all play at once like they have done some in the pre-season.

mavsfan1000
10-26-2005, 02:21 PM
I agree. The spurs make up for their powerful offense off the bench with terrible defense there also. The starters will need to play alot this year for the spurs to win alot of games.