PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Blazers - Oct. 20, 2018

timvp
10-21-2018, 02:31 AM
Well, the San Antonio Spurs aren't going to go undefeated this season. The good guys fell to 1-1 with a 121-108 loss in Portland against the Trail Blazers. After both teams struggled to score in a first quarter that ended with the game tied at 22, the Blazers got their offense rolling and totaled 75 points in the middle two periods. The Spurs were never able to mount a serious run in the second half.

Despite the defeat, there were a few bright spots. The Spurs only turned it over six times, tallied 29 assists and once again dominated on the offensive glass. The defense was poor overall but give the Blazers credit -- they connected on a number of tough shots, shared the ball well and took full advantage of San Antonio's lack of defensive stopper on the perimeter.

LaMarcus Aldridge
https://i.imgur.com/1nluyNF.png
LaMarcus Aldridge had his moments but simply didn't do enough. He was defended by smaller, weaker opponents most of the night but never really asserted himself. The Spurs needed him to be more physical on the offensive end, both with the ball and off the ball. To Aldridge's credit, his passing was impressive and he had moments of assertiveness in which he got whatever he wanted. On defense, Aldridge was mostly good in the paint but his willingness to help out on the perimeter was lacking for much of the night.
Grade: B-
Summary: While Aldridge was fine, the Spurs needed him to be more than fine.

-------------

DeMar DeRozan
https://i.imgur.com/ZKxGADZ.png
The Spurs are asking a lot of DeMar DeRozan early this season. Not only is he the go-to scorer, he's the go-to ball-handler when things get dicey, he's the only true playmaker and he's tasked to chase the other team's most dangerous swingman. Given the many responsibilities on his plate, DeRozan is doing remarkably well. His playmaking was particularly impressive against Portland. Not only can he break down a defense, he's also an outstanding passer with very good court vision. When DeRozan wasn't racking up one of his nine assists, he was looking to score via imaginary forays off the dribble or bullying smaller defenders in the post. If the he keeps playing at this level offensively, the Spurs will boast one of the better engines in the league. Defensively against the Blazers, DeRozan was decent. He had a few poor possessions individually on that end (specifically when trying to defend dribble penetration) but he was attentive to his team-defense responsibilities much more often than not.
Grade: A-
Summary: DeRozan is being asked to do a lot and he did just about all he could.

-------------

Rudy Gay
https://i.imgur.com/vqYr2we.png
Unfortunately, Rudy Gay looks injured. When he's trying to move his feet quickly, it's like he has a rock in his shoe. I haven't heard any official word regarding what ails Gay but I'm assuming it's the right heel bursitis that caused him to miss games last season and the final exhibition contest this season. Despite the limited mobility, Gay winced through the pain and had himself an okay game. He knocked down a pair of three-pointers and used his size and strength to get a number of good looks. Gay also rebounded well and threw his body around in the paint. Where his injury limits him the most is on defense. He can't stay in front of anyone and gets wiped out by screens.
Grade: B-
Summary: Gay is trying to tough it out but the Spurs might have to consider letting him heal.

-------------

Bryn Forbes
https://i.imgur.com/yXVIEAs.png
Bryn Forbes had a rollercoaster of an affair but overall I thought it was a step in the right direction. Early, he was hesitant with his shot and was second-guessing wide open jumpers. He eventually found a rhythm in the third quarter, scoring 11 of his 17 points. His decision-making wasn't crisp but he didn't turn the ball over. His ball-handling looked better but that was mostly because Damian Lillard rarely showed interest on defense. All in all, if Forbes can knock down shots and limit mistakes on offense, the Spurs can't ask for much more. Defensively, while he had a couple of horrendous possessions, I thought he was relatively effective -- with "relatively" being the keyword. On a normal scale, his D would have been considered well below par. On this night? Forbes might have been the team's best perimeter defender.
Grade: B
Summary: Forbes made mistakes but did enough good things to balance it out.

-------------

Jakob Poeltl
https://i.imgur.com/FUIlW00.png
That was a step in the wrong direction. Jakob Poeltl fit on the court like a square peg in a round hole. Offensively, he just got in the way for the most part. The Austrian had a couple of good passes and set a couple of hard screens but was otherwise clogging the driving lanes. Defensively, his pick-and-roll defense was non-existent; he managed to get benched twice for failing to provide any help defense on the perimeter. I also thought he was too soft on the defensive glass. Poeltl is going to have to play with more ferocity if he wants to stay in the rotation. Let's hope that comes as he gets more familiar with his surroundings.
Grade: C-
Summary: Poeltl needs to figure out how to help.

-------------

Patty Mills
https://i.imgur.com/gTa4B5z.png
In the first half, Patty Mills might have played his worst two quarters of basketball of his career. He was absolutely terrible. Defensively, he was so bad that I don't even know the adjectives to describe it. It was like he was stuck in mud. Players were blowing by him left and right and he acted like he was powerless to stop it. Offensively in the first half, Mills was also really, really bad. He wasn't moving the ball up the court with any kind of tempo and was just lazily going through the motions. Thankfully, Mills played better in the second half. His defense was still bad but he showed a little bit of heart on that end. On offense, he played with more purpose and was able to impact things positively at times. Overall, though, the Spurs need Mills to wake up and show consistent effort, at the very least. San Antonio needs him to be more than a well-paid cheerleader who dispenses corporate knowledge off the court. They need him on the court, too.
Grade: D
Summary: Mills improved after not looking like an NBA player in the first half.

-------------

Davis Bertans
https://i.imgur.com/ucY2jSF.png
The bad: We know Davis Bertans doesn't grab many defensive boards but he needs to do a better job of boxing out than he did against the Blazers. The good: Most everything else. Bertans played a lot of small forward on defense and he looked capable. He moved his feet well and used his spindly appendages to break up a few plays. On offense, he demonstrated good shot selection, authored a few nice passes and generally made things easier for players around him. It's been a good start to the season for Bertans after a poor preseason.
Grade: A-
Summary: Bertans' play against Portland was a definite silver lining.

-------------

Pau Gasol
https://i.imgur.com/oF0jVre.png
I don't have much to complain about regarding Pau Gasol's play. He used his size and length well in the paint on both ends of the court. On offense, he helped out by spreading the court with his shooting and even drove down the lane for a dunk when the Blazers closed out too aggressively. My only qualm was he slowed the offense down too much at times by holding the ball for too long in the post. On D, he was another big who failed to properly rotate out on the perimeter.
Grade: B+
Summary: Gasol produced well and looks good to start the season.

-------------

Marco Belinelli
https://i.imgur.com/hP9vIFY.png
Marco Belinelli's overaggressiveness is a feature, not a bug. Against Portland, that attribute did more harm than good. He took a number of questionable shots and made matters worse by blowing the pair of easy looks he had. I liked his passing and overall hustling but he didn't produce nearly enough this evening. His uneven play on offense carried over to defense where he was also wildly inconsistent.
Summary: Belinelli was a ball of energetic mistakes.

-------------

Dante Cunningham
https://i.imgur.com/W3QWUCI.png
For the second straight game to begin the season, Dante Cunningham was part of the regular rotation. I just don't see the fit, though. The Blazers were basically ignoring him on offense, which really hurt the spacing. On defense, Cunningham isn't quick enough to help out on the perimeter. So what, exactly, is the point of playing him? I don't understand -- there's just not enough skill or production to offset his lack of strengths. To his credit, Cunningham illustrated that he can dribble and pass a little bit. That's nice, I guess.
Summary: He tries hard and he's physical but I don't see how Cunningham is supposed to help.

-------------

Pop
https://i.imgur.com/x7B1It7.jpg

Grade: C
Summary: Pop is coaching a short-handed squad but I didn't like a handful of his decisions. His leash with Mills, especially in the first half, was much too long. Pop has to do something when Mills is getting roasted on defense and is asleep at the wheel on offense. The coaching staff must also have plans for Cunningham that I simply don't understand because I don't see anything he's bringing to the table. On a happy note, it's great that Pop has allowed DeRozan the freedom to spread his wings on the offensive end. DeRozan has responded with really good play and his chemistry with Aldridge is already very impressive.

Looking ahead: This wasn't a pretty game but even championship Spurs teams of yesteryear struggled in Portland. Considering everything, this wasn't a bad performance. Now San Antonio heads to Los Angeles to take on a Lakers team thirsting for their first win of the season. That won't be an easy game, either, but it should be more winnable than tonight's game. A split on the two-game road trip would be an early season success story.

TheGreatYacht
10-21-2018, 02:48 AM
Rudy Gay has to our 6th man if we even want a chance of making the playoffs. That 5 man unit of Gasol-Bertans-Cunningham-Belinelli-Mills has to be worst bench in the league (and I don't think it's close). There's no ball handlers in the lineup and Marco is going to be forced to chuck up terrible shots as a result of Gasol attempting and failing to create something out of the post. Moving him to the bench would also get Aldridge more involved in the offense. LMA looked like his 2017 self where you would often forget he was even on the court when Kawhi and Parker were doing their thing. He needs his touches if you want to maximize his effort on both sides.

TimDunkem
10-21-2018, 02:59 AM
Cunningham's story is simple. He's a poor man's jack-of-all-trades, D- caliber type of player, willing to sign here for whatever he can, who also happens to fit into most lineups.

Yes, he fucking sucks.

But he's also available!

Hoops Czar
10-21-2018, 03:31 AM
"...this wasn't a bad performance."

I guess defense doesn't get taken into account anymore. If the Spurs allow the Lakers to shoot 54% from the floor and 47% from behind the arc, they'll get throttled.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-21-2018, 03:47 AM
"...this wasn't a bad performance."

I guess defense doesn't get taken into account anymore. If the Spurs allow the Lakers to shoot 54% from the floor and 47% from behind the arc, they'll get throttled.

What defense? Look at the scores since the season began. Nobody defends, or rather is allowed to defend, anymore.

tbdog
10-21-2018, 04:03 AM
I'm not sure what is meant to be done with mills. We have no guards for him to be benched. Forbes is clearly the better player.

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2018, 04:16 AM
patty mills stealing 50mil or kawhi stealing 19m last year?.... lol shittymills

Hoops Czar
10-21-2018, 04:18 AM
What defense? Look at the scores since the season began. Nobody defends, or rather is allowed to defend, anymore.

True, but the scores are more indicative of the pace of play. The Spurs were hemorrhaging points all night and while they scored 108 points, they only shot 42% from the floor. They can't keep up with high octane offenses if they're going allow them to shoot a high %. Team's are going to score but the Spurs need to keep the opponent's efficiency low if they want any chance of winning games on the road.

TDMVPDPOY
10-21-2018, 04:20 AM
spurs have no perimeter defense, they basically gave 3 players away in the offseason which made up the bulk of the spurs perimeter defense

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-21-2018, 05:18 AM
True, but the scores are more indicative of the pace of play. The Spurs were hemorrhaging points all night and while they scored 108 points, they only shot 42% from the floor. They can't keep up with high octane offenses if they're going allow them to shoot a high %. Team's are going to score but the Spurs need to keep the opponent's efficiency low if they want any chance of winning games on the road.

This team is going to be bottom ten in perimeter defense this season regardless, simply because of the personnel. if they're going to win they'll do it with offense and like you said they didn't shoot well enough, that was a bigger problem than the expected poor defense.

r0drig0lac
10-21-2018, 05:27 AM
Spurs have no slashers, and they have no human material to defend the perimeter and the pick and roll against good teams, but the worst is the lack of off-ball movement.
While none of the pgs (walker, murray, white) returns, we should try Demar as a point, with Bellinelli, Bertans, Gay and Aldridge, and only put Forbes or Mills on the court for a minimum amount of minutes possible

Longlonglongtimelurk
10-21-2018, 05:31 AM
Thanks TimVP. I’m sure there’s plenty of longtime Spurstalk visitors/ lurkers that are stoked to have you back writing these grades.

byrontx
10-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Truth.

ceperez
10-21-2018, 11:27 AM
I honestly beginning to suspect PATFO's ability to evaluate talent.

What does Cunningham exactly do? He can't play SF (too slow) and can't play PF(too small). Has anyone seen him play elite defense?

Thunder1
10-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Thanks TimVP. I’m sure there’s plenty of longtime Spurstalk visitors/ lurkers that are stoked to have you back writing these grades.
Yes, thanx so much..they're awfully appreciated..

xtremesteven33
10-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Great to read these again. :tu

Spurs fever
10-21-2018, 11:32 AM
Good stuff

TimDunkem
10-21-2018, 11:48 AM

What does Cunningham exactly do? He can't play SF (too slow) and can't play PF(too small). Has anyone seen him play elite defense?

Except he can do those things. No. Not well. No. Not at a winning level, but he's available. I'm telling you, he was one of the few scrubs willing to sign here so they oblige him with minutes.

FkLA
10-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Cunningham will eventually be cut from the rotation, imo. Pop is loyal to guys that are ingrained within the Spurs culture like Patty or TP but he has no problem not playing new guys that turn out to be useless (see: Jeff Errors).

acoelho1
10-21-2018, 11:59 AM
This team is not very exciting. Couldn’t even watch all of the game. Let’s hope Walker gets some burn when he’s back. Also, I rather miss the playoffs because with no Murray, we are not making any noise this year.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-21-2018, 12:41 PM
This team is not very exciting. Couldn’t even watch all of the game. Let’s hope Walker gets some burn when he’s back. Also, I rather miss the playoffs because with no Murray, we are not making any noise this year.

They were brutal to watch last season as well

emanueldavidginobili
10-21-2018, 12:43 PM
I also agree with PATFO ability to evaluate talent. There’s young athletic players on every single team that this team could use. And some how the spurs get stuck with players that no other team would really want. They still think who cares about Athletic ability let’s get hard working loyal obedient players. This Spurs team is by FAR the most unathletic team in the NBA. Forbes, Mills, Marco, Gasol, Poeltl. Even our scrubs aren’t athletic Cunningham, Pondexter and Eubanks. This team will continue to get dominated pushed around and blown by on defense. And it’s not even really a skill thing it’s just the lack of sheer athleticism. All these players that come and play against the Spurs know these guys are a joke on defense. This has to be the least intimidating team.

BackHome
10-21-2018, 12:54 PM
I agree I liked that Forbes has 17 pts but when your PG has maybe 1 assist it's never a good thing.

Spurs have to get bigger and more athletic I love Mills but he has to go and also Forbes and Gasol after this season.

Have no fucking clue why we have Cunnigham and Pointdexeter on this team........Unless we planning on Tanking?...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.................. ...:hungry:

r0drig0lac
10-21-2018, 01:06 PM
I also agree with PATFO ability to evaluate talent. There’s young athletic players on every single team that this team could use. And some how the spurs get stuck with players that no other team would really want. They still think who cares about Athletic ability let’s get hard working loyal obient players. This Spurs team is by FAR the most unathletic team in the NBA. Forbes, Mills, Marco, Gasol, Poeltl. Even our scrubs aren’t athletic Cunningham, Pondexter and Eubanks. This team will continue to get dominated pushed around and blown by on defense. And it’s not even really a skill thing it’s just the lack of sheer athleticism. All these players that come and play against the Spurs know these guys are a joke on defense. This has to be the least intimidating team.

x10000

objective
10-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Most grades are too forgiving for a team that was basically double digits down the whole second half

wildbill2u
10-21-2018, 02:10 PM
I'm trying to assimilate what my eyes are seeing on Patty's defensive play. He is plenty fast enough I think, but I see him getting scraped off on screens and the opponent running away from him. I could understand if players were simply muscling up on a smaller shorter player, but he just seems like with all his hustle he can't keep positioned defensively.

Maybe it's just my lyin' eyes.

slick'81
10-21-2018, 02:21 PM
I'm trying to assimilate what my eyes are seeing on Patty's defensive play. He is plenty fast enough I think, but I see him getting scraped off on screens and the opponent running away from him. I could understand if players were simply muscling up on a smaller shorter player, but he just seems like with all his hustle he can't keep positioned defensively.

Maybe it's just my lyin' eyes.

i swear i think he used to actually draw charges years ago

SpursDynasty85
10-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Cunningham isn't being aggressive. He actually has a decent jump shot up to the baseline 3. What he doesn't do that well is play in a system with a ton of ball movement I think. I think he likes the slower pace game and he is squarely in the second half of his career so unless he can start playing with more rhythm and aggressiveness on the offensive, I say give Metu a shot. Pop does not want to discourage the veterans this early in the season just yet. It makes sense. Once a few more games in the season they are failing and we are losing then we change things up a bit especially on back to backs.

sasaint
10-21-2018, 02:39 PM
i swear i think he used to actually draw charges years ago

Unfortunately, Pop remembers those days, too. Never mind the present.

TDomination
10-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the write up timvp. I so badly want this team to do well because I am loving demars game. I dont qant to waste a year if his prime but our players are not doing him any favors except for Aldridge. .Him and LMA make a really good duo. Problem is when they go to the bench. This team just does not look good at all. I think Gay does need to go to the bench to help them out. And pop somehow needs to find a way to make it to where either LMA or DeRozan are playing at all times. At least until white and Walker are back.

Hoops Czar
10-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the write up timvp. I so badly want this team to do well because I am loving demars game. I dont qant to waste a year if his prime but our players are not doing him any favors except for Aldridge. .Him and LMA make a really good duo. Problem is when they go to the bench. This team just does not look good at all. I think Gay does need to go to the bench to help them out. And pop somehow needs to find a way to make it to where either LMA or DeRozan are playing at all times. At least until white and Walker are back.

Two words... ROSTER CONSTRUCTION! Don't blame the role players becasuse they stink. They stunk before they got here. Blame the PATFO for not having a GOAT power forward to hide behind. Below average FO doing below average things.

Fusternino
10-21-2018, 03:56 PM

Well, hopefully Dubs fall apart after this year with Klay's dad whispering into his ear to make more money on the Lakers and KD skipping town. League will go back to normal, then.

We have injuries and still need to draft a new big, lengthy SF. It's going to be a waste of a year no matter what.

BackHome
10-21-2018, 04:25 PM
With out Murray and White and Walker our bench is probably the worse in the NBA and I am not kidding. We are going to get killed the next few months and I agree Gay should go to bench and Pop needs to manage his minutes or he will get hurt again.

The only thing I want to see win or loose is Bertans and Metu play and get better. Also love what I am seeing from Deroz and LMA.

But it I am praying for getting a 5 to 12 first round pick.

007nites
10-21-2018, 05:14 PM
I felt Forbes played pretty good defense this game on Lillard/CJ but they just hit tough shots. The rotations defensively on the perimeter were terrible and everyone looked lost. Most of the time Aldridge was stuck in the middle of it. He had to either gamble and defend the drive or stay on the perimeter on every pick and roll the Blazers did. There wasn't enough communication. This is where we miss Murray.

Slippy
10-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Thanks for write ups.

When you got bryn and patty running plays for themselfs, jacking up long jumpers it hurts the spurs pace when they miss. Resulted in the blazers smalls running back for open easy shots. Spurs needs to go through a half court setup involving demar or LA. Slow the game down to a grind, allow the team defense to get back.

HankChinaski
10-21-2018, 06:31 PM
Cliff jumpers, just let them jump.

We had a decent roster thay was going to be competitive. Can't blame the front office for 3 injuries in the backcourt in preseason.

God I could only imagine what would be available for the heap pile right now that could pass as salvageable with what they have remaining in cap space.

I have been under the impression based off the low risk signings that the front office an coaching staff is running it with the current squad all season unless a hail mary of a deal or tic tac toe of events leads to a guy getting waived that can connect all the dots. Which I highly doubt.

They just need to hold the course till White an Walker can put in a few minutes. That should mitigate the defensive tire cones current in the backcourt.

Regardless I am liking the current season so far. It is a far cry of what has been on court over the last two decades.

Coach X
10-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Thanks for write ups.

When you got bryn and patty running plays for themselfs, jacking up long jumpers it hurts the spurs pace when they miss. Resulted in the blazers smalls running back for open easy shots. Spurs needs to go through a half court setup involving demar or LA. Slow the game down to a grind, allow the team defense to get back.

Agree. This Spurs team can't play that fast. We play big and strong so we should play a lot inside, shoot a lot into the paint and go for the offensive rebound with 2 players regularly. Not a flashy modern millennial basketball? Maybe, but that must be the style for our roster.
In the defensive end, there is only one way for this team to get stops: deny 3pt shooting at any cost, pushing the shooters to penetrate against our bigs.
None of this strategies will work perfectly nor good enough maybe, but you have to adapt your strategy to your players and we can't trade 80% of the roster for athletic wings.

Thanks for the write-up timvp. I think Pau's game was poor in defense, invisible in the long distance cover/help and being beaten by Nurkic next to the rim several times. It was clearly visible how pull-up shooters got anything they wanted but to me it was more concerning the absence of any kind of interior help/rotation in the few times these shooters were forcer to drive to the rim. I remember Gay, Marco not even trying to help and all our bigs receiving in-your-face layups. Mills and Forbes were exposed yesterday but can't ignore what other players did.

I see around here the classic overreaction to a single bad/good game. Relax guys, we're not a contender team and injuries have plagued our PG rotation and backcourt defense so get used to having bad defensive games on the road.

james evans
10-21-2018, 08:23 PM
How does Mills get anything other than an F- ?

BackHome
10-22-2018, 12:02 AM
I think Forbes and Mills combined assist for the game was 2

rjv
10-22-2018, 10:16 AM
mills looks like i do at the Y, in the summer, trying to guard the local 17 year old varsity players.

spurs10
10-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the grades! My only positive note is that Mills played so poorly that maybe he'll drop the 'I'm mentoring Forbes' attitude or realize he needs to play a lot better if that's the case.

Rick Von Braun
10-22-2018, 08:54 PM
It is too early to tell, so we need to wait a bit more and see how this team finally gels.

However, this is looking more and more like the 2001-02 roster. Not position by position, they are clearly two different teams, and the Spurs '01/'02 were significantly better IMHO. I am talking about the team built with a bunch of veterans with good "corporate knowledge" that were clearly washed out, like Steve Smith, Danny Ferry, Terry Porter, a few straight up bad players like Mark Bryant, Amal McCaskill and the indomitable Cherokee Parks, and a few unproven pieces with potential, like Tony Parker and Stephen Jackson. That team still won 58 games in the regular season, but it was not ready to make a push in the playoffs. This year's team has a bunch good corporate knowledge players that may be washed up, like Mills, Gasol, Bellineli, or straight washed up players with little corporate knowledge like Cunningham and Pondexter, with a few (semi)unproven pieces with potential that are sadly injured (Dejounte Murray, Derrick White, Lonnie Walker).

Very unfortunately, I don't see any young Manu Ginobili stashed in Europe walking next year into the Spurs locker room :-( I feel like swimming in mediocrity, and this is going to be tough for many Spurs' fans. Welcome to the '80s and '90s.