PDA

View Full Version : Jon Gruden playing chess, Jerry Jones playing connect four

Millennial_Messiah
10-22-2018, 08:42 PM
I previously questioned the Raiders' long-term commitment to Gruden, but no more.

Gruden is a downright genius. Many complained after the Mack trade, while the strategy all along was brilliant and NOT intended to win now. The Raiders now have a whopping 3 first round picks, all of which will likely be in the top half, if not the top 10. Gruden may land not 1, not 2, but 3 blue-chip pro bowl caliber NFL players in the 2019 draft. Better yet, it's a strong defensive draft, and with Herbert staying in school, this may be the worst QB class since at least 2013. The Raiders will have a lot of defenders to choose from as they look to rebuild by 2020. If I'm the Raiders, I trade Carr for whatever they can get right now (2nd and/or 3rd?), load up on defense in the draft, and draft a QB in the likely to be QB-loaded 2020 draft class with a likely high pick in that round. Meanwhile, their young talented defense in 2019 can go through its growing pains and lose and learn to win like the 2010-2011 era Legion of Boom in Seattle.

At the same time, this trade reeks of utter desperation on the part of Jerruh and the Cowturds. Amari Cooper is a good, but not great, receiver. This isn't the 1980s, you don't trade a 1st round pick for a receiver who's not in the HOF category, you just don't. Especially when your biggest problem on offense is not the receivers, but the 4th round talent at quarterback. This trade might net them a couple extra wins for this year, which might very well succeed in getting the Jones' and Jason Garrett into their ultimate happy place: 8-8. That's it. They're great in 8-8. No playoffs and no premium draft pick.

Very tragic day to be a Cowturds fan, honestly. Just abhorrent.

But if I'm a Raiders fan, while this team will be lucky to win 5 more games combined between the rest of this year and all of next year, they will have an elite young rusher in a few short years, right around the time they are set to move to Vegas. I'm elated, excited, and stoked.

Spurtacular
10-28-2018, 08:55 PM
I might go to a game in Vegas. Especially if it's Monday night.

JohnnyD
11-05-2018, 03:56 PM
I previously questioned the Raiders' long-term commitment to Gruden, but no more.

Gruden is a downright genius. Many complained after the Mack trade, while the strategy all along was brilliant and NOT intended to win now. The Raiders now have a whopping 3 first round picks, all of which will likely be in the top half, if not the top 10. Gruden may land not 1, not 2, but 3 blue-chip pro bowl caliber NFL players in the 2019 draft. Better yet, it's a strong defensive draft, and with Herbert staying in school, this may be the worst QB class since at least 2013. The Raiders will have a lot of defenders to choose from as they look to rebuild by 2020. If I'm the Raiders, I trade Carr for whatever they can get right now (2nd and/or 3rd?), load up on defense in the draft, and draft a QB in the likely to be QB-loaded 2020 draft class with a likely high pick in that round. Meanwhile, their young talented defense in 2019 can go through its growing pains and lose and learn to win like the 2010-2011 era Legion of Boom in Seattle.

At the same time, this trade reeks of utter desperation on the part of Jerruh and the Cowturds. Amari Cooper is a good, but not great, receiver. This isn't the 1980s, you don't trade a 1st round pick for a receiver who's not in the HOF category, you just don't. Especially when your biggest problem on offense is not the receivers, but the 4th round talent at quarterback. This trade might net them a couple extra wins for this year, which might very well succeed in getting the Jones' and Jason Garrett into their ultimate happy place: 8-8. That's it. They're great in 8-8. No playoffs and no premium draft pick.

Very tragic day to be a Cowturds fan, honestly. Just abhorrent.

But if I'm a Raiders fan, while this team will be lucky to win 5 more games combined between the rest of this year and all of next year, they will have an elite young rusher in a few short years, right around the time they are set to move to Vegas. I'm elated, excited, and stoked.

WSU has a QB better than Herbert, his name is Gardner Minshew, but.......is he better than Derek Carr?

Gruden has a plan obviously but so does everybody else. The Chiefs. Chargers are miles ahead of the Raiders.

I get the impression Gruden expects his players to love the game and sleep with footballs and dream football dreams, that ain't happening. The days of win one for the Gipper are over. That might work in HS.

3-13 is the best the Raiders can do and that's with the Chiefs laying down in week 17 playing backups.

Blake
11-05-2018, 04:14 PM
WSU has a QB better than Herbert, his name is Gardner Minshew, but.......is he better than Derek Carr?

Gruden has a plan obviously but so does everybody else. The Chiefs. Chargers are miles ahead of the Raiders.

I get the impression Gruden expects his players to love the game and sleep with footballs and dream football dreams, that ain't happening. The days of win one for the Gipper are over. That might work in HS.

3-13 is the best the Raiders can do and that's with the Chiefs laying down in week 17 playing backups.

How many times is Fats gonna be banned from this place?

Millennial_Messiah
11-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Chiefs won't be playing backups if they're only 1 game ahead of the Patriots or tied. They know the extreme value of playing at home in Arrowhead in the AFCCG or going to the Fortress of Goodell's Favorite Team. Which would likely decide who goes winter fishing or who goes to the Super Bowl.

JohnnyD
11-06-2018, 11:53 AM
Chiefs won't be playing backups if they're only 1 game ahead of the Patriots or tied. They know the extreme value of playing at home in Arrowhead in the AFCCG or going to the Fortress of Goodell's Favorite Team. Which would likely decide who goes winter fishing or who goes to the Super Bowl.

Obviously talking about if they have everything wrapped up that they can control.

Millennial_Messiah
11-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Obviously talking about if they have everything wrapped up that they can control.

The Chiefs H2H loss at New England spices things up there big time. Chiefs should be thinking run the table right now, though it's likely NE will lose at least one more game in the next month or so (Vikings, or @ Miami?, @ Pittsburgh), the Chiefs can't count on it.

JohnnyD
11-06-2018, 02:46 PM
The Chiefs H2H loss at New England spices things up there big time. Chiefs should be thinking run the table right now, though it's likely NE will lose at least one more game in the next month or so (Vikings, or @ Miami?, @ Pittsburgh), the Chiefs can't count on it.

Keep in mind the Chiefs could lose to the Rams in Mexico City.

The Pats at Pitt on Dec 16....ouch. I do see them winning all their other games however, and could beat the Steelers.

Going to be tight.

Millennial_Messiah
11-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Keep in mind the Chiefs could lose to the Rams in Mexico City.

The Pats at Pitt on Dec 16....ouch. I do see them winning all their other games however, and could beat the Steelers.

Going to be tight.
They tend to lose at Miami more often than not in the Brady era. Keep an eye out on the weather. If it's 80+ and/or humid, advantage Dolphins. If it's under 75 and not wet or sultry, advantage Patriots. Brady tends to melt in the heat, which of course is not typically a problem in the playoffs.

I don't see NE going 14-2 and running the table... 12-4 or 13-3 is much more likely. If they do lose at Pittsburgh, NE could fall to 3rd seed and play in their first wild card round in almost a decade.

Millennial_Messiah
11-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Side note... I wish I was a Raiders fan... Raiders fans have it good, tbh... if I'm a Raiders fan, my rooting interests for the rest of the season would be (in no particular order):

1) Whoever the Raiders play

2) Whoever the Cowturds play

3) Whoever the Bears play

I don't get why Jerry didn't make the 1st round pick top-10 protected like you see in the NBA all the time... so if we finish bottom 10, it automatically becomes a third-rounder instead. Or something like that.