PDA

View Full Version : Spurs need to do away with 2 big lineups

TD 21
10-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Aldridge needs to be the permanent starting C, with Gasol backing him up (sure, they'll be the odd matchup where they can play a few minutes together) and Poeltl out of the rotation until they can either find a trade for Gasol or move on in some capacity after the season.

It'll be easier to do when White and Walker return and boost the perimeter depth, but in the meantime, they can facilitate it by waiving Pondexter and utilizing their open 2-way spot on a young wing and PG. Let them soak up spot minutes, in an attempt to not run key players into the ground.

Eventually, the rotation should be as follows . . .

Starters: Aldridge, Gay, DeRozan, White, with the final spot any of Cunningham, Bertans, Forbes.

2nd unit: Gasol, Belinelli, Mills, with whichever 2 aren't the final starter. Walker can still get spot minutes, mainly at Cunningham's expense, when they don't need him to defend a big wing.

Dex
10-23-2018, 06:16 PM
Aldridge needs to be the permanent starting C, with Gasol backing him up (sure, they'll be the odd matchup where they can play a few minutes together) and Poeltl out of the rotation until they can either find a trade for Gasol or move on in some capacity after the season.

It'll be easier to do when White and Walker return and boost the perimeter depth, but in the meantime, they can facilitate it by waiving Pondexter and utilizing their open 2-way spot on a young wing and PG. Let them soak up spot minutes, in an attempt to not run key players into the ground.

Eventually, the rotation should be as follows . . .

Starters: Aldridge, Gay, DeRozan, White, with the final spot any of Cunningham, Bertans, Forbes.

2nd unit: Gasol, Belinelli, Mills, with whichever 2 aren't the final starter. Walker can still get spot minutes, mainly at Cunningham's expense, when they don't need him to defend a big wing.

This team is already massively undersized and overmatched on the perimeter, and you want to get rid of one of our three rim protectors?

Also, you want to let our young, inexperienced 9th-picked big man just languish on the bench while we wait for someone to eat Pau's awful contract? I'm sure he is really going to learn the system and develop his skills that way.

MaNu4Tres
10-23-2018, 06:17 PM
Been saying this for the past 2 years. And I obviously agree.

JakeCuenca
10-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Its pretty obvious but pop is extremely stubborn.

They should go LMA-Gay-Bertans-Derozan-Mills/Forbes. They need to realize the current landscape has no room for a two big man lineup.

DAF86
10-23-2018, 06:24 PM
I would have agreed on the offseason, but right now, with the way the roster is constructed, I think the best way to go is staying with the two men lineups during the regular season. Because of the following reasons:

-It fits the roster talent. Aldridge, Gasol and Poeltl are among the 10 most talented players in the roster. In a team where talent is not very abundant, you have to find a way to play your best players.

-It helps the defense. In some matchups, specially against the very good teams, the two bigmen lineup can be a liability, but in the long run of the regular season, where we will play mostly mediocre teams, size helps defense. Since we really aren't contenders this year, I have no problem going with a strategy that helps us do as best as possible during the regular season.

The change I would make though is starting Gasol and have Poeltl come off the bench. It just makes more sense. Gasol can space the floor for LA and DeRozan, he also can play his high-lows with LA. While Poeltl can provide more defense to the Mills/Bellinelli lineup and on offense he would benefit from the constant moving and long range shooting of the second lineup. Also, Gasol is used to starting and Poeltl is used to come off the bench.

r0drig0lac
10-23-2018, 06:27 PM
I would go with Demar-Belli-Bertans / Cun-Gay-Aldridge

TD 21
10-23-2018, 06:32 PM
This team is already massively undersized and overmatched on the perimeter, and you want to get rid of one of our three rim protectors?

Also, you want to let our young, inexperienced 9th-picked big man just languish on the bench while we wait for someone to eat Pau's awful contract? I'm sure he is really going to learn the system and develop his skills that way.

Not really. What I'm saying is, instead of force feeding Poeltl spot minutes, his spot should go to Cunningham, except in matchups I alluded to, when it should go to Walker. Aldridge and Gasol are elite rim protectors and Bertans is solid too.

It's obviously not ideal, but again, it would be temporary. I've repeatedly brought up feasible Gasol trades (such as, eligible December 15th: him and Cunningham for Harkless, Leonard and a lottery protected 1st). If worse comes to worst, he can be released in the off season. They can not only save $9.2M on his partially guaranteed final season, but free up a rotation spot for Poeltl then.

I would have agreed on the offseason, but right now, with the way the roster is constructed, I think the best way to go is staying with the two men lineups during the regular season. Because of the following reasons:

-It fits the roster talent.
Aldridge, Gasol and Poeltl are among the 10 most talented players in the roster. In a team where talent is not very abundant, you have to find a way to play your best players.

-It helps the defense.
In some matchups, specially against the very good teams, the two bigmen lineup can be a liability, but in the long run of the regular season, where we will play mostly mediocre teams, size helps defense. Since we really aren't contenders this year, I have no problem going with a strategy that helps us do as best as possible during the regular season.

The change I would make though is starting Gasol and have Poeltl come off the bench. It just makes more sense. Gasol can space the floor for LA and DeRozan, he also can play his high-lows with LA. While Poeltl can provide more defense to the Mills/Bellinelli lineup and on offense he would benefit from the constant moving and long range shooting of the second lineup. Also, Gasol is usted to starting and Poeltl is used to come off the bench.

Good point, but the way Poeltl is being utilized, he's damn near useless anyway. I'm not down on him though.

Cunningham, White and Walker, will likely all be more useful on defense because Aldridge and Gasol will provide elite rim protection as is. It's on the perimeter where this team is lacking. Being able to break up the dreaded Mills/Forbes pairing is paramount, as is limiting the overall amount they and Belinelli play.

Russ
10-23-2018, 06:42 PM
Aldridge needs to be the permanent starting C, , , ,

Don't look now, but Aldridge is doing what he said he never would . . . he's the primary big on the floor (i.e., the center) . . .

Another impressive coup by Pop.

:flag:

But keep it quiet . . .

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2018, 07:23 PM
popabitch is an arrogant kent, he wants to prove the world his way is the correct way to win...

remember when he tried fkn small ball since 08 till the spurs got back in 12/13-13/14 and winning with it?

then now his going back to his twin tower bullshit to beat small ball...yeh g ood luck kent...

Seventyniner
10-23-2018, 08:10 PM
We will need a bigger sample to see how the new offense-all-the-time league goes, but it's hard to get away from pairing Pau and LMA when they're the two best defenders on the team.

4down
10-23-2018, 11:55 PM
Its pretty obvious but pop is extremely stubborn.

They should go LMA-Gay-Bertans-Derozan-Mills/Forbes. They need to realize the current landscape has no room for a two big man lineup.

I agree with this to an extent. Being able to run 2 bigs and have them in sync still seems like it will be needed a fair bit more come playoff time when rebounds and possessions go up in value. But this first week sure makes it look like the tide has changed.

venitian navigator
10-24-2018, 01:24 AM
actually, apart from DDR and LMA, no one of our players can and should be considered a lock for the starting five... That could be a good thing, 'cause gives to Pop the chance to change line ups depending on the opposing team strenghts and weaknesses. In the long run there will be times when also DDR and LMA, considering their age, will be given resting games. That's the point of having a long roster (that we surely had before all the injuries) and a committed team. Any of the 16 players (now 13 available, but soon, lets hope, 15 available) on roster can play a good amount of minutes without harming the team. The two bigs line up can work and work well but with so many teams predicted on small ball can be used only against big line ups or when ther's a clear advantage of skills. Time to time (coach) decisions...

Down Under
10-24-2018, 06:39 PM
Gasol is able to find Aldridge from above the 3 point line to him deep in the paint regularly & allows him to get a lot of easy points because of the positioning. It absolutely kills the team defensively, but allows us to score almost at will at the moment. Pop must be losing his shit.