PDA

View Full Version : Coach Pop will likely retire after 2018-19 season IMO

TDomination
10-26-2018, 04:25 PM
So Pops contract ends at the end of the 2018-19 season. He will be 71 at that point. If i'm not mistaken the oldest coach ever was Hubie Brown who stopped coaching at 71 years old. But don't quote me on that.

Anyways, it seems unlikely he will coach past that. He will have the USA Olympics in 2020 but he may want to spend the 2019-20 season preparing for team USA. Then let that be it for his basketball coaching career.

So with his tenure as Spurs coach coming to an end, who will be the Spurs next head coach? Who would you like for it be?

Ettore Messina? Ime Udoka? Becky Hammon? Monty Williams? Outside hire?

I liked Messinas rotations in game 4 of last years playoffs. But thats pretty much all I know about him as a coach lol.

I'm not sure how Ime is as a coach tbh. And same goes for Becky.

Monty has NBA coaching experience and has ties with the Spurs. Record wise he wasn't that spectacular but he could improve.

This team is in a huge transition phase after so much stability the last 2 decades. Will be interesting to see where the team goes from here.

SpurPadre
10-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Manu will be the next coach tbh.

SpursDynasty85
10-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Pop will not retire until around when LMA retires imo. He also is coaching team USA and just lost his wife. He has about 2 or 3 years I think. I believe Messina is being groomed as the immediate successor incase Pop does retire. Messina could probably coach right now but his accent is a bit thick. I"m sure he is working on his English as we speak. I'm sure they would love Manu to take over but that will probably take a few years too. He will likely enjoy retirement for 3-4 years before he does another full-time job like coaching. And when/if he does come on, it will start as an assistant.

SpurPadre
10-26-2018, 04:34 PM
Pop will not retire until around when LMA retires imo. He also is coaching team USA and just lost his wife. He has about 2 or 3 years I think. I believe Messina is being groomed as the immediate successor incase Pop does retire. Messina could probably coach right now but his accent is a bit thick. I"m sure he is working on his English as we speak. I'm sure they would love Manu to take over but that will probably take a few years too. He will likely enjoy retirement for 3-4 years before he does another full-time job like coaching. And when/if he does come on, it will start as an assistant.

Jason Kidd didn't start off as an assistant...and that's basically what Manu's been the last few years anyways.

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2018, 04:41 PM
Fuck the whole thing up and let the next poor bastard fix it. Are we sure Pop isn't a republican?

spurraider21
10-26-2018, 04:43 PM
i would love manu but iirc he said he doesnt want to coach

i think it will be becky tbh. she's been moving up the ranks and already had a HC interview for the bucks

baseline bum
10-26-2018, 04:45 PM
I hope it's Patty.

TDomination
10-26-2018, 04:47 PM
I hope it's Patty.

those who cant play, teach.

SpursDynasty85
10-26-2018, 04:48 PM
Jason Kidd didn't start off as an assistant...and that's basically what Manu's been the last few years anyways.

True. I'm sure he could maybe get a job right away but I'm hoping he will be groomed in the "Spurs" way.

Dverde
10-26-2018, 04:52 PM
Can we trade Pop for a draft pick. He deserves to have his last game in the playoffs.

sananspursfan21
10-26-2018, 05:02 PM
Manu will be the next coach tbh.

That would be so cool.....

I think

toniooooo
10-26-2018, 05:41 PM
I like Messina.He has done a good job with the CSKA Moscou or Italian selection. He has the capacity to become the new coach. I think Pop could not be replaced

Ice009
10-26-2018, 07:06 PM
I thought Monty Williams left? He's not with the Spurs anymore, is he?

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Can we trade Pop for a draft pick. He deserves to have his last game in the playoffs.
He deserves going out covered in his own shit.

Hoops Czar
10-26-2018, 07:19 PM
He may retire sooner rather than later from coaching but that won't stop him from ruining the team as a FO executive.

MaNu4Tres
10-26-2018, 07:23 PM
Frank Wright.

Joseph Kony
10-26-2018, 08:14 PM
David Blatt is out there still. I thought he was actually a decent coach but got overlooked because of LeBron not wanting to have an actual coach

LGBTQIAPK & G-D
10-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Fuck the whole thing up and let the next poor bastard fix it. Are we sure Pop isn't a republican?

:rollin

ThaBigFundamental21
10-26-2018, 08:38 PM
He deserves going out covered in his own shit.

Kori can't ban you soon enough...

BSfromTX
10-26-2018, 08:51 PM
It will be Becky. Should be many, but pop will leave with big political statement. Unnecessary drama

TheGreatYacht
10-26-2018, 09:32 PM
Kori can't ban you soon enough...
Kori is awesome. She was the one that unpinked me. Now cry about it faggot.

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Manu would be the best option for the future..not only for his intelligence, but he seems like a progressive, open-minded man that could help this franchise get out of the dark ages..

TMTTRIO
10-26-2018, 11:11 PM
No chance of Manu coaching. He said he's picking up tennis now. One thing for certain he would be pretty good at that knowing the swing he had on the bat.

JeffDuncan
10-27-2018, 12:54 AM
Sure, bring Manu back as the coach, so posters here can beat the crap out of him for his stupid roster moves, his horrible game time decisions, and his total incompetence. Sounds like fun.

JeffDuncan
10-27-2018, 01:01 AM
Can we trade Pop for a draft pick.

That would probably be easier than trading Mills or Gasol for one.

JeffDuncan
10-27-2018, 01:05 AM
For the next coach the Spurs need somebody from outside, who hasn't been influenced, or contaminated, by all the crap that's gone on with the team in recent times. New broom, sweep it clean.

venitian navigator
10-27-2018, 01:45 AM
the only reason for our success in 20 years has been the stability of the franchise and the system. Some people don't understand that in a small market like ours you can't be kidnapped by players otherwise you're gonna fall in brief time and be left by said players as soon as they can. Maybe the worst mistake made by Pop has been to publicly declare that he was gonna change the game in LMA's favor...we'll never know if Kiwi behavior would have been the same, but probably he felt publicly disrespected in the sense that he thought he gained the right to be the main player...that outcome was the first real "failure" of the system. The right thing was to change things internally without public declarations.

JeffDuncan
10-27-2018, 02:13 AM
the only reason for our success in 20 years has been the stability of the franchise and the system. ...

Ha. And ha.

The Spurs had two decades of success because they came up with 3 Hall of Fame players, all of them in unlikely ways.

Duncan was the main stability factor, not some alleged bullshit "system." The "system" bit is hype to give media dimwits something to babble about, to fill air time or column space. It lacks objective reality.

Players. Good ones win, bad ones lose. The Spurs had better learn to deal with that reality, pronto.

venitian navigator
10-27-2018, 02:30 AM
Ha. And ha.

The Spurs had two decades of success because they came up with 3 Hall of Fame players, all of them in unlikely ways.

Duncan was the main stability factor, not some alleged bullshit "system." The "system" bit is hype to give media dimwits something to babble about, to fill air time or column space. It lacks objective reality.

Players. Good ones win, bad ones lose. The Spurs had better learn to deal with that reality, pronto.

Its obviuos you need players...but a lot of teams with wonderful players have had none of our outcomes. I speack of 20 years with a record of 70 per cent...no way you do that just with one player (Tim has been the only superstar...David was already declining, and Manu and Tony have just been borderline all stars for less than these 20 years).
You can't underestimate the system...
that said, if players don't buy on that, a small market team like ours is lost. that is the point.

NickiRasgo
10-27-2018, 03:09 AM
Coach Bud. If he's available.

TDomination
10-27-2018, 07:30 AM
Coach Bud. If he's available.

Hes got a pretty good team in Milwaukee. Unless he completely screws it up, he won't be leaving. He would be a great hire though. I always liked coach bud.

lefty20
10-27-2018, 09:24 AM
It's more likely that Pop either dies or retires, mid-season, due to a heart attack induced by watching our historically bad defense.

cutewizard
10-27-2018, 09:51 AM
MANU SHALL BE COACH!

DONCIC IS THE NEW MANU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutewizard
10-27-2018, 09:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMfzXQkeAQU

sasaint
10-27-2018, 03:26 PM

Man, I hope you are wrong. That is about the gloomiest prediction I can imagine.

sasaint
10-27-2018, 03:29 PM
True. I'm sure he could maybe get a job right away but I'm hoping he will be groomed in the "Spurs" way.

Manu has been groomed in the Spurs wAy for over 15 years.

sasaint
10-27-2018, 03:30 PM
He may retire sooner rather than later from coaching but that won't stop him from ruining the team as a FO executive.

I do wonder about that.

Silver&Black Warrior
10-27-2018, 04:11 PM

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! YOU WENT IN BALLS DEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philthemage
10-27-2018, 04:27 PM
I could see Bonner becoming a coach. He's got that Steve Kerr personna to him.

DMC
10-27-2018, 04:28 PM
They will have to carry Pop away, O2 bottle and all. Popwin Lannister won't let go of the throne.

lefty20
10-27-2018, 05:08 PM
I could see Bonner becoming a coach. He's got that Steve Kerr personna to him.

ST would just love that, I'm sure.