PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Sugarman - doc review!

SpursforSix
10-28-2018, 08:47 PM
Finally got around to checking this out.

Very good.

8/10

Spurs Homer
10-28-2018, 10:46 PM
Finally got around to checking this out.

Very good.

8/10

Yes - saw it a few years back - I liked his music also.

Another great doc = Three Identical Strangers

FrostKing
10-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Actually watched this at my cousins in Wrocław off Netflix 6 years ago. Vaguely remember now but it was about Detroit rock scene. And he had hardcore supporters in South Africa? Why did his 2nd album/career flameout again?

SpursforSix
10-29-2018, 09:56 AM
Actually watched this at my cousins in Wrocław off Netflix 6 years ago. Vaguely remember now but it was about Detroit rock scene. And he had hardcore supporters in South Africa? Why did his 2nd album/career flameout again?

Yeah...it wasn't too much about the Detroit rock scene. And no real explanation as to why he didn't make it. His producers speculated that maybe the promotion side failed him. Also I think someone mentioned that his name (Rodriguez) might have made people think that it was Latino music.

Another alternative is that maybe his music wasn't as good as the documentary suggested it was. Although it sounded like something that would have been a hit back then. I guess.

I wish they would put more time in investigating where his money (from South Africa) went. It seemed like Avant (the Motown guy) probably took it. He got very defensive when the conversation turned that way.

Chucho
10-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Watched the Twisted Sister doc yesterday. Was actually really good. Pretty standard in format, but still a fun watch that was 99% pre- record deal, mainstream. Fun stuff.

SpursforSix
10-29-2018, 11:46 AM
Watched the Twisted Sister doc yesterday. Was actually really good. Pretty standard in format, but still a fun watch that was 99% pre- record deal, mainstream. Fun stuff.

hmmm...I wasn't aware of that one. Will probably check it out.

Spurs Homer
10-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Yeah...it wasn't too much about the Detroit rock scene. And no real explanation as to why he didn't make it. His producers speculated that maybe the promotion side failed him. Also I think someone mentioned that his name (Rodriguez) might have made people think that it was Latino music.

Another alternative is that maybe his music wasn't as good as the documentary suggested it was. Although it sounded like something that would have been a hit back then. I guess.

I wish they would put more time in investigating where his money (from South Africa) went. It seemed like Avant (the Motown guy) probably took it. He got very defensive when the conversation turned that way.

I think you missed a big piece of the picture...

He was HUGE in South Africa - I mean like a household name - they called him "their Dylan" or something to that effect (been a few years)

The So Africans described his music in reverential tones, they said you could not go to anyone's house, any party, any gathering without hearing his music - everyone had his album - they were astounded when they discovered that he wasn't even famous in America - they had assumed that he was just another American Dylan.

Add to that the legend that he had actually committed suicide on a stage at the top of his game and you can see how So Africans were stunned when they discovered he was still alive and then held a concert where every person in the arena was a vegetable, just weeping like babies...

I don't think any kind of Detroit rock scene had much to do with his story - his lyrics were actually more revelatory to people going through Apartheid at the time.

pgardn
10-29-2018, 08:26 PM

He was HUGE in South Africa - I mean like a household name - they called him "their Dylan" or something to that effect (been a few years)

The So Africans described his music in reverential tones, they said you could not go to anyone's house, any party, any gathering without hearing his music - everyone had his album - they were astounded when they discovered that he wasn't even famous in America - they had assumed that he was just another American Dylan.

Add to that the legend that he had actually committed suicide on a stage at the top of his game and you can see how So Africans were stunned when they discovered he was still alive and then held a concert where every person in the arena was a vegetable, just weeping like babies...

I don't think any kind of Detroit rock scene had much to do with his story - his lyrics were actually more revelatory to people going through Apartheid at the time.

Absolutely.
His lyrics were very interesting. He was also big in New Zealand and Australia.
Rodriquez was just born in the wrong country.

I thought I was very good even though I absolutely never heard of the guy. Not surprised, before my time when he got started. But my Dad knew nil about him as well. I gave it an 8.5 oot of 10 only due to the fact I wanted to know more about his family; wive(s)?

Basically wrote what you did without the detail

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172624&page=121

SpursforSix
10-29-2018, 09:43 PM

I don’t think you read my post which was a response.

Of course I got that he was huge in SA. I don’t see how anyone would miss that.
I ended up Googling after I watched it and it turns out he was big in Australia even prior to SA.
Also interesting that he’s now making big money (millions) but he gives most of it away and still lives in the same place. I think.

Spurs Homer
11-10-2018, 07:02 PM
Listen to this song which is at the 15:35 time mark.

Dead Men Don't Tour - Rodriguez in South Africa 1998 (TV Documentary)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in--_OWfTd4

Check out the lyrics.
https://www.google.es/search?q=sugarman+lyrics&rlz=1C1AOHY_esES720ES730&oq=sugarman+lyrics&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3668j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

At the 24:41 time mark of this video...

Searching for Sugar Man
http://watchdocumentaries.com/searching-for-sugar-man/

...it shows how that particular song was censored in South Africa. That song glorified coccain and marijuana. I'd bet he got squelched in the US because there would have been a lot of angry parents calling for the boycott of products advertised on radio stations that played that song. I know there were a lot of other songs that glorify drugs at that time but that song might have become a hit.

Does everyone remember the threats to boycott theaters that showed this movie?
https://www.google.es/search?q=the+last+temptation+of+christ&rlz=1C1AOHY_esES720ES730&oq=the+last+temptation+of+christ&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6561j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Temptation_of_Christ_(film)#General_contr oversy

The song "Sugarman" might have generated a similar situation.

Listen to the part of the song at the 36:06 time mark of the first video. That song might have been considered a little too subversive so they just didn't want people to know about this guy. If one or two of his songs became hits, people would have bought the album and heard the anti-establishment songs too.

I'll bet didn't become famous in the US because he was squelched by the establishment. It's just my theory.

I gotta disagree on your premise - because there were TONS of protest songs in that era.
Many bands became famous because of their protest war songs in the 60's/70's.

SpursforSix
11-11-2018, 12:19 AM
I gotta disagree on your premise - because there were TONS of protest songs in that era.
Many bands became famous because of their protest war songs in the 60's/70's.

But they weren’t half Black and half Indian

Chucho
11-12-2018, 12:17 PM
I was watching a list of "Docs that lied" vid on Youtube and this one was said to be missing LOADS of info that overstate how "unsuccessful" the unsuccessful part of Sixto's life was. Apparently they made his rags to riches story seem even more "rags" than it really was.

RGMCSE
11-12-2018, 02:39 PM
I love documentaries so I appreciate OP starting these threads. This is/was one of my favorites of recent memory and if I can add one thing that was fascinating about this Documentary is that the director/ creator of this film downloaded a film app on his iphone and recorded the entire film on like an Iphone 4/5 I think. Which at the time I had never heard of even being a possibility. I know that's more common these days though.

I think this has been recommended here at times and I think I might've even seen the recommendation on one of these threads before. But If you like Documentaries and in particular docs about music, then you will love Muscle Shoals! The story about Fame record studios and its discography is amazing. The story and background of Rick Hall and the Fame studios band the swampers is absolutely unreal. I cant recommend it enough!

auGUm2r0cLs

RGMCSE
11-12-2018, 03:18 PM
I was watching a list of "Docs that lied" vid on Youtube and this one was said to be missing LOADS of info that overstate how "unsuccessful" the unsuccessful part of Sixto's life was. Apparently they made his rags to riches story seem even more "rags" than it really was.

Can you link the vid? Id like to see what they said. Sixto was a day laborer and musician by night. He looked like he lived in very humble setting.

Chucho
11-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Can you link the vid? Id like to see what they said. Sixto was a day laborer and musician by night. He looked like he lived in very humble setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6fPEOzR1UM

Spurs Homer
11-12-2018, 07:46 PM

Actually, that utube confirmed that he was pretty unknown. All they said was that he toured Australia. Many, many obscure bands tour a foreign country and most say it is no "stardom" at all but just hard work and low pay.

He never achieved any success here and his albums disappeared immediately. Only in So Africa was it different and he never knew - until decades later.