PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated on SA being the perfect team

Jimcs50
10-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Just got my new edition of SI and there is a great article in there on trying to take players from any team in the NBA and making up a team that can beat the Spurs

Basically they said that SA was the perfect team. They said they had the perfect mixture of selfless stars, steady role players, youthful exuberance, veteran savvy, and a wisely managed payroll.

They could choose players from any team, but had to stay within the luxury tax threshold 61.7 million. They also wanted to choose players that would fit in with each other and play roles.

Here is their team they put together:

Starters:

Steve Nash 9.6 million
Dwayne Wade 3 million
Yao Ming 5.6 million
Lebron James 4.6 million
Rasheed Wallace 10.3 million

Bench

Nenad Krstic 1 million
Antonio McDyess 5.5
Dwight Howard Howard 4.5
Ron Artest 6.5
Eric Piatkowski 3
Chauncy Billups 5.9
Luke Ridenour 1.6

Coach- Pat Riley.

Yeah, I think they can beat SA in 7 games.

:lol

easjer
10-25-2005, 08:46 AM
I didn't realize that Sheed made more money than Stevie Nash. That's effed up, right there.

Phenomanul
10-25-2005, 08:54 AM
I didn't realize that Sheed made more money than Stevie Nash. That's effed up, right there.

He's on the back end of his contract whereas Nash just started his...

BigVee
10-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Hell of a team, however in 3 years their payroll will be $100MM while the Spurs will still be at the tax threshold.

SWC Bonfire
10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Yeah, that's one thing I noticed... their team won't be able to resign anyone at a higher level, so it's pretty much a one-time deal once contracts start expiring.

Nice try, though.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Interesting that three Pistons are on there.

sa_butta
10-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Hell of a team, however in 3 years their payroll will be $100MM while the Spurs will still be at the tax threshold.The point is they would be able to knock off the Spurs even if for only 1-2 seasons.

SWC Bonfire
10-25-2005, 09:13 AM
The point is they would be able to knock off the Spurs even if for only 1-2 seasons.

So could a team of space robots. It doesn't mean it's going to happen. :lol

Jimcs50
10-25-2005, 09:16 AM
The point is they would be able to knock off the Spurs even if for only 1-2 seasons.

I think the point is, is that SA has done such a great job putting together a championship team while staying under the luxury cap, that it takes some great imagination and the rest of the league's players to draw from, to beat the Spurs in the playoffs.

batman2883
10-25-2005, 09:18 AM
spurs would take them in 6

BigVee
10-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Yep, and even with that, the "all star" team would have to have a lot of practice, otherwise they would wind up like our Olympic team. Nash, Wade, LeBron....all need the ball.

Supergirl
10-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Interesting that three Pistons are on there.

And that none of them are Ben Wallace, who was more effective against the Spurs than anyone else.

I think I'd take either Shaq or Big Ben over Yao, at this point.

A starting lineup of Shaq, Wade, Lebron, Rasheed, and Nash with McDyess, Billups, Artest coming off the bench...That would be tough for the Spurs. They'd have to be coached by Larry Brown, though, in order for it to all work.

cheguevara
10-25-2005, 09:30 AM
I'll take the Spurs over that team.

caŽlo
10-25-2005, 09:39 AM
putting them together is one thing.

getting them to play AS A TEAM is another story.

DesiSpur_21
10-25-2005, 10:00 AM
I think Spurs still win the series.

They could have done a lot better than throwing Sheed+McDyess 15+ Mil. You could find a better combo.

Spurminator
10-25-2005, 10:08 AM
They didn't pick a single Spur for that team. No respect!

Solid D
10-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Did Eric Piatkowski's dad Walt vote on the role players?

kskonn
10-25-2005, 10:34 AM
And that none of them are Ben Wallace, who was more effective against the Spurs than anyone else.

I think I'd take either Shaq or Big Ben over Yao, at this point.

A starting lineup of Shaq, Wade, Lebron, Rasheed, and Nash with McDyess, Billups, Artest coming off the bench...That would be tough for the Spurs. They'd have to be coached by Larry Brown, though, in order for it to all work.

I bet they would to, however I think putting either of those guys in would throw them over the cap. Both those guys are at the end of lucrative contracts where as Yao is at the end of his rookie contract.

ro_50
10-25-2005, 10:35 AM
What a brilliant idea for an article? That is pratically an all-star team. Spurs could win a series (but I think that team would win in 6 the one SI picked), but instead of putting all-star caliber players on the bench, they should have been more conventional and put together a team w/ more thinking.

spur219
10-25-2005, 10:45 AM
They got players that are still in their rookie contracts. So that team will fall apart in a year or 2.

Solid D
10-25-2005, 10:50 AM
It will be good to read the article. It sounds very complimentary and not something you see every year in any sport regarding the perceived top team.

It's good to see Jim posting "real" things and not bogus entries without links. :smokin (from the closet of old bones)

picnroll
10-25-2005, 10:58 AM
What's pretty amazing is that if you want to create a team to compete with the Spurs which has the same total salary, and with no impact players (first eight off the bench) on rookie contracts the same as the Spurs, you have to pick and choose some of the best salary to production players in the league.

Jimcs50
10-25-2005, 11:05 AM
It will be good to read the article. It sounds very complimentary and not something you see every year in any sport regarding the perceived top team.

It's good to see Jim posting "real" things and not bogus entries without links. :smokin (from the closet of old bones)

It is on sale on news stands near you, you cheap bastard.

:)

Jimcs50
10-25-2005, 11:08 AM
They also rate teams in each conference from top to bottom.

Guess who is number 1 in west?

:)

And as I have said since this Summer, they have Indy number 1 in East over Miami.

Spurminator
10-25-2005, 11:11 AM
They ranked Minnesota 11th, which was surprising to me. And it doesn't look like they've jumped on the Warriors bandwagon either.

1. Spurs
2. Nuggets
3. Suns
4. Rockets
5. Mavs
6. Kings
7. Sonics
8. Grizzlies
9. Jazz
10. Lakers
11. Wolves
12. Warriors
13. Clippers
14. Blazers
15. Hornets

Notorious H.O.P.
10-25-2005, 11:12 AM
They didn't pick a single Spur for that team. No respect!

Actually the writer respects the Spurs so much that he excluded all Spurs players for the purposes of the exercise. He said the Spurs were as close to a perfect team as their is so he didn't want to use any Spurs for this article.

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2005, 11:23 AM
http://anotherraskijoint.com/droc/spurs.jpg

It's the perfect team
Like the perfect storm
So get to runnin'
'Cause you been forewarned.

Spurminator
10-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Actually the writer respects the Spurs so much that he excluded all Spurs players for the purposes of the exercise. He said the Spurs were as close to a perfect team as their is so he didn't want to use any Spurs for this article.

I know, I was kidding. ;)

(Actually when I first opened to the article all I saw was "A Perfect Team" and pictures of a bunch of non-Spurs, so my initial reaction was exactly that, but once I read a little further I understood the premise.)

T Park
10-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Don't they know better??

They cant be the perfect team.

Ownership is too cheap to put out a "perfect" team.

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Yeah T Park. Those Spurs won't play for what you pay your illegals, so ownership must not be cheap.

waly.mg
10-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Starters:

Steve Nash 9.6 million
Dwayne Wade 3 million
Yao Ming 5.6 million
Lebron James 4.6 million
Rasheed Wallace 10.3 million

Bench

Nenad Krstic 1 million
Antonio McDyess 5.5
Dwight Howard Howard 4.5
Ron Artest 6.5
Eric Piatkowski 3
Chauncy Billups 5.9
Luke Ridenour 1.6

Coach- Pat Riley.

Yeah, I think they can beat SA in 7 games.

That team is wrong, because it´s impossible to have Yao, Wade and Lebron in the same team, because they have Rookie Scale salaries

Next Year Yao have the max just signed, and Wade and Lebron too in the next years, there are 3 players who are going to sign for the max, so you need 100 millions for to have taht team, not 61,7

T Park
10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
you pay your illegals,

I have illegals??

When did this happen?

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2005, 12:07 PM
When you said it did. Then again, you said you weren't a Spurs fan when times got a little tough.

T Park
10-25-2005, 02:54 PM
When you said it did.

Interesting. I never said I have illegals working for me.

But of course, you have always loved to be a dick and read into things that you want.

Then again, you said you weren't a Spurs fan when times got a little tough.

Hmmm, and you rip Ghost for beating a dead horse??

Hypocrisy perhaps??? nahhhh.

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2005, 04:30 PM
You certainly claimed that you hired illegals a few months back. I guess they're just undocumented...

Hey, I'm not the one supporting a team that I gave up on in a championship round a couple months back.

Get off the wagon.

SpursWoman
10-25-2005, 04:56 PM
So could a team of space robots. It doesn't mean it's going to happen. :lol

http://members.aol.com/Spacer1701/spacejam.gif