PDA

View Full Version : DDR relishes being a closer per ESPN

Rummpd
10-30-2018, 06:17 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25123586/demar-derozan-relishing-closer-role-san-antonio-spurs-another-clutch-effort

SAN ANTONIO -- San Antonio Spurs guard DeMar DeRozan popped up from the floor in front of the Dallas Mavericks bench determined that he wouldn't blow another opportunity after misfiring on what could have been the winner at the end of regulation.

"I got a great look," DeRozan said. "I was mad at myself that I missed. But I told myself, if I got that opportunity again, I wasn't going to miss a big shot later in the game. I didn't."

DeRozan connected on 3-of-3 in overtime on Monday, hitting San Antonio's last three field goals and snagging three rebounds to punctuate a 34-point performance in leading the Spurs past the Mavericks 113-108. The night marked DeRozan's third outing this season in which he scored 30 points or more, and it further solidified him as the closer the club lacked last season, with former Spur Kawhi Leonard sidelined all but nine games due to a quadriceps injury.

It's a role DeRozan relishes.

"I just come in and do my job," he said. "My job has always been the closer."

Rudy Gay, LaMarcus Aldridge and recently retired Manu Ginobili alternated last season in that role, but the addition of DeRozan provides San Antonio a lethal lead option for closing out contests while providing Spurs coach Gregg Popovich more options down the stretch.

"He's a really good player, and he loves those moments," Popovich said of DeRozan. "He's not afraid of failure. You know, Michael [Jordan] didn't make every shot at the end of a game, but there are very few people who want to be in that position all the time, and he's one of those people that loves it. Rudy was really that guy for us last year. He and L.A. [Aldridge]. But now we can choose between a few guys. We haven't had that."

DeRozan ranks second in the NBA in scoring in clutch time (21 points), hitting 8-of-18 from the floor in five games, with five assists, six rebounds and no turnovers.

After lying on his back with an arm covering his face in disappointment after missing an 11-foot fadeaway from the corner to end regulation, DeRozan eventually rose back to his feet with the help of Gay. Seconds earlier, Patty Mills had told DeRozan to go out and win the game, "and I missed the shot," he said. "I told him that I wasn't going to miss the next one."

Or the next two, for that matter. DeRozan pulled down three rebounds to start his overtime tear, then hit from 19 feet out to put the Spurs ahead 107-102. His next two buckets came on a driving layup and a 20-foot step-back jumper.

DeRozan said that when he played in Toronto, former Raptors coach Dwane Casey "used to give me a cue card before every season, and it had 'closer' on it."

DeRozan lived up to that against the Mavericks.

"He really steps it up in the fourth," Spurs point guard Bryn Forbes said. "That's something I've noticed so far. So defenses have to change the way they're guarding so other guys can get wide-open shots." .......

John B
10-30-2018, 06:42 AM
That’s what we needed last year. Unfortunately as good LMA was last year, he couldn’t seem to close and relinquished the lead. Spurs still very much need to stop, but now they have someone who can close. And with close games so far, should just help prepare them to squeeze in wins. GSG

skin27
10-30-2018, 06:44 AM
I hope derozan can maintain it thoroughout the season

Blackhaus
10-30-2018, 07:27 AM
Yeah he’s been a pleasant surprise all around.

JeffDuncan
10-30-2018, 08:16 AM
Good publicity! Yay!

DDR is looking more and more like the best the Spurs could have done to emerge from the debacle.

DJR210
10-30-2018, 08:18 AM
Yeah he’s been a pleasant surprise all around.

Good publicity! Yay!

DDR is looking more and more like the best the Spurs could have done to emerge from the debacle.

The knock on Demar has never been that he couldn't score in the regular season..

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 08:25 AM
The knock on Demar has never been that he couldn't score in the regular season..

The entire Raptors team pooped the bed against LeBron in the playoffs. Didn't help by having an idiot coach who overplayed the bench in the playoffs. Imagine you're the star player on the team sitting on the bench watching your bench players play against the starters. Idiot Dwane Casey

JeffDuncan
10-30-2018, 08:38 AM

What you mean is that you will criticize DDR but you will not praise him. That is brain-dead stupid. You are not telling us about DDR, you are telling us about yourself.

DJR210
10-30-2018, 08:41 AM
What you mean is that you will criticize DDR but you will not praise him. That is brain-dead stupid. You are not telling us about DDR, you are telling us about yourself.

:lol dramatic reply

Couldn't be more wrong. Been saying DeMar is a beast all season.. He's embraced his role and doing everything asked of him, even defense has been a little better.. However I'm not gonna get the anointing oil until the season plays out..

The Closer
10-30-2018, 09:45 AM
We got 2 The Closers now. :hat

spursparker9
10-30-2018, 10:05 AM
Seems like DDR is replacing Nephew's role and LMA is regressing due to fact that he is not the main guy anymore.

Repeat of 2016-2017?

szkorhetz
10-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Seems like DDR is replacing Nephew's role and LMA is regressing due to fact that he is not the main guy anymore.

Repeat of 2016-2017?
I actually don't think so. DDR is so much more of a playmaker, he will easily be able to set up LMA to easy buckets once defenses will focus more on locking him down and then LMA will take over.

Dre_7
10-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Repeat of 2016-2017?

LMA isn't regressing. His outside shot just isn't falling right now

skin27
10-30-2018, 10:12 AM

it will be great if LMA midrange starts falling..

Dre_7
10-30-2018, 10:14 AM

And he has been able to score just fine in the playoffs when he wasn't playing the Cavs. People act like he was trash in every playoff series just because he struggled against LeBron.

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 10:40 AM
And he has been able to score just fine in the playoffs when he wasn't playing the Cavs. People act like he was trash in every playoff series just because he struggled against LeBron.

You got it. Go back to 2016-2017. He completely destroyed the Bucks in that series and hit clutch shots and an exclamation dunk to put beat them in game 6 in Milwaukee. Unfortunately the entire raptors team fell apart against Cleveland. DeRozan is to blame as well, but the coach was absolutely brutal. He had an obsession with playing the entire bench against the starters. Most overrated coach in Toronto history.

Gunz
10-30-2018, 11:30 AM
defenses right now are focussing more on LA than DeRozan. That will change as the season goes and scouting reports change.

Blackhaus
10-30-2018, 11:30 AM
LA’s stroke will return, he just didn’t all of a sudden forget how to shoot. He needs to play a little more inside and tougher but he’ll come around. They are still trying to figure each other out and it doesn’t help that they have no healthy PG on the roster.

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 11:34 AM
defenses right now are focussing more on LA than DeRozan. That will change as the season goes and scouting reports change.

They're both attracting a lot of attention. DeRozan was known to be triple teamed back in Toronto, especially when he was going off on teams. Also would help if LMA can get his shot back. I'm assuming he will eventually get it back.

John B
10-30-2018, 11:55 AM
They compliment each other’s game so I expect their games getting even better, likewise Forbe’s. We actually need a Dedmon type (athletic big) in case we go big. Pau is a few steps behind. Poeltl needs to get better

Dverde
10-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Lone Star Demar!

SpursDynasty85
10-30-2018, 12:17 PM

I believe he can. It's whether or not we can beat the best teams and put the right pieces around him. Currently our pieces around him are iffy but capable (LMA, Gay, Forbes). Need White to step in and make a good contribution.

Anyway, the point I am making is that he genuinely seems like a solid professional who works on his body, game, diet throughout the year and he is entering his prime. Seems to be the best Derozan we have seen and he is not satisfied yet.

Kool Bob Love
10-30-2018, 01:06 PM
Kawhi is a loser, DeMar is a winner.

hater
10-30-2018, 01:16 PM

This

He is definit getting muh touches :cry

bigdickboys
10-30-2018, 03:34 PM
That’s what we needed last year. Unfortunately as good LMA was last year, he couldn’t seem to close and relinquished the lead. Spurs still very much need to stop, but now they have someone who can close. And with close games so far, should just help prepare them to squeeze in wins. GSG

It's hard to close when you've been the only person playing all game.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-30-2018, 04:13 PM
bigdickboys?

Dex
10-30-2018, 04:25 PM

DeMar could challenge for MVP (which he as actually on the start to doing), and people will spend the whole season saying, "Well, we'll see what happens when the playoffs roll around..."

Then if the Spurs make the playoffs and go out against someone like Golden State, haters will still say, "I told you so".

Just enjoy the ride people. This isn't 2014 anymore.

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 04:33 PM
DeMar could challenge for MVP (which he as actually on the start to doing), and people will spend the whole season saying, "Well, we'll see what happens when the playoffs roll around..."

Then if the Spurs make the playoffs and go out against someone like Golden State, haters will still say, "I told you so".

Just enjoy the ride people. This isn't 2014 anymore.

Yeah low expectation is key to a happy year. Can't expect this team to go far in the playoffs. Also every single game in the regular season will count.

phxspurfan
10-30-2018, 04:50 PM
"I make love to pressure." -DeMar

tonight...you
10-30-2018, 04:59 PM
Yeah low expectation is key to a happy year. Can't expect this team to go far in the playoffs. Also every single game in the regular season will count.
For me- it's not low expectations, it's learning to simply enjoy the Ride instead of scowling until final results are revealed. There's only one winner at the End.
Maybe it's the Zen...

phxspurfan
10-30-2018, 05:00 PM
"He really steps it up in the fourth," Spurs point guard Bryn Forbes said. "That's something I've noticed so far. So defenses have to change the way they're guarding so other guys can get wide-open shots." .......

What a moronic quote from Forbes. Thanks for scouting us for the other teams dude.

SpurPadre
10-30-2018, 05:01 PM
What a moronic quote from Forbes. Thanks for scouting us for the other teams dude.

It's not as bad as TP's dumb ass comments about LDN in the '13 Finals, tbh.

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 05:30 PM
For me- it's not low expectations, it's learning to simply enjoy the Ride instead of scowling until final results are revealed. There's only one winner at the End.
Maybe it's the Zen...

Which is basically the same thing as low expectations.

High expectations = expecting ECF appearance or finals
Low expectations = make the playoffs

My expectations = DD MVP :)

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 05:32 PM

what did he say?

Seventyniner
10-30-2018, 05:36 PM

It's exactly as bad because neither are bad at all. If the Heat didn't care about leaving Danny open and it took Parker's comment to change their minds, that says a lot about their coaching staff. Spo and co. weren't nearly that dumb.

tonight...you
10-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Which is basically the same thing as low expectations.

High expectations = expecting ECF appearance or finals
Low expectations = make the playoffs

My expectations = DD MVP :)
No... it's really not. It's not about expectations. It's about the journey and just enjoying it, because being miserable about it does nothing for anybody, but yourself and how is that helping you live a happy life?
It's cool... I don't expect many to get it anymore.

People don't get a lot of things anymore...

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 05:59 PM
No... it's really not. It's not about expectations. It's about the journey and just enjoying it, because being miserable about it does nothing for anybody, but yourself and how is that helping you live a happy life?
It's cool... I don't expect many to get it anymore.

People don't get a lot of things anymore...

I am personally enjoying every game the Spurs are playing because my favorite player is on that team (DD)
Nothing will make me mad or unhappy. Although I would be lying that I wouldn't be upset if DD got hurt or something of that nature.

tonight...you
10-30-2018, 06:05 PM
I am personally enjoying every game the Spurs are playing because my favorite player is on that team (DD)
Nothing will make me mad or unhappy. Although I would be lying that I wouldn't be upset if DD got hurt or something of that nature.
Right on. I'm with you there: I don't look forward to injuries, but what happens happens.

SpurPadre
10-30-2018, 06:36 PM
It's exactly as bad because neither are bad at all. If the Heat didn't care about leaving Danny open and it took Parker's comment to change their minds, that says a lot about their coaching staff. Spo and co. weren't nearly that dumb.

It was still a stupid comment to make. There was literally nothing to have been gained by openly questioning on national TV why your own teammate was hitting threes that are helping you potentially get a ring.

SpurPadre
10-30-2018, 06:40 PM
what did he say?

He openly questioned with a hint of annoyance that Danny Green was hitting 3's in the Finals and that the Heat were leaving him open.

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 06:50 PM
He openly questioned with a hint of annoyance that Danny Green was hitting 3's in the Finals and that the Heat were leaving him open.

Yeah does sound like a strange thing to say. But it's Tony Parker, he does weird things sometimes. He cannot be trusted unless he holds a basketball.