PDA

View Full Version : Demar is the fastest to ever grasp or thrive off The System

SpurPadre
10-30-2018, 02:24 PM
Through their first 6 games as a Spur under Pop, no one has had as much success as DD and it's not even close. Not even TD produced as highly in his first 6 games under Pop. To me, that just speaks highly of his BBIQ that he's been able to produce like this in such a short amount of time under the most lauded and complicated system in the league (Dubs' system is little more than buy superstars tbh). Sure, he still has room to learn more from The System and get more comfortable from it but he seems quite comfortable already. And then you have other difficult factors to consider like playing with no real PG after playing with an All-Star PG for several seasons. It's impressive no matter how you look at it, tbh.

Seventyniner
10-30-2018, 02:26 PM
"The system" doesn't really exist anymore, at least on offense. Pop has said that he didn't try to change anything in DeMar's game like he tried to do with LMA.

DeMar is "grasping the system" so quickly because Pop molded it around him, not the other way around.

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 02:30 PM
DeRozan is DeSystem :P

RC_Drunkford
10-30-2018, 02:41 PM
the system = give DeMar the ball and let him do what he does

cool cat
10-30-2018, 02:43 PM
It is the same system just DeRozan running it instead of Manu and TP.

JPB
10-30-2018, 02:53 PM
You don't build a system out of Apocalypse, Fatty, Berta, Gasdone, Cuni and Rocky X... You do what ou can, which presently consists in gving the ball to your star to make play and ask the scrubs to feed off of him.

K...
10-30-2018, 02:53 PM
The system was Parker and Duncan. You had to fit around them because pop, wouldn't budge on them (for good reason, they're hof)

Now that there gone, the system is open to be created. Pretty exciting to imagine what pop will create by the end of the season

JeffDuncan
10-30-2018, 03:02 PM
Through their first 6 games as a Spur under Pop, no one has had as much success as DD and it's not even close. Not even TD produced as highly in his first 6 games under Pop. To me, that just speaks highly of his BBIQ that he's been able to produce like this in such a short amount of time under the most lauded and complicated system in the league. ...

DDR is doing great because he's a marvelous bball player and he's got the freedom to show it. We're not seeing the Spurs trying to do the stuff they did, for example, in the 2014 championship season. They can't, for the reasons we all know.

Just btw, anybody seen the Bucks this year? Coach Bud is doing nice things with that team. It's rough and uneven, as you'd expect at this point, but that offense has hints of "beautiful" in it. Coach Bud was an assistant here during the glory years, of course. The Celtics might find themselves with a problem in the East this year. And so might the Raptors.....

james evans
10-30-2018, 03:10 PM
the system = give DeMar the ball and let him do what he does
Exactly. There isn’t a “system”. In a system you can plug in damn near anyone and the team would not miss a beat. Like when Curry missed a whoke first round of the playoffs and the Warriors still won with ease. THATS A SYSTEM!!!

SpurPadre
10-30-2018, 03:24 PM
DDR is doing great because he's a marvelous bball player and he's got the freedom to show it. We're not seeing the Spurs trying to do the stuff they did, for example, in the 2014 championship season. They can't, for the reasons we all know.

Just btw, anybody seen the Bucks this year? Coach Bud is doing nice things with that team. It's rough and uneven, as you'd expect at this point, but that offense has hints of "beautiful" in it. Coach Bud was an assistant here during the glory years, of course. The Celtics might find themselves with a problem in the East this year. And so might the Raptors.....

I was really hoping Bud would be Pop's heir apparent but it is not to be.

sananspursfan21
10-30-2018, 03:51 PM
DeMar DeZystem

hater
10-30-2018, 04:39 PM
DeRozan is DeSystem :P

:wow

:tu

r0drig0lac
10-30-2018, 04:59 PM
Exactly. There isn’t a “system”. In a system you can plug in damn near anyone and the team would not miss a beat. Like when Curry missed a whoke first round of the playoffs and the Warriors still won with ease. THATS A SYSTEM!!!

lol no way, this is just having a lot more talent than the other teams, and illegal screens full time (system was what SA had in 2012-2014)

paperboy77
10-30-2018, 05:02 PM
From the interviews I’ve seen w/DD, I don’t think Pop coulda imposed on him. Has an ‘Dont give a F whose been here before me’ attitude which is great. Like someone said previously Pop has revised the system around DD. Hopefully the team continues to gel and improve.

hater
10-30-2018, 05:12 PM

And what if Durant and Eliancito are out Einstein?

The system the worriers are left with is shit :lol

james evans
10-30-2018, 06:43 PM
And what if Durant and Eliancito are out Einstein?

The system the worriers are left with is shit :lol
I mean the Durant that they won a title and 73 games without? The same Durant that missed over a month with a knee sprain last season? That Durant or is it another one?

rogcl1
10-30-2018, 07:09 PM
You need good players for any system to work.Pop has always put his players in position to play to their strengths. Back to the old ,slow, boring 4 down postup game to the penetrating drives of Parker and Manu up to incorporating the iso game of Kawhi. And mixed in there was the "beautiful game" of 2014. Many more examples. DD is a very good and versatile basketball player and Pop will put him in position to succeed and give him a free hand to do so. There is no one Spurs system. Its called basketball.

Dex
10-30-2018, 07:12 PM
I mean the Durant that they won a title and 73 games without? The same Durant that missed over a month with a knee sprain last season? That Durant or is it another one?

Curry and Durant are the system.

Before that, Curry and Thompson were the system.

You think the '17 Warriors were going to do shit if Green and Barnes were leading the way?

Racspur1
10-30-2018, 08:47 PM
The system was Parker and Duncan. You had to fit around them because pop, wouldn't budge on them (for good reason, they're hof)

Now that there gone, the system is open to be created. Pretty exciting to imagine what pop will create by the end of the season

My thoughts EXACTLY !!!:smokin

TheGreatYacht
10-30-2018, 08:51 PM
There is no system. DeRozan and Gay are still ISO'ing, LA is still fading away, Mills still blows...

If anything our offense is thriving because Pop is staying away with his sets that take forever to manifest on top of the key.

I find it absolutely laughable when I ready on social media how Pop has unlocked a DeRozan we've never seen before :lol he's always been a great regular season player. Just 2 seasons ago he averaged 27/5/4 on 46FG%. He's always been able to playmake for others and here the only difference is there's no Lowry to dribble the shot clock down.

Ice009
10-30-2018, 09:13 PM
I was really hoping Bud would be Pop's heir apparent but it is not to be.

Yep, I think he's got himself a great job. There is no way that he's leaving Giannis. Unless Giannis himself leaves, I don't think there is any way that Bud would leave that job.

Kawhitstorm
10-30-2018, 09:25 PM
Through their first 6 games as a Spur under Pop, no one has had as much success as DD and it's not even close. Not even TD produced as highly in his first 6 games under Pop. To me, that just speaks highly of his BBIQ that he's been able to produce like this in such a short amount of time under the most lauded and complicated system in the league (Dubs' system is little more than buy superstars tbh). Sure, he still has room to learn more from The System and get more comfortable from it but he seems quite comfortable already. And then you have other difficult factors to consider like playing with no real PG after playing with an All-Star PG for several seasons. It's impressive no matter how you look at it, tbh.

What system are you talking about? The one that has them bottoms in 3 point attempt, defensive rebounding, defense, shot attempts at the rim?:fishing

Kawhitstorm
10-30-2018, 09:26 PM
There is no system. DeRozan and Gay are still ISO'ing, LA is still fading away, Mills still blows...

If anything our offense is thriving because Pop is staying away with his sets that take forever to manifest on top of the key.

I find it absolutely laughable when I ready on social media how Pop has unlocked a DeRozan we've never seen before :lol he's always been a great regular season player. Just 2 seasons ago he averaged 27/5/4 on 46FG%. He's always been able to playmake for others and here the only difference is there's no Lowry to dribble the shot clock down.

:pop:: All credit goes to me, I'm the DECIDER!!

KimmyGib
10-30-2018, 09:28 PM
Glad to see there are still fans who believe in the renowned "Spurs System" at this point in time. Personally I think it died with the Big 3 era.

skin27
10-30-2018, 10:19 PM
“Derozan and aldridge midrange chuck system” is what we have right now.

Mirrornick
10-30-2018, 10:37 PM
“Derozan and aldridge midrange chuck system” is what we have right now.

At least it's not a 3pt chuck contest.

SpurPadre
10-30-2018, 10:41 PM
At least it's not a 3pt chuck contest.

That's working for the Dubs tbh.

skin27
10-30-2018, 10:49 PM

i hope our midrange chucking system can beat dubs’s 3pt chucking system..

SpurPadre
10-30-2018, 10:53 PM
i hope our midrange chucking system can beat dubs’s 3pt chucking system..

Not a chance, tbh.

rogcl1
10-30-2018, 11:13 PM

Because of the players they have.

rogcl1
10-30-2018, 11:19 PM
Glad to see there are still fans who believe in the renowned "Spurs System" at this point in time. Personally I think it died with the Big 3 era.
Go back as far as you want. Pop has always adjusted to the players he has at the time. Sure it is not always a perfect fit. He has and will put his players in position to utilize their talents. How many years does it take for some of you to see that.

John B
10-30-2018, 11:42 PM
Agreed. Systems are plays to create open shots. And even harder when you’re the one facilitating. Not only is he scoring but also distributing career high assists. And neither is he pushing it. His individual defense is getting better, as well as total team defense. Yes he’s eclipsed my expectations. And his tenacity and hard work should be contagious. I feel he’s not satisfied with just getting good. This guy’s on a mission and would love everyone in the team to be on the same page. I think he is a great replacement, if anyone can replace the big three as far as leadership is concern. As great a technical player Kawhitter was, I don’t think he could rally the team behind him. I feel Demar could and he set by example.

KimmyGib
10-30-2018, 11:47 PM
Go back as far as you want. Pop has always adjusted to the players he has at the time. Sure it is not always a perfect fit. He has and will put his players in position to utilize their talents. How many years does it take for some of you to see that.

Sure, but all NBA teams do that. What is it that sets the Spur system apart from the others in 2018?

JeffDuncan
10-30-2018, 11:50 PM
About the System, it could be argued that Pop's major achievement hasn't been so much with players as with coaches. Look around the league and it's like the Spurs under Pop are a dadgum coach factory.

SpurPadre
10-30-2018, 11:59 PM
Sure, but all NBA teams do that. What is it that sets the Spur system apart from the others in 2018?

That they have the longest active playoff streak in the NBA, most wins to go along with 5 rings in the Pop era...just that.

Mr. Body
10-31-2018, 01:02 AM
DDR is a fully formed player who isn't just a scorer but an underrated playmaker. He's stepped into a team with a major void in both areas and is doing very well so far.

John B
10-31-2018, 02:14 AM
You are kidding right? Spurs only on this situation because Kawhitter and his greedy uncle sabotaged us getting fair trade. But still we landed a sick DeKobe. That’s over 21 years of excellence and counting. Not the Lakers, not the Celtics, or Sixers. But small-fucking-market Spurs. You can say we had Duncan. Sure. But Lakers had Kobe and Shaq. How many mediocre years they have within 20 years? Hakeem? 2 championships and because MJ took a break. Malone/Stockton? Zilch. It’s easy to say we had Duncan. But like everyone else, they had a great player or two. 21 years and counting and small market where nobody wants to go. Spurs have carved 5 championships and made a 28th and 49th picks future HOFamers. And that Kawhitter shit. Who had a vision to trade a coach favorite for a mute who couldn’t shoot? Enough said. Not all NBA team. A lot of people in the position don’t have a clue of what they’re doing, just because they played ball sometime in their youth. Freaking MJ can’t scout. Magic a joke in coaching. Isiah freaking GM? Spurs fans are spoiled.

KimmyGib
10-31-2018, 03:47 PM
You are kidding right? Spurs only on this situation because Kawhitter and his greedy uncle sabotaged us getting fair trade. But still we landed a sick DeKobe. That’s over 21 years of excellence and counting. Not the Lakers, not the Celtics, or Sixers. But small-fucking-market Spurs. You can say we had Duncan. Sure. But Lakers had Kobe and Shaq. How many mediocre years they have within 20 years? Hakeem? 2 championships and because MJ took a break. Malone/Stockton? Zilch. It’s easy to say we had Duncan. But like everyone else, they had a great player or two. 21 years and counting and small market where nobody wants to go. Spurs have carved 5 championships and made a 28th and 49th picks future HOFamers. And that Kawhitter shit. Who had a vision to trade a coach favorite for a mute who couldn’t shoot? Enough said. Not all NBA team. A lot of people in the position don’t have a clue of what they’re doing, just because they played ball sometime in their youth. Freaking MJ can’t scout. Magic a joke in coaching. Isiah freaking GM? Spurs fans are spoiled.

Right on, I love the Spurs too. But you missed the part where I said that imo the renowned Spur System ended with the end of the Big 3 era. So the question is whether or not the superiority of Spur basketball is still a thing in 2018.

John B
10-31-2018, 04:56 PM
Right on, I love the Spurs too. But you missed the part where I said that imo the renowned Spur System ended with the end of the Big 3 era. So the question is whether or not the superiority of Spur basketball is still a thing in 2018.
Spurs system is making good decisions against popular judgement, because they know something. Spurs can turn a journeyman Dante to a 3nD serviceable to cover LeBron. Houston rather sign Melo instead because it’s popular. They are 1-4. Philly/Lakers/Bos all could’ve gotten Kawhi with a decent offer. Nope. What’s their standing? Anybody else whose star player jumped ship would have a rebuilding season, Cavs, Heat, Lakers with Kobe’s retirement. Not the Spurs. We’re still winning ballgames, right? Spurs system man.

TD 21
10-31-2018, 05:27 PM
:lmao At the brainwashed masses still reciting this "system" nonsense. It was always about the biggest 3, the same way the Warriors are now. The second those guys are gone, it goes with them.

It's amazing how many people still don't understand that it's mostly about personnel, especially in an increasingly homogenized league. There are no geniuses and there's a dwindling number of idiots. Most executives and coaches fall somewhere in between and what mostly determines where they're considered the former or the latter, is luck.

John B
10-31-2018, 05:40 PM
:lmao At the brainwashed masses still reciting this "system" nonsense. It was always about the biggest 3, the same way the Warriors are now. The second those guys are gone, it goes with them.

It's amazing how many people still don't understand that it's mostly about personnel, especially in an increasingly homogenized league. There are no geniuses and there's a dwindling number of idiots. Most executives and coaches fall somewhere in between and what mostly determines where they're considered the former or the latter, is luck.
Disagree. 21 years of excellence is not luck. Or 29 season out of 30. That’s excellent management. And it’s not merely because of the big 3. Because everybody else at some point had a star player or two. Malone/Stockton, Ewing, Barkely, Iverson, Ming/McGrady, Nash. Zero championships. We have 5. 28th and 49th picks future HOF. GSW has a good running also so far, but wait if they can stay relevant 21 years straight. It remains to be seen. But I’m sure if they could do it too, it wouldn’t be because of luck.

bic50
10-31-2018, 05:50 PM
Demar is a very good player and would have played great on any other team.

TD 21
10-31-2018, 05:57 PM
Disagree. 21 years of excellence is not luck. Or 29 season out of 30. That’s excellent management. And it’s not merely because of the big 3. Because everybody else at some point had a star player or two. Malone/Stockton, Ewing, Barkely, Iverson, Ming/McGrady, Nash. Zero championships. We have 5. 28th and 49th picks future HOF. GSW has a good running also so far, but wait if they can stay relevant 21 years straight. It remains to be seen. But I’m sure if they could do it too, it wouldn’t be because of luck.

It's a combination of luck and player developement. Getting Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili and Aldridge, was luck, while Parker and Leonard were a combination thereof. Every time they had one declining, they had another ascending to take the baton.

Sure, they nailed a bunch of things on the margins until '15, but even a lot of that credit goes to the biggest 3 for making it work. Besides, none of it would have mattered without them and later Leonard and Aldridge.

r0drig0lac
10-31-2018, 06:03 PM

Exactly, as incredible as still today, people who have not even watched 20 spurs games in the last 20 seasons just spew that nonsense shit, I still have to myself that Kawhi's reason for leaving was his uncle talking about how he would NEVER be recognized as he should be for playing for Pop (hell, even Duncan is still placed below Shaq and lmao Kobe in some random rankings and mostly by "new fans"), the system was always Duncan, Manu, Parker and then Kawhi, now it will be Derozan, that's how it works

Phenomanul
10-31-2018, 06:38 PM
Budenholdzer is using the "system" to turn the Bucks into a legitimate threat out east... it works when you get buy-in from your star players...

TD 21
10-31-2018, 06:52 PM
Exactly, as incredible as still today, people who have not even watched 20 spurs games in the last 20 seasons just spew that nonsense shit, I still have to myself that Kawhi's reason for leaving was his uncle talking about how he would NEVER be recognized as he should be for playing for Pop (hell, even Duncan is still placed below Shaq and lmao Kobe in some random rankings and mostly by "new fans"), the system was always Duncan, Manu, Parker and then Kawhi, now it will be Derozan, that's how it works

Agreed. That clearly was a factor in Aldridge being disgruntled too.

The biggest 3 were from a different era (technically, Parker is a millennial) and raised in different cultures.

Virtually no millennial American superstar or star, wants to play in a non glamour city, where the coach is treated as the biggest star by the media.

JPB
10-31-2018, 07:03 PM

You mean that system nonsense many coaches and players, starting by... Kerr admit having inspired themselves from ?

I'm not sure you realize the influence SA had on the NBA game on and off the court as a whole this past decade.

Unselfish, moving the ball, cutting, good to great shot, accountability... How many times did you hear opponents raving at how SA was moving the ball and disciplined they were when the big 3 was still a thing ?

You gotta have the personal but Pop (and the players) had the intelligence to adapt and went from 4 down to the beautiful game implementing a lot of euro plays and involving everyone. How many coaches would have just sticked to giving the ball to your star and letting him do his thing ?

It seems that YOU didn't watched a lot of spurs game, or rather you didn't SEE them.

cutewizard
10-31-2018, 07:05 PM
Agreed. Systems are plays to create open shots. And even harder when you’re the one facilitating. Not only is he scoring but also distributing career high assists. And neither is he pushing it. His individual defense is getting better, as well as total team defense. Yes he’s eclipsed my expectations. And his tenacity and hard work should be contagious. I feel he’s not satisfied with just getting good. This guy’s on a mission and would love everyone in the team to be on the same page. I think he is a great replacement, if anyone can replace the big three as far as leadership is concern. As great a technical player Kawhitter was, I don’t think he could rally the team behind him. I feel Demar could and he set by example.

Agree.

duncan2k5
10-31-2018, 10:33 PM
System? LMFAO!

DJR210
10-31-2018, 10:48 PM
Watching Kawhi tear the ball from Ben Simmons hands like he was a child on the opening possession of the game still pisses me off, but DeBeast's smooth integration into the offense has made things a little easier to cope with :tu

daslicer
10-31-2018, 10:56 PM
Watching Kawhi tear the ball from Ben Simmons hands like he was a child on the opening possession of the game still pisses me off, but DeBeast's smooth integration into the offense has made things a little easier to cope with :tu

I don't get why Spur fans enjoy being masochist. I don't even bother to watch Kawhi or any of his highlights. I'm only going watch this niggar when his team is on the verge of elimination.

DJR210
10-31-2018, 11:05 PM
I don't get why Spur fans enjoy being masochist. I don't even bother to watch Kawhi or any of his highlights. I'm only going watch this niggar when his team is on the verge of elimination.

I'm a Raptors fan for the season, cheering for that extra 1st.. Plus this Kodi add-on has been just as good as League Pass :tu

daslicer
10-31-2018, 11:09 PM
I'm a Raptors fan for the season, cheering for that extra 1st.. Plus this Kodi add-on has been just as good as League Pass :tu

Ok basically a Kawhi fanboy.

DJR210
10-31-2018, 11:24 PM
Ok basically a Kawhi fanboy.

Not at all, he's a faggot and I'd be happy to see him writhing in pain with a career ender.. after the season.

daslicer
10-31-2018, 11:30 PM
Not at all, he's a faggot and I'd be happy to see him writhing in pain with a career ender.. after the season.

I see where you are coming from. I give you a pass for cheering on the raptors for the regular season since it's about getting that first round pick but no way in hell should any spur fan root for them come playoff time.

DJR210
10-31-2018, 11:42 PM
I see where you are coming from. I give you a pass for cheering on the raptors for the regular season since it's about getting that first round pick but no way in hell should any spur fan root for them come playoff time.

Thank you so much for the pass :tu

Atl Spur
10-31-2018, 11:58 PM

Still at it I see.......... Get yourself together clown! It’s never that serious; sounding way to bitter & simple minded.

Spurs fever
11-01-2018, 12:01 AM
I don't get why Spur fans enjoy being masochist. I don't even bother to watch Kawhi or any of his highlights. I'm only going watch this niggar when his team is on the verge of elimination. I don't understand it either. He was and still is a great player but I'm more interested in how we develop going forward. I'm done with mourning Leonard. He's doing his thing and we doing ours. I'm cool with that.

daslicer
11-01-2018, 12:08 AM
Still at it I see.......... Get yourself together clown! It’s never that serious; sounding way to bitter & simple minded.

It is serious. This niggar got to sit out a year and collect paychecks from the Spurs while having his people bash the Spurs in the media. If kawhi played out his contract and left as an FA I would have been cool with it. Hell I would have been cool with it had he demanded a trade in the summer of 2017 and not thrown in that bs "I'm only going to play in LA" card.

Beartrucci
11-01-2018, 12:10 AM
I'm only going watch this niggar when his team is on the verge of elimination.

I understand having an open vibe as far as people posting what they want, but this is too much. And trolls call me what you will, this is bullshit. I'm surprised the mods are cool with it.

Atl Spur
11-01-2018, 12:17 AM
I understand having an open vibe as far as people posting what they want, but this is too much. And trolls call me what you will, this is bullshit. I'm surprised the mods are cool with it.

He seeks attention; I actually feel sorry for him. I applaude you for calling out his foolishness!

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2018, 12:24 AM
dont think his adapting to the system, more like pop giving him the green light to do whatever he wants

his new approach to managing players compared to the way how he loss kawhi cause of his autocratic style...

HarlemHeat37
11-01-2018, 12:27 AM

:lol relax..the poster you quoted is an old, racist white man with a mental disability, he writes long paragraphs that nobody ever reads..just scroll by his posts, you aren't missing anything noteworthy..

Beartrucci
11-01-2018, 12:28 AM
:lol relax..the poster you quoted is an old, racist white man with a mental disability, he writes long paragraphs that nobody ever reads..just scroll by his posts, you aren't missing anything noteworthy..

Fair enough :lol

Philthemage
11-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Right. And the system extends to further than basketball plays. This includes the foresight in drafting, developing and retaining the right talent. It wasn't luck that we were able to keep all the together for that long. And bringing in rotational players who knew their role.

System also means the personality and leadership style on the coaches, consistency within the organisation. While many including myself may feel we keep some players on too long post their primes, there has been a net positive from over the 20+ year span.

daslicer
11-01-2018, 12:45 AM

:lol Wow sounds like a description of yourself just switch white to black and that's you in a nut shell. You read my paragraphs all the time since you respond to me 24/7. Also on top of that look whose talking a black supremacist who says stupid shit on the regular such as Larry Bird was only great because the NBA threatened the lives and job security of the black players and thus the black players went easy on Larry Bird. You calling me out on racism is the equivalent of Farakkhan calling Trump out on racism. It's the pot meeting the kettle.

Also I have never told my race on this board. My personal belief is all races of people are garbage. I actually don't believe there is a superior race. When it comes to the word niggar I use it to describe all races of people. I call Trump a niggar all the time. Also I'm in my 30's. If you want to say that's old go ahead since you will be old in a few years to.

Budkin
11-01-2018, 12:47 AM
He’s way better than I ever realized.

Beartrucci
11-01-2018, 12:51 AM
He’s way better than I ever realized.

Have to agree here

skin27
11-01-2018, 01:20 AM
Thank god demar is not sucking like dick Jefferson did..lol

bic50
11-01-2018, 11:34 AM
It shouldn't bother you this much

bic50
11-01-2018, 11:34 AM
You need help

daslicer
11-01-2018, 11:37 AM
It shouldn't bother you this much

:lol wow a Kawhi dicksucker.

bic50
11-01-2018, 12:35 PM
:lol wow a Kawhi dicksucker.
Wow So predictable. Seek help

daslicer
11-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Wow So predictable. Seek help

You need to follow your advice. Go take his dick out of your mouth.

coachmac87
11-01-2018, 12:43 PM

You’re easily the most racist poster on this site and it’s not even close tbh

exstatic
11-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Not true. Sacto hasn't since the CWebb, Divac (player) days. Neither have many others.

There are a lot of teams out there that pay lip service, but the reality is that any owner can cash out at just about any time and make bank. They don't have to win. You won't see real interest in competitive teams unless the NBA institutes something like soccer relegation where your major league team can become a minor league team overnight.

duncan2k5
11-02-2018, 06:32 AM

rally team behind him? whats your goal? isnt it to beat the warriors and win a ring? who gives us the better chance? a well liked demar? or a killer in kawhi? our team won 61 games with kawhi, was first in defensive ppg...7th in assists per game...and was blowing out the warriors...what more than that would u have wanted from kawhi that year?

duncan2k5
11-02-2018, 06:34 AM
That they have the longest active playoff streak in the NBA, most wins to go along with 5 rings in the Pop era...just that.

we have had tim duncan...who has been the best player to play on a single team his entire time in the NBA...and kawhi, who was an absolute beast in the 2016 season...last year was really the only year we SHOULDN'T have made it, but did

duncan2k5
11-02-2018, 06:41 AM
i dont know why ppl are surprised at demar...just shows how in abox spurs fans are...the guy is a really good player...the question with him has ALWAYS been his playoff runs...he completely falls off a cliff...April will be the testament to how long i want him as a spur...currently we have career chokers on the team...not good

RC_Drunkford
11-02-2018, 07:34 AM
what more than that would u have wanted from kawhi that year?

maybe playing thru a tweaked ankle?

weeks
11-02-2018, 07:52 AM
another thing i liked about DeMar was at the end of the phx game, when it was long past mattering at all, he was getting up off the bench shouting encouragement/corrections to his teammates.

Mirrornick
11-02-2018, 08:27 AM
another thing i liked about DeMar was at the end of the phx game, when it was long past mattering at all, he was getting up off the bench shouting encouragement/corrections to his teammates.

He was always a great lockeroom guy and teammate, no doubt about that.

DaBears
11-02-2018, 08:30 AM
"The system" doesn't really exist anymore, at least on offense. Pop has said that he didn't try to change anything in DeMar's game like he tried to do with LMA.

DeMar is "grasping the system" so quickly because Pop molded it around him, not the other way around.

Spot on.. To just push your take further, I believe for much of Dmar & the SPURS offense is just let him go and create shots for himself or teammates and that is why you see his assists are up.

John B
11-02-2018, 09:24 AM
rally team behind him? whats your goal? isnt it to beat the warriors and win a ring? who gives us the better chance? a well liked demar? or a killer in kawhi? our team won 61 games with kawhi, was first in defensive ppg...7th in assists per game...and was blowing out the warriors...what more than that would u have wanted from kawhi that year?
Kawhitter was great no doubt about it. But it’s the Spurs way that the team was following then, with Pops, Manu, Tony, etc. spreading that culture of sharing. I would love to have Kawhitter back without the baggage, don’t get me wrong. He’s a deadly assassin. But a leader he’s not. If he could play with Demar, Spurs are beating the Dubs.

BillMc
11-02-2018, 09:59 AM
But a leader he’s not. If he could play with Demar, Spurs are beating the Dubs.

DeMar was the rumored third star that Pop told Kawhi they could go get and win a title when they were trying to keep Nephew. One wonders how good an LMA, DeMar, Kawhi trio could have been and if they could have challenged the Dubs. But it is moot, because Klaw bolted.

playbonner15
11-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Thank god demar is not sucking like dick Jefferson did..lol
Imagine the meltdown lol. But if the Spurs used him like the Cavs did, it wouldnt be so bad

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-03-2018, 05:18 AM
In my opinion Pop learned from the Aldridge trade request that sometimes you have to let your good players play their game so they can be effective. Shit Kawhi was doing whatever he wanted offensively while he was here also. Of course you would see some of the good old familiar sets Pop runs but overall Kawhi did a lot of iso ball just like how DeRozan has been doing.

This is what makes Pop one of the greatest coaches of all time though. He has consistently changed styles (sometimes hella late) to fit personnel. DeRozan like many have stated though is putting up great assist numbers because he is the primary offensive creator for the team right now. He has done a wonderful job of picking up the slack so far and hopefully when White and Walker come back he will not have to bare the burden of so much because he is going to burn out if he does.