PDA

View Full Version : The calvary ain’t coming

Dverde
11-01-2018, 09:50 AM
This is our team minus a hurt Derrick White. PATFO would have already made a move if they wanted to bring someone else in. It will be a rotation of G-League semi-scrubs sitting on the bench rest of the year. We are not getting Jimmy Butler, Patrick Beverly, Trevor Ariza, Tyson Chandler, Stanley Johnson, no one of any prominence is coming this season. No buy out players are coming. PATFO will not make a trade unless the player asks to be moved. They won’t give up our draft pick or the Toronto pick to add a better player.

This year is about getting our young players experience and integrating Derozen into the Spurs system. Playoffs may happen, but we won’t go far. Realistically, we have only two players who can score 25+ points and a lack of defensively skilled players. People need to adjust lofty expectations for this team. There is no panic needed when they struggle during the season. Lean into this mediocre team and enjoy the ride known as the 2018-2019 Spurs!

Leetonidas
11-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Very astute observations tbh

Immortal Spur
11-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Facts.

DontStopBelieving
11-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Impeccable timing

daslicer
11-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Agreed. Just enjoy watching Derozan get these 30 plus games. There is no expectation of winning a title along with no pressure that comes associated with it.

r0drig0lac
11-01-2018, 10:05 AM
get out of here with your perfect logic, this is not spurstalk stuff

skin27
11-01-2018, 10:09 AM
No one expect this team to be a contender.

ill be happy if aldridge or derozan get to all nba team , allstar game and win a playoff series(first round)

BillMc
11-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Which puts us ahead of last year, when we kept thinkin' Nephew would return. At least no distractions now.

Mr. Body
11-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Look, Kawhi fucked this team hard. I don't know what you expect from this team after he fucked them over so hard. Trying to maintain winning basketball is the limit at this point.

offset formation
11-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Which puts us ahead of last year, when we kept thinkin' Nephew would return. At least no distractions now.

The excision of a metastasizing growth cannot be overstated. At some point, that cancer will come back, be it this year or another. We should all be grateful it's going to attack the body of a different franchise than the Spurs when it does.

SpursDynasty85
11-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Gay can easily score more than 25. He is shooting such a high FG% right now and averaging 15+ pts. Great thing is his wingspan is allowing for a lot of disruption on the boards and defensive end as well. This is at least a middle of the road playoff team in the West as currently constructed (with injuries). Considering those teams along with the Spurs have been so bad and can be considered trying to rebuild for many years and now have young superstars as well, we are doing pretty darn good in my book. Sorry we can't compete with super teams doesn't mean our fans can't enjoy the team as currently constructed.

daslicer
11-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Gay can easily score more than 25. He is shooting such a high FG% right now and averaging 15+ pts. Great thing is his wingspan is allowing for a lot of disruption on the boards and defensive end as well. This is at least a middle of the road playoff team in the West as currently constructed (with injuries). Considering those teams along with the Spurs have been so bad and can be considered trying to rebuild for many years and now have young superstars as well, we are doing pretty darn good in my book. Sorry we can't compete with super teams doesn't mean our fans can't enjoy the team as currently constructed.

The way things are going no one can compete with the Warriors. The Warriors look like they are going to go on a Russell Celtics type of a run if they keep everybody together. It's pretty much why I don't care to watch them anymore during the regular season or even the playoffs unless the Spurs are playing them. It's also the reason why losing Kawhi hurts a lot less.

RC_Drunkford
11-01-2018, 10:38 AM
We know that. It's more about bringing them in NEXT season. The problem with that is that as long as we got Mills on the books we can't bring them in NEXT season unless we trade for them THIS season, so we have bird rights to resign them. Otherwise NEXT season will be exactly like THIS season. Stanley Johnson would be the only exception as the MLE should be enough to get him.

Russ
11-01-2018, 11:00 AM
The calvary ain't coming.

Is this a religious observation?

Ocotillo
11-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Look, Kawhi fucked this team hard. I don't know what you expect from this team after he fucked them over so hard. Trying to maintain winning basketball is the limit at this point.

This is true.

Tanking is not a panacea either. Look at the 76ers. Year after year of top of the draft picks and while they now have a nice competitive team, they still haven't solved the mystery of advancing to the finals, hell even the ECF.

Tanking buys you a lottery ticket. This organization has won twice by being bad the year David Robinson and Tim Duncan came out.

That being said, I am enjoying watching this team nonetheless. DeMar has been amazing to see, LA is starting to get it going, Rudy is strong, hell even Bryn Forbes is turning into a player in front of us. I am looking forward to seeing how LWIV and Derrick White do when they get back in.

My concerns are Davis is disappointing and I worry that Derrick White may be brittle.

Kobe'sAchilles
11-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Derrick white and lonnie Walker are calvary tbh. We need them both for defensive purposes.

marinoman
11-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Call me delusional but I can see ariza being waived and The Spurs picking him up. Likely no, possibility yes

Dverde
11-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Naw, I meant cavalry. Good catch

Namundy
11-01-2018, 12:05 PM
I agree with the overall thought here -- however I do think the Spurs will be active on the buyout market.

ceperez
11-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Agreed. Just enjoy watching Derozan get these 30 plus games. There is no expectation of winning a title along with no pressure that comes associated with it.

I agree, zero chance of winning a title with GSW. Spurs did the league a favor by trading their defense (kawhi and green) to another contender (toronto) that has a smidgen of a chance of defending against GSW.

Dverde
11-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Naw, I meant cavalry. Good catch

daslicer
11-01-2018, 12:22 PM
I agree, zero chance of winning a title with GSW. Spurs did the league a favor by trading their defense (kawhi and green) to another contender (toronto) that has a smidgen of a chance of defending against GSW.

TBH as long as Kawhi is on the Raptors I will root hard for their failures granted I'm not following them during the regular season. If the Raptors get to the finals then I hope the Warriors sweep them. My hatred for Kawhi overrides my hatred for the Warriors.

John B
11-01-2018, 12:32 PM
I disagree. It’s a win now situation with Demar, LMA and even Pops. Demar for one is on a mission. He was just traded because he couldn’t deliver. He’s out to prove himself and FO needs to feed that hunger. A losing season will not help the Spurs. Demar would leave. And San Antonio cannot absorb another superstar leaving. It would be a fast downward spiral to mediocrity with Pops leaving sooner. I don’t think they would go all in with the house money, but would call when opportunity come knocking. Right now their little experiment is working. We are beating the teams that we are suppose to beat. Dante is serviceable. Poindexter seems decent. Will wait for White and Walker to come aboard. Assess if anything else is missing to make another run. Having been a Spurs fan since 1988, I’ve learned that Spurs is not about just getting into the playoffs. It’s winning the ring. Not kamikaze style, but making the right call, making extra pass, cut hard, rebound, closeins. They would not get Butler if they don’t think they could afford him. But if the price is right and would get them over the hump, why not? So right now they’re assessing.

8FOR!3
11-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Derrick white and lonnie Walker are calvary tbh. We need them both for defensive purposes.

I would think Derrick White is the backup PG at this point right? Like Forbes has seemingly won the starting job imo but idk. If Walker is a player then he gets minutes over Bertans/Cunningham.

Chinook
11-01-2018, 12:47 PM
The Spurs almost certainly won't make a trade, but there's no reason to think they had to make one already. Half their roster can't be traded yet. Other half are guys like Mills and Gasol whose contracts are too big and who play too big of roles to be moved so lightly. Or they're guys on rookie deals whom the team wouldn't want to move in a panic deal.

SpursDynasty85
11-01-2018, 12:56 PM
I disagree. It’s a win now situation with Demar, LMA and even Pops. Demar for one is on a mission. He was just traded because he couldn’t deliver. He’s out to prove himself and FO needs to feed that hunger. A losing season will not help the Spurs. Demar would leave. And San Antonio cannot absorb another superstar leaving. It would be a fast downward spiral to mediocrity with Pops leaving sooner. I don’t think they would go all in with the house money, but would call when opportunity come knocking. Right now their little experiment is working. We are beating the teams that we are suppose to beat. Dante is serviceable. Poindexter seems decent. Will wait for White and Walker to come aboard. Assess if anything else is missing to make another run. Having been a Spurs fan since 1988, I’ve learned that Spurs is not about just getting into the playoffs. It’s winning the ring. Not kamikaze style, but making the right call, making extra pass, cut hard, rebound, closeins. They would not get Butler if they don’t think they could afford him. But if the price is right and would get them over the hump, why not? So right now they’re assessing.

Unless Butler wants to sign a long term extension this is not a possibility because Butlers price is too high. We would need to give them multiple draft picks and some of our best prospects. Doubt Spurs go "kamikaze" this year like you said.

I dont really see Patty getting traded this year but only to philly because of the coaching and Australia connections. Pau is more likely to move but even then a longshot.

spurraider21
11-01-2018, 01:05 PM
i'm still waiting for the season where we finally acquire Brad Miller

Kobe'sAchilles
11-01-2018, 02:14 PM
I would think Derrick White is the backup PG at this point right? Like Forbes has seemingly won the starting job imo but idk. If Walker is a player then he gets minutes over Bertans/Cunningham.
I always thought White fits better on the bench. He can create for Patty on offense and cover for him on defense a bit. He also plays off the ball really well that fits with Marco and Gasol. I think Lonnie would've gotten more playing time this year and by the end he would be relied on as a spark off the bench. He still could be that player bc we are playing Cun and Pon for goodness sake, but this injury really hurt him as far as playing later on in the year.

exstatic
11-01-2018, 02:44 PM
https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/272972/

John B
11-01-2018, 03:10 PM
https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/272972/
:lol:lol:lol

Spurs da champs
11-01-2018, 03:47 PM
This is true.

Tanking is not a panacea either. Look at the 76ers. Year after year of top of the draft picks and while they now have a nice competitive team, they still haven't solved the mystery of advancing to the finals, hell even the ECF.

Tanking buys you a lottery ticket. This organization has won twice by being bad the year David Robinson and Tim Duncan came out.

That being said, I am enjoying watching this team nonetheless. DeMar has been amazing to see, LA is starting to get it going, Rudy is strong, hell even Bryn Forbes is turning into a player in front of us. I am looking forward to seeing how LWIV and Derrick White do when they get back in.

My concerns are Davis is disappointing and I worry that Derrick White may be brittle.

The 76ers had the assets to become a contender they just overrated those assets & now said assets are exposed & hold even less value today. Seriously calling Fultz off limits & even Simmons in a trade for Kawhi was just beyond foolish.

gambit1990
11-01-2018, 03:57 PM
spurs are making a trade this season.

SpurPadre
11-01-2018, 04:10 PM
I don't like standing by this philosophy because it ignores the fact that LMA is 33 years old going on 34. Do PATFO really think he's going to keep playing at an All Star level for much longer? Look how many minutes he's already logging. Why not maximize this season for LMA with the best team possible? Meanwhile, DD is 29. Do PATFO want to waste a DeRozan who is at the peak of his prime without the best team around him possible? You can't just throw this season aside and think next season. No, this team needs the calvary NOW. Then again, I admit it does seem fruitless with how the league let the Dubs get away with getting Cousins, who is progressing quicker in his rehab than they thought. Once they get him aboard and the fucker starts camping out at the three point line draining threes, it'll make an already unfair team that more unbeatable. So, it's really a damned if you and damned if you don't scenario. Basketball sucks now...

vander
11-01-2018, 05:24 PM
This is our team minus a hurt Derrick White. PATFO would have already made a move if they wanted to bring someone else in. It will be a rotation of G-League semi-scrubs sitting on the bench rest of the year. We are not getting Jimmy Butler, Patrick Beverly, Trevor Ariza, Tyson Chandler, Stanley Johnson, no one of any prominence is coming this season. No buy out players are coming. PATFO will not make a trade unless the player asks to be moved. They won’t give up our draft pick or the Toronto pick to add a better player.

This year is about getting our young players experience and integrating Derozen into the Spurs system. Playoffs may happen, but we won’t go far. Realistically, we have only two players who can score 25+ points and a lack of defensively skilled players. People need to adjust lofty expectations for this team. There is no panic needed when they struggle during the season. Lean into this mediocre team and enjoy the ride known as the 2018-2019 Spurs!

oh so that's why he's playing Gasol so much and Bertans/Poeltl/Metu so little

Proxy
11-01-2018, 05:26 PM
slitting wrists because they haven't made a trade 6 games into the season?

SAGirl
11-01-2018, 06:33 PM
Good post and reasonable POV. It will be a worthy bump when they face a stronger stretch in the schedule and meltdowns happen.

We can then remember this warning.

FireMicoHalili
11-01-2018, 06:41 PM
slitting wrists because they haven't made a trade 6 games into the season?
people have done this ever since Leonard demanded a trade. It's a matter of adjusting expectations and just enjoying the team even if they lost so much value after Leonard left. Probably would be lucky to make it to the WCF given the quality of talent. Shouldn't preclude others from enjoying wins. I'm surprised some people haven't gotten over losing Leonard, as if there's something they can do about it apart from whining about Pop and the front office. Criticism on PATFO is warranted but it gets old after a while.

mexicanjunior
11-01-2018, 06:42 PM
What a waste of a season...

FireMicoHalili
11-01-2018, 06:43 PM
What a waste of a season...
essentially the endgame for 29 teams not named Golden State

JeffDuncan
11-01-2018, 06:56 PM
This is our team minus a hurt Derrick White. PATFO would have already made a move if they wanted to bring someone else in. ...

Already??

Does anybody know what time it is?
Does anybody really care?

We are a zillion years from the trade deadline, and many teams around the league are in turmoil. Do not petrify your eggs before they're hatched.

..., no one of any prominence is coming this season. ...

We do not need prominence. We merely need competence.

mo7888
11-01-2018, 07:06 PM
I don't think we make a trade but, if we do I don't think it'll be moving our bad contracts. I think it would involve LMA if someone unexpected becomes available that pop think makes a difference.

stu scotts eye
11-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Well, I think its unanimous that this team, nor any other, can take out the Warriors in a series.

But with the Rockets looking like shit we have just a good a chance as any other team, to end in the top 5 overall.

As White and Lonnie return and we continue to figure all the new faces out, I sincerely think we can improve into a top 5 team. With Pop on our side and DeRozan with that chip on his shoulder, I think our peak will be defined by what White and Lonnie can add to this core.

That's enough for me this season.

Chinook
11-01-2018, 08:49 PM
My desire to keep picks or let this be a lost year depends a lot on how the team looks come December. There's not a very good chance for the team to make noise without Murray, but they're window is still two or three years. If the team looks bad or mediocre to the point where they could realistically get a pick in the teens, then I wouldn't be willing to trade that pick. But if they are top-four in the conference and look to have a pick around 25, I'm willing to deal for some benefit to next year. A player like Porter makes as much sense for next year as he does for this year. Even if they aren't winning without Murray, having an integrated Porter with a healthy Murray is probably worth a lot. Something similar could be said with getting extension rights on Dinwiddie and cleaning away Pau's contract. Even a big move for a starting PG like Teague could make sense given the roster's flexibility to play big or small.

PATFO is more conservative than I am, and that's saved them from making trades I would have made in their place. But they've already shown a willingness to make some moves this year. As I've said a couple of times, they pretty much can't do so until December, but I also don't think the team traded for a win-now DeRozan with the idea that they weren't going to go "all-in" eventually. Pop knows time is short.

coachmac87
11-01-2018, 09:02 PM
My desire to keep picks or let this be a lost year depends a lot on how the team looks come December. There's not a very good chance for the team to make noise without Murray, but they're window is still two or three years. If the team looks bad or mediocre to the point where they could realistically get a pick in the teens, then I wouldn't be willing to trade that pick. But if they are top-four in the conference and look to have a pick around 25, I'm willing to deal for some benefit to next year. A player like Porter makes as much sense for next year as he does for this year. Even if they aren't winning without Murray, having an integrated Porter with a healthy Murray is probably worth a lot. Something similar could be said with getting extension rights on Dinwiddie and cleaning away Pau's contract. Even a big move for a starting PG like Teague could make sense given the roster's flexibility to play big or small.

PATFO is more conservative than I am, and that's saved them from making trades I would have made in their place. But they've already shown a willingness to make some moves this year. As I've said a couple of times, they pretty much can't do so until December, but I also don't think the team traded for a win-now DeRozan with the idea that they weren't going to go "all-in" eventually. Pop knows time is short.

Your last sentence is the key...

What does Pop wanna do? He’s the one who holds the keys in which direction they go and how agreessive they are.

Dverde
11-01-2018, 09:11 PM
Your last sentence is the key...

What does Pop wanna do? He’s the one who holds the keys in which direction they go and how agreessive they are.

Pop seems like the type of person who wants to hand off the keys with the team in good shape. I still think Ime Udoka will replace him. I was hoping for Coach Bud, but he’s going thrive with the Bucks.

FireMicoHalili
11-01-2018, 09:30 PM

Some good points, especially PATFO's conservatism. Most of us have been here a while and the rule has been if there was a move to be done, it's most likely Pop won't do it, and one can argue it cost the Spurs a window of opportunity during the Big Three's twilight years. Kawhi was a boon but he's gone.

1. Trading for a PG makes little sense. Fills a gap this year, creates a glut next year. While it keeps the Spurs afloat this year it's bad for development next year.
2. Porter could be had especially if Washington blows it up this year. Gut feel tells me if the Spurs were to make a move it would probably for George Hill + filler (Hood, Nwaba/Dekker). Historically the deals that PATFO made have been okay to mildly disappointing and I'm not sure they'll make a trade that impresses the fan base. General rule, PATFO will never get anyone the fan base likes.
3. Number 25 is the pick's ceiling? Or 21? Not too much to expect the Spurs to make the most out of that range but it's a valuable trade chip, can be packaged with Pau. Not sure if Mills is tradable with that contract and that skill set.
4. PATFO has gotten rid of too many players with corporate knowledge that it's counterintuitive to think they'd make more. It gets tiring but the front office extremely values its 'corporate knowledge'.
5. Not sure about Dinwiddie, advanced stats don't do him any favors.

superbigtime
11-01-2018, 09:42 PM
low expectations but liking what I see for the most part.

Chinook
11-01-2018, 10:02 PM
Some good points, especially PATFO's conservatism. Most of us have been here a while and the rule has been if there was a move to be done, it's most likely Pop won't do it, and one can argue it cost the Spurs a window of opportunity during the Big Three's twilight years. Kawhi was a boon but he's gone.

1. Trading for a PG makes little sense. Fills a gap this year, creates a glut next year. While it keeps the Spurs afloat this year it's bad for development next year.
2. Porter could be had especially if Washington blows it up this year. Gut feel tells me if the Spurs were to make a move it would probably for George Hill + filler (Hood, Nwaba/Dekker). Historically the deals that PATFO made have been okay to mildly disappointing and I'm not sure they'll make a trade that impresses the fan base. General rule, PATFO will never get anyone the fan base likes.
3. Number 25 is the pick's ceiling? Or 21? Not too much to expect the Spurs to make the most out of that range but it's a valuable trade chip, can be packaged with Pau. Not sure if Mills is tradable with that contract and that skill set.
4. PATFO has gotten rid of too many players with corporate knowledge that it's counterintuitive to think they'd make more. It gets tiring but the front office extremely values its 'corporate knowledge'.
5. Not sure about Dinwiddie, advanced stats don't do him any favors.

1 -- I think a number of PGs could start next to Murray and DeRozan. Teague would be dicey. I don't know if there'd be a glut, given that the team would likely have to send out like Mills and Bertans for Jeff. Then you'd have Teague and Murray start, and White and Forbes off the bench.
2 -- I think Hill as a buyout candidate may make a ton of sense. He probably wants to come back, and even a healthy (for this season) team could use him. His contract makes him an awkward trade target. Essentially, any trade involving him would also mean SA saving a ton of money next season. Cleveland would want to be paid for the cap savings even more than Hill. For the type of upgrade Hill is, that might not be worth it.
3 -- 21st-overall is a good pick. Moreover, if the team were sitting at 21 in February, there'd still be too much risk of the pick falling into the teens or even the lottery. A teens pick is valuable, not just for drafting, but it can be the main incentive in a deal for a lesser star. That's important for any trades involving future value. Certainly wouldn't use it just to dump Patty.
4 -- This is true, and I do think we underrate culture. Patty may well have been part of the group that got LMA's head on straight last year, just like Gay was with DeRozan this year. Rudy would have been worth his contract even if he were hobbled and weak on his way out of the league. Patty could be, not worth his deal, per se, but he could have more to do with how great the chemistry seems now than we want to admit.
5 -- Dinwiddie is one of the best iso scorers in the game, so it's not surprising that his advanced stats aren't great. I like that he's a microwave-type with wing size but who can also run the point a bit. I don't his grown into the bona-fide third/fourth-option type the team really needs now to rest DeRozan, but he could get there. The bench needs reliable points, and right now, only Beli can get them. Marco's inconsistency looms large though.

Seventyniner
11-01-2018, 10:23 PM

Jesus ain't walkin through that door, if that's what you mean.

SAGirl
11-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Agreed with your view that it could be fine to be opportunistic with trades bc it might be more difficult to add players through cap space next season, so a trade for a contributor this season and next makes sense. I like Porter.

Somehow I don't see them getting a pick in the teens. When they get the guys back that are injured (minus Murray obviously) they will be a better team and the West outside GSW is up for grabs for a number of teams. Spurs aren't any worse than them at this point and DDR has surprised me with his ability to close games.

There's a chance they get further injuries and then really fall out and should one of LMA or DDR be unavailable for a stretch they will be in trouble (but that's the same for most teams outside the stacked ones, they rely on their stars a lot and skid heavily without them). Thus, I am inclined to be opportunistic with trades. I just think PATFO isn't opportunistic by nature and more inclined to stand pat. There's a number of coaches pets they could trade but won't.

Dverde
11-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Agreed with your view that it could be fine to be opportunistic with trades bc it might be more difficult to add players through cap space next season, so a trade for a contributor this season and next makes sense. I like Porter.

Somehow I don't see them getting a pick in the teens. When they get the guys back that are injured (minus Murray obviously) they will be a better team and the West outside GSW is up for grabs for a number of teams. Spurs aren't any worse than them at this point and DDR has surprised me with his ability to close games.

There's a chance they get further injuries and then really fall out and should one of LMA or DDR be unavailable for a stretch they will be in trouble (but that's the same for most teams outside the stacked ones, they rely on their stars a lot and skid heavily without them). Thus, I am inclined to be opportunistic with trades. I just think PATFO isn't opportunistic by nature and more inclined to stand pat. There's a number of coaches pets they could trade but won't.

Are you both talking about Otto Porter? The guy who makes 27M and averages 11 pts a game this year?

Chinook
11-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Are you both talking about Otto Porter? The guy who makes 27M and averages 11 pts a game this year?

He's having a bad year, but he's been a great three-and-D player with legit size. Would have a chance to be a really good player for years. Does make about $5 Million more per than I'd like.

exstatic
11-02-2018, 02:31 PM

He's having a bad start, but shot over 50% both of the last 2 seasons and in the same period, over 43% from 3, and scored 13.4 and 14.7 ppg. He's 25, and a plug in starting SF. Washington is a dumpster fire, and there are two big dogs that eat at the trough before he does. I'd take him in a heartbeat. In this superheated NBA economy, $26M is a pretty normal deal for a young quality wing starter who still has some potential to tap. This is what it is to 'buy low'. You have to roll the dice on a guy with a couple of good seasons under his belt, but who is really struggling now, and makes a pretty big paycheck.

Fusternino
11-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Going back to a point I made earlier . . .

If we trade for OPJ, Wizards will want Poeltl even if the rest is just salary filler (they consider OPJ's contract an albatross and have no bench) at positions outside of SF.

Are you ready to trust Metu/Miluntinov now and also guarantee the final year of Pau's contract? If it really is Mills/Bertans/Poeltl for OPJ (a pick could go in either direction and also Forbes) then we could re-sign Gay for 2 years or a 1+1 to line up with LMA, DDR, and OPJ to have:

Murray/DDR/OPJ/LMA/Gasol
White/Marco/Gay/Metu/Milutinov
1-3 picks/Forbes?/Blossomgame?/whatever Milutinov doesn't take of the MLE/minimum deals

Chinook
11-02-2018, 03:51 PM
The Wizards probably wanted Kawhi last year too. Them wanting Jakob doesn't mean SA has to give him up. Not that I'd really care about that trade, but Gasol is necessary salary filler for anything prior to January (and likely afterwards given how expensive Mills is. The idea of trading Pau and Poeltl is risky. Like they'd need to have a plan for the five already set up. Buyout candidates, a Baynes 2.0 from overseas. They can't give Brimah and Eubanks real minutes without those guys showing a LOT more than they have so far.

RC_Drunkford
11-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Going back to a point I made earlier . . .

If we trade for OPJ, Wizards will want Poeltl even if the rest is just salary filler (they consider OPJ's contract an albatross and have no bench) at positions outside of SF.

Are you ready to trust Metu/Miluntinov now and also guarantee the final year of Pau's contract? If it really is Mills/Bertans/Poeltl for OPJ (a pick could go in either direction and also Forbes) then we could re-sign Gay for 2 years or a 1+1 to line up with LMA, DDR, and OPJ to have:

Murray/DDR/OPJ/LMA/Gasol
White/Marco/Gay/Metu/Milutinov
1-3 picks/Forbes?/Blossomgame?/whatever Milutinov doesn't take of the MLE/minimum deals

I would do that in a heartbeat. In the offseason you'd still have the MLE to add another defensive wing in Stanley Johnson and the draft pick for another wing. We could easily sign Tyson Chandler for the vet minimum as a back up big.

Murray/DeRozan/Porter/Gay/Aldridge
White/Forbes/Belinelli/Johnson/Chandler
vet PG/Walker/Rookie SF/Metu/Milutinov

Dverde
11-02-2018, 04:01 PM
He's having a bad start, but shot over 50% both of the last 2 seasons and in the same period, over 43% from 3, and scored 13.4 and 14.7 ppg. He's 25, and a plug in starting SF. Washington is a dumpster fire, and there are two big dogs that eat at the trough before he does. I'd take him in a heartbeat. In this superheated NBA economy, $26M is a pretty normal deal for a young quality wing starter who still has some potential to tap. This is what it is to 'buy low'. You have to roll the dice on a guy with a couple of good seasons under his belt, but who is really struggling now, and makes a pretty big paycheck.

So we are “buying low” at a guy making close to the unrestricted FA max about the same as DD and LMA. A guy who was part of a “dumpster fire” team and an “albatross” contract for The Washington Generals. Never averaged more than 15 points during the season. He’s going to expect a max contract next go around too. Quality posters on here like him so I must be lost in the woods on this one, I don’t watch a whole lot of NBA outside of the Spurs. Remember NBA peeps laughing at the Wizards for matching that contract when it happened. I admit I haven’t seen him play a lot.

r0drig0lac
11-02-2018, 04:15 PM
I would do that in a heartbeat. In the offseason you'd still have the MLE to add another defensive wing in Stanley Johnson and the draft pick for another wing. We could easily sign Tyson Chandler for the vet minimum as a back up big.

Murray/DeRozan/Porter/Gay/Aldridge
White/Forbes/Belinelli/Johnson/Chandler
vet PG/Walker/Rookie SF/Metu/Milutinov

easy

SpurOutofTownFan
11-02-2018, 05:45 PM
This smells like caca

SAGirl
11-03-2018, 12:06 AM
Washington is having a bad season as a team but he’s young and has been really good inba very recent past. You are talking about a young player who can shoot defend and has years of health and his prime ahead. This is the franchise that has Paddy abd Pau in overpriced deals... yeah I take Otto and send the duo out.

SAGirl
11-03-2018, 12:08 AM
Double post... edited out

Mr. Body
11-03-2018, 12:27 AM
I can't wait for years of pathetic bitching about Otto Porter's contract like we get about Patty and Gasol.

Chinook
11-03-2018, 12:41 AM
I can't wait for years of pathetic bitching about Otto Porter's contract like we get about Patty and Gasol.

Porter's likely a free agent after next season.

YGWHI
11-03-2018, 01:06 AM
Don't get why people here say "maybe the Spurs make playoffs. maybe not. there is no pressure..."

Are you watching other teams' games? They won tonight but Houston and OKC are still playing horrible. Utah Pels aren't consistent. Lakers is a non-playoff team.

There isn't a better team than the Warriors and the Spurs in the WC.

Seventyniner
11-03-2018, 01:07 AM

Yeah, that makes it way more palatable. The Spurs have a lot of cap space lined up in 2020.

Of course, that makes the Wizards less likely to want to dump him too. His contract is big in dollar terms, but short enough in duration to not really be an albatross.

BillMc
11-03-2018, 01:09 AM
Don't get why people here say "maybe the Spurs make playoffs. maybe not. there is no pressure..."

Are you watching other teams' games? They won tonight but Houston and OKC are still playing horrible. Utah Pels aren't consistent. Lakers is a non-playoff team.

Not sure we're second best in the West, but do agree Spurs are easily a playoff team.

skin27
11-03-2018, 01:10 AM

so you think we’re gonna get the 2nd seed?

YGWHI
11-03-2018, 01:16 AM
so you think we’re gonna get the 2nd seed?
Yes.

In many offseason threads I rated them above every team in the West but GSW. After Murray/Lonnie/White injures I though 2-4 could be fair. Then back to my original #2 seed.

skin27
11-03-2018, 01:18 AM
Yes.

In many offseason threads I rated them above every team in the West but GSW. After Murray/Lonnie/White injures I though 2-4 could be fair. Then back to my original #2 seed.

Really? I hope your take become a reality

Chinook
11-03-2018, 01:30 AM
I expect the Spurs to make the playoffs, but tomorrow's game will do a lot to determine how good the team is. The Pelicans are a solid, but not elite, playoff team. Beating them at home is just what a team in the top half of the Western bracket has to do. I don't expect it to be easy without some fourth Spur flirting with a 20-point game. Hopefully Gasol can come in and continue his aggressive play. I like Randle a lot, but I do think the team can get away with playing big for stretches. They don't need to start Poeltl or anything like that, but getting in some good Aldridge/Gasol time would help put pressure on NOP's front court.

r0drig0lac
11-03-2018, 05:09 AM

and is also a better player than Patty and Pau together

Chinook
11-03-2018, 05:25 AM
and is also a better player than Patty and Pau together

Having Porter on the team by fiat would definitely be worth it in my opinion. It's just a question of how much is too much to trade. Like they could ask for Walker, Gasol and Poeltl. I wouldn't touch that. Dunno if I'd even touch a Bertans, Gasol, and both picks deal if that SA pick isn't like top-23 protected or something. The goal of any Porter trade would be to still have a viable roster afterwards or at least having a free pick to use this summer. I like Otto, but he's still a complementary player.

r0drig0lac
11-03-2018, 05:30 AM
Having Porter on the team by fiat would definitely be worth it in my opinion. It's just a question of how much is too much to trade. Like they could ask for Walker, Gasol and Poeltl. I wouldn't touch that. Dunno if I'd even touch a Bertans, Gasol, and both picks deal if that SA pick isn't like top-23 protected or something. The goal of any Porter trade would be to still have a viable roster afterwards or at least having a free pick to use this summer. I like Otto, but he's still a complementary player.

I'm also not involving Walker in any trade currently possible, he could be the best player on the team before his first contract ends.

SouthTexasRancher
11-03-2018, 05:30 AM
I've been saying Otto Porter, Jr. for Gasol and Mills for several months. Under Pop he'd be very good and Washington gets two players with several years of NBA Championships experience. I could easily see us getting to the WC Finals. Maybe with a few breaks we go to the ???

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-03-2018, 05:47 AM
The team would never trade Pau and Patty in the same season unless they got a certified star player back in the deal. Both guys are elder statesmen and looked at as leaders on the team. I honestly would be surprised if the team did any type of deal this season also but you never know.

Like many have already stated Otto Porter Jr. is a good player who is heavily overpaid. I think he would fit nicely with our team but Washington is going to be unrealistic with trade demands if they try to move him.

I honestly hope Pop actually plays Walker once he is back from injury because that means he might actually be a solid to good NBA player sooner rather than later. If he gets run that means Pop has confidence in him

tbdog
11-03-2018, 06:00 AM
Trying to get 3 all stars on Max or near Max contracts is just a retaliation due to the warriors. Porter is a Max player but not an all-star. The issue is that mills and gasol combined are paid as all-stars those 12mil contracts are the new 8mil ones from previous years. They are killers.

sasaint
11-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Already??

Does anybody know what time it is?
Does anybody really care?

We are a zillion years from the trade deadline, and many teams around the league are in turmoil. Do not petrify your eggs before they're hatched.

We do not need prominence. We merely need competence.

If so, I can’t imagine why...

Great post. Truth that made me chuckle. : tu

Fusternino
11-03-2018, 07:26 AM
OPJ isn't going to opt-out of his final year. He would be be signed through 2020-2021.

Dverde
12-15-2018, 01:45 PM
No Butler, no Ariza, bring on the next “trade target”.

Dverde
02-07-2019, 02:15 PM
“PATFO would have already made a move if they wanted to bring someone else in. It will be a rotation of G-League semi-scrubs sitting on the bench rest of the year. We are not getting Jimmy Butler, Patrick Beverly, Trevor Ariza, Tyson Chandler, Stanley Johnson, no one of any prominence is coming this season. No buy out players are coming. PATFO will not make a trade unless the player asks to be moved. They won’t give up our draft pick or the Toronto pick to add a better player.

This year is about getting our young players experience and integrating Derozen into the Spurs system. Playoffs may happen, but we won’t go far. Realistically, we have only two players who can score 25+ points and a lack of defensively skilled players. People need to adjust lofty expectations for this team. There is no panic needed when they struggle during the season. Lean into this mediocre team and enjoy the ride known as the 2018-2019 Spurs!”

:bobo