PDA

View Full Version : THE RINGER: DeRozan a dark horse candidate for MVP

TDomination
11-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Obviously its still early BUT Honestly if the spurs are able to get a top 4 seed and DeRozan continues his outstanding play, I could definitely see DeRozan being in legit talks for MVP.

Spurs are supposed to miss the playoffs this year according to a lot of media and our roster ain't that great outside of DDR LMA and Gay, so if we succeed this year, that means DDR had a major impact on this team.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/30/18044404/demar-derozan-dark-horse-mvp-case

skin27
11-01-2018, 11:24 PM
Yup..hope more close game wins so that pop can’t damage demar’s numbers..

John B
Agree. And beating Kawhitter on it would be sweeeeeet

marinoman
If patty Mills continues to be on this team forget mvp, DeRozan will be put on suicide watch due to patty’s mean girls behavior, he knew what he was doing smh

JeffDuncan
11-01-2018, 11:26 PM
Yay, more good publicity.

So nice, after that mess last season.

John B
11-01-2018, 11:28 PM
Better chance than getting All-NBA 1st team? Curry, Demar, Kawhi, Durant, Davis

JeffDuncan
11-01-2018, 11:28 PM
If patty Mills continues to be on this team forget mvp, DeRozan will be put on suicide watch due to patty’s mean girls behavior, he knew what he was doing smh

No, that just shows Patty's level of court awareness.

Spurs Homer
11-01-2018, 11:32 PM
Whoa!

Hey, take two steps back;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKO9pf6pxV4

skin27
11-01-2018, 11:58 PM
Better chance than getting All-NBA 1st team? Curry, Demar, Kawhi, Durant, Davis

Giannis though.. especially if the bucks continues to win games

cjw
11-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Giannis though.. especially if the bucks continues to win games

And that guy who plays in LA if they win more than 40 games.

But among guards? I can see Demar as first or second team. Second more likely

james evans
11-02-2018, 12:55 AM
And that guy who plays in LA if they win more than 40 games.

But among guards? I can see Demar as first or second team. Second more likely
If Lebron makes 1st team this year it’s some bs going on

cd021
11-02-2018, 06:48 AM
Pump the brakes on MVP for a second: does DDR make the all-star team this year in the West? What about LMA?

spursparker9
11-02-2018, 07:29 AM
Pump the brakes on MVP for a second: does DDR make the all-star team this year in the West? What about LMA?

Spurs is not good enough to send 2 all-star.

DDR will be the only guy to represent Spurs

cd021
11-02-2018, 08:31 AM
Spurs is not good enough to send 2 all-star.

DDR will be the only guy to represent Spurs

Actually looked at last year's roster. Butler is unlikely to make it because he may be moved to a team in the East or to Houston with CP3 and Harden and may sit out until he is traded. Cousins definitely won't for obvious reasons.

Best guess:

Starters: Curry, Harden, LeBron, KD, AD

Bench: Westbrook, Thompson, Green, LMA, Golbert, DeRozen, and Lillard

On the fringe: George, KAT.

It's probably easier for Aldridge to make it this year than in years past. His main competition may end up being Towns but that decision would be up to the coaches. DDRs numbers may end up being too good to keep him off too.

Mirrornick
11-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Didn't Lillard get snubbed that one season when he was averaging 27/5/5. That was brutal, even nba players spoke about that ridiculous snub

skin27
11-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Actually looked at last year's roster. Butler is unlikely to make it because he may be moved to a team in the East or to Houston with CP3 and Harden and may sit out until he is traded. Cousins definitely won't for obvious reasons.

Best guess:

It's probably easier for Aldridge to make it this year than in years past. His main competition may end up being Towns but that decision would be up to the coaches. DDRs numbers may end up being too good to keep him off too.

The question is can Demar maintain his stats 28/6/7 until February..

Mirrornick
11-02-2018, 08:51 AM
The question is can Demar maintain his stats 28/6/7 until February..

My pre season prediction was 28/5/5. I am still leaning towards that.

DeJordan

Dex
11-02-2018, 08:56 AM

West is probably too loaded with big names for Derozan to start...we all know that Curry and Durant are going to get the Warriors bandwagon vote, Harden is going to get the China vote (provided he gets and stays healthy), and James is going to get the "I'm Lebron" vote. Demar may get a boost from his old Canadian brethren, but still gonna be hard to beat out those guys.

That means that it's likely going to be a race for one spot between Demar, Westbrook, Lillard, McCollum, Thompson, Butler, George....the list goes on and on.

That said, he will surely be a coaches pick if he keeps playing the way he is and the Spurs continue to win games.

LMA, on the other hand, is really going to have to pick it up if he wants his 3rd consecutive selection. He's not quite playing up to the monster year he had last year (which is no surprise with Demar taking the #1 role on offense), and I feel like a big reason he was picked last year was the Spurs were winning games and they had to reward somebody. Aldridge doesn't get that luxury if Demar gets that nod.

skin27
11-02-2018, 08:58 AM
My pre season prediction was 28/5/5. I am still leaning towards that.

DeJordan

Those are not mvp numbers in today’s nba...tbh..

Mirrornick
11-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Those are not mvp numbers in today’s nba...tbh..

If Spurs finish 3rd seed, he will definitely be in the conversation for top 3. Just because of the impact and him carrying the team will help his case.

BillMc
11-02-2018, 09:34 AM

Best guess:

Agree with this but isn't KAT having an awful year because he's supposedly messed up in the head because of the Butler situation?

Anyway, Spurs probably won't be good enough for 2 all stars. Guard is hard though, and Chris Paul basically has to be pushed out for DeMar to get in. But it should happen if Houston underachieves.

cd021
11-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Agree with this but isn't KAT having an awful year because he's supposedly messed up in the head because of the Butler situation?

Anyway, Spurs probably won't be good enough for 2 all stars. Guard is hard though, and Chris Paul basically has to be pushed out for DeMar to get in. But it should happen if Houston underachieves.

19ppg, 10 RPG, 2.5 bpg, on 48% FG

Aldridge may end up having better numbers on a better team but KAT could be the best player on a decent teams post Butler trade.

CP3 didn't make it last year IIRC and If DeRozen is anywhere near 27/7.5/and 5 then it would be hard to imagine him being snubbed for Paul

hater
11-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Doubtful

I dont think spurs will finish top 10 record in the league

DeSystem is easily already 6th best Spur of all time. Its a long season hopefully health will be good and he will be all nba no doubt and we should make playoffs and make it a nice 1st round. If all holds. Big if

cd021
11-02-2018, 09:49 AM
West is probably too loaded with big names for Derozan to start...we all know that Curry and Durant are going to get the Warriors bandwagon vote, Harden is going to get the China vote (provided he gets and stays healthy), and James is going to get the "I'm Lebron" vote. Demar may get a boost from his old Canadian brethren, but still gonna be hard to beat out those guys.

That means that it's likely going to be a race for one spot between Demar, Westbrook, Lillard, McCollum, Thompson, Butler, George....the list goes on and on.

That said, he will surely be a coaches pick if he keeps playing the way he is and the Spurs continue to win games.

LMA, on the other hand, is really going to have to pick it up if he wants his 3rd consecutive selection. He's not quite playing up to the monster year he had last year (which is no surprise with Demar taking the #1 role on offense), and I feel like a big reason he was picked last year was the Spurs were winning games and they had to reward somebody. Aldridge doesn't get that luxury if Demar gets that nod.

My all-star roster that I came up with was:

On the fringe: George, KAT

I think Aldridge really only needs to beat out KAT for one of the backup big spots while DDR would have to beat out PG and which shouldn't be a incredibly hard

skin27
11-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Y

Last year? Winning games? To be honest Last year’s spurs were losing games, not dominant at home and failed to get 50 wins for the first time since 1998(minus the 99 lockout season)..

the reason why aldridge got selected is because of his stats and individual performance..

John B
11-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Jokic though

skin27
11-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Jokic though

More deserving than towns..tbh

exstatic
11-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Fan vote is only one leg of the tripod to select the 10 "starters". The media and the players are also involved in that selection. This was done to minimize any vote stuffing, like China or that year that Zaza was almost voted a starter.

Dex
11-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Fan vote is only one leg of the tripod to select the 10 "starters". The media and the players are also involved in that selection. This was done to minimize any vote stuffing, like China or that year that Zaza was almost voted a starter.

I'm really glad they split up the vote...prevents stupid picks like Zaza (who you mentioned) or Kobe that year he hardly played.

Still think those 4 are a lock, though. Even outside the fan vote, they will all put up big stats and leading their respective teams. The only real questionable one is Harden, depending upon how much time he misses with his hamstring injury (which have a tendency to linger). That could swing the media and player vote.

Kobe'sAchilles
11-02-2018, 12:01 PM
The biggest question is how Draymond makes it over actual All stars like Lillard. DeRozan will make the team easily and unless Houston turns this around really quickly, he will make All NBA 1st team over Harden. LMA is more of the wild card. Idk what happened to his jumper but it has fallen off a cliff

bklynspursfan
11-02-2018, 12:47 PM

BillMc
11-02-2018, 12:51 PM

Man that's cool. But Jabari is reporting it which means likely DeMar was first off the court and missed all his 3s. Guy's usually wrong :lol

Mirrornick
11-02-2018, 12:54 PM
We Talking about DePractice

bklynspursfan
11-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Man that's cool. But Jabari is reporting it which means likely DeMar was first off the court and missed all his 3s. Guy's usually wrong :lol

:lol exactly

Phenomanul
11-02-2018, 02:11 PM

Of course they changed it the year than Manu happened to end up with the 2nd highest vote count for two guards. Otherwise he would've been given an all-star nod.

TBH Manu should've been a perennial all-star from 2005-2011 (but the voting system kept him out).

John B
11-02-2018, 02:15 PM
He starts nailing those 3’s. He’d be DeMamba, impossible to depend. It will open up LMA more.

DAF86
11-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Somebody hide this article from LaMarcus, tbh.

Immortal Spur
11-02-2018, 02:39 PM
DeCulture

John B
11-02-2018, 02:55 PM
he sinks 3’s, Murray can be inserted to PG when he gets back. Then Spurs get a solid 3nD to slow down a Durant and we’re back up there. Forbes go back to 2nd unit with White. Spurs churning and pounding that rock!

John B
11-02-2018, 02:56 PM
DeMVP

StinkyWeezleteats
11-02-2018, 02:56 PM

I was just about to post that :lol

RC_Drunkford
11-02-2018, 03:39 PM
If DeRozan can hit 3s above 35% and be a good defender...he'd be a damn monster.

As far as the All-Star game goes: I thought it would be team LeBron vs. Team Kawhi :spin

TD 21
11-02-2018, 03:59 PM

Best guess:

This is mostly correct, except Jokic should be bench and Aldridge and Paul on the fringe.

Even if Aldridge gets back to 85-90% of last season, this team won't be good enough to get 2 and DeRozan has the motivation that Aldridge had last season, plus the narrative going for him.

Also keep in mind, if Jokic, Green, Davis or Gobert is injured, the spot goes to whoever has the next most votes, which will probably be Paul or George.

As ever, Thompson doesn't deserve it, but will inevitably make it it because he's a Warrior (funny how that never applied to Ginobili and Parker simultaneously making it).

Uriel
11-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Just wait until Aldridge gets jealous of all the attention DeRozan is getting and demands a trade to Phoenix :lol

ThaBigFundamental21
11-02-2018, 10:49 PM
No, that just shows Patty's level of court awareness.

Indeed.

YGWHI
11-03-2018, 12:00 AM
Just wait until Aldridge gets jealous of all the attention DeRozan is getting and demands a trade to Phoenix :lol

At least Phoenix still has the hot SunsDancers and the Gorilla. Not bad at all. :lol

BillMc
11-03-2018, 01:06 AM
At least Phoenix still has the hot SunsDancers and the Gorilla. Not bad at all. :lol

Three Suns Dancers and their #1 pick for LMA and its a deal. That pick will be high and we can watch the dancers until then. :smokin

YGWHI
11-03-2018, 01:09 AM
Three Suns Dancers and their #1 pick for LMA and its a deal. That pick will be high and we can watch the dancers until then. :smokin

:lol :tu

spurs10
11-03-2018, 01:10 AM
Yeah Jabari doesn't exactly strike a note of confidence in me!! I guess he couldn't get a visa in Canada!?

BillMc
11-03-2018, 01:32 AM
Yeah Jabari doesn't exactly strike a note of confidence in me!! I guess he couldn't get a visa in Canada!?

Probably went to the wrong country knowing Jabari. :spin

JakeCuenca
11-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Hes not even top 10 in most list.

NBA.com has him 20 or something

:lmao

spurs10
11-03-2018, 03:07 AM
Probably went to the wrong country knowing Jabari. :spin Hope it wasn't Latvia!!

BillMc
11-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Hope it wasn't Latvia!!

:lol

BillMc
11-03-2018, 07:49 AM
:lol :tu
:bobo

sananspursfan21
11-03-2018, 08:12 AM

Gonna need a larger sample size for this theory

cd021
11-04-2018, 02:24 AM
This is mostly correct, except Jokic should be bench and Aldridge and Paul on the fringe.

Even if Aldridge gets back to 85-90% of last season, this team won't be good enough to get 2 and DeRozan has the motivation that Aldridge had last season, plus the narrative going for him.

Also keep in mind, if Jokic, Green, Davis or Gobert is injured, the spot goes to whoever has the next most votes, which will probably be Paul or George.

As ever, Thompson doesn't deserve it, but will inevitably make it it because he's a Warrior (funny how that never applied to Ginobili and Parker simultaneously making it).

Forgot about Jokic; which would definitely make it harder for Aldridge to make it, considering that he would have to beat out Green, Golbert, Towns and Jokic for one of the three bench front court spots. There is also the added fact that every all star game since at least 1998 has at least two new all-stars. He may lose out to Golbert and Jokic, especially if Utah and Denver are solidly in the playoff picture.

I do however tend to think that "the whole team isn't good enough to have to all-stars," line of thinking is a bit overstated.

Spurs in 16-17 and the Rockets last season were well on their way to winning 60+ games but both teams only had 1 all-star. Sometimes really good teams get 4, other times its 1, or maybe two (think 05-06 and 15-16 Spurs)

TD 21
11-04-2018, 05:45 PM
Forgot about Jokic; which would definitely make it harder for Aldridge to make it, considering that he would have to beat out Green, Golbert, Towns and Jokic for one of the three bench front court spots. There is also the added fact that every all star game since at least 1998 has at least two new all-stars. He may lose out to Golbert and Jokic, especially if Utah and Denver are solidly in the playoff picture.

I do however tend to think that "the whole team isn't good enough to have to all-stars," line of thinking is a bit overstated.

Spurs in 16-17 and the Rockets last season were well on their way to winning 60+ games but both teams only had 1 all-star. Sometimes really good teams get 4, other times its 1, or maybe two (think 05-06 and 15-16 Spurs)

You're right, 2 can make it from a non elite team (Butler and Towns just did last season), but the margin for error is slim to none at that point.