PDA

View Full Version : What happens when White and Walker come back?

TimmyBuckets
11-02-2018, 12:04 AM
What happens to Bryn's production and Demar's playmaking when White comes back? White needs to get acclimated obv, but it would be interesting to see if Forbes' will remain in the starting lineup while White takes the bench to give them a good PG or vice-versa. IDK if Walker will get regular season playing time other than garbage minutes, but considering his athleticism, high draft, and our lack of D, he might possibly maybe get halfway decent minutes. If he gets some OK minutes, where will Walker fit in? Cunningham, as shitty as he is, has been fairly positive on D so far and Marco, even though is cold, still creates space and makes fantastic cuts. Mills is trash, but still very knowledgable and at least somewhat pesky (meh idk what else to say tbh lol). Is there a universe in which he starts over Marco or Dante at times?

skin27
11-02-2018, 12:20 AM
What happens to Bryn's production and Demar's playmaking when White comes back? White needs to get acclimated obv, but it would be interesting to see if Forbes' will remain in the starting lineup while White takes the bench to give them a good PG or vice-versa. IDK if Walker will get regular season playing time other than garbage minutes, but considering his athleticism, high draft, and our lack of D, he might possibly maybe get halfway decent minutes. If he gets some OK minutes, where will Walker fit in? Cunningham, as shitty as he is, has been fairly positive on D so far and Marco, even though is cold, still creates space and makes fantastic cuts. Mills is trash, but still very knowledgable and at least somewhat pesky (meh idk what else to say tbh lol). Is there a universe in which he starts over Marco or Dante at times?

demar will lose his MVP chances if that white get some of his minutes..

sasaint
11-02-2018, 12:41 AM
Unless Bryn falls off a cliff or White immediately becomes the second coming of Jerry West, Forbes will continue to start and White will get a slow return to action. After a few weeks/couple of months Pop will be able to properly assess who works better with the starting unit/second unit and so forth. I think the real question is how much playing time will Patty relinquish?

SpursRussia
11-02-2018, 01:25 AM
Hopefully 50 mills fat ass gets stuck to the end of the bench and the young guns get his minutes. I don’t care how awful they are, can’t be worse that paddy

RGMCSE
11-02-2018, 01:48 AM
What happens when they come back? Finals baby!

gospursgojas
11-02-2018, 01:56 AM
Idk. Can James White still dunk?

Samaki seems real old and been outta league for ages.

Odd question, OP.

duncan2k5
11-02-2018, 06:20 AM
why in the world would white come off the bench for forbes??? white has a MUCH higher ceiling and better defense...he s better than bryn in almost every aspect of the game...so we are gonna stunt our promising players growth because bryn had a good game? gtfoh...

offset formation
11-02-2018, 06:25 AM
why in the world would white come off the bench for forbes??? white has a MUCH higher ceiling and better defense...he s better than bryn in almost every aspect of the game...so we are gonna stunt our promising players growth because bryn had a good game? gtfoh...

Good game?

He's been leaps and bounds better this year. He's even getting some praise from NBA folks outside the organization as the next Pop "find."

Pathetic take.

Mr. Body
11-02-2018, 06:31 AM
One's a rookie, the other a second year. They'll bolster a bad bench and slowly learn the system and how to play in the league while Forbes remains the starter.

cd021
11-02-2018, 06:42 AM
I could actually see Forbes staying a starter while White also gets inserted into the starting lineup as well.

Starting lineup- Forbes, White, DDR, Gay, Aldridge

Bench Unit- Mills, Belinelli, Cunningham, Bertans, Gasol

cd021
11-02-2018, 06:44 AM
Unless Bryn falls off a cliff or White immediately becomes the second coming of Jerry West, Forbes will continue to start and White will get a slow return to action. After a few weeks/couple of months Pop will be able to properly assess who works better with the starting unit/second unit and so forth. I think the real question is how much playing time will Patty relinquish?

:tu

r0drig0lac
11-02-2018, 06:59 AM
Lonnie is the best player among them, so I hope he gets every possible minute

HankChinaski
11-02-2018, 07:27 AM
G-League to assess an slowly bring back Walker to big leagues then practices with the SA Spurs to see how well he has been picking up the schemes an his overall chemistry with the second unit.

White will get a slow burn when he comes back as I see the spurs being cautious about reaggravating his injury an to get him back to nba speed then at the same time watching him with the starting unit an second unit an determine the best rotations.

If white just is showing a net negative probably gets time in the G-League to further his development

NameLess Scrub
11-02-2018, 07:29 AM
Nothing happens. They're both G league players.

RC_Drunkford
11-02-2018, 07:35 AM
Lonnie is the best player among them, so I hope he gets every possible minute

:pop: he will get a lot of minutes....in Austin

sananspursfan21
11-02-2018, 07:49 AM
The rich get richer man! Whatchu worryin’ fa?

sananspursfan21
11-02-2018, 07:50 AM
I could actually see Forbes staying a starter while White also gets inserted into the starting lineup as well.

Before the start of the season, I’d of puked at the thought of that starting lineup. But now, it kinda has a ring to it

Fireball
11-02-2018, 07:53 AM
I really think Walker had the chance to get significant minutes as a rookie but his injury killed my hopes ... Austin it is for him

sasaint
11-02-2018, 08:00 AM

An eventual possibility. It probably would not last long - from ASG to season’s end. Murray will be back next season.

Dejounte
11-02-2018, 08:18 AM
The team and Pop have been saying in interviews that Forbes is not a point guard. He will slide back into the bench as a 6th man guard.

DaBears
11-02-2018, 08:37 AM

Derrick whites i would think eat into both Forbes & Patty Mills minutes Forbes is no point guard and is not a great ball handler when asked to bring the ball up the floor he struggles a bit and his over the head lob passes into the post a 'hold ur breath' kind of thing. Bryan is a Shooter @ 2 guard, that where he excels.. White is a rookie only expect him to get garbage time minutes for most of the season when he comes back. And then in Yr 2 expect him to make a much bigger role on the team.

sasaint
11-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Derrick whites i would think eat into both Forbes & Patty Mills minutes Forbes is no point guard and is not a great ball handler when asked to bring the ball up the floor he struggles a bit and his over the head lob passes into the post a 'hold ur breath' kind of thing. Bryan is a Shooter @ 2 guard, that where he excels.. White is a rookie only expect him to get garbage time minutes for most of the season when he comes back. And then in Yr 2 expect him to make a much bigger role on the team.

White is not a rookie. He only seems like one because Pop kept him in Austin last season and gave him the least burn in SA of any recent rookie.

Hopefully he takes a few of DeMar’s minutes, too. I fear we are riding him too hard to keep up a whole season.

skin27
11-02-2018, 08:47 AM
White is not a rookie. He only seems like one because Pop kept him in Austin last season and gave him the least burn in SA of any recent rookie.

Hopefully he takes a few of DeMar’s minutes, too. I fear we are riding him too hard to keep up a whole season.

maybe 36 minutes per game for demar is good..

sasaint
11-02-2018, 08:50 AM
maybe 36 minutes per game for demar is good..

If we had other horses, I would like it down around 33. But this injury-riddled season you are probably right about his optimal target.

TheGreatYacht
11-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Under a good coach that would leave Fatty Mills on the bench permanently.

DaBears
11-02-2018, 08:52 AM
You will never hear a ball player saying i am playin to many minutes, Thats something a person from the outside says as a casual fan.. They have no choice but to play extra minutes due to injuries, once 2 of our players comes back off IR there minutes will go down.. I am sure this is part of the plan to a degree to get them acclimated into the "SYSTEM' as fast as possible and hit the ground running as we have a young team and will need to relay on the veterans a bit more than normally. I would say look for DMAR & LMA to average about 32-35 MPG for the season.. With the old guys out of the league now i believe Pop will change his thought process on how minutes are handled.. This team is not that great lets be fair, so they will rely heavily on there 2 stars to give the SPURS a chance most nights.

cd021
11-02-2018, 09:21 AM
An eventual possibility. It probably would not last long - from ASG to season’s end. Murray will be back next season.

The Forbes, White, DDR, Gay, LMA lineup I mentioned was for this season only

sasaint
11-02-2018, 09:24 AM
The Forbes, White, DDR, Gay, LMA lineup I mentioned was for this season only

Hopefully White comes back 100%, and we see a lot of that lineup. I think it would be a very good lineup - especially in the context of the current season. :tu

cd021
11-02-2018, 09:25 AM
The team and Pop have been saying in interviews that Forbes is not a point guard. He will slide back into the bench as a 6th man guard.

Doubtful Pop makes Mills, Forbes. Belinelli, Bertans and Gasol the bench unit. That lineup has shooting for days but that is a horrific defensive unit.

White likely comes off the bench alongside Mills while Forbes continues to start

BackHome
11-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Walker will get heavy dose of G League but I do t see him playing until December with his injury history they will take it slow.

White should start when ever Deroz is not playing as he has good handles and a good passer. I don’t see him taking Forbes minutes more of Mills perhaps but think he should start PG with second unit.

Dverde
11-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Spurs got White/Walker coming back in the Winter.

https://amp.thisisinsider.com/images/599a371221c3fc23008b4a41-750-563.png

hater
11-02-2018, 09:46 AM
We go undefeated

skin27
11-02-2018, 09:52 AM
If we had other horses, I would like it down around 33. But this injury-riddled season you are probably right about his optimal target.

even if we have a complete roster demar should play atleast 35mpg because his only 29 and he is in his prime..heck, a 33 year old lebron had 37mpg last season..

Immortal Spur
11-02-2018, 10:10 AM

I'd switch Cunningham and Gay cause I feel that'd be the most balanced. But we got to see if White can remain healthy first. Also if you give White the job now and he earns it, it'll be hard to take it away say if Lonnie plays better. I guess it depends on what PATFO's plans are for him. But yeah I think another spacer with the SL would be ideal.

To play devil's advocate tho, White would also help the bench with his playmaking abilities and somewhat good ball handling skills. If you put White in the SL in could interfere with Bryn's development. Bryn has been getting better and better and more confident with each game.

Mills/ White/ Belinelli/ Bertans/ Gasol

That unit desperately needs a playmaker or someone to run the pick and roll. He could develop slowly and comfortably here. Gay would muck things up and Cunningham doesn't add much other than defense and hustle. Also the first unit already is playing good together and have their spots. The bench is more movement based and free flowing. White would fit better there Imo.

sasaint
11-02-2018, 10:40 AM
I'd switch Cunningham and Gay cause I feel that'd be the most balanced. But we got to see if White can remain healthy first. Also if you give White the job now and he earns it, it'll be hard to take it away say if Lonnie plays better. I guess it depends on what PATFO's plans are for him. But yeah I think another spacer with the SL would be ideal.

To play devil's advocate tho, White would also help the bench with his playmaking abilities and somewhat good ball handling skills. If you put White in the SL in could interfere with Bryn's development. Bryn has been getting better and better and more confident with each game.

That unit desperately needs a playmaker or someone to run the pick and roll. He could develop slowly and comfortably here. Gay would muck things up and Cunningham doesn't add much other than defense and hustle. Also the first unit already is playing good together and have their spots. The bench is more movement based and free flowing. White would fit better there Imo.

White would be the only decent defender. Otherwise the unit is porous on D.

cd021
11-02-2018, 10:41 AM

I don't think White would necessarily hurt Forbes in the SL. Both would primarily spot up and cut off ball. Forbes probably wouldn't have as many opportunities to handle the ball while having screens set for him but more spacing means more open looks in theory.

I think Pop would like to bring Gay off the bench to manage his minutes but him starting gives the Spurs am offensive threat at the 4 unlike Cunningham.

Cunningham would backup DeRozen in that scenario, meaning about 10-15 minutes, which is probably ideal for his skill set. He just doesn't do much of anything on offense, so much so, I think he hurts the other starters. Playing a hustle guy off the bench is more pallettable.

I think a bench of Mills, Belinelli, Cunningham, Bertans and Gasol is fine. Gasol has been very good as a centerpiece of that unit. 3 shooters around him with motion offense has worked well, even without a traditional playmaking guard.

White could help there in that capacity but his potential ability to defend guards well would obviously be useful in the starting lineup as well as his shooting

Kobe'sAchilles
11-02-2018, 10:47 AM
What happens is we don't have to use that pathetic defensive pairing of Forbes and Mills anymore. Instead it will be White and Mills and that should help the bench both offensively and defensively.

skin27
11-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Is white good defensively?

Immortal Spur
11-02-2018, 11:05 AM
White would be the only decent defender. Otherwise the unit is porous on D.
Exact same thing if you have Cunningham in there except White can do a whole lot more. Bertans could lose minutes to Dante if he sucks.

Immortal Spur
11-02-2018, 11:13 AM
I don't think White would necessarily hurt Forbes in the SL. Both would primarily spot up and cut off ball. Forbes probably wouldn't have as many opportunities to handle the ball while having screens set for him but more spacing means more open looks in theory.

I think Pop would like to bring Gay off the bench to manage his minutes but him starting gives the Spurs am offensive threat at the 4 unlike Cunningham.

Cunningham would backup DeRozen in that scenario, meaning about 10-15 minutes, which is probably ideal for his skill set. He just doesn't do much of anything on offense, so much so, I think he hurts the other starters. Playing a hustle guy off the bench is more pallettable.

I think a bench of Mills, Belinelli, Cunningham, Bertans and Gasol is fine. Gasol has been very good as a centerpiece of that unit. 3 shooters around him with motion offense has worked well, even without a traditional playmaking guard.

White could help there in that capacity but his potential ability to defend guards well would obviously be useful in the starting lineup as well as his shooting
So for the first part, that's exactly why I think White would hurt Forbes. The starting unit is fine right now. Which leads to the second part. Gay fits in better with the first unit cause he has a similar play style to LMA and DeMar as crazy as that sounds. The movement on the bench is one of it's strengths and probably the only reason it scores. You want to add a playmaker, not an iso player that doesn't cut well. Its like a hitch in the transmission. White would blend in much more because they lack a playmaker or the Manu role. There's some kind of weird balance on the first unit and it's because DD has been so elite at playmaking. Everybody is getting good looks. And then LMA gets his looks or if Rudy gets a mismatch they play off that. Also it helps that they get more minutes since they close together. It's not like the big 3 where they have so much time together. They need all the time they can get next to each other and a traditional style or lineups help in this situation.

ismael-robert
11-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Wait 2-3 weeks n find out

ismael-robert
11-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Cause nobody here has got a clue.blind leading blind

JeffDuncan
11-02-2018, 12:31 PM
... The starting unit is fine right now. ...

That's so reassuring. It proves that mental problems are real, so that continued research, even tho it's expensive, is still a good investment.

Forbes is so bad as the point guard, one is almost tempted to call the fire department, to hose him down before he spreads from his dumpster to the adjacent structure.

Keeping Forbes at the point, after an alternative has become available, might be interpreted as a symptom of dementia. So let's see, what will Pop do.....

DAF86
11-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Starting lineup will remain the same. The bench will be White, Mills, Belli, Bertans, Gasol. Walker will go to Austin.

SnakeBoy
11-02-2018, 01:07 PM
We see less of Forbes, Mills, and Belli on the court at the same time. Nothing but upside there.

spurraider21
11-02-2018, 01:12 PM
lonnie didnt look that good in summer league and i dont recall if he ever played in the preseason. not sure why people think he's going to be handed minutes. white has a much clearer path to minutes

Chinook
11-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Is white good defensively?

Was All Pac 12 D his senior year. I think he'll be okay, but wouldn't be surprised if Bryn were the better defender this year. White was more of a guy who got steals and blocks than a shut-down guy.

Mugen
11-02-2018, 01:27 PM
:lol White hasn't played a single game this regular season yet and he's already a better defender than Forbes...

"B-b-b-but he's always in the right spot" :cry

Dex
11-02-2018, 01:46 PM
lonnie didnt look that good in summer league and i dont recall if he ever played in the preseason. not sure why people think he's going to be handed minutes. white has a much clearer path to minutes

Agreed. Even with Murray down, Walker is still going to be behind Mills/Forbes/White/Derozan/Beli in the rotation. And it looks like Derozan is a lock for big minutes except for blowouts and the occasional rest game.

That means Lonnie is either going to get scarce mop-up minutes in San Antonio, or still spend most of his time in Austin.

Immortal Spur
11-02-2018, 01:52 PM
That's so reassuring. It proves that mental problems are real, so that continued research, even tho it's expensive, is still a good investment.

Forbes is so bad as the point guard, one is almost tempted to call the fire department, to hose him down before he spreads from his dumpster to the adjacent structure.

Keeping Forbes at the point, after an alternative has become available, might be interpreted as a symptom of dementia. So let's see, what will Pop do.....
The level of condescension was so disgusting I'm almost didn't respond, but figured I'd be fair before I put you on the ignore list... he's averaging 13+ a game over several games, just had a 7 assist game cause he bothered to try to facilitate more, and he busts his tail on D. He's becoming a solid player. Probably the best shooter on the team and was expected to be a third stringer at the beginning of the year. He's kind of been somewhat of a revelation in this early part of the year. If your trolling good job but either way most trolls end up on my ignore list anyways...

Immortal Spur
11-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Agreed. Even with Murray down, Walker is still going to be behind Mills/Forbes/White/Derozan/Beli in the rotation. And it looks like Derozan is a lock for big minutes except for blowouts and the occasional rest game.

That means Lonnie is either going to get scarce mop-up minutes in San Antonio, or still spend most of his time in Austin.
Makes sense to essentially sit him for the year rehabbing and learning the system in Austin. His talent is off the charts. Just get him healthy and worked into the system...

John B
11-02-2018, 02:05 PM
Walker will definitely see minutes in Austin. Depends where Spurs is by All-Star. I think he gets reinserted in the line-up. We so much need his defensive hassle in the 2nd unit.

superbigtime
11-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Forbes is doing alrite. Don't mess with what is working.

exstatic
11-02-2018, 02:56 PM
even if we have a complete roster demar should play atleast 35mpg because his only 29 and he is in his prime..heck, a 33 year old lebron had 37mpg last season..

LeBron is juicing with HGH. It started in Miami, and continued ever since. He stopped the summer he came back to Cleveland, and his loss of body mass was shocking. The NBA was going to institute some new testing methods. If you remember, he took two weeks off for 'rest' that winter, and went back down to Miami.

TD 21
11-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Forbes starting over White will probably become a fluid situation. If Forbes and the team are going relatively well when White returns, then there's no need to make an immediate change.

Walker might and should be in competition with Bertans/Cunningham for minutes. As has been discussed ad nauseam, he's the only hope for a 3 and D wing on the roster. No reason to not throw in the deep end (start) immediately and find out if he can swim.

If so, it'll pave the way for Gay to exclusively defend PF's and allow for the limited Cunningham to come off the bench and compete with Bertans for the backup minutes.

ceperez
11-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Let's not inflate our expectations with White. Preseason, everyone was wondering if this "rookie" is NBA ready. Now everyone is think he's going to save the Spur's season when he's back.

He's an extra body that will fill some defensive weakness in the wing. But that's about it. It'll take him a while from injury to become effective.

Immortal Spur
11-02-2018, 04:44 PM
Forbes starting over White will probably become a fluid situation. If Forbes and the team are going relatively well when White returns, then there's no need to make an immediate change.

Walker might and should be in competition with Bertans/Cunningham for minutes. As has been discussed ad nauseam, he's the only hope for a 3 and D wing on the roster. No reason to not throw in the deep end (start) immediately and find out if he can swim.

If so, it'll pave the way for Gay to exclusively defend PF's and allow for the limited Cunningham to come off the bench and compete with Bertans for the backup minutes.
When your not on your gutless worms schtick, you are a really good read...

Chinook
11-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Let's not inflate our expectations with White. Preseason, everyone was wondering if this "rookie" is NBA ready. Now everyone is think he's going to save the Spur's season when he's back.

He's an extra body that will fill some defensive weakness in the wing. But that's about it. It'll take him a while from injury to become effective.

People don't seem ready to admit that White shouldn't be expected to be consistent in his first season of playing time. He has skills, athleticism and decent size, but he's going to have a number of bad games. Forbes has been insanely steady this year. White could potentially do better, but he could do a lot worse. No reason to start him right now. Bryn's actually playing decently with guys and is up to a positive on/off now that he and Mills don't play together very much. He's going to have his hands full tomorrow, but if he can navigate Holliday well and give the stars a chance to decide the game, that's all you can ask.

sasaint
11-02-2018, 06:10 PM
People don't seem ready to admit that White shouldn't be expected to be consistent in his first season of playing time. He has skills, athleticism and decent size, but he's going to have a number of bad games. Forbes has been insanely steady this year. White could potentially do better, but he could do a lot worse. No reason to start him right now. Bryn's actually playing decently with guys and is up to a positive on/off now that he and Mills don't play together very much. He's going to have his hands full tomorrow, but if he can navigate Holliday well and give the stars a chance to decide the game, that's all you can ask.

I have really enjoyed his developing into a reliable rotation piece and improving his D - all while playing out of position.

JeffDuncan
11-02-2018, 06:44 PM
... If your trolling good job but either way most trolls end up on my ignore list anyways...

I never put irrational people on my ignore list, because I find them amusing.

Anybody who thinks Forbes is anywhere close to being an adequate point guard is just somebody who has no ability to assess NBA bball.

Forbes is bad at the point. He is just plain bad at it. All the praise of him sounds like people trying to console a loser.

He needs to be replaced as the starter ASAP.

r0drig0lac
11-02-2018, 06:50 PM
I never put irrational people on my ignore list, because I find them amusing.

Anybody who thinks Forbes is anywhere close to being an adequate point guard is just somebody who has no ability to assess NBA bball.

Forbes is bad at the point. He is just plain bad at it. All the praise of him sounds like people trying to console a loser.

He needs to be replaced as the starter ASAP.

I kind of agree with that, if Forbes is a starter, it's a sign that his team does not have a very high ceiling, or competitive against good teams, we'll see.

SouthTexasRancher
11-03-2018, 05:25 AM

I am going with sasaint on this.

duncan2k5
11-03-2018, 06:50 AM
Good game?

He's been leaps and bounds better this year. He's even getting some praise from NBA folks outside the organization as the next Pop "find."

Pathetic take.

So now Forbes has a higher ceiling than white?? Based on WHAT??!

duncan2k5
11-03-2018, 07:00 AM

The only reason we know Forbes has been steady is because he IS PLAYING!!! before that he gave NO indication he was even as good as white... So why keep the guy who clearly has a higher ceiling on the bench because Forbes has been ok? Forbes at his ceiling won't take us anywhere but out of the first round.. white has all-star potential

duncan2k5
11-03-2018, 07:01 AM
How far have we fallen that Forbes is being considered as a long term starter

offset formation
11-03-2018, 07:09 AM
So now Forbes has a higher ceiling than white?? Based on WHAT??!

I didn't say that. Re-read.

I'm merely pointing out that his performance thus far has been better than most anyone on this board expected and goes beyond a single game.

And familiarize yourself with what a Pop "find" is. It's not a first round pick like White. It's the second rounders, or undrafted guys that somehow manage to be important cogs, even starters. And lol, White is the guy I'm highest on among the young guys.

You would know these things if your head hadn't been surgically transferred to the anal cavity of Kawhitter.

MaNu4Tres
11-03-2018, 07:37 AM

This.

Chinook
11-03-2018, 07:47 AM
The only reason we know Forbes has been steady is because he IS PLAYING!!! before that he gave NO indication he was even as good as white... So why keep the guy who clearly has a higher ceiling on the bench because Forbes has been ok? Forbes at his ceiling won't take us anywhere but out of the first round.. white has all-star potential

White has All-Star potential in a way that anyone who doesn't show that much ceiling but theoretically still has time for unreal gains does. Meaning that I don't think it's reasonable to argue he has that kind of ceiling, but it's technically not impossible, so whatever. You don't start guys to "find out what ceiling they have". You give them playing time, sure. But the Spurs are in the business of winning games right now. They aren't looking for boom-or-bust moves. White coming in and showing he's a steady player is a requirement to showing he's a steady starter. Forbes has been a steady player this year. Consistency is underrated. When the alternative is White still getting playing time, any perceived difference in upside isn't enough to warrant a change in the starting back court.

RC_Drunkford
11-03-2018, 08:46 AM
White has All-Star potential in a way that anyone who doesn't show that much ceiling but theoretically still has time for unreal gains does. Meaning that I don't think it's reasonable to argue he has that kind of ceiling, but it's technically not impossible, so whatever. You don't start guys to "find out what ceiling they have". You give them playing time, sure. But the Spurs are in the business of winning games right now. They aren't looking for boom-or-bust moves. White coming in and showing he's a steady player is a requirement to showing he's a steady starter. Forbes has been a steady player this year. Consistency is underrated. When the alternative is White still getting playing time, any perceived difference in upside isn't enough to warrant a change in the starting back court.

White doesn't have All-Star potential. I think his ceiling is a 15pts 5 assists per game guy with Danny Green like defense. And that would make him the 2nd best guard on this roster

pad300
11-03-2018, 09:34 AM
White doesn't have All-Star potential. I think his ceiling is a 15pts 5 assists per game guy with Danny Green like defense. And that would make him the 2nd best guard on this roster

15 and 5 with Danny Green D is an all-star (at least in terms of on court value)...

I agree with various people that Forbes has been a good enough player and fit (only though 7 games mind), that White will have to take the starting spot from him, if he does. Pop will start White from the bench; if the fit is good (and Forbes keeps up his play), he may stay there for a while - Pop likes a strong bench unit.

In the longer term, White has a higher ceiling than Forbes. Forbes is neither big nor athletic for the one (never mind the two); White is a pretty big one (could be a two), and is a nba level athlete, not to mention is a better defender, ball-handler, and IMO passer.
But which (if either) reaches their ceiling? We don't know yet... we will see. The guard who we should get rid of, if possible, is Mills.

hombre
11-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Winter is coming, White Walker.

JeffDuncan
11-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Winter is coming, White Walker.

Indeed. I've also heard rumors of a break in the Wall, and wasn't there a Dragan sighting recently? Perilous times.

Seventyniner
11-03-2018, 12:42 PM
The real answer to the thread title's question: :lobt:

Fusternino
11-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Like, I've trade Forbes and both picks to a GM for the highest pick possible. Clears out the guard rotation next summer.

phxspurfan
11-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Indeed. I've also heard rumors of a break in the Wall, and wasn't there a Dragan sighting recently? Perilous times.

<- Maybe the (John) Starks will come back

*sees himself out of the room*

RGMCSE
11-03-2018, 05:17 PM

Dudes a scrub ass chucker that cant shoot. He's super athletic but doesn't use it to penetrate and kill in the paint.He might carve out a 10 year career just based off of athleticism alone. But don't expect him to turn out to be some gem of a player. People over rate him because he was a top 20 pick.

duncan2k5
11-03-2018, 05:28 PM

Fam.... U don't know what all star potential is? Forbes can't do anything except shoot... And is horrible at everything else... White is decent at everything with room to grow... We can't win anything with Forbes as our starter... We NEVER will... So what's the point of starting him and stunting the growth of a more promising player in white? That's why pop started Parker... Even though we wouldn't have won that year, it accelerated parkers growth to allow us to win sooner than we would have if he was stashed away on the bench for below average starters... Forbes is a below average starter... He wouldn't even start for the suns, who is the worst team in the league... And we wanna win rings with him? GTFOH

Chinook
11-03-2018, 05:31 PM
Fam.... U don't know what all star potential is? Forbes can't do anything except shoot... And is horrible at everything else... White is decent at everything with room to grow... We can't win anything with Forbes as our starter... We NEVER will... So what's the point of starting him and stunting the growth of a more promising player in white? That's why pop started Parker... Even though we wouldn't have won that year, it accelerated parkers growth to allow us to win sooner than we would have if he was stashed away on the bench for below average starters... Forbes is a below average starter... He wouldn't even start for the suns, who is the worst team in the league... And we wanna win rings with him? GTFOH

Parker was better than what the Spurs had. White might be better than Forbes, but he might not. Be. I know what "All-Star potential" is. I don't think White has it, but I am not dismissing the possibility that he becomes unrealistically better than he can be expected to be.