PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound Bus of Dante Cunningham

phxspurfan
11-03-2018, 09:30 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/X7yqMYN2/small-animated-siren.gif https://i.postimg.cc/X7yqMYN2/small-animated-siren.gif

Our next Centerpiece / 3-D / poor man's Kawhi Leonard is here! The future finals MVP is here!

https://i.postimg.cc/X7yqMYN2/small-animated-siren.gif https://i.postimg.cc/X7yqMYN2/small-animated-siren.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/sx3NyX7t/spurs.jpg

Everybody on the bus!!

https://i.postimg.cc/HsQJcLGr/91r-ZBm-43v-L-SX425.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/D01zXxM9/20121024-pjc-af3-689-0.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/vZTsRPvG/download.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/C54g0Xtx/gettyimages-941613958-1024x1024.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/qMMfnmS2/8770549.png

TheGreatYacht
11-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Better than Fathead and cheaper, tbh...

r0drig0lac
11-03-2018, 09:52 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EmbellishedDeafeningAlaskajingle-max-1mb.gif

BatManu20
11-03-2018, 09:55 PM

Tbh.

John B
11-03-2018, 09:56 PM
I’m sold with him on 3nD. We need playmaker and D on 2nd unit.

Spurs fever
11-03-2018, 09:56 PM

BatManu20
11-03-2018, 09:57 PM
He’s played really well the past 2 games, especially tonight. Night and day from his first couple games in Silver & Black. He’s our best wing defender right now and if he starts knocking down his open 3’s with some regularity, he could be huge for us. Still need to see more though tbh. Don’t want to overreact just a couple games.

phxspurfan
11-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Just to be clear, tonight he was 15pts/7reb/2ast/2blk/1stl in 37 mins on 5/8 (63%) FG, 3/5 (60%) 3PT, 2/2 FT.

https://i.postimg.cc/x1mSTXBZ/8R6d.gif

John B
11-03-2018, 09:58 PM
A lot of pleasant surprise this season. Like Xmas morning when you expected people have forgotten about you :lol

marinoman
11-03-2018, 09:59 PM
More games like this please. Didn’t just shoot corner either, solid cuts and 3s from other spots

NASpurs
11-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Sent Poeltl's ass back to the Eastern bloc and the Spurs went on a winning streak when he started. Coincidence? I think not.

phxspurfan
More games like this please. Didn’t just shoot corner either, solid cuts and 3s from other spots

It's clear they're grooming him for more. He's learning at an astronomical pace.

BillMc

can't really argue with that.

weebo
11-03-2018, 10:01 PM

By a mile...

phxspurfan
Sent Poeltl's ass back to the Eastern bloc and the Spurs went on a winning streak when he started. Coincidence? I think not.

That dude needs more development for sure. But he's got size and speed, and is pretty young/raw. He can be somebody in a year or two.

boutons_deux
DC getting accustomed to his place, confident in his contribution

spursparker9
11-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Franciso Elson with an occasional 3 pointers

RC_Drunkford
11-03-2018, 10:16 PM
high Bball IQ player

silverblackfan
11-03-2018, 10:16 PM
I really like what he has shown for the past few games. Great energy and effort with veteran presence.
I want to be on board...but have been burned before...

Mirrornick
11-03-2018, 10:17 PM
The 2009 draft is one of the deepest drafts of all time.

Curry
Harden
Griffin
DeRozan

Jrue
Tyreke
Rubio
Jennings
G Henderson
Hansborough
James Johnson
Ty Lawson
Jeff Teague
Darren collison
Taj Gibson
Demare Carroll

Dante Cunningham
Patty Mills
Marcus Thornton
Pat Beverly
Jodie Meeks
Budinger
Jerebko
Daniel green

holy shit

offset formation
11-03-2018, 10:24 PM

Careful. Someone might think you dropped the troll schtick and gave a passing compliment for PATFO.

Spurs fever
11-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Can he dribble better than Danny Green??

Chinook
11-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Gonna come down to him hitting threes. He sets a very good tone on D, but he's also had the benefit of going against combo-forwards the past few games. Those are the players he athletically matches up against. Not sure how he'll fare on a true three or four. Doncic didn't have a ton of trouble once the Mavs started giving him the ball. Dante can still be a plus on that end if he keeps rebounding and helping out his teammates, but in those cases, him being able to do something on offense becomes more important. The garbage man dunks will be there with effort and chemistry. The threes are a windfall. Can't expect him to shoot 60 percent every game, but something like 35 percent on decent attempts feels necessary.

NOP ran one big who often doesn't play to his size in Davis and two smaller PFs. It was a perfect match-up for Cun. Orlando has Isaac and Gordon, and they are probably guys Cun can guard okay. Then you have Miami, Houston, Sacramento and Phoenix, who all play small. LAC plays small with Gallo and Harris, but they also have three centers who get minutes. It's not until Memphis, two games after that LAC game that the Spurs play a team that unambiguously plays big in Memphis. Then it's another seven games until the Spurs get to Utah, who oscillates between starting Favors and Crowder. They play a two-game series against LAL in betwen Jazz games.

That's all a fancy way of saying that Dante should be able to start against almost every team for the remainder of the first half of this season. Not sold that Cunningham/Gay is a great forward combo, but Pop doesn't seem interested in breaking that up.

marinoman
11-03-2018, 10:38 PM

Curry
Harden
Griffin
DeRozan

Jrue
Tyreke
Rubio
Jennings
G Henderson
Hansborough
James Johnson
Ty Lawson
Jeff Teague
Darren collison
Taj Gibson
Demare Carroll

Dante Cunningham
Patty Mills
Marcus Thornton
Pat Beverly
Jodie Meeks
Budinger
Jerebko
Daniel green

holy shit
Damn that’s good, solid players everywhere... and tyler hansborough

LittleCriminal
11-03-2018, 10:39 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/26ufbhAiPrAlyvY4g/giphy.gif

phxspurfan
11-03-2018, 10:42 PM

Hansborough was the last of the classic college player, before one and dones started ruling the college bball world. Now that that will be over, college bball will go back to these guys and the Tyler Ulises (small guys) and Jalen Brunsons (marginal talents) and the better talents will go G League or pro pretty much right away at 18/19. NCAA will be the land of Tyler Hansboroughs again.

Dverde
11-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Greyhound bus doesn’t seem right, maybe something catchy like Ice Castle...

slick'81
11-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Poor mans bruce bowen in the hoouse!

SpurPadre
11-03-2018, 11:02 PM
Solid pickup. He can do a little bit of everything and can be used prominently in a lot of matchups.

FkLA
11-03-2018, 11:17 PM
Dante "the real Centerpiece" Cunningham, tbh.

Jay.From.NbTx
11-03-2018, 11:18 PM
The bus pic was funny lmao
he look like tech n9ne

Immortal Spur
11-03-2018, 11:26 PM
That's a great point

BWS-1994
11-04-2018, 01:27 AM

Curry
Harden
Griffin
DeRozan

Jrue
Tyreke
Rubio
Jennings
G Henderson
Hansborough
James Johnson
Ty Lawson
Jeff Teague
Darren collison
Taj Gibson
Demare Carroll

Dante Cunningham
Patty Mills
Marcus Thornton
Pat Beverly
Jodie Meeks
Budinger
Jerebko
Daniel green

holy shit

And the Spurs, with only the 37th pick, got Dejuan Blair. Not bad.

Immortal Spur
11-04-2018, 01:29 AM
The centerpiece is only 31. how many years left in his prime do you think he has? could be the next Bowen... the rate he's going he's gonna have jersey retired.

cd021
11-04-2018, 01:47 AM
Liked his cutting and when he's hitting 3's - obviously that helps his value. Must've earned some trust from the coaching staff, played 38 minutes, rare for a player new to the system to get that many minutes this early.

cd021
11-04-2018, 01:53 AM
Can he dribble better than Danny Green??

Competent ball mover but doesn't really dribble much. He's viewed as the least threatening starter so often gets left open, so he either shoots on spot ups or cuts to the rim when his defender isn't looking.

skin27
11-04-2018, 02:06 AM
:lmao@thinking Cunningham is so good based on one game..

i hope he can can maintain it though..especially his defeats and 3pt shooting..

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-04-2018, 04:13 AM

That dude needs more development for sure. But he's got size and speed, and is pretty young/raw. He can be somebody in a year or two.

Dude suffers because of the lack of a true PnR guard. It's his bread and butter offensively and he gets nothing on the Spurs, just a bad fit due to personnel. Spurs are also 29th in transition scoring.

He'd be much better on a team with a PnR PG. I was hoping DDR could be his PnR mate but apparently not yet. Spurs's 2nd and third best APG guys are their centers Aldridge and Gasol, so Poeltl just doesn't fit unfortunately.

JakeCuenca
11-04-2018, 04:43 AM
So Dante Cunningham is the player that gets spursfans excited now?

Wow..how the mughty have fallen.

JPB
11-04-2018, 04:44 AM
Yay, Cunni ain't no pussy.

Pavlov
11-04-2018, 04:56 AM
So Dante Cunningham is the player that gets spursfans excited now?

Wow..how the mughty have fallen.Applesauce still trying hard.

ceperez
11-04-2018, 05:17 AM
Just to be clear, tonight he was 15pts/7reb/2ast/2blk/1stl in 37 mins on 5/8 (63%) FG, 3/5 (60%) 3PT, 2/2 FT.

https://i.postimg.cc/x1mSTXBZ/8R6d.gif

Wow.... what a bargain the Spurs have found!

ceperez
11-04-2018, 05:18 AM
Competent ball mover but doesn't really dribble much. He's viewed as the least threatening starter so often gets left open, so he either shoots on spot ups or cuts to the rim when his defender isn't looking.

Just needs to simplify his game! Previously, he didn't know where to spot up for his shots. He's now getting it!

Metu just needs to mimic what Dante is doing and Spurs will have a very solid front court defensively.

RC_Drunkford
11-04-2018, 05:33 AM
honestly, if the Spurs keep up this defense he will get NBA All-Defensive considerations by the end of the season

cd021
11-04-2018, 05:52 AM
Just needs to simplify his game! Previously, he didn't know where to spot up for his shots. He's now getting it!

Metu just needs to mimic what Dante is doing and Spurs will have a very solid front court defensively.

His value on offense really comes down to hitting open 3's and cutting to the rim when his defender's head is turned.

Defensively, there has been good results; of the 8 players that have played 120 minutes (at least 15 mpg) he's 3rd best with a DRtg of 109 and has +11 Net Rtg.

SouthTexasRancher
11-04-2018, 06:31 AM
He really looked good last night. If he can keep providing the 'D' and can get a steal or two and ditto with the blocks and can make 2-4 shots a night to keep the other team honest then I feel good with him as the starter at the 3. We hae plenty of scoring from the other four starters.

BillMc
11-04-2018, 06:48 AM
More useful than Kawhi last year.

ceperez
11-04-2018, 07:28 AM
His value on offense really comes down to hitting open 3's and cutting to the rim when his defender's head is turned.

Defensively, there has been good results; of the 8 players that have played 120 minutes (at least 15 mpg) he's 3rd best with a DRtg of 109 and has +11 Net Rtg.

Honestly, Spurs can find easily find cheap contracts from free-agency and convert them into useful assets. What the Spurs have not done is sign them long enough so they could get value on a trade. Imagine if Boban, Simmons, Dedmon were tradeable assets? The problem with PATFO is when a players value rises, they just let them walk instead of a trade one year before they walk.

In hindsight though, Spurs should have re-signed Belinelli instead of having him walk. That was a big time mistake that could have cost us 2015 championship.

Mr. Body
11-04-2018, 07:49 AM
honestly, if the Spurs keep up this defense he will get NBA All-Defensive considerations by the end of the season

Whoa, man. We got torched by Donkic earlier this week, who isn't even an elite SF yet.

dbestpro
11-04-2018, 08:17 AM
I like that when he is open he does not hesitate to shoot the three. He really looks like a player built to play in the Spurs system.

K...
11-04-2018, 09:46 AM
And the Spurs, with only the 37th pick, got Dejuan Blair. Not bad.

The 2009 draft was an automatic failure for the following reason: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Ayres 2 31 Jeff Pendergraph PF United States Sacramento Kings (traded to Portland)[D] Arizona State (Sr.)

Scottstarbuck785
11-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Undrafted players
Ingles,Baynes,Matthews,

boutons_deux
11-04-2018, 10:12 AM
SAS is his ninth team, now he's a starter

he shot no 3Gs until 16-17 season

cool head, lotsa hustle, no bonehead errors,

RC_Drunkford
11-04-2018, 10:28 AM
Whoa, man. We got torched by Donkic earlier this week, who isn't even an elite SF yet.

I never said he's an elite defender. But usually the best defender on a team with one of the Top 5 ratings gets all-defensive considerations. Which in this case would be Cunningham unless they want to pick Aldridge

Kobe'sAchilles
11-04-2018, 10:48 AM
If he plays like this against all of his former teams then I will be happy lol.

Dverde
11-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Plus he’s patriotic!
http://playerwags.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dante-Cunningham-Girlfriend-Miryah-Kristina-Rose-pics.jpg

Chinook
11-04-2018, 11:02 AM
One thing Cunningham has been doing well is flashing for a midrange if he thinks his teammates need an outlet. It's not a really efficient shot, but if he's comfortable taking it, then getting him an open look from like 12 feet out seems like a good solution. I don't think the team can rely on him for consistent offense. He'll likely get most of his points on broken plays, and combining that with a couple of things he feels comfortable doing like that little pop can make him workable on that end. As I said before, he wouldn't have a place on better Spurs teams. Folks comparing him to high-level role-players like Bowen don't seem to realize how specialized Spurs role-players tend to be. Cunningham isn't (or at least hasn't been) an elite defender; he's not an elite rebounder or shooter. He's a generalist surviving in a roster of transition. Props to him for providing a needed edge to the team. Still consider a defensive forward a major need, though.

cjw
11-04-2018, 11:12 AM
One thing Cunningham has been doing well is flashing for a midrange if he thinks his teammates need an outlet. It's not a really efficient shot, but if he's comfortable taking it, then getting him an open look from like 12 feet out seems like a good solution. I don't think the team can rely on him for consistent offense. He'll likely get most of his points on broken plays, and combining that with a couple of things he feels comfortable doing like that little pop can make him workable on that end. As I said before, he wouldn't have a place on better Spurs teams. Folks comparing him to high-level role-players like Bowen don't seem to realize how specialized Spurs role-players tend to be. Cunningham isn't (or at least hasn't been) an elite defender; he's not an elite rebounder or shooter. He's a generalist surviving in a roster of transition. Props to him for providing a needed edge to the team. Still consider a defensive forward a major need, though.

It’s all about not being an Andre Roberson where the defense can completely ignore you (or foul you if you get the ball!). Roberson shoots about 25% from both three as well as twos that aren’t at the basket. You can hedge away from that hard. Cunningham is a career 33% three point shooter, which isn’t great but is passable, and 35-40% on longer twos. Cunningham also takes 2x the number of shots per 100 possessions.

Cunningham isn’t the defender Roberson is but he’s not an offensive liability. He understands spacing and isn’t a total negative on that end.

boutons_deux
11-04-2018, 11:15 AM
SAS is his ninth team, now he's a starter

he shot no 3Gs until 16-17 season

cool head, lotsa hustle, no bonehead errors,

superbigtime
11-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Sean and Bill said dude has morphed into a 3 baller last 3 seasons. Love his 3 and D. If he plays like this, we won't be missing Danny at all.

cd021
11-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Honestly, Spurs can find easily find cheap contracts from free-agency and convert them into useful assets. What the Spurs have not done is sign them long enough so they could get value on a trade. Imagine if Boban, Simmons, Dedmon were tradeable assets? The problem with PATFO is when a players value rises, they just let them walk instead of a trade one year before they walk.

In hindsight though, Spurs should have re-signed Belinelli instead of having him walk. That was a big time mistake that could have cost us 2015 championship.

Beli was let to walk to sign LMA. Same with Cojo who also turned into a valuable player, Baynes too but it was after several years that he really became good.

They did have the luck/foresight to get Forbes on a 2 year deal for about $6 million. If he were to win or is serious candidate for most improved then that suddenly become a good asset.

playbonner15
11-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Dante looks like a leaner, D West lol

Mirrornick
11-04-2018, 05:12 PM
Didn't know Cunningham can shoot 3s.

TD 21
11-04-2018, 05:13 PM
I remember a highly intelligent and humble poster pontificating that he'd have a relatively significant role, when others thought he'd either be buried or have to make the team . . .

KDKSpurs24
11-04-2018, 05:16 PM
I know for a fact that I said that he would have a bigger role than everyone expected. It was in the bold predictions thread.

Coach X
11-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Dante and Pop demonstrating that including him in the starting five has been a good decision. Excellent game vs New Orleans, not only guarding, helping and hustling as usual but also hurting the Pelicans defense when his man doubled and hitting his threes.

If he can continue being the 3&D glue forward he's being 'til now, the Spurs can have a very good season.

Chinook
11-04-2018, 06:57 PM
I remember a highly intelligent and humble poster pontificating that he'd have a relatively significant role, when others thought he'd either be buried or have to make the team . . .

Yeah, I was skeptical, but you gotta give RD2191 credit for that call. Dude's the undisputed best poster on this site (or at least 1b with timvp), but somehow still underrated.

tonight...you
11-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I was skeptical, but you gotta give RD2191 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42690) credit for that call. Dude's the undisputed best poster on this site (or at least 1b with timvp), but somehow still underrated.
True... true.
Props.

TD 21
11-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I was skeptical, but you gotta give RD2191 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42690) credit for that call. Dude's the undisputed best poster on this site (or at least 1b with timvp), but somehow still underrated.

No, it was someone who is tall, dark and handsome, not third world ugly.

Chinook
11-04-2018, 07:23 PM
No, it was someone who is tall, dark and handsome, not third world ugly.

Here's Rob, just enjoying an evening at home:

https://cdn.liquor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/14111437/The-Truth-About-the-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World-720x720-article.jpg

Nothing "third-world" about that kind of class.

DAF86
11-04-2018, 07:23 PM

Cunningham was brought as a third string guy though, which it is obvious by the early games rotations. You made it seem like Cunningham was thought by PATFO as a starter all along, which clearly wasn't the case, tbh.

Chinook
11-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Here's Rob, just enjoying an evening at home:

https://cdn.liquor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/14111437/The-Truth-About-the-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World-720x720-article.jpg

Nothing "third-world" about that kind of class.

Sorry, I forgot Rob's not gray anymore:

https://media-assets-04.thedrum.com/cache/images/thedrum-prod/s3-news-tmp-108565-screen_shot_2017-03-23_at_3.33.11_pm--2x1--940.png

TD 21
11-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Cunningham was brought as a third string guy though, which it is obvious by the early games rotations. You made it seem like Cunningham was thought by PATFO as a starter all along, which clearly wasn't the case, tbh.

No, he wasn't. He was always going to play a relatively significant role. He's 1 of 2 players capable of guarding threatening big wings and the other isn't known for his defense or durability at this point.

I'm surprised at how quickly they were willing to altogether bench Poeltl (especially considering the lack of perimeter depth), but my initial reaction to his acquisition was, unless they trade Gasol at some point during, he's going to have to way a year to play the role he should be playing because playing 3 C's in '18 is untenable.

DAF86
11-04-2018, 07:37 PM
No, he wasn't. He was always going to play a relatively significant role.

I'm surprised at how quickly they were willing to altogether bench Poeltl (especially considering the lack of perimeter depth), but my initial reaction to his acquisition was, unless they trade Gasol at some point during, he's going to have to way a year to play the role he should be playing because playing 3 C's in '18 is untenable.

How is that when, even after all the injuries, he wasn't even part of the rotation. With Murray and White healthy he probably wouldn't even be part of the rotation right now.

RD2191
11-04-2018, 07:46 PM
:wakeup

TD 21
11-04-2018, 07:52 PM
How is that when, even after all the injuries, he wasn't even part of the rotation. With Murray and White healthy he probably wouldn't even be part of the rotation right now.

You really think a few games led to such a dramatic shift? They obviously had it in mind in the off season. As someone who's followed the Spurs for some time, you should know that Pop often starts the following season how they generally played the previous one (which is predictably why Gasol started and Forbes got the initial nod over White in the first preseason game).

If Murray and White were healthy, Cunningham/Gay are probably 50/50 to start at PF, with the other backing up and Bertans is probably out of the rotation.

TD 21
11-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Yeah, for 5 minutes. As someone who's followed the Spurs for some time, you should know that Pop often starts the following season how they generally played the previous one (which is predictably why Gasol started and Forbes got the initial nod over White in the first preseason game).

If Murray and White were healthy, Cunningham/Gay are probably 50/50 to start at PF, with the other backing up and Bertans is probably out of the rotation.

DAF86
11-04-2018, 08:00 PM
You really think a few games led to such a dramatic shift? They obviously had it in mind in the off season. As someone who's followed the Spurs for some time, you should know that Pop often starts the following season how they generally played the previous one (which is predictably why Gasol started and Forbes got the initial nod over White in the first preseason game).

Dude, it makes no fucking sense to sign a guy for 7 mils per year and another for 2 mils per year thinking that the 2 mils per year guy will be in the rotation and the 7 mils per year guy won't. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

TD 21
11-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Dude, it makes no fucking sense to sign a guy for 7 mils per year and another for 2 mils per year thinking that the 2 mils per year guy will be in the rotation and the 7 mils per year guy won't. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

Yet it took all of 5 minutes for Cunningham to pass Bertans in the rotation.

The difference was, Bertans was an RFA who was generating interest (namely from the Nets and Jazz), while Cunningham was a minimal journeyman type. In other words, $7M isn't really a reflection of how they view Bertans, but rather the cost of doing business. Based on their actions over 2+ seasons, they're clearly not entirely sold on him, which is probably why his contract went from the initial 4 years that was reported to 2.

DAF86
11-04-2018, 08:05 PM
Yet it took all of 5 minutes for Cunningham to pass Bertans in the rotation.

The difference was, Bertans was an RFA who was generating interest (namely from the Nets and Jazz), while Cunningham was a minimal journeyman type. In other words, $7M isn't really a reflection of how they view Bertans, but rather the cost of doing business. Based on their actions over 2+ seasons, they're clearly not entirely sold on him, which is probably why his contract went from the initial 4 years that was reported to 2.

Whatever rationale you want to use, you don't waste 7 mils of cape space on a player you think will be out of the rotation. Just stop it.

TD 21
11-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Whatever rationale you want to use, you don't waste 7 mils of cape space on a player you think will be out of the rotation. Just stop it.

I knew you were ignorant, but I didn't know you were this stupid.

They clearly preferred Anderson in a vacuum, but Bertans was more needed with this roster and wasn't going to cost as much. They couldn't afford to lose both, so they picked him. $7M was what it took to get him down to 2 years, so that they're not tied up long term. It's still well short of the average salary.

"Out of the rotation" on this team still often means at least 1, 000 minutes and one long term injury to a rotation player away from more.

DAF86
11-04-2018, 08:17 PM
BTW, tonight: 8 minutes 0 pts, 0 assts, 1 rbd, 3 fouls, 0 fg attempts. Cunningham made a difference on the team more for what he represents than what he actually is as a player.

He represents that tall 3 and D player that every contending team should have, he also got into the lineup in place of a traditional center, which allowed the Spurs to play the type of lineup that has proven to be the key to success in today's NBA: just one big and two tall forwards to his sides.

All of these changes helped the team show improvement vs lesser teams but Cunningham as a player is definitely not the long or even mid term solution. The Spurs should be really agressive in finding that 3 and D 6'8", 6'7" guy. If they made an ocean of improvement with Cunningham, imagine how good they could be by having an actual above average NBA player on that role.

TD 21
11-04-2018, 08:19 PM
BTW, tonight: 8 minutes 0 pts, 0 assts, 1 rbd, 3 fouls, 0 fg attempts. Cunningham made a difference on the team more for what he represents than what he actually is as a player.

He represents that tall 3 and D player that every contending team should have, he also got into the lineup in place of a traditional center, which allowed the Spurs to play the type of lineup that has proven to be the key to success in today's NBA: just one big and two tall forwards to his sides.

All of these changes helped the team show improvement vs lesser teams but Cunningham as a player is definitely not the long or even mid term solution. The Spurs should be really agressive in finding that 3 and D 6'8", 6'7" guy. If they made an ocean of improvement with Cunningham, imagine how good they could be by having an actual above average NBA player on that role.

This I can agree with. To be clear, I repeatedly said, in terms of caliber, he's really a fringe rotation type.

DAF86
11-04-2018, 08:23 PM
I knew you were ignorant, but I didn't know you were this stupid.

They clearly preferred Anderson in a vacuum, but Bertans was more needed with this roster and wasn't going to cost as much. They couldn't afford to lose both, so they picked him. $7M was what it took to get him down to 2 years, so that they're not tied up long term. It's still well short of the average salary.

"Out of the rotation" on this team still often means at least 1, 000 minutes and one long term injury to a rotation player away from more.

And even with all of that in mind, you still don't pay a guy 7 mils per year if you think a journeyman earning the vet min will be on the rotation over him.

TD 21
11-04-2018, 08:28 PM
And even with all of that in mind, you still don't pay a guy 7 mils per year if you think a journeyman earning the vet min will be on the rotation over him.

You do because it's about asset retention and you have no means to replace the $7M player.

We all discussion the rotation as in when everyone is healthy, but that's rarely the case. You need at least 12 rotation players to get through a season.

K...
11-04-2018, 10:07 PM
You play your best players. Bertans is a mid career player earning mid career salary. Cunningham is a stop gap who is just as likely to out of the league next year. That's why he's earning no $$ because there is no upside.

As a win now stopgap he's as good as we can expect. BErtans was always going to a bench player when we resigned rudy. You can debate whether hed do better with more minutes but not that he can outlay a healthy rudy

phxspurfan
11-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Can't really judge his value tonight, on a B2B starting Bert, shuffling the lineup, without a key part of the current Big 3 (Rudy) and the others tired after a late finish last night. This team is also likely not good enough to withstand losing any of LMA/Gay/DeRozan for any game. And Cunningham only had like 3 shots anyway.

Immortal Spur
11-04-2018, 10:19 PM
10/10 damage control ^^^ that's how you do it boys

DAF86
11-04-2018, 11:34 PM
Can't really judge his value tonight, on a B2B starting Bert, shuffling the lineup, without a key part of the current Big 3 (Rudy) and the others tired after a late finish last night. This team is also likely not good enough to withstand losing any of LMA/Gay/DeRozan for any game. And Cunningham only had like 3 shots anyway.

That's exactly the problem. With unlikely exceptions, like the Pels game, Cunningham doesn't shoot much, because he knows he sucks on offense. It's not that he doesn't shoot much because the other team is trying to stop him, he doesn't shoot much just because he passes up good looks, because he has no confidence knocking down shots.

Rick Von Braun
11-05-2018, 04:16 PM
funny all the "poor's man" comparisons. With 31 years of age and 9 teams, not much potential for improvement to be realistic. He will be an OK rotation player at most, with the occasionally good game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-07-2018, 09:49 AM
For picking him out of the scrap heap he’s been pretty decent. Kind of like a box of discarded dishes you see by the apartment dumpster when you’re in college...you bring them in, wash ‘em up, and use them because it’s either that or nothing. They get the job done, and don’t completely suck, but as soon as you can afford something better you know they’re going to get replaced.

DaBears
11-07-2018, 02:09 PM
It's clear they're grooming him for more. He's learning at an astronomical pace.

He is a filler Piece, he is playing a role, and next year he will be gone, signing with another team.. He is a small forward who is good enough to contribute but not enough to standout on a regular basis. Hence why he is been on multiple teams over his career, that is not a shot at him but these types of players bounce around.. Did i mention that he is no spring chicken, but i am all for players who help contribute to the team...

phxspurfan
11-07-2018, 07:14 PM
For picking him out of the scrap heap he’s been pretty decent. Kind of like a box of discarded dishes you see by the apartment dumpster when you’re in college...you bring them in, wash ‘em up, and use them because it’s either that or nothing. They get the job done, and don’t completely suck, but as soon as you can afford something better you know they’re going to get replaced.

Yeah sadly seems like this

SAGirl
11-07-2018, 10:48 PM
:hang:hang Starting small forward fir the Spurs off the scrap heap bc there’s so many bench players that are paid the big bucks :greedy

Chinook
11-08-2018, 12:10 AM
Cun is the starting PF.

Can't fault Pop's rotation tonight, given what he had. Also, the only real difference likely would have been Anderson instead of Bertans. I can't think of an impact SF that went for the MLE.

SAGirl
11-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Cun is the starting PF.

Can't fault Pop's rotation tonight, given what he had. Also, the only real difference likely would have been Anderson instead of Bertans. I can't think of an impact SF that went for the MLE.
That’s not the point. The point is looking at where they spent all their money and where they didn’t.

exstatic
11-08-2018, 10:59 AM
That’s not the point. The point is looking at where they spent all their money and where they didn’t.

So, just bitch about it when Chin clearly showed there was really no reasonable SF alternative?

SAGirl
11-08-2018, 02:36 PM
So, just bitch about it when Chin clearly showed there was really no reasonable SF alternative?
It’s not about a specific player it’s roster construction it’s who you choose to get paid, extended and for how much. How that limits your opportunities elsewhere. There’s been players available whether through trades, draft trades or FA. If you are trading your starting SF, SG and not resigning the good backup you had or played there in Kiwis absence last season get someone better. Didn’t have to let Danny go and get no wing back. There was a time they had 5-6 great or good wings for their system and either traded them all out or let them go for nothing back. Didn’t replenish that pot and it’s empty.

I am not going to play armchair GM bc I have no idea the amount of quality of players available in private channels that GM discuss, but there’s players available. They didn’t have to build a roster with literally scraps at the wings off the bargain bin bc the paid off a high amount to players that are limited, play in the bench anyways, etc.

Dverde
11-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Maybe bandwagon instead of greyhound bus is more appropriate.

Immortal Spur
11-08-2018, 04:34 PM
It’s not about a specific player it’s roster construction it’s who you choose to get paid, extended and for how much. How that limits your opportunities elsewhere. There’s been players available whether through trades, draft trades or FA. If you are trading your starting SF, SG and not resigning the good backup you had or played there in Kiwis absence last season get someone better. Didn’t have to let Danny go and get no wing back. There was a time they had 5-6 great or good wings for their system and either traded them all out or let them go for nothing back. Didn’t replenish that pot and it’s empty.

I am not going to play armchair GM bc I have no idea the amount of quality of players available in private channels that GM discuss, but there’s players available. They didn’t have to build a roster with literally scraps at the wings off the bargain bin bc the paid off a high amount to players that are limited, play in the bench anyways, etc.
its a fair point... a lot of cash on the bench

J_Paco
11-08-2018, 04:44 PM

Although I agree with your general sentiment, SAGirl, I have disagree that the team ever had "5 or 6" good wings in the system. Kyle Anderson was a solid player while here, but was/is always gonna be stuck between the 3 and 4.

Also, his lack of aggression on offense and erratic perimeter game made him a bad long - term replacement for Kawhi.

Anyone else, Green, Simmons, etc., was either too small or too inconsistent to be a viable long- term answer.

Gay was the perfect addition, although coming off a serious injury, being inconsistent on defense and also erratic (but better/more assertive than Anderson) from the perimeter, because he brought size, athleticism and scoring to the table behind Kawhi.

Now, unfortunately the team made the gigantic mistake of not finding another viable SF with those attributes (size, athleticism, offensive aggression and defensive potential) while trading Kawhi away and letting Anderson walk.

Hopefully, they remedy this oversight with someone that can even squeak by playing minutes at the NBA level.

If Gay is out for a month, like last season, with the heel bursitis then that could be the death knell to their playoff hopes.

And to keep this on topic, I like Dante as 11th or 12th man but having him in the rotation....

RC_Drunkford
11-09-2018, 02:08 PM

Here she goes with the "we should've paid 9 million per year for Kyle fuckin Anderson" take. You are truly retarded

SAGirl
11-09-2018, 11:04 PM
Here she goes with the "we should've paid 9 million per year for Kyle fuckin Anderson" take. You are truly retarded
I was disappointed initially that he wasn’t re-signed but he got a great deal for himself and moved on. I am happy for him that he got paid.

Read everything else then come back. Think Kyle is rent free in your head.

RC_Drunkford
11-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Think Kyle is rent free in your head.

:lmao:lmao:lmao you of all people have to say that

tbdog
11-10-2018, 07:46 AM
RC_Drungford dinner discussions must be depressing as hell.

Dverde
11-12-2018, 10:57 PM
Bump...great play in2Q

TheGreatYacht
11-13-2018, 01:58 PM
It's still unreal to me when I say it out loud... Dante Cunningham is our starting Power Forward in 2018/2019 :lol Jesus Christ PATFO....

phxspurfan
06-29-2019, 12:12 AM
bumpy

phxspurfan
06-29-2019, 12:14 AM

:rollin

slick'81
06-29-2019, 12:16 AM
Be gone centerpiece of shit