PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Buy or Sell - Spurs or Rockets Win More Games

Rummpd
11-04-2018, 05:51 AM
Buy or sell: The Spurs will win more games than the Rockets

Let's treat this as a two-part question:

How good are the Spurs in the post-Kawhi Leonard era?

How bad are the Rockets without Trevor Ariza?

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/25164029/nba-buy-sell-san-antonio-spurs-win-more-games-houston-rockets

The Spurs averaged 64 wins per season with a plus-8.9 point-scoring differential when led by Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge in 2015-16 and 2016-17, then won 47 games with a plus-2.9 point differential last season with Leonard playing in only nine games. With coach Gregg Popovich and Aldridge as the incumbent leaders -- running tried-and-true Spurs game plans that emphasize strong role play outside of the primary options -- last season's 47 wins are likely the floor for their potential. How close can new addition DeMar DeRozan get them to their previous Kawhi-led ceiling?

Leonard was a legitimate MVP candidate, finishing top 5 in on-court impact according to real plus minus (RPM). DeRozan is not on that level, finishing a career-best 67th in RPM last season. However, DeRozan has developed into an elite offensive performer, able to create volume opportunities for himself while improving at creating looks for others off the dribble. DeRozan ranked 15th in offensive RPM (ORPM) last season, and he brings that much-needed offensive-creation ability to San Antonio, helping Aldridge anchor that side of the ball. The Spurs currently rank ninth in the NBA with an offensive rating of 111.9 points scored per 100 possessions, up from 107.9 (17th) last season.

Their defense is giving up 110.6 points per 100 possessions, 19th in the NBA and far off their usual impressive pace. DeRozan's weakness could be playing some part, but the Spurs have also lost a lot of defensive talent. They do still have Popovich, though, and will need him to scheme them into defensive improvements for the team to succeed.

The Spurs have won five of their first seven games during the DeRozan/Aldridge era. While DeRozan likely helps them surpass last season's 47 wins by a bit, their ceiling is probably closer to 55 wins than the high-water marks under Leonard.

Meanwhile, the Rockets have lost five of their first seven games this season, including four by double figures, causing early alarm and speculation of real decline. They did lose two solid defensive role players from their forward unit, Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute, this offseason, but they returned the primary core players of the team that won 65 games with a plus-8.5 scoring margin last season.

So why the incredibly slow start? I do acknowledge some growing pains as they integrate Carmelo Anthony into slots formerly held by 3-and-D role players, but I cite the primary culprits as suspension (to Chris Paul) and injury (to James Harden). Paul and Harden only have played 39 minutes together this season, a bad opening loss to the then-surging New Orleans Pelicans and a win over the Los Angeles Lakers. Paul was suspended for the following two games and Harden injured his hamstring in the second of those contests.

If Rockets continue to lose when Harden returns, then this becomes a real thing. Until then, I expect them to come out of their tailspin and start to resemble their team from last season. While Houston has been a bottom-10 offense, Second Spectrum's shot quality data suggests Houston will return to a top-10 scoring attack in time. The defense has been ugly, but there's still time for the team to get itself together on that end.

This is a soft sell, with the Spurs likely to win in the low 50s of games, while the Rockets likely settle in as an upper-50s win team.

Still a good season but hoping prediction is wrong.

BillMc
11-04-2018, 06:10 AM
Many thanks for sharing this.

The words "led by Leonard" bug me. Sure, he was our best player. But Kawhi led nobody...

Spurtacular
11-04-2018, 07:08 AM

The words "led by Leonard" bug me. Sure, he was our best player. But Kawhi led nobody...

17 game fallout with KL sitting out last season. He was a difference maker whether or not you want to call him a leader.

BillMc
11-04-2018, 07:19 AM
17 game fallout with KL sitting out last season. He was a difference maker whether or not you want to call him a leader.

Obviously he was a difference maker. An elite one. But he was not a leader.

Mr. Body
11-04-2018, 07:47 AM
A bit premature analysis. The Spurs are still installing their defense. My suspicion is that the Rockets won't solve their problems, which is why they're trying to panic-buy Jimmy Butler. But they'll still win a ton of games. If the Spurs manage to get bench and role-player production I see 50+ wins.

spursparker9
11-04-2018, 08:45 AM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ThinkingGradualAwesome.gif

Fusternino
11-04-2018, 09:15 AM
I forget who it was but someone in another thread said Dante was a better signing than Melo. Very true.

John B
11-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Houston will not solve their problem because of cancer Melo. He will ask more touches and start pointing fingers as they continue losing. Thibs is crazy to give Butler to Hou to help build the next Dubs, despite the 4 1st picks which would all be late 20’s anyway. I expect Min to get another star player like McCollum and some picks. Spurs is starting to pickup the team defense and limited high scoring Pels below 100. With the addition of White and LW4 in the 2nd unit, they will get even better, with White helping other players like Bertans, Poeltl to score more, plus both White/LW4 offer much needed defensive help in the guard position (exposed by Jrue toying with Mills and Forbes last night). While Kawhitter was a more impactful player, the Spurs are playing “better” basketball with Demar. The guys seem to enjoy each other more and should continue to improve. They will win 55+ wins because teams are not used to playing Spurs defense (once all players are in place). I seriously think Spurs contend for 2nd best record, Pops winning COY, Demar named all-NBA and up for MVP consideration. GSG

Chinook
11-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Really depends on if the Spurs make a move or not. Right now, I have Houston as still having a much higher ceiling. Not looking forward to their upcoming match-up because I don't see who's going to check Harden without fouling. Maybe with only one game in five days, the Spurs can get White back. Wouldn't expect to see Derrick get designated-defender minutes though. Anyways, the Spurs have to pile on as many wins as they can now, and they really aren't that far ahead of the Rockets, given that they have four games against Houston. Could easily be like the battle for third last year, where SA was holding on to that spot for dear life but finally losing it when the injuries became too much and then completely letting go and falling to seventh. So much of this season, especially the defense, is going to rely on chemistry and rhythm. Getting some more talent could help reduce the instability.

Kobe'sAchilles
11-04-2018, 12:04 PM
If Aldridge wasn't hurt last year then we get more wins than 47. We had so many injuries last year that is wasn't just a Kawhi thing. Rudy gay missed like 30 games as well. By adding Demar and losing nobody else this season then we should win like 52 games

TXstbobcat
11-04-2018, 12:32 PM

his uncle was the one doing the leading. Lead nephew into hiding in NY.