PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Magic - Nov. 4, 2018

timvp
11-05-2018, 03:14 AM
https://i.imgur.com/GpxVpV6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HQ8yoek.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/u1bMHgl.jpg

San Antonio's four-game winning streak came to a screeching halt on Sunday night. The Magic, who entered the game riding a four-game losing streak, clearly outplayed the Spurs on their way to a 117-110 victory.

Orlando expanded their lead to 26 points with nine minutes remaining in the game. The Spurs, to their credit, battled back and actually got within five points with 1:41 left in the ballgame. Unfortunately, the run proved to be too little, too late.

This was the Spurs' first back-to-back of the season and the result was ugly. Their defense, which had been the best in the league over the previous four outings, majorly regressed as the Magic scored at a rate of 120.6 points per 100 possessions.

For San Antonio's defense to meltdown against the Magic is surprising considering Orlando entered the game with the second worst ranked offense in the league. But let's give the Magic credit, they played hard, hit a lot of difficult shots and jumped on San Antonio from the opening tip. They deserved the W.

-------------

LaMarcus Aldridge
https://i.imgur.com/1nluyNF.png
LaMarcus Aldridge just didn't have a very good game. My biggest beef with his play was his defense, or lack thereof. He was decent when defending the low block but was a disaster when asked to move his feet out on the perimeter. Whenever Pop put him at power forward, it was scary how unable Aldridge was to function outside the paint. Let's hope it was fatigue making him that slow and immobile. Otherwise, Aldridge will have to stick with playing center from now on. Offensively, he wasn't too good, either. He was sloppy with the ball and wasn't physical enough to establish position. Aldridge was mostly floating around the midrange and didn't do much to help the Spurs provide a post presence.
Grade: C-
Summary: Aldridge was sub par on both ends. Hopefully he was just tired.

-------------

DeMar DeRozan
https://i.imgur.com/ZKxGADZ.png
Speaking of fatigue, it looked like minutes finally caught up to DeMar DeRozan. He came into the game second in the league in minutes per game at 37.4 and appeared to run out of gas by halftime. After scoring 19 points in the first two quarters, DeRozan was nearly invisible in the final two periods. His effort on defense was less than ideal throughout the contest. Overall, though, it's difficult to be too upset with his statistical production. DeRozan scored 25 points on 16 shots, grabbed seven rebounds and handed off five assists. Turnovers (4) were a problem, but that too looked like it could have been fatigue induced.
Grade: B
Summary: DeRozan was productive in the first half against the Magic but then vanished.

-------------

Bryn Forbes
https://i.imgur.com/yXVIEAs.png
Bryn Forbes had a rocky evening. He struggled with foul trouble for a lot of the night. Forbes' ball-handling and playmaking were sub par, even for him. On the plus side of the equation, he was sufficiently aggressive looking for his own shot and nothing seemed to dull his confidence on offense. His defense was decent -- outside of the fouls. He was reaching way too much on D and that got him in trouble with the whistles.
Summary: Forbes was brimming with confidence but the results were uneven.

-------------

Dante Cunningham
https://i.imgur.com/W3QWUCI.png
The good: Dante Cunningham made a lot of hustle plays on defense, particularly in transition and when the halfcourt defense broke down. He also was physical on the glass. The bad: Pretty much everything else. Cunningham's individual defense wasn't good. When Pop put him at small forward, Cunningham's lack of mobility became blindingly obvious. While he's mobile for a power forward, he's way too earthbound to defend shooting guards or small forwards with any sort of speed. Offensively, Cunningham was even worse. He was getting in the way and always seemed a step or two behind in the motion offense.
Grade: C-
Summary: All in all, Cunningham was hurting the Spurs on both ends of the court tonight.

-------------

Davis Bertans
https://i.imgur.com/ucY2jSF.png
Davis Bertans got the start at small forward with Rudy Gay sidelined. Unfortunately, Bertans was unable to snap out of his funk. Offensively, he couldn't cash in on his numerous open looks. (To his credit, he kept shooting despite the misses.) His passing was also uncharacteristically off target. Defensively, he was mostly okay. He got overwhelmed physically a few times but his fundamentals were better than usual -- except for on the defensive glass where Bertans forgot to box out a few times and forgot to jump for the rebound a few other times.
Grade: B-
Summary: Bertans got a chance to shine but didn't truly take advantage of it.

-------------

Patty Mills
https://i.imgur.com/gTa4B5z.png
Offensively, Patty Mills was solid. He forced Orlando to account for him at all times because he was constantly probing for shots. I have no qualms with Mills being a shoot-first point guard because that's when he's at his best. Tonight, his passing was adequate and he did a good job of taking care of the ball. Defensively, Mills took a step backwards. His improved effort on D was a big reason for the recent team-wide recovery. But against the Magic, Mills didn't have the edge he had in the previous four games. He played passively and the Magic had success going right at him. When the diminutive Australian doesn't play with a chip on his shoulder, it's difficult for him to survive on D.
Grade: B-
Summary: Offense? Good. Defense? Not good.

-------------

Marco Belinelli
https://i.imgur.com/hP9vIFY.png
Marco Belinelli is another player who thrived on offense but was a sieve on defense. On the defensive end, he wasn't staying in front of his man and his transition D was often poor. Offensively, there wasn't much to complain about. He was his energetic self, knocked down a couple difficult shots, got to the free throw line a season-high five times and avoided turnovers.
Summary: Belinelli provided instant offense but his defense was missing in action.

-------------

Pau Gasol
https://i.imgur.com/oF0jVre.png
Pau Gasol was the man most responsible for the fourth quarter comeback. Pop had seemingly waved the white flag but Gasol wasn't quite ready to surrender. His inspired play can be seen on the stat sheet as he totaled 12 points, eight rebounds, five assists and two blocked shots despite playing less than half the game. In retrospect, Gasol should have played some of Aldridge's minutes because he was demonstrably better than San Antonio's starting center on both ends of the court.
Grade: A-
Summary: Gasol played like a man possessed during the frantic fourth quarter comeback.

-------------

Jakob Poeltl
https://i.imgur.com/FUIlW00.png
If there was one silver lining to this disappointing loss, it's the fact that Jakob Poeltl showed signs of life. He was a beast on the offensive glass; the Magic really struggled to stop Poeltl from getting his hands on San Antonio's missed shots. His passing was impressive and the seven-footer registered his first blocked shot of the season. Defensively, Poeltl was a definite plus -- both individually and when providing help. While the Austrian is still figuring out how to fit on the offensive end, this was the first time he looked comfortable in silver and black.
Grade: A-
Summary: Poeltl looked like the player the Spurs traded for.

-------------

Quincy Pondexter
https://i.imgur.com/loUbrtn.png
With Gay out, Quincy Pondexter found himself in the rotation. All told, he didn't do much to move the needle either way. His defense was okay . . . but compared to his lackluster teammates, it stood out as above average. He pressured ball-handlers well and cut off drivers. Offensively, Pondexter was also okay. He didn't get in the way often and acted like he knew what he was doing most of the time.
Summary: Pondexter soaked up the extra minutes that were available and didn't hurt the team.

-------------

Pop
https://i.imgur.com/x7B1It7.jpg
Pop riding DeRozan and Aldridge heavy minutes to begin the season appeared to catch up to him this game. The coaching staff never really found a group that played well together tonight. Playing Cunningham at small forward was a bad decision. In hindsight, Pop should have given more minutes to Gasol and probably either Belinelli or Pondexter. Sticking with Poeltl when he found a rhythm didn't really help the Spurs in this game but should pay off down the line.
Grade: C+
Summary: The Spurs looked tired and Pop deserves a portion of that blame.

Looking ahead: This is a tough loss to swallow. Being at home, the Spurs needed this win against a much inferior team. That is especially true with the difficult schedule that lies ahead.

The coaching staff had gotten away with playing the two stars big minutes until this back-to-back. We'll see if fatigue becomes a theme this season or if this turns out to just be an early season hiccup.

BillMc
11-05-2018, 03:28 AM
Thanks as always for posting these OP. Fatigue hit hard this game. LMA and maybe DeMar should have rested. I'd be more accepting of the loss if that was the case.

phxspurfan
11-05-2018, 03:29 AM
Monday Morning Quarterback in me says this type of game is the perfect game for Pop to go all Lower Decks and start the bench. Everyone could see the stars had played a lot of minutes of late. Pretty much everyone predicted some inefficiency out of them in their first b2b, or a letdown of some sort. Maybe Pop takes this for data and starts to rest some guys against teams on one or two of these back to backs, as at anything less than 100%, this team is probably not going to win many games against quality teams this year.

And by rest, I mean start the bench guys like Gasol/Bert/Beli/Mills/whoever and maybe bring LMA/DeMar off the bench or play him and DeMar only about 15 minutes.

tbdog
11-05-2018, 04:12 AM
It's good to see that Mills and Gasol are coming around and Poeltl showed up. Cunningham and LMA looked gassed. The first half, Orl were just scoring off shoulder screens. Then in the third, our rotations were a mess and gave up open 3's. Bertans was not efficient and did not provide enough defense to make up for it. As glaring is our poor guard defense is at the moment due to injuries, we desperately need a wing to defender.

Jay.From.NbTx
11-05-2018, 06:26 AM
Orlando Warriors tbh
now watch them play Brooklyn or some shit next and not hit a god damn thing ...
fluky game from Orlando but a lot of teams have those against the Spurs

RC_Drunkford
11-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Grades a little to high in my opinion. The average grade is B which is way to good when gettin blown out by the Magic. Still solid takes though

offset formation
11-05-2018, 08:00 AM
Orlando Warriors tbh
now watch them play Brooklyn or some shit next and not hit a god damn thing ...
fluky game from Orlando but a lot of teams have those against the Spurs

Yep. All 3 teams we've lost to have been super efficient from the field.

John B
11-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Ugly game. The only positive is that they were able to get back from 26 points down to 5 pts, but proved to be too much to overcome especially on the 2nd leg of a b2b. They will address the lack of defense especially off a pnr by guards Fournier, Agustin and Jrue from the previous night, fighting through picks, switching, closing in on 3’s, etc. This team can score, but it needs to make stops.

skookumchuck
11-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Yep. All 3 teams we've lost to have been super efficient from the field.

Pretty obvious that the game plan from the get go was to let them shoot. What sucks, though, is that once they started to make all those shots, we were unable to make adjustments.

R. DeMurre
11-05-2018, 10:10 AM
I'm going to write off Aldridge's game as the result of fatigue on a back-to-back. He completely outplayed Anthony Davis the night before, and then was completely outplayed by Aaron Gordon last night...

Mugen
11-05-2018, 10:12 AM
8th game of the season and first b2b and we're gonna go with the fatigued excuse :lol

So i guess this is what we'll see in about 15-20 games when the team is completely gassed by January

Spurs Homer
11-05-2018, 10:15 AM
I have to disagree on the posts regarding fatigue. I really hope that maybe Pop has decided to just play players longer minutes and tones down the "mandatory resting" or even coddling of players.

I know it is a long shot, but maybe after the rash of injuries- just maybe Pop is done with his coddling and just allows his athletes to be athletes.

I am not hoping he turns into Thibodeau but maybe just letting them rack up minutes and stop micromanaging them as if they are china dolls.

I do agree that they were tired last night but that is ok, cannot win them all and the early start didn't help.
At the same time it is good that they were tired and this might pay dividends later in the season when the players don't crumble if they face a physical team or a physical/draining series.

stnick2261
11-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Grades a little to high in my opinion. The average grade is B which is way to good when gettin blown out by the Magic. Still solid takes though

You have to weigh the grades by minutes played... not a straight average

Immortal Spur
11-05-2018, 10:53 AM
you'd think we won with looking at the grades..

Chinook
11-05-2018, 10:53 AM
I've been harping on SA's need for a fourth option all year. They needed someone to step up for Gay, and they needed someone to help DeRozan out on the perimeter. "The System", at least in the sense most fans seem to think of it, is over. The team has to get a legit play-maker for the second unit. That's assuming Gay gets sent down there. Their margin of error with the guys they have no is just too thin, and I don't think Murray being healthy would change anything.

Fusternino
11-05-2018, 11:07 AM
I've been harping on SA's need for a fourth option all year. They needed someone to step up for Gay, and they needed someone to help DeRozan out on the perimeter. "The System", at least in the sense most fans seem to think of it, is over. The team has to get a legit play-maker for the second unit. That's assuming Gay gets sent down there. Their margin of error with the guys they have no is just too thin, and I don't think Murray being healthy would change anything.

I would just back to a two-big line-up and have Cunningham start over Gay and Poeltl over Gasol. Gay/Gasol should work fine as the two iso players on the bench. Maybe give Q-Pon some more burn too, he's looked legit.

TheGreatYacht
11-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Forbes and bertans don't deserve B's at all tbh. If so then Beli and DeRozan deserve A's

DJR210
11-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Well at least we can say Jakob is now officially an upgrade of Lord Joffrey, as it only took 9 games to register a block :tu

Chinook
11-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Issue is that Jakob is coming back online just as the Spurs seem to be realizing that they have to play small. I mean, better late than never, but Poeltl lost his chance at a spot in the rotation. He's not as good as Gasol on most night and certainly does't have the upside. He doesn't seem to have the agility to really guard modern PFs, so him starting with LMA probably wouldn't work (especially not with Cun at the three). The best I see is that having him could make it more palatable to trade a center for a forward (like the oft-mentioned Porter trade). Dante or someone better than Dante is just the where the team needs to go as the other starting big. Even at the other spot on the bench, the team would benefit from going small. Even if he's been getting overrated like shit on this board, Metu has a clearer path to minutes than Poeltl does.

boutons_deux
11-05-2018, 01:54 PM
"Gasol played like a man possessed during the frantic fourth quarter comeback"

the rest of the time, PG stands around in no-man's land spectating shots, the antithesis of hustle.

phxspurfan
11-05-2018, 02:02 PM
8th game of the season and first b2b and we're gonna go with the fatigued excuse :lol

So i guess this is what we'll see in about 15-20 games when the team is completely gassed by January

They've had like 2 OT games out of those 8 (25% of their games) and their 3 best players are not super young as a group (Gay/LMA/DeRozan). They also have new guys who aren't used to playing heavy minutes (Forbes, Cunningham) and a bunch of 1 dimensional role players (Beli, Mills, etc). This is not your typical team and yes they will get tired if they have to play 37.5 minutes on average to win a game by 2-3 points.

phxspurfan
11-05-2018, 02:05 PM

Yup. The System relied on guys like Duncan to block shots on D, Parker and Manu to drive and dish/run that triple screen. It's a new day, and the system is / has to change for whatever's working in that game and with that particular matchup. Especially considering the holes the defensive schemes has to patch up in each matchup, given the personnel (old bigs, small/defenseless guards).

Kobe'sAchilles
11-05-2018, 04:39 PM
We lost to the f****** Magic. Everyone gets an F

tmtcsc
11-05-2018, 05:16 PM
We lost to the f****** Magic. Everyone gets an F

https://media.giphy.com/media/1o1iwQngXCF5guav2G/giphy.gif

Slippy
11-05-2018, 08:50 PM
That Demar dunk was huge but what I loved the most is he did it on a rotating defense and didn't settle for a three. Spurs need more of that game when their three isnt falling. Once Lonnie comes back if given mins should be able to do the same.

Everyone seemed to be a step behind dogging it or cheating on d. Lamarcus & Pau in particular. Definitely heavy legs . On offense , Pattys play at point hurt the team & put them into hole playing from behind all the way. His grade was generous. The sooner Patty gets back to a lesser role the better for the team .

Thanks for the write up.

Budkin
11-05-2018, 08:53 PM
And just to prove how ridiculous that loss was last night, Orlando is about to lose to the Cavs at home.

Jay.From.NbTx
11-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Exactly ^^^^
like where’s all that bullshit you were making against the Spurs!?
typical.

Hoops Czar
11-05-2018, 09:06 PM
And just to prove how ridiculous that loss was last night, Orlando is about to lose to the Cavs at home.
Spurs wore them out though.

spurs10
11-05-2018, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the grades! Yes we were outplayed from the start. I expect us to bounce back and be rested for our next two games. Houston will be tired of losing and Harden should be back, but that's no excuse. Go Spurs!!

DAF86
11-05-2018, 11:09 PM

White being healthy will.

DAF86
11-05-2018, 11:10 PM
I would just back to a two-big line-up and have Cunningham start over Gay and Poeltl over Gasol. Gay/Gasol should work fine as the two iso players on the bench. Maybe give Q-Pon some more burn too, he's looked legit.

Pairing Aldridge and DeRozan with two non-shooters like Poeltl and Cunningham would be a recipe for disaster.

SAGirl
11-06-2018, 09:25 AM
Feel like the grades were too generous when the team was getting blown out b4 the Magic remembered they are a bad team and squandered a lead. However I still appreciate the review :tu

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-07-2018, 12:47 AM
This team really can’t afford to lay any eggs like they did against the Magic. Let’s hope they bounce back strong and we get White and Walker back to add a little depth for B2B minutes.