PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Butler Traded To Sixers For Covington, Saric and 2nd Round Pick

Man Mountain
11-10-2018, 01:33 PM
How does this compare to what we got for Kawhi???????????

sananspursfan21
11-10-2018, 01:38 PM
Glad our guys got Derozan tbh

BatManu20
11-10-2018, 01:38 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276351&page=2&p=9593528#post9593528

Poolboy5623
11-10-2018, 01:39 PM
My guess is that's what phi offered for kawhi??

daslicer
11-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Hopefully it gives the Sixers enough to beat the Raptors in the playoffs.

The Closer
11-10-2018, 01:42 PM
My guess is that's what phi offered for kawhi??

Looks like trash. :lmao

Corp1
11-10-2018, 01:43 PM
they tried to give us that shit package with a 1st instead for Kawhi, lol.

slick'81
11-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Butler also isnt as good as kawhi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yf35s55Uyg

hater
11-10-2018, 01:46 PM
How does this compare to what we got for Kawhi???????????

:lmao if we had gotten this pile of shit for Kawhitter this place would have imploded :lmao
M

timvp
11-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Spurs would be on track to win about 25 games if they would have taken the Covington and Saric deal from the Sixers. (But I'm not even sure the Sixers ever offered the Spurs Saric -- there was talk he too was untouchable along with Fultz :lol. Saric was now available because he's been terrible to begin the season, tbh.)

It's difficult to compare Kawhi and Butler's value. Kawhi is obviously the better player at his best but Butler doesn't have the injury downside risk and Butler seems much more willing to sign long-term.

But, yeah, DeRozan + Poeltl + First - Green >>>>>>>>>>>>> Covington + Saric + Second

Chinook
11-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Spurs would be on track to win about 25 games if they would have taken the Covington and Saric deal from the Sixers. (But I'm not even sure the Sixers ever offered the Spurs Saric -- there was talk he too was untouchable along with Fultz :lol. Saric was now available because he's been terrible to begin the season, tbh.)

It's difficult to compare Kawhi and Butler's value. Kawhi is obviously the better player at his best but Butler doesn't have the injury downside risk and Butler seems much more willing to sign long-term.

But, yeah, DeRozan + Poeltl + First - Green >>>>>>>>>>>>> Covington + Saric + Second

Wolves also gave up Patton in the deal. Dude's been hurt and doesn't have a ton of value, but he at least cancels out the second-rounder (even if the 2022 draft is supposed to be great [which sucks because SA gave up their second for that draft already])

It's hilarious that the RealGMers are lauding Minny's FO. If you asked them Cov >>> DeRozan, and Saric > Poeltl so Thibs actually got a better haul in their book

Chinook
11-10-2018, 02:09 PM
:lmao if we had gotten this pile of shit for Kawhitter this place would have imploded :lmao
M

Yeah, we were talking about this, plus Fultz, plus 10th-overall. Philly obviously thought they were in a much better position than they were is they were trying to sell this shit sandwich the whole time.

RC_Drunkford
11-10-2018, 02:11 PM
I don't even know why some idiots actually thought we'd have anything close to Covington + Saric to offer for Butler. Pau + Mills is nowhere near that

slick'81
11-10-2018, 02:16 PM
I don't even know why some idiots actually thought we'd have anything close to Covington + Saric to offer for Butler. Pau + Mills is nowhere near that

Bbbb but 100 million dollars

Chinook
11-10-2018, 02:18 PM

There was zero reason to add Mills to that trade. He wasn't needed to make the numbers work and was negative value. Gasol's mostly expiring status meant he was essentially a reset button for the franchise. At that point, it was just about the Spurs offering raw incentive, and you can totally argue that they had that with Walker and picks. I don't think Philly beat that hypothetical offer with this trade. Thibs took this because of fit/direction, not because of value. Obviously, we don't have reason to believe PATFO offered anything, but the same principle applies to Houston's trade, though that was its own shit sandwich that SA could have beaten easily.

RC_Drunkford
11-10-2018, 02:23 PM
There was zero reason to add Mills to that trade. He wasn't needed to make the numbers work and was negative value. Gasol's mostly expiring status meant he was essentially a reset button for the franchise. At that point, it was just about the Spurs offering raw incentive, and you can totally argue that they had that with Walker and picks. I don't think Philly beat that hypothetical offer with this trade. Thibs took this because of fit/direction, not because of value. Obviously, we don't have reason to believe PATFO offered anything, but the same principle applies to Houston's trade, though that was its own shit sandwich that SA could have beaten easily.

Covington + Saric + Draft pick is still way better than Pau, Walker and picks

TheGreatYacht
11-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Wannabe all star going to a wannabe contender :lol

Still wont be enough to beat the best defensive team which also has the best player in the world. Toronto in 5.

Chinook
11-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Covington + Saric + Draft pick is still way better than Pau, Walker and picks

First, I don't think it is. Second, it depends on your aims. If you're trying to tank, then you don't want win-now vets. You used "draft pick" to describe Philly's/Denver's 2022 second. That's nowhere near as valuable as two firsts this year.

Mr. Body
11-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Saric is decent and could be good, otherwise this is pretty trashy for the Wolves. I would have taken those four picks from Houston in a heartbeat, had they been offered.

Butler is overrated, but could be a good fit for the Sixers. They've not been great.

Spurs definitely got a better deal. I wish they could have pulled some actual picks or young players, but DDR is far better than Saric/Covington. It's just that the rest of the team is pretty bad.

Mr. Body
11-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Thinking about this a bit more, this isn't horrible for Minnesota. First, I hate a lot of their players. KAT is soft as Charmin, and Wiggins is such an overpaid fraud. But getting a couple role-players to put around these guys is a good idea. Still, they're depending on a decrepit Derrick Rose who will get hurt again at any second.

This is addition by subtraction, since the other Wolves players decided they didn't want Butler around. It's the right sort of basketball move to make, to get these players, I just don't believe in the players they have.

LakerHater
11-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Way better deal than wht Spurs got!!!!

phxspurfan
11-10-2018, 03:39 PM
No idea why Minny didn't take the 4 first rounders offered by Houston, instead of this trash

gambit1990
11-10-2018, 03:58 PM
wouldn’t be surprised if he causes drama on the 6ers.

FkLA
11-10-2018, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yf35s55Uyg

:lmao

objective
11-10-2018, 04:24 PM

I'd say Butler is the bigger injury risk. He's older and had real knee surgery and logged tons of minutes when he plays. Kawhi had a fake injury, never had any surgical procedure on his legs, is younger, and has been preserved by not playing as many tough minutes.

tbdog
11-10-2018, 04:27 PM
Butler was open for any team. Leonard only wanted LA. This is an avg deal for wolves.

Hoops Czar
11-10-2018, 04:39 PM
Wolves also gave up Patton in the deal. Dude's been hurt and doesn't have a ton of value, but he at least cancels out the second-rounder (even if the 2022 draft is supposed to be great [which sucks because SA gave up their second for that draft already])

It's hilarious that the RealGMers are lauding Minny's FO. If you asked them Cov >>> DeRozan, and Saric > Poeltl so Thibs actually got a better haul in their book

You'd be surprised at the amount of goobers in this forum that wanted Covington, Saric and Fultz fom Philly. The difference here being that Phily promotes their shit as gold rather than the toilet scrubbers that they are. The Spurs pronote their shit as shit to keep their stock down for fear someone might actually want them.

Russ
11-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Philly hits the panic button as their rebuild stalls . . .

YGWHI
11-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Butler has not been exactly an Iron-man...

Butler was open for any team. Leonard only wanted LA. This is an avg deal for wolves.

Who knows but Jabari Young said that Sixers was Kawhi's camp 2nd option after LA. The issue was Spurs wanted one of Simmons/Embiid for him.

K...
11-10-2018, 05:41 PM
You'd be surprised at the amount of goobers in this forum that wanted Covington, Saric and Fultz fom Philly. The difference here being that Phily promotes their shit as gold rather than the toilet scrubbers that they are. The Spurs pronote their shit as shit to keep their stock down for fear someone might actually want them.

they also had goo draft picks. The main draw was fultz plus the picks.

YGWHI
11-10-2018, 05:43 PM
Philly hits the panic button as their rebuild stalls . . .

Still a great move. They just needed a good wing to complete the Simmons/Embiid puzzle.

YGWHI
11-10-2018, 05:49 PM
No idea why Minny didn't take the 4 first rounders offered by Houston, instead of this trash
Because they didn't want to send a player to a direct Western Conference rival?

I would take 4 picks in any scenario. Wolves are trash with and without Butler this season.

exstatic
11-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Who knows but Jabari Young said that Sixers was Kawhi's camp 2nd option after LA. The issue was Spurs wanted one of Simmons/Embiid for him.
Between Simmons and Fultz, their offense is choking from lack of spacing. I'll bet if they had a do over, they'd pull the trigger with Simmons.

YGWHI
11-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Between Simmons and Fultz, their offense is choking from lack of spacing. I'll bet if they had a do over, they'd pull the trigger with Simmons.

Agree. Simmons is still a playmaker...On other hand, they're rumors about his "work ethic and desire" to develop a shot.

J_Paco
11-10-2018, 06:40 PM

Still wont be enough to beat the best defensive team which also has the best player in the world. Toronto in 5.

When did LeBron, Durant and arguably Davis & Giannis retire?

Kawhi, when healthy and motivated, is nearly as good as any of them but he hasn't surpassed all 4. Shit, some people would argue that he hasn't surpassed any of the four (I disagree).

r0drig0lac
11-10-2018, 07:11 PM
what can we offer to the wolves for Covington??

tbdog
11-10-2018, 07:12 PM
2016, Leonard was the best player in the league outside playoff Lebron. And even then, Leonard was better.

Chinook
11-10-2018, 07:14 PM
what can we offer to the wolves for Covington??

Gotta wait until they start really losing and fire Thibs. Then they can try to sell Taylor on Bertans or at least try to pull off a three-team trade using Davis, Beli and/or Forbes.

r0drig0lac
11-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Gotta wait until they start really losing and fire Thibs. Then they can try to sell Taylor on Bertans or at least try to pull off a three-team trade using Davis, Beli and/or Forbes.

good, although I think that this trade can really improve the wolves

Chinook
11-10-2018, 07:26 PM
good, although I think that this trade can really improve the wolves

It depends on their guard play. Butler was their best defender and creator. Guys like Teague and Rose need to step up on both ends, because Cov is a complimentary player and may not do very well on a team with nothing but inefficient chuckers.

SpurOutofTownFan
11-10-2018, 08:16 PM
M

My brotha this place actually IMPLODED when the Spurs got DeRozan.. I remember people crying and saying they would abandon all hope and front office sucked....

SAGirl
11-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Derozan is better than those guys. I am just sour Spurs included Danny Green in the trade.

Keepin' it real
11-10-2018, 08:44 PM
Derozan is better than those guys. I am just sour Spurs included Danny Green in the trade.

I'm not. Green had hit a wall or ceiling or whatever. He needed a change of scenery. No way he'd be playing as well if he had stayed.

SAGirl
11-10-2018, 08:46 PM
I'm not. Green had hit a wall or ceiling or whatever. He needed a change of scenery. No way he'd be playing as well if he had stayed.
Sure in this hypothetical it’s confirmed bc it can’t be refuted bc he’s gone. He was really injured last season and this season playing next to Demar would have been much better for him getting shots in good spots and not bailout situations

Keepin' it real
11-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Sure in this hypothetical it’s confirmed bc it can’t be refuted bc he’s gone.

I forgot to say "book it" ... would that help? :smokin :tongue :spin

Mirrornick
11-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Jimmy Butler and Ben Simmons is such a bad fit. Then you got Embiid who loves touches and you got yourself chemistry issues.

BackHome
11-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Fuck hating all these whistles by the Zebras to many.

Chinook
11-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Even if that's true, Green would be the best defensive player on the roster, and not including him would have meant either Mills would go out or Pau would go out and someone else from Toronto would be included. Even a guy like CJ Miles would have helped this year.

paperboy77
11-10-2018, 09:38 PM
I still don't get why anyone thinks getting 4 first rounders from a possible top tier team is a great thing. I've said it before and i will continue to do so... This is not the NFL!!!! First rounders should not be traded for top NBA talent unless you are guaranteed top five pics. Four 1st's from Hou are meaningless unproven kids. Saric and Covington are proven young vets that can help the gaining team for the better. If you go with the picks more than likely you'll get James Anderson, Justin Anderson, that Leaf kid and maybe a "Covington" somewhere.

Either way since someone brought up KL, screw that dude. I was just watching 2014 Finals Youtube recap and KL was THE PERFECT SPUR if there ever was one. Then it went to shit for some reason. I hope that dude regrets leaving. GSG!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Body
11-10-2018, 09:53 PM
I still don't get why anyone thinks getting 4 first rounders from a possible top tier team is a great thing. I've said it before and i will continue to do so... This is not the NFL!!!! First rounders should not be traded for top NBA talent unless you are guaranteed top five pics. Four 1st's from Hou are meaningless unproven kids. Saric and Covington are proven young vets that can help the gaining team for the better. If you go with the picks more than likely you'll get James Anderson, Justin Anderson, that Leaf kid and maybe a "Covington" somewhere.

Either way since someone brought up KL, screw that dude. I was just watching 2014 Finals Youtube recap and KL was THE PERFECT SPUR if there ever was one. Then it went to shit for some reason. I hope that dude regrets leaving. GSG!!!!!!!!!

Houston's not going to be a top tier team for very long. They're already decaying and Paul will be an albatross very soon.

DAF86
11-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Still a great move. They just needed a good wing to complete the Simmons/Embiid puzzle.

lol no. Kawhi would have been a great move. A guy that can't shoot to pair with Simmons and Fultz isn't a great move.

marinoman
11-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Now do Wilson chandler for mills, benefits both teams

ducks
11-10-2018, 11:58 PM
Tim MacMahon
Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon
·
29m
Joel Embiid talked with Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins about Jimmy Butler. "They thought that we were definitely going to get along," Embiid told ESPN. "He wants to win. Wiggs told me that he thought that we were going to win the East for sure

RC_Drunkford
11-11-2018, 12:14 AM
Now do Wilson chandler for mills, benefits both teams

I wish but :pop:

ismael-robert
11-11-2018, 12:22 AM
Minny also got bayless

Dverde
11-11-2018, 12:35 AM
Minny also got bayless

I always thought Bayless would be a great Spur. Even if they buy him out, no need for him on this roster.

phxspurfan
11-11-2018, 12:57 AM
lol no. Kawhi would have been a great move. A guy that can't shoot to pair with Simmons and Fultz isn't a great move.

Kawhi with Simmons and Embiid would have been scary AF

And we would have shitty ass Markelle Fultz

Mr. Body
11-11-2018, 01:07 AM
I always thought Bayless would be a great Spur. Even if they buy him out, no need for him on this roster.

Bayless isn't a great anything.

anon
11-11-2018, 01:42 AM
My brotha this place actually IMPLODED when the Spurs got DeRozan.. I remember people crying and saying they would abandon all hope and front office sucked....
It's still true, it's just Houston's front office sucks even harder. Their gambles didn't pay off.

TheCultOfPersonality
11-11-2018, 06:23 AM
Bayless isn't a great anything.
True.

Kawhi_6rings
11-11-2018, 06:44 AM

KACHOKE IS NOT THE BEST,TEAM WINNING WITHOUT HIM:fro

Kawhi_6rings
11-11-2018, 06:47 AM
Jimmy Butler and Ben Simmons is such a bad fit. Then you got Embiid who loves touches and you got yourself chemistry issues.
EMBIID WILL HAVE LESS PRESSURE WITH BUTLER NOW,SORRY

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2018, 06:55 AM
trading away all the guys who can put the ball into basket, while keeping the great white hope who cant shoot? lol trust the process

exstatic
11-11-2018, 07:55 AM
It's still true, it's just Houston's front office sucks even harder. Their gambles didn't pay off.

One average year of CP3s deal is about 80% of Mills entire deal. Let that sink in.

Mirrornick
11-11-2018, 09:27 AM
EMBIID WILL HAVE LESS PRESSURE WITH BUTLER NOW,SORRY

You'll see

John B
11-11-2018, 10:40 AM
They could have gotten Kawhi with Simmons or Fultz. I don’t think Simmons and Fultz co-exist well. But whew I’m glad Philly didn’t offer. I’m happy with Demar. Spurs just need a legit 3nD and bruiser big.

Mirrornick
11-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Philly are now the timberwolves of the east.

Dverde
11-11-2018, 12:04 PM
I would have taken Gordon and the Houston picks over this package. It helps them win now I guess.

Seventyniner
11-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Cov is a complimentary player and may not do very well on a team with nothing but inefficient chuckers.

So why would the Spurs want him again?

DAF86
11-11-2018, 03:15 PM
I would have taken Gordon and the Houston picks over this package. It helps them win now I guess.

Gordon wasn't offered from what I heard.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Not sure this trade makes Philly better, it's essentially 2 for 1 trade and they're losing two starters who combine for 65 minutes. Butler will get about 35 of these but Philly are left with 30 mins a night they should redistribute to back ups and I'm not sure increased minutes for Muscala, Bolden or Johnson makes them much better. Chandler is their wild card I guess, depending on his health and fit.

TD 21
11-11-2018, 06:28 PM
I actually like this better than the Heat offer and think the Timberwolves did better than the Spurs because their roster makes a lot more sense (sure, they're overloaded at PF and C for the moment, but Gibson is up at the end of the season and Thibodeau will probably be fired).

Granted, they didn't need the go-to, high usage perimeter type to attempt to remain competitive, but still. Their problem is Wiggins sucks. If he were good enough to fill the role he was projected and is being paid to, they'd actually have a good core going forward. Still, him and more importantly Towns, will now have a setup that should facilitate them being their best selves.

For the 76ers, the fit and implosion potential are obvious, but it's not like they had an ideal roster anyway, so it was worth it to increase their ceiling. I'd imagine they'll at least somewhat shore up their lack of shooting and forward depth via trade or buyout.

If/when they get Butler re-signed (verbal commitment might even be enough), Fultz' days are clearly numbered. He'll be a difficult trade though. They won't want to give him away, yet it's highly unlikely someone would give up something of significance either.