PDA

View Full Version : What will the rotation be when everyone's back?

SpurPadre
11-12-2018, 03:38 PM
When Walker comes back, I can't see Pop not playing him. He showed in the summer and preseason that he's clearly an NBA ready player so playing in the g league would be useless for him. At the very least, his defensive abilities should entice Pop to use him right off the bat. Assuming Pop plays him, someone is going to be the odd man out in the backcourt. Will it be Mills or Forbes? And if Walker produces like I think he will, it could potentially shake things up completely in Pop's rotation. How do all of you see the rotation moving forward?

Seventyniner
11-12-2018, 03:51 PM
I think DeRozan and Walker will see a healthy amount of minutes at the 3, especially against teams that like to play small. Doubly so now that White is back. Forbes has shown too much to be benched, and I can't see Pop pushing Mills to third string full-time.

That means Cunningham and Pondexter stand the most to lose when Walker comes back. And just imagine if Murray hadn't gotten hurt!

That pushes Gay to mostly PF, and if Poeltl can't use Pau's absence to establish himself in the rotation, he might find himself out of it entirely.

RC_Drunkford
11-12-2018, 04:03 PM
When Walker comes back, I can't see Pop not playing him. He showed in the summer and preseason that he's clearly an NBA ready player so playing in the g league would be useless for him. At the very least, his defensive abilities should entice Pop to use him right off the bat. Assuming Pop plays him, someone is going to be the odd man out in the backcourt. Will it be Mills or Forbes? And if Walker produces like I think he will, it could potentially shake things up completely in Pop's rotation. How do all of you see the rotation moving forward?

Mills will never be out. Less minutes for Cunningham

r0drig0lac
11-12-2018, 04:15 PM
White/Mills
Forbes/Bellinelli/Walker
Derozan/Cun/Huestis (?)
Gay/Bertans
Aldridge/Gasol/Purdl

-Walker will probably end the season as one of the main rotation players (top 7-8)

SpursDynasty85
11-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Walker will likely stay in the G league until he's more ready. He hasn't shown he is ready other than some highlight plays imo. Good chance we will see him early next year though a little bit and will have to compete for time in this crowded back court.

JeffDuncan
11-12-2018, 04:34 PM
There's now an actual point guard rotation available, with White starting and Forbes coming off the bench to spell him.

Walker is an unknown. It remains to be seen how he'll look following the injury, and even if healthy how well he'll do against NBA competition, night in and night out. We'll see, I suppose.

Chinook
11-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Yeah, can't agree with this. Walker has an NBA body (at least not considering health), and some NBA skills, but he doesn't have enough skills to take advantage of his athleticism. Like he's fast and explosive, but he doesn't have the touch or coordination to be an elite finisher. He has a quick first step, but his handles as bad enough to where him driving is an adventure. He has a nice stroke, but he doesn't seem to know what a good shot is. He could plan a specific role on an NBA team now, but the d-league would totally not be useless to him. Get him down there and let him run the team for a year while he gets more skills and continues to strengthen those leg muscles. Let him come in and dominate the summer league next year and take his crack at the starting SG spot come September.

Kobe Pop
11-13-2018, 08:21 PM
Mills is my Derek Fisher. He's not going anywhere.

SpursGenius
11-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Senile hack will not play walker

Kobe'sAchilles
11-14-2018, 12:15 AM
Derrick white
Demar
Bertans
Gay
LMA

John B
11-14-2018, 12:33 AM
To me Demar needs to be the facilitator. He was beasting it earlier, him and LMA. Maybe they just played too much minutes. So however unpopular it is, I think White needs to play the Manu and bring spark in the 2nd unit.
Demar, Forbes, Dante, Gay, LMA
White, Mills, LW4, Davis, Pau
Quincy, Belli, Huestis, Metu, Poeltl

Closer:
White, Forbes, Demar, Gay, LMA

Metu and Poeltl making frequent trips to Austin

If Spurs could package Murray’s huge potential, Pau’s expiring contract and Mills championship veteran experience, for a disgruntled all-star SF, maybe Aaron Gordon, would be great.

Degoat
11-14-2018, 12:59 AM
It’ll be interesting to see what they do with Walker, obviously history would suggest he will be buried at the end of the bench or playing in the G league, but the spurs need a lot of things on this roster and hopefully Walker might be able to provide some needs

JeffDuncan
11-14-2018, 02:00 AM
When everyone available this year is healthy.....

Starting:
1 - White
2 - DDR
3 - Gay
4 - LMA
5 - Gasol

Bench:
1 - Forbes
2 - Walker
3 - Cunningham
4 - Bertans
5 - Poeltl

Fill ins:
Pondexter, Belinelli + any warm bodies
Last resort:
Mills

Yes, it sucks, but that's the team Pop built. The starters are ok, but the rest is deplorable.

Larry O
11-14-2018, 03:29 AM
Walker is a BIG question mark right now. If he wants to earn a spot in the lineup, LWIV will have to play within the system; act like he knows what he's doing on the court and play smart b-ball, but most of all, play consistent defense. His size and athleticism would be a great welcome to this team's needs, which is something that is missing. He has shown flashes of potential, but at the same time, he has some maturing and work to do to improve his skills, but he has upside with a high ceiling potential. We all know how Pop traditonally treats rooks, but if LWIV can prove Pop wrong, then we may see him on the court in the Big League, instead of the G League. I'm pulling for the guy, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Hoping for the best, though. GSG!!!

Jsmoothexpress
11-14-2018, 03:47 AM
When everyone available this year is healthy.....

Starting:
1 - White
2 - DDR
3 - Gay
4 - LMA
5 - Gasol

Bench:
1 - Forbes
2 - Walker
3 - Cunningham
4 - Bertans
5 - Poeltl

Fill ins:
Pondexter, Belinelli + any warm bodies
Last resort:
Mills

Yes, it sucks, but that's the team Pop built. The starters are ok, but the rest is deplorable.
I can see your starting lineup and bench lineup with a Cunningham for Belinelli swap.

Kurgan
11-14-2018, 05:38 AM
Scratching my head at everybody that thinks Walker will get serious playing time. Rookies hardly ever receive a significant role playing under Pop unless they have some legit star potential(Duncan, TP, Kahwi). He's likely going to spend most of his time in Austin. I don't like it but Pop has a vet hierarchy that's set in stone.

Fireball
11-14-2018, 05:41 AM
when Pop is afraid that Walker tears ligaments just by doing a crossover move he will stay on the bench

r0drig0lac
11-14-2018, 05:52 AM
Scratching my head at everybody that thinks Walker will get serious playing time. Rookies hardly ever receive a significant role playing under Pop unless they have some legit star potential(Duncan, TP, Kahwi). He's likely going to spend most of his time in Austin. I don't like it but Pop has a vet hierarchy that's set in stone.

interesting, do you think they saw potential superstar in Kawhi or was it out of necessity (RJ sucks) that he had minutes since the first moment? I see more potential in Walker now than Kawhi as a rookie (and yes, Kawhi has become a two-way legend)

this is the second season in Pop's career that we do not have a superstar (wise talent) on the roster to support the team (last season, we were a loss away from losing the playoffs),maybe he does not use the standard method with the rookies now that we no longer have Duncan, Manu, Parker and Kawhi in the team

Kurgan
11-14-2018, 06:13 AM
interesting, do you think they saw potential superstar in Kawhi or was it out of necessity (RJ sucks) that he had minutes since the first moment? I see more potential in Walker now than Kawhi as a rookie (and yes, Kawhi has become a two-way legend)

this is the second season in Pop's career that we do not have a superstar (wise talent) on the roster to support the team (last season, we were a loss away from losing the playoffs),maybe he does not use the standard method with the rookies now that we no longer have Duncan, Manu, Parker and Kawhi in the team

IIRC, Kawhi wasn't a starter from day one. Pop still pulled his vet bullshit and had RJ starting initially. It wasn't until Kawhi put together some strong performances off the bench that he earned the starting spot later in the season.

Lonnie's problem is the injury. it's already set him back when it comes to familiarity with the team. The Spurs margin for error is even narrower than it was in 2012 when Kawhi was a rookie(when they had a deep roster) so every mistake Lonnie mistake will result in Pop pulling him out of the game. Derozan's already leading the league in mpg. Very uncharacteristic of Pop who's known for giving his vets ample rest. PATFO's probably come to the realization that the roster they put together is garbage so he's leaning heavily on his stars to squeeze out every win right now. He won't have the patience to endure rookie mistakes.

TDMVPDPOY
11-14-2018, 09:55 AM
the problem is mills in any rotation..his nothing more then a fkn chucker, he cant create for others..he needs to return to that role being a spot up shooter, if the spurms are going to have DD play pointforward, same with white who is more effective with the ball in his hands, then watchin patty chuck every time he runs the ball down the court or going t hrough a screen...fck that kent...