PDA

View Full Version : Who are we drafting with the 10th pick tbh

Kobe'sAchilles
11-14-2018, 11:04 PM
I'm not one to watch college bball bc I think the zone defense and passing around for 30 seconds is a snorefest, but I might start watching to see who it is we are going to pick in the lottery. Keep in mind we have an extra pick as well which is looking like the 27th pick. What position do we draft? Can the 10th pick and the 27th pick be packaged to move up to let's say number 6 in the draft? So many possibilities! (like this getting bumped if we make the playoffs)

Robz4000
11-14-2018, 11:07 PM
Might end up being top 5 tbh.

Chinook
11-14-2018, 11:15 PM
More than who they draft honestly it's how agressively they are in the trade market either to get value out of DeRozan and Aldridge or more likely, to get out of their other contracts. The 10th-overall pick could be a starting-caliber forward, but the team can't really improve without dramatically increasing their veteran talent. Even a rookie with a 2012 Kawhi impact isn't going to make the Spurs contenders. I know that seems like a tangent, but I'm just saying that if the Spurs are a solid lottery team, they need to get rid of as many role-players as they can. They aren't a ready-made contender without better defensive players and more versatile pieces, and they shouldn't act like it. This isn't 1997 or 2011. Forbes, Mills, Bertans and Beli have to go, and they have to try to be big players in free agency for some of that elite wing talent.

sananspursfan21
11-14-2018, 11:22 PM
More than who they draft honestly it's how agressively they are in the trade market either to get value out of DeRozan and Aldridge or more likely, to get out of their other contracts. The 10th-overall pick could be a starting-caliber forward, but the team can't really improve without dramatically increasing their veteran talent. Even a rookie with a 2012 Kawhi impact isn't going to make the Spurs contenders. I know that seems like a tangent, but I'm just saying that if the Spurs are a solid lottery team, they need to get rid of as many role-players as they can. They aren't a ready-made contender without better defensive players and more versatile pieces, and they shouldn't act like it. This isn't 1997 or 2011. Forbes, Mills, Bertans and Beli have to go, and they have to try to be big players in free agency for some of that elite wing talent.

Yup. But I think some of this roster is salvageable with a trade. I dunno who would trade and for what but there’s some pieces here I think work and have some value. I like White, Derozan, LA (if he can get his swagger back), and Bryn as a backup. Belli isn’t good at all with this mix of guys. I’m done with Bertans and Poeltl. Bert should have proven himself if there was anything there and Poeltl looks to me like what you see is what you get.

SpursGenius
11-14-2018, 11:28 PM
Do you honestly think the senile coach will actually do above ? Lol

Chinook
11-14-2018, 11:29 PM
Yup. But I think some of this roster is salvageable with a trade. I dunno who would trade and for what but there’s some pieces here I think work and have some value. I like White, Derozan, LA (if he can get his swagger back), and Bryn as a backup. Belli isn’t good at all with this mix of guys. I’m done with Bertans and Poeltl. Bert should have proven himself if there was anything there and Poeltl looks to me like what you see is what you get.

It's not about them being salvageable to me. I think individually, they're all workable players. But the team needs cap space this summer to either grab a third star or at least snag a legit role-player. That means all these guys who are keeping the team over the cap have to go. Anyone who is not on a rookie deal besides LMA and DMDR should be on the block. Start from this:

Murray, White
DeRozan, Walker

______, Metu
Aldridge, Poeltl

And go from there. Use those two picks and that cap space (should be around a max slot) to fill out the roster. Stop acting like you have to work within the constraints of the cap. You aren't good enough to patch things up. Rebuild it.

Chinook
11-14-2018, 11:30 PM
Do you honestly think the senile coach will actually do above ? Lol

Not even a little bit. I don't think the Spurs are going to ever be sellers, even if they're a clear lottery team. They sure won't be sellers if they are a borderline team.

Dancelot
11-14-2018, 11:30 PM
I certainly hope so

slick'81
11-14-2018, 11:31 PM
We traded away our best assests in kawhi and an expiring green and got shit in return...any deal now to help us is going to be like pulling teeth

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Tyler Hero

objective
11-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Spurs are the ones who in the last 1.5 seasons locked up the likes of Mills, Marco, Bertans, Gasol and Forbes for at least this season and next, with a bonus 4th year for Mills

They wanted it.

They think they're smarter than everyone else locking up Gasol, Mills, Marco, Davis, etc

They're not about to trade those guys.

The only guys who might get traded are White and Walker. Especially if Walker dunks in garbage time and pump his fist and yells.

objective
11-14-2018, 11:34 PM
anyways, they can get a top 8 pick, and with a good bounce sneak into the top 4

Mugen
11-14-2018, 11:36 PM
Not even a little bit. I don't think the Spurs are going to ever be sellers, even if they're a clear lottery team. They sure won't be sellers if they are a borderline team.

Frankly, I don't even trust Drunkford to not get completely bent over again in any trade scenario tbh.

Chinook
11-14-2018, 11:39 PM
Gasol is easily the best player out of that bunch. He's overpaid, and that third season was a horrible thing to agree to, but I'm not even a little said he's on the team right now. They went all-in for shooting this off-season, though, and that's really hurt them. Should have split up their signings between shooting and defense. They didn't, and their perimeter is fucked as a result.

Chinook
11-14-2018, 11:42 PM
Frankly, I don't even trust Drunkford to not get completely bent over again in any trade scenario tbh.

"The San Antonio Spurs have agreed to trade the first-overall pick to Toronto in exchange for a future pick. The Spurs are also sending cash considerations in the deal."

timtonymanu
11-14-2018, 11:43 PM
Draft and stash

Mugen
11-14-2018, 11:44 PM
"The San Antonio Spurs have agreed to trade the first-overall pick to Toronto in exchange for a future pick. The Spurs are also sending cash considerations in the deal."

I wonder if Jakob has a brother that's even worse at basketball.

Chinook
11-14-2018, 11:47 PM
I wonder if Jakob has a brother that's even worse at basketball.

That's be hard to believe unless the dude just doesn't have legs or something.

objective
11-14-2018, 11:56 PM
Gasol is easily the best player out of that bunch. He's overpaid, and that third season was a horrible thing to agree to, but I'm not even a little said he's on the team right now. They went all-in for shooting this off-season, though, and that's really hurt them. Should have split up their signings between shooting and defense. They didn't, and their perimeter is fucked as a result.

Gasol is already 38, breaking down after a long summer off, and was clearly on his way to where he is now, 4th most minutes among active players, top 30 all time

This season should have been the partial guarantee parting gift. So damn overpaid and even if the Spurs were contenders couldn't even stay on the court against GS

---

I still can't understand how Marco, the guy who nobody would give Atlanta a second round pick for, somehow got a two year deal at the same money he was getting before.

SpursGenius
11-14-2018, 11:57 PM
It's not about them being salvageable to me. I think individually, they're all workable players. But the team needs cap space this summer to either grab a third star or at least snag a legit role-player. That means all these guys who are keeping the team over the cap have to go. Anyone who is not on a rookie deal besides LMA and DMDR should be on the block. Start from this:

Murray, White
DeRozan, Walker

______, Metu
Aldridge, Poeltl

And go from there. Use those two picks and that cap space (should be around a max slot) to fill out the roster. Stop acting like you have to work within the constraints of the cap. You aren't good enough to patch things up. Rebuild it.

Patfo are dumbasses. They would never do this. pop wants his cock sucked by those reject role players. It’s corporate knowledge of sucking cock.

sasaint
11-14-2018, 11:59 PM

Murray, White
DeRozan, Walker

______, Metu
Aldridge, Poeltl

This team has too many holes to go for a 3rd star. It would be better to get two legit starters.

BackHome
11-15-2018, 12:01 AM
Keep:
LMA
Derozz
Murray
White
Metu
Walker

Maybe:
Rudy

Trade:
Bertans
Forbes
Mills
Poodle
Gasol

Let go:
Poindexter
Cunnigham

Sign:
Nikola

sasaint
11-15-2018, 12:02 AM

This. But it's not Drunkford; Pop is his boss. Those two are long past their expiration dates.

Chinook
11-15-2018, 12:02 AM
This team has too many holes to go for a 3rd star. It would be better to get two legit starters.

You're talking about that plus a lottery pick. They'd work fine, especially since they'd be a bandwagon team with a third star.

Mirrornick
11-15-2018, 12:04 AM
The thought of Zion Williamson in a Spurs uniform is intriguing. He is without a doubt a special force of nature.

sasaint
11-15-2018, 12:05 AM
You're talking about that plus a lottery pick. They'd work fine, especially since they'd be a bandwagon team with a third star.

I don't know how cap space affects this issue, but I would hope to unload so many of the current roster that we not only need two starters and 2 1sts (1 lotto), but we would still need some warm bodies to fill out the roster.

Kobe'sAchilles
11-15-2018, 12:11 AM
Realistically though, who can they go after? Who is even out there? We need a big man badly and a 3 and D SF. I assume we could draft the SF but Idk where to get a smart savy big man who can play decent D and not be a liability on offense. Is Sabonis due for a payday? Bc i wouldn't mind us getting him.

SouthTexasRancher
11-15-2018, 12:19 AM
Hopefully, someone who can find the net and defend against the opposing player.

Blackhaus
11-15-2018, 12:32 AM
Bol Bol at 10th, tank time

JeffDuncan
11-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Keep:
LMA
Derozz
Murray
White
Metu
Walker

Maybe:
Rudy

Trade:
Bertans
Forbes
Mills
Poodle
Gasol

Let go:
Poindexter
Cunnigham

Sign:
Nikola

Only DDR and Murray are known keepers. Everything else should be on the table. Blow it up!

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2018, 12:36 AM
Pop would bench Zion or Bol the moment after a dunk and scream:lol

:pop: Marco, get in there and show them Spurs culture!!

Chinook
11-15-2018, 12:40 AM

I bet you that when Pop heard the Raps wanted Green, he legit thought it was a steal because he could just replace Danny with Marco in free agency.

Mirrornick
11-15-2018, 12:48 AM

I don't get the term here. Why does pop hate dunking when that is considered to be the best efficient basket made

Chinook
11-15-2018, 01:03 AM
I don't get the term here. Why does pop hate dunking when that is considered to be the best efficient basket made

Pop's terrified with other teams hating the Spurs/getting an edge against them. So anything remotely show-boaty like dunks, trash-talk or celebrations often seem to draw his ire. He's not going to actually bench a guy for dunking, but a guy who dunks and screams is probably going to get a talking to, especially if they have a shallow skill-set such as Dewayne Dedmon or Jonathon Simmons.

JeffDuncan
11-15-2018, 01:05 AM

It's an old running gag here. I forget how it started.

tbdog
11-15-2018, 01:12 AM
As I have said, this team was built pre trade. Post trade, the team is highly imbalanced. These early struggles must force Buford to look for a trade for balance reasons.

TheGreatYacht
11-15-2018, 02:18 AM
Rebuilding when your stars are currently 33 and 29 years old....

PATFO really shat in their diapers :lmao

objective
11-15-2018, 02:28 AM
I still can't believe that there are no legit small forwards on the roster.

And the Spurs signing 30+ year old scrubs like Cunningham and Pondexter on one year deals don't count.

The Spurs should be churning through every semi-credibly sized SF candidate from the g-league that isn't already past him prime.

Pondexter and Cunningham are the type of signings for a contender that just wants insurance policies of guys who have experience.

r0drig0lac
11-15-2018, 06:28 AM
lol 10th, try 5th

and people thinking that Pop will trade their pet dwarf are delirious

RC_Drunkford
11-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Like I been saying all season: They need to create cap room for next season and thus have to get rid of Mills 100%. I don't know how many games they have to lose for Pop to realize this. I guess once he realizes they won't make the Playoffs he'll try to make a move and will probably trade the wrong player. Mills for Wilson Chandler makes a ton of sense for both Spurs and Philly. Bertans and Belinelli are easy to move next offseason and I think even dealing Poeltl could bring back something valuable. Gasol is also not an issue. Trading Mills is really the key to improving the team, but I doubt they would do that during mid-season when he is starring in all those HEB commercials.
With cap room they could go for players like Millsap, Stanley Johnson, Danny Green or even Avery Bradley (for cheap as he has fallen off a cliff and could be one of those reclamation projects). Maybe one day when this team has a record of 10-25 Pop will finally realize he has to make a trade. I would not bet on it though

Big Empty
11-15-2018, 09:00 AM
#Zion watch 2019

SAGirl
11-15-2018, 09:39 AM
I feel like they will not lose enough to get a great pick.

Pop doesn’t want to tank and when he has Rudy, Lonnie and Gasol back he’s going to make an effort to gain spots in the standings. I just feel like they will play better sometimes. Their shooters will get the ocasional hot streak. They will be just good enough to not get a great pick, and get enough hope when healthy to still stand pat and not be opportunistic with trades which is Chinook’s scenario, which I also like.

They will end up in the worse scenario: Mediocre pick in the teens where they have to gamble and maybe get a potential good player that got knocked down bc he’s risky with the injuries (like Lonnie, or worse). Or pick a guy who is a total gamble who may pan out somewhere down the stretch, but who will not really be a difference maker during the time the Spurs stars are in their prime, and still saddled with contracts to roleplayers who aren’t carrying their weight (some old, some injury prone, others not good enough, all bad combinations).

Chillen
11-15-2018, 09:52 AM
If Spurs miss playoffs they are definitely going to get a top 5 draft pick. They haven't missed the playoffs in like almost 2 decades so they haven't had a high draft pick.

I don't think they want to miss the playoffs though.

SAGirl
11-15-2018, 10:01 AM
The Spurs should be churning through every semi-credibly sized SF candidate from the g-league that isn't already past him prime.

Pondexter and Cunningham are the type of signings for a contender that just wants insurance policies of guys who have experience.
:tu

r0drig0lac
11-15-2018, 10:20 AM
:tu

I would have given Shabazz a chance (before he went to China), he's size for an SF and he can create his own shot (he had good numbers in Milwaukee)

maybe people will believe that he is a low qi player (as they did with Rudy before he came to SA), and maybe he really is just that, but at least he has some hustle and athletics, unlike the low qi and unatletic players that we have currently

iGetbuckets
11-15-2018, 10:39 AM
I like Deandre Hunter

have no no idea where’s he’s projected to go tho

acoelho1
11-15-2018, 10:57 AM
We need to look at this as a 2 to 3 year strategy to start building a more versatile roster and it begins this year. I think struggling would actually push Pop to move some of these players. First, I would definitely put LMA on the block, which I've never liked our offense since he's been a Spur and he will continue to diminish each year. DDR is keeper although, he cannot be the #1 option. Murray will drastically improve our defense next year and hopefully have even a better jump shot than he showed in preseason. Walker if he can stay healthy, showed he can be electric with the ball although small sample size. I do love his size and he has picture perfect jump shot which should improve under the Spurs. We should have a lottery pick and we desperately need a versatile wing or big man. I do like Metu but he's got a long way to go.

Looking at the 2019-2010 free agent class, I would love Anthony Davis and/or Draymond but that's not going to happen. Same for Durant & Thompson. No one else seems that appetizing unless you like Wilson Chandler or Gallinari. Therefore, are free agency strategy will depend on how White, Walker and especially Murray develop. When Spurs realized they had a star in Kawhi, they altered their timeline and I'm assuming they first need to see what we have first, which may require a 2 to 3 year slog.

TheGreatYacht
11-15-2018, 11:08 AM
PATFO cock suckers think we're tanking? :lmao

This roster was constructed to be competitive and make the playoffs. Their centerpieces are 33, 32, and 29 years old. If the strategy was to tank then Drunkford is more clueless that I thought. Y'all can use Lonnie Walker's and White's injuries for all I care. Walker was never going to see playing time. Rookies never do and he stunk it up in the summer league. Derrick White is having the impact of a wet fart and is a horrible fit with DDR and LMA. Murray may be missed, but let's not forget the team had a .500 record when he started last season. Would those high scoring games this season have happened with him starting? Doubt it.

Bottom line: Senile PATFO have no idea what they're doing and their ass wipers should be IP banned.

rjv
11-15-2018, 11:09 AM

rjv
11-15-2018, 11:11 AM

i'd say gasol and mills for sure have to go, in terms of what they offer and how much cap-space they tie up. i'd be okay with letting go of forbes and bertans as well.

rjv
11-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Pop's terrified with other teams hating the Spurs/getting an edge against them. So anything remotely show-boaty like dunks, trash-talk or celebrations often seem to draw his ire. He's not going to actually bench a guy for dunking, but a guy who dunks and screams is probably going to get a talking to, especially if they have a shallow skill-set such as Dewayne Dedmon or Jonathon Simmons.

that just seems like a speculative inference. there could be a myriad of reasons as to why pop isn't a fan of showboating.

r0drig0lac
11-15-2018, 11:20 AM
PATFO cock suckers think we're tanking? :lmao

This roster was constructed to be competitive and make the playoffs. Their centerpieces are 33, 32, and 29 years old. If the strategy was to tank then Drunkford is more clueless that I thought. Y'all can use Lonnie Walker's and White's injuries for all I care. Walker was never going to see playing time. Rookies never do and he stunk it up in the summer league. Derrick White is having the impact of a wet fart and is a horrible fit with DDR and LMA. Murray may be missed, but let's not forget the team had a .500 record when he started last season. Would those high scoring games this season have happened with him starting? Doubt it.

Bottom line: Senile PATFO have no idea what they're doing and their ass wipers should be IP banned.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Kurgan
11-15-2018, 11:26 AM

Anyone else remember Pop screaming his head off at Elson for draining a three during a playoff game? I think the Spurs were blowing out the opponent at the time and Pop thought it wasn't very sportsmanlike to run up the score like that lol

Chinook
11-15-2018, 11:30 AM
that just seems like a speculative inference. there could be a myriad of reasons as to why pop isn't a fan of showboating.

That could be, but look at the way Pop tries to be friends with everyone. He clearly cares about how much the NBA community likes him. It's either a conceit of his or a competitive advantage. I think it's the latter, because Tim, Kawhi and Green were all defenders who didn't try to use chippy play to get in opponents' heads. The way they got their edge is by being cool and business-like. It was almost a cold, calculated way of guarding a guy, like they're shutting you down, but it's not a big deal to them. It's really hard for some people to feel motivated to go at defender who doesn't do anything antagonistic. It would be like being pissed at a wall for blocking your way as opposed to a security guard.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Pop's built a team based around the least efficient shot in basketball. The 20 foot jumper. He doesn't care for efficiency

Chinook
11-15-2018, 11:31 AM
i'd say gasol and mills for sure have to go, in terms of what they offer and how much cap-space they tie up. i'd be okay with letting go of forbes and bertans as well.

How can you watch Poe be complete shit and still think getting rid of Gasol is a priority? It can be a lot worse than Pau. The last third-string backup centers should tell you that.

Chinook
11-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Anyone else remember Pop screaming his head off at Elson for draining a three during a playoff game? I think the Spurs were blowing out the opponent at the time and Pop thought it wasn't very sportsmanlike to run up the score like that lol

Yeah. Especially if it's a friend of his on the other side, he'll often have his team take the 24-second violation to end the game rather than getting up a shot.

rjv
11-15-2018, 11:56 AM
How can you watch Poe be complete shit and still think getting rid of Gasol is a priority? It can be a lot worse than Pau. The last third-string backup centers should tell you that.

gasol is necessary this year because of spacing and his absence has been underrated this past week but if the team is going to start a rebuild it needs to do so by adding not just a players via the draft while hoping the current young crop yields an all-star or two. the team will have to add a veteran all-star as well and gasol's cap is still going to count, even if not as much, next season. now, i'm not sure anyone takes him but i would be fine with it. and i agree that poe is garbage.