PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Suns - Nov. 14, 2018

timvp
11-15-2018, 02:51 AM
https://i.imgur.com/hWOwhIF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YpcS6Op.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lQJiptJ.jpg

Welp, this road trip hasn't gone as planned. The Spurs were thoroughly dismantled by a Suns team that entered the contest with a 2-11 record.

The 116-96 final score doesn't even tell the whole story about how bad it was for the good guys. Phoenix sprinted to an early 19-point lead. After San Antonio caught up, the Suns proceeded to blow the Spurs out again -- leaving now doubt which team was better.

The Spurs are now 7-6 and have lost four of their last five games.

-------------

LaMarcus Aldridge
https://i.imgur.com/1nluyNF.png
This was just a really poor effort from LaMarcus Aldridge. He was handily outplayed by Deandre Ayton. To make matters worse, Aldridge seemed satisfied simply going through the motions. On offense, he connected on only one of his first ten shots from the field. His passing was late and off-target, as has been the case recently (he has one assist in his last 135 minutes). Defensively, he was extremely slow to help out on the perimeter and also didn't put up much of a fight in the paint, either. The only thing keeping Aldridge from an F would be his better than average work on the boards.
Grade: D-
Summary: Aldridge laid and egg.

-------------

DeMar DeRozan
https://i.imgur.com/ZKxGADZ.png
On offense, I thought DeMar DeRozan was fine. He looked comfortable for the first time since Derrick White's return. He consistently attacked, cut down on his mistakes, created plays for others and paraded to the charity stripe. Defense was where DeRozan was sub par tonight. He was slow-footed and allowed constant penetration. His help defense was a couple steps slow. DeRozan has been pretty decent at times defensively this season . . . but that was not the case against Phoenix.
Grade: B-
Summary: DeRozan played well enough on offense but struggled on the other end.

-------------

Derrick White
https://i.imgur.com/IrTA2dV.png
Derrick White got some trash buckets at the end of the game to help camouflage what was a really underwhelming performance. Defensively, his closeouts on shooters were slow and his on-ball intensity was inconsistent. Offensively, he was much too hesitant in the first half. And while he had a few nifty dishes, he was too sloppy with the ball and was usually slow to get the Spurs into their sets.
Grade: D+
Summary: White needs to prove that his performance against the Rockets wasn't an outlier.

-------------

Bryn Forbes
https://i.imgur.com/yXVIEAs.png
While Bryn Forbes was far from great, he played relatively well. I thought his on-ball defense was solid for the most part and his attention to detail on that end was better than usual. He pressured without fouling and rotated quicker than his teammates. On offense, he was aggressive looking for is own shot. The Suns had to account for him at all times, which helped open driving lanes.
Grade: B+
Summary: You can't blame Forbes for this loss.

-------------

Dante Cunningham
https://i.imgur.com/W3QWUCI.png
Dante Cunningham's hustle was commendable. But, again, that was about the extent of his contributions. I don't think his defense was actually that good outside of his hustle plays. He wasn't contesting three-pointers well and he was slow to rotate more often than not. Offensively, his presence continues to muck things up. It's difficult to score on the NBA level, especially with today's rules, when you're going 4-on-5.
Grade: C-
Summary: Cunningham had a few hustle plays. Nothing else.

-------------

Marco Belinelli
https://i.imgur.com/hP9vIFY.png
Compared to last game, Marco Belinelli was better. Unfortunately, that's not saying much. Last game, he was too listless. Tonight, Belinelli's activity level was back to normal but he struggled to convert his activity into positive basketball plays. He missed more shots; Belinelli is shooting 30.6 percent over his last four games and 38.2 percent for the season. Defensively, he had a few good possessions but overall he was par at best.
Grade: C
Summary: Belinelli isn't providing the bench spark the Spurs need.

-------------

Patty Mills
https://i.imgur.com/gTa4B5z.png
I don't have much to complain about regarding Patty Mills. On defense, he was active and swiped three of the team's seven steals. Mills was one of the few Spurs who appeared to be locked in on his defensive responsibilities. On offense, he was good enough. Mills passed the ball better than usual and hit all four of his shots from two-point range.
Grade: B+
Summary: In his 21 minutes, Mills had a pulse. On this night, that was notable.

-------------

Jakob Poeltl
https://i.imgur.com/FUIlW00.png
Better? Not really. Jakob Poeltl impacted the box score more than usual but I struggle to point to many highlights. He rebounded pretty well but also gave up a few rebounds he should have corralled. He had a couple blocks but also had a few horrendous non-rotations that left the lane wide open. He had a season-high in points but also had some of the softest attempts around the rim that you'll ever witness. I guess the silver lining was Poeltl was more active than usual -- even though a lot of that activity ended poorly.
Summary: Poeltl didn't have the breakout performance his numbers may suggest.

-------------

Davis Bertans
https://i.imgur.com/ucY2jSF.png
Davis Bertans' main flaw is making him difficult to play: his atrocious work on the defensive glass. He just sucks at all facets of rebounding, to put it bluntly. He can't box out. He's slow to react to the ball hitting the rim. And then he somehow can't even grab the ball when it's within his grasp. Against the Suns, his rotations were slower than usual and he wasn't as mentally engaged as he'd been in recent affairs. Offensively, he missed both of his perimeter shots and didn't help out in any other area.
Summary: Bertans' inability to rebound on the defensive end is getting on Pop's last nerve.

-------------

Quincy Pondexter
https://i.imgur.com/loUbrtn.png
Quincy Pondexter entered the game for defensive purposes. It didn't work. His best defensive play was on the offensive end when he intercepted a pass that would have resulted in a Forbes three-point attempt. Whoops.
Grade: Inc.
Summary: The coaches turned to Pondexter for defense but the Suns didn't slow down.

-------------

Pop
https://i.imgur.com/x7B1It7.jpg
I keep harping on it but it's becoming more and more obvious: the starting lineup is broken. Cunningham just isn't a threat on the offensive end and it's making life too difficult for the other four players. And it's not like Cunningham is Bruce Bowen on the defensive end. In fact, he's a below average defender who masks his deficiencies a bit by hustling and being physical. It has also become clear that Pop needs to do a better job of staggering DeRozan and White. Those are the only two playmakers on the team so one should always be on the court.
Summary: Pop's mistakes begin with the starting lineup and trickle down from there.

Looking ahead: The Spurs now face a back-to-back in Los Angeles against the Clippers. Considering how bad the Spurs looked in their first back-to-back this season, this will be a tough contest. Oh, and the Clips have won six straight games at home, including victories over the Warriors, Bucks, T'Wolves, Thunder and Rockets.

A win could partly salvage this road trip but don't count on it.

phxspurfan
11-15-2018, 03:02 AM
Are our heroes the worst team in the West?

http://www.nba.com/standings#/

MoSpur02
11-15-2018, 03:04 AM
They lost four of the last five to games. Rudy Gay has only played in one of the last five. Hmm...

This team needs to have a starting lineup of White, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, & Aldridge. Maybe Poeltl, Aldridge, Gay, DeRozan, and White. Not sure if that's possible because of Gay's health. I believe this team is better when Gay starts.

Marco still sucks and Aldridge doesn't look motivated overall this season.

spurs10
11-15-2018, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the grades. This was a rough night and one of the worst games I've witnessed in a long time. At one point in the 3rd and into the 4th it seemed we turned the ball over, made horrible shots, and got beaten in every way on every possesion. I'll be watching tomorrow, but don't have my hopes up high.

Spursfanfromafar
11-15-2018, 03:43 AM
In the last 19 years of following the Spurs, I have never felt that the squad won't make the playoffs, even in the late 2000s when Manu was injured badly and Duncan was going through a rough patch. I guess this is looking as the year when the Spurs project finally fell short. A remarkable and unprecedented run in competitive sports, but it looks like it is over. This squad is poor in defense and tries to make up with effort. It has severe limitations in offense (playmaking, primitive way of scoring, three point weakness). It seems over. Sadly :(. Unless, the Spurs get someone like Ariza through a waiver later in the season or steal someone via trade.. this seems a lost cause. And I bought league pass for this :(

TimDunkem
11-15-2018, 03:49 AM
In the last 19 years of following the Spurs, I have never felt that the squad won't make the playoffs, even in the late 2000s when Manu was injured badly and Duncan was going through a rough patch. I guess this is looking as the year when the Spurs project finally fell short. A remarkable and unprecedented run in competitive sports, but it looks like it is over. This squad is poor in defense and tries to make up with effort. It has severe limitations in offense (playmaking, primitive way of scoring, three point weakness). It seems over. Sadly :(. Unless, the Spurs get someone like Ariza through a waiver later in the season or steal someone via trade.. this seems a lost cause. And I bought league pass for this :(

19 years of Spurs viewership and you thought this team was good. :lmao

phxspurfan
11-15-2018, 03:50 AM
I bought league pass for this :(

Dude, relax, you get to watch all the new HEB commercials with Forbes in them

JeffDuncan
11-15-2018, 05:41 AM
Thanks, timvp, for once again going above and beyond the call of duty.

I'm thinking you're right about DDR and White. Maybe, give DDR the start at the point - if he wants it - then bring White off the bench at pg. It would also give the chance to separate Forbes and Mills. Put Forbes with DDR, and Mills with White, as the shooting guard. Worth a try.

vavvi
11-15-2018, 06:39 AM
It was a disgrace. One of the most painful to watch games over the last 15 years or so. No effort, no skill and no execution on either side. Hopefully they are ashamed of themselves

Hoops Czar
11-15-2018, 06:47 AM
It was a disgrace. One of the most painful to watch games over the last 15 years or so. No effort, no skill and no execution on either side. Hopefully they are ashamed of themselves
Was it more painful than getting blown out at home by the hapless Magic? Was it more painful than getting bitchslapped by Miami missing five rotation players? Was it more painful than losing to the Sacramento Kings? I don't know, man. it seems this team is going to find new ways to disappoint all season long.

vavvi
11-15-2018, 06:48 AM

If Ariza is available later in the season, why the hell will he go to the Spurs? He'll go to the contender or perceived contender like Philly

vavvi
11-15-2018, 06:55 AM
Was it more painful than getting blown out at home by the hapless Magic? Was it more painful than getting bitchslapped by Miami missing five rotation players? Was it more painful than losing to the Sacramento Kings? I don't know, man. it seems this team is going to find new ways to disappoint all season long.

Yeah, it was much worse because Suns are trash and played like trash; one of the worst if not the worst team in the league (maybe tied with Atlanta). Magic killed us with 3 point shooting, they just caught fire early. Sacramento game at least was somehow entertaining going back and forth until we showed our crunch-time magic. In Miami Whiteside decided to have a career night. But here Phoenix was ready to present us the win as a tanking team should, especially without their veteran and best defender.

vavvi
11-15-2018, 06:57 AM
Timvp, thanks for the grades! Enjoyable read as always! But this time you were too generous ((

venitian navigator
11-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Thanks TIMVP. I also think this time you've been too generous...in a 20 point loss agaist the worst team in the league any player's vote cannot be more than a d...except some peculiar and notable case. In this game I frankly don't see such case...

r0drig0lac
11-15-2018, 07:23 AM
"It's difficult to score on the NBA level, especially with today's rules, when you're going 4-on-5."
spurs played 1-on-5 this night

Philthemage
11-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the write up. Was gonna watch the whole reply of the game but think I'll skip that...

TrainOfThought5
11-15-2018, 07:26 AM
So this is what being a fan of a mediocre basketball team is like.....

:depressed

Jay.From.NbTx
11-15-2018, 07:59 AM
Sad time to be a Spurs fan tbh ...
wouldn’t mind shaking up the roster a bit

TDMVPDPOY
11-15-2018, 08:02 AM
still not late to tank

Kobe'sAchilles
11-15-2018, 08:38 AM
We might end up tanking without meaning to tbh. Getting a top 5 pick to play with LMA and DDR?? CIA pop :wow

Sportsgodd44
11-15-2018, 08:53 AM
NBA UPDATED POWER RANKINGS Spurs #25 and falling

sasaint
11-15-2018, 09:16 AM

Mediocre? Heck, this team is not that good. This team is just bad.

Maddog
11-15-2018, 09:58 AM
I'm officially concerned about LMA.
After a great year he has looked very pedestrian.
Hurt? Out of shape? Other?
Rebounds are decent

venitian navigator
11-15-2018, 10:12 AM
NBA UPDATED POWER RANKINGS Spurs #25 and falling

link?

baseline bum
11-15-2018, 10:40 AM
I'm officially concerned about LMA.
After a great year he has looked very pedestrian.
Hurt? Out of shape? Other?
Rebounds are decent

That's what second option Aldridge looks like.

baseline bum
11-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Pretty much. Some nights they'll look great (eg the New Orleans game) and then others they'll get destroyed by a seemingly weaker team. Inconsistency is the hallmark of mediocre teams.

iGetbuckets
11-15-2018, 10:45 AM
We might end up tanking without meaning to tbh. Getting a top 5 pick to play with LMA and DDR?? CIA pop :wow

Dont be fooled . His old ass believes he can coach any team to a top seed

rjv
11-15-2018, 11:03 AM
not a good sign when patty mills has been the consistent source of hustle for the team. and rudy gay is evidently far more important to this team than i would have thought. i expect things to get even worse here pretty soon. is it too soon to start tanking?

Chinook
11-15-2018, 11:24 AM
t has also become clear that Pop needs to do a better job of staggering DeRozan and White. Those are the only two playmakers on the team so one should always be on the court.

He's not staggering them at all. White is leaving the game while DeRozan is still playing and coming in when the rest of the starters return. It's like Pop WANTS the Forbes/Mills combo and has to be convinced to not use it. It's not surprising that DeRozan and White can both seem to be on track at once. To update the trends, White has played 85/101 minutes with DeRozan. That's actually a decrease compared to the last report, but most of that has to do with the garbage time that the team had to end the game. I really just don't know what Pop wants from White. It's been clear for a few years that Pop has been trying to create a multi-PG offense where you have guys attacking from multiple positions and being able to play off each other. He wanted that to be the Kidd/Parker back court in 2003, for example. More recently, Pop ran with Parker/Ford in 2012 and the Joseph/Neal/De Colo lineups in 2013. He also pursued Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving and was rumored to be interested in Conley knowing full well he intended to keep Parker at PG. Finally, even last year, Pop ran Mills/Murray at the earliest opportunity.

On paper, the idea of White and DeRozan sharing the play-making load seems great. But DeRozan is not an off-ball player, and White hasn't been shooting well either. Moreover, the two don't seem to have any chemistry with each other to determine who gets what possession. DeMar is a better scorer and play-maker, but I think White is a better PG. That makes it hard to see who should be the lead facilitator. The easy answer to this is that they can stagger them to have both, but Pop seems completely unable to start a guy without playing him almost exclusively against starters. We had a tweet the other day that bragged on Pop keeping one of the team's top-four players on the court at once. Like that was an accomplishment. You're talking about a quartet that averages 124 mpg. It'd be a bigger accomplishment to find minutes where none of those guys are on the floor. With those minutes, Pop should be able to keep two on the court at all times, and as White plays more minutes, that should be even easier.

John B
11-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. This was a hard pill to swallow and don't even know where to begin. I agree Demar and White's minutes need to be staggered. I thought Demar was beasting it earlier in the season with the primary facilitator. Why fix if it's not broken? White should play off the bench, bring spark and continue the flow on the 2nd unit. LMA also needs to be hungry. Last year he got fed over and over and delivered being the only one that the Spurs could count on. Bellinelli is just an awful shot when things are not going their way. I cringe every time he curls and make those 3 shots moving. But I guess shooters just need to shoot to open up the lanes, except the guards are not long and athletic enough to transition defense, and ends up with demoralizing dunks at the other side.

polandprzem
11-15-2018, 11:45 AM
0 pts are above average score
16 pts are below average score

Such inconsistent grades ... Considering all other aspects. Not just points which I mentioned as an example.

Overall though - it's a good read

SPURt
11-15-2018, 12:08 PM
I was at this game. Easily the worst game I’ve ever seen live. There’s a lot to critique but I put it all on Aldridge, his slow start set the tone for the game. He’s been a shell of himself, it feels like he’s doing the Shaq get in shape during the season approach. The only bright spot of the game was listening to a drunk Spurs fan yell “pussy” every time LMA touched the ball. At least I wasn’t alone in my pain.

thanks for the grades.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-15-2018, 12:15 PM
I was at this game. Easily the worst game I’ve ever seen live. There’s a lot to critique but I put it all on Aldridge, his slow start set the tone for the game. He’s been a shell of himself, it feels like he’s doing the Shaq get in shape during the season approach. The only bright spot of the game was listening to a drunk Spurs fan yell “pussy” every time LMA touched the ball. At least I wasn’t alone in my pain.

thanks for the grades.

:lol

DAF86
11-15-2018, 12:54 PM
He's not staggering them at all. White is leaving the game while DeRozan is still playing and coming in when the rest of the starters return. It's like Pop WANTS the Forbes/Mills combo and has to be convinced to not use it. It's not surprising that DeRozan and White can both seem to be on track at once. To update the trends, White has played 85/101 minutes with DeRozan. That's actually a decrease compared to the last report, but most of that has to do with the garbage time that the team had to end the game. I really just don't know what Pop wants from White. It's been clear for a few years that Pop has been trying to create a multi-PG offense where you have guys attacking from multiple positions and being able to play off each other. He wanted that to be the Kidd/Parker back court in 2003, for example. More recently, Pop ran with Parker/Ford in 2012 and the Joseph/Neal/De Colo lineups in 2013. He also pursued Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving and was rumored to be interested in Conley knowing full well he intended to keep Parker at PG. Finally, even last year, Pop ran Mills/Murray at the earliest opportunity.

On paper, the idea of White and DeRozan sharing the play-making load seems great. But DeRozan is not an off-ball player, and White hasn't been shooting well either. Moreover, the two don't seem to have any chemistry with each other to determine who gets what possession. DeMar is a better scorer and play-maker, but I think White is a better PG. That makes it hard to see who should be the lead facilitator. The easy answer to this is that they can stagger them to have both, but Pop seems completely unable to start a guy without playing him almost exclusively against starters. We had a tweet the other day that bragged on Pop keeping one of the team's top-four players on the court at once. Like that was an accomplishment. You're talking about a quartet that averages 124 mpg. It'd be a bigger accomplishment to find minutes where none of those guys are on the floor. With those minutes, Pop should be able to keep two on the court at all times, and as White plays more minutes, that should be even easier.

It really boggles my mind that the guy that would sub Manu at the 6 minutes mark to have him come back when Tony and Duncan would sit, can't seem to do anything else than swap the entire starting and bench units at once nowadays.

Mugen
11-15-2018, 01:37 PM
:lol Staggering White and DD is BASIC. Like that's a coaching move Becky can throw out there. So is knowing not to play a lineup of Patty/Forbes/Beli/QPon/Poetl . That is basic, basic coaching that any of the fatties on this board could come up with....

But it's a concept completely lost on the old man. He probably thinks he's trying to build up the bench by throwing them into the fire, at least I hope so. That might not even the case anymore since Pop is so out of touch. Still, you can't afford to be throwing away games to the likes of Orlando, Sacramento, and Phoenix because arrogance is driving your rotations.

Such a joke.

Coach X
11-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Thanks timvp.

I wouldn't be that nice assessing the good guys. Not only yesterday but over the last games:

DeRozan is starting to show signs of the bad defense name that preceded him. He often loses sight of his man, allowing cuts. He doesn't have the good habit of helping out inside against penetrations. His on-ball defense is OK in both isos and p&r situations but he's not quick and crafty enough closing out. Looks like he's trying to do it all and he did better at the beginning of the season, but lately he's losing his focus.

LaMarcus Aldridge doesn't look in good shape to me. It's not about conditioning but about general quickness. In contrast to last season, his defensive versatility is gone. He's losing every consecutive effort under the boards and he's 0.5 seconds late in every defensive action and attacking in the post. His mid range shot has regressed to 2016/17: no touch, no confidence. And his lift isn't here either. I see LA pushing and working but looks like the summer homework hasn't been done.

Marco's performance is really disappointing. We knew he wasn't helping in D but we expected him to make his shots. He's having good opportunities but his % are bad.

Gay is not as healthy as needed. Desperately needed.

White is learning by doing, Mills is doing what he can do and Forbes is playing much better than expected but that doesn't mean that this is good enough for 65' of guard rotation in a playoff team.

Cunningham can be useful guarding all-star forwards but in a different situation, his poor offensive game subtracts from the team more than what he adds.

Poetl is way softer than expected. He touches but doesn't grab a lot of rebounds. He's not protecting our rim at all when that is his #1 duty. He isn't either looking well defending away from the paint. Offensively he has played 1 decent game of the 13 the team has played. I'd be patient if he was showing more fight on the court.

Gasol is having a good year with his 15' coming off the bench. Salary doesn't match his on-court relevance and there is no cheap contract that balances this situation.

Pondexter looks too old and Metu too inexperienced.

Pop had a good start of the season but his team is losing more and more games and playing worse as the season advances.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-15-2018, 07:37 PM
If Aldridge can't play with a second star he needs to be traded to an also-ran team so he can thrive. He looked sad as fvck last night. It pisses me off how he refuses to be a complimentary player...didn't TD teach him anything?? Timmy was a force even when he was the 4th option on offense late in his career.

It's also obvious this team needs a floor general. Losing Murray and not having a credible backup is really hurting this team. White is awful right now with the exception of 1 decent game. The Spurs looked directionless if DeRozan wasn't creating for himself.

Yuck.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-15-2018, 07:41 PM
We need to go back to running it all through DeRozan and put the designated point guard off ball. We're better just letting Forbes be out there as a shooter, rather than White fumbling around like a high schooler. Our best distributor, sadly, is Gasol.

SAGirl
11-15-2018, 07:52 PM
Thanks timvp.

I wouldn't be that nice assessing the good guys. Not only yesterday but over the last games:

DeRozan is starting to show signs of the bad defense name that preceded him. He often loses sight of his man, allowing cuts. He doesn't have the good habit of helping out inside against penetrations. His on-ball defense is OK in both isos and p&r situations but he's not quick and crafty enough closing out. Looks like he's trying to do it all and he did better at the beginning of the season, but lately he's losing his focus.

LaMarcus Aldridge doesn't look in good shape to me. It's not about conditioning but about general quickness. In contrast to last season, his defensive versatility is gone. He's losing every consecutive effort under the boards and he's 0.5 seconds late in every defensive action and attacking in the post. His mid range shot has regressed to 2016/17: no touch, no confidence. And his lift isn't here either. I see LA pushing and working but looks like the summer homework hasn't been done.

Marco's performance is really disappointing. We knew he wasn't helping in D but we expected him to make his shots. He's having good opportunities but his % are bad.

Gay is not as healthy as needed. Desperately needed.

White is learning by doing, Mills is doing what he can do and Forbes is playing much better than expected but that doesn't mean that this is good enough for 65' of guard rotation in a playoff team.

Cunningham can be useful guarding all-star forwards but in a different situation, his poor offensive game subtracts from the team more than what he adds.

Poetl is way softer than expected. He touches but doesn't grab a lot of rebounds. He's not protecting our rim at all when that is his #1 duty. He isn't either looking well defending away from the paint. Offensively he has played 1 decent game of the 13 the team has played. I'd be patient if he was showing more fight on the court.

Gasol is having a good year with his 15' coming off the bench. Salary doesn't match his on-court relevance and there is no cheap contract that balances this situation.

Pondexter looks too old and Metu too inexperienced.

Pop had a good start of the season but his team is losing more and more games and playing worse as the season advances.

Good reviews coach.

I appreciate timvp's efforts, my only real complaint is that I do feel he is too generous most of the time and somehow his grades don't match the performances I watched... but I figure he's a generous grader... I also appreciate reviews like yours.

JeffDuncan
11-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Actually, DDR and LMA were playing pretty well together, especially DDR, and making some progress, until our crafty coach decided to crap all over it by forcing DDR, and LMA, to play with both White and Forbes at the same time. It isn't playing with another star that bothers LMA, it's playing for a coach who constantly craps on his own team.

JeffDuncan
11-15-2018, 08:02 PM
Pop had a good start of the season but his team is losing more and more games and playing worse as the season advances....

So look at what changed. Gay's out, yes, but also when White came back Pop moved DDR to play White and Forbes at the same time.