PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: But but its all.about the system..50 wins regardless of personel

JakeCuenca
11-19-2018, 10:15 PM
:lmao

From 67 wins to .500

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2018, 10:24 PM
keeping wrong guy to make him happy and build around...

fkn he couldnt do it in portland, what makes patfo think he can get it done in SA?

pathetic, the whole roster needs to go man

AaronY
11-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Yeah, Leonard acted 100% normal and above reproach

Bynumite
11-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Uncle Dennis is a visionary. He just knew it.

JakeCuenca
11-19-2018, 10:35 PM
Yeah, Leonard acted 100% normal and above reproach

They didnt offer him the max. All the ramblings and drama started when Dennis got wind of spurs reluctance of offering the max. They played it safe.

Pavlov
11-19-2018, 10:50 PM
What happened to your screen name?

Rusty
11-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised if Uncle Dennis wanted the supermax from the Spurs and then demand a trade to LA

midnightpulp
11-19-2018, 10:58 PM
This topic is dead. There's been multiple studies confirming the overrated impact coaching has on NBA teams, meaning that "systems" and tactics are equally as overrated. Formula for winning basketball games: Get stars. That's it. Any dumbshit teenager who's played a few hours of NBA 2K could develop a "system" that can work with great talent. I'll say the most important function an NBA head coach has is determining in game rotations (the analytics office will come up with the set rotations). And that aspect of coaching is pretty much intuitive guesswork anyway (i.e. my star is having a tough game, do I sit him for a bit or stay with him and hope he finds it).

lefty
11-19-2018, 11:26 PM
Even Doc Rivers would have won 5 titles with the 80s Lakers

"Earvin, James, Byron, run!"

« Pass the ball to Kareem, sky hook!"

11-20-2018, 01:37 PM
The Enrique effect

Ginobilly
11-20-2018, 02:05 PM
This topic is dead. There's been multiple studies confirming the overrated impact coaching has on NBA teams, meaning that "systems" and tactics are equally as overrated. Formula for winning basketball games: Get stars. That's it. Any dumbshit teenager who's played a few hours of NBA 2K could develop a "system" that can work with great talent. I'll say the most important function an NBA head coach has is determining in game rotations (the analytics office will come up with the set rotations). And that aspect of coaching is pretty much intuitive guesswork anyway (i.e. my star is having a tough game, do I sit him for a bit or stay with him and hope he finds it).

Yup. I've always hated how the media always downplayed the talent of tim,manu, and tp9 and gave mostly all the credit to the spurs "system" and pop.

R. DeMurre
11-20-2018, 04:02 PM
It's easy to critique after the fact, but the plan that was in place-- Murray, Green, and Kawhi as a back court-- would have been a pretty great defensive team designed to easily switch on teams like Golden State and Houston. Barring strange happenings and injuries, the Spurs starting five might be Aldridge, Gay, Kawhi, Green/White, Murray... that's a pretty good team. I was especially looking forward to the defensive pairing of Kawhi & Murray-- that had the potential to be legendary. Oh well.

baseline bum
11-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised if Uncle Dennis wanted the supermax from the Spurs and then demand a trade to LA

They couldn't trade him for a year if they signed that faggot to the supermax.

DMC
11-20-2018, 11:56 PM

There's not another coach in the league that could have gone B2B Finals and a ring with that lineup. No way. Danny Green and Gary Neal as your high scorers? Patty Mills? Tiago Splitter?

DAF86
11-21-2018, 12:17 AM
There's not another coach in the league that could have gone B2B Finals and a ring with that lineup. No way. Danny Green and Gary Neal as your high scorers? Patty Mills? Tiago Splitter?

lol what? That roster was as deep a roster as you will ever find.

Tony, Green, Kawhi, Duncan, Splitter, Mills, Manu, Boris. Eight guys that were above average rotation guys back in 2014. Heck, even third string guys like Joseph, Belinelli, Bonner and Baynes were better than many teams' second unit guys.

DMC
11-21-2018, 12:30 AM
lol what? That roster was as deep a roster as you will ever find.

Tony, Green, Kawhi, Duncan, Splitter, Mills, Manu, Boris. Eight guys that were above average rotation guys back in 2014. Heck, even third string guys like Joseph, Belinelli, Bonner and Baynes were better than many teams' second unit guys.

:lol

Tony was a shell of his former self. Kawhi was still introverted on the court. Mills was waived by his former team as was Danny Green (and Boris as well I believe). Tim was just a couple years from retirement.

You say this because of how well they did as a team, using basically circular reasoning to support your claim that they were good regardless of the coach (because hey, they played good together). Don't forget about how great Gary Neal was.

That deep roster got their shit pushed in during the 1st round in 2015.

DAF86
11-21-2018, 12:40 AM

Tony was a shell of his former self. Kawhi was still introverted on the court. Mills was waived by his former team as was Danny Green (and Boris as well I believe). Tim was just a couple years from retirement.

You say this because of how well they did as a team, using basically circular reasoning to support your claim that they were good regardless of the coach (because hey, they played good together). Don't forget about how great Gary Neal was.

Picking at straws just to try to make an argument full DMC style. :lol

Who cares how they got there. All those player were above average level players from around 2012 to 2015.

Three already proven Hall of famers in Tim, Manu and Tony.

One future Hall of famer in Kawhi.

One already proven veteran and borderline all-star in a couple of seasons like Boris Diaw.

A top tier role player for years like Danny Green.

A former Euroleague MVP in Splitter and a fit Patty Mills that ended up as the leading scorer of every FiBA tournament back then and would drop 20+ on every NBA game in which he would get enough minutes.

Few NBA teams in history were as deep as that Spurs team. At least in the modern, expansion era.

DMC
11-21-2018, 12:48 AM
Picking at straws just to try to make an argument full DMC style. :lol

Who cares how they got there. All those player were above average level players from around 2012 to 2015.

Three already proven Hall of famers in Tim, Manu and Tony.

One future Hall of famer in Kawhi.

One already proven veteran and borderline all-star in a couple of seasons like Boris Diaw.

A top tier role player for years like Danny Green.

A former Euroleague MVP in Splitter and a fit Patty Mills that ended up as the leading scorer of every FiBA tournament back then and would drop 20+ on every NBA game in which he would get enough minutes.

Few NBA teams in history were as deep as that Spurs team. At least in the modern, expansion era.

"Let's say you have a great offensive player like Steph Curry. You want to make him work on defense, but to do that you need a great one-on-one player to give the ball to. We don't have a Kevin Durant, a LeBron, a James Harden, so we have to do it with pieces. And the only way to do that is to move the basketball and make the people guarding you move with it." - Coach Pop

You're saying any coach could have run that 5, 6 and 7 passes ball movement to stay ahead of the rotations of Miami?

Tony is still a future HOFer. Why isn't he taking Charlotte to a ring? Do you even know what circular reasoning is? Tony and Manu are likely HOFers because of Pop. Danny Green was "green" when he arrived in SA. Boris was washed up. Marco was as well. Tiago missed training camp and couldn't get playing time most of the season. These people were pieces but Pop was the artist. Same with Kawhi, if he ever gets there. "Of course people think DaVinci is a great artist, but he has the Mona Lisa!"

Splitter was never the Euroleague MVP :lol Falling for the long running schtick.. He was the Spanish League MVP

You're clueless if you think someone like Doc Rivers could have taken that team to the Finals 2x in a row.

11-21-2018, 03:19 AM
So coaching couldn't stop them from getting their shit pushed in? It's almost like it doesn't matter

midnightpulp
11-21-2018, 06:04 AM

If you want to speculate about behind the scenes management (i.e. handling players, managing egos, etc), I could buy that, since Pop, before the Kawhi saga, was a coach players highly respected and fell in line for, but I'm over the idea that there exists a "voodoo system" that will completely catch opponents off-guard. Great players can flourish under any "system" (as long as the system is analytically valid, ex. no coach is going to win too many games today going back to a post-centric offense with bigs). Many of the big sports are kind of "solved" in regard to what works and what doesn't, so talent really is the main deciding factor now.

ambchang
11-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Tough to say systems don’t matter when Steve Kerr turned the warriors into a dynasty when Jackson was asking them a fringe playoff team.

Pop has been an integral part of the spurs runs. At no point in time we’re the spurs clearly the most talented team in the nba. The kings jailblazers Mavs suns all had talent.

ECOV
11-21-2018, 12:08 PM

Lol 2k

DAF86
11-21-2018, 12:20 PM
"Let's say you have a great offensive player like Steph Curry. You want to make him work on defense, but to do that you need a great one-on-one player to give the ball to. We don't have a Kevin Durant, a LeBron, a James Harden, so we have to do it with pieces. And the only way to do that is to move the basketball and make the people guarding you move with it." - Coach Pop

You're saying any coach could have run that 5, 6 and 7 passes ball movement to stay ahead of the rotations of Miami?

No, I'm saying that system wouldn't have won shit with lesser players?

Tony is still a future HOFer. Why isn't he taking Charlotte to a ring?

Because he isn't even 1/8th as good as he was in 2013 and 2014.

Do you even know what circular reasoning is? Tony and Manu are likely HOFers because of Pop.

lol Manu had Pop on the other side when he turned himself into a HoF lock, tbh.

Danny Green was "green" when he arrived in SA. Boris was washed up. Marco was as well. Tiago missed training camp and couldn't get playing time most of the season. These people were pieces but Pop was the artist. Same with Kawhi, if he ever gets there. "Of course people think DaVinci is a great artist, but he has the Mona Lisa!"

Splitter was never the Euroleague MVP :lol Falling for the long running schtick.. He was the Spanish League MVP

You're clueless if you think someone like Doc Rivers could have taken that team to the Finals 2x in a row.

I'm not saying any coach could have taken that team to the finals 2x. I'm saying that no coaching in the World matters if you don't have good enough players. Talent is waaaaaay more important than coaching.

I don't know if any coach could have taken those players to two consecutive finals, but many of them could. That team was just that good and that talented. Who knows, maybe some other coaches could have repeated with that roster. All they needed to do was not taking out your best player in the most important possession of the season.

Chucho
11-21-2018, 12:23 PM

That's stupid. He doesn't get into the Hall just off Euro and Olympics and 1 nba title. He locked himself in being Coached by Pop and being drafted by him. What a shit argument.

DAF86
11-21-2018, 12:41 PM
That's stupid. He doesn't get into the Hall just off Euro and Olympics and 1 nba title. He locked himself in being Coached by Pop and being drafted by him. What a shit argument.

lol son. That entire Argentina team will get into the Hall just for that one run.

DMC
11-21-2018, 01:18 PM
If you want to speculate about behind the scenes management (i.e. handling players, managing egos, etc), I could buy that, since Pop, before the Kawhi saga, was a coach players highly respected and fell in line for, but I'm over the idea that there exists a "voodoo system" that will completely catch opponents off-guard. Great players can flourish under any "system" (as long as the system is analytically valid, ex. no coach is going to win too many games today going back to a post-centric offense with bigs). Many of the big sports are kind of "solved" in regard to what works and what doesn't, so talent really is the main deciding factor now.

The Spurs results are an anomaly if you consider all teams since the inception of the NBA, and that the Spurs have done this with basically one superstar who, for the most part, was not putting up superstar numbers for a good portion of his career. What other coach has accomplished so much with so little?

DMC
11-21-2018, 01:20 PM
No, I'm saying that system wouldn't have won shit with lesser players?

Because he isn't even 1/8th as good as he was in 2013 and 2014.

I'm not saying any coach could have taken that team to the finals 2x. I'm saying that no coaching in the World matters if you don't have good enough players. Talent is waaaaaay more important than coaching.

I don't know if any coach could have taken those players to two consecutive finals, but many of them could. That team was just that good and that talented. Who knows, maybe some other coaches could have repeated with that roster. All they needed to do was not taking out your best player in the most important possession of the season.
This makes no fucking sense

DMC
11-21-2018, 01:26 PM
So coaching couldn't stop them from getting their shit pushed in? It's almost like it doesn't matter

Coaching probably helped them to get their shit pushed in during that series, with all the intentional fouling and Pop's "look at me" shit. However every team eventually loses.

Mark Jackson was getting his ass kicked in early rounds. This is the same team that won 73 games under Steve Kerr. All Steve had to do was recognize they had the fewest passes per shot in the league. Kerr made them the team with the most passes per shot. Ball movement is key. Coaches have to recognize that and get away from their "I'm going to make you like I was" mantra. This is why coaches who were good players are often ineffective - they are player focused and look for superstars.

Ginobilly
11-21-2018, 01:27 PM
How's the system working now that they don't have hof players in Timmy,manu,tp9,kwitter? Talent matters more in the nba than in any other bball league. You wont win shit if you dont have top 5 nba talent. Of all the teams that have ranged during the last 20 years I could only think of the 2004 detroit pistons that didn't have a top 5 talent leading them on, but they had allstars in rip, chauncy, wallace and big ben leading them on. Not exactly the brin forbes of the league.

DMC
11-21-2018, 01:30 PM
How's the system working now that they don't have hof players in Timmy,manu,tp9,kwitter? Talent matters more in the nba than in any other bball league. You wont win shit if you dont have top 5 nba talent. Of all the teams that have ranged during the last 20 years I could only think of the 2004 detroit pistons that didn't have a top 5 talent leading them on, but they had allstars in rip, chauncy, wallace and big ben leading them on. Not exactly the brin forbes of the league.

They aren't bottom of the pack and it's too early to tell otherwise.

All Stars are voted in based on their team success during the RS. It's not an endorsement as to the overall talent of that player, else he'd continue being an all star. Kobe was voted in while he didn't even suit up, just like Yao Ming.

anon
11-21-2018, 01:34 PM
It's time to retire to the antiquated system angle. Who in this Curry/Durant decade publicly uses the word "system" anymore? None of the players use it, none of the blog boy journalists use it, none of the coaches talking to reporters about how they use their players use the term. It's a player's league more than ever.

ambchang
11-21-2018, 01:41 PM

Who on the 2014 spurs was a top five talent?

DAF86
11-21-2018, 01:46 PM
This makes no fucking sense

Any= any other coach

And no, I don't know if a coach like Isiah Thomas would have led that Spurs roster to two consecutive NBA finlas.

But there are many others that I think could have, like Brad Stevens, Budenholzer, Quin Snyder, etc.

Ginobilly
11-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Who on the 2014 spurs was a top five talent?

Tp9 was considered behind lebron in 2013 as an mvp candidate. Was supposedly the best point guard in the league according to nba analysts in 2013/2014. Winning 2014 fmvp makes kawhi into a superstar, thus a top 5 talent. Manu and td21 had resurgence years. They were not exactly a bunch of scrubs that won a title.

DMC
11-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Tp9 was considered behind lebron in 2013 as an mvp candidate. Was supposedly the best point guard in the league according to nba analysts in 2013/2014. Winning 2014 fmvp makes kawhi into a superstar, thus a top 5 talent. Manu and td21 had resurgence years. They were not exactly a bunch of scrubs that won a title.

So Andre Iguodala was a superstar in 2016? Odd that he wasn't voted into the AS game.

DMC
11-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Any= any other coach

And no, I don't know if a coach like Isiah Thomas would have led that Spurs roster to two consecutive NBA finlas.

But there are many others that I think could have, like Brad Stevens, Budenholzer, Quin Snyder, etc.

All coaches that have never led a team to the Finals. One is a Pop disciple. There's a reason the rest of the league is adopting the "system" and hiring Pop disciples.

DAF86
11-21-2018, 02:19 PM
All coaches that have never led a team to the Finals. One is a Pop disciple. There's a reason the rest of the league is adopting the "system" and hiring Pop disciples.

All coaches that never had a roster as talented as that Spurs team.

Chucho
11-21-2018, 02:33 PM
lol son. That entire Argentina team will get into the Hall just for that one run.

Exactly. Pop got Manu in as an individual.

DAF86
11-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Exactly. Pop got Manu in as an individual.

No, Manu got himself individually winning Euroleague MVP and being the best player of the team that beat US for the first and maybe only time.

If anything, Pop took away from Manu's individual accomplishments when he made him a 6th man. A decision that probably no other coach would have taken.

ambchang
11-21-2018, 03:15 PM

Parker wasn’t top five.
Kawhi wasn’t top five. He won finals mvp because the spurs won the finals. Was billions top five in 2004?
Duncan wasn’t top five.
ginobily wasn’t top five.

Nobody said the spurs were scrubs. They just didn’t have any top five players like you claimed is a must to win titles.

In fact, I’m not even sure you can put anyone on the 2008 celtics as a top five then. But you can argue that.

DMC
11-21-2018, 04:47 PM
All coaches that never had a roster as talented as that Spurs team.

You're just going to "nuh uh" regardless of the evidence against your retarded take.

DMC
11-21-2018, 04:47 PM
No, Manu got himself individually winning Euroleague MVP and being the best player of the team that beat US for the first and maybe only time.

If anything, Pop took away from Manu's individual accomplishments when he made him a 6th man. A decision that probably no other coach would have taken.

Yet nobody ever heard of the motherfucker. 57th overall.

Ginobilly
11-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Parker wasn’t top five.
Kawhi wasn’t top five. He won finals mvp because the spurs won the finals. Was billions top five in 2004?
Duncan wasn’t top five.
ginobily wasn’t top five.

Nobody said the spurs were scrubs. They just didn’t have any top five players like you claimed is a must to win titles.

In fact, I’m not even sure you can put anyone on the 2008 celtics as a top five then. But you can argue that.

Wasn't tp an mvp candidate during the 2012-2014 seasons that fueled those spurs teams and helped got them those 60+ wins? And kawhi was already considered by many analysts as the top perimeter defender and a future superstar by many in nba circles and spurstalk. Thats 2 players in the top 5. Never said duncan or manu were top 5 during those years, but they had good years.

I don't know if billups was considered a top 5 player but he was considered a top 3 point guard behind nash and jkidd during those years. They also had two top defensive players in wallace bros and i think ben was a dpoy winner that year. Dont forget rip was an allstar also.

DAF86
11-21-2018, 05:45 PM

You're just going to "nuh uh" regardless of the evidence against your retarded take.

I'm giving you simple, easily comprobable facts. The fuck are you talking about? :lol

Tell me which of those coaches I named had the chance to coach a team as talented as the 2014 Spurs? I'll wait.

DAF86
11-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Yet nobody ever heard of the motherfucker. 57th overall.

Basketball folks heard about him in '02 and '04 just fine, tbh. :lol

DMC
11-21-2018, 08:00 PM
I'm giving you simple, easily comprobable facts. The fuck are you talking about? :lol

Tell me which of those coaches I named had the chance to coach a team as talented as the 2014 Spurs? I'll wait.

"a roster as talented as the Spurs team" is not a factual remark. It's both nebulous and based on opinion. How can anyone disprove "as talented as"? I can show you what most of the players on that roster did before and after the Spurs. You'll dismiss it.

DMC
11-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Basketball folks heard about him in '02 and '04 just fine, tbh. :lol

57th

ElNono
11-21-2018, 08:02 PM
It was all Manu, tbh, knowledgeable basketball people knew this...

ambchang
11-21-2018, 10:38 PM
Wasn't tp an mvp candidate during the 2012-2014 seasons that fueled those spurs teams and helped got them those 60+ wins? And kawhi was already considered by many analysts as the top perimeter defender and a future superstar by many in nba circles and spurstalk. Thats 2 players in the top 5. Never said duncan or manu were top 5 during those years, but they had good years.

I don't know if billups was considered a top 5 player but he was considered a top 3 point guard behind nash and jkidd during those years. They also had two top defensive players in wallace bros and i think ben was a dpoy winner that year. Dont forget rip was an allstar also.

I’m not even sure what criteria you are going on. Parker was number 12 in mvp awards share in 13-14. That’s pretty far from number five.

As for Kawhi, which part of up and coming star means top 5 player? Is doncic a top five player now?

YOU said the pistons didn’t have any top five players in 04 and you are now trying to argue against it? What the hell is wrong with you?

baseline bum
11-21-2018, 11:14 PM
My 38-44 projection not looking so bad now

I think Vegas still has the Spurs winning 43 games this season, but I'm expecting them to go 38W - 44L. So pretty well out of the playoff hunt but also pretty well out of the high lottery.

baseline bum
11-21-2018, 11:18 PM

2014 Spurs didn't have a top 10 player

JakeCuenca
11-21-2018, 11:47 PM

Duncan and Kawhi were sniffing top 10 player numbers in terms of advanced stats. And Leonard was alread annointed as one in 2015 despite being clealry offensively limited.

Kyle_Kuzma
11-22-2018, 01:22 AM

DAF86
11-22-2018, 01:37 AM

That's actually a horrible example. Mark Jackson just let Curry, Thompson and Draymond "play" and they weren't more than a cute regular season team. It wasn't untill Kerr got there and told them how to play that they started kicking serious ass.

I'm in the talent over coaching wagon, but that Kerr vs Jackson argument is the worst you can come up with, tbh.

LkrFan
11-22-2018, 04:56 AM
keeping wrong guy to make him happy and build around...

fkn he couldnt do it in portland, what makes patfo think he can get it done in SA?

pathetic, the whole roster needs to go man

Nope, you're gonna enjoy this shit sammich. You farmers bragged that he chose SATX over LA. Skinning and grinning and shit. Then you took PATFO side vs Kiwi. Pathetic tbh. :lol

venitian navigator
11-22-2018, 07:25 AM
That's actually a horrible example. Mark Jackson just let Curry, Thompson and Draymond "play" and they weren't more than a cute regular season team. It wasn't untill Kerr got there and told them how to play that they started kicking serious ass.

I'm in the talent over coaching wagon, but that Kerr vs Jackson argument is the worst you can come up with, tbh.

agree

midnightpulp
11-22-2018, 08:11 AM

The Jackson issue had more to do with him losing the locker room than any "system" incompatibilities. And even under Jackson, they were very close to beating the Spurs in 2013. They probably go to the Finals if they beat the Spurs. Kind of reminds me of the Del Harris to Phil Jackson situation. Shaq didn't like Del. (people will say Del Harris teams kept getting swept in the playoffs prior to Phil, but Del never had anything close to a prime Kobe. The Lakers also ran into very good Utah teams). Del three peats just the same, no doubt in my mind.

DMC
11-22-2018, 09:24 AM

They had the deepest roster in history

Kyle_Kuzma
11-22-2018, 10:45 AM
The Jackson issue had more to do with him losing the locker room than any "system" incompatibilities. And even under Jackson, they were very close to beating the Spurs in 2013. They probably go to the Finals if they beat the Spurs. Kind of reminds me of the Del Harris to Phil Jackson situation. Shaq didn't like Del. (people will say Del Harris teams kept getting swept in the playoffs prior to Phil, but Del never had anything close to a prime Kobe. The Lakers also ran into very good Utah teams). Del three peats just the same, no doubt in my mind.
smart cat

Ginobilly
11-22-2018, 11:23 AM

I dont know much about advanced stats as I don't have the time to immerse myself in that, but I would never put any players in the top 10 who didn't do shit in the playoffs or finals for that year. I know a lot of you guys like to put flashy guys who jacked up a shit load of shots, and scored a lot, ahead of our spurs players who didn't have the ppg, but they had the substance when it counted.

The players who got shit done are your true alphas for that year.

Ginobilly
11-22-2018, 11:33 AM
The point of this thread is the spurs aint doing shit until they get better talent to surround demar/lma. History says you need superstars or allstars with solid role players to win it or go far in the p.o.

ambchang
11-22-2018, 12:10 PM
The point of this thread is the spurs aint doing shit until they get better talent to surround demar/lma. History says you need superstars or allstars with solid role players to win it or go far in the p.o.

Well duh.