PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Amazon is coming ...

LCM
11-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Read an article today that Amazon is making a bid to buy all the 22 regional sports networks that Disney has to sell to close the Fox deal. That includes the YES! Network and Fox Sports Southwest. Bidding is just starting, second round will begin shortly after new year. If Amazon pulls this off, how is this going to effect sports watching in the future? How much is Disney going to back ESPN if they start loosing rights fees contracts of NFL, NBA, CFB, CBB to Amazon when contracts come due? Sorry I didn't have the link, but it'll be easy to find.

Spur916
11-20-2018, 01:24 PM
If Amazon pulls this off, how is this going to effect sports watching in the future?

I'm hopeful that given the amount of cable cutting going on leagues will eventually offer in house subscription services for 100% of their content. Bundling sports on generic sports networks like ESPN seems outdated because there will always be a ton of content on there that you have no interest in but you are forced to pay for.

My only sports viewing interest is primarily the Spurs, secondarily the NBA as a whole so given that I just have league pass and don't pay for cable (as I live out of market). $30 a month to watch most Spurs games and upwards of 90% of all league content is money well spent in my opinion.

LCM
11-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Or Amazon could offer prime members access to all sports related material or break it up into subsections where people only pay for the sport they want to watch if they don't want to be prime members. They could offer special content for prime members also, like they are doing with the AQUAMAN movie, showing it on prime a week before theatrical release.