PDA

View Full Version : How cheap is Holt ?

Bruno
10-25-2005, 05:06 PM
(I don't know if it deserves a thread so merge it or lock it if you want)

The Lux Tax Threshold is $61.7M.
With 13 players, Spurs payroll is $62M.
Spurs are $300k over the threshold.
In fact this $300k will cost $3.3M ($300k +$300k of tax + $2.7M less in escrow redistribution).
In fact, when you are $1 over the lux tax threshold, you lost $2.7M.
So my questions :
Is Peter Holt ready to spend $3M or will the spurs make a trade this year to go under the tax threshold ?
Will the Spurs sign a 5th SG/SF if it cost twice more ($1.4M) ?

Kori Ellis
10-25-2005, 05:07 PM
It was in a recent E-N article that the Spurs are 600K over and that they will look to move a contract because of that.

dbreiden83080
10-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Whoever they look to move he will be expendable, too much talent on this team to get overly cheap and risk losing the title.

Bruno
10-25-2005, 05:14 PM
It was in a recent E-N article that the Spurs are 600K over and that they will look to move a contract because of that.

In fact they have a payroll 600k over but for Lux tax computing it's only 300k (NVE will cost 700k not 1M)

Spurs košarka kultura
10-25-2005, 05:29 PM
they will look to move a contract because of that.
I'm assuming that's Rasho? :depressed

boutons
10-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I thought a change in the CBA was that luxury-tax paying franchises were no lonnger excluded from sharing in the luxury tax pot payout, making the luxury tax a little less painful.

I'm not CBA legal beagle, what is and where from is this $2.7M escrow?

Bruno
10-25-2005, 05:47 PM
I thought a change in the CBA was that luxury-tax paying franchises were no lonnger excluded from sharing in the luxury tax pot payout, making the luxury tax a little less painful.

I'm not CBA legal beagle, what is and where from is this $2.7M escrow?

This year luxury tax income will be around $80M this year.
Each team under the luxury tax will receive $2.7M (1/29).
The money not given this way will be share again and each team (under or over the Lux Tax) will receive 1/29 of it.
A team over for $1 the luxury threshold will receive $2.7M less than a team under the threshold for $1.

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Awesome. That'll really help the Spurs on the court.

T Park
10-25-2005, 06:32 PM
yeah.

Trading that 4th string center is really gonna kill em.

Fuck it, why did they have to bring back Marks?? Nesterovic Mohammed Oberto is enough.

Whatever they are paying Marks is too much, cut him.

Marcus Bryant
10-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Why are you still here? Go find another team to give up on.

Supergirl
10-26-2005, 07:50 AM
I think it's obvious Mohammed and Rasho will not both be in the team's future. I think it just isn't clear which one will stay. They don't play well on the court together, because they really can both only play C - as opposed to Duncan, Horry, and Oberto who can play C/PF. They're both about equally productive offensively. Rasho is better all around in D, and Nazr is a slightly better rebounder. But I think it will come down to who fits in better with the team by the middle of this season. At the end of last year, it was looking like it would be Nazr. Now it's looking like it's Rasho again.

spur219
10-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Move Rasho.

JUUOT
10-26-2005, 08:17 AM
But I think it will come down to who fits in better with the team by the middle of this season. At the end of last year, it was looking like it would be Nazr. Now it's looking like it's Rasho again.

or maybee it will come down to who is cheaper and will stay on the book less. As you said the difference is not big. so unless
1)they can extand nazr with a contract as good as what is left on rasho's one
2)nazr proves he is a lot better than rasho...

this season will be nazr last one

Bruno
10-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Whatever they are paying Marks is too much, cut him.

The roster must have between 13 and 15 players.
Trading Marks won't solve the Lux Tax problem.
The purpose of this topic is to say that Spurs will trade a player before the trade deadline in february. (if Holt isn't ready to pay $3M)
Likely candidates are Nazr, Rasho and Barry.
Among the three, I trade Nazr first cause we can get something positive for him (like draft picks or prospects).

batman2883
10-26-2005, 08:31 AM
They brought back marks cause he was Ginobili's best friend on the team. You want a happy go crazy Ginobili to play not a frustrated one who wanted his friend there. Dude besides Marks plays way more aggressive than Rasho, cut rasho's ass

TDMVPDPOY
10-26-2005, 08:56 AM
i say we trade rasho or nazr to the bulls for nacioni and a draft pick, or maybe they have the both of them.

SWC Bonfire
10-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Holt is so cheap that he'll move Rasho for a used rubber-tired loader and high-track D6.:lol

Realistically, how much does he have to do with team transactions? He doesn't strike me as a micromanager.

JUUOT
10-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Realistically, how much does he have to do with team transactions? He doesn't strike me as a micromanager.

i think you are right he just gives limits and let POP play in this restricted area. Main limit : be under the Cap

Vashner
10-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Well Holt's equipment business is very competitive. People don't pay royalties for tracked vehicles (which his family invented). A good businessman keeps his books in order. I think he has a reputation as a generous and caring man not a tightwad.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 01:41 PM
He also has a reputation as a drunk.

ducks
10-26-2005, 01:43 PM
nacioni is from agrentina
spurs need all players that play for that team
that way manu will get the ball because noone passes him the ball

CubanMustGo
10-26-2005, 02:26 PM
He also has a reputation as a drunk.

That's really uncalled for. Call him cheap all you like, but mocking someone who battles the demons of alcoholism is a very low blow.