PDA

View Full Version : So when are we making some moves?

DAF86
11-22-2018, 12:11 AM
I want to believe that PATFO already came to the conclusion that they fucked up in the building of the roster and realized that they have to make some changes if they want to keep that playoffs streak alive.

This should be the first season in a million years that the Spurs will be active players in the trade market. The more they wait to make the moves, the harder it will be to climb back up, so how long do they wait?

This is isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when. They either make some moves now to try to improve or they make moves later to blow it up when DeRozan, Aldridge and the rest of the veterans ask out of a sinking ship.

cool cat
11-22-2018, 12:13 AM
Well we will have to wait because a bunch of players can't be traded until Dec and Jan.

Kurgan
11-22-2018, 12:17 AM
If they sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed, that will only validate the shitty roster they put together. If they're on the cusp but barely miss out, they won't make a move. They'll view it as being unlucky with injuries in a stacked western conference. They need to fail and fail hard to knock some sense into them. I'm talking 2nd or 3rd worst team in the West.

Mugen
11-22-2018, 12:18 AM
My dude, it's like you've never ever been a Spurs fan. RC and Pop aren't doing shit this season and I'm 95% sure they are trying to figure out how they can extend Pau in the summer.

DAF86
11-22-2018, 12:19 AM
Well we will have to wait because a bunch of players can't be traded until Dec and Jan.

The players that need to be traded *cough* Mills and Gasol *cough* can be traded.

Although knowing PATFO, they will probably trade Bertans before any of those two.

In Dec/Jan you see if Philly is willing to give you something for that worthless off season signing that is Belinelli.

DAF86
11-22-2018, 12:20 AM
If they sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed, that will only validate the shitty roster they put together. If they're on the cusp but barely miss out, they won't make a move. They'll view it as being unlucky with injuries in a stacked western conference. They need to fail and fail hard to knock some sense into them. I'm talking 2nd or 3rd worst team in the West.

If they don't make any moves they will fail and fail hard, tbh.

DAF86
11-22-2018, 12:23 AM
My dude, it's like you've never ever been a Spurs fan. RC and Pop aren't doing shit this season and I'm 95% sure they are trying to figure out how they can extend Pau in the summer.

This is the first season where they seriously run the risk of missing the playoffs. I want to believe they won't stand pat.

Pavlov
11-22-2018, 12:24 AM
Maybe the deadline. No one is going to panic outside of SpursTalk.

DAF86
11-22-2018, 12:26 AM
Maybe the deadline. No one is going to panic outside of SpursTalk.

Chances are that by that time the changes made will be to blow it up, tbh.

Kurgan
11-22-2018, 12:26 AM
If they don't make any moves they will fail and fail hard, tbh.

Good. Pop/Buford need a reality check on both the roster and the shitty mid range iso style they have them playing. Doesn't hurt that their pick will be a lot better too.

Pavlov
11-22-2018, 12:28 AM
Chances are that by that time the changes made will be to blow it up, tbh.Great. Now we know how your posts will read for the next three months.

sasaint
11-22-2018, 12:29 AM
The move that needs to be made is for ownership to replace PATFO. Allowing them to make changes is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Indianman
11-22-2018, 12:33 AM
PATFO should do a multi team trade which involves Mills and/or Gasol and all the disgruntled players(there's quite a few) and get the best possible roster to get us into the playoffs this season and still be developmental enough for the next.

TDomination
11-22-2018, 12:35 AM
I'm still in the boat that thinks that a trade better helps this team than tanking. DeRozan is legit and would love to win with him. Hopefully everybody but him is on the trade market and they can try and figure out what pieces are needed to complement him.

TimDunkem
11-22-2018, 12:39 AM
Everyone but DD should be moved.

Yet it won't happen. I guarantee this team plays juuuust good enough for PATFO to excuse themselves from making the roster better by moving their favorites.

Kurgan
11-22-2018, 12:49 AM
I'm still in the boat that thinks that a trade better helps this team than tanking. DeRozan is legit and would love to win with him. Hopefully everybody but him is on the trade market and they can try and figure out what pieces are needed to complement him.

Derozan himself is a flawed player in the modern NBA. An offense only wing that can't shoot the three ball. It's just bizarre that he hasn't attempted to extend his range when every other offensive guard has tried to add a three point shot to their game. Even his idol Kobe shot the threeball.

JeffDuncan
11-22-2018, 12:56 AM

Keep Murray too. We know he's a good defender at least, and an impressive rebounder, and the team can always use that.

Maybe Walker. Don't know yet.

Otherwise, as you say.

gambit1990
11-22-2018, 12:58 AM
spurs are making a trade this year.

ElNono
11-22-2018, 12:58 AM
Unless LMA is asking for a trade, what move is there to make? We're basically in the perennial Utah situation now, where we have good enough second-third bananas, a bunch of role players, but we're missing the franchise player.

DAF86
11-22-2018, 01:03 AM
Unless LMA is asking for a trade, what move is there to make? We're basically in the perennial Utah situation now, where we have good enough second-third bananas, a bunch of role players, but we're missing the franchise player.

Any move that gets us any semblance of a 3 and D guy in exchange for one of our below average defending midgets. That change alone would help the Spurs playoffs aspirations a great deal. And that was the goal all along, just keep the playoffs streak alive.

11-22-2018, 01:12 AM
mills had a good game, ship him out for a pick

tank tank tank, this draft is going to have some steals

ElNono
11-22-2018, 01:19 AM
Any move that gets us any semblance of a 3 and D guy in exchange for one of our below average defending midgets. That change alone would help the Spurs playoffs aspirations a great deal. And that was the goal all along, just keep the playoffs streak alive.

Like who? I mean, I don't mind one bit if the Spurs want to salary dump those albatross deals for Patty, Gasol, etc, but you ain't getting value back, tbh...

Hoops Czar
11-22-2018, 01:25 AM
Funny thing is, most teams willing to trade a 3&D guy to the Spurs would actually want some resemblance of talent or expirings in return. The Spurs have neither that would tempt another team. What they should is cut bait with some of that payroll by trading LMA and DeRozen so the Spurs can tank properly. This was a horrendously constructed team that has made the FO look flat out silly and the only way to fix it is to blow it up and start all over.

DAF86
11-22-2018, 01:32 AM
Like who? I mean, I don't mind one bit if the Spurs want to salary dump those albatross deals for Patty, Gasol, etc, but you ain't getting value back, tbh...

Funny thing is, most teams willing to trade a 3&D guy to the Spurs would actually want some resemblance of talent or expirings in return. The Spurs have neither that would tempt another team. What they should is cut bait with some of that payroll by trading LMA and DeRozen so the Spurs can tank properly. This was a horrendously constructed team that has made the FO look flat out silly and the only way to fix it is to blow it up and start all over.

There are many 3 and D guys playing in awful teams out there: Ariza, Porter, Carroll, etc. who can probably be had if you attach some value to Gasol and Mills.

SpursGenius
11-22-2018, 01:34 AM
They will extend mills and Gasol for the blow and fuck sessions they provide acne face.

Keepin' it real
11-22-2018, 01:39 AM
The players that need to be traded *cough* Mills and Gasol *cough* can be traded.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/28165363/do-you-have-a-cough-due-to-cold.jpg

sasaint
11-22-2018, 01:40 AM

Yet it won't happen. I guarantee this team plays juuuust good enough for PATFO to excuse themselves from making the roster better by moving their favorites.

The way this team performs is largely irrelevant. The injuries alone will enable PATFO to convince themselves that nothing drastic needs to be done. The real question is whether ownership will be deluded by such nonsense.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-22-2018, 01:49 AM
Bertans + Mills + both picks should be enough to get a good player.

TimDunkem
11-22-2018, 02:02 AM
Keep Murray too. We know he's a good defender at least, and an impressive rebounder, and the team can always use that.

Maybe Walker. Don't know yet.

Otherwise, as you say.

Tbh, I forgot about them. :lmao

But, yes, DD and the only prospects we have that are worth a damn.

TimDunkem
11-22-2018, 02:03 AM
The way this team performs is largely irrelevant. The injuries alone will enable PATFO to convince themselves that nothing drastic needs to be done. The real question is whether ownership will be deluded by such nonsense.

Sadly, you're right.

"It was just an unlucky year. We like what we have." -PATFO during their April exit interviews.

John B
11-22-2018, 02:58 AM
It’s gonna get uglier the next few games. I hope it’s Pau and Mills or Davis for a defensive player

therealtruth
11-22-2018, 06:49 AM
So Spurs lose KA to Grizzlies and with the win they have the best record in the West and they lose Kawhi/DG to Raptors and they have the best record in the East/League. Meanwhile the Spurs are out of the playoffs.

r0drig0lac
11-22-2018, 06:59 AM
It’s gonna get uglier the next few games. I hope it’s Pau and Mills or Davis for a defensive player

I hope it is Mills, Gasol and Marco (Bertans can play), use the pick of toronto if it is the case, 2 wings that can attack the rim and defend at level nba and we will be competitive again

duncan2k5
11-22-2018, 07:32 AM
now ppl are starting to see what ive been saying for a while now...

r0drig0lac
11-22-2018, 07:35 AM
now ppl are starting to see what ive been saying for a while now...

the lack of slashers has been criticized (even by me) for more than two seasons in spurstalk, even when we had Kawhi, only Simmons was the other guy with this ability (Manu was already an old man), relax

tbdog
11-22-2018, 07:41 AM
I am sounding like a broken record, so here we go again. This team was built pre trade. Every pre season decision was based directly before the trade happened. All before the Spurs decided they could not keep Leonard around. They addressed our biggest issue with shooting and built around Murray, Leonard, Gay, and LMA. That is a great defensive core, with possibly Green staying. They let Anderson go in favour of shooting. They went after the best affordable shooter in Beli. They resigned Forbes. They let Parker go in favour of White. They went with shooting as their priority.

With the trade, we all of a sudden had no defenders. Our best shooters are our worst defenders. The Spurs will make changes. I am unsure if it will happen during the season. Keeping those two 1st will hold far more value on draft day than any day before it.

Kobe'sAchilles
11-22-2018, 12:57 PM
Losing isn't a move?

BackHome
11-22-2018, 01:07 PM
But tanking is :hungry:

JeffDuncan
11-22-2018, 03:09 PM
But tanking is :hungry:

Yes, I suppose tanking is a move. Haha

Supposed to be a good draft, and those first round picks could be mighty nice.

SAGirl
11-22-2018, 03:18 PM
I am sounding like a broken record, so here we go again. This team was built pre trade. Every pre season decision was based directly before the trade happened. All before the Spurs decided they could not keep Leonard around. They addressed our biggest issue with shooting and built around Murray, Leonard, Gay, and LMA. That is a great defensive core, with possibly Green staying. They let Anderson go in favour of shooting. They went after the best affordable shooter in Beli. They resigned Forbes. They let Parker go in favour of White. They went with shooting as their priority.

With the trade, we all of a sudden had no defenders. Our best shooters are our worst defenders. The Spurs will make changes. I am unsure if it will happen during the season. Keeping those two 1st will hold far more value on draft day than any day before it.
This makes a lot of sense.

Spurtacular
11-22-2018, 03:49 PM

No. We knew the Leonard trade was happening before the offseason....

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Blow it up tbqh. Keep the young pieces (Dejounte, Forbes, White, Lonnie, etc.)

sasaint
11-22-2018, 04:21 PM

With the caveat that we will never know if a regime change might have changed things.

ElNono
11-22-2018, 04:44 PM
There are many 3 and D guys playing in awful teams out there: Ariza, Porter, Carroll, etc. who can probably be had if you attach some value to Gasol and Mills.

The Spurs would be lucky to get 50 cent on the dollar on those, and none of those guys would move the needle.

If they really want to show a change in direction, they would move LMA and whatever is left of his contract, but you gotta get another all-star level caliber player, preferably with a backbone.

tbdog
11-22-2018, 05:09 PM

Nope. Every report was Pop and co were trying to work it out.

sasaint
11-22-2018, 05:13 PM
The Spurs would be lucky to get 50 cent on the dollar on those, and none of those guys would move the needle.

If they really want to show a change in direction, they would move LMA and whatever is left of his contract, but you gotta get another all-star level caliber player, preferably with a backbone.

This. Hopefully something can get done before LMA demands a trade and depresses his value even more.

Spurtacular
11-22-2018, 05:13 PM

That's last ditch stuff. Spurs weren't blindsided by the Leonard trade demand by that point.

sasaint
11-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Totally delusional when he hid from them in NY.

iGetbuckets
11-22-2018, 05:15 PM
This team would have been trash with or without Kawhi .

Pop and rc have went completely stupid the last couple of years

acoelho1
11-22-2018, 05:20 PM
How about just stand pat and improve our draft position. Murray will be back next year and we still don’t know what we have in Walker. I do think we need to move on from LMA but not for nothing. We need to exercise patience.

duncan2k5
11-22-2018, 07:26 PM
How about just stand pat and improve our draft position. Murray will be back next year and we still don’t know what we have in Walker. I do think we need to move on from LMA but not for nothing. We need to exercise patience.

So u want to keep him for three more years as he declines and becomes even more worthless?

tbdog
11-22-2018, 07:46 PM
Totally delusional when he hid from them in NY.

There was a lot of people here that wanted Spurs to work it out and offer the super max. But the point was that the Spurs were building around Leonard. You could say that the spurs should have traded him draft night then built around the new team. But as far as everyone knew, the offers were low and DD wasn't even an option. Lakers never included Ingram. Sixers didnt even have Fultz on the offer sheet. Celtics offered Rozier and Morris most likely.

sasaint
11-22-2018, 08:11 PM
There was a lot of people here that wanted Spurs to work it out and offer the super max. But the point was that the Spurs were building around Leonard. You could say that the spurs should have traded him draft night then built around the new team. But as far as everyone knew, the offers were low and DD wasn't even an option. Lakers never included Ingram. Sixers didnt even have Fultz on the offer sheet. Celtics offered Rozier and Morris most likely.

To build around a player who wouldn't even meet you in NY is totally delusional. Number 2 was not rejoining that Spurs team under that regime.

tbdog
11-22-2018, 09:18 PM
The philosophy was the Spurs get Leonard at US camp and away from the Uncle camp. Still, the Spurs did not get offers worthy enough at draft day.

Mr. Body
11-22-2018, 09:27 PM
This wouldn't be a bad team if LMA was actually good. He's dropping off a cliff.

No one on the squad is worth trading or will get anything in return. There were some bad mistakes there, like resigning Bertans instead of Anderson, and then Mills and Gasol were expensive - but then this team would be even worse without them. It's just a team of junky parts with little talent, especially when all the young guards went down. I understand the urge to not give up and tank -- it could be five, eight, ten years before SAS can field another decent team. But they may need a miracle somewhere.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-22-2018, 09:28 PM
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/28165363/do-you-have-a-cough-due-to-cold.jpg

:lol

tbdog
11-22-2018, 10:24 PM
This wouldn't be a bad team if LMA was actually good. He's dropping off a cliff.

No one on the squad is worth trading or will get anything in return. There were some bad mistakes there, like resigning Bertans instead of Anderson, and then Mills and Gasol were expensive - but then this team would be even worse without them. It's just a team of junky parts with little talent, especially when all the young guards went down. I understand the urge to not give up and tank -- it could be five, eight, ten years before SAS can field another decent team. But they may need a miracle somewhere.

You never tank unless injuries make it the only option. You always compete for wins. LMA not scoring well is hurting. We need to outscore teams and we can't when our main scorer is shooting low 40%.

Come trade deadline, two of; Mills, Gasol, Forbes, Beli and Bertans should be traded for defenders with a jump shot. But we cannot give up any 1st in the process.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-22-2018, 10:36 PM

So ducking scary that his extension doesn’t kick in until next season. He’s a disaster

sasaint
11-22-2018, 10:40 PM
So ducking scary that his extension doesn’t kick in until next season. He’s a disaster

Absolutely need to move him now.

SouthTexasRancher
11-23-2018, 12:15 AM

I totally agree with TDomination's viewpoint. Tanking won't help us win right away unless there is an LBJ or Kobe or Michael in the draft and I doubt there is one in the draft that can take over right away.

Mr. Body
11-23-2018, 12:17 AM
You never tank unless injuries make it the only option. You always compete for wins. LMA not scoring well is hurting. We need to outscore teams and we can't when our main scorer is shooting low 40%.

Come trade deadline, two of; Mills, Gasol, Forbes, Beli and Bertans should be traded for defenders with a jump shot. But we cannot give up any 1st in the process.

No one wants any of those players.

sasaint
11-23-2018, 12:37 AM

Especially without attaching a pick! :lol

John B
11-23-2018, 02:10 AM

If you want a proven star, you have to pay the price.

MultiTroll
11-23-2018, 02:25 AM
I think these moves will continue to be made by the Spurs org

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_3NdU9vtGI
BTW did the older gentleman with Carmello Anthony behind him win the comp?
Not that winning matters, they all participated. :toast

vavvi
11-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Pop coaches during the season. He doesn’t trade.
He’s 70 years old. He does one thing at a time.

superbigtime
11-23-2018, 09:44 AM
It's not happening. Looks like we are tanking to me.

John B
11-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Pop coaches during the season. He doesn’t trade.
He’s 70 years old. He does one thing at a time.
He cannot coach a dog to type, much less Mills, Forbes, Belli and Bertran to play strong defense, either too short, too slow, and not enough athleticism. After the road trip, Spurs would be below .500 after 21 years. He needs to make some changes and be accountable to the fans.

acoelho1
11-23-2018, 11:37 AM
So u want to keep him for three more years as he declines and becomes even more worthless?

I said I don't want to give him away. He still has value and the season is early. He had pretty good season last year so trading him at his low point makes no sense. I do think moving on from LMA is best for the team but showing a little patience doesn't mean I want him on the roster for the rest of his contract. The Spurs need to explore all options because unless Walker comes in and saves the day or LMA recaptures his game, I don't think this team is good enough (especially without Murray) to make the playoffs given how deep the west is this year.

Chillen
11-23-2018, 01:46 PM
Just sign Melo and call it a season, Pop can blame the Melo signing for not making the playoffs and still look like his typical coaching genius self.

DAF86
11-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Just sign Melo and call it a season, Pop can blame the Melo signing for not making the playoffs and still look like his typical coaching genius self.

Actually, seeing how important Gay is for this team (and how injury prone), I wouldn't mind signing Melo as a Rudy insurance, tbh.

Fusternino
11-23-2018, 02:19 PM
Honestly . . . signing Melo isn't a bad idea. I could see him playing well under Pop. But in reality in order to make a move to get better we need to move pieces. But we don't have any pieces other teams would be interested in.

Chillen
11-23-2018, 04:38 PM
I am cool with signing Melo actually as I think he is a better fit for this team than Rockets. If they can sign a washed up Tmac I don't see the problem in signing Melo.

duncan2k5
11-23-2018, 05:14 PM
I said I don't want to give him away. He still has value and the season is early. He had pretty good season last year so trading him at his low point makes no sense. I do think moving on from LMA is best for the team but showing a little patience doesn't mean I want him on the roster for the rest of his contract. The Spurs need to explore all options because unless Walker comes in and saves the day or LMA recaptures his game, I don't think this team is good enough (especially without Murray) to make the playoffs given how deep the west is this year.

But that's what I'm alluding to... I don't think LMA will regain his form because he doesn't play well with stars, and is getting older... So waiting around till he gets better may tank his value even more... Trade NOW!

duncan2k5
11-23-2018, 05:17 PM
I am cool with signing Melo actually as I think he is a better fit for this team than Rockets. If they can sign a washed up Tmac I don't see the problem in signing Melo.

Yea sure... Let's sign another washed up star in the tail end of their career that has no three point game, no defense, and doesn't play well with others

Poolboy5623
11-23-2018, 05:30 PM
You need pieces in order to make moves....the Spurs have shit.

koriwhat
11-23-2018, 05:31 PM

indeed.

tbdog
11-23-2018, 07:42 PM
If you want a proven star, you have to pay the price.

Don't need a proven star at all.

Snaq O'Meal
11-23-2018, 07:59 PM

No one except PATFO.

If Crater Face and his drunk personal assistant were to move to another team, they will bring those shitty players along with them.

BillMc
11-23-2018, 09:11 PM
Right before closing time, when she's a little drunk and we don't look so ugly.

John B
11-23-2018, 10:42 PM
Right before closing time, when she's a little drunk and we don't look so ugly.
Is that how you met your wife? :lol

BillMc
11-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Is that how you met your wife? :lol
:lol That's the plan. It's gotta work someday, right?

SpurPadre
11-23-2018, 11:07 PM

LeBron makes moves out of shit almost every season, tbh.

Poolboy5623
11-24-2018, 12:02 PM
LeBron makes moves out of shit almost every season, tbh.

Ok? The Spurs don't have Lebron, last time I checked....

ace3g
11-24-2018, 08:34 PM
December 1

Priority order for waiver claims is now based on 2018/19 record, rather than 2017/18 record. Teams with the worst records receive the highest waiver priority.

December 15

Most offseason signees become eligible (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/08/players-who-cant-be-traded-until-december-15-3.html) for inclusion in trades.

January 5

First day teams can sign players to 10-day contracts (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/01/hoops-rumors-glossary-10-day-contracts-3.html).

sasaint
11-24-2018, 08:37 PM
December 1

Priority order for waiver claims is now based on 2018/19 record, rather than 2017/18 record. Teams with the worst records receive the highest waiver priority.

December 15

Most offseason signees become eligible (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/08/players-who-cant-be-traded-until-december-15-3.html) for inclusion in trades.

January 5

First day teams can sign players to 10-day contracts (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/01/hoops-rumors-glossary-10-day-contracts-3.html).

Thanks!

Indianman
11-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Fultz is available.