PDA

View Full Version : What would be the benefit(s) of tanking?

Spurtacular
11-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Some have wanted this; others like me have been a bit dismissive of it. Tell me what you think we're going to get out of it. In the first place, how well could this team tank? Seems to me that we wouldn't even have that great of a chance of cracking the top ten in the draft...

koriwhat
11-24-2018, 07:00 PM
Some have wanted this; others like me have been a bit dismissive of it. Tell me what you think we're going to get out of it. In the first place, how well could this team tank? Seems to me that we wouldn't even have that great of a chance of cracking the top ten in the draft...

it's a dumb idea by fair-weather fans.

JeffDuncan
11-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Some have wanted this; others like me have been a bit dismissive of it. Tell me what you think we're going to get out of it.

What we'll get out of it?

Pride.

Honor.

Glory.

Enthusiasm!

The quiet satisfaction of a job well done.

Confidence.

Conflict resolution.

Spiritual enlightenment.

New insights.

Deeper understandings.

Closure.

To name just a few.

In the first place, how well could this team tank?

If they really tried they could tank like Jesus Christ on a Harley Davidson.

Seems to me that we wouldn't even have that great of a chance of cracking the top ten in the draft...

We could make that draft our bitch, just like you-know-who owned you-know-what.

Spurtacular
11-24-2018, 07:10 PM
We could make that draft our bitch, just like you-know-who owned you-know-what.

Highly doubtful this team would not get at least 28 wins even with tanking. We have to many vets who are here to win ball games.

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-24-2018, 07:18 PM
Chance at that kid from Duke. This team fucking sucks anyway, time to find a franchise player.

tim_duncan_fan
11-24-2018, 07:31 PM
We don't have to tank, clearly. Our inability to defend the paint or 3-point line (last night not withstanding) will lose games for us.

What do we get?

Hopefully a big man that actually plays in and defends the paint or an athletic 6'7 - 6'8 wing that can shoot the 3 without having to be wide open for 3 seconds first.

ducks
11-24-2018, 07:37 PM
The people that want to tank also have no faith in front office if they did get a top 5-10 pick

ducks
11-24-2018, 07:38 PM
Chance at that kid from Duke. This team fucking sucks anyway, time to find a franchise player.

When did duke ever produce a star ?

BackHome
11-24-2018, 07:43 PM
We have tanked before so don’t get your panties all wound up for those of us
who just want to tank THIS season. In case you don’t remember we got Timmy from tanking. :hungry:

11-24-2018, 07:50 PM
This draft is loaded with solid players that will fall somehwere between 10-15. We don’t need a top five pick tank job, but this season is obviously lost with murray out. There’s nothing to gain by not tanking. Ideally we secure another promising prospect in the draft to grow with Dejaunte and Lonnie.

Spurtacular
11-24-2018, 08:09 PM
We have tanked before so don’t get your panties all wound up for those of us
who just want to tank THIS season. In case you don’t remember we got Timmy from tanking. :hungry:

With D-Rob and Elliot out. It's not like LMA and DeRozan are out.

sasaint
11-24-2018, 08:12 PM
Done properly, tanking would involve getting rid of LMA.

sananspursfan21
11-24-2018, 08:31 PM
I guess a shot at Zion...

therealtruth
11-25-2018, 05:48 PM
And DDR and LMA aren't franchise players?

baseline bum
11-25-2018, 05:51 PM
No reason to tank with Derozan looking like a good fit. They can probably be a 50 win team next season with Murray back.

BackHome
11-26-2018, 02:53 AM
Still need a starting SF and a better bench I am not asking for a Chicago ie tank every year but this year would set us up nicely.

dynamodr3w
11-26-2018, 10:11 PM
When did duke ever produce a star ?

are you an idiot? Have you not seen zion?? Hes way better than lebron when he came out of college, hes a beast..will be a next hybrid lebron/shaq. So YES tank for zion .....yeah the front office can put a team together..but a championship team you need a super star and 1-2 stars. Zion is THAT and some...if you haven't watched any of the duke games you have no idea what your talking about. 61,000 posts and comes with a rebuttal "when did duke ever produce a star?" lol Its about a rare gem bro.

BillMc
11-26-2018, 10:13 PM
it's a dumb idea by fair-weather fans.

This.

Rusty
11-26-2018, 10:14 PM
#tankforZion

Spurtacular
11-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Nobody even talks names of who they want for tanking. I think it's a half-ass idea by board trolls at this point.

SAGirl
11-28-2018, 10:13 AM
nah there's just a lot of threads that already discussed this.

bklynspursfan
11-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Nobody even talks names of who they want for tanking. I think it's a half-ass idea by board trolls at this point.

basically

SuperCam
11-28-2018, 10:57 AM
the same PATFO slurpers always arguing against tanking would be slurping Zion the next decade if Spur managed to draft him tbh

Allan Rowe vs Wade
11-28-2018, 11:00 AM
are you an idiot? Have you not seen zion?? Hes way better than lebron when he came out of college

Chomag
11-28-2018, 11:16 AM
No reason try to tank, this team just might be that bad.

Chucho
11-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Tanking is as flawed as advanced metrics. Advanced metrics don't matter and doesn't win and just look at Philly. "The Process" is one of the most over rated things in all of sports the last decade. They whiffed more than they won with their draft picks and now went the route of trying to build a superteam but traded for a malcontent team killer in Butler.

r0drig0lac
11-28-2018, 01:06 PM
SAD

DAF86
11-28-2018, 02:36 PM
The idea is getting a future franchise player, but if the best player of this draft is that Dejuan Blair 2.0 that I've seen some clips of, let's just try to keep the playoffs streak going.

r0drig0lac
11-28-2018, 02:41 PM
The idea is getting a future franchise player, but if the best player of this draft is that Dejuan Blair 2.0 that I've seen some clips of, let's just try to keep the playoffs streak going.

who?

DAF86
11-28-2018, 02:59 PM
who?

That 6'6" PF that can't shoot but monkeballs.

r0drig0lac
11-28-2018, 03:59 PM
That 6'6" PF that can't shoot but monkeballs.

if you're talking about Zion he's very good, some people are just hoping for it to fail for some random reason

SuperCam
11-28-2018, 04:01 PM
if you're talking about Zion he's very good, some people are just rooting for him to fail for some random reason

No surprise the biggest White semen shielder on spurstalk has an atrocious take like this tbh

SnakeBoy
11-28-2018, 04:37 PM
No reason try to tank, this team just might be that bad.

/thread

NASpurs
11-28-2018, 10:16 PM
We need a Spurs version of this shit

http://i.imgur.com/RsJuRpz.gif

DAF86
11-29-2018, 11:26 AM
if you're talking about Zion he's very good, some people are just hoping for it to fail for some random reason

I've never seen him play, I'm just going by his characteristics: an undersized bigman that is known more for his athletic abilities than his skills. That screams bust all around, tbh.

Mirrornick
11-29-2018, 11:36 AM
No nba player will be able to guard Zion when he reaches 23 y/o. He's going to destroy the defenses

Mirrornick
11-29-2018, 11:38 AM
I've never seen him play, I'm just going by his characteristics: an undersized bigman that is known more for his athletic abilities than his skills. That screams bust all around, tbh.

He is skilled for a 18 year old. He's shorter than your average big man, but hes stronger and faster more athletic. I didn't know having a tall stiff is better according to you.

r0drig0lac
11-29-2018, 12:14 PM

hybrid rich man dray + randle or maybe shaw kemp, if he gets into the nba today, he would already be one of the most physically imposing 5-10 players in the league (he's really an aberration), it's except shooting (for now), he does everything else at the elite level, it's impossible to go wrong

No nba player will be able to guard Zion when he reaches 23 y/o. He's going to destroy the defenses
with the current rules I do not think he can be defended even in his rookie year, he will go to the free throw line so many times, is not even funny

DAF86
11-29-2018, 12:25 PM
He is skilled for a 18 year old. He's shorter than your average big man, but hes stronger and faster more athletic. I didn't know having a tall stiff is better according to you.

Yeah, size matters in basketball. Also, if you could shoot or pass or do anything more than just jumping over people, that would be great too.

Russ
11-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Tanking must be organic not a conscious choice.

It's zen.

You do it when you don't do it.

Ibleedslvrnblk
11-29-2018, 02:09 PM
Nothing good comes out of Duke. Everything is broken or has baggage. Name one franchise changing player in the last 15 years to come from Duke? Kyrie? Traded, hurt, retiring possibly already?

Chucho
11-29-2018, 02:25 PM
He's 6'7 and nearly 300 lbs. That's the "prize" of this draft. Bust potential in the NBA is massive.

SpurSpike
11-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Iv always hated people jumping on the tank too soon and wanting to blow up the team...

However i'm starting to come around to the idea of tanking this season. I want to see how they do with the next 10 or so games. If they can gel and get a good winning streak going, win at least 7 of the next 10 games i feel they should keep trying to push for the playoffs. But if they keep slipping after the next 10 games then i think it would probably be best for next season to do a mini tank. Reason being is that the spurs are not a bad team, they have been ravaged by injury's and last years drama. By mini tank i mean don't blow up the team. Keep your strong players and move players that are redundant for some 3D wings.

Tanking will give Walker and the rest of our young core all the playing time they needs in the NBA to get a feel for the pro game and they will be experienced by next year. Add also that we will get DJ back next year (he could still have a break out year!) and add a lottery draft pick and the spurs will have a nice mix of experienced vets and leadership with a healthy amount of youth. They with the right draft pick and the correct trades the Spurs could very well be contenders by next year.

Perhaps this was Pops plan all along? Would explain the strange construction of the team. He wont do a full on obvious tank, but he can make holes in the roster that can create a stealth tank! He knows this is the only way, they need to suck this year so they can be great next year and retire with a bang! lol

urunobili
11-29-2018, 05:50 PM
#tankforZion