PDA

View Full Version : Lakers and Memphis Both Lost

Ragamuffin
11-25-2018, 08:40 PM
good news for spurs...

DMC
11-25-2018, 08:41 PM
good news for spurs...

Yeah, if they all lose their next 30 games, Spurs could sneak in.

Beartrucci
11-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Yeah, if they all lose their next 30 games, Spurs could sneak in.

Hey you never know! Lonnie's gonna shine in the G-League and who knows what he'll do with his 5 mpg once he comes up. LMA's suddenly going to play well with another star too. Can't wait.

BatManu20
11-25-2018, 08:52 PM
10/10 Thread. Will recommend to friends and family.

NASpurs
11-25-2018, 08:53 PM
How is this good news? It's bad for the tank.

*edit* nvm, we should be focusing on teams on our level, like the Kings and Mavs.

HWoodNixon
11-25-2018, 08:54 PM
Would rather tank .

Ragamuffin
11-25-2018, 09:03 PM
why you dont want spurs in playoff ?

Ragamuffin
11-25-2018, 09:03 PM

*edit* nvm, we should be focusing on teams on our level, like the Kings and Mavs.

why you dont want spurs in playoff ?

JeffDuncan
11-25-2018, 09:15 PM
We want.

But we think we don't get.

HWoodNixon
11-25-2018, 09:17 PM
Because there is zero chance of winning a championship given the talent level of the team. Tanking ensures us a lottery pick so we can be more competitive in the future.

NASpurs
11-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Yeah there’s nothing like getting raped in the first round again for a non lottery pick! Woo mediocrity

Ragamuffin
11-25-2018, 09:22 PM
understand thanks all ...

tbdog
11-25-2018, 10:15 PM
Because there is zero chance of winning a championship given the talent level of the team. Tanking ensures us a lottery pick so we can be more competitive in the future.

That is such a weak minded losers mentality and just really pathetic. You must bring so much bright energy to family dinner.

DejuanorwhatDude
11-25-2018, 10:28 PM
That is such a weak minded losers mentality and just really pathetic. You must bring so much bright energy to family dinner.

So the Warriors shouldn't have lost enough games to get Steph Curry in 2009? Or were they "weak minded losers" for doing that?

To get great players you generally have to lose enough games to have the right to do that and then have the smarts to pick the right player when given the chance.

NASpurs
11-25-2018, 10:29 PM
Great night overall in the grand schemes of things. With the Jazz winning and the Wolves on their little winning streak, the Spurs are a couple of losses away from being the second worst team in the West and there's not that much (5 games in the L column) separating them from the Suns.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-25-2018, 10:55 PM
The Spurs are a loss out of the 8 seed. Just the way the season will be in the West. There’s going to be a logjam for 6-12 in the conference all year I think. Heck, maybe 3 thru 12 if some of the other teams come to earth.

tbdog
11-25-2018, 11:09 PM
So the Warriors shouldn't have lost enough games to get Steph Curry in 2009? Or were they "weak minded losers" for doing that?

To get great players you generally have to lose enough games to have the right to do that and then have the smarts to pick the right player when given the chance.

Plenty of teams have tanked and walked out with nothing. Some have stayed down there. Curry was picked 7th btw. 2 Pg's were drafted before him, Flynn and Rubio. 2 more guards were drafted before him, Harden and Evans. Thabeet was drafted 2nd overall. Tanking guarantees nothing except loses, lowers income due to merchandise and tickets sales being poor. Then it can cause major divisions within the organisation. Coaches want to succeed while management doesn't. Vets want to play but the youth movement takes priority. Players are on the chopping block come trade deadline at the expense of draft picks. And this can linger for years.

HWoodNixon
11-25-2018, 11:49 PM
Plenty of teams have tanked and walked out with nothing. Some have stayed down there. Curry was picked 7th btw. 2 Pg's were drafted before him, Flynn and Rubio. 2 more guards were drafted before him, Harden and Evans. Thabeet was drafted 2nd overall. Tanking guarantees nothing except loses, lowers income due to merchandise and tickets sales being poor. Then it can cause major divisions within the organisation. Coaches want to succeed while management doesn't. Vets want to play but the youth movement takes priority. Players are on the chopping block come trade deadline at the expense of draft picks. And this can linger for years.

if the Spurs are the so called best run organization in sports, then surely those aren’t issues!

YGWHI
11-25-2018, 11:49 PM
The Spurs are a loss out of the 8 seed. Just the way the season will be in the West. There’s going to be a logjam for 6-12 in the conference all year I think. Heck, maybe 3 thru 12 if some of the other teams come to earth.

Agree. I have no doubt the Spurs will make the playoffs. There are other teams-records that aren't sustainable long term.

Spurtacular
11-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Only 63 games left and the OP is worried about playoff positioning. SMH

therealtruth
11-26-2018, 03:42 AM
No guarantee the Spurs will make the playoffs. I think they've had one of the easiest SOS so far and they haven't taken advantage. Past Spurs teams used to feast on the easy schedules. The Nuggets could take their playoff spot this year. Also the Jazz will probably figure it out like they did last year. And don't forget the Lakers with Lebron. That's a tough bet that Lebron won't make the playoffs.

ceperez
11-26-2018, 05:15 AM
The league has picked up on many ideas that made the Spurs successful in the past. 3 point shooting, moving the ball, exhausting the opponent etc. So what is happening now in the West is that its almost a dead heat for every team. If you cannot bring in the energy every game, then you can't expect to win due to pure talent.

Spurs are playing poorly but an even more talented team (i.e. Utah) has a worse record! The top 4 teams today in the West include the Clippers, Nuggets and Grizzlies. Who would have thought!

tbdog
11-26-2018, 06:59 AM
if the Spurs are the so called best run organization in sports, then surely those aren’t issues!

They the best because they haven't' tank for 20 years. The last time they did it was forced upon them when DR and Person missed the whole season, and Sean Elliot missed half. That was back in the day when it was one star per team type of thing. Yet the lottery balls dropped for us and we ended up with TD and not Keith Van Horn. I wonder how things would have gone if Spurs got Van Horn instead?

sananspursfan21
11-26-2018, 07:29 AM

This is my mentality with it. Play hard night in and night out. If you genuinely suck that bad, fine. Here’s your lottery pick. Otherwise, fight hard because talent isn’t guaranteed, even if you think perpetual losing is.

sananspursfan21
11-26-2018, 07:29 AM

This is my mentality with it. Play hard night in and night out. If you genuinely suck that bad, fine. Here’s your lottery pick. Otherwise, fight hard because talent isn’t guaranteed, even if you think perpetual losing is.

ceperez
11-26-2018, 07:34 AM

Yup! Spurs value culture and corporate knowledge. The league just happens to be better because a lot of what the Spurs did right, the other teams are adopting.

bklynspursfan
11-26-2018, 08:22 AM
Great night overall in the grand schemes of things. With the Jazz winning and the Wolves on their little winning streak, the Spurs are a couple of losses away from being the second worst team in the West and there's not that much (5 games in the L column) separating them from the Suns.

You're gonna be so mad when they string together some wins lol. Tanking guarantees nothing

NASpurs
11-26-2018, 08:28 AM
You're gonna be so mad when they string together some wins lol. Tanking guarantees nothing

You said they would go 2-1 vs the Grizzlies, Pacers and Bucks. You know nothing. :lol Maybe you meant moral victories lol

And tanking is better than a first round raping and a consolation prize of a shitty high pick. If you really trust PATFO, then imagine what kind of player they would find with a lottery pick. They could probably even package that pick + Toronto pick to move up or trade for an actual good player.

r0drig0lac
11-26-2018, 08:40 AM
You said they would go 2-1 vs the Grizzlies, Pacers and Bucks. You know nothing. :lol Maybe you meant moral victories lol

And tanking is better than a first round raping and a consolation prize of a shitty high pick. If you really trust PATFO, then imagine what kind of player they would find with a lottery pick. They could probably even package that pick + Toronto pick to move up or trade for an actual good player.

several teams have shown that you can be competitive without intentional tank, and even more teams have shown that being in the lottery guarantees absolutely nothing, it's all about the front office, scout and player development system, Spurs probably has the worst group of role players to put around stars right now (this is a pessoal opinion), but we have two proven stars, with an elite support roster (this is PATFO's job , we would probably be one of the top 4 teams in the league

Ragamuffin
11-26-2018, 08:43 AM
several teams have shown that you can be competitive without intentional tank, and even more teams have shown that being in the lottery guarantees absolutely nothing, it's all about the front office, scout and player development system, Spurs probably has the worst group of role players to put around stars right now (this is a pessoal opinion), but we have two proven stars, with an elite support roster (this is PATFO's job , we would probably be one of the top 4 teams in the league

I agree but I think 6-7 th

r0drig0lac
11-26-2018, 08:44 AM
our roster is bad because of the cascade effect of the mistakes made by Pop, not because we did not have lottery picks

NASpurs
11-26-2018, 08:46 AM

All I'm saying is that the PATFO fluffers are the ones to quickly dismiss tanking by saying that tanking doesn't guarantee shit. To me it proves they talk out of one side of their mouths showing how little faith they have in PATFO.

NASpurs
11-26-2018, 08:51 AM
our roster is bad because of the cascade effect of the mistakes made by Pop, not because we did not have lottery picks

True but this team isn't a free agency attraction. Only way the Spurs are going to improve is by drafting the next Kawhi (or Manu, TP, Duncan, etc) because that's how they do it. And people, don't give me that shit of "we're players after 2019 in the free agency scene" because it's funny how that year keeps moving up due to incompetency and handing out loyalty contracts.

r0drig0lac
11-26-2018, 08:51 AM
All I'm saying is that the PATFO fluffers are the ones to quickly dismiss tanking by saying that tanking doesn't guarantee shit. To me it proves they talk out of one side of their mouths showing how little faith they have in PATFO.

usually I agree with you, just in the specific case of losing intentionally I could not do it (although I believe our team is bad enough to lose 50 games this season)

NASpurs
11-26-2018, 08:53 AM
usually I agree with you, just in the specific case of losing intentionally I could not do it (although I believe our team is bad enough to lose 50 games this season)

It's all good man. We can agree to disagree.

And yeah, this team was barely .500 with one of the easiest schedules. We haven't seen anything yet. :lol

tbdog
11-26-2018, 08:56 AM

Well we were a shitt reff decision from being 2-1 in that trip. Actually, a first-round raping is better than years of non-first round rapings. Look at the Twolves, lottery after lottery, to finally get a round 1 raping. There have been a bunch of teams that have not gotten past the 1st round for years. Even championship teams like the Pistons. In 08 they win 59 wins and lose to the Celtics in the in the ECF. They fire Flip and the next season trade Billups for AI. They have won a total of ZERO playoff games since that 08 run. This is a team with 5 NBA titles. They haven't won a playoff game in 10 years. I think they drafted 1 allstar player (Drummond) in that time frame.

Tanking does nothing for your organisation unless it's an injury-plagued year and you move towards youth movement.. You blow it up if the team can not go any further. That there can be no further improvements to the team without it destroying its future. Clippers was a recent team that just had nothing more than it could give. Wizards will be the next team on the block.

SAGirl
11-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Neither does what they are doing if you want to go there...

But I wouldn’t trade Demar or Lamarcus just to get picks at this point. They may just end up being a bad team regardless...

NASpurs
11-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Well we were a shitt reff decision from being 2-1 in that trip. Actually, a first-round raping is better than years of non-first round rapings. Look at the Twolves, lottery after lottery, to finally get a round 1 raping. There have been a bunch of teams that have not gotten past the 1st round for years. Even championship teams like the Pistons. In 08 they win 59 wins and lose to the Celtics in the in the ECF. They fire Flip and the next season trade Billups for AI. They have won a total of ZERO playoff games since that 08 run. This is a team with 5 NBA titles. They haven't won a playoff game in 10 years. I think they drafted 1 allstar player (Drummond) in that time frame.

Tanking does nothing for your organisation unless it's an injury-plagued year and you move towards youth movement.. You blow it up if the team can not go any further. That there can be no further improvements to the team without it destroying its future. Clippers was a recent team that just had nothing more than it could give. Wizards will be the next team on the block.

It still doesn't change the fact that the team went 1-2, whether they were blown out by 40 or lost by a bunch of buzzer beaters. "Almost" victories aren't anywhere on the standings last time I checked.

People here are thinking that I'm talking about full blown blow it up. I'm talking about conspiracy levels of tanking. What I bolded is what I want. Just one year of "wink wink" injuries and with the trend so far this season, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what were to happen.

tbdog
11-26-2018, 09:27 AM
It still doesn't change the fact that the team went 1-2, whether they were blown out by 40 or lost by a bunch of buzzer beaters. "Almost" victories aren't anywhere on the standings last time I checked.

People here are thinking that I'm talking about full blown blow it up. I'm talking about conspiracy levels of tanking. What I bolded is what I want. Just one year of "wink wink" injuries and with the trend so far this season, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what were to happen.

It would take more legit injuries before the wink wink ones happen. Due to West having no legit tanking team, the west is going to be tight. I wouldn't be suprised there are a lot of 40 to 45 win teams making the playoffs. It's not like the days when there were 10 very good West teams with 10 bad East teams to beat up. East teams are upsetting West teams this year. Thunder were like 0-5 and now the top 4 teams in the first 20 games. We don't know where the injury bug will strike and who. We don't know we going to remain healthy from now on and Lebron goes down for 5 games. The west is so tight any team could bomb out with a bad injury month.

bklynspursfan
11-26-2018, 10:18 AM
Neither does what they are doing if you want to go there...

But I wouldn’t trade Demar or Lamarcus just to get picks at this point. They may just end up being a bad team regardless...

Trying to win basketball games without their starting PG? lol

They're actually playing better, and trending in the right direction. Losing games purposely wont guarantee a dam thing. They already have 2 first round picks

bklynspursfan
11-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Exactly. We already have some really good young/promising talent.

SAGirl
11-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Trying to win basketball games without their starting PG? lol

They're actually playing better, and trending in the right direction. Losing games purposely wont guarantee a dam thing. They already have 2 first round picks
Have no energy for this. Will be brief: They need talent long term (short term too but I don’t expect much this season in terms of trades like any season really). I don’t advocate cleaning up the roster this year but if you are going to be a bad team it’s better to be quite bad than to be barely scrapping by and missing. You can be really barely making it as a developing young team that hopes to make a leap kinda like Denver for example, but if you are a veteran team like this one, that doesn’t make sense.

NASpurs
11-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Exactly. We already have some really good young/promising talent.

Every fucking team in the NBA has "young/promising talent". :lol

SuperCam
11-26-2018, 11:01 AM
spurms still only have 17% chance of making the playoffs

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2019-nba-predictions/

TheGreatYacht
11-26-2018, 11:01 AM

:lmao

SuperCam
11-26-2018, 11:05 AM

it's clear most spur fans, especially the PATFO suckers, really don't watch the rest of the league night to night :lol

Murray, White, Walker; no one would have ever heard of either of them if they were playing in Orlando or Charlotte. few fans outside of this board even know who they are tbh, which is to be expected of players who would be very lucky if they developed into even a 1x all star (murray) and those that it's likely they won't even be starter quality ever in the league (white)

NASpurs
11-26-2018, 11:13 AM
it's clear most spur fans, especially the PATFO suckers, really don't watch the rest of the league night to night :lol

Murray, White, Walker; no one would have ever heard of either of them if they were playing in Orlando or Charlotte. few fans outside of this board even know who they are tbh, which is to be expected of players who would be very lucky if they developed into even a 1x all star (murray) and those that it's likely they won't even be starter quality ever in the league (white)

And all of those three guys have medical issues. White is injury prone, Murray is rehabbing from a major injury and Walker has a history which is why he dropped so low in the draft. And I hope to God they're not including Forbes and lottery pick Poeltl in the "young/promising" talent. :lol

Whoope-fucking-do!

timtonymanu
11-26-2018, 11:18 AM
Team should have been tanking after Murray went down. Lol @ people wanting another playoff sweep and a mediocre first round pick to follow.

MVPCues
11-26-2018, 11:19 AM
This kind of thread after 19 games? Even if you are in the "better to always strive to win and make the playoffs because tanking is no guarantee" camp, it's mighty early to start noting when others keep up with a losing pace .

SuperCam
11-26-2018, 11:26 AM
And all of those three guys have medical issues. White is injury prone, Murray is rehabbing from a major injury and Walker has a history which is why he dropped so low in the draft. And I hope to God they're not including Forbes and lottery pick Poeltl in the "young/promising" talent. :lol

Whoope-fucking-do!

if you consider young talent to be 24 and under then spur really only have better "young talent" than the following teams, perhaps:

cleveland
golden state
oklahoma city
detroit
washington
miami

really not that impressive of a list to be bragging about tbqh. and if it weren't for murray who is overrated here anyways spur would be dead last :lol

bklynspursfan
11-26-2018, 11:26 AM

So what do you think tanking is gonna do? Get you another Tim Duncan? :lol

NASpurs
11-26-2018, 11:44 AM
So what do you think tanking is gonna do? Get you another Tim Duncan? :lol

Way to make a jump there buddy. But you're content with mediocrity and/or you're delusional thinking this team is actually any good so this is who I'm dealing with. :lol

bklynspursfan
11-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Way to make a jump there buddy. But you're content with mediocrity and/or you're delusional thinking this team is actually any good so this is who I'm dealing with. :lol

Seriously, you want the team to tank, i'm curious what your expectations are?

I'm spoiled, I hate how last year went. I hate that Murray got hurt and it screwed up what should have been a bounce back year. But yea, if I'm going to watch/support a mostly healthy team, I'd much rather watch competitive basketball than watch them purposely lose games.

NASpurs
11-26-2018, 12:02 PM
Seriously, you want the team to tank, i'm curious what your expectations are?

I'm spoiled, I hate how last year went. I hate that Murray got hurt and it screwed up what should have been a bounce back year. But yea, if I'm going to watch/support a mostly healthy team, I'd much rather watch competitive basketball than watch them purposely lose games.

We have two different philosophies but obviously we both want the team to succeed; we just look at it differently. I want them to draft someone that's a game changer and covers the team's needs because I don't care how much cap space this team has in 2025 seeing as this team hamstrings themselves by handing out contracts to existing players like they're going out of style... and let's be real, SA is not a free agent hotspot.

And like I said earlier, either draft someone that's a game changer OR trade their picks to move further up OR make a trade and dangle the pick by actually having an actual asset for once that a team would want for a player (or players) the Spurs could get. I said actual assets and not make believe assets.

bklynspursfan
11-26-2018, 03:03 PM
We have two different philosophies but obviously we both want the team to succeed; we just look at it differently. I want them to draft someone that's a game changer and covers the team's needs because I don't care how much cap space this team has in 2025 seeing as this team hamstrings themselves by handing out contracts to existing players like they're going out of style... and let's be real, SA is not a free agent hotspot.

And like I said earlier, either draft someone that's a game changer OR trade their picks to move further up OR make a trade and dangle the pick by actually having an actual asset for once that a team would want for a player (or players) the Spurs could get. I said actual assets and not make believe assets.

Totally fair. But does tanking guarantee that they'll land that game changer?

If not, might as well go out and compete. If nothing else, build up some guys trade value and see what happens. & yea, trading their picks could definitely come in handy depending on how the chips fall come draft time.

exstatic
11-26-2018, 03:16 PM

Ask the Philly fans about their 5 years of hell to not even be in the LoB conversation. They have no better chance to ring than we do, although they'll likely go further in the playoffs in the lEastern Conference.

exstatic
11-26-2018, 03:20 PM

It's not about PATFO, it's about who's available. Three years after Tim Duncan, our 'prize' would have been Michael Olowokandi. Finished products just aren't available in the draft any more, and frankly, a lot of top 10 picks think they ARE ready.

Seventyniner
11-26-2018, 05:22 PM

Your last point is correct, but going 1-2 over the last three where the win was comforable, one loss was pretty close and on the road against a very good team, and the other was given to the opponent by a bad no-call is far different than losing the two by 40 and scraping by in the win. While both cases count the same in the standings, they paint very different predictive pictures. Deciding whether or not to tank involves looking into the future, not the past.

ECOV
11-26-2018, 05:25 PM
Team should have been tanking after Murray went down. Lol @ people wanting another playoff sweep and a mediocre first round pick to follow.

Only pussies give up.

timtonymanu
11-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Only pussies give up.

Not giving up. Just what’s the point of another first round exit when this team can get a higher draft pick. But no, we can keep pretending that guys like Dante Cunningham is gonna be enough to make a run.

Coach X
11-26-2018, 07:19 PM
It would take more legit injuries before the wink wink ones happen. Due to West having no legit tanking team, the west is going to be tight. I wouldn't be suprised there are a lot of 40 to 45 win teams making the playoffs. It's not like the days when there were 10 very good West teams with 10 bad East teams to beat up. East teams are upsetting West teams this year. Thunder were like 0-5 and now the top 4 teams in the first 20 games. We don't know where the injury bug will strike and who. We don't know we going to remain healthy from now on and Lebron goes down for 5 games. The west is so tight any team could bomb out with a bad injury month.

I agree with all your posts in this thread. In this time of all or nothing, the best or the worst, now or never, is good to read measured observations.

Youngsters can't see the obvious: If tanking is that good, why isn't into it any no-contender team? I don't see more than a handful of them tanking. Maybe front offices are considering the number of teams that tanked during the past seasons and how many of these teams actually improved?? Nah, they are just stupid, they don't have the experience, the knowledge, and the data needed to make good decisions. They better listen to us, despised and misunderstood basketball minds, waiting in this forum to be discovered by the world.