PDA

View Full Version : League Figured us out. Should the Spurs shut it down?

BlackAndWhite
11-30-2018, 10:36 PM
It seems like there isn't a point in playing anymore. Should the spurs shutdown its starters (derozan and aldridge) and begin the tank process?

TheGreatYacht
11-30-2018, 10:38 PM
If they want to begin the tank process then they should keep RC and Pop without generational talent to carry them

Pavlov
11-30-2018, 10:38 PM
It seems like there isn't a point in playing anymore. Should the spurs shutdown its starters (derozan and aldridge) and begin the tank process?What would be the difference if they keep losing when they play them?

BlackAndWhite
11-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Save them for next season. You don't want a kneerose situation

Pavlov
11-30-2018, 10:41 PM
Save them for next season. You don't want a kneerose situationCan't see them going for that. Don't have to Thibodeau them.

spursparker9
11-30-2018, 10:43 PM
LMA will probably request for a trade before playoffs

BlackAndWhite
11-30-2018, 10:46 PM
He was good last year but this year he seems like cancer. I want to keep Derozan though

Spurtacular
11-30-2018, 10:55 PM
:lol That the league was worried about "figuring out" Los Spurs.

sananspursfan21
11-30-2018, 10:56 PM
Back in my day, I walked 15 miles to a computer, logged in, and found quality posts. Ah, the good old days. I miss those days

K...
11-30-2018, 11:07 PM
What's there to figure out about LMA shooting weak fadeaways?

Hoops Czar
11-30-2018, 11:09 PM
Team leaders don't do that.

spursparker9
11-30-2018, 11:26 PM
Team leaders don't do that.

Yes. But considering that when he joined the Spurs (Pop and Duncan recruited him) in 2015, he was looking to win a championship.

Now it is obvious that Spurs don't have the firepower/talents to win now. He will be 34 next year, so is possible that he ask for trade this season or just play out the contract this year and leave as free agent.

Play Boban
12-01-2018, 12:50 AM
Back in my day, I walked 15 miles to a computer, logged in, and found quality posts. Ah, the good old days. I miss those days
Was your days the hot and fast days of Roger Mason chucking 3s and Keith Bogans looking like a BAMF tbh?

fusionjazzman72
12-01-2018, 01:20 AM
He needs more touches!!!!:lol

sananspursfan21
12-01-2018, 02:59 AM
Was your days the hot and fast days of Roger Mason chucking 3s and Keith Bogans looking like a BAMF tbh?

Don’t forget RJ!

xellos88330
12-01-2018, 03:13 AM
Defense is a huge problem. I was hopeful after a couple of good showings earlier in the season, but now it is just abysmal. Maybe there will be a defensive gem available for a trade or something because right now other teams are fearless attacking our paint.

dontouchmebwo
12-01-2018, 03:31 AM
May as well tank, hopefully we can pull a Memphis, draft a stud like they did with Jackson Jr. and rebound from there. Murray, White, Walker, lotto pick is a good start.

Chillen
12-01-2018, 04:52 AM
RC and Pop should just sign the Harlem Globetrotters.

RC_Drunkford
12-01-2018, 05:38 AM
call up Ben Moore and play him and Lonnie Walker 30 min every game so they can develop. Also play White about 25 to do the same. Gotta use those games to develop players and see if there are any trades out there that you can make

SpursDynasty85
12-01-2018, 05:50 AM
Jack yes. Shutdown Cunningham, Belli, and Gasol permanently. Walker and Metu more burn. Keep riding White.

michaelwcho
12-02-2018, 12:20 AM
This team is done. Kawhi was the unexpected gold nugget that showed up after the gold rush was over in the same way that Timmie was the second gold rush. For whatever reason, the Kawhi thing didn't work out and now we're in small market hell. Losing Manu hurt, and also getting rid of Slo-Mo, who was a sneaky important part of the team. Your two best players are inefficient 2-point shooters with average defense. How much of a rebuild will Pop want to watch over, and is he even the right guy to do it?

Still, if the Spurs stay smart, eventually they'll claw their way back into the playoffs. Who knows? If they strike gold again, they're the kind of organization that can take advantage of it. But it'll take a lot of luck.

cd021
12-02-2018, 12:37 AM
Pop could try not starting Cunningham and watch as the offense and defense improve without him weighing it down.

Belinelli also needs to play a lot better or give Walker a shot. That would be a decent start to improving the team internally, they shouldn't be nearly this bad.

Rusty
12-02-2018, 01:31 AM
figured us out?? We're not the Warriors:lol

Slippy
12-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Defense is a huge problem. I was hopeful after a couple of good showings earlier in the season, but now it is just abysmal. Maybe there will be a defensive gem available for a trade or something because right now other teams are fearless attacking our paint.

What was it rockets scored in 3 quarters . 110 points. Offense is definitely not the problem

dbestpro
12-02-2018, 10:10 AM
This season will define the legacy of Popovich. If he can turn it around, he will be able to wear the title as one of the three best coaches ever. If not, then people will look at him as a coach who was right place, right time. We are seeing that it is more the later.

ECOV
12-02-2018, 11:34 AM
call up Ben Moore and play him and Lonnie Walker 30 min every game so they can develop. Also play White about 25 to do the same. Gotta use those games to develop players and see if there are any trades out there that you can make
yup still play hard each game, tanking wont make you nearly as better. just look at phx

SuperCam
12-02-2018, 11:42 AM
you guys are giving coaches way too much credit. they are swinging maybe half a dozen wins or less a year. teams in this league live and die by their talent on the court, or lack of. spur locked in a losing season before it even started with their terrible front office moves. any functional retard can figure out it's very easy to score against whatever unathletic midget shooting guard is playing PG, a g-league SF, a mentally checked out LMAlpha, or an unmotivated defrozen.

K...
12-02-2018, 11:43 AM
The spurs are going to have t figure it out, what is the team?

without a clear HOF leader, the spurs are just another team,albeit one with a competent FO for now. If Lonnie, Murray, and peotl are enough to build, then grab a complimentary player. If it isn't then the spurs are fucked because a tank isn't enough to get HOF players in any specific year. you need "the process" at that point.

r0drig0lac
12-02-2018, 11:52 AM
you guys are giving coaches way too much credit. they are swinging maybe half a dozen wins or less a year. teams in this league live and die by their talent on the court, or lack of.

Coach X
12-02-2018, 12:07 PM
you guys are giving coaches way too much credit. they are swinging maybe half a dozen wins or less a year. teams in this league live and die by their talent on the court, or lack of. spur locked in a losing season before it even started with their terrible front office moves. any functional retard can figure out it's very easy to score against whatever unathletic midget shooting guard is playing PG, a g-league SF, a mentally checked out LMAlpha, or an unmotivated defrozen.
I have to disagree.

You are not winning without talented players AND you are not winning without good coaching. It's not one or the other, both are necessary.

I don't understand why professional coaches are so disrespected. We all understand an accountant, a plumber, an engineer or a web designer are professionals with a certain level of knowledge and ability. Sure there are the good ones and the mediocre ones, but how stupid would be to think that any of us can do their jobs better than them just because we have watched them do a 10% of their job on TV?

SuperCam
12-02-2018, 12:30 PM
I have to disagree.

You are not winning without talented players AND you are not winning without good coaching. It's not one or the other, both are necessary.

I don't understand why professional coaches are so disrespected. We all understand an accountant, a plumber, an engineer or a web designer are professionals with a certain level of knowledge and ability. Sure there are the good ones and the mediocre ones, but how stupid would be to think that any of us can do their jobs better than them just because we have watched them do a 10% of their job on TV?

Ty lue won a championship against a 73 win warrior team. how did phil jackson look when he didnt have jordan or prime kobe and gasol? kerr was out for half a year and mediocre coaches like mike brown and luke walton took over and the warrior didn't perform any worse. coaching matters on the margins but that's it. otherwise they are glorified baseball managers whose most important role is not fucking up rotations. Pop's biggest failure isn't game day, it's the atrocious roster he put together months before the season started.

Coach X
12-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Valid argument in case Ty Lue coached by himself the team. The coaching team has much more members. The head coach is just the manager of the team but there are between 15-20 professional coaches working on a daily basis.

As I said: it's impossible to win without talented players. Also, you can look to a large list of "super" teams with a lot of talented players that failed and didn't manage to win. Just FYI, ALL the teams have coaches working for their goals.;)
And again, I'm not saying coaches are more important than players, just saying they have a key role as well, they are prepared professionals that deserve some respect. Of course, you can criticize their decisions but don't forget they have 50 times more information than you about what's going on in that team, what are the players supposed to do, what are the other teams really doing on the court, etc.

I'm just demanding some respect and humility.

TD 21
12-02-2018, 05:10 PM

Exactly. In terms of strategy, coaching used to matter more before the league became homogenized. Virtually everyone but the Spurs is aware of how you need to be built now and once you stumble into it, like the Warriors and Raptors, there's very little actual coaching required.

They don't have to make big/small, offense/defense decisions (things that can alter the geometry/spacing of the floor, the style of defense you play, etc.). Instead, they get to have it all because it's inherent in their best lineups.

baseline bum
12-02-2018, 05:15 PM
they shouldn't be nearly this bad.

I disagree, 10-12 is about where they probably should be without Murray in this conference. Especially with Aldridge shitting himself when having to share touches being something reasonably predictable.

Beartrucci
12-02-2018, 05:18 PM
Not much we can do with roster unless Lonnie ends up being a sort of Donovan Mitchell #2 (like Pop would let that happen even if it was feasible anyway) With Murray out and with everyone we let walk or traded, we just flat out suck.

Shut it down? I wouldn't say that. Let's see what we have in Lonnie, White, Poodle and I guess Metu :lol

man this FO lately...

DMC
12-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Spurs don't have the talent to go anywhere. :lol Spurs "fans" ready to execute the coach after 20 games after having 20 consecutive playoff appearances and 5 championships.

jjktkk
12-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Spurs don't have the talent to go anywhere. :lol Spurs "fans" ready to execute the coach after 20 games after having 20 consecutive playoff appearances and 5 championships.

Its amazing to me the hatred some of these dipshits have for Pop. You would think the Spurs have been the Washington Generals for the past 20 years. Pop has his warts, but c'mon.:lol

DMC
12-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Its amazing to me the hatred some of these dipshits have for Pop. You would think the Spurs have been the Washington Generals for the past 20 years. Pop has his warts, but c'mon.:lol

Not to worry. A couple down years will see the shedding of these leg riders who hopped on during a championship season or just after.

DMC
12-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Ty lue won a championship against a 73 win warrior team. how did phil jackson look when he didnt have jordan or prime kobe and gasol? kerr was out for half a year and mediocre coaches like mike brown and luke walton took over and the warrior didn't perform any worse. coaching matters on the margins but that's it. otherwise they are glorified baseball managers whose most important role is not fucking up rotations. Pop's biggest failure isn't game day, it's the atrocious roster he put together months before the season started.

We no longer have scouts like Danny Ferry. This is why we are seeing so many duds but that puts us on par with the rest of the league. Spurs were an anomaly for years with their "diamond in the rough" discoveries that shined once put next to the big 3 and that team atmosphere. Now it's a clusterfuck.

mexicanjunior
12-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Fuck this team..tank and move to Vegas already...

RC_Drunkford
12-02-2018, 08:17 PM

it's not really hatred, it's more of knowing he's one of the best coaches ever if not the best and him not living up to it cause he's not invested enough. Tonight against Portland you can see Pop actually coaching. Talking to players when they took a bad shot. Taking a time out when they have lapses on defense. Being in the huddle talking to players. When's the last time he has done that this season? And being that he's the one constructing the roster, he deserves part of the blame. I still think he can right the ship with a trade and hard coaching

jjktkk
12-02-2018, 08:33 PM
it's not really hatred, it's more of knowing he's one of the best coaches ever if not the best and him not living up to it cause he's not invested enough. Tonight against Portland you can see Pop actually coaching. Talking to players when they took a bad shot. Taking a time out when they have lapses on defense. Being in the huddle talking to players. When's the last time he has done that this season? And being that he's the one constructing the roster, he deserves part of the blame. I still think he can right the ship with a trade and hard coaching

You can absolutely slam him and RC for this shit roster, although Kawhi debacle really screwed this team. I still think last year was one of his better coaching jobs. Sometimes I think it is hard to separate Pop the coach from Pop the GM.

cd021
12-03-2018, 11:49 PM
I disagree, 10-12 is about where they probably should be without Murray in this conference. Especially with Aldridge shitting himself when having to share touches being something reasonably predictable.

Pop hasn't helped; starting a player in Cunningham that is such a non threat on offense and meh on defense when Bertans was always the better option.

Some of the Spurs struggles can be blamed on Aldridge for sure but also why are the Spur consistently towards the bottom of the league in 3pt attempts in a league where shooting 3s are increasingly valued. I don't think that this team is some juggernaut but I do think that better coaching should have them higher up in the standings.

TheCerebral1
12-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Trade: LaMarcus Aldrigdge, Demar DeRozan, Rudy Gay, Pattie Mills, and if there's anyone out there for Gasol. Guys like Belinelli, Cunningham and Pondexter, honestly who cares. Outside of Beli who signed for three years.

hater
12-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Insaid this team was borderline 8th 9th seed tbqh

Sure we are a hit worse right now but due to major injuries

Why is anyone surprised at our record????

Some nigas live in fantasy land

therealtruth
12-05-2018, 12:23 AM
Pop hasn't helped; starting a player in Cunningham that is such a non threat on offense and meh on defense when Bertans was always the better option.

Some of the Spurs struggles can be blamed on Aldridge for sure but also why are the Spur consistently towards the bottom of the league in 3pt attempts in a league where shooting 3s are increasingly valued. I don't think that this team is some juggernaut but I do think that better coaching should have them higher up in the standings.

Wouldn't the spacing and 3pt shooting be worse if Murray was playing? You can argue his defense would help make up for that but would it be enough?

cd021
12-05-2018, 03:04 AM
Wouldn't the spacing and 3pt shooting be worse if Murray was playing? You can argue his defense would help make up for that but would it be enough?

Forbes is obviously a better shooter than Murray but Pop was going to let Murray run and get out in transition like he did with Parker. Plus Murray's shot apparently looked much better. He probably would have been less of a fit with DeRozen but his defense on guard would have significantly improved the defense.

Bertans spacing the floor with another slasher able to get to the rim would have probably allowed for him to get more good looks plus Bertans is also good in transition impart because he can trail and get open looks from 3.

Slippy
12-05-2018, 04:14 AM

Concurr

Slippy
12-05-2018, 04:17 AM
For the first time in a very long time, this seasons spurs team hasnt figured out how to play defense yet .

r0drig0lac
12-05-2018, 04:38 AM

Murray is a much better basketball player than Forbes, so this is it, like two levels above.