PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Blazers - Dec. 2, 2018

timvp
12-03-2018, 02:08 AM
https://iili.io/JFExI.jpg
https://iili.io/JF0DN.jpg
https://iili.io/JFlNp.jpg

The Spurs bounced back from a turbulent two-game losing streak in which they lost by a combined 70 points by beating the Blazers 131-118 on Sunday evening. If the good guys are to make the playoffs, this sort of performance and the resulting victory was very much needed following the pair of demoralizing losses.

San Antonio seemed to take control of the game in the second quarter, however their momentum flat-lined in the third period and things began to look bleak. That's when DeMar DeRozan took over. He scored 15 consecutive Spurs points over the course of three and a half minutes to get the offense back on track. By the end of the quarter, DeRozan's explosion had helped turn a seven-point deficit into a seven-point advantage.

In the fourth quarter, Portland made a few runs but the Spurs were able to keep them at an arm's length until a 17-6 run in the middle of the period put the game to bed.

How did the Spurs go from two humiliating losses to a win over a Western Conference playoff team? The main reason is the simple fact that the Spurs had an inordinately high number of players play very well. That's the obvious reason that shouldn't be overlooked.

However, I think a couple of coaching decisions helped: 1) Starting Davis Bertans and moving Dante Cunningham into a smaller role coming off the bench. As expected, moving Bertans into the starting lineup improved the spacing and aided the offensive eruption. This was a long overdue move that should have been made weeks ago; let's hope Pop sticks with it, through thick and thin, going forward.

2) Allowing Derrick White to play a bigger role. White is the team's best perimeter defender and has the best court vision on the team. He's also a steady, cerebral basketball player who can help smooth out rough edges. White has struggled (sometimes mightily so) with his confidence but his talents, even when his production was putrid, made his integration as a focal point of the rotation imperative. Tonight, he played 33 minutes and was, most importantly, brimming with confidence.

(While I'm hopeful that Pop has realized White has to be a primary pillar this team is built on, it has to be noted that Marco Belinelli missed the game with a stiff neck.)

-------------

LaMarcus Aldridge
https://i.imgur.com/1nluyNF.png
The good: LaMarcus Aldridge played really hard. He used his size well in the paint, was physical at the point of contact and connected on 6-of-9 midrange jumpers. This was also undoubtedly one of his better passing games of the season. Defensively, his post defense was sturdy and he gave quality effort when switched out on the perimeter. The bad: Aldridge's rebounding was hit and miss. He was also too careless with the ball at times, particularly when in traffic. And while his effort on defense was commendable, his actual impact on that end was middling at best. Big picture-wise, although it was good to see Aldridge play with passion and ferocity against his former team, it's a bit disheartening that the Spurs can't rely on that level of heart on a game to game basis. Aldridge was fired up because it was the Blazers ... but the Spurs need this every night -- not just on nights when he's artificially motivated.
Grade: A-
Summary: Aldridge played very well against his former team.

-------------

DeMar DeRozan
https://i.imgur.com/ZKxGADZ.png
DeMar DeRozan's final stats look fantastic: a season-high 36 points while leading the team in rebounds, assists and steals. However, his numbers don't tell the whole story. DeRozan was bad for the first two and a half quarters. He was moping, whining about calls, turning the ball, neglecting most of his defensive duties over and just looked fragile out there. But give him credit, he turned his night around in grand style. His third quarter run that included 15 straight points and 18 total in the quarter's final five minutes was spectacular. DeRozan continued his strong play in the fourth quarter and even mixed in some above average (for him) defense.
Grade: B+
Summary: DeRozan had a slow start until a scorching hot streak in the third quarter turned his game around and ignited the Spurs to victory.

-------------

Rudy Gay
https://i.imgur.com/vqYr2we.png
Rudy Gay wasn't moving well tonight. In fact, it was downright painful watching him move at times. Despite his physical limitations, Gay was an asset on the offensive end, mostly thanks to his dead eye accuracy from deep. After his 4-for-4 showing, Gay is now shooting 51 percent on three-pointers this season, far and away his career-best mark (he has never shot north of 40 percent from downtown over the course of a season). Defense, though, was another story. His lack of mobility hurt him much more on that end of the court. It was close to impossible for Gay to keep anyone in front of him.
Grade: B
Summary: Gay was strong on offense but gave a lot of it back on the defensive end.

-------------

Bryn Forbes
https://i.imgur.com/yXVIEAs.png
Bad game for Bryn Forbes. Defensively, he was incapable of keeping up. Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum roasted him in one-on-one situations and Forbes' team defense was also poor; he was slow to switch and sometimes failed to switch at all. Offensively, he wasn't much better. While he didn't turn the ball over and hit half of his field goal attempts, his shot-pass selection was wonky and it broke the team's rhythm at various points of the game. While Forbes' final stats look acceptable, the numbers don't tell the true story of how discombobulated he was.
Grade: D
Summary: Forbes struggled mightily on both ends.

-------------

Davis Bertans
https://i.imgur.com/ucY2jSF.png
Davis Bertans was in the starting lineup and didn't embarrass himself. It wasn't a particularly positive outing but he didn't hurt the team. He seemed a bit rushed on offense but he made enough shots to be productive. Most importantly, he spaced the floor by constantly moving to open spots on the court and salivated whenever Portland dared to leave him alone. Defensively, he was okay. He got physically overwhelmed at times but he held up reasonably well overall. He didn't grab a rebound during his 27 minutes of play (surprise, surprise) but he actually boxed out a lot better than usual. His ability to move his feet out on the perimeter was also helpful given the type of switch-happy defense the Spurs were running.
Grade: B-
Summary: Bertans didn't disappoint in his return to the starting lineup.

-------------

Derrick White
https://i.imgur.com/IrTA2dV.png
There we go. This is the Derrick White we've all been waiting for. Defensively on the perimeter, I can't emphasize enough how much better White is than everyone else on the team. Not only does he move his feet quickly, he's great at anticipating where his man is headed. While San Antonio's defense tonight wasn't overly impressive, when they did have success it was usually White leading the charge. Offensively, White's confidence appears to have returned. He was back to demanding the ball, spontaneously taking on point guard responsibilities, driving to the hoop whenever he had the opportunity and showing off his fantastic court vision. Tonight, White was the team's most efficient playmaker, knocked down a key three-pointer and played almost error-free basketball. And when he did make a mistake, he didn't hang his head -- he just went harder.
Grade: A+
Summary: White was great and showed off his vast potential.

-------------

Patty Mills
https://i.imgur.com/gTa4B5z.png
Patty Mills struggled the last two games along with everyone else donning silver and black. Sunday night, Mills got back to playing the quality basketball he has played since a rough start to the season. Obviously, the Australian doesn't have the size or athleticism to offer much defensive resistance when going against a player like Lillard but he competed on that end with contagious energy. And while his individual D wasn't much to write home about, his team defense was relatively solid. Offensively, Mills pushed the issue, kept the ball movement humming and was aggressive with his own shot. All in all, I don't have much to complain about -- Mills was spirited and played well.
Grade: A-
Summary: Mills did his part to make sure the Spurs reintroduced themselves to the win column.

-------------

Jakob Poeltl
https://i.imgur.com/FUIlW00.png
Don't look now but Jakob Poeltl is suddenly playing like one of the best backup bigmen in the NBA. He is shooting 73.7 percent (28-for-38) from the floor over his last nine games, he's blocking a lot more shots lately and he looks really, really comfortable in his own skin. Versus the Blazers, I thought he was very impressive defensively. He was quick enough to switch off onto smaller players with favorable results. In the lane, he was lightning quick to defend the rim and battled on the boards with physicality. Offensively, he was just as impressive. His passing was Boris Diaw-esque; high praise but deserved on this night. Poeltl was also a threat in pick-and-rolls, flashed good hands and good footwork in the paint, and the hesitation and uncertainty that marred his early season play was nowhere to be seen.
Grade: A
Summary: Poeltl probably played his best all-around game of the season.

-------------

Dante Cunningham
https://i.imgur.com/W3QWUCI.png
Dante Cunningham played the fewest amount of minutes he's played in a game in nearly a month but he used his time wisely. He didn't pout about his demotion. Instead, he brought the same amount of vivacity on defense and on the boards that made him a coach's favorite to begin with. Offensively, he didn't cause many pencil marks on the scoresheet but he kept himself involved enough to make sure the Blazers didn't totally ignore him.
Grade: B-
Summary: Cunningham played reasonable well in his smaller bench role.

-------------

Pop
https://i.imgur.com/x7B1It7.jpg
I've been begging for more Bertans and more White so obviously I'm pleased with Pop's adjustments. However, it's premature to be too enthused with the changes because Pop has had a bad habit this season of making good adjustments ... only to reverse those adjustments shortly thereafter. Bertans needs to keep starting come hell, high water or high opponent point totals, while White can't be lost in the mix once Belinelli's stiff neck returns to its normal, flaccid state.
Grade: A*
Summary: *Earned only if Pop keeps the adjustments going forward.

Looking ahead: Good win. Much needed. There was a lot to like. However, I'm a bit concerned that so many players performed well, yet the Spurs didn't exactly run away and hide from the Blazers. If it takes half the roster playing near their optimal level for the good guys to win, that in itself is worrisome. But, yeah, I'll gladly chalk up the win and leave the worrying for a different day.

Next up, the Spurs head out on a two-game road trip. The first stop is Tuesday in Utah, followed up by a game in Los Angeles against the Lakers on Wednesday night. The Spurs need at least a split or else whatever momentum they gained tonight will be lost by the time they touch down again in San Antonio.

slick'81
12-03-2018, 02:39 AM
Poodle power mf'ers!!

r0drig0lac
12-03-2018, 04:16 AM
random thought: the most impressive in my opinion were the screens made by Jakob, it's completely different from Aldridge / Pau and really gave the shooters open shots.

without Murray our main rotation should be
Forbes or Mills
White
Walker
Derozan
Gay
Bertans
Aldridge
Poetl

if we can get some help on the wings in trades with
Pau
Marco
Forbes or Mills
Dante

and Huestis / Moore can contribute to the main team we could be competitive

pookenstein
12-03-2018, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the write up! Maybe we should crowdfund a guy to sneak into casa Bellinielli at night and open Marco's window, so his neck remains stiff. I'd be willing to contribute.
I need the Spurs to win one of the two Laker games. My colleague is a huge Laker, no make that Kobefan who despises the Spurs as much as I do the Lakers. We have an open bet about the season series, which I can't lose, but don't want him to have the moral victory of tieing it up after a 2-0 lead for me this season. Last season was painful enough.

playbonner15
12-03-2018, 04:41 AM
Poodle power mf'ers!!

gospursgojas
12-03-2018, 04:42 AM
Nice write up as usual Timvp. However, no mention of Pop staggering LaMarcus and Demar time on the floor together. Do you think this was a fluke and not by design?

TrainOfThought5
12-03-2018, 05:09 AM
Boris Diaw-esque?!?!?!!?!?! SACRILEGE! BLASPHEMY! HERETIC!

How dare you compare Poetl to the GOAT Frenchman, and championship lynchpin. Disgusting.

Other than that, it was an A+ writeup, and a good read. Keep up the great work!

RobRob
12-03-2018, 05:56 AM
WOW. Amazing coverage of the game.
Derrick White was great.
I expect more from DeRozan and Rudy Gay.

Thunder1
12-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Thanx for the grades..good to see someone else noticed that Poeltl made a significant contribution to the Spur's winning effort last night..

RC_Drunkford
12-03-2018, 07:34 AM
Spot on analyzation of the game and players. Grades are on point.:bobo

Truth4sale$
12-03-2018, 08:22 AM
Great write up. But the Spurs let alot of points get scored on them at home. To even have a shot at the playoffs, the Spurs need to tighten up the defense. I know they dont have the athletes to do it, that's why they have to find them. With 4 starters DeRozan, Gay, Bertans, and Forbres clearly lacking that defensive skillset, this team will be just hang in limbo as a so-so team. The Spurs will likely limp some how into the playoffs at the 8th seed with a enough good enough offensive performance like these, needing a near perfect performance from everyone.

John B
12-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Spot on as always. It’s a revelation to see the Spurs did not slump but put on a fight after the embarrassing loses. A win over a playoff bound team is a good sign. I really like White and Poeltl’s defense and could be contagious. I keep hoping Moore and LW4 join them any minute now to help with the defense. Offensively I like what I saw. LMA kept attacking the rim, Demar was relentless, Gay was super efficient. Mills kept pushing the tempo, and White was superb both sides of the court. I’m really please with the effort which I was accustomed to Spurs. I’m really hoping they made the turn to play this aggressive. GSG!

Othyus Lalanne
12-03-2018, 09:59 AM
I needed this win bad. thanks Spurs.

Mugen
12-03-2018, 10:00 AM
If the Blazers scored off that DWhite traveling violation to end the quarter, Pop might have relegated him to the bench for another couple of weeks tbh.

DWhite, Bertans, and Poetl. (and Lonnie when hes with the main team).....those guys should be the focus for most of the season in terms of developing and being locked in for steady minutes night in and night out.......

Keepin' it real
12-03-2018, 11:05 AM
I've never been prouder to be a Spurs fan!

Kobe'sAchilles
12-03-2018, 11:33 AM
One more win and we are the 9th seed baby!! :ihit

DAF86
12-03-2018, 11:37 AM
White can't be lost in the mix once Belinelli's stiff neck returns to its normal, flaccid state.

:lmao

HarlemHeat37
12-03-2018, 11:37 AM
Poetl is finally looking closer to the player he was last year, one of the better backup bigs in the league..

It's funny, the Raptors' bench unit misses him a lot.. Valanciunas is a better player, but Poetl fit much better with their style, they miss his screens/defense/rolling..

Even with his recent improvement, his defense was much better last year for whatever reason..he was a high-level rim protector..

Mugen
12-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Poetl is finally looking closer to the player he was last year, one of the better backup bigs in the league..

It's funny, the Raptors' bench unit misses him a lot.. Valanciunas is a better player, but Poetl fit much better with their style, they miss his screens/defense/rolling..

Even with his recent improvement, his defense was much better last year for whatever reason..he was a high-level rim protector..

Yeah, RC really fleeced them on that one

HarlemHeat37
12-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Yeah, RC really fleeced them on that one

They were never going to get Siakam(literally no chance, he's going to be an All-Star) and probably wouldn't have gotten Anunoby, realistically..

I would have waited and let Kawhi play(IIRC, if he chose to sit out again, his contract would have been extended another year), but the front office's goals weren't the same as the fans..

The non-Kawhi trade moves were far worse than the actual trade IMO.. Belinelli, signing Bertans without having a plan in mind, Mills/Gasol, etc(losing Green sucks, but 95% of Spurs fans had turned on him anyways)..

SAGirl
12-03-2018, 11:45 AM
If have to wholeheartedly agree with the grades this time. Cheers

r0drig0lac
12-03-2018, 11:48 AM

this is what impresses most on this boy, these efficient screens were lost since the time of Duncan / Splitter/Baynes

spurs10
12-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Good grades! I enjoyed this game quite a bit for obvious reasons. I did enjoy seeing Bertans as a starter and thought White made a big difference. DeRozan sure woke up, that was amazing to see. LMA was engaged.

emanueldavidginobili
12-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Fluke win tbh. The Spurs shot 60% from the field 73% from three and 90% from the free throw line. Those numbers are absurd. Just the 9th game in nba HISTORY that a team shot 60/70/90 and the game was a 6 point game with 7 minutes left.

TimDunkem
12-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Fluke win tbh. The Spurs shot 60% from the field 73% from three and 90% from the free throw line. Those numbers are absurd. Just the 9th game in nba HISTORY that a team shot 60/70/90 and the game was a 6 point game with 7 minutes left.

Yikes. Not good.

Coach X
12-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the grades timvp. Always interesting.

Regarding your concerns about good invidual performances not being reflected on the scoreboard, I have to say that I think that you overvalue offensive game and undervalue defense. Aldridge and DeRozan didn't have a good defensive game, being nothing better than mediocre. Same for the rest, with Rudy playing specially bad defense. The energy was there and they had a better predisposition to the defensive effort but there is still a lack of focus, toughness and defensive fundamentals.

White, Poetl and Aldridge seem to be the only ones who can make a defensive play. The rest of the team best outcome is to be disciplined and play hard which is more than what they are used to do and the close to the best of their capabilities. We all appreciate Patty's energy but it doesn't make him a good defender. Cunningham has happened to be inefficient. DeRozan doesn't play defense with the same mentality he works in the other end. Rudy has too many bad habits and Bertans, Forbes, Marco doesn't have the physical tools.

Yesterday's game shows very well this roster limitations as the improvement on the intensity and focus was evident but it didn't transfer into offensive problems for Portland.
The team needs all the coaching, all the defensive players on the court as much as possible and the best efforts from all the bad defenders in order to get wins against mid/good teams.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-03-2018, 01:13 PM

That is frightening.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
2) Allowing Derrick White to play a bigger role. White is the team's best perimeter defender and has the best court vision on the team. He's also a steady, cerebral basketball player who can help smooth out rough edges. White has struggled (sometimes mightily so) with his confidence but his talents, even when his production was putrid, made his integration as a focal point of the rotation imperative. Tonight, he played 33 minutes and was, most importantly, brimming with confidence.

(While I'm hopeful that Pop has realized White has to be a primary pillar this team is built on, it has to be noted that Marco Belinelli missed the game with a stiff neck.)

Nice write-up! LJ le GOAT! I look forward to reading your recap more than anything on web or TV following a Spurs game. :tu

I listened to the game on XM and then watched the replay. Several things jumped out at me:

A: White was instrumental down the stretch on Lillard. He disrupted several shots, blocked one that he got called for a foul on, and basically prevented any chance the Blazers had of relying on Lillard to carry them back late. I was super-impressed with how White played. I think that was his best game as a Spur. In spite of the Spurs' amazing shooting, they would have lost this one, too, if not for White's defense.

B: Poetl was impressive. He's looking really good out there as a rim defender. Maybe his best game as well. He may end up being a pretty good acquisition.

C: The fact that LMA played harder against his former team wasn't lost on me either. If he could play with this effort every night the Spurs would be far better than 11-12, even with their deficiencies. It pisses me off, in fact, that he doesn't have that same drive to win that Tim had, that Tony and Manu had, every single game. That's the difference between a multi-time champion and someone who's never sniffed the Finals I suppose...heart. He has the skill.

D: DeRozan is great at carrying the offense. He plays terrible defense. I keep expecting to see that change on the defensive side of the ball, but I don't know that will ever happen. I'm hopeful that the Spurs evolve into a team that has White, Murray, maybe Walker, DeRozan and Poetl as their core and build around that, because I think that group could hide DeRozan's defensive deficiencies and he could hide Murray's offensive deficiencies. Gives me hope for next season.

E: Belli wasn't missed. In fact the Spurs were far better off without him. He really hasn't brought anything to this team.

F: Rudy Gay plays with a lot of heart. For everything I said about LMA loafing, I think Rudy pushes every ounce he has out there every game. He may have over-trained this summer because he looks like he's really laboring just to be out there, but he's a frickin' warrior. I wish we had 100% Rudy. It would be nice if Pop could shut him down for a few weeks, but the Spurs need what he brings, unfortunately, if they stand a chance at staying competitive.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-03-2018, 01:15 PM

That is frightening.

Dex
12-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Spent the weekend in SA. This is probably the only game I will make it to this season, so I was obviously nervous going in and happy for the W.

Thanks for keeping up the grades, timvp. Especially in a season when some of these games are particularly hard to watch.

JPB
12-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Spent the weekend in SA. This is probably the only game I will make it to this season, so I was obviously nervous going in and happy for the W.

Thanks for keeping up the grades, timvp. Especially in a season when some of these games are particularly hard to watch.

Watch them in spanish, ask Bill.

SAGirl
12-03-2018, 02:57 PM
:wow:wow

SAGirl
12-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the grades timvp. Always interesting.

Regarding your concerns about good invidual performances not being reflected on the scoreboard, I have to say that I think that you overvalue offensive game and undervalue defense. Aldridge and DeRozan didn't have a good defensive game, being nothing better than mediocre. Same for the rest, with Rudy playing specially bad defense. The energy was there and they had a better predisposition to the defensive effort but there is still a lack of focus, toughness and defensive fundamentals.

White, Poetl and Aldridge seem to be the only ones who can make a defensive play. The rest of the team best outcome is to be disciplined and play hard which is more than what they are used to do and the close to the best of their capabilities. We all appreciate Patty's energy but it doesn't make him a good defender. Cunningham has happened to be inefficient. DeRozan doesn't play defense with the same mentality he works in the other end. Rudy has too many bad habits and Bertans, Forbes, Marco doesn't have the physical tools.

Yesterday's game shows very well this roster limitations as the improvement on the intensity and focus was evident but it didn't transfer into offensive problems for Portland.
The team needs all the coaching, all the defensive players on the court as much as possible and the best efforts from all the bad defenders in order to get wins against mid/good teams.
I Always appreciate your knowledge and reviews. :tu

R. DeMurre
12-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Derrick White was the player I was most excited to watch this season, and I'm glad he's coming around. The idea of a White/Murray defensive combo in the future is definitely something to look forward to.

Also, something to think about: I know a lot of people have been criticizing PATFO for this roster, but if the unforeseen fallout with Kawhi and injury to Dejounte don't happen, the Spurs have a defensive backcourt of Murray, White, & Kawhi. That easily could've been the best defensive trio in the league.

exstatic
12-03-2018, 03:23 PM

Uh, did it finish as a 6 point game? Nope.

SAGirl
12-03-2018, 03:35 PM
Nice write-up! LJ le GOAT! I look forward to reading your recap more than anything on web or TV following a Spurs game. :tu

I listened to the game on XM and then watched the replay. Several things jumped out at me:

A: White was instrumental down the stretch on Lillard. He disrupted several shots, blocked one that he got called for a foul on, and basically prevented any chance the Blazers had of relying on Lillard to carry them back late. I was super-impressed with how White played. I think that was his best game as a Spur. In spite of the Spurs' amazing shooting, they would have lost this one, too, if not for White's defense.

B: Poetl was impressive. He's looking really good out there as a rim defender. Maybe his best game as well. He may end up being a pretty good acquisition.

C: The fact that LMA played harder against his former team wasn't lost on me either. If he could play with this effort every night the Spurs would be far better than 11-12, even with their deficiencies. It pisses me off, in fact, that he doesn't have that same drive to win that Tim had, that Tony and Manu had, every single game. That's the difference between a multi-time champion and someone who's never sniffed the Finals I suppose...heart. He has the skill.

D: DeRozan is great at carrying the offense. He plays terrible defense. I keep expecting to see that change on the defensive side of the ball, but I don't know that will ever happen. I'm hopeful that the Spurs evolve into a team that has White, Murray, maybe Walker, DeRozan and Poetl as their core and build around that, because I think that group could hide DeRozan's defensive deficiencies and he could hide Murray's offensive deficiencies. Gives me hope for next season.

E: Belli wasn't missed. In fact the Spurs were far better off without him. He really hasn't brought anything to this team.

F: Rudy Gay plays with a lot of heart. For everything I said about LMA loafing, I think Rudy pushes every ounce he has out there every game. He may have over-trained this summer because he looks like he's really laboring just to be out there, but he's a frickin' warrior. I wish we had 100% Rudy. It would be nice if Pop could shut him down for a few weeks, but the Spurs need what he brings, unfortunately, if they stand a chance at staying competitive.
Good comments Chopper!

Keepin' it real
12-03-2018, 03:45 PM
The Spurs shot 60% from the field 73% from three and 90% from the free throw line... Just the 9th game in nba HISTORY that a team shot 60/70/90...

We've split that rock!!! Next stop, the Finals!

spurs10
12-03-2018, 03:45 PM
Uh, did it finish as a 6 point game? Nope. Exactly and it also was coming back from being down 7 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd.

hater
12-03-2018, 03:52 PM
White is fools gold this season

He will be good and terrible next game

Hes a rookie. Expected

8FOR!3
12-03-2018, 03:55 PM
I think White long term is going to be our backup point guard to Murray. I don't think they will play together all that much.

spurraider21
12-03-2018, 03:56 PM
white and murray could start in the same backcourt tbh

TDMVPDPOY
12-03-2018, 03:59 PM
Derrick White was the player I was most excited to watch this season, and I'm glad he's coming around. The idea of a White/Murray defensive combo in the future is definitely something to look forward to.

Also, something to think about: I know a lot of people have been criticizing PATFO for this roster, but if the unforeseen fallout with Kawhi and injury to Dejounte don't happen, the Spurs have a defensive backcourt of Murray, White, & Kawhi. That easily could've been the best defensive trio in the league.

lol murray the overrated scrub defender who got defensive 2nd team due to consolation prize for losing both kawhi/green... hasnt shown he can lock down anyone, dunno how he won a 2nd defensive team

i take this years rejuvenated green even last seasons green over that scrub murray when it comes to defense only...

emanueldavidginobili
12-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Uh, did it finish as a 6 point game? Nope.
Did you watch the whole game? At what point did you feel comfortable that the spurs were going to win? Because I wasn’t fully convinced until about 3 minutes left

Mugen
12-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Did you watch the whole game? At what point did you feel comfortable that the spurs were going to win? Because I wasn’t fully convinced until about 3 minutes left

Blazers cut it to 8 with like a min left IIRC, pretty sure the Spurs blew that big of a lead against the Lakers earlier this year.

You'll get a lot of push back from the Pop apologist crew but it's a pretty telling stat about how bad this team is even when they fluke into a historic shooting night.

Mugen
12-03-2018, 04:45 PM
white and murray could start in the same backcourt tbh

Yup, skillsets actually compliment each other well. Elephant in the room is Derozan since I question his fit with both of those guys tbh. It's probably going to be up to DWhite to get a lot better off the ball in order to share the court with Derozan since I dont see DD making an adjustment to his game at this point of his career.

OP is right though about White being far and away the best backcourt defender this team has currently. Pretty jarring watching him defend vs a guy like Bryn or Demar....and honestly DWhite is probably only a slightly above average backcourt defender right now.

spurraider21
12-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Yup, skillsets actually compliment each other well. Elephant in the room is Derozan since I question his fit with both of those guys tbh. It's probably going to be up to DWhite to get a lot better off the ball in order to share the court with Derozan since I dont see DD making an adjustment to his game at this point of his career.

OP is right though about White being far and away the best backcourt defender this team has currently. Pretty jarring watching him defend vs a guy like Bryn or Demar....and honestly DWhite is probably only a slightly above average backcourt defender right now.
Murray/White can work... but it will be tough on White to find a balance between being an aggressive shooter but also a guy who can put the ball of the floor and collapse the D. Playing alongside Bryn/Patty, White doesn't really fill the sniper role. But alongside Murray/Derozan, he probably will have to.

Murray/Derozan is the awkward pairing, White doesn't factor into that imo. He's well-rounded enough to blend with any lineup tbh. Since White also plays good D, it's not a backbreaker to have some awkward moments on offense. That's why Green was still fine (but no longer great) even when his shot wasn't falling.

Derozan is an awkward fit because of defense more than anything. Murray/White can set the tone on that end (and LMA when he's engaged)... but Derozan/Gay/Bertans just don't add to that whatsoever.

exstatic
12-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Blazers cut it to 8 with like a min left IIRC, pretty sure the Spurs blew that big of a lead against the Lakers earlier this year.

You'll get a lot of push back from the Pop apologist crew but it's a pretty telling stat about how bad this team is even when they fluke into a historic shooting night.

I'm really sick of this "Pop apologist" bullshit. That little asshole picked one moment in the game that was won by 15 points when he needed his safe space, and I have issues because I actually support the team that I'm a fan of? Cherry pick much?

exstatic
12-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Murray/White can work... but it will be tough on White to find a balance between being an aggressive shooter but also a guy who can put the ball of the floor and collapse the D. Playing alongside Bryn/Patty, White doesn't really fill the sniper role. But alongside Murray/Derozan, he probably will have to.

Murray/Derozan is the awkward pairing, White doesn't factor into that imo. He's well-rounded enough to blend with any lineup tbh. Since White also plays good D, it's not a backbreaker to have some awkward moments on offense. That's why Green was still fine (but no longer great) even when his shot wasn't falling.

DeRozen will have to transition to the 3 spot, or move on. You can't develop 3 young guards while he eats up 36 minutes or so per game at the 2.

Mugen
12-03-2018, 05:11 PM
I'm really sick of this "Pop apologist" bullshit. That little asshole picked one moment in the game that was won by 15 points when he needed his safe space, and I have issues because I actually support the team that I'm a fan of? Cherry pick much?

Uh it wasn't one moment in the game so not sure how the guy is a "little asshole." Spurs pulled away for a 2-3 minute stretch but looked like they were going to choke it away again like they've done a bunch of other times this year (Lakers, MIL as examples)...

If you put on a historic shooting performance and score 131, you'd expect a blowout for at least half the game and that was not the case at all.

Mugen
12-03-2018, 05:28 PM
To add, agree with OP that Bertans should be a starter going forward, it's the only chance to set up diva ass Lamarcus for any success to start the game.

The short leash on Forbes and limiting Dante's minutes was LONG overdue. Not sure how it took Pop this long to see that but hopefully it sticks.

When Beli gets back, he should eat away Bryn's minutes instead of White obviously. Not sure what they can get for Pau but if it's some young-ish talent even on a bad contract, I'd pull the trigger. Something like Beli + Pau for talent on a bad contract should be worth exploring, again very obviously.

exstatic
12-03-2018, 05:36 PM

Uh it wasn't one moment in the game so not sure how the guy is a "little asshole." Spurs pulled away for a 2-3 minute stretch but looked like they were going to choke it away again like they've done a bunch of other times this year (Lakers, MIL as examples)...

If you put on a historic shooting performance and score 131, you'd expect a blowout for at least half the game and that was not the case at all.

Maybe you didn't read the post that I quoted carefully enough, so I'll highlight it for you. He picked ONE point in the game where he got all scared. That's what makes him a little asshole, spinning shit to find the worst possible interpretation, supposedly as a Spurs fan. We won by 15, and didn't need that hot 3 point shooting. Aren't we getting a little fussy by wanting the team to be ahead by so much at such a point in the game?

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Maybe you didn't read the post that I quoted carefully enough, so I'll highlight it for you. He picked ONE point in the game where he got all scared. That's what makes him a little asshole, spinning shit to find the worst possible interpretation, supposedly as a Spurs fan. We won by 15, and didn't need that hot 3 point shooting. Aren't we getting a little fussy by wanting the team to be ahead by so much at such a point in the game?

Ex, brother, we had guys bitching when the Spurs were winning 60 games a year. This season opens the flood gates for the little shits...assholes...whatever they are.

timvp
12-03-2018, 06:07 PM
random thought: the most impressive in my opinion were the screens made by Jakob, it's completely different from Aldridge / Pau and really gave the shooters open shots.Good point. I wasn't the world's biggest Rasho Nesterovic fan but he had a wide base and set really good screens. Poeltl is similar ... and he's starting to look like he has finishing abilities off pick-and-rolls, even when the spacing is iffy. Splitter, for example, could finish pick-and-rolls but he needed perfect spacing to do so, which oftentimes disappeared come playoff time.

Nice write up as usual Timvp. However, no mention of Pop staggering LaMarcus and Demar time on the floor together. Do you think this was a fluke and not by design?I didn't mention it because Pop has burned me a couple times after I praised him for successful staggering. There hasn't been much cohesion rotation-wise from game-to-game, so it's probably best to hold off until Pop starts making it a habit.

I also considered making a bigger deal about how the Spurs were switching a lot more than usual on defense last night but I'll hold off until I see if that is a permanent change. Judging by comments from players, it seems like the Spurs may have actually made a substantial change in the defensive philosophy ... but we'll see.

Great write up. But the Spurs let alot of points get scored on them at home. To even have a shot at the playoffs, the Spurs need to tighten up the defense. I know they dont have the athletes to do it, that's why they have to find them. With 4 starters DeRozan, Gay, Bertans, and Forbres clearly lacking that defensive skillset, this team will be just hang in limbo as a so-so team. The Spurs will likely limp some how into the playoffs at the 8th seed with a enough good enough offensive performance like these, needing a near perfect performance from everyone.I'd actually make it 5 out of 5 starters who have been liabilities on defense. Aldridge has potential on that end but he's been sub par on that end this year.

The defense has to get better -- and it should if White's given an expanded role -- but for this team to be successful, offense is going to have to lead the way. IMO, they need to be a top 5 offense to safely make the playoffs.

timvp
12-03-2018, 06:39 PM

Even with his recent improvement, his defense was much better last year for whatever reason..he was a high-level rim protector..I think Poeltl was paranoid of fouls to start the season (rightfully so since Pop hates foul-prone bigs [See: Mahinmi, Ian]) and adjusted too far. Now he's getting back to being aggressive, which has resulted in more blocks.

E: Belli wasn't missed. In fact the Spurs were far better off without him. He really hasn't brought anything to this team.It reminded me why I never liked Belinelli in 2014 even though he was shooting lights out from three-point land. Come playoff time that year, I was begging Pop to stop playing him. He's like Manu in that he plays on instinct rather than relying on basketball IQ ... but Belinelli is like 10% of the player Manu was.

OP is right though about White being far and away the best backcourt defender this team has currently. Pretty jarring watching him defend vs a guy like Bryn or Demar....and honestly DWhite is probably only a slightly above average backcourt defender right now.It was pretty jarring last night, tbh. What's scary is Forbes and DeRozan are actively getting worse on D. DeRozan, especially, had some games where he was okay on D earlier in the season but it's been a while now that he has been anything but poor on that end.

Ex, brother, we had guys bitching when the Spurs were winning 60 games a year. This season opens the flood gates for the little shits...assholes...whatever they are.:lol A lot of Spurs fans enjoyed being miserable even during the championship years. Now, this is like Christmas morning every day for those fans. They've been waiting for this for decades.

FkLA
12-03-2018, 06:52 PM
The head size to shoulder width ratio on the Bertans pic is hilarious, tbh. :lol

emanueldavidginobili
12-03-2018, 07:01 PM

”little asshole” lol relax bud it’s not that serious. I was just pointing out the fact the Spurs had a historic shooting night and the game wasn’t won until the last couple minutes. They won by 15 okay cool the final score is deceiving. You talk as if the game was a cake walk because of the final score. Anyone that watched the game and saw the spurs blow a half time lead and be down 7 in the middle of the third was just thinking here we go again. I picked ONE example because I wasn’t about to sit here and list every lead change or whenever it was close. I’m not spinning anything I’m just being a realist. I’m not about to be excited about a game where it’s only the 9th time a team has shot this good across the field ever and it’s a back and fourth game for the most part. Are you encouraged by this 15 point win against the Blazers who have now lost 5 out of their last 6 games? I’m glad they won but like the OP said in his post ”I’m bit concerned that so many players performed well, yet the Spurs didn't exactly run away and hide from the Blazers.” Pretty much what I’m saying

SAGirl
12-03-2018, 07:55 PM
”little asshole” lol relax bud it’s not that serious. I was just pointing out the fact the Spurs had a historic shooting night and the game wasn’t won until the last couple minutes. They won by 15 okay cool the final score is deceiving. You talk as if the game was a cake walk because of the final score. Anyone that watched the game and saw the spurs blow a half time lead and be down 7 in the middle of the third was just thinking here we go again. I picked ONE example because I wasn’t about to sit here and list every lead change or whenever it was close. I’m not spinning anything I’m just being a realist. I’m not about to be excited about a game where it’s only the 9th time a team has shot this good across the field ever and it’s a back and fourth game for the most part. Are you encouraged by this 15 point win against the Blazers who have now lost 5 out of their last 6 games? I’m glad they won but like the OP said in his post ”I’m bit concerned that so many players performed well, yet the Spurs didn't exactly run away and hide from the Blazers.” Pretty much what I’m saying
So many truth bombs. Don’t let the sour fans discourage you from stating things like you see them. Some fans get triggered too easily bc of the huge amount of trolls but I knew you weren’t making a trolling point.

It’s just a win to celebrate and that’s it. I am encouraged bc they easily could have lost this one too. Easily. That’s how bad they had been as of late. They just don’t have the defensive personnel to keep teams from making runs and coming back but hopefully they keep their efficiency up.

Play Boban
12-04-2018, 01:30 AM
play poeltl....................

Slippy
12-04-2018, 02:31 AM
Another slow start though, if not for LaMarcus early offense the spurs would of been in a bigger hole too hard to overcome.

Really like Derrick Whites strong play at point. Amazing what a bit of confidence and experience can do for you. His decision making and passing ability helped the team get easier scores. The defense on whoever he was guarding was top notch. Moved his feet quick enough. None of the "hope" defense that some of his backcourt teammates like to apply.

Poeltl improved play has been a boost to this teams bigman stocks . Same boat as white really, playing better and looking comfortable out on court. Stil had a couple of incorrect calls go against him when playing straight up rim protection and position d.

duncan2k5
12-04-2018, 05:05 AM

They have the best record in the league... Yep... They suuuure miss him

HarlemHeat37
12-04-2018, 12:11 PM
They have the best record in the league... Yep... They suuuure miss him

They have the best record in the league because of Kawhi and their starters + an easy schedule..

Their bench is just 15th in the league after being BY FAR #1 in production last season..clearly due to the losses of Poetl(Valenciunas is a better player, but his style fits poorly with their free-floating bench) + Siakam moving into the starting lineup..

DAF86
12-04-2018, 01:16 PM

Dude, you are missing the point. Pointing out that it was a 6 pts game with 7 minutes left isn't cherry picking, it just paints the picture that it was a close game untill the end. And when you shoot 60/70/90 you expect the game to be over by the middle of the third quarter, you don't expect to have to play untill the bitter end just to get the W.

Acknowledging that is worrisome that it was a close game despite having an historic shooting night is healthier than ignoring this fact and acting like everything is fine.

tp2021
12-04-2018, 04:16 PM

That's a great historical stat.

Also worth noting is the fact that offense leaguewide in 2018 is unlike anything in the history of the sport. So while we might expect those numbers you posted to lead to a huge win in 2005, it just led to a regular-old win in 2018.

wildbill2u
12-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Lord, let Poertle be Poertle and fulfill the promise I thought he had. That's not much to ask Lord, about this crappy season.

DAF86
12-04-2018, 09:54 PM
That asterik was real timvp, give Pop that F.

gospursgojas
12-04-2018, 10:57 PM
That asterik was real timvp, give Pop that F.