PDA

View Full Version : It’s only December thread

SAGirl
12-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Well the team has won one game and they are still out of the playoffs.

However, This is the perfect moment to point out it’s only December. Still over half a season to play, winning runs still possible.

Even some deals to improve are still possible after Dec. 15.

Things are looking up right?

Post all your “it’s only December takes”....

TheGreatYacht
12-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Kyle Anderson is averaging 6 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists but it's only December. Lots of time left to get a career high of 11 points

Dex
12-03-2018, 08:11 PM
The Spurs only saving grace is that apparently everyone in the West sucks this season (or is that what they call parity?)

As shitty as this season feels, Spurs are still only 4.5 games out of first. We only have 3 more losses than the Warriors, and 1 more than the Rockets. It remains to be seen if several of the "top teams"...i.e. Nuggets, Clippers, Thunder, Blazers...have staying power.

A few teams are going to start stumbling...but it's also hard to say if the Spurs can find their footing. Schedule doesn't get any easier, and it's hard to see this team going on a 5 or 10 game tear.

We should have a much better feel of how this season is going to go in another 20 games.

SAGirl
12-03-2018, 08:21 PM
They need a moderate winning run. Just string some wins together to make us more of a believer. They also need a signature win. This blazers win wasn’t it. The Blazers has been in a losing skid and playing on the road. It’s fine to cheer but if they are serious about the playoffs they have to win in a more convincing fashion against a stronger team.

JeffDuncan
12-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Kyle Anderson is averaging 6 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists but it's only December. Lots of time left to get a career high of 11 points

Not for us.

gambit1990
12-03-2018, 08:42 PM
no point in making the POs. tank.

SAGirl
12-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Nah that's fine. Rook Jaren Jackson looks very good for Memphis.

SAGirl
12-03-2018, 08:54 PM
no point in making the POs. tank.
I have thought the same for some time now but you know Pop is going to squeeze very ounce that he can from this group. They are stuck in limbo right now.

Kobe'sAchilles
12-03-2018, 09:10 PM
The amount of points we give up is what scares me. It seems like we have to score 120 just to secure a win.

Ocotillo
12-03-2018, 09:17 PM
It is early. There are numerous things you could come up with to be hopeful but there are some major concerns.

Rudy Gay is playing nice, when he plays. His recurring issue with his heel is a big red flag. I am afraid it is chronic and will haunt the team all season long.

Defense, what defense? We just don't have the horses. Murray alone was not going to be a one man team stopper but he sure would have helped. A lot of posters have high hopes for LWIV but he is still a kid learning and I would be surprised if he stepped up and contributed major minutes this season. I hope I am wrong.

LMA is not getting his touches so he is playing disinterested. Maybe Pop has figured out something by staggering his and Derozan's playing time.

Bellinelli is my biggest gripe with this season. Pop likes guys who shoot without a conscience and Marco fits the bill. Thing is, he is redundant on this squad and is not providing veteran leadership, consistent shooting or any defense.

Pau Gasol was not the albatross so many make him out to be but now that he is modeling street clothes, we actually miss his presence with the bench unit.

Dante Cunningham meh.

I wonder what is going through Derozan's mind these days. He doesn't play defense that much either but man he has a nice midrange game and can score in bunches. We don't have a small forward so he has to play small forward and if we had a small forward, he would be eating up minutes that White and Walker need. Maybe Marco would get benched.

PATFO apologist here, I am holding out the hope the old man figures it out with the injury bug he has been dealt this year.

John B
12-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Tis the season to be tanking? But it’s not in Pops’ DNA so will squeeze every win. We have LW4, Huestis, Moore in the pipeline, and perhaps a deal for Pau’s expiring contract plus Raptors’ 1st, Belli, could get us a serviceable 3nD. Anything could happen as long as we remain in the pack. We’re not the only one in the West, lucky.

spurs10
12-03-2018, 11:58 PM
I have thought from the start out improvement would be gradual and was surprised when we came out relatively strong. I still expect to see improvement and it's been my mindset about this season in general. Seriously I haven't had high expectations and just wanted to see some effort and a team that wants to play together.

Last season and the summer of the nephew were really horrible in every way, except for getting to see Manu play for his final stage bow. I was of the camp to make Kawhi play, if only to increase his value. It sounded like RC was going to do just that, but I think he eventually just couldn't take it anymore...and or Pop just said '%$#! it, let's move along.' Having DeRozan is a good thing...it could have been worse.

YGWHI
12-04-2018, 12:12 AM

6 reb 3 asts and decent defense are way better than our Cun Belli Patty Jakob give us.

JakeCuenca
12-04-2018, 12:14 AM

Memphisgirl : lol

DAF86
12-04-2018, 12:15 AM
I trully believe this team can do better than what they're doing by having Pop play the better players on the roster (like White and Bertans) more than the lesser players (like Cunningham, Belinelli and Forbes).

JPB
12-04-2018, 12:20 AM
The amount of points we give up is what scares me. It seems like we have to score 120 just to secure a win.

Welcome in today's NBA.

ducks
12-04-2018, 12:21 AM
If the lineup is like last game
And they can average 109 a game they will make the playoffs

JPB
12-04-2018, 12:23 AM
White has shown glimpses of hope the last few games... He should get better with the season progressing.

Right ?

Kobe'sAchilles
12-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Welcome in today's NBA.
yup :wakeup
I hate it.

SAGirl
12-04-2018, 12:30 AM
6 reb 3 asts and decent defense are way better than our Cun Belli Patty Jakob give us.
Don't waste your time. Kyle isn't in the Spurs and besides troll bait it's off topic. Really off topic.

SAGirl
12-04-2018, 12:32 AM
Memphisgirl : lol
Is that you? I have wondered whose troll alt that is. It has to be you. :tu good nickname.

SAGirl
12-04-2018, 12:36 AM
I trully believe this team can do better than what they're doing by having Pop play the better players on the roster (like White and Bertans) more than the lesser players (like Cunningham, Belinelli and Forbes).
At least it's a start. It may turn around their season (maybe wishful thinking but maybe not). And if it doesn't work at least you developed some guys and have a better idea what you need. The problem with benching vets is that they get devalued. If they aren't going to play Belinelli they need to trade him.

BackHome
12-04-2018, 12:39 AM
Yeah Anderson shit is old news so much more shit to be worried about or discuss then another teams player. As far as for me our team sucks all I want is a 1 year tank which I think we can get we are one injury away from being the shittiest team in the NBA.

Come on Pop you did it to get Timmy fall on your fucking sword one more time ya old bastard :whine

Play Boban
12-04-2018, 12:41 AM
:cry
Well the team has won one game and they are still out of the playoffs.

However, This is the perfect moment to point out it’s only December. Still over half a season to play, winning runs still possible.

Even some deals to improve are still possible after Dec. 15.

Things are looking up right?

Post all your “it’s only December takes”....

Play Boban
12-04-2018, 12:42 AM
:lol

r0drig0lac
12-04-2018, 04:09 AM
it's only December, and we have the sixth worst schedule remaining in the league, relax

monty4329
12-04-2018, 08:23 AM
I have thought the same for some time now but you know Pop is going to squeeze very ounce that he can from this group. They are stuck in limbo right now.

Why shouldn't he? On a playoffs' shorter rotation and slower pace, you can win a series with, say, the Clips -whose long bench won't matter in April. Or Memphis.

RC_Drunkford
12-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Gotta hope that Lonnie Walker can make an instant impact. I also hope to see Pop play Moore quite a bit since he's on a 2-way deal. He has all the tools to make it. White, Bertans and Poeltl should get better as the season progresses. Gotta hope the Spurs make a trade for a 3-and-D wing like Ariza or Carroll. If all those things pan out they might be able to make the Playoffs.

This team is very inconsistent. They don't beat teams they have to beat, but then get some wins against good teams, so it's hard to tell what their potential is. This stretch with playing Utah and the Lakers twice should be very telling. We still have to see this team at full strength with everybody healthy so there's some hope. The end of our schedule in March/April is also quite soft, so they might be able to get on a winning-streak by the end of the season.

SAGirl
12-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Why shouldn't he? On a playoffs' shorter rotation and slower pace, you can win a series with, say, the Clips -whose long bench won't matter in April. Or Memphis.
Defense matters in the playoffs but b4 they get there, they need to put some wins together and reverse the trend.

sananspursfan21
12-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Poeltl is taking shape as a decent rim protector. Now if the rest of the D can catch on, I still believe this team can make some noise

tb5
12-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Still early and the West is somewhat close. This team is up and down which is expected of a young team. If the Spurs can ride out this tough stretch for the next month and stay at .500, they may be able to surge later on as folks return from injury and get acclimated.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-04-2018, 12:39 PM
SAGirl, thanks for the sprinkling of positivity. :tu

I look at this team as having some opportunity. LMA hasn't played well. He can do better. The team has lost its identity a bit with all of the personnel changes. Murray was being groomed as the new team leader and touting himself as such, and then he is suddenly out for the season. Pau is out, Walker hasn't played yet. Belli has played way below his potential (I hope). I think there's still hope that Pop will find some combinations that work and that guys that aren't playing great right now will do better, and someone will step us into that leadership role. I also think there may be a move or two coming. I know Pop's way is to stand pat, typically, but this year's group could use an infusion of talent, and so I'm hopeful that will be coming too.

March is a long way off, but in this case this group can't wait until then. January is the new March for this team to have to start playing well, or at least, significantly better...I have hope.

Believe.

JPB
12-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Tonight's game is important (somehow). Spurs are still recovering form last week two bukkakes. They cleaned up their faces with the Blazers but there are still guys around ready to shoot if they put one knee down.

Stay standing guys.

SAGirl
12-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Well, the winning streak is at 1 again, right now. The turning point of the season?

SAGirl
12-09-2018, 10:09 PM
2 game win streak!!!!!I

:lobt2:

BackHome
12-10-2018, 12:36 AM
Buy Your Lottery Ticket!!

dbestpro
12-10-2018, 05:13 AM
The secret sauce? Less Cunningham.

vavvi
12-10-2018, 07:40 AM
The secret sauce? Less Cunningham.

To be continued...

The Secret Sauce 2: Less Forbes

JPB
12-18-2018, 05:25 AM
Good call OP tbh.

I gave xmas to this team to judge them and this homestand was exactly what the doctor ordered to work on their defense and build some chemistry...

If not for that Bulls-hit game, they've been pretty impressive, blowing out the clappers and suxers.

LMA is dominant again and Gay's confirming is back to borderline star-level.

And more importantly, they're fun to watch again and I'm starting to feel some attachment back for my spurs.

Now dear Santa for xmas, I'd like you to extract that mancrush for Cunningham from Pop's head. This is getting embarassing now.