PDA

View Full Version : Duncan finds little help as Spurs fall to Pacers

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 03:10 AM
Duncan finds little help as Spurs fall to Pacers

Web Posted: 10/26/2005 01:03 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102605.1C.BKNspurs.pacers.gamer.6d33637.html

For one night, at least, they lived up to the expectations and the magazine cover hype. They showed off the depth of their talent, flexed their muscle and, before long, overwhelmed their opponent.

In doing so, the Indiana Pacers did little to damage their reputation as one of the NBA's leading championship contenders, cruising to a 97-86 victory over the Spurs on Tuesday night in front of 15,604 fans at the SBC Center.

As for the league's defending champions? Aside from Tim Duncan's 29 points and 10 rebounds and a spirited effort from their reserves, the Spurs didn't look too title worthy.

Yet. They still have one more preseason game and a week's worth of work ahead of them before next Tuesday's season opener against Denver.

"We've got a lot of individuals who aren't playing well; a lot of guys whose individual games aren't real good right now," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "As a team we haven't really come together with any sort of a rhythm. We probably have a decent number of people who aren't real interested in laying it out on the court right now.

"We're getting there slowly but surely, but a lot more slowly than we need to."

Duncan scored 21 points in his first 13 minutes on the floor, which were 11 more than the Spurs' starting backcourt totaled for the evening. Tony Parker missed 7 of 10 shots and Manu Ginobili was errant on all six of his attempts.

His hair freshly shorn short, Ginobili didn't get much done against Ron Artest or anyone else who guarded him, finishing with more turnovers (three) than points (two). Asked if the left thigh bruise Ginobili received during Friday's practice contributed to his struggles, Popovich said, "No, he just played badly."

After using several different lineup combinations during the Spurs' first seven preseason games, Popovich played his regulars for the first 31/2 quarters. Brent Barry and Robert Horry came off the bench midway through the first quarter and Michael Finley, Fabricio Oberto and Nick Van Exel followed a few minutes later.

While the Pacers' depth rivals that of the Spurs, they were missing centers Jeff Foster, Scot Pollard and David Harrison and forward Jonathan Bender because of injuries. Indiana, however, still had more than enough personnel to overwhelm the Spurs in the second quarter.

Trailing by six, the Pacers made three consecutive 3-pointers, the first two courtesy of their new backup point guard, Sarunas Jasikevicius. Indiana went on to outscore the Spurs 30-10 in the final 7 minutes, 37 seconds of the half.

"They shot the ball very well and were very physical on the other end," Duncan said. "But what it came down to it, they got too many open shots."

The Spurs' second unit helped cut Indiana's lead to six by the end of the third quarter. Parker and Ginobili returned to start the final quarter, but the Spurs never regained the rhythm the reserves had established.

"There's no frustration right now," Duncan said. "When Nov. 1 comes, our record is zero and zero and we start all over."

Mohammed out: Nazr Mohammed missed Tuesday's game and Popovich doesn't think he'll rejoin the team for Thursday's preseason finale against Philadelphia, either.

"We're hoping he'll be back before the start of season," Popovich said. "But he needs to make sure everything is OK with his family first."

Mohammed missed three games after the birth of his son then had to leave the team again late last week to rejoin his family in Kentucky.

If Mohammed misses Thursday's game, he will have played in only three of the team's nine exhibitions, increasing the likelihood Rasho Nesterovic will begin the season as the starting center.

Cut-down time: Melvin Sanders also did not play Tuesday after rolling his left ankle in Monday's practice. Sanders is vying for a spot on the Spurs' roster with Stephen Graham and Sharrod Ford.

Teams must pare down their rosters by Thursday to allow players to clear waivers by Monday. Given that the Spurs are already over the luxury tax and none of their training-camp invitees has done much to distinguish themselves recently, it wouldn't be a surprise to see the team waive all three players.

The Spurs already have 13 players with guaranteed contracts. If they decide not to keep Sanders, Graham or Ford, they may still try to pick up an athletic swingman, depending on who else is cut around the league.

Rummpd
10-26-2005, 03:20 AM
Time to worry?

Vashner
10-26-2005, 03:52 AM
Worry about what? A game that does not count?

Admidave50
10-26-2005, 04:23 AM
Our scrubs didn't play much (ford, graham, sanders) and TP, Duncan & Manu played 25+ minutes..

Pop admitted that the team wasn't ready yet, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose some games at the beginning of the season with the 1st game starting in less than a week.

I'm very intrigued about the second quarter.. what happened?

ZStomp
10-26-2005, 04:40 AM
Time to worry?

Are you serious?

Shiner Bock Girl
10-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Time to worry?

Pop saying this makes me worry.

"We've got a lot of individuals who aren't playing well; a lot of guys whose individual games aren't real good right now," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "As a team we haven't really come together with any sort of a rhythm. We probably have a decent number of people who aren't real interested in laying it out on the court right now.

They have ONE more game to find their rhythm or this could be scarry....

SWC Bonfire
10-26-2005, 08:11 AM
They have ONE more game to find their rhythm or this could be scary....

Well, you haven't heard an AI-like Preseason/Practice comment yet, so I wouldn't be worried about it. Maybe they need to lose some games so that they don't believe everything that is written about them.

easjer
10-26-2005, 08:14 AM
If Pop were really all that concerned about chemistry, he could have taken the earlier preseason more seriously. I mean, it's preseason, it doesn't count, but if he were truly worried about meshing players and individual games, I think he would have concentrated on that instead of tryouts for the scrubs.

So no, I don't think it's time to worry. I'm not worried until a losing record in December. They'll drill in practice and be fine. I think Pop's attitude about preseason has infected his players too. What I read from this is that Pop is not that the team is in trouble but that they need to find a rhythm which is difficult because no one cares about preseason.

ploto
10-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Tim is definitely ready. No way Nazr starts now. He has made it to about 11 days of training camp. Manu and Bruce haven't done much of anything the entire pre-season. At least Tony has had occasional sparks. Finley and NVE have been up and down. Horry is somewhat coasting. Brent and Rasho, after having been the often scapegoats, have had some of the better overall pre-seasons. Oberto is catching on.

I will admit that last night the team looked like they just wanted the pre-season over.

I'm curious, is anyone glad we still have Rasho now?

ducks
10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
spurs are slow starters last year was the exception

Spurzn703
10-26-2005, 09:37 AM
This reminds me of my Dolphins website I go to. Everyone taking preseason so seriously. All preseason ever is for any sport is a televised scrimmage that doesnt count. I wouldn't get so hyped up over it if I were you.

And if the Spurs need to lose a few games out of the gate, then so be it. Whatever it takes to get back to last year

GoSpurs21
10-26-2005, 09:50 AM
for the last two games Manu has looked like he is playing at 1/2 speed
too many layups missed last night
Fin and Van Excel have yet to learn the Spurs system or impress much, although the back up team the Spurs had in the later part of the 3rd quarter did bring the Spurs from -20 to -6, but again that was against the Paces 2nd team.

If NVE does not improve Pop needs to play Beno more. I hope Ford makes the team he has impressed me in his hustle and touch around the rim.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2005, 09:56 AM
spurs are slow starters last year was the exception
Yep. I'm not sure why anyone would worry if they play like crap at the beginning of the season. I'm not actually sure why anyone would be particularly surprised.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 09:58 AM
I think that the only thing that's a little worrisome is that Pop seems to indicate that most of them aren't trying.

easjer
10-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Does he really want them try in the preseason though? That is never the impression I've gotten from Pop. Everything I've gotten from him indicates that the preseason is a crap time to get through without too much exertion or injury.

It starts with him. If he wants them to be more productive in the preseason, he should push it. Now if he is, and they aren't playing well . . . but then, he hasn't played the starters together much has he?

I imagine they'll have shaken off the rust within the first couple of weeks or so.

BigVee
10-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I think that the only thing that's a little worrisome is that Pop seems to indicate that most of them aren't trying.

They may just be following his lead. His quotes about "getting pre-season over" and no injuries...making the exhibition season sound llike a root canal may have rubbed off on the players. We will see for sure Nov. 1. I am staying hopeful, but have concerns..

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Does he really want them try in the preseason though? That is never the impression I've gotten from Pop. Everything I've gotten from him indicates that the preseason is a crap time to get through without too much exertion or injury.

It starts with him. If he wants them to be more productive in the preseason, he should push it. Now if he is, and they aren't playing well . . . but then, he hasn't played the starters together much has he?

I imagine they'll have shaken off the rust within the first couple of weeks or so.

He really wants them to try. People are battling for minutes, of course they should be trying.

Obi wan Ginobili
10-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Why would they try?

I for one am HAPPY to see things like Manu not running the court on a breakaway in the preseason.

It makes me feel like he has learned to control his game and when to turn it on and off which will make him last MUCH longer as a player in this league.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 10:14 AM
I for one am HAPPY to see things like Manu not running the court on a breakaway in the preseason.

Missing open layups takes about much effort as making them. That's the type of stuff they are talking about, not being reckless.

batman2883
The thing that gets me is that people are freaking out about the Spurs losing a lot during preseason...when the lights go on and the ball is thrown in the air for jump ball on opening night November 1st...thats when the Spurs will kick some serious butt..and do it with all the intensity they had last year. This is preseason these games don't count...if you wanna look at another prime example look at the Patriots of the NFL last season they lost all their preseason games and won the superbowl still. Preseason means nothing and is simply a tune-up for the upcoming season. Mark my words, opening night will be a great game to watch for all Spurs fans

BigVee
Maybe, but I gotta believe the Nuggets have had this game circled on their calendar all summer, and will come out to knock the crap out of the Spurs. If the Spurs handle them on opening night...all is well.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 10:15 AM
The thing that gets me is that people are freaking out about the Spurs losing a lot during preseason...when the lights go on and the ball is thrown in the air for jump ball on opening night November 1st...thats when the Spurs will kick some serious butt..and do it with all the intensity they had last year. This is preseason these games don't count...if you wanna look at another prime example look at the Patriots of the NFL last season they lost all their preseason games and won the superbowl still. Preseason means nothing and is simply a tune-up for the upcoming season. Mark my words, opening night will be a great game to watch for all Spurs fans

It's not about them losing in preseason. Pop doesn't give a fuck if they lose. It's about them not trying and not catching on to the basics.

batman2883
10-26-2005, 10:19 AM
It's not about them losing in preseason. Pop doesn't give a fuck if they lose. It's about them not trying and not catching on to the basics.

Well damn that sucks, then, i havent been able to see a preseason game yet, with school going on.....hopefully these guys aren't thinking they can just not try and still get away with it being on Pop's team. So they technically aren't running the basic's the correct way and are missing stupid shots???? Well in any case im sure by opening night things will be corrected and we put on a good show.

The Artest Factor
10-26-2005, 10:21 AM
The Pacers are a better team than the Spurs and last night proved that.

G-Nob
10-26-2005, 10:23 AM
The whole world knows we hit our stride in Jan. not Oct./Nov.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-26-2005, 10:25 AM
The Pacers are a better team than the Spurs and last night proved that.
:lol I was wondering when you'd show up! The Pacers were the better team last night, which means about as much as your "unbiased" break down. The Spurs didn't go 82-0 last year, but they still won a championship. And they routinely get out of the gate slowly. I'm going to go take a nap. Wake me up in March when the Spurs are looking like the best team in basketball and Artest and Jackson are cell mates.

easjer
10-26-2005, 10:30 AM
He really wants them to try. People are battling for minutes, of course they should be trying.

Oh. Ok then.

I'll be watching next Tuesday, and can see better then, but my hope is they bring the desire and intensity then. Of course, I know how dangerous it can be to plan to do better later (when it matters), because you've gotten into the habit of being lazy by the time it really matters.

But they're my boys, they'll pull through.

G-Nob
10-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Can we do a vBookie on the over/under in games Ron Artest will implode on a fan or a teammate?

batman2883
10-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Fucking Artest factor is an idiot.....dude its preseason get over the win, when the spurs kick the pacers ass on December 27th....your tears will fall

bigbendbruisebrother
10-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Pop saying this makes me worry.

They have ONE more game to find their rhythm or this could be scarry....

I take that quote as the sound of Pop lighting the pilot.

Oh, Gee!!
10-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Time to worry?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27562

boutons
10-26-2005, 11:24 AM
People say don't worry about starting slow (ie, losing games while playing badly).

But the Spurs are Champions because the Pistons started very slowly last November (Larry was complaining in the press about having "to coach effort"), had a .500 record up to Nov 19 brawl (an unforseeable bump in the road, like injuries). As a result, the Spurs had HCA in the Finals, and won the last quarter of Game7 AT SBC.

What is the betting that Spurs would have won that Finals Game7 4th qtr @Auburn Hills?

All 82 games count. Who is indifferent as to whether the Spurs have to play the 06 Finals where Pacers, Heat, or Pistons have HCA?

Games lost to injuries and fatigue are inevitable, unavoidable for every (unlucky) team, the games lost to lack of effort aren't.

One of the reasons repeating is so hard is exactly the laurel-resting that hit the Pistons last season.

Is laurel-resting going to afflict the Spurs?

The "fuck the season. it's all about the playoffs" position always looks myopically stupid come March and April as the top playoff teams play primarily to win or maintain HCA.

slayermin
10-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Are you guys really worried? Manu was probably missing layups because his equilibrium was off due to the lack of hair. Look what happened to Samson when they chopped off his dew.

2centsworth
10-26-2005, 12:14 PM
People say don't worry about starting slow (ie, losing games while playing badly).

But the Spurs are Champions because the Pistons started very slowly last November (Larry was complaining in the press about having "to coach effort"), had a .500 record up to Nov 19 brawl (an unforseeable bump in the road, like injuries). As a result, the Spurs had HCA in the Finals, and won the last quarter of Game7 AT SBC.

What is the betting that Spurs would have won that Finals Game7 4th qtr @Auburn Hills?

All 82 games count. Who is indifferent as to whether the Spurs have to play the 06 Finals where Pacers, Heat, or Pistons have HCA?

Games lost to injuries and fatigue are inevitable, unavoidable for every (unlucky) team, the games lost to lack of effort aren't.

One of the reasons repeating is so hard is exactly the laurel-resting that hit the Pistons last season.

Is laurel-resting going to afflict the Spurs?

The "fuck the season. it's all about the playoffs" position always looks myopically stupid come March and April as the top playoff teams play primarily to win or maintain HCA.

Pretty good post.

jermaine7fan
10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Fucking Artest factor is an idiot.....dude its preseason get over the win, when the spurs kick the pacers ass on December 27th....your tears will fallArtest Factor gives a bad name to our fans... I would like to appologize for him being here... and to let you know we aren't all as full of BS as this guy is... you guys have a great team... you are gonna have a great year... I know you guys could easily beat us this year... I think I am going to enjoy watching Pacers/Spurs games more than Pacers/Pistons games this year... I like the friendly rivalry we are gonna have with you guys... our organization really respects and looks up to yours... we are gonna have some great games later on this year... namely in June :spin Can't wait to see you guys in December,though...

Carie
10-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Artest Factor gives a bad name to our fans... I would like to appologize for him being here... and to let you know we aren't all as full of BS as this guy is... you guys have a great team... you are gonna have a great year... I know you guys could easily beat us this year... I think I am going to enjoy watching Pacers/Spurs games more than Pacers/Pistons games this year... I like the friendly rivalry we are gonna have with you guys... our organization really respects and looks up to yours... we are gonna have some great games later on this year... namely in June :spin Can't wait to see you guys in December,though...
A fan like this is always welcome! :)