PDA

View Full Version : DePalma - Netflix doc review

SpursforSix
12-04-2018, 12:10 PM
I've enjoyed a few of his films and checked out this doc. Which is basically an interview with DePalma talking about several of his films while showing scenes from the films.
Seemed like he was pretty honest about how many of his techniques were taken directly from Hitchcock and others. And about his mistakes.

It was pretty good. Pretty cool material about the years when he, Scorese, Spielberg, Lucas, and Coppola were all up and coming directors and fairly close with each other.
And when he discovered De Niro.

6.5/10

Chucho
12-04-2018, 05:20 PM
I've enjoyed a few of his films and checked out this doc. Which is basically an interview with DePalma talking about several of his films while showing scenes from the films.
Seemed like he was pretty honest about how many of his techniques were taken directly from Hitchcock and others. And about his mistakes.

It was pretty good. Pretty cool material about the years when he, Scorese, Spielberg, Lucas, and Coppola were all up and coming directors and fairly close with each other.
And when he discovered De Niro.

6.5/10

Watch the Orson Welles one.

SpursforSix
12-04-2018, 05:24 PM
Watch the Orson Welles one.

will do...been thinking about it. It is "They'll Love Me When I'm Dead"?

Chucho
12-04-2018, 05:27 PM
will do...been thinking about it. It is "They'll Love Me When I'm Dead"?

Yup. Really fucking good and definitely different. But I do advise, you're gonna waste your time if you watch the movie that Netflix "finished" that the doc is centered around. It's just a fucking mess and you'll understand why after you watch the doc.

SpursforSix
12-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Yup. Really fucking good and definitely different. But I do advise, you're gonna waste your time if you watch the movie that Netflix "finished" that the doc is centered around. It's just a fucking mess and you'll understand why after you watch the doc.

Thanks for bringing it up. I checked it out last night and enjoyed it. Better than the DePalma doc.
Incredibly bizarre story. Did you try to watch the actual movie?

CitizenDwayne
12-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Love DePalma and his movies. This one is cool to watch just to marvel at his filmmaking, but you’re not really gonna learn anything about him that you couldn’t find on his Wikipedia page

SpursforSix
12-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Love DePalma and his movies. This one is cool to watch just to marvel at his filmmaking, but you’re not really gonna learn anything about him that you couldn’t find on his Wikipedia page

I thought it was interesting to see them show a scene from an older director like Hitchcock and then the scene where DePalma used the technique. And appreciated how honest he was about giving the credit where it belonged.