PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Draft Discussion: 2019 NBA Draft

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Big Empty
12-06-2018, 06:39 AM
The way things are looking the Spurs will get a top 13 pick this year. With Murray coming back and with LA and DD still under contract for two more seasons, do u trade this pick for a solid veteran to have a big 3 assuming the pick isnt a top 4 or do u try to find a player to develop and continue to roll with what we got hoping to tank again the following season?

james evans
12-06-2018, 07:13 AM
No, pop is just gonna draft some slow ass Euro that can’t defend and won’t play for 2 more seasons.

Thomas82
12-06-2018, 07:31 AM
I would keep the pick and get the best big man available.

BackHome
12-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Ughh you mean best SF available right?

Blackhaus
12-06-2018, 08:16 AM
At this point they need to rebuild. I can see the spurs winning just enough games to fuck up their draft position.

dbestpro
12-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Vets can be had in free agency. They need to draft people who can play defense.

TDMVPDPOY
12-06-2018, 08:40 AM
fck the lottery pick

pop and rc needs to fkn g o man

james evans
12-06-2018, 08:47 AM
fck the lottery pick

pop and rc needs to fkn g o man

Lonnie Walker IV
12-06-2018, 09:22 AM
I would keep the pick and get the best big man available.

We need a SF you dumbfuck. :lmao

SpurSpike
12-06-2018, 09:55 AM
If the Spurs get a good draft pick this year they will not need to tank again next year. They still have a decent team, but many of them are new or young or have been injured. Use this year to give the young guys experience, get the highest draft pick you can and then make the necessary trades in the off season and the spurs will be back to being contenders.

bic50
12-06-2018, 09:57 AM
No, pop is just gonna draft some slow ass Euro that can’t defend and won’t play for 2 more seasons.

bic50
12-06-2018, 10:03 AM
If the Spurs get a good draft pick this year they will not need to tank again next year. They still have a decent team, but many of them are new or young or have been injured. Use this year to give the young guys experience, get the highest draft pick you can and then make the necessary trades in the off season and the spurs will be back to being contenders.
:lol

Dverde
12-06-2018, 11:42 AM

We need much more than a SF...

BackHome
12-06-2018, 12:35 PM
It’s a start but yeah we also need a PF and we need a whole new bench. But as they say the journey begins with the first step and the first step for us is the lottery/draft. This draft will easily get us three better talented more athletic players then we have now. That means we can let some of these scrubs with no talent go and our starting team is better and our bench is better.

The big question is who has value that we can trade for picks or players? For me everyone is on the block for the right deal and price.

1. Bertans instant offense terrible defensive and terrible rebounder - maybe late first or early second round pick or player.
2. Forbes same as Bertans maybe a late second?
3. Gasol to old have no idea on his value
4. Mills not a bad for some team close who needs 3 ball and a good bench player.
4. Cunningham no value
5. Poindexter no value
6. Nikola confract - hey Boston needs a big man they got 4 picks
7. LMA - people give him crap but I think teams that are close to getting ring would love
to get him. I can see Boston, Bucks, Flakers to name a few.

MultiTroll
12-06-2018, 12:38 PM
7. LMA - people give him crap but I think teams that are close to getting ring would love
to get him. I can see Boston, Bucks, Flakers to name a few.
Yep.
He's still having enough good games that other teams can see what he could bring to their Champ chances.

Harry Callahan
12-06-2018, 12:39 PM
Like I said already elsewhere - this is a mult-year process (2-3 years) - a "Journey" is totally the correct way to describe it. Anyone over 25 years old should not be retained long term (after 2020).

This team does not have a SF. This team has some potentially nice combo guards and shooting guards. Murray might be something but we won't see him until next year. Point guard? I'm not sure.

This is going to be a long, possibly painful process.

FWIW, the Spurs WITH Nephew have been a long shot to win the title without Duncan holding down the defensive fort.

TDomination
12-06-2018, 01:25 PM
whatever position we draft in, there is one main focus that we should have. DEFENSE, DEFENSE and say it with me DEFENSE.

I feel better about a proven defender in college who struggles to shoot than a player who can be lights out shooting but has limited D.

Kawhi was not a great shooter going into the draft but we got him for his D. and he developed into a great scorer. So i'd rather go that rout again.

BackHome
12-06-2018, 02:23 PM
No no no tired of one dimensional players we need to get a two way player.

Thomas82
12-07-2018, 03:28 PM

We do have 2 first round picks.........and watch the name-calling!!

Atl Spur
12-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Any news on Huestis?

BackHome
12-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Still recovering from surgery of broken foot it’s a long tricky healing processes since very little blood flow in area were broke occurred hence the need for surgery.

phxspurfan
12-07-2018, 05:34 PM
this is a mult-year process (2-3 years)

It doesn't have to be. Just make the tough choices and release Mills, Forbes and Cunningham. Then sign some placeholders this year and fill in with LW, Murray, another good SF or two, change up the lineups to something realistic and we're back in contention.

:drunk:

edit: also retire Pau already.

Gibbz
12-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Doumbouya or Little, please!

Drom John
01-17-2019, 04:10 PM
NBA Draftnet 1/16/19
Spurs
#19 Jontay Porter
#30 Chuma Okeke
#49 Darius Bazley

ESPN Kevin Flaherty 21 hours ago, aka 16 January 2019

20. San Antonio Spurs — Luguentz Dort, SG, Arizona State
The No. 5 shooting guard and No. 30 overall player in the 247Sports Composite, Dort has excelled as a freshman with 17.1 points per game, though his outside shot has come and gone. At 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds, Dort already has an NBA body.

29. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto) — Admiral Schofield, SF/PF, Tennessee
At 6-6 and 241 pounds, Schofield is a fun player to try and project to the next level. He’s shooting 47.3 percent from behind the arc, averaging 17.7 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game, and he’s taken over some big games in key spots for this year’s Volunteers.

Drom John
01-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Bleacher Report: Jonathan Wasserman, 2019 NBA Draft Big Board: RJ Barrett Is Still Zion Williamson's Biggest Threat (January 15, 2019)
Not team specific.

20. Rui Hachimura (Gonzaga, PF, Junior)

We're still relatively hesitant on Hachimura, due to concerns over his shooting (0.7 threes per 40), passing (36 turnovers, 30 assists) and defense (1.0 block per 40). But he's obviously taken a notable step forward in averaging 20.8 points.

Hachimura is shooting above 60.0 percent inside the arc for the third consecutive season, ranking in the 83rd percentile in transition, 84th percentile on post-ups and 85th percentile on cuts. And though the three-ball isn't a big part of his game, he's shooting 46.7 percent on spot-up, non-dribble jumpers and 61.5 percent on pull-ups after the catch.

He has the chance to create mismatches against NBA 4s with his face-up quickness. Hachimura just has to show more defensive effort and improved range on his jumper to maximize his fit and potential.

29. Shamorie Ponds (St. John's, PG, Junior)

Ponds has answered the call from scouts by improving his three-point shooting (40.0 percent) and floor game (6.0 assists to 2.1 turnovers). He's still a scorer first, and at 6'1", 175 pounds, it's worth questioning his fit and upside. But Ponds returned to St. John's as a more complete, efficient guard. And it's now easier to buy into his chances of carving out a spark role off an NBA bench.

49. Jaylen Hoard (Wake Forest, SF/PF, Freshman)

Scoring versatility should keep interest in Hoard alive, being a 6'8" forward who can face up or work from the post. But at this stage, only the idea of NBA Hoard is attractive. He's shot just 5-of-26 from three, ranking in the 13th percentile out of spot-ups and 48th percentile in half-court offense.

Drom John
01-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Fansided: Brendon Klee, 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Could the Hawks jumpstart their rebuild in 2019? (9 hours ago, AKA 17 January 2019)

Brandon Clarke
F/C, Gonzaga
Gonzaga

If you thought Shawn Marion was in the NBA a decade too early, watch Brandon Clarke.

Tyrese Haliburton
G, Iowa State
Iowa State

If the past three drafts are any evidence, San Antonio wants to build around long, athletic guards and play aggressive defense. Haliburton checks all the boxes.

Drom John
01-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Amico Hoops: Sam Amico, 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Third installment (January 12, 2019)

19. San Antonio Spurs: Jontay Porter, PF/C, Missouri

29. San Antonio Spurs (via Toront0): Eric Paschall, F, Villanova

Drom John
01-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Yahoo! Sports: Rob Dauster, 2019 NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Zion Williamson remains No. 1, Duke goes 1-2-3 (Jan. 17, 2019)

Not team specific:

20. ASHTON HAGANS, Kentucky

In the five games since Hagans burst onto the scene with eight steals in a win over North Carolina, he’s averaged 15.8 points, 4.4 assists and 3.6 steals while shooting 55.6 percent from the floor. Like Jones, he’s far more advanced defensively than he is offensively, but he’s a total game-changer on the defensive end and, frankly, I think that his shooting touch is closer than people might think.

There’s an added layer here — Hagans is uber-competitive. He’s jawing with someone every game. He put up a career-high 23 points at Georgia, his home-state school where he was previously committed, after the fans in the arena spent the day all over him. You have to love that in a player.

29. LUGUENTZ DORT, Arizona State

Dort is a powerful, athletic combo-guard that shot up draft boards early in the year before coming back down to earth in recent weeks. His inefficiency is the concern, and while he’s a star defender, he’s nowhere near the creator that his best comparison — Marcus Smart — is now or was in college. The question that NBA teams are going to have to ask when deciding about drafting Dort is whether his inefficiency stems from who he is as a player, or if it is simply the result of playing on a team that doesn’t have many other offensive options.

Drom John
01-17-2019, 04:36 PM
The Game Haus: Joe DiTullio, 2019 NBA Mock Draft January 11

20. San Antonio Spurs- Naz Reid, C, LSU

LSU is waiting for Reid to take over a game completely, but he is still a solid big man worth first-round consideration.

30. San Antonio Spurs- Carsen Edwards, PG, Purdue

Edwards can score in bunches, but doesn’t have prototypical size or athleticism for the NBA.

Drom John
01-17-2019, 04:40 PM
NBA Günlükleri: Berkcan Tokyay, 2019 NBA Mock Draft! (11 January 2019)

19. San Antonio Spurs: Jontay Porter, PF/C, Missouri

29. San Antonio Spurs (via Toront0): Eric Paschall, F, Villanova

Drom John
01-17-2019, 04:48 PM
Tankathon: 2019 NBA Draft Big Board
Player Rankings updated 5 days ago AKA 12 January 2019

20. Daniel Gafford, C, Arkansas, So.

29. Goga Bitadze, C, Budućnost VOLIt, 19.5 yrs.

49. Matisse Thybulle, SF, Washington, Sr.

Robz4000
01-17-2019, 05:03 PM
I really like the idea of Dort at 29 (been watching him at ASU for two seasons now), but I just don't see the fit with the Spurs having so many young guards already. He'd make sense if one of Murray or Walker were traded to fix the hole at SF.

Twisted_Dawg
01-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Hey Drom John, real nice work you did here. Thanks!:toast

Indianman
01-18-2019, 07:58 AM
Hey Drom John, real nice work you did here. Thanks!:toast
+1

Russ
01-19-2019, 10:16 PM
Jaxson Hayes (UT freshman, 6'11") may be available where the Spurs pick.

He has incredible potential as a modern big and seems to have that rare down-to-earth persona.

vander
01-19-2019, 10:39 PM
Lol why do any of these mocks have the Spurs taking a PG, G, or C?

LCM
01-19-2019, 10:44 PM
Lol why do any of these mocks have the Spurs taking a PG, G, or C?

That blows my mind too! There are so many mock drafts that are alergic to the Spurs taking a SF/PF it's incredible!

exstatic
01-19-2019, 11:22 PM
Most mocks don’t take positional needs into account until after the college withdrawal deadline.

BackHome
01-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Like it or not Spurs first pick will be the best player on there board so SG, C, PF, SF, PG it don’t matter.

smaka
01-22-2019, 02:31 PM
I could see the Spurs going after Goga Bitadze, he is a modern young center with good offensive skills and improving 3pt shot. He debuted in euroleague a few weeks ago and with what I saw, I was pretty impressed. I bet his stock will increase if he continues good play, might end up being picked before Spurs have their first pick tho.

Chinook
01-22-2019, 03:22 PM
I could see the Spurs going after Goga Bitadze, he is a modern young center with good offensive skills and improving 3pt shot. He debuted in euroleague a few weeks ago and with what I saw, I was pretty impressed. I bet his stock will increase if he continues good play, might end up being picked before Spurs have their first pick tho.

Yeah, Tankathon has him going at 30. Would be such a good pick with the Toronto slot. Too good to be true, likely, but giving them a chance to stash him if they want to. Center is a draft need for the squad, though, because Poeltl is going to be an RFA in a year where the Spurs might not have the money for him. Even if they keep him, there is a non-negligible chance that Aldridge isn't going to be around too much longer after that, so having a rotational player ready to take over makes sense. Milutinov shouldn't keep them from drafting anyone.

duncan2150
01-22-2019, 04:58 PM

He has incredible potential as a modern big and seems to have that rare down-to-earth persona.

I discovered him two weeks ago, looks like an intriguing prospect.

i really don’t Know what the spurs will do with their picks as they could take a guy at every position. I think we need a good SF but we could ad a true pg( depends on White/Murray positions next year) or pg/sg , a wing or a inside guy who can protect the rim ala Daniel gafford.

Maybe we’ll go with the BPA.

BackHome
01-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Boston will probably grab him they need a big and having 4 first picks they will need to stash someone.

Drom John
01-22-2019, 05:42 PM
NBC Sports Washington: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 1.0: Murray State's Ja Morant surging into top 5

14. San Antonio Spurs: Sekou Doumbouya

Nationality: France
Position: Power Forward
Height/Weight: 6-9/210

Bio: A versatile forward with freaky athleticism, Doumbouya plays for Limoges CSP in the top-tier of French basketball.

He's currently sidelined with a thumb injury which will require surgery.

29. San Antonio Spurs: Bruno Fernando

College: Maryland
Position: Center
Height/Weight: 6-10/245

Bio: This might seem a bit low for Fernando, but he's got nowhere to go but up. With a plethora of big men being available in the mid-first, don't be surprised if Fernando is closer to No. 15 than No. 30.

Drom John
01-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Basketball Insiders: NBA Daily – 2019 60-Pick NBA Mock Draft
Steve Kyler, January 22, 2019

Simi Shittu
San Antonio Spurs

VanderbiltFreshman
Height: 6' 10
Position: PF
Weight: 240

Quentin Grimes
San Antonio Spurs

KansasFreshman
Height: 6' 4
Position: SG
Weight: 210

BackHome
01-22-2019, 05:52 PM

One mock has us taking him with out first pick and Arnold Schofield with Raptors pick.

r0drig0lac
01-22-2019, 06:02 PM
Boston will probably grab him they need a big and having 4 first picks they will need to stash someone.

Robert Williams?

ceperez
01-22-2019, 08:25 PM
Spurs also have the possibility to trade to get a higher pick.

smaka
01-23-2019, 03:49 AM
Yeah, Tankathon has him going at 30. Would be such a good pick with the Toronto slot. Too good to be true, likely, but giving them a chance to stash him if they want to. Center is a draft need for the squad, though, because Poeltl is going to be an RFA in a year where the Spurs might not have the money for him. Even if they keep him, there is a non-negligible chance that Aldridge isn't going to be around too much longer after that, so having a rotational player ready to take over makes sense. Milutinov shouldn't keep them from drafting anyone.

I agree, but it's pretty safe to say he'll be gone before the Toronto pick. Might as well be gone before Spurs' own pick. He is playing in Euroleague now, putting up pretty nice stats, and I think GMs will be willing to take more "risk" drafting player from Euroleague now, since we all know how they underrated Doncic's performance there, but he showed them it's not just a boys' league.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-23-2019, 04:15 AM

Seems more likely they'll have two picks only with Memphis tanking and Clippers possibly dropping out of the playoffs. They may still draft and stash, mind. They'll have a lot of tough decisions to make in the summer especially if their season is unsuccrssful.

It'd be fun if they had 4 middling picks conveyed in this shallow draft, with few roster spots to use, but it seems their stars are aligning again.

duncan2150
01-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Do You guys think we could draft a true PG ala Tre Jones or not with murray and white playing PG ?

Drom John
01-23-2019, 02:00 PM
SBNation: NBA mock draft 2019: Zion Williamson is No. 1. What happens after that?
Ricky O'Donnell, Jan 23, 2019

20. San Antonio Spurs - Brandon Clarke, C, Gonzaga

A monster defensively and an efficient scorer on offense, Clarke is the rated as the second most valuable player in the sport behind Williamson by metrics like win shares per-40 and box score plus-minus. He doesn’t have great size at 6’8, but he’s a quick, smart player who has been deployed to devastating effect in the Gonzaga front court.

29. San Antonio Spurs - Daniel Gafford, C, Arkansas

Gafford could have been a first-rounder last year but chose to come back to Arkansas for his sophomore season. His per-game numbers have improved considerably despite the Razorbacks struggling all season. He’s another rim-runner, rim protector type who rebounds on both ends, dunks everything and can block shots.

Drom John
01-23-2019, 02:05 PM
NBA Draft Room: 2019 NBA Mock Draft
Updated 1/22/19

Spurs
Bruno Fernando C HT: 6-10 - WT: 245 - WING: 7-4 - FROM: Maryland
A rugged NBA level defender who is starting to put it together on the offensive end. Shows flashes of potential and plenty of upside but lacks consistency. Has all the tools to develop into an NBA starter down the road.
Comp. Emeka Okafor

29 Spurs (from Raptors) Grant Williams PF HT: 6-7 - WT: 235 - WING: NA - FROM: Tennessee
Williams is a powerful post player who also has a lot of finesse in his game. He's an excellent passer and play-maker who plays smart, tough basketball.
[no comp.]

Spurs

Tyus Battle

SG
HT: 6-6 3/4- WT: 200 - WING: NA - FROM: Syracuse
A nice 1 on 1 scorer who can get to the rim and score from mid range but doesn't move the ball well and will have to develop into a better defender if he wants to stick in the League. [No comp.]

Chinook
01-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Clarke would be pretty nice. Dude's a defensive PF rather than a C, but his stats are unreal. Biggest issue with him is really his age. 20 is a little high, but on talent alone, he's an easy lottery pick, so if the team did draft him, they'd get a good player.

Hachimura should see his stock drop. He's pretty much just a scorer now, and he's doing it without shooting well from the NBA three. He's not going to be a bad pick. But he started off the year looking like a guy with amazing potential, and he could end it as a three-year college player who didn't grow nearly as much as folks hoped. Obviously too soon to make that kind of call. But it's not out of the realm of possibility for them to get a chance to draft him when it looked before like he'd be a top-10 pick.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Weird now that a 20 year old is considered an older pick. I know that's been the case for years, but it still seems odd to me. Especially for a big man.

duncan2150
01-23-2019, 05:05 PM
Weird now that a 20 year old is considered an older pick. I know that's been the case for years, but it still seems odd to me. Especially for a big man.

I agree i don’t think it’s Too old, 22-23 starts To be old for a draft pick.

Chinook
01-23-2019, 05:51 PM

It's not that he's too old. It's that he's been in school (at a decent program) for three years now, and his development has kind of stalled out. Especially for a guy with his history, you can believe there's still a really high ceiling there, but upperclassmen traditionally have more polished games. He's not Derrick White, or Brandon Clarke to be more on point. But he's also not some 18-year-old with barely any experience like Lonnie was last season. I'm just saying that with how raw a lot of his game is, he could drop a bit. When folks assumed he'd show a better-rounded game this year, he made it as high as eight on boards. Now, it's not weird to see Clarke ranked near or even above Rui.

Drom John
01-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Fansided: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: There’s movement in the top 5
Brenden Kleen, 4 hours ago [AKA 24 January 2019]

Rui Hachimura
F, Gonzaga
Gonzaga

If there’s any team who can coax good habits out of Hachimura, it’s the Spurs. Oh, and they won’t mind his mid-range happy offensive game.

Darius Bazley
F, Princeton High School
Princeton High School

If you trust any team to swoop in and develop a questionable prospect like Bazley, who is sitting out the season to prepare for the draft, it’s the Spurs, who receive this pick as a byproduct of the Kawhi Leonard trade with Toronto.

Drom John
01-24-2019, 11:23 AM
nbadraft.net: Consensus Mock 2019

(57 users) Updated: 1/24/19 6:18 am

19 San Antonio Jontay Porter 6-11 240 C Missouri So.

30 San Antonio Jalen Smith 6-10 215 PF Maryland Fr.

49 San Antonio Robert Franks 6-8 230 SF/PF Washington St. Sr.

r0drig0lac
01-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Fansided: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: There’s movement in the top 5
Brenden Kleen, 4 hours ago [AKA 24 January 2019]

Hichimura and Bazley ...good for me

Gordy58
01-24-2019, 01:09 PM
I really like Brandon Clarke, KZ Okpala around 19. Wouldn’t mind going with another forward with the second 1st rounder but I feel like we’ll go Euro in either of the two first rounders

BackHome
01-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Alot of different ways the Spurs can go with 3 picks hopefully RC and Pop don’t screw it up.

Chinook
01-24-2019, 08:42 PM
http://www.tankathon.com/power_rankings

Those are Tankathon's rankings for teams by how much draft capital they have. I have some beefs with the ranking system, like I don't think Boston has better draft capital than the Cavs do. But it's an interesting list. There's a link to the 82games methodology, but I think it's more fun to try to suss out individual pick values by looking at the rankings. The Spurs sit at 15, which I guess is fair even though they are one of only four teams with multiple firsts. According to the chart, they have value equivalent of the 11th-overall pick as of right now. Functionally, I think they could get to 14 and keep their second, though LAL probably prefers multiple high-seconds to late-firsts. Unless I got a good deal to catch a falling forward, I think I'd wait and hope more guards get pushed up. There are going to be interesting forwards at the end of the first. Wouldn't mind using the second-rounder to hop up a bit though. Miami doesn't need front-court help and doesn't have any other picks. Would probably take more than just 50 though.

ceperez
01-25-2019, 05:59 PM
http://www.tankathon.com/power_rankings

Those are Tankathon's rankings for teams by how much draft capital they have. I have some beefs with the ranking system, like I don't think Boston has better draft capital than the Cavs do. But it's an interesting list. There's a link to the 82games methodology, but I think it's more fun to try to suss out individual pick values by looking at the rankings. The Spurs sit at 15, which I guess is fair even though they are one of only four teams with multiple firsts. According to the chart, they have value equivalent of the 11th-overall pick as of right now. Functionally, I think they could get to 14 and keep their second, though LAL probably prefers multiple high-seconds to late-firsts. Unless I got a good deal to catch a falling forward, I think I'd wait and hope more guards get pushed up. There are going to be interesting forwards at the end of the first. Wouldn't mind using the second-rounder to hop up a bit though. Miami doesn't need front-court help and doesn't have any other picks. Would probably take more than just 50 though.

Wow... how the hell do the Celtics has so many draft picks?!

No wonder the hawks and celtics want to unload players.

Thomas82
01-26-2019, 01:45 PM

After looking him up more, I wouldn't mind us having him.

Drom John
01-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Fansided: RipCity Project: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 2.0
by Jakob Ashlin 1 day ago [AKA 28 January 2019]

Jontay Porter
Center Missouri
San Antonio Spurs

The Spurs will likely move on from Paul Gasol after this season. Only $6.7 million of his $16 million salary is guaranteed if they choose to waive him. As a result, the Spurs could be interested in drafting another big man. Jontay Porter would be a good fit. He does not have elite explosiveness or speed, but he is a fundamentally sound player who can shoot, pass, and handle the basketball.

Admiral Schofield
Small Forward Tennessee
San Antonio Spurs

The Spurs will receive this pick from the Raptors as part of the Kawhi Leonard trade. Admiral Schofield plays both the shooting guard and small forward positions at Tennessee. Now in his senior season, Schofield has raised his scoring average and three-point percentage each season that he has been at Tennessee. He is shooting 40.9% from three this year, but his true value comes from his tough brand of defense. Schofield is one of the most fearless players in college basketball and has proved himself to be an exceptional defender. If his offensive improvement is for real, the Spurs could have a really good two way player on their hands.

RC_Drunkford
01-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Fansided: RipCity Project: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 2.0
by Jakob Ashlin 1 day ago [AKA 28 January 2019]

Schofield's skillset sounds interesting

Drom John
01-30-2019, 02:56 PM
Sports Illustrated: The Crossover: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Zion Williamson Remains on Top, Ja Morant Continues to Skyrocket
By Jeremy Woo January 30, 2019

20.San Antonio Spurs Spurs (via Raptors)[SIC] : PJ Washington, PF, Kentucky

Height: 6'7" | Weight: 230 | Sophomore

While this might be a little high for Washington, he would be a strong system fit in San Antonio, where the Spurs like to play with two bigs. Washington could help replace Dante Cunningham’s minutes as a rebounding presence and finisher up front right away. He’s come on strong in recent weeks and has a solid case as a long-term role guy in the right system, and while he has some limitations in terms of height, his jump shooting continues to come along. If Washington begins shooting the three consistently, he’ll bring a nice all-around set of strengths to the table.

28.San Antonio Spurs Spurs (via Raptors): Talen Horton-Tucker, G/F, Iowa State

Height: 6’4” | Weight: 240 | Freshman

The Spurs, with two first-rounders, would have a strong opportunity to utilize Horton-Tucker’s unique skill set here. His play has been much better over the course of the past week, and if it persists, he should have a case to test and potentially come out. Horton-Tucker is gifted at playing on the move, and is a better three-point shooter than he’s shown at times—the issue is consistency. There are some questions about what position he’ll guard and what role he might play, but at this stage of the draft, if we’re taking a shot on talent, he makes sense for a creative team.

Drom John
01-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Medium.com: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 1.0
Keandre Ashley, Jan 30

20. San Antonio Spurs: C Jaxson Hayes — Texas

28. San Antonio Spurs (via TOR): F Isaiah Roby — Nebraska

Drom John
02-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Fansided: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Murray State’s Ja Morant is rising
by Brendon Kleen 6 days ago [AKA 31 January 2019]

P.J. Washington
F/C, Kentucky
Kentucky

This pick comes to San Antonio by way of the Kawhi Leonard trade — drafting Washington would give the Spurs a modern defensive big to pair with their cluster of promising young guards.

Bol Bol
C, Oregon
Oregon

The Spurs are not historically a team that seeks out risk to the degree that Bol would present them, but with two first-round picks this year and plenty of promising young talent on the roster, perhaps San Antonio would take the big man despite his season-ending foot surgery.

Drom John
02-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Fansided: NBA Draft 2019: Plenty of lottery shakeups in latest mock draft
by Brian Rauf 5 days ago [AKA 1 February 2019]

28) San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto Raptors) – Grant Williams, PF, Tennessee
Much like his teammate, Williams is a tweener but could be a great small ball four for someone off the bench at the next level. He’s not as athletic as Schofield but is a better offensive player and better passer. Gregg Popovich would love getting a player with his high basketball IQ.

20) San Antonio Spurs – Brandon Clarke, PF/C, Gonzaga
Speaking of players who can’t play forever, Pau Gasol doesn’t have many years left. Even with Gasol, San Antonio could use more athleticism in their frontcourt. Clarke would provide that in spades and serve as a reliable rim protector.

Drom John
02-06-2019, 03:06 PM
Def Pen: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Duke Quartet Packs the Lottery
February 6, 2019 Gabe Esquivel

20. San Antonio Spurs
Jordan Poole: Wing- Michigan

Poole is a dynamic offensive player who oozes high-level potential. The long, lanky 6-foot-4 sophomore is shooting over 40 percent from deep and has begun showing more consistency in his ability to create his own offense. Poole’s long frame and functional athleticism also signal a tantalizing defensive ceiling under the proper tutelage. Poole has much upside as anyone left at this stage of the draft, but it will depend on his IQ development as well as his consistency.

27. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto)
Admiral Schofield: Combo Forward- Tennessee

Tennessee’s standout senior Admiral Schofield is the ideal high-floor type of player that teams want in the late first round. Schofield provides quality floor spacing, the ability to straight line drive strongly, and switchable defense. 6-foot-6 and ripped, Schofield has a body that even NBA players would envy. Given his age and skill set, his ceiling isn’t terribly high. However, Schofield could be a valuable contributor as a role player for a long time.

Drom John
02-06-2019, 03:09 PM
The Wing: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Festival de wings
Grandes sorpresas en una camada con grandes prospects, pero poca profundidad.

28. San Antonio Spurs (vía Toronto Raptors) selecciona a Louis King (SF, Freshman, Oregon)

El conjunto de Popovich no suele dejar pasar a talentos que han caído hasta sus picks y Louis King tiene potencial para salir más arriba, pero las lesiones le han impedido debutar hasta diciembre y todavía está cogiendo ritmo. Pero cuidado, porque es un chico que perfectamente podría acabar como top 20.

San Antonio es ahora mismo uno de los equipos con mejor porcentaje de acierto en triples, pero también es cierto que son los que menos lanzan de toda la liga. Un jugador como Louis King, con un 38% de acierto en en 4.8 intentos por partido, podría ayudarles a estirar la pista para jugadores más interiores.

Por si fuera poco, Rudy Gay es expiring y Davis Bertans acabará contrato el año que viene. Tener algo de profundidad en la posición por lo que pueda pasar en la agencia libre siempre es una decisión inteligente y los Spurs han demostrado que son una franquicia muy trabajada desde los despachos.

19. San Antonio Spurs selecciona a Jaxson Hayes (C, Freshman, Texas)

No hay mejor equipo posible para este jugador ni mejor proyecto posible para una franquicia como San Antonio. Jaxson Hayes y los Spurs son una combinación tan prometedora e interesante que incluso parece poco realista que esto vaya a suceder en la próxima noche del Draft de la NBA. Y es que si hay algún equipo que haya destacado por su metódico trabajo en evolución de jóvenes talentos y su ojo privilegiado a la hora de detectar posibles estrellas del futuro (¿a quién le sonaba un tal Kawhi Leonard cuando estaba en San Diego State?) estos son los Spurs.

Texas se ha convertido en una auténtica referencia en la NCAA a la hora de exportar interiores de calidad. LaMarcus Aldridge, Tristan Thompson o los más recientes Myles Turner, Jarrett Allen y Mohamed Bamba son ejemplos que aumentan incluso más el stock de una de las sensaciones de la temporada universitaria, Jaxson Hayes. En el año en el que todos esperábamos al mejor Jericho Sims (incluso un servidor apostó por él en la previa aquí en The Wing), Texas ha vuelto a sorprender con este espigado cinco de eternos brazos, veloz y experto en el pick&roll (y a altísima velocidad) y muy inteligente sin balón. Fundamentos más que atractivos para que un genio como Popovich le convierta en uno de los mejores cincos de la NBA.

Drom John
02-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Free Agent Forecast: 2019 NBA Mock Draft
9 hours ago [AKA 6 February 2019]

San Antonio Spurs
PG Shamorie Ponds 6'1" | 175 lbs St. John's

San Antonio Spurs
C Charles Bassey 6'11" | 220 lbs Western Kentucky

Drom John
02-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Bleacher Report: Latest NBA Mock Draft Predictions, Post-2019 Trade Deadline
Jonathan Wasserman
February 8, 2019

20. San Antonio Spurs: PJ Washington (Kentucky, PF, Sophomore)

With at least 20 points in four of Kentucky's last five games, Washington has his offense working from each level with his finishing, post game and shooting. Strong, long and nimble, the 6'8", 228-pounder is showing signs of improved skill and motor. There doesn't appear to be significant upside tied to him, but his tools, hands around the basket, projectable jumper and defensive mobility indicate a role-playing big man.

28. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): Deividas Sirvydis (Lithuania, SF, 2000)

After shooting 45.2 percent from three at the U18 European Championships, Sirvydis started the season as a prospect to watch. And he's delivered enough in limited action, flashing a promising mix of three-point shooting, driving and passing for a 6'7" wing.

Drom John
02-11-2019, 04:51 PM
The Game Haus: 2019 NBA Mock Draft February 11
by Joe DiTullio, February 11, 2019

19. San Antonio Spurs- Sekou Doumbouya, F, France

Doumbouya is just 18 and looks like a player that could thrive if a good coach gets his hands on him.

28. San Antonio Spurs- Kevin Porter, G/F, USC

Porter has only played in a few games this season because of a thigh injury, but showed he could do a little bit of everything on the court.

spurs50_
02-11-2019, 05:12 PM
This season can't end fast enough...

DPG21920
02-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Chuma Okeke is the only guy I know of right now since I don’t watch much college bball that interests me.

dbestpro
02-11-2019, 05:28 PM
Kris Wilkes from UCLA looks like the kind of pick Spurs would make for SF.

Drom John
02-12-2019, 11:45 AM
NBA Daily: 2019 60-Pick NBA Mock Draft- 2/20/19
With the 2019 NBA Trade Deadline out of the way, here is another look at all 60 picks of the 2019 NBA Draft and how things could shake out.
February 12, 2019
Steve Kyler

19 Spurs Jarrett Culver, Texas Tech Sophomore SG
28 Spurs Goga Bitadze, Mega Bemaz International C
49 Spurs Paul Eboua, Stella Azzurra International SF

Drom John
02-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Sports Illustrated: NBA Draft Big Board 4.0: Ja Morant Takes Over No. 2 Spot, Zion Williamson Remains on Top
By Jeremy Woo February 12, 2019

Not team specific

19. Goga Bitadze, C, KK Buducnost

Height: 6'11" | Weight: 245 | Age: 19 | Last Rank: 25

Bitadze drew interest as high as the late first round last season but opted to stay overseas, and has continued to impress as a highly productive pro at his age. While it’s harder for big-bodied, below-the-rim centers in his archetype to log heavy minutes in the current NBA, his improving skill set and strong feel for the game give him a chance to make the leap successfully. He has been extremely productive this season, and has handled himself well in EuroLeague play, as well. Bitadze is a pretty natural scorer around the basket, capable passer and strong shot-blocker, and continues to make a good first-round case.

28. Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State | Freshman

Height: 6’5” | Weight: 170 | Age: 18 | Last Rank: 28

Although he has not made much of an impact in the scoring column at all this season, teams have begun to take notice of Haliburton’s other contributions within the context of Iowa State’s success. His minimal offensive usage rate masks his role as a primary offensive conduit for the Cyclones, always making the right pass, rarely turning the ball over, and ensuring his higher-profile teammates are put in good positions to score the ball. Haliburton has exceptional vision and elite instincts on both sides of the ball. His feel for where the ball should go and ability to enhance transition play is elite, and despite shooting a strictly set jumper right now, he’s been making threes at a convincing clip. As he gets stronger, his game will only expand. Returning to school should allow him to improve his draft stock, but he’s put himself in good position to at least test the waters this season. We don’t have a complete sense of how he scores the ball yet, but the things he does extremely well are difficult to teach.

49. Shamorie Ponds, G, St. John’s | Junior

Height: 6’1” | Weight: 180 | Age: 20 | Last Rank: 50

Ponds’s ability to take over as a scorer and improved playmaking has been a big part of St. John’s resurgence this season, but his shooting has regressed a little bit in recent weeks and the Red Storm have fallen into the middle of the pack in the Big East. He is not physically imposing in any way, but has a good level of craft to his game and can score creatively. Still, his auxiliary counting stats are somewhat inflated by his heavy on-ball minutes and the lack of other passers on the roster. Ponds’s productivity and ability to create off the dribble will appeal to some teams, but it’s worth wondering how much his stats directly contribute to winning.

Thomas82
02-12-2019, 11:52 AM
I want either:

-Bol Bol
-Charles Bassey
-Daniel Gafford
-Jaxson Hayes

Or any combo of the 2 if possible .

duncan2150
02-12-2019, 12:30 PM
I want either:

-Bol Bol
-Charles Bassey
-Daniel Gafford
-Jaxson Hayes

Imo Bassey is the better one, it would be very interesting if we can draft him. All four are looking good with some concerns with bol bol health.

I don't think we'll draft two inside guys but maybe an sf and a pf/C.

slick'81
02-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Cant wait for that 30th pick

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-12-2019, 12:42 PM
I could see this being the year the Spurs try to bundle players and picks and move up in the draft.

cd021
02-12-2019, 01:06 PM
I could see this being the year the Spurs try to bundle players and picks and move up in the draft.

Forbes plus 19th pick to try and move up makes a lot of sense tbh.

Thomas82
02-12-2019, 01:17 PM
Imo Bassey is the better one, it would be very interesting if we can draft him. All four are looking good with some concerns with bol bol health.

I don't think we'll draft two inside guys but maybe an sf and a pf/C.

I don't see 2 inside guys either, but I would take a hard look at another one of these guys if they slide to the high 20's.

Thomas82
02-12-2019, 01:20 PM

It wouldn't surprise me.

R. DeMurre
02-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Agreed. At least one guard will be expendable. For a small splash, that's Forbes. For a big splash, it's DeRozan.

slick'81
02-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Forbes plus 19th pick to try and move up makes a lot of sense tbh.

except that wont happen because forbes wont move the needle enough

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2019, 01:34 PM
I want either:

-Bol Bol
-Charles Bassey
-Daniel Gafford
-Jaxson Hayes

Personally, I think Bol Bol could turn out to be a poor man's Greg Oden. I know he shoots 3's, but his foot injury is a serious worry. If the other teams don't weigh the foot too heavily, he won't fall low enough for the Spurs to draft him. If they are worried about it, the Spurs should probably worry too.

We all know that the Spurs aren't likely to do any draft day deals. But if they were to, I could see them trying to move up to pick De'Andre Hunter - IF he falls down to around 12-13. That's a lot of ifs, and I haven't really thought about what they would have to package to get the pick. But I think he's probably about as good as the Spurs could remotely hope to get this year, unless they pull the plug on this season and move up in the draft organically.

With their second rounder, I was thinking Max Strus, but he's been getting a lot of attention. If he finishes the season strong and looks good in the combine, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Spurs take him with the Rap's pick, then take John Petty with their second round pick.

[Edit]
Hunter is an excellent defender, and the kind of guy the Spurs are likely looking for. He could get court time next year. He's not flashy, but he's solid. Sounds like the Spurs to me.

Strus is exactly "Spurs material". He's a four-year guy who already earned a degree and is working on his masters. He's a "character" guy, a "glue" guy, and a leader. And his story coming out of high school isn't all that different from White. I'm telling you, he's a serious contender for the Spurs to pick. I don't think there's any way he falls to their second round slot now, because he's played too well. But I could see them throwing that Rap's pick at him anyway.

Petty has a shooting stroke. Think Bryn Forbes II. Just about what I expect the Spurs to do with the second rounder.

lmbebo
02-12-2019, 02:03 PM
what I've read of Bol Bol - he has to big question marks : Foot injury and motor. The 1st may heal and be ok. But he sounds lazy when he plays. Doesn't put effort in. Just used to getting played because he's tall and can shoot. Doesn't work for it. I wouldn't waist a pick on someone who already sounds lazy and entitled.

K...
02-12-2019, 02:19 PM
How the fuck do you get to a poor man's Greg oden? They can't get any poorer than a crap out number one pick in liue of picking first ballot Hall of Fame Durant.

ZeusWillJudge
02-12-2019, 02:25 PM
what I've read of Bol Bol - he has to big question marks : Foot injury and motor. The 1st may heal and be ok. But he sounds lazy when he plays. Doesn't put effort in. Just used to getting played because he's tall and can shoot. Doesn't work for it. I wouldn't waist a pick on someone who already sounds lazy and entitled.

Bol has skills. I just don't think his body will hold up.

His dad was a great man. Unlike all the virtue signaling posers in sports, Bol walked his talk. I haven't seen any reason to think he's entitled. I hope I'm wrong about him, and his body can stand the strain. And if he has a long NBA career, I hope he does as much good with his money as Manute. Besides, someone will take a chance on him long before the Spurs pick.

How the fuck do you get to a poor man's Greg oden? They can't get any poorer than a crap out number one pick in liue of picking first ballot Hall of Fame Durant.

"Poor man's" specifically because he WON'T be a number one pick. Look into the nature of his foot injury. It's serious - especially for a 7-3 guy who's built like a stork, and will be pounding up and down a hardwood floor for a living, and banging into guys with much heavier frames.

cd021
02-12-2019, 02:48 PM
except that wont happen because forbes wont move the needle enough

Disagree, he's cheap next season and has also proven himself as a player. I could see a team trading back several spots -still getting a good pick and adding a rotation player.

He should have more value than the 28th pick tbh.

BackHome
02-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Wanting nothing to do with Bol tired of drafting injury plagued players go healthy or go home. This draft is going to be crazy I see tons of trades being done a lot of teams are going to be moving in and out. At this point I don’t have a clue who will be first pick anything after 11 is a toss up the mock drafts are all over the board as far as what players goes where. I am still hoping we can fall a little lower maybe in the 12 to 16 range and maybe Raptors get the injury bug and fall into 24 to 27 range.

NASpurs
02-12-2019, 05:34 PM
Murray out injured. White out injured. Walker out injured. Sure let's draft Bol. What could possibly go wrong.

exstatic
02-12-2019, 05:44 PM
Murray out injured. White out injured. Walker out injured. Sure let's draft Bol. What could possibly go wrong.

Walker has a sprained ankle. White has PF. Neither of those is considered an injury red flag.

Murray tore his ACL. Nothing in a pre-draft evaluation would have spotted this on the horizon. It happens.

lmbebo
02-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Walker has a sprained ankle. White has PF. Neither of those is considered an injury red flag.

Murray tore his ACL. Nothing in a pre-draft evaluation would have spotted this on the horizon. It happens.

In sports, ACL injury is all about mechanism of injury, aka a pivot shift injury. Its a freak accident.

Thomas82
02-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Either way, I hope we go big with our first pick.

Drom John
02-13-2019, 01:57 PM
NESN: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: First-Round Predictions After Trade Deadline
by Joshua Schrock on Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 7:30AM

19. San Antonio Spurs — PJ Washington, F, Kentucky
Washington would be a good bet to take Dante Cunningham’s minutes and can develop into a solid player if his 3-point shot continues to develop.

28. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto Raptors) — Talen Horton-Tucker, G/F, Iowa State
Once you hit the late stages of the first round, teams are drafting on talent and potential and Horton-Tucker is full of that. The 6-foot-4, 238-pound freshman has shown a unique offensive skill set, showing the ability to attack off the dribble, make pull-up jumpers and be effective in transition.

smaka
02-14-2019, 06:15 AM
Watch out for the Spurs to draft Euro, Goga Bitadze. I've had that feeling for quite some time now, if he'll be available with our pick tho.

Bellboy
02-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Watch out for the Spurs to draft Euro, Goga Bitadze. I've had that feeling for quite some time now, if he'll be available with our pick tho.

:frying: Ssshhhhhuuusssshhhhh, I’m tired of the person we want in the draft, is always selected by the team picking in front of us. In current situation we need all the good breaks we can get.

duncan2150
02-14-2019, 10:00 AM

I did not saw him until this year and he looks pretty good, athletic, can shoot, block shots ..... i don't think i will be there with the raptors pick but he is a nice option.

Thomas82
02-14-2019, 12:53 PM
:frying: Ssshhhhhuuusssshhhhh, I’m tired of the person we want in the draft, is always selected by the team picking in front of us. In current situation we need all the good breaks we can get.

I've been sick of it since Nic Batum was stolen from us in 2008.

Russ
02-14-2019, 01:03 PM

Jaxson Hayes has a higher upside as a big man. Also, the Spurs already have Poeltl who is quite similar to Bitadze.

Indianman
02-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Jaxson Hayes has a higher upside as a big man. Also, the Spurs already have Poeltl who is quite similar to Bitadze.

Bitadze can shoot though, right?

Russ
02-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Bitadze can shoot though, right?

He gets a 7 (out of 10) for shooting from NBADraft.net. That's okay but not great.

For example, his highest rating is a 9 for rebounding.

Indianman
02-14-2019, 01:22 PM
He gets a 7 (out of 10) for shooting from NBADraft.net. That's okay but not great.

For example, his highest rating is a 9 for rebounding.

From the highlights he seems a better shooter than our man Poe.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Bitadze can shoot, indeed. He's not like Poeltl. Milutinov's game is much closer comparison to Poeltl's.

I don't think the Spurs would bring two more rookies next season, so a trade or draft and stash is very possible, but I'm not sure Bitadze makes that much sense, unless they have completely given up on being able to bring Milutinov over.

Russ
02-14-2019, 01:34 PM
From the highlights he seems a better shooter than our man Poe.

That could be (although highlights usually make shooters look good, i.e., they only show makes).

Indianman
02-14-2019, 02:01 PM
That could be (although highlights usually make shooters look good, i.e., they only show makes).

The stroke looks decent. Poeltl does not even shoot the ball, let alone making them.

Indianman
02-14-2019, 02:01 PM
Bitadze can shoot, indeed. He's not like Poeltl. Milutinov's game is much closer comparison to Poeltl's.

I don't think the Spurs would bring two more rookies next season, so a trade or draft and stash is very possible, but I'm not sure Bitadze makes that much sense, unless they have completely given up on being able to bring Milutinov over.

+1

keithington1
02-14-2019, 03:03 PM
My Spurs Big Board so far for the first pick:

1. Kevin Porter Jr.
2. Rui Hachimura
3. Jontay Porter
4. Sekou Doumbouya
5. Bol Bol

Here was my big board last year this time

1. Lonnie Walker
2. Mitchell Robinson
3. Anfernee Simons

ZeusWillJudge
02-14-2019, 03:07 PM

I think the Spurs do their best to buy Milutinov out this offseason and bring him over. I think he's interested, but it depends on who you talk to.

But I also think that one of the Spurs young guys has to be sacrificed as part of a trade (to get rid of a contract). That's one reason I think they will look at Strus, because he's mature enough and steady enough to get minutes his first year.

TheGreatYacht
02-14-2019, 03:12 PM
My Spurs Big Board so far for the first pick:

1. Kevin Porter Jr.
2. Rui Hachimura
3. Jontay Porter
4. Sekou Doumbouya
5. Bol Bol

Here was my big board last year this time

1. Lonnie Walker
2. Mitchell Robinson
3. Anfernee Simons
Why is Jontay Porter so high up on your list? His knee is mashed potatoes at this point. He wasn't impressive either imo

keithington1
02-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Why is Jontay Porter so high up on your list? His knee is mashed potatoes at this point. He wasn't impressive either imoI remember the Spurs were after him last year. He's just a Spurs type payer. His advanced stats (especially defense) are great, and he's just as good as his brother Kevin. LA and Rudy are getting older. He's muti-positional. Athletes nowadays come back from an ACL injuries faster and stronger. I might put him ahead of Rui because he has some Jokic in him.

Gordy58
02-14-2019, 03:58 PM
My board would look something like this (in no order)
1. PJ Washington
2. Bol Bol
3. Kevin Porter
4. Talen Horton-tucker
5. Louis King
6. KZ Okpala
7. Goga Bitadze
8. Ashton Hagans
9. Matisse Thybulle
10. Jontay Porter

smaka
02-14-2019, 04:27 PM
I did not saw him until this year and he looks pretty good, athletic, can shoot, block shots ..... i don't think i will be there with the raptors pick but he is a nice option.
He won't be there for the raptors pick, but I have doubts he will be there even with our own pick.. he is climbing in mock drafts faster since he started playing in euroleague.

They are not quite similar whatsoever, tbh.

duncan2150
02-14-2019, 04:45 PM
He won't be there for the raptors pick, but I have doubts he will be there even with our own pick.. he is climbing in mock drafts faster since he started playing in euroleague.

They are not quite similar whatsoever, tbh.

I agree that’s What i said, he can be There with our pick maybe.

Inside i really like him and bassey. Hayes is more of a project right now.

duncan2150
02-14-2019, 04:48 PM
y’a
My board would look something like this (in no order)
1. PJ Washington
2. Bol Bol
3. Kevin Porter
4. Talen Horton-tucker
5. Louis King
6. KZ Okpala
7. Goga Bitadze
8. Ashton Hagans
9. Matisse Thybulle
10. Jontay Porter

Okpala looks really good, Athletic wing with a lot of upside.

Thybulle is intriguing, a really good defender but he is more a 2nd round or late first imo.

Kevin porter is falling, i’m not a big fan right now.

Drom John
02-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Fansided: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: The dust clears from the NBA trade deadline
by Brendon Kleen 10 hours ago [AKA 14 February 2019]

Daniel Gafford
C, Arkansas
Arkansas

This pick comes to San Antonio by way of the Kawhi Leonard trade — drafting Gafford would give them an athletic, defensive rim-reaper to pair with the Spurs versatile guard rotation, breaking out this year in a big way.

Talen Horton-Tucker
F, Iowa State
Iowa State

It’s just not right for the Spurs not to have a player like Kyle Anderson around. In Horton-Tucker, San Antonio would find the heir to that throne — someone who is smart, versatile and can knock down shots.

Drom John
02-14-2019, 05:20 PM
GamblingSites.com: Pre-March Madness 2019 NBA Draft Mock – Predictions for Zion Williamson and the Top NCAA Prospects
By Noah Davis
Published on February 14, 2019

San Antonio Spurs – Tre Jones, PG, Duke

The Spurs could easily stand pat at the point guard position with Dejounte Murray (knee) set to return next year. They also have Derrick White, Patty Mills, and Bryn Forbes to work with, but depth doesn’t equate to a star.

I think they could get that in Tre Jones, who ultimately may be why you should bet on Duke to win it all during March Madness this year.
Jones is overshadowed by his three fellow NBA-bound teammates, but I actually love his talent.

Tre hasn’t really been given an opportunity to showcase what he can do offensively, but he’s a terrific ball handler with lead guard chops (5.6 assists per game) and a very fluid game. He’s also an extremely disruptive defender, giving whoever drafts him a fantastic two-way presence.

In time, Jones will evolve as a scorer and may end up being one of the biggest 2019 NBA Draft steals when it’s all said and done. San Antonio has always been big about landing diamonds in the rough, and Jones is at a position of arguable need. It’s a perfect marriage in my eyes.

San Antonio Spurs (from Raptors) – Goga Bitadze, C, Republic of Georgia

The Spurs strike again, this time returning to their old ways and plucking an elite NBA Draft prospect from overseas. Bitadze should honestly go much higher based on upside alone, as he has fantastic size and is incredibly skilled.

Nobody will confuse Bitadze with a seasoned veteran just yet, but he has immense shot-blocking upside and can really work the post as a scorer. The comparison to Nikola Jokic might be a bit much, but the mere thought of that being possible should have the Spurs and really everyone else in round one salivating.

San Antonio doesn’t have much to get excited about down low these days. Pau Gasol is ancient, and Jakob Poeltl isn’t a superstar in the making. Bitadze is a risk-free stab at a generational big man, and he’ll have time to develop with LaMarcus Aldridge still leading the charge for the Spurs.

Thomas82
02-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Fansided: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: The dust clears from the NBA trade deadline
by Brendon Kleen 10 hours ago [AKA 14 February 2019]

Gafford is one of the players on my list, so I would be happy with this.

Gordy58
02-14-2019, 07:20 PM
y’a

Okpala looks really good, Athletic wing with a lot of upside.

Thybulle is intriguing, a really good defender but he is more a 2nd round or late first imo.

Kevin porter is falling, i’m not a big fan right now.
I feel like Thybulle stock will go up after pre draft workouts. His steal and block rate for his size is insane. And he can hit the three ball. I wouldn’t mind taking him with the second first round pick.
I like porter, he reminds me somewhat of Oubre, raw and young. If he falls to us I would snatch him up right away.

duncan2150
02-14-2019, 07:41 PM
I feel the same about thybulle. Could be a decent late round option.

BackHome
02-15-2019, 11:18 AM
I would love to try and package some players to maybe get us some early late first or early second round picks ie. Forbes, Gasol, and Mills.

duncan2150
02-15-2019, 12:25 PM
With Murray return, we'll have a logjam at pg/sg positions. Imo one of Mills or Forbes could be traded, i don't think Mills with his contract and the staff love will leave but forbes has some value with his cheap contrat and can bring some outside touch to a team.

maybe he can make us clim a little bit.

After hesitating about having a true pg, i think the spurs will go inside in the draft and wing. No more Pg or ps/sg.

BackHome
02-15-2019, 01:54 PM
I don’t see a PG but I do see if a legit SG falls to us I would take him as right now we have:
1. Mills - One dimension player no defense
2. Forbes - See above
3. DEROZZ- Not a fit hopefully Spurs learn to cut their losses quicker ie KY
4. White - can play SG I like him though at PG
5. Walker - Injury prone if I can find better I would

exstatic
02-15-2019, 02:46 PM
The spurs set up a draft board every year, and they draft The highest remaining player on their board when
Their pick comes up. If it’s a PG this year, that’s who they’ll draft.

DesignatedT
02-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Spurs should try to trade up for Hachimura. Would be a perfect fit here. New age NBA big man who can eventually take LA's spot.

MoSpur02
02-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Spurs should try to trade up for Hachimura. Would be a perfect fit here. New age NBA big man who can eventually take LA's spot.

This.

Rui Huchimura is who I think would be a great draft pick.

Drom John
02-19-2019, 05:13 PM
FanSided: RipCityProject: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 3.0
by Jakob Ashlin 19 hours ago [aka 18 February 2019]

Luka Samanic
Power Forward O. Ljubljana
San Antonio Spurs

The San Antonio Spurs will receive this pick from the Toronto Raptors as part of the Kawhi Leonard trade that took place last summer.

Luka Samanic is an intriguing prospect. He has great quickness and solid shooting mechanics for a 6’11” big man. Samanic has also been able to beat defends off of the dribble, find open teammates with ease, and flashed some nice touch around the basket.

However, he has not been able to put all these pieces together. He is only shooting 22.2% from three in the Adriatic Liga this season. He can also be sloppy with the ball at times and it is fair to wonder if NBA level athleticism will take away some the quickness and vertical advantages that his game has been relying upon.

Samanic is a scary prospect, but he does a chance to be special if he can live up to his potential. With two first round picks, the Spurs can take a chance on Samanic and let him develop in Europe.

Brandon Clarke
Power Forward Gonzaga
San Antonio Spurs

Brandon Clarke would give the San Antonio Spurs a potentially elite rim protector. He is blocking 3.1 shots per game at Gonzaga. His vertical and defensive recognition project him to be an excellent interior defender in the NBA.

Offensively, Clarke is very interesting. He can handle the basketball and beat defenders off the dribble at times. He is also great at finishing inside. Clarke is still working on his jump shot, but unlike other rim protecting/lob finishing big men Clarke has shown shooting potential. His three-point percentage has risen each season, and he has made 4 out of his 11 three-point attempts. Clarke’s ball-handling ability and shooting potential signify a high scoring upside. Keep in mind, that he is averaging 16.8 points per game for the Bulldogs this season even though he is still developing offensively.

The Spurs will likely move on from Pau Gasol this offseason, and the athletic Clarke could be a nice complement to LaMarcus Aldridge and Jakob Poeltl.

Drom John
02-19-2019, 05:17 PM
LonzoWire: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: What if the Lakers landed a top three pick?
By: Jacob Rude | February 17, 2019 4:20 pm

19. San Antonio – Tre Jones, Guard, Duke

29. San Antonio (via Toronto) – Charles Bassey, Big, Western Kentucky

Drom John
02-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Amico Hoops: 2019 Mock Draft: Fifth installment, via lottery simulator
February 19, 2019
Sam Amico

19. San Antonio Spurs: Bol Bol, C, Oregon

29. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto): Deividas Sirvydis, SF, Lithuania

spurs50_
02-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Hope we don't screw this up......no shorties and no players with weird hairstyles.

Russ
02-19-2019, 08:41 PM
Hope we don't screw this up......no shorties and no players with weird hairstyles.

That would eliminate Forbes and White, two of our best young players.:depressed

MaNu4Tres
02-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Spurs need to steer clear from Cs. Its not worth the value of a 1st anymore unless they have an ELITE ceiling, or if theres a pressing need. There is not one right now in SA. LA, Poeltl, Milutinov, Eubanks, Metu(?)...and only 2 are going to play.

Given how teams now field 3 wings in lineups at the 4, 3, and the 2, there's a surplus of valuable big options at the center position.

Four to six years ago, teams utilized 5-6 spots on the roster to bigs because they occupied 2 spots in lineups. 120-150 jobs were available for bigs. Fast forward to 2019 and now teams utilize 2-3 spots on the roster to bigs -- which means all the bigs in the world are competing for only 60-90 jobs now.

Supply and demand. Theres now cheap/effective options everywhere you turn. Look at Thomas Bryant, and Zubac. Spurs should stop utilizing their best assets ( significant cap $, and 1sts) on role playing bigs. They can fill that back up 5 spot cheaply for the foreseeable future.

Use the 1sts on the highly valuable wings. There will always be valuable back up bigs to find on the fringe of rosters, in FA, are available via trade for cheap.

BackHome
02-20-2019, 01:56 AM
SG,SF, and PF

BackHome
02-20-2019, 01:59 AM
That would eliminate Forbes and White, two of our best young players.:depressed

Wait did you just say Forbes is one of our best players? Dark times are upon us my Spurs family :rolleyes

duncan2150
02-20-2019, 05:03 AM
Spurs need to steer clear from Cs. Its not worth the value of a 1st anymore unless they have an ELITE ceiling, or if theres a pressing need. There is not one right now in SA. LA, Poeltl, Milutinov, Eubanks, Metu(?)...and only 2 are going to play.

Given how teams now field 3 wings in lineups at the 4, 3, and the 2, there's a surplus of valuable big options at the center position.

Four to six years ago, teams utilized 5-6 spots on the roster to bigs because they occupied 2 spots in lineups. 120-150 jobs were available for bigs. Fast forward to 2019 and now teams utilize 2-3 spots on the roster to bigs -- which means all the bigs in the world are competing for only 60-90 jobs now.

Supply and demand. Theres now cheap/effective options everywhere you turn. Look at Thomas Bryant, and Zubac. Spurs should stop utilizing their best assets ( significant cap $, and 1sts) on role playing bigs. They can fill that back up 5 spot cheaply for the foreseeable future.

Use the 1sts on the highly valuable wings. There will always be valuable back up bigs to find on the fringe of rosters, in FA, are available via trade for cheap.

I agree with you but if the spurs can grab a good inside guy not a true C but a PF/ modern C like Bassey, Hayes, Gafford... do you let them pass ?

we need wings and a guy who can protect the rim so i will go with a SG/SF and a PF/C in this draft

MaNu4Tres
02-20-2019, 06:04 AM
I agree with you but if the spurs can grab a good inside guy not a true C but a PF/ modern C like Bassey, Hayes, Gafford... do you let them pass ?

we need wings and a guy who can protect the rim so i will go with a SG/SF and a PF/C in this draft

Id prefer and prioritize drafting a wing always with a 1st. So yes, Id let those guys pass.

MaNu4Tres
02-20-2019, 07:57 AM
SG,SF, and PF

Wing, Wing, Modern 4/Bigger wing

Russ
02-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Wait did you just say Forbes is one of our best players? Dark times are upon us my Spurs family :rolleyes

Not only is Forbes very good, he's very underappreciated (and getting better). :)

Twisted_Dawg
02-20-2019, 11:19 AM

Hopefully somebody sends your thread to Pop and Drunky

NASpurs
02-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Not only is Forbes very good, he's very underappreciated (and getting better). :)

Do you close your eyes when the Spurs are on defense?

jjktkk
02-20-2019, 11:43 AM
Id prefer and prioritize drafting a wing always with a 1st. We all know the priority for this team is a wing player, preferably a SF type, but you don't want to reach for a player either, just because of need for that position. Spurs also need a big. Hopefully PATFO can comes away with both this Summer.

exstatic
02-20-2019, 12:03 PM
We all know the priority for this team is a wing player, preferably a SF type, but you don't want to reach for a player either, just because of need for that position. Spurs also need a big. Hopefully PATFO can comes away with both this Summer.

Spurs don't ever do that. They grade out the top 60 players, and when their pick comes, they pick the highest rated player on the board. People's heads will explode if they pick another guard, but that's why, if they do.

duncan2150
02-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Spurs don't ever do that. They grade out the top 60 players, and when their pick comes, they pick the highest rated player on the board. People's heads will explode if they pick another guard, but that's why, if they do.

that's not a problem even if we have a lot of guards, they will just have to trade some of our guards. But in this draft i don't see a lot of pg or pg/sg who could be really interesting :

Except Morant, you have Garland , Tre Jones maybe Coby White or Hagans but there is more SG/SF SF/PF or PF/C.

exstatic
02-20-2019, 04:58 PM
that's not a problem even if we have a lot of guards, they will just have to trade some of our guards. But in this draft i don't see a lot of pg or pg/sg who could be really interesting :

Except Morant, you have Garland , Tre Jones maybe Coby White or Hagans but there is more SG/SF SF/PF or PF/C.

Exactly. You develop your best young players, and then you have excess to flip for that position of need, instead of reaching for a longshot in the draft. You get a more or less proven product.

Thomas82
02-20-2019, 05:14 PM

If one of those bigs are available, I most definitely would grab one of them.

Old School 44
02-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Just curious, in recent years have the Spurs picked the player most "draft experts" have predicted they would pick?

exstatic
02-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Just curious, in recent years have the Spurs picked the player most "draft experts" have predicted they would pick?

Doubtful. They almost always skew for need, not BPA.

look_at_g_shred
02-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Doubtful. They almost always skew for need, not BPA.
Honest question, do you think the spurs' necessity right now is the heir to LMA or an SF?

Drom John
02-21-2019, 11:03 AM
nj.com: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Who goes No. 2 to Knicks behind Duke's Zion Williamson? Ja Morant, R.J. Barrett or Cameron Reddish?
By Zack Rosenblatt | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com | Posted February 21, 2019 at 05:30 AM | Updated February 21, 2019 at 07:02 AM

29. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): PG Jaylen Nowell, Washington

Nowell is having a stellar season for the Huskies and while the Spurs have a couple of talented guards, Dejounte Murray is coming off a serious injury and it can't hurt to invest in point guards.

19. San Antonio Spurs: PF P.J. Washington, Kentucky

Washington has all the physical tools to be a standout defensive player and rebounder in the NBA, and he's developed into a solid outside shooter in his second Kentucky season.

Drom John
02-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Heavy: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Zion Williamson & RJ Barrett Go Back to Back
Jonathan Adams Updated Feb 20, 2019 at 6:00pm

No. 19 Spurs C Bol Bol, Oregon

No. 29 Spurs (via Raptors) F Jalen McDaniels, San Diego State

Drom John
02-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Fansided: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: The Boston Celtics clean up
by Brendon Kleen 4 hours ago [AKA 21 February 2019]

Admiral Schofield
G/F, Tennessee
Tennessee

This pick comes the Spurs’ way as a result of the Kawhi Leonard trade, and Schofield fits perfectly with the core of young guards (Derrick White, Dejounte Murray and Lonnie Walker IV) San Antonio has brought in. Schofield’s neverending effort was noticeable even in a loss Saturday at Kentucky, as the versatile wing defended everyone from Keldon Johnson to P.J. Washington to Reid Travis over the course of the game. He had multiple deflections on interior passes to the Wildcats’ bigs and flashed a broader skill set than when I saw him in person in December, coming off pin-downs inside the arc as well as playmaking in a two-man game with teammate Grant Williams that worked nicely several times.

Brandon Clarke
F/C, Gonzaga
Gonzaga

On Saturday night against San Diego, Clarke flashed the effort and intelligence that makes him so special. On one fast break in the first half, Clarke, an incredible athlete in his own right, caught a pass near the free throw line and immediately tipped it open to a teammate cutting baseline for an easy dunk. It was a small play that encapsulated Clarke’s willingness to play the right way and why he would fit so nicely with the Spurs.

exstatic
02-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Honest question, do you think the spurs' necessity right now is the heir to LMA or an SF?

I think they need talent, young talent. They have some, but they're going to likely roll off Pau, and Pon-ningham. I think Metu is years away. He was a second round flyer, and he may never develop. I think they need to scour the FA market for castoffs. They've done well there, before. I think Milutinov is going to be a good NBA player.

Drom John
02-21-2019, 04:35 PM
Def Pen: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Prospects Impress Heading Towards the Final Stretch of the Season
February 21, 2019 11 minute read Gabe Esquivel

19. San Antonio Spurs
Jordan Poole: Wing- Michigan

Poole is a dynamic offensive player who oozes high-level potential. The long, lanky 6-foot-4 sophomore is shooting over 40 percent from deep and has begun showing more consistency in his ability to create his own offense. Poole’s long frame and functional athleticism also signal a tantalizing defensive ceiling under the proper tutelage. Poole has much upside as anyone left at this stage of the draft, but it will depend on his IQ development as well as his consistency.

29. San Antonio Spurs (Via Toronto Raptors)
Admiral Schofield: Combo Forward- Tennessee

Tennessee’s standout senior Admiral Schofield is the ideal high-floor type of player that teams want in the late first round. Schofield provides quality floor spacing, the ability to straight line drive strongly, and switchable defense. 6-foot-6 and ripped, Schofield has a body that even NBA players would envy. Given his age and skill set, his ceiling isn’t terribly high. However, Schofield could be a valuable contributor as a role player for a long time

Thomas82
02-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Def Pen: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Prospects Impress Heading Towards the Final Stretch of the Season
February 21, 2019 11 minute read Gabe Esquivel

If this is what we do with our 2 picks I would really be disappointed. IMO, we need a PF or C and a SF.

exstatic
02-21-2019, 06:20 PM
If this is what we do with our 2 picks I would really be disappointed. IMO, we need a PF or C and a SF.

Spurs never draft for need. Say all players are graded 0-100. There is a SF available late in the first with a grade of 78, and a PG available with a grade of 82. They're taking the PG every time. The actually set up a full draft board with 60 players, one per draft slot. When a pick comes up for them, they simply select the best player left on their board. If you have an excess of guards, you can always trade for a NBA tested, proven SF, rather than selecting a player less likely to develop, because you need someone at that position.

Thomas82
02-21-2019, 07:06 PM
Spurs never draft for need. Say all players are graded 0-100. There is a SF available late in the first with a grade of 78, and a PG available with a grade of 82. They're taking the PG every time. The actually set up a full draft board with 60 players, one per draft slot. When a pick comes up for them, they simply select the best player left on their board. If you have an excess of guards, you can always trade for a NBA tested, proven SF, rather than selecting a player less likely to develop, because you need someone at that position.

I just hope it doesn't end with us taking another guard this year.

TD 21
02-21-2019, 07:38 PM

Yeah. Somehow, there's still a segment of Spurs fans who still think this team needs a big though.

Obviously still far too early to make anything close to definitive draft predictions, but getting a genuine wing with the original pick is not looking great at the moment. What's worse, they have a known affinity for Porter, who projects to be in that range and will probably stay in it given that he's out for the season and can't affect his stock.

Hunter is probably out of reach in terms of packaging the 2 picks for, but they should offer it anyway. If/when it fails, include Forbes (at that point, a minor asset should be coming back, like a 2nd of some sort).

They already have decent depth of young talent. I'd rather get the rare commodity and one who could potentially fill the gaping hole than have Porter, some lesser wing prospect who's lacking in at least one crucial area and Forbes.

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2019, 09:54 PM
looking back, spurs shouldve made a deal with the clippers for that 14+15th pick + harris + filler

instead of having ddr who now looks like a fkn used by date product

MaNu4Tres
02-22-2019, 12:13 AM
Yeah. Somehow, there's still a segment of Spurs fans who still think this team needs a big though.

Obviously still far too early to make anything close to definitive draft predictions, but getting a genuine wing with the original pick is not looking great at the moment. What's worse, they have a known affinity for Porter, who projects to be in that range and will probably stay in it given that he's out for the season and can't affect his stock.

Hunter is probably out of reach in terms of packaging the 2 picks for, but they should offer it anyway. If/when it fails, include Forbes (at that point, a minor asset should be coming back, like a 2nd of some sort).

They already have decent depth of young talent. I'd rather get the rare commodity and one who could potentially fill the gaping hole than have Porter, some lesser wing prospect who's lacking in at least one crucial area and Forbes.

Im in for trading both picks + Poeltl or Forbes to move up for the right wing.

They need to draft a good two way wing with length desperately -- if that means trading up do it.

If not, there are under the radar wings that should be available where theyre slotted to pick from at 17-19 and 28-29.

alpha_HaZE
02-22-2019, 12:59 AM
looking back, spurs shouldve made a deal with the clippers for that 14+15th pick + harris + filler

instead of having ddr who now looks like a fkn used by date product

hindsight is 20/20, so that's a dummy comment.

Drom John
02-22-2019, 03:02 PM
CBS Sports: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Zion Williamson still an easy pick to take at No. 1 even after knee injury
Williamson doesn't slip in the latest mock draft and goes to the Suns at No. 1
by Kyle Boone 2 hrs ago [AKA 22 February 2019]

team logo
Spurs

KZ Okpala | Stanford | Soph | SF | 6-9

Long, young and athletic, KZ Okpala's an intriguing wing prospect whose shot-making has improved drastically with the Cardinal in his second season. He's not quite ready to make a massive impact in the NBA -- he's only one season removed from struggling a bit overall at the college level as a scorer/decision-maker -- but at 19 the Spurs are as qualified as any to turn his prospects into peak potential.

team logo
Spurs

Daniel Gafford | Arkansas | Soph | C | 6-11

Pick via Toronto: Davis Bertans' coupling with LaMarcus Aldridge has been really good for the Spurs' frontcourt this season, but they draft a reliable backup for both at 28 by nabbing Arkansas big Daniel Gafford. Gafford isn't the scoring center Aldridge is -- at least not yet -- but he brings some unreal athleticism and energy to the table that San Antonio could put to use. The Spurs could view him as a developmental piece with tremendous upside; he just turned 20, and is already one of the top big men prospects in the SEC.

duncan2150
02-22-2019, 04:27 PM

I really think the spurs need a rim protector but i agree the real need is a wing and you can have an energic big via free agency.

As manutres said we can package our first To go higher but i prefer To give a pick and a player like forbes To move up( maybe that’s Not enough).

I’m not that high on Hunter, i like him but if we could trade up i’m more with guys like keldon Johnson, okpala ,little, culver, langford or Alexander... some of them are more sg than sf.

ceperez
02-22-2019, 05:10 PM
Spurs drafting has been suspect ever since Presti left the organization.

The one coup was Kawhi Leonard.

Recent years however have been a head scratcher consider Spurs haven't been creative in who they picked.

Milutinov was obviously a draft and stash considering there was no room in the roster. However, Hernangomez was also on the board and Norman Powell (Raptors) was a complete miss.
Murray in 2016 was the best guard and we needed to replace an aging Tony Parker. We missed however the Spurs like player in Brogdon.
White in 2017 was a coup. I don't think many expected White to be a first round pick. Interesting though that another guard was picked!
Then there's 2018 with Walker... yet another guard! Missing out on International gem like Kurucs

Anyway, 3 straight guards and the verdict is still out if Walker IV can be servicable.

Spurs in general do draft better than most teams, which should give us all hope.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2019, 05:19 PM
Spurs drafting has been suspect ever since Presti left the organization.

The one coup was Kawhi Leonard.

Recent years however have been a head scratcher consider Spurs haven't been creative in who they picked.

Milutinov was obviously a draft and stash considering there was no room in the roster. However, Hernangomez was also on the board and Norman Powell (Raptors) was a complete miss.
Murray in 2016 was the best guard and we needed to replace an aging Tony Parker. We missed however the Spurs like player in Brogdon.
White in 2017 was a coup. I don't think many expected White to be a first round pick. Interesting though that another guard was picked!
Then there's 2018 with Walker... yet another guard! Missing out on International gem like Kurucs

Anyway, 3 straight guards and the verdict is still out if Walker IV can be servicable.

Spurs in general do draft better than most teams, which should give us all hope.

Also known as plan B.

ceperez
02-22-2019, 05:27 PM
The Walker IV draft remains a head scratcher. Spurs already had a 2nd team defensive player in Murray. They already had enough exposure with White to know if he had any value. So why another guard at #18? The pickings were that slim?

The only non-guard in the draft after #18 was #25 Wagner? #27 Williams? #30 Spellman? I guess Spurs had no choice but to get the best guard that was available!

Should tell you how slim the picking are in a typical draft.

ceperez
02-22-2019, 05:39 PM
Heavy: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Zion Williamson & RJ Barrett Go Back to Back
Jonathan Adams Updated Feb 20, 2019 at 6:00pm

It's entirely possible that Bol Bol falls into the spurs lap due to his injury.

r0drig0lac
02-22-2019, 05:40 PM
I really hope they pick the best wings available, it would be disappointing if they went to another guard

BackHome
02-22-2019, 05:45 PM
Bol Bol I think will be a Paul II.

TD 21
02-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Im in for trading both picks + Poeltl or Forbes to move up for the right wing.

They need to draft a good two way wing with length desperately -- if that means trading up do it.

If not, there are under the radar wings that should be available where theyre slotted to pick from at 17-19 and 28-29.

Hunter is the only right wing to where those assets could feasibly get it done.

Yeah, but none theoretically check all the boxes like he does. Few do.

I really think the spurs need a rim protector but i agree the real need is a wing and you can have an energic big via free agency.

As manutres said we can package our first To go higher but i prefer To give a pick and a player like forbes To move up( maybe that’s Not enough).

I’m not that high on Hunter, i like him but if we could trade up i’m more with guys like keldon Johnson, okpala ,little, culver, langford or Alexander... some of them are more sg than sf.

Aldridge and Poeltl are both solid, Spurs fans are just used to having more of a shot blocker and all-time ones at that.

I'm not going to pretend to have much of a feel for who's going to be best out of that group, but all of them are lacking in at least one crucial area.

Chinook
02-23-2019, 02:46 AM
You don't draft for need. I know it may seem like the Spurs weren't able to acquire good young forwards this year, but the reality is that they didn't even try. This isn't a situation where the team has been cycling through guys like Jeffers, DeSean Butler and Sam Young. I think we'd all love for RC to pick forward versions of White and Murray or the next Kawhi. But the Spurs need to get talent with their picks, not fit. You totally draft a center if that's the best guy there. You aren't drafting him to fill a hole this year; you're drafting him for the next four to nine years. LMA has one more guaranteed year left. Poeltl is expiring next season. Milutinov wants way too much money for who he's projecting to be in the NBA. None of those guys is stopping me from drafting a center if I believe that center will be the best player among those available. There will be a number of forwards with intriguing potential in the late-first and second anyway.

duncan2150
02-23-2019, 05:20 AM
Agreed and i prefer To keep both pick unless it give us a top 10 pick and even that is questionnable.

Imo this draft except the top 3-5 is really balanced, with a lot of interesting players.

tbdog
02-23-2019, 05:54 AM
The Walker IV draft remains a head scratcher. Spurs already had a 2nd team defensive player in Murray. They already had enough exposure with White to know if he had any value. So why another guard at #18? The pickings were that slim?

The only non-guard in the draft after #18 was #25 Wagner? #27 Williams? #30 Spellman? I guess Spurs had no choice but to get the best guard that was available!

Walker was set to go higher, like around 12 or 13. I think the Spurs were very high on him and still draft him if they had those clippers picks. He is young. Drafted at age 19. We have seen glimpses how talented he can be. And players like that take 3 years to get going.

exstatic
02-23-2019, 06:40 AM
Walker was set to go higher, like around 12 or 13. I think the Spurs were very high on him and still draft him if they had those clippers picks. He is young. Drafted at age 19. We have seen glimpses how talented he can be. And players like that take 3 years to get going.

Word is that SA had LW IV in the top 10 on their draft board. Chinook also brought up a great point. The pick likely won’t play next year anyway, so why draft for need?

dbestpro
02-23-2019, 07:22 AM
I know that it is always said the Spurs never draft for need, but there never has been a greater need at particular positions since the drafting of Duncan.

acoelho1
02-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Drafting for need and talent go hand in hand. In the Leonard draft, PAFTO admitted the need of defensive wing and thought Kawhi could become that player even with his offensive limitations. There was probably no one else they really liked if they stayed put so they took a guy with exceptional physical tools and work ethic. I think the same goes in this draft in that we need to come out of this draft with a strong defensive wing or big (Capela type). However, it doesn't mean they will pass on a talent they have high on their board just to fill a need but I think it's a very low probability that we come out of this draft with another small guard. Just my 2 cents.

ZeusWillJudge
02-23-2019, 12:25 PM

They could have taken Kevin Huerter. Also a guard, but he's having a pretty respectable rookie season. I would have enjoyed the meltdowns if the Spurs had taken a short Matt Bonner.

exstatic
02-23-2019, 05:18 PM
I know that it is always said the Spurs never draft for need, but there never has been a greater need at particular positions since the drafting of Duncan.

David Robinson, C San Antonio Spurs

Tim Duncan, C Wake Forest

See how that works? The media were SURE that we’d trade the pick, since we already had a center. Luckily, the Spurs drafted best available.

TD 21
02-23-2019, 05:31 PM

See how that works? The media were SURE that we’d trade the pick, since we already had a center. Luckily, the Spurs drafted best available.

:lmao At using no brainer, all-time talents as an example.

Of course you pick the best talent available when it's not close, but where they're likely to be picking, there's probably not going to be much separating who's available. In that case, you absolutely pick for need, especially when it's far and away the most coveted property in today's game and almost impossible to acquire (unless a certain scumbag and senile front office conspire to create one of the most inexplicable trades in history).

You either grown your own or get stuck in the situation the geniuses put them in, where you're either looking at flyers for flawed options, some of whom would cost solid assets or likely overpaying aging, breaking down types . . . maybe they can spend another season begging a post prime Matthews to sign as a buyout option or having Mills defend scumbag.

Russ
02-23-2019, 05:39 PM

Orlando went the opposite way -- tried to assemble a team based upon needs rather than taking the best player.

They had the No. 1 pick in 1992 (Shaq) then had the No. 1 the next year (through sheer luck) -- the best player was Chris Webber but they already had a big (Shaq).

So they traded down and got Penny Hardaway --- the PG they thought they needed.

The rest is history. No titles in Orlando despite having Shaq gifted to them plus the No. 1 pick the next year.

BackHome
02-24-2019, 12:32 AM

Umm I don’t remember anyone ever saying we NOT drafting Timmy

MaNu4Tres
02-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Drafting for need and talent go hand in hand. In the Leonard draft, PAFTO admitted the need of defensive wing and thought Kawhi could become that player even with his offensive limitations. There was probably no one else they really liked if they stayed put so they took a guy with exceptional physical tools and work ethic. I think the same goes in this draft in that we need to come out of this draft with a strong defensive wing or big (Capela type). However, it doesn't mean they will pass on a talent they have high on their board just to fill a need but I think it's a very low probability that we come out of this draft with another small guard. Just my 2 cents.

Its not about drafting for need.

Its always about drafting for the best value and theres several ways to depict value.

Its a fact that wings carry a lot more value than bigs with the way the modern game is played.

Bigs only occupy two spots in rotations now. On the other hand, wings occupy six to seven .

Theres a surplus of bigs available now to pick up off the street, or to trade minimum assets for to fulfill a role. Look at Thomas Bryant, Faried, Zubac this year for instance.

Theres about double the amount of value drafting a wing over a big, just based off supply and demand principles. And with SA, LMA is in the plans long term -- yes he has an options after next season. But that means little.

Drom John
02-26-2019, 02:56 PM
Basketball Insiders: NBA Daily: 60-Pick NBA Mock Draft 2/26/2019
With less than 25 games remaining for most NBA teams, Steve Kyler takes another look at the 2019 NBA Draft class in this 60-pick Mock Draft.
Steve Kyler, February 26, 2019

Chuma Okeke
San Antonio Spurs

AuburnSophmore
Height: 6' 8
Position: SF/PF
Weight: 235

Charles Bassey
San Antonio Spurs

Western KentuckyFreshman
Height: 6' 10
Position: C
Weight: 245

Brian Bowen
San Antonio Spurs

Sydney Kings International
Height: 6' 7
Position: SF
Weight: 200

Drom John
02-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Chat Sports: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Zion Williamson Goes #1, RJ Barrett, Ja Morant In Top 5 (First Edition)
By Mitchell Renz February 26, 2019

#18 Sekou Doumbouya

#29 Charles Bassey

Thomas82
02-26-2019, 05:11 PM
Chat Sports: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Zion Williamson Goes #1, RJ Barrett, Ja Morant In Top 5 (First Edition)
By Mitchell Renz February 26, 2019

#18 Sekou Doumbouya

#29 Charles Bassey

I would be good with this one.

look_at_g_shred
02-27-2019, 10:46 AM
I don't watch much college but what's the deal with Sekou? Why is he falling so far? At one point he was projected top 10.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-27-2019, 10:55 AM
Would be happy with one of Okpala, Kevin Porter or Hachimura.

GusT15
02-27-2019, 11:29 AM
I don't watch much college but what's the deal with Sekou? Why is he falling so far? At one point he was projected top 10.

Sekou is playing in France,he is not in college.

He is falling in mock drafts cause his game hasn't developed much the last couple of years.

He is still a project obviously but i dunno if he is worth the risk at 14-18.At 29 i say,sure,give it a shot.

BackHome
02-27-2019, 12:55 PM
He is falling cause he had to have surgery to fix ligament in his thumb.

duncan2150
02-27-2019, 01:08 PM
And he's still very youg, just turn 18 and it's not easy to play in french league for young guys. There are a lot of guys with experience....

Imo he has a very good potentiel, for him and a lot of prospect all could change during workouts

SpursDynasty85
02-27-2019, 01:46 PM
Orlando went the opposite way -- tried to assemble a team based upon needs rather than taking the best player.

They had the No. 1 pick in 1992 (Shaq) then had the No. 1 the next year (through sheer luck) -- the best player was Chris Webber but they already had a big (Shaq).

The rest is history. No titles in Orlando despite having Shaq gifted to them plus the No. 1 pick the next year.

Young Penny was better than young Webber. At their aboslute primes, Webber definitely got the edge but wasn't as good until he had the right team at Sacramento. Both are not that far off. I think where Orlando failed is Grant Hill's injury and not retaining Shaq if they could've but that is still out in the open on whether they had the money to.

Drom John
02-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Yahoo! Sports: NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Zion Williamson to go No. 1, R.J. Barrett No. 4
Rob Dauster
NBC Sports•Feb 27, 2019, 8:55 AM

Seemingly not team related.

18. COBY WHITE, North Carolina

I’ve come around on White, but I’m not sure that I few him as a point guard the way some other do. He’s a 6-foot-5 combo-guard that just turned 19 this week, and what has be on the bandwagon is that he’s just such a ridiculous shot-maker. You’re not drafting White to be the cornerstone point guard you grow a franchise around, you’re drafting him because you hope that he one day turns into Jamal Crawford 2.0.

28. JALEN MCDANIELS, San Diego State

After a weird start to the season, McDaniels has settled in as the best player in the Mountain West that does not currently call Reno home. At 6-foot-10, he has a ton of skill and has proven to be a productive rebounder and a better defender than you would think out of a player that is a gangly 195 pounds. For me, everything here centers around the jump shot. I don’t think he’ll ever be mobile, fluid or explosive enough to be a three in the NBA and barring the kind of weight gain that I’ve made since leaving college, I can’t see him being a five, even the small-ball variety. He’s certainly worth a late first round pick if you’re betting you can improve on that 33.3 percent three-point shooting.

It’s also worth mentioning: McDaniels currently has a legal issue hanging over his head that, if true, is pretty disturbing and the kind of thing that could make him fall on draft night.

sasaint
02-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Yahoo! Sports: NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Zion Williamson to go No. 1, R.J. Barrett No. 4
Rob Dauster
NBC Sports•Feb 27, 2019, 8:55 AM

Seemingly not team related.

No. PATFO will never draft a guy with a "pretty disturbing" legal issue hanging over his head.

ceperez
02-27-2019, 03:40 PM
There's a high likelihood that Bol Bol will fall into the Spurs laps in the draft.

Is here worth the gamble?

Thomas82
02-27-2019, 04:21 PM
There's a high likelihood that Bol Bol will fall into the Spurs laps in the draft.

Is here worth the gamble?

He is in my opinion, but I would also be happy with Jaxson Hayes, Charles Bassey, or Daniel Gafford.

Drom John
02-28-2019, 11:52 AM
Sports Illustrated: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 4.0: Ja Morant to Knicks, Jarrett Culver Jumps Into Top Five
By Jeremy Woo February 28, 2019

8.San Antonio Spurs Spurs: Bruno Fernando, C, Maryland

Height: 6’10” | Weight: 235 | Sophomore | Last: 17

San Antonio’s frontline could certainly use an injection of youth and athleticism, and Fernando, who has become one of the most dynamic rim-runners in college hoops, might fit the bill. He’s taken a major step forward as a sophomore and has evolved from project to someone who might be able to contribute minutes early on based on his consistent effort level and high-end tools. Fernando’s feel and skill level are both still developing, but the Spurs could provide a strong situation for him to develop, and cultivate him as a potential replacement for Pau Gasol. They might be able to get more out of him as a shooter and ball-screen option, as well.

29.San Antonio Spurs Spurs (via Raptors): Tre Jones, PG, Duke

Height: 6’2” | Weight: 185 | Freshman | Last: 27

It’s clear now that most of Jones’ value is going to come on the defensive end, where he has been terrific. If you believe you can help fix his jump shot, then he’s worth a pick in this range. The Spurs could be a good landing spot here, with their emphasis on player development and history of helping players improve their shooting. Jones would give them a different, defensive-minded dimension off the bench, and if his shot comes around, he should be able to stick. But there’s risk involved here if he’s an offensive zero.

Drom John
02-28-2019, 11:55 AM
TheBigLead: 2019 NBA Mock Draft Version 1.0: Zion Williamson Still No. 1? Cam Reddish Slipping?
By: Vik Chokshi | 2 hours ago [AKA 28 February 2019]

18. San Antonio Spurs: PJ Washington, PF, Kentucky – San Antonio would be a great fit for Washington, who could learn from LaMarcus Aldridge. LMA, who is turning 34 soon, could groom his potential successor. Washington has a high motor, nice hands and post game, and has shown shooting touch this season.

29. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): Coby White, PG/ SG, North Carolina – White is a 6’5″ combo guard who can shoot. There is always a need for players like him in the league.

Drom John
02-28-2019, 11:58 AM
FanSided: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Fallout from Zion Williamson’s injury gives others a chance to shine
by Brendon Kleen 5 hours ago [AKA 28 February 2019]

Daniel Gafford
C, Arkansas
Arkansas

This pick comes by way of Toronto as a result of the Kawhi Leonard trade. Drafting Gafford would give San Antonio an athletic, two-way big to pair with its budding young backcourt.

Jontay Porter
C, Missouri
Missouri

Porter, a young second-year college player who has gotten better in a hurry over the past few years, would be a fantastic student of the game under San Antonio’s renowned coaching staff. He is recovering from a knee injury but is expected to make a full recovery.

sasaint
02-28-2019, 12:04 PM
FanSided: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Fallout from Zion Williamson’s injury gives others a chance to shine
by Brendon Kleen 5 hours ago [AKA 28 February 2019]

I hope TheBigLead and FanSided are wrong. But it would be just like the Spurs to draft 2 centers or a C and G and fail to address the glaring hole at SF.

lebomb
02-28-2019, 12:52 PM

Thats NOT what killed Orlando. Dennis Scott botching 4 free throws to end a series is what doomed that franchise. Orlando should have won a couple of titles at least.

Drom John
02-28-2019, 01:07 PM
Bleacher Report: 2019 NBA Draft: Updated Big Board Entering March
Jonathan Wasserman
February 28, 2019

Not team specific

48. John Konchar (Purdue-Fort Wayne, SG, Senior)

Averaging 19.6 points, 8.3 rebounds and 5.5 assists, Konchar could be a second-round draw for his versatility working as a pick-and-roll ball-handler and spot-up shooter. He's improved as a finisher around the basket since last year (58.5 percent to 66.2 percent), a noteworthy development given his lack of explosion.

29. Nassir Little (North Carolina, SF/PF, Freshman)

Little has played promising stretches lately, but none impressive or long enough to upgrade his overall evaluation. His physical profile is tremendous when you consider his strength, length and athleticism. And even without skill, he's been a threat to face up against 4s and score at the rim. Little's limited creation and feel for the game are problematic, however. Potential and room to improve still exist, but betting on it means betting on a major transformation.

18. Romeo Langford (Indiana, SG, Freshman)

Langford's 22 points and game-winner against Wisconsin on Tuesday represented the highlight of his season. He carried the Hoosiers (5-12 Big Ten play) to a win, working as the clear top option. For a 6'6" guard, he's consistently slashing through defenses, ranking in the 95th percentile in ball-screen drives to the basket and the 90th percentile on isolation drives. His shooting (27.3 percent from three) and mechanics remain the largest concern, particularly given his limited playmaking. Langford's casual approach and shaky defensive concentration are also reasons to question whether he can develop into anything more than a mid-level starter.

ZeusWillJudge
02-28-2019, 01:17 PM
TheBigLead: 2019 NBA Mock Draft Version 1.0: Zion Williamson Still No. 1? Cam Reddish Slipping?
By: Vik Chokshi | 2 hours ago [AKA 28 February 2019]

Coby White is going to get stripped like the carcass of a Thanksgiving turkey, against NBA defenders.

Prime BEEF
02-28-2019, 07:51 PM
Thats NOT what killed Orlando. Dennis Scott botching 4 free throws to end a series is what doomed that franchise. Orlando should have won a couple of titles at least.

Nick Anderson

TDMVPDPOY
02-28-2019, 09:12 PM
so who is best on the austin team to be promoted to spurs main roster?

then u remove the vets, replace through draft...still playoff team?

BackHome
02-28-2019, 10:22 PM
Offense: Walker, Eubanks
Defense: Ben Moore, Huestis
Both: Eubanks

Drom John
03-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Business Insider:
The top 30 prospects in the 2019 NBA Draft
Scott Davis
4m [AKA 1 March 2019]

Not team specific

18. Jontay Porter, F
18. Jontay Porter, F Andy Lyons/Getty Images

School: Mizzou

One thing to know: From Vecenie: "Porter is out with a torn ACL suffered in the preseason, but his stock hasn't really taken a hit among NBA executives. He's still seen as an extremely interesting offensive prospect with a terrific feel for the game."

29. Eric Paschall, F
29. Eric Paschall, F Andy Lyons/Getty Images

School: Villanova

One thing to know: From Boone: "He's developed a trustworthy shot at Villanova, shooting 37.4 percent from 3-point range this season, and he's a big body who wields it well to carve out space for rebounds."

Drom John
03-01-2019, 12:06 PM
nj.com: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Who goes No. 2 to Knicks behind Duke's Zion Williamson? Ja Morant, R.J. Barrett or Cameron Reddish?
By Zack Rosenblatt | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com | Posted February 28, 2019 at 07:18 AM | Updated February 28, 2019 at 07:22 AM

29. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): PG Jaylen Nowell, Washington

Nowell is having a stellar season for the Huskies and while the Spurs have a couple of talented guards, Dejounte Murray is coming off a serious injury and it can't hurt to invest in point guards.

19. San Antonio Spurs: PF P.J. Washington, Kentucky

Washington has all the physical tools to be a standout defensive player and rebounder in the NBA, and he's developed into a solid outside shooter in his second Kentucky season.

exstatic
03-01-2019, 01:57 PM
I'm seeing a couple of names popping up multiple times: PJ Washington, Jontay Porter, and Coby White

ace3g
03-03-2019, 04:23 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1102307838443966464

Thomas82
03-03-2019, 06:30 PM
I'm seeing a couple of names popping up multiple times: PJ Washington, Jontay Porter, and Coby White

I wouldn't want any of them.

ZeusWillJudge
03-03-2019, 07:08 PM
Looking forward to getting an updated look at Washington wing defender Matisse Thybule. Elite physical tools with tremendous defensive instincts. The 6-6, 21-year-old is averaging 3.4 STL and 2.3 BLK per game in 30.3 MIN.

That's an excellent post. Thybulle has to be a serious contender for the Spurs to draft. He moves the needle on defense without question, IMO. I'm having a hard time seeing the Spurs picking a freshman or sophomore prospect, other than the ones that won't fall far enough for them to get to. Thybulle has defensive skills to contribute in his rookie season. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear his name called.

ceperez
03-03-2019, 07:31 PM
That's an excellent post. Thybulle has to be a serious contender for the Spurs to draft. He moves the needle on defense without question, IMO. I'm having a hard time seeing the Spurs picking a freshman or sophomore prospect, other than the ones that won't fall far enough for them to get to. Thybulle has defensive skills to contribute in his rookie season. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear his name called.

Like Money Ball, there is an inefficiency in the NBA about not picking juniors and seniors in the draft.

This is despite the reality that the NBA game has become some complex that it takes a couple years to figure it out.

So what happens to these one and done players? They never get to learn fast enough and become free agents before they are any good.

ZeusWillJudge
03-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Like Money Ball, there is an inefficiency in the NBA about not picking juniors and seniors in the draft.

This is despite the reality that the NBA game has become some complex that it takes a couple years to figure it out.

So what happens to these one and done players? They never get to learn fast enough and become free agents before they are any good.

That's too perfect for me to try to add to. Exactly right.

Thomas82
03-04-2019, 12:18 AM

Very well said!!

TDMVPDPOY
03-04-2019, 12:50 AM
if eubanks and huestis gets added to the roster next season

wouldnt it be good to use the 1st round picks on 1 big and 1 wing man? pick up a veteran pg?

alpha_HaZE
03-04-2019, 01:25 AM
I would be ecstatic if we somehow land De’Andre Hunter!

At 6 feet and 7 inches tall and 225 pounds, he has the athleticism to guard multiple positions. Provided his jumper develops (and he has improved) and he can become a bit more dynamic scoring the ball (currently he plays off his guards), he has a chance to develop into a special player for the Spurs.

ZeusWillJudge
03-04-2019, 02:48 AM
I would be ecstatic if we somehow land De’Andre Hunter!

At 6 feet and 7 inches tall and 225 pounds, he has the athleticism to guard multiple positions. Provided his jumper develops (and he has improved) and he can become a bit more dynamic scoring the ball (currently he plays off his guards), he has a chance to develop into a special player for the Spurs.

I mentioned it above - Hunter is who I would love to see the Spurs draft. I think his stock has already risen too much for that, but you never know. There are always a few that rise, and there are only so many slots at the top. I think he may be the best realistic possibility with the Spurs' first pick, even if they had to bundle both first rounders to take him.
UVA has a game against Syracuse on Monday night. It would be a good opportunity to watch him play, if you haven't already.

Gimme Hunter with the Spurs' pick, Max Strus with the Raptor's pick, and Thybulle with the Spurs' second round pick, and I'll be feeling optimistic again - or at least getting there. (Strus just put a 43 point hurt on St. John's.)

I talked about

alpha_HaZE
03-04-2019, 02:59 AM
I mentioned it above - Hunter is who I would love to see the Spurs draft. I think his stock has already risen too much for that, but you never know. There are always a few that rise, and there are only so many slots at the top. I think he may be the best realistic possibility with the Spurs' first pick, even if they had to bundle both first rounders to take him.
UVA has a game against Syracuse on Monday night. It would be a good opportunity to watch him play, if you haven't already.

Gimme Hunter with the Spurs' pick, Max Strus with the Raptor's pick, and Thybulle with the Spurs' second round pick, and I'll be feeling optimistic again - or at least getting there. (Strus just put a 43 point hurt on St. John's.)

I talked about

He might be a top 10 pick, in which case it would be harder to get. Regardless, let's bundle our draft picks, add someone like Bryn or Davis to get him. With DJ back, and hopefully Lonnie developed, we have a nice young core; DJ, Derrick, Lonnie, Hunter, and Poeltl, to go with our vets; DeMar, LA, Rudy, Marco and Patty.

ZeusWillJudge
03-04-2019, 03:09 AM
if eubanks and huestis gets added to the roster next season

wouldnt it be good to use the 1st round picks on 1 big and 1 wing man? pick up a veteran pg?

They won't have anything to spend other than the MLE. Name a PG that you think they can afford, and you'll have people here screaming. I think the Spurs will try to run with White/Murray, even though I don't think Murray is cut out to run the point. I'm not mentioning Patty - someone else will have to do that.

They are going to have Poeltl in the middle, and since the Wizards got Portis I think the Spurs might be able to get Thomas Bryant as a second big. He's not exciting, but I think he's pretty solid.

ZeusWillJudge
03-04-2019, 03:33 AM
He might be a top 10 pick, in which case it would be harder to get. Regardless, let's bundle our draft picks, add someone like Bryn or Davis to get him. With DJ back, and hopefully Lonnie developed, we have a nice young core; DJ, Derrick, Lonnie, Hunter, and Poeltl, to go with our vets; DeMar, LA, Rudy, Marco and Patty.

There's no way for the Spurs to trade up as high as 10, I don't think. I'm not just being argumentative, I don't think they can trade up that high from 19 - which is probably where their pick will be. (Give or take 1 slot.) If he falls to around 14, they might have a shot, but honestly I don't think the Spurs will make that move, so it's more of a pipe dream.

None of the three guys I talked about show as All Star upside. But all three would do well with the Spurs, for different reasons. If you haven't watched Max Strus play, you should have a look.

XDT76
03-04-2019, 04:21 AM

The teams wanted to mould their player rather than accomdate someone with more or less a fixed skill set. That's why slot of 6 ft 7 and 6 ft 8 players are drafted.

exstatic
03-04-2019, 08:00 AM

It’s not that they don’t draft them as seniors, it’s that they DID’T draft them earlier. The longer they stay in school, especially in a big program with visibility, the more chances there are to see their flaws. The ones who ARE selected in the first round, Dame, McCollum, White, are from mid majors, or have a weird path/story. Four year seniors from big programs tend to drop into the second round, like Donkey, Brogdon. Their remaining upside is seen as limited in a league where every GM wants to hit a home run. Your athletic peak is at 27, and Brogdon will be past that by the time he’s a UFA. He was 24 as a rookie.

RC_Drunkford
03-04-2019, 07:17 PM
I just hope the Spurs draft an SF that can immediately contribute and not a longterm project like LWIV

Twisted_Dawg
03-04-2019, 07:39 PM
I just hope the Spurs draft an SF that can immediately contribute and not a longterm project like LWIV

You better hope they don't draft another big slow goon Pop likes, or waste yet another pick on a Euro draft and trash.

ceperez
03-04-2019, 08:46 PM
It’s not that they don’t draft them as seniors, it’s that they DID’T draft them earlier. The longer they stay in school, especially in a big program with visibility, the more chances there are to see their flaws. The ones who ARE selected in the first round, Dame, McCollum, White, are from mid majors, or have a weird path/story. Four year seniors from big programs tend to drop into the second round, like Donkey, Brogdon. Their remaining upside is seen as limited in a league where every GM wants to hit a home run. Your athletic peak is at 27, and Brogdon will be past that by the time he’s a UFA. He was 24 as a rookie.

Just saying that like the Spurs took advantage of looking in Europe for talent, they should take advantage of looking for these overlooked seniors and juniors.

Spurs got White because his path was weird.

Now consider Spurs rarely in the lottery, they've got to be creative (and very lucky).

TDMVPDPOY
03-04-2019, 09:19 PM
spurs future roster
poetl, eubanks
lma, metu
gay
ddr. forbes, mills
white, murray

yes ddr, white or murry can spend time at sf... still need a good pg+3d player...

R. DeMurre
03-04-2019, 09:28 PM
What's the fascination here with Josh Huestis? In 18 games with Austin this year, he has a negative BPM, a negative VORP, and a Win Shares rating of 0. He has a negative DPBM-- in the G League-- and defense is supposed to be his strength. What am I missing?

exstatic
03-04-2019, 09:37 PM

That’s what’s available in the late teens.

ZeusWillJudge
03-04-2019, 10:05 PM
De'Andre Hunter with 21-4-6 against Syracuse tonight.

DePaul is playing Georgetown on Wednesday night. Last time they met, Strus put up 25 points on 10-15 shooting.

What's the fascination here with Josh Huestis? In 18 games with Austin this year, he has a negative BPM, a negative VORP, and a Win Shares rating of 0. He has a negative DPBM-- in the G League--
and defense is supposed to be his strength. What am I missing?

He plays for the Austin Spurs, and his highlight vids look really cool.

rascal
03-04-2019, 11:18 PM
With each win the draft pick falls and falls.

exstatic
03-05-2019, 07:47 AM
With each win the draft pick falls and falls.

Hasn’t changed much in weeks.

BackHome
03-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Looking at the following to be our first picck range best available:
Tyler Herro 6’’6 SG - Sweet 3 pointer
Charles Bassey 6’11 - Quick rim protector
Jontay Porter 6’11 PF - Great 3 pointer but made of China
Matisse Thebully 6’6 SG/SF -Bowen Defense
Goga Bitadze 6’11 C - Decent outside shoot great rim protector.

2nd Pick
Kris Wilkes 6’8 SF - Young with potential

2nd Round
Who cares.

To to be honest I would not mind any of the above guys.

ZeusWillJudge
03-05-2019, 10:39 PM
De'Andre Hunter was always a longshot. He's played well enough that most of the mock drafts now have him going in one of the top 5-6 slots. He's off the table for the Spurs.

Early in the season, people talked like Thybulle was undraftable. Now he's showing up on a lot of first round mock boards. I was hoping the Spurs could take him with their second rounder. Now I'm not even sure he'll be around for the Raptor's pick. He's definitely not under the radar anymore.

Max Strus has pretty much fallen out of any discussions, other than my own, even though he's been playing really well and just passed the 1,000 point mark in his two seasons at DePaul. Nobody wanted Fred Van Vleet coming out of college, either. I still think he's going to be a draft bargain.

Thomas82
03-06-2019, 12:11 AM
Looking at the following to be our first picck range best available:
Tyler Herro 6’’6 SG - Sweet 3 pointer
Charles Bassey 6’11 - Quick rim protector
Jontay Porter 6’11 PF - Great 3 pointer but made of China
Matisse Thebully 6’6 SG/SF -Bowen Defense
Goga Bitadze 6’11 C - Decent outside shoot great rim protector.

2nd Pick
Kris Wilkes 6’8 SF - Young with potential

2nd Round
Who cares.

To to be honest I would not mind any of the above guys.

I like Charles Bassey the most of all the guys you mentioned. If Bol Bol slides down far enough, I would take a chance on him. I've seen a few mocks that either had us taking him or him getting picked 1 slot ahead of us.

ceperez
03-06-2019, 11:14 AM
I like Charles Bassey the most of all the guys you mentioned. If Bol Bol slides down far enough, I would take a chance on him. I've seen a few mocks that either had us taking him or him getting picked 1 slot ahead of us.

Yeah, Bol Bol might be the gamble that Spurs might have to make. It's all a question of another GM will make this gamble before the Spurs.

If Spurs really wanted Bol Bol, they are going to do some weird stuff to hide this intent. Do you recall if Walker, White or even Murray audition specifically for the Spurs?

MaNu4Tres
03-06-2019, 11:26 AM

Bruno Fernando > Bassey

If SA gets a big at 19 or 29, I hope its Bruno.

duncan2150
03-06-2019, 11:32 AM
Bruno Fernando > Bassey

If SA gets a big at 19 or 29, I hope its Bruno.

actually i agree with you, bassey has more upside i think. Now we don't know where they will be drated, Fernando is mocked as high as 7-8, bassey somewhere like 10.

i really think Bitadze could be the better big in this draft, more complete than others.

Bol Bol could be nice, he has a really good touch, can block shots ... the downside is his body and if he can play without injuries.

exstatic
03-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Tyrese Haliburton. He's a true Frosh from Iowa State, pressed into starting this year. Think of him as a 3&D player (43.3 3G% on 3.3 attempts, 1.7st, 0.9blk) with superb, Diaw-like passing skills. He's been on SI's mock in the late first since January. ISU runs a version of the Beautiful game, starting 4 ball handlers, and he still averages 4apg as a freshman, and has a 17 assist game to his credit. Oh, and he just turned 19.

rascal
03-06-2019, 06:11 PM
The Spurs likely will trade out of the first round with the Raptors pick.

rascal
03-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Hasn’t changed much in weeks.

With 3 wins in a row the Spurs have fallen out of the lottery. In the lottery with a lucky bounce the Spurs could land a top 10 pick so yes with each win the Spurs move further away from the lottery.

exstatic
03-06-2019, 06:27 PM

I think they would only do that to get picks in 2021, the draft where one and done ends. They really don't need more than 3 picks in this draft.

BackHome
Nay the will just draft a foreign guy who they will never bring over. Ie Hanga, Nikola, Scola etc.

exstatic
With 3 wins in a row the Spurs have fallen out of the lottery. In the lottery with a lucky bounce the Spurs could land a top 10 pick so yes with each win the Spurs move further away from the lottery.

They haven't been in lotto territory for more than a day since January.

rascal
03-06-2019, 06:31 PM
They haven't been in lotto territory for more than a day since January.

But they were getting very close after the long road trip. It was looking promising.

Twisted_Dawg
03-06-2019, 09:42 PM

I think they would only do that to get picks in 2021, the draft where one and done ends. They really don't need more than 3 picks in this draft.

Nay the will just draft a foreign guy who they will never bring over. Ie Hanga, Nikola, Scola etc.