PDA

View Full Version : Raptors: Masai Ujiri: 'I'm Pretty Sure There are 10 Embiids Walking Around Africa...'

SuperCam
12-07-2018, 05:19 PM
"Once we can have some sort of league [in Africa]," Ujiri said on Tuesday, "it's going to blow up because you can see that there is talent. It's a gold mine."
https://www.complex.com/sports/2018/12/raptors-masai-ujiri-im-pretty-sure-there-are-10-embiids-walking-around-africa

:wow

Now that Africa is just starting to recover from the subjugation and exploitation of white supremacist european and amerikkkan colonists the last few centuries, it won't be along until the proper infrastructure and funding is in place to train these kids in the sport from a young age. It's already beginning. In another generation or so, there might not be room for any white players in the league, tbh :lol

Othyus Lalanne
12-08-2018, 02:28 PM
:wow

Now that Africa is just starting to recover from the subjugation and exploitation of white supremacist european and amerikkkan colonists the last few centuries, it won't be along until the proper infrastructure and funding is in place to train these kids in the sport from a young age. It's already beginning. In another generation or so, there might not be room for any white players in the league, tbh :lol

I am sure they got the tools, but you still have to be coordinated and have a feel for it.

Spurtacular
12-08-2018, 08:37 PM
I'm sure there isn't. NBA would be harvesting them.

Millennial_Messiah
12-09-2018, 08:13 AM
I'm sure there isn't. NBA would be harvesting them.
That's a pretty dumb statement... we're talking about the most impoverished and remote continent on the globe where roughly 10% of the population has internet in 2019.

Rosewood
12-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Aren't African men much smaller on average than American men? Pretty sure my college history class mentioned how Africans historically have been getting smaller.

Nivek_ogre
12-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Not so sure about that. Soccer has been there forever and African countries rarely have success.

IronMexican
12-09-2018, 11:05 AM
Not so sure about that. Soccer has been there forever and African countries rarely have success.

My thoughts exactly.

FrostKing
12-09-2018, 01:38 PM
OP is a "whites brought slavery to Africa" truther

Spurtacular
12-09-2018, 02:46 PM
That's a pretty dumb statement... we're talking about the most impoverished and remote continent on the globe where roughly 10% of the population has internet in 2019.

Which means they haven't been trained in coordination or built up their bodies properly. Again, the NBA could and would afford to harvest whatever's there. They've tried; it's fool's gold.

Spurtacular
12-09-2018, 02:47 PM
OP is a "whites brought slavery to Africa" truther

We all know he's hardcore black power bull shit.

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2018, 02:50 PM
I'm surprised more White people don't adopt African kids and groom them to become NBA/NFL players..

Roscoe P. Coltrane
12-09-2018, 11:08 PM
I'm surprised more White people don't adopt African kids and groom them to become NBA/NFL players..Because nobody wants shit in their house.

DMC
12-10-2018, 10:02 AM
If we could just get another Hasheem Thabeet or Boban in the league, we'd be set.

Embiid has a talent and training and genetic trait that equates to ability. Being tall and African doesn't make you an NBA lock just as being from Kenya doesn't make you a marathon runner.

Chris Fall
12-10-2018, 05:59 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised if there were. Maybe more. The disadvantages in many of those poorer communities and countries with the lack of food, education, recreational activities, technology all create a much more difficult path to ever getting an opportunity at something like the NBA, even college, even if some kids have the size, athleticism, and raw talent potential. Kids with that potential often have to also be lucky enough to get out of those life conditions or be born to families that are somehow better off than most. Embiid is from a military family. Luol Deng’s dad was part of the Sudanese Parliament and their family got political asylum in Great Britain. Antetokounmpo’s parents got out of Nigeria and raised their kids in Greece. Luc Mbah a Moute is some sort of prince who went to high school in the States. Who knows if any of those guys get scouted or even found if they were from poor families and were raised in small villages with no resources to get them involved in any type of sports program.

I’d say the same for any number of poor countries in the Middle East and South America, Central America, Asia. The next potential LeBron could very well be living in a cave in Afghanistan and may never play a game of hoops in his lifetime. You can be poor in the United States and still make it in the NBA. It happens a lot because you can play pick-up ball in hundreds of places around any city in America as a kid. You can play high school basketball if your family is poor. The next Steph Curry could be a Sherpa living in Tibet whose only option for work is as a mountain climbing travel guide.

Ujiri’s point is probably more true than not. The environment and life conditions will make it near impossible for many kids in Africa to ever find their way to the league. So by building and improving on what Dikembe and Deng and Mbah a Moute have done so far to establish more opportunity and resources to develop young African kids, it would likely produce more kids who have a legitimate chance to become another Joel Embiid.

RC_Drunkford
12-10-2018, 09:37 PM

because all the soccer players decide to play for European countries. French national team that won the world cup has 16 Africans on the roster

Chucho
12-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Whatever happened to Dikembe Mutombo 2.0? That kid from that African tribe that some college coach went to recruit in the 90's and even played in a pick up tournament with him to get him over. 7 ft dude named Salley from the Winabe tribe IIRC.

FrostKing
12-11-2018, 01:58 AM
But didn't black Americans say the NBA are slave owners?

E20
12-11-2018, 11:42 AM
congo's average penis size is 8 inches eat your heart out white america

Rosewood
12-11-2018, 06:35 PM
congo's average penis size is 8 inches eat your heart out white america Rather have a 1 inch smaller penis than a 40 point lower IQ.

Tbh

E20
12-11-2018, 07:07 PM
Rather have a 1 inch smaller penis than a 40 point lower IQ.

Tbh

that's racist