PDA

View Full Version : Pop ties Riley

JeffDuncan
12-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Pop now has 1210 wins, tying Pat Riley for 4th on the all-time list.

Go Pop Go! Beat that Faker!

Popabitch
12-09-2018, 09:56 PM
Pop now has 1210 wins, tying Pat Riley for 4th on the all-time list.

Go Pop Go! Beat that Faker!

Fake Riley > Riley

BackHome
12-10-2018, 12:26 AM
Kawhi storm is still a BITCH

Kobe'sAchilles
12-10-2018, 01:01 AM
12 more to pass Jerry. I would love for him to go for most wins all time but I have no idea how long that would take him to get tbh. 2020?

sasaint
12-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Maybe Pop will win one more to move ahead of Riley and then ride off into the sunset.

JPB
12-10-2018, 01:12 AM
Didn't t know Riley was a sub.

baseline bum
12-10-2018, 01:25 AM
Congrats to Pop. It just sucks knowing we're in his last years coaching the team and there is no chance they'll find anyone better any time soon. I know people like to rag on Pop here and act like he didn't have anything to do with these amazing 20+ years but look at how much of a mess the Spurs were in David's prime with the coaching carousel of Brown, Tarkanian, Lucas, and Hill. Having an all-time great player is a necessary but not sufficient condition for winning, and I always wonder what it would have been like having 2002-03 and beyond Pop coaching that incredible Robinson / Cummings / Elliott / Anderson / Strickland core.

lefty
12-10-2018, 08:30 AM
Riley wouldn’t have left Tim on the bench at the end of game 6

ginobilized
12-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Riley wouldn’t have left Tim on the bench at the end of game 6
Riley could not have led a small market team within the budget and talent constraints of SA. Pop is a real teacher and develops players.
I'd say Pop would've done alright with Magic, Kareem, Worthy, LeBron, Bosh, Wade. Riley wouldn't have had the courage to try to build a team as a coach.

RC_Drunkford
12-10-2018, 02:54 PM
I wish he would go for the all time winning record, but he might have to coach another 2 season at least to get there

lefty
12-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Riley could not have led a small market team within the budget and talent constraints of SA. Pop is a real teacher and develops players.
I'd say Pop would've done alright with Magic, Kareem, Worthy, LeBron, Bosh, Wade. Riley wouldn't have had the courage to try to build a team as a coach.
Pop would have left AC Green and Kareem on the bench at the end of game 6.
Smrek for the win!

BatManu20
12-10-2018, 04:17 PM
I wish he would go for the all time winning record, but he might have to coach another 2 season at least to get there

Yea he won’t get it. He’ll finish 3rd all-time and he won’t care a lick about it.

Beartrucci
12-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Who cares? "Coach that lucked into Tim Duncan gets accolades/breaks records". Well no shit

SpurPadre
12-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Congrats to Pop. It just sucks knowing we're in his last years coaching the team and there is no chance they'll find anyone better any time soon. I know people like to rag on Pop here and act like he didn't have anything to do with these amazing 20+ years but look at how much of a mess the Spurs were in David's prime with the coaching carousel of Brown, Tarkanian, Lucas, and Hill. Having an all-time great player is a necessary but not sufficient condition for winning, and I always wonder what it would have been like having 2002-03 and beyond Pop coaching that incredible Robinson / Cummings / Elliott / Anderson / Strickland core.

Pop is an all-time great coach but Manu taking over as coach could work out just as fine, tbh.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-10-2018, 06:12 PM

It's just like everything else with most fans, they don't appreciate what they have until it's gone. But, yeah, having been a Spurs fan now for 42 years, the second half of those 42 was far better than the first, and to not give credit to Pop for managing all of that in the way that he did is just ignorant.

SA has been lucky as hell to have had Pop as a coach all these years.

RD2191
12-10-2018, 10:31 PM
Pop might be done as a coach but that 2014 title put him at GOAT status imo. No other coach could've done what he did that roster.

jmard5
12-10-2018, 10:37 PM
It's just like everything else with most fans, they don't appreciate what they have until it's gone. But, yeah, having been a Spurs fan now for 42 years, the second half of those 42 was far better than the first, and to not give credit to Pop for managing all of that in the way that he did is just ignorant.

This! Great post.

Mr. Body
12-10-2018, 10:50 PM
One of the GREATS. Lead perhaps the greatest defensive team in NBA history in a defense-heavy era, then switched to a Parker-lead offense when Duncan was getting older, managed to extend the careers of his big players by careful time management, and finally transformed the team into the beautiful game for the greatest revenge scenario in sports history. I don't know of coaches who have reinvented their teams three times.

I see him leaving after this year. After Parker and Ginobili left, his days were numbered. Let him retire in peace.

therealtruth
12-11-2018, 01:17 AM
Pop might be done as a coach but that 2014 title put him at GOAT status imo. No other coach could've done what he did that roster.

Yeah 2014 made up for all his screw ups up from 2010 to that point. Like the loss to the Grizzlies in 2011 as a 1 seed because he benched Splitter in favor of Blair.

RC_Drunkford
12-11-2018, 05:28 AM

Facts. Pop alone can win you a playoff series. He pulls rabbits out the hat a lot. He just has his flaws like every human being, so he deserves some criticism. Still the best coach ever though

polandprzem
12-11-2018, 08:12 AM

You tell them :)