PDA

View Full Version : Is Arcidiacono better than Forbes?

SAGirl
12-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Arci has definitely looked better in the few times I have seen him. He has a more well-rounded game. Perhaps not the shooter Forbes is, but he's still a good shooter, a better passer, and while he's still a little guy, he has made game-changing hustle type plays that I have never seen Forbes make. Even in a horrible dysfunctional team, he has better impact stats than Forbes too.

Phenomanul
12-17-2018, 04:14 PM
Arcidiacono has passion. A competitive fire that Forbes simply doesn't bring.

NASpurs
12-17-2018, 04:29 PM
The Spurs are fucking bad offensively with him on the floor... even worse than Cunningham. :lol

It's supposed to be the one thing that he's supposed to help at. I'm not even going to mention defensively.

phxspurfan
12-17-2018, 04:46 PM
No, but it's like saying is eggplant better than Brussels Sprouts. Not really but both are equally crappy. One just has a longer name.

MoSpur02
12-17-2018, 05:32 PM
I don't like Forbes. Not a good defender and not a good ball handler. Good 3pt shooter I guess, but I'd rather have a PG who can create for himself and create for the other guys. I'm not sure Arcidiacono is much better, but I have liked what I've seen from him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-17-2018, 05:51 PM
I couldn't believe the Spurs re-signed Forbes in the off-season, and then when Murray went down I couldn't believe he suddenly became our starting point guard. He should be chucking 3s in the D-league, but it is what it is. We might be the only team in the league that he'd be able to earn the starting point guard spot, beyond perhaps Phoenix.

He can't play D, he can't distribute, he can't run an offense. The fact that we're 15-15 with him as our starting point guard is a freaking miracle.

Keepin' it real
12-17-2018, 06:24 PM
We sure could use Niko.

BackHome
12-17-2018, 07:01 PM
I will get grief for saying this but I think Nick Johnson is better then Forbes. He deserves to be brought up at least once to see what he really has.

SpursDynasty85
12-17-2018, 07:05 PM
I couldn't believe the Spurs re-signed Forbes in the off-season, and then when Murray went down I couldn't believe he suddenly became our starting point guard. He should be chucking 3s in the D-league, but it is what it is. We might be the only team in the league that he'd be able to earn the starting point guard spot, beyond perhaps Phoenix.

He can't play D, he can't distribute, he can't run an offense. The fact that we're 15-15 with him as our starting point guard is a freaking miracle.

To be fair Derrick White was the starter after Murray went down.

DAF86
12-17-2018, 09:43 PM
The Spurs are fucking bad offensively with him on the floor... even worse than Cunningham. :lol

It's supposed to be the one thing that he's supposed to help at. I'm not even going to mention defensively.

So Bertans is both one of the best offensive players the Spurs have AAAAND one of the best defensive players too? It seems like that guy that made the "Start Bertans" thread knows a thing or two about basketball, tbh. :hat

SAGirl
12-17-2018, 10:21 PM
Wow turned into a Bertan s thread just like that. :lol

SpurPadre
12-17-2018, 10:31 PM
Arcidiacono's mom is better than Forbes.

Play Boban
12-17-2018, 10:46 PM
High IQ player, scrappy, gym rat

Nivek_ogre
12-17-2018, 10:48 PM
No, but it's like saying is eggplant better than Brussels Sprouts. Not really but both are equally crappy. One just has a longer name.

You must eat like a child

Play Boban
12-17-2018, 10:56 PM
Cut Cunningham

Phenomanul
12-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Or Pondexter

timvp
12-18-2018, 02:17 PM
Obviously Forbes has his flaws but I'd say he fits today's NBA better than Arcidiacono. Forbes is a low mistake offensive player who can play both guard positions and is a plus shooter on medium to high volume. Arcidiacono is also a low mistake player but he can only play point guard and he's not as good of a shooter. Arcidiacono's biggest issue is that he's a super low volume shooter. I mean, the guy scores at a rate 20 percent lower than Kyle Anderson (didn't even know that was possible in today's NBA, tbh). He rarely shoots, doesn't make many plays and doesn't do much else other than keep his mistakes to a minimum. On the Bulls, not making mistakes is good enough for him to be a positive influence but Arcidiacono has a low ceiling. He'd have to start shooting a lot more to change that or more than double his assist rate to project to be anything more than a decent Jacque Vaughn-esque backup long-term.

I'd rate Arcidiacono as the better defender but I don't think either of them will ever move the needle much on that end.

To be fair to Spurs fans, they haven't seen the real Arcidiacono this season. He has averaged 17 points against the Spurs this season. In his last eight games not against the Spurs, Arcidiacono has scored a total of 24 points in 208 minutes. I'll take Forbes, tbh.

SAGirl
12-18-2018, 02:30 PM
I mean when Forbes shot isn't falling you can barely even play him tbh. It says a lot about Arci that he doesn't need to be scoring to help his team. I am sure he can hit an open shot if dared.

timvp
12-18-2018, 03:46 PM
It says a lot about Arci that he doesn't need to be scoring to help his team.

The bar to "help" a team in contention to be the worst in the league is a lot lower than is the corresponding bar of a team attempting to make the playoffs, tbh.

Arci's a good little player but his future is a better shooting, less defense Jacque Vaughn. Even if he was on the Spurs today, I don't think he'd be in the rotation.

Jay.From.NbTx
12-18-2018, 03:53 PM
He’s better than mills too.
and Cunningham.

Nivek_ogre
12-18-2018, 04:40 PM
He’s better than mills too.
and Cunningham.

Your a moron. The mills sucks shtick is getting old. He's what we got. And he's been playing great lately.

MoSpur02
12-18-2018, 05:07 PM
The bar to "help" a team in contention to be the worst in the league is a lot lower than is the corresponding bar of a team attempting to make the playoffs, tbh.

Arci's a good little player but his future is a better shooting, less defense Jacque Vaughn. Even if he was on the Spurs today, I don't think he'd be in the rotation.

I can't really argue with this. I don't really like either one of them. What are your thoughts on someone like Ty Lawson? He's a free agent with decent NBA experience.

SAGirl
12-18-2018, 05:08 PM

You definitely have you homer glasses on.

K...
12-18-2018, 05:23 PM
Surprised no one has corrected this thread to "is arci better than white" and the answer is no or fuck no.

SAGirl
12-18-2018, 05:28 PM
Surprised no one has corrected this thread to "is arci better than white" and the answer is no or fuck no.
I am giving White the benefit of taking time to get his game together in what’s basically his rook season.

Forbes and Arci were in the same draft class and have received ample playing time, Forbes actually had a head start on Arci. It just feels more of an even field to compare.

I still haven’t made up my mind on White.

timvp
12-18-2018, 06:54 PM
I can't really argue with this. I don't really like either one of them. What are your thoughts on someone like Ty Lawson? He's a free agent with decent NBA experience.Don't see the appeal of Lawson. Hasn't been in the league for a year and a half. Undersized point guards usually fall off a cliff at around 30 and he's 31. Has played okay in China but nothing too noteworthy. Never much of a three-point shooter.

Plus, most knocks against him in recent years has been off the court issues.

The Spurs can surely use a Forbes upgrade (personally, I've already seen enough to start White over him) but I don't think Lawson would be an upgrade.

Nivek_ogre
12-18-2018, 07:18 PM
The problem with Forbes is that if he's not starting then he probably won't play at all. He's well liked by the coaching staff obviously so if he goes to the bench who's minutes is he taking? Him in the starting lineup hides(mostly) his flaws while playing to his strengths of spacing the floor. Derozan handles the ball while he floats around being a threat. I wouldn't want him taking mills or belinellis minutes. The only regular rotation guy who needs to sit permanently is Cunningham.

Drom John
12-19-2018, 11:12 AM
I thought Arcidiacono was better than Forbes in training camp.
Both are worthy NBA players. Admittedly I like eggplant and Brussels sprouts.

ESPN Real Plus Minus Wins:

65 J.J. Redick
66 Ryan Archidiacono
67 Domantis Sabonas

So, top 3rd best player

152 Boban Marjanovic
153 Bryn Forbes
154 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

So, top 6th man.

RC_Drunkford
12-19-2018, 12:16 PM
He's undersized. Undersized players shouldn't be on your team. We already have 2 of them.

SAGirl
12-19-2018, 02:51 PM
I thought Arcidiacono was better than Forbes in training camp.
Both are worthy NBA players. Admittedly I like eggplant and Brussels sprouts.

ESPN Real Plus Minus Wins:

65 J.J. Redick
66 Ryan Archidiacono
67 Domantis Sabonas

So, top 3rd best player

152 Boban Marjanovic
153 Bryn Forbes
154 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

So, top 6th man.
Thank you Drom for insightful posts like this.