PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts: Spurs @ Magic - Dec. 19, 2018

timvp
12-20-2018, 03:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/tlBNsfa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oOquq76.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oLsOLKT.jpg

Following their successful six-game homestand in which San Antonio went 5-1, the Spurs were able to take their demolition show on the road. In Orlando, the good guys smashed the Magic by a final score of 129-90 on Wednesday night.

The Magic were playing without their best player as Nikola Vucevic sat the game following the birth of his son. Additionally, several players for Orlando were said to be feeling ill following the team's recent trip to Mexico City. Apparently the Magic didn't heed the warning to avoid drinking water in Mexico and Montezuma served up more revenge.

But, truthfully, the Spurs played well enough on Wednesday evening to beat any team in the league. Their improving defense was relentlessly scrappy, while on the other end they hit 64.9 percent from the field, 63.2 percent from downtown and racked up 29 assists. It's safe to say a victory was at hand even without assistance from Montezuma and the fortunate timing of young Vucevic's arrival.

In their last four wins, the Spurs have won by 39, 27, 38 and 25 points. In their lone loss during that stretch, the Spurs held a 21-point second half lead against the Bulls before taking their foot off the gas.

By winning six of their last seven games, the Spurs have gone from second to last place in the Western Conference to holding the eighth seed. They're also tied with the Pelicans for the sixth best point differential in the conference. Quite the improvement.

https://i.imgur.com/vyruzng.jpg

So, why have the Spurs gone from getting blown out to obliterating opponents seemingly overnight? Well, first of all, they got lucky with the timing of that homestand; the Spurs were definitely reeling before that stretch of six home games. But during those two weeks they were able to sleep in their own beds and put in extra hours of practice.

Outside of the timing of the homestand, Pop and the coaching staff have made notable changes to both the offense and the defense.

Defensively, the Spurs are switching more than they ever have under Pop. The coaches realized this team simply doesn't have the one-on-one defenders of yesteryear so they're having the players switch everything. They're switching so much that the defense at times has actually morphed into more of a match-up zone defense. In fact, you'll often now see players defending a section of the court rather than a specific player.

Going with a pseudo match-up zone is dangerous at the NBA level because the best offenses can pick it apart. But give the hombres credit, they're plugging the holes by being really active on the perimeter and physical in the paint.

So far, the defensive strategy is working. They've held their opponents to less than 100 points for six straight games. (That's after allowing more than 100 points in 11 straight games.) Going back to the start of the homestand seven games ago, the Spurs have allowed 99.4 points per 100 possessions -- the best defensive rating in the NBA over that span.

Offensively, the coaches have changed the early-offense focus. Previously, the Spurs were going to DeMar DeRozan and having him create against the backpedaling defense. Now? The focus has shifted to LaMarcus Aldridge getting deep, deep post position and feeding him as soon as possible.

The results have been positive. Getting Aldridge to run and fight for post position has done wonders for his game. He's playing with much more physicality on offense and is establishing his presence in the paint. Once established, he then uses his pick-and-pop jumper and his fadeaways as counters to overaggressive defenses.

Earlier in the season, he was playing the other way around -- and when his jumpers and fadeaways weren't dropping, he was rendered nearly useless. The result of the strategy shift is most evident when looking at Aldridge's field goal percentage. He went from shooting around 40 percent to start the season to north of 60 percent since the shift.

Not surprisingly, DeRozan's scoring numbers are down since getting Aldridge post-up opportunities became a priority. Beginning at the start of the homestand, DeRozan has averaged less than 20 points per game. On a per minute basis, his scoring is down about 10 percent.

Is shifting more of the offensive focus to Aldridge the right thing to do? Early returns say yes. Not only do the Spurs have the best defensive team over the last seven games, they also have the best offensive team over that stretch. They're scoring 121.5 points per 100 possessions since the start of the homestand -- far and away the best in the league.

Here are some random thoughts on the Magic game and the Spurs current state in general:

-The national media (and a lot of Spurs fans) have criticized the Spurs for having an "archaic" offense that doesn't shoot enough three-pointers. The Steph Curry-inspired trend demands that every team must launch early and often from beyond the three-point line or else they can't sit with the cool kids at lunch. But, hey, look: The Spurs are last in the league in three-pointers attempted but they're still sixth in the league in offensive rating, scoring 111.8 points per 100 possessions. In the month of December, they've been the best offensive team in the league with an offensive rating of 118.8. Over their last 15 games, their 115.3 offensive rating is the second best in the league.

-The Spurs succeed without relying on bulk threes by hitting the ones they do take (39.6 percent, best in the league), hitting their free throws (83.3 percent, best in the league) and not turning the ball over (12.2 per game, lowest in the league). Sure, the Spurs shoot too many inefficient long two-pointers but that's the product of having the two most midrange reliant stars in the league in DeRozan and Aldridge. The coaching staff has done a good job of not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by blindly following the latest trends -- and instead playing to the strengths of the two stars they employ.

-Aldridge had another strong, physical showing on Wednesday night. The Magic simply had no one who could deal with his power in the paint. He scored his 20 points efficiently and handed out four assists. However, my one critique of him tonight is he could have had another four or five assists if he would have passed the ball to wide open shooters. The Magic were forced to sink their defense into Aldridge's lap so much that shooters were wide open whenever he got the ball in his hands.

-DeRozan was once again rock solid. He scored, he created and he kept mistakes to a minimum. One thing that isn't discussed much is how helpful DeRozan has been on the boards this season. His 5.5 rebounds per game are a career-high and it helps the Spurs in two ways: 1) It allows Pop to play smaller lineups -- like the one that started tonight with DeRozan at small forward and Rudy Gay at power forward. 2) DeRozan is by far the best outlet passer on the team so when he grabs a defensive rebound, he will often zip the ball ahead to create an appetizing fast break opportunity.

-Rudy Gay looks as healthy as he has looked all season. And he's playing outstanding basketball right now. He's extremely difficult to stop in one-on-one situations and while he's never going to be a steady playmaker, he's a quality passer when he opts to give the ball up. Defensively, there's rarely been an issue when he's at power forward. He's strong enough to hold his ground, he makes quick switches and he rebounds well.

-Bryn Forbes has either been ice cold or boiling hot lately. Against the Magic, he was back to boiling. Thirteen of his 17 points came in the game's first nine minutes. His explosion helped get the Spurs off on the right foot. Now, that said, Forbes' defense was lacking and he wasn't too interested in passing tonight ... but when he's shooting that well, it's easier to forgive his transgressions.

-This game was a step forward for Derrick White. Pop had him back in the starting lineup and he did well. Defensively, he was a menace. He was stingy at the point of attack and his help-defense was also really good. Offensively, seven of his nine points were in the guts of the game, as White looked more confident in terms of knowing how and when to call his own number.

-Marco Belinelli had a season-high 18 points in what has to be considered his best game of the season. Not only were his shots going in, he was creating off the dribble and was in constant motion. The Magic looked dizzy trying to keep up with the whirling dervish that was Belinelli on this night. Since the start of the homestand, Belinelli is averaging 12.4 points on 54.1 percent shooting from the field and 47.4 percent shooting from three-point land.

-Davis Bertans remains on fire. In his last ten games, he's averaging nine points in 19.8 minutes per game, while shooting 57.7 percent from the floor and 55.3 percent on three-point attempts. Since the start of the homestand, with Bertans on the floor the Spurs are outscoring the other team by an incredible 41.4 points per 100 possessions. During that time frame, Bertans has the team's highest offensive rating (132.5) and second best defensive rating (91.1). So, yeah, Pop really needs to find a spot in the rotation for this guy.

-Although his shooting was uncharacteristically poor, Jakob Poeltl was productive against the Magic. His defense continues to be quite impressive. His defensive rating for the season of 103.5 is the best on the team. Since the start of the homestand, that number has shrunk to a microscopic, team-best 89.1. Having a backup center who can run, catch the ball, pass, finish everything and play strong defense at the other end is quite the luxury.

-Drew Eubanks has been pretty impressive in mop-up duty. He has a right handed hook shot in the lane that he can get off against NBA players with ease. He moves well defensively and has good timing on rebounds. He doesn't appear to have good hands and it's still questionable whether he's athletic enough for today's league but Eubanks looks to be an interesting-enough prospect to keep around.

-I won't rant against Dante Cunningham; I've done that enough lately. I will note, however, that he didn't step onto the court until garbage time in the fourth quarter. Is Pop beginning to notice how well the Spurs play when Cunningham sits? Let us hope.

-San Antonio's next game is at home against the Timberwolves. If the Spurs are serious about the playoffs, this is the type of game they really need to win. Minnesota is bad on the road (2-12) and they've lost five of their last six games. Take care of business at home and extend this feel-good streak.

John B
12-20-2018, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the review Timvp. 29 assists means they’re learning to trust each other better and winning as a team instead of iso offense. They’ve been limiting the last 6 opponents under 100. I always think they can score against the best of them if they continue to move the ball, and stop opponents from scoring, worst from relinquishing their lead. It’s just more familiarity playing together. GSG!

r0drig0lac
12-20-2018, 04:07 AM
- Gay playing with a star, remembering a bit of Kawhi 16-17 where he would score independent of the opponent's defense (I really wanted him and Tyreke at 16 and I believe that if we had both as support from Kawhi and LMA we would have won another title )

- Bertans more confident and with a much better offensive reading

- Forbes offensively very well (although I believe we have to upgrade their position to be real challenging).

- Pop creating a way to make this team move from one of the worst defenses in the league to a good defense (and sometimes elite)

ace3g
12-20-2018, 04:09 AM
https://twitter.com/DanWeissPBP/status/1075598025563783168

https://twitter.com/AirlessJordan/status/1075574553160663040

https://twitter.com/AirlessJordan/status/1075574517702029312

https://twitter.com/AirlessJordan/status/1075574171957112832

https://twitter.com/WildHorses65/status/1075637934395670528

https://twitter.com/Matthew_Tynan/status/1075636006014070785

https://twitter.com/Matthew_Tynan/status/1075626029945905152

ceperez
12-20-2018, 04:33 AM
- Gay playing with a star, remembering a bit of Kawhi 16-17 where he would score independent of the opponent's defense (I really wanted him and Tyreke at 16 and I believe that if we had both as support from Kawhi and LMA we would have won another title )

- Bertans more confident and with a much better offensive reading

- Forbes offensively very well (although I believe we have to upgrade their position to be real challenging).

- Pop creating a way to make this team move from one of the worst defenses in the league to a good defense (and sometimes elite)

Spurs are playing a game that very different from anyone else in the league. Seems to be working in the latest stretch.

With a bit more tweaks, other team won't be familiar enough with this kind of a team that it's win enough games to get to the playoffs.

playbonner15
12-20-2018, 06:08 AM
Like that Bertans is getting minutes on the floor and hitting his shots. I like his pairing with Belinelli and Purtell because Marco can zigzag and pass to either Bertans at the 3 or the cutting Purtl. Problem is Beli is very inconsistent and takes those wild shots. I think maybe he's emulating Manu too much? Whenever he launches those off balanced long shots I go 'No no no, YES that went in!'

vavvi
12-20-2018, 06:33 AM
Our second unit has been fun. Poeltl + Bertans + Belli + Mills and you can plug in Rudy, DeMar or White depending on circumstances. They’ve been killing teams lately.

sananspursfan21
12-20-2018, 07:26 AM
How insane is Rudy’s comments when they’re playing like this?

John B
12-20-2018, 07:50 AM
How insane is Rudy’s comments when they’re playing like this?
He’ll probably get best improved player consideration if this continues. If healthy and get enough touches, even All-Star. The guy is just unstoppable at PF

sananspursfan21
12-20-2018, 08:43 AM
He’ll probably get best improved player consideration if this continues. If healthy and get enough touches, even All-Star. The guy is just unstoppable at PF

Most improved player at 32? Crazy! That would be cool, I’m gonna google the record for the oldest to win it.

Spurs Homer
12-20-2018, 08:45 AM
Over the last year or two - I was convinced Forbes was not an NBA player and his choking whenever given an opportunity and his body language just confirmed what a loser he was.

Glad to see I was wrong - and Pop knew what he was doing. Not that he is a great player but if he continues to improve and believe he can shoot lights out and have a little swag - he just might become a useful offensive weapon to loosen up defenses and allow Derozan and Aldridge to be more effective.

sananspursfan21
12-20-2018, 08:46 AM

Darrell Armstrong at 30. GET THAT RECORD RUDY!!!!!

RC_Drunkford
12-20-2018, 08:59 AM
As I been saying this team could be scary if it adds a legit 3-and-D wing while keeping the 9 rotation players around. Add in to that that Murray comes back next year and Walker will have developed and you have 2 first-round draft picks while White, Bertans and Poeltl should also get better with time ... yeah the future looks bright I'd say.

LA has said in interviews that they have worked on entry passes and credit to Pop to make the adjustment like he did at the start of last season. Make sure LaMarcus establishes deep position and all of a sudden he's super effective. It does wonders for his shooting % if he is closer to the basket.

The Aldridge/DeRozan 2-man game is on full display, when DeRozan drives he sucks in the 2nd defender and passes out to LA for a pick and pop. If you really look at it DeRozan, Gay and LA are a tough cover when on the floor together. All 3 of them are post up threats, so it's pretty easy for them to find a mismatch and then exploit it. They have done that a lot lately. Also the DeRozan/Aldridge pick and roll with Gay at the 3-point line on the weakside is deadly.

The bench unit has incredible chemistry, mostly due to Poeltl. Spurs shooters always needed a roll man to get open and Poeltl plays that role to perfection. Patty, Belli and Bertans have good chemistry with him and Pop usually leaves DeRozan or Gay out with them, so that unit outscoring other benches just makes this team so much better. All we really miss is a 10th player since Cunningham is out of the rotation and rightfully so.

On defense they have said in interviews that they have went to more of a team defensive concept instead of defending 1-on-1. LA has also said that Pop simplified his schemes. It seems that for a lot of players those have been kind of complicated to learn on the fly. One thing I see is if a player tries to blow by a Spurs defender, the next defender usually steps out into the lane and then immediately recovers back to his man. That has been super effective from stopping players to get to the rim.

Those practices on the home stand really worked wonders. Now you wonder what this teams ceiling is with Gasol coming back and Poeltl, White and Bertans getting better as the season progresses.

MoSpur02
12-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the grades/thoughts.

Spurs looked really good. Their ball movement is what really stood out to me besides their 3pt shooting.

Keepin' it real
12-20-2018, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the grades!

John B
12-20-2018, 09:12 AM
If this continues Pops gets COY tbh

playbonner15
12-20-2018, 09:19 AM
One thing I see is if a player tries to blow by a Spurs defender, the next defender usually steps out into the lane and then immediately recovers back to his man. That has been super effective from stopping players to get to the rim.

I'd like to see how effective this is to more elite teams. What needs more work is the guy that Forbes is guarding usually get past Forbes then gets an easy basket or the defense collapses and that guy finds the open man. If zforbes is not making his shots, he's a liability on both ends

playbonner15
12-20-2018, 09:20 AM
If Clips make the playoffs, Doc might get it

emanueldavidginobili
12-20-2018, 09:21 AM
Great stuff, thank you!

Davis definitely needs to get legit consistent minutes. Kid is oozing with confidence, swinging around screens launching it without an ounce of hesitance. He’s only going to get better he missed a considerably amount of time when he blew his knee out twice. He’s starting to get much more comfortable with the pace of the NBA.

vavvi
12-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Have to love Spurstalk overreaction.

Rudy is not getting any reward. Not Most Improved. Not All-Star or whatever.
Pop is not getting COY.
Our ceiling if everything goes our way is second round exit, and it's okay.

r0drig0lac
12-20-2018, 09:32 AM
If Clips make the playoffs, Doc might get it

it's time for Mike Malone tbh

Maddog
12-20-2018, 09:37 AM

It would be I think Bittersweet- but well deserved. In one off season Pop and the coaching staff have had to change direction in how they play defense and to some extent offensively.
As I watch Rudy, I can clearly see what PATFO had in mind when they signed him to play both behind and with the Nephew.

Seventyniner
12-20-2018, 10:23 AM
On defense they have said in interviews that they have went to more of a team defensive concept instead of defending 1-on-1. LA has also said that Pop simplified his schemes. It seems that for a lot of players those have been kind of complicated to learn on the fly.

Simplifying the defense lowers the ceiling, but raises the floor and that's what the team needs right now.

Seventyniner
12-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Like that Bertans is getting minutes on the floor and hitting his shots. I like his pairing with Belinelli and Purtell because Marco can zigzag and pass to either Bertans at the 3 or the cutting Purtl. Problem is Beli is very inconsistent and takes those wild shots. I think maybe he's emulating Manu too much? Whenever he launches those off balanced long shots I go 'No no no, YES that went in!'

It's looking like Poeltl/Bertans is the new Splitter/Bonner pairing that used to put up video game numbers on offense. Of course, much of the league is doing that now.

Can you imagine if the Spurs had 41-year-old Manu instead of Beli?

RC_Drunkford
12-20-2018, 10:31 AM
I'd like to see how effective this is to more elite teams. What needs more work is the guy that Forbes is guarding usually get past Forbes then gets an easy basket or the defense collapses and that guy finds the open man. If zforbes is not making his shots, he's a liability on both ends

agree. If White was a reliable 3-point shooter than I'd say move Forbes for a wing, but he's not. The only other option we have to replace Forbes with is Mills.

Uriel
12-20-2018, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the thoughts! Very informative :tu

Is this level of play sustainable? Can we expect the Spurs to be permanently better from now on?

jjktkk
12-20-2018, 10:49 AM
This current Spur's team is slowly rounding into form. Watch out NBA! :flag:

boutons_deux
12-20-2018, 10:54 AM
4 more ASTs for LMA? of course, he backs down into traffic, double teams, saggers, while leaving lonely 2pt and 3 pt shooters with empty waiting hands

playbonner15
12-20-2018, 11:14 AM
It's looking like Poeltl/Bertans is the new Splitter/Bonner pairing that used to put up video game numbers on offense. Of course, much of the league is doing that now.

Can you imagine if the Spurs had 41-year-old Manu instead of Beli?

Yeah I think Beli watched Manu's last season with the team before retiring :lol But I would like a season more of Manu just because of a budy in Purtel

Mr. Body
12-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Pop is s fucking genius.

cutewizard
12-20-2018, 11:40 AM
:lobt2:

cutewizard
12-20-2018, 11:41 AM
This current Spur's team is slowly rounding into form. Watch out NBA! :flag:

:bobo

skin27
12-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Lol at cliff jumpers!!

Drom John
12-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Most improved defined as ESPN Real Plus Minus RPM 2019 minus 2018

3.17 Pondexter
3.07 Gay
0.80 Mills
0.76 Bertans
0.73 Belinelli
0.68 Forbes
0.60 Cunningham
0.46 Poetl
-0.16 Gasol
-0.56 DeRozan
-2.05 White
-5.31 Aldridge

acoelho1
12-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the thoughts! Very informative :tu

Is this level of play sustainable? Can we expect the Spurs to be permanently better from now on?

Winning by 30 no but they are light years better on defense than earlier in the season so I expect to make a real push up the standings. However it seems pretty clear we have to keep LMA engaged otherwise is effort lacks especially on the defensive end.

SAGirl
12-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Good observation on the changes offensively and defensively. During their losing streak Lamarcus had been horrible inefficient and barely scoring. The difference is night and day and with ball movement everyone has caught on rhythm bc Marco has also been in a bad slump. It has been enjoyable to see them turn this around so dramatically (even though I was skeptical in their ability to maintain it). Credit where it’s due. Pop is definitely on top of these changes.

TimDunkem
12-20-2018, 12:55 PM
The Term "Fools Gold" is thrown around this forum quite a bit.
However, destroying teams on the tail end of 3 games in 4 nights and now a team who was sitting Vicevic....

Lets put it this way, Vicevic is having a season THIS season(Contract Season none the less) that RIVALS MVPHowards seasons in THE O'

Wins are wins and reps are reps
I see these as quasi-scrimmage level games, preseason games that this team used to get their chemistry and strategy and rotations down

Give Pop and his staff credit for conjuring a way for the Spurs to look like a Semblance of themselves.

But what Sorcery and Black Magic did Greg use?

Some Amorphous Zoney switchy thingy?

Going forward we are depending on a Zone D and as timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) said That has the potential to get this team to the Playoffs and get blown
D fuck out
depending on who they draw in the Brackets. It's not a matter of IF it's just WHEN

which is not to say that Poeltl and White can't be that D' ACE on this squad in the future but this year they will be limited to backup and spots minutes but moving FORWARDS(lol we have none) those two along with a hopefully fully recovered Murry and

THE CULT OF CORPORATE KNOWLEGE will have the acolytes to carry forward OUR RELIGION

But let us enjoy the wins we are scamming TODAY
Fool ourselves into BELIEVE
or SPAM

and let the good times Roll :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

I'm DOWN WITH GAY
2018-19 ONE FOR THE THUMB
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Pretty much this. Good win, but it's what we were supposed to do.

phxspurfan
12-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Yup about the zone scheme. Pop has to come up with schemes to make up the lack of quality defensive personnel the Spurs have this year. Even Kevin McHale said it on NBA TV when they were watching the Spurs. Like "ok, none of you guys can play defense, so you go stand over there, you stand there, you stand here...this is a 2-3..."

Problem with zones is teams figure them out.

superbigtime
12-20-2018, 03:14 PM
outstanding write-up and analysis. thanks for making me a smarter fan, TIMVP.

Indianman
12-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Timvp got more fans on ST than TP9 lol

DAF86
12-20-2018, 04:35 PM
Timvp got more fans on ST than TP9 lol

Folks sucking up to the boss, tbh. :stirpot:

Indianman
12-20-2018, 04:45 PM
lol

Kobe'sAchilles
12-20-2018, 06:40 PM
Rick Carlisle has been running a zone defense for years with his Mavs teams. I know they suck and have been losing, but they never had any real defensive talent and I thought it was amazing that a team playing Seth Curry, Yogi whatever, and J J Barea was never dead last in defense. The good teams figure it out, but I think the zone defense actually matches up well with a lot of playoff teams. It works on the Lakers, Nuggets, Clippers, OKC. It wouldn't work against Portland, but honestly trapping/double teaming Lillard and CJ on pick and rolls always stops that team. They are the easiest team to gameplan for. Houston and Golden St though would probably kill us.

Seventyniner
12-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Rick Carlisle has been running a zone defense for years with his Mavs teams. I know they suck and have been losing, but they never had any real defensive talent and I thought it was amazing that a team playing Seth Curry, Yogi whatever, and J J Barea was never dead last in defense. The good teams figure it out, but I think the zone defense actually matches up well with a lot of playoff teams. It works on the Lakers, Nuggets, Clippers, OKC. It wouldn't work against Portland, but honestly trapping/double teaming Lillard and CJ on pick and rolls always stops that team. They are the easiest team to gameplan for. Houston and Golden St though would probably kill us.

GS would kill us anyway, and Houston most nights (when they aren't ice cold like in the Spurs' victory over them).

Being able to beat most of the other teams in the league is good enough right now. Making the second round this year would be a coup.

DAF86
12-20-2018, 09:43 PM

The Mavs won their championship playing zone for huge chunks of games. I don't know if zone defenses are so easy to decipher for good teams, as some here seem to think.

Mr. Body
12-20-2018, 09:57 PM
Zone defense can work with long players and/or players that know when to hit their spots hard. In the raining threes era it may actually be a good solution in many regards if implemented correctly.

DAF86
12-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Rockets don't what the fuck to do with that zone. It's actually pretty funny to watch. :lol

DAF86
12-20-2018, 10:11 PM
You need FIBA players to beat the zone, tbh. Jokic would be eating that zone alive.

spurs10
12-20-2018, 11:52 PM
Great 'thoughts' that don't at all seem 'random.' Very insightful to be honest! Yes it's really interesting to see these guys play as a team like this, which is all I ever hoped for this season. Just 'play as a team' and get as far away as possible from that horrible drama we were forced to deal with last year. This is fun to watch and I'm really stoked Pop is coaching, and the team is playing, with heart.

:flag:

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Spurs are playing a game that very different from anyone else in the league. Seems to be working in the latest stretch.

With a bit more tweaks, other team won't be familiar enough with this kind of a team that it's win enough games to get to the playoffs.

The Spurs are equipped to play inside out, versus outside and occasionally in like so many teams. If they can keep getting better at it, you’re right, they’ll have an advantage against a lot of teams. Of course we have to still hit our shots and the three is still a big part of making the offense work, and when that’s off you can clearly see us struggle. Stopping folks on D has been the Spurs biggest challenge and they’re getting better there too. There’s certainly reason to hope.