PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Mark Cuban wants to see more players brought up like Luka Doncic

JohnnyMax
12-22-2018, 07:04 PM

Chucho
12-22-2018, 08:10 PM
Mark Cuban should be Sterling'd to be honest.

FkLA
12-22-2018, 08:41 PM
He's talking about black culture. And he's right.

Bynumite
12-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Probably should have kept that one to himself. Not that i give a fuck whether or not Cuban faces any backlash for the comments. It's more so the fact he's attaching the kid's name to his views, seems counterproductive.

resistanze
12-22-2018, 10:08 PM
Weird how those 'fundamentals' never lead to any U-17 or U-19 FIBA championships for the Slovenias of the world.

HarlemHeat37
12-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Weird how those 'fundamentals' never lead to any U-17 or U-19 FIBA championships for the Slovenias of the world.

:lol fundamentals is the magic word..

JohnnyMax
12-23-2018, 12:03 AM

Kobe'sAchilles
12-23-2018, 12:25 AM
He's not wrong. Fundamentals in today's NBA are horrible. I mean have you seen DJ shoot a jumper? Or Dwight? Hell even guys like Antonio Davis (who sucked offensively for the most part) had a jumper. Nobody boxes out anymore, too many bigs have no idea how to set a proper pick and then how to roll to the basket. Its why guys like Capella get money, bc he can set a pick and dive to the hoop. Can you imagine guys in the 80s saying hey I deserve a max contract bc I can perform a pick and roll? Yeah that wouldn't have gotten them anywhere with that argument. Defense is even worse aa far as fundamentals go, nobody slides their feet anymore and digs into their defenders. They don't fight over screens anymore. I mean Stockton used to get killed on screens and he still managed to get back in the play. Too much one on one iso dribble dribble while everyone else watches. And name me 10 players who can finish with their off hand? You cant

lefty
12-23-2018, 12:55 AM
Curry can finish with his off hand tbh.
But I agree with the rest

Killakobe81
12-23-2018, 01:12 AM

Not just blacks the top white/Asian AAU players do the same thing... But of course since blacks make up the majority of top players...

Killakobe81
12-23-2018, 01:25 AM
He's not wrong. Fundamentals in today's NBA are horrible. I mean have you seen DJ shoot a jumper? Or Dwight? Hell even guys like Antonio Davis (who sucked offensively for the most part) had a jumper. Nobody boxes out anymore, too many bigs have no idea how to set a proper pick and then how to roll to the basket. Its why guys like Capella get money, bc he can set a pick and dive to the hoop. Can you imagine guys in the 80s saying hey I deserve a max contract bc I can perform a pick and roll? Yeah that wouldn't have gotten them anywhere with that argument. Defense is even worse aa far as fundamentals go, nobody slides their feet anymore and digs into their defenders. They don't fight over screens anymore. I mean Stockton used to get killed on screens and he still managed to get back in the play. Too much one on one iso dribble dribble while everyone else watches. And name me 10 players who can finish with their off hand? You cant

Curry Kyrie Bron Barea KD CP3 Dame CJ McCollum Jrue Holiday Conley all have sting off hand finishing ability.
I agree though it's a small list and I had to think on it...

Killakobe81
12-23-2018, 01:26 AM
Good defense is hardly played you just touch a star nba player and it's FT's

Kobe'sAchilles
12-23-2018, 01:32 AM
Curry Kyrie Bron Barea KD CP3 Dame CJ McCollum Jrue Holiday Conley all have sting off hand finishing ability.
I agree though it's a small list and I had to think on it...
I mean you had to include Barea :lol
I disagree about Durant though.
But basically having an off hand takes being an all star which was more my point

Othyus Lalanne
12-23-2018, 04:59 AM

It's gonna be clear why. might run for president, did not bow down to PC bs properly. Terrible idea and terrible precedent.

Small country, small talent base.

D-Robinson 50 fan
12-23-2018, 06:25 AM

Maybe you read something different than what I read but it didn’t seem like he was talking about any specific race. He was just talking about that in Slovenia the kids are taught and drilled on fundamentals of basketball and that if the top high school kids in America went abroad and trained they would be even better.

I kinda agree that AAU sometimes isn’t the best thing for some of these kids. I also think he shouldn’t paint all the American schools and talent development staffs with the same broad brush. There are plenty of skilled kids in America who learned the right way to play the game not to mention over in Europe basketball becomes these kids jobs at an early age as opposed to America

resistanze
12-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Small country, small talent base.
So the argument is that they have so much better fundamentals but no talent to actually be effective at an international stage? And they're the model the most dominant country in basketball should follow? Makes sense.

Mark Celibate
12-23-2018, 10:43 AM
So the argument is that they have so much better fundamentals but no talent to actually be effective at an international stage? And they're the model the most dominant country in basketball should follow? Makes sense.

ya, I don't know why he chose Slovenia but Jewban's right on this issue. But this is pretty common sense now anyway tbh. The YouTube sensationalism of this generation has ruined high school basketball in the USA. I don't remember which guy it was, but I was casually watching highlights of someone a few years ago where he hit a three pointer, but made it a point to "dab" to his buddies in the crowd instead of getting back on defense where his guy came back down and scored easily :lol Just crazy. I'm not even that old, but when I played that would get you benched for the rest of the game even in AAU

DMC
12-23-2018, 10:56 AM

Luka probably wrote that for him tbh

lefty
12-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Luka probably wrote that for him tbh

:lol

DMC
12-23-2018, 11:00 AM
ya, I don't know why he chose Slovenia but Jewban's right on this issue. But this is pretty common sense now anyway tbh. The YouTube sensationalism of this generation has ruined high school basketball in the USA. I don't remember which guy it was, but I was casually watching highlights of someone a few years ago where he hit a three pointer, but made it a point to "dab" to his buddies in the crowd instead of getting back on defense where his guy came back down and scored easily :lol Just crazy. I'm not even that old, but when I played that would get you benched for the rest of the game even in AAU

I was watching my old hometown team HS team play on video the other day. When we played it was fast break and get the ball inside, with the occasional midrange jumper. Now a 3 on 1 fast break ends in a 3 attempt. Every other trip down the floor was a long 3 by some one who couldn't hit the rim. Of course if someone hit they did some celebration move or threw up the 3 fingers and didn't get back on defense. Coaches lost their balls, unable to bench players who either A) are offspring of donors/wealthy or B) all state level athletes.

LkrFan
12-23-2018, 11:02 AM

This. Especially after he ran the Mavs like a brothel until he got caught. Then he investigated himself and deemed that he was innocent. :lol

Othyus Lalanne
12-23-2018, 11:50 AM
One maximizes it's the talent and the other does not...

NBA coaches take plays from Europe and college all the time.

Chris
12-23-2018, 02:08 PM
Only blacks can make mixtapes? Who's really being racist here ; )

FrostKing
12-23-2018, 02:13 PM
Slave mentality

resistanze
12-23-2018, 06:52 PM

Still a pretty dumb argument by Cuban in relation to what he's saying about Doncic, unless you think the skills of the average NBA player has declined over the last decade or two. He's talking about the 'league being 100x better' if they followed good ol' Slovenia. But really, only the best of the best play in the NBA anyways, so it's pretty irrelevant what some dabbing kid in AAU is doing who will never make the NBA.

If he wants to make an argument about AAU or general youth basketball...then sure. What does that have to do with the success of Doncic in the NBA, while good, isn't even a top 3 rookie of the past decade? And is 1 of only 2 players from Slovenia in the NBA? How exactly does 'fundamentals' set Doncic apart in the NBA? I get Cuban will suck the dick of whatever Euro is on his team, but this is ridiculous.

monosylab1k
12-23-2018, 07:08 PM
His statement reeks of a grumpy old man whining about “young hoodlums and their sagging pants” but he’s not completely wrong.

There’s that kid Julian Newman who by all accounts is absolute trash, but gets all this attention for his mixtapes where he shows his 9 makes in the game and all his shit talking and his halfcourt between the legs routines, but not the 25 bricks and 6 times a game he gets his shit blocked back into his face.

FkLA
12-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Not just blacks the top white/Asian AAU players do the same thing... But of course since blacks make up the majority of top players...

You mean little wiggers that use the word nigga all the time? Yeah, they've been infected by black culture too.

These little peacock fucks grow up chasing highlight plays/big numbers. They love getting their buddies in the crowd to jump around and act like monkeys over a play they made or over having a huge scoring night. They love the attention that will follow on social media/Youtubes. Playing defense and making sound, unselfish plays on offense takes a backseat because it doesn't elicit the response from crowds or social media that this new generation of pussy boys craves. Black culture has made to where you're actually cool if you don't play sound, fundamental basketball. My eyes fucking bled every time I watched younger Balls play. LaMelo has some talent and good size but he doesn't have the right mindset to ever amount to much. His main concern when he's on the court is that he needs to look cool for his fans.

FkLA
12-23-2018, 10:04 PM
His statement reeks of a grumpy old man whining about “young hoodlums and their sagging pants” but he’s not completely wrong.

There’s that kid Julian Newman who by all accounts is absolute trash, but gets all this attention for his mixtapes where he shows his 9 makes in the game and all his shit talking and his halfcourt between the legs routines, but not the 25 bricks and 6 times a game he gets his shit blocked back into his face.

I can't stand that fucking midget. He is the poster child of trying to look cool out on the court. His dribbling is so over the top and completely useless most of the time.

DMC
12-23-2018, 11:24 PM
You mean little wiggers that use the word nigga all the time? Yeah, they've been infected by black culture too.

These little peacock fucks grow up chasing highlight plays/big numbers. They love getting their buddies in the crowd to jump around and act like monkeys over a play they made or over having a huge scoring night. They love the attention that will follow on social media/Youtubes. Playing defense and making sound, unselfish plays on offense takes a backseat because it doesn't elicit the response from crowds or social media that this new generation of pussy boys craves. Black culture has made to where you're actually cool if you don't play sound, fundamental basketball. My eyes fucking bled every time I watched younger Balls play. LaMelo has some talent and good size but he doesn't have the right mindset to ever amount to much. His main concern when he's on the court is that he needs to look cool for his fans.

Race dysphoria.

FrostKing
12-23-2018, 11:53 PM
The (imo odd and weird) College system in the USA makes the country an athletic breeding ground. Showcased at the Olympics. Sell sneakers and put them in commercials/Hip Hop videos.

Raven
12-24-2018, 12:16 AM
Still a pretty dumb argument by Cuban in relation to what he's saying about Doncic, unless you think the skills of the average NBA player has declined over the last decade or two. He's talking about the 'league being 100x better' if they followed good ol' Slovenia. But really, only the best of the best play in the NBA anyways, so it's pretty irrelevant what some dabbing kid in AAU is doing who will never make the NBA.

If he wants to make an argument about AAU or general youth basketball...then sure. What does that have to do with the success of Doncic in the NBA, while good, isn't even a top 3 rookie of the past decade? And is 1 of only 2 players from Slovenia in the NBA? How exactly does 'fundamentals' set Doncic apart in the NBA? I get Cuban will suck the dick of whatever Euro is on his team, but this is ridiculous.
well that's very obvious.

Othyus Lalanne
12-24-2018, 03:33 AM
Slave mentality

WTF does that even mean in this context?

Killakobe81
12-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Goes back to And 1 and Rucker park culture mindset... And the whiteboy the professor and the NBA Jason Williams were both prominent in that style wiggers or not...
And white fans who are posers who appropriate the culture and love shit they can't do are some of the biggest fans of this style... Also Chinese and phillipino cultures have always preferred Kobe/AI over Stockton/Duncan... Again you can't only blame blacks for the current state of the NBA... Especially when most NBA GMs and college and pro coaches are white ..
Hell even the great hypocrite Coach K has doubled down on monkey ball...
He used to win with Grant Hill, Hurley, Lattener Reddick...
Now it's Zion, Tyus, etc

R. DeMurre
12-25-2018, 01:37 PM

Slovenia's total population is barely over 2 million, meaning it's smaller than the city of Houston by itself. Chances are Slovenia's U-19 team would beat Houston's U-19 team pretty handily.

resistanze
12-25-2018, 01:52 PM
Slovenia's total population is barely over 2 million, meaning it's smaller than the city of Houston by itself. Chances are Slovenia's U-19 team would beat Houston's U-19 team pretty handily.

By that logic, India and China should dominate basketball as they have 2.5 billion people between them.

By the logic, Norway with a population of 5 million should never dominate the Winter Olympics as they have over history.

By that logic, I can point out that North Dakota has as many people in the NBA as Slovenia with 1/3 of the population.

Countries with small populations have dominated in sports that they're good at. If the Slovenia is the 'fundamentals' juggernaut as Cuban claims, they should be at least relevant on the international stage. Lithuania has under 3 million people and have medaled in both youth and men's tournaments.

R. DeMurre
12-25-2018, 06:16 PM
By that logic, India and China should dominate basketball as they have 2.5 billion people between them.

Both countries are relatively new to basketball, so it doesn't make sense that they'd dominate a sport they only recently started to play collectively. China will be dominating basketball in 20 years.

Same thing as the USA not dominating Soccer's World Cup, and being routinely outplayed by smaller countries like France, Germany, Brazil, etc.

monty4329
12-29-2018, 01:14 PM
Cuban has a point. I remember Kobe years ago saying he was tought fundamentals while a kid in Italy, whereas in US they would have just let him run and dunk. He said that was one of the keys to his stellar NBA career.

I also believe Cuban meant in Europe the kids go to school for real, instead of fake academies and such. For one who makes it to professional basket, we have thousands of illiterate 20-someting zombies.

Chris
12-29-2018, 05:35 PM
we have thousands of illiterate 20-someting zombies.

Experts at regurgitating information. The majority of which will never pick up a second language. Yes, Europeans have an advantage because of an overbearing Federal Government and corrupt Department of Education. Students in the United States 100 years ago were much smarter and incredibly self reliant.

12-29-2018, 08:14 PM
soft ass euro leagues :lol

slovenia natl team would get dunked on and sodomized by average D1 athletes :lol

For all this talk about AAU creating showboating, no defense playing nba players, how many european players come over and make an all defensive team :lol

meanwhile american born, AAU participant, dejounte murray just became the youngest nba player to be selected to an all defensive team last year :lol

glegi
12-30-2018, 12:50 AM

By the logic, Norway with a population of 5 million should never dominate the Winter Olympics as they have over history.

By that logic, I can point out that North Dakota has as many people in the NBA as Slovenia with 1/3 of the population.

Countries with small populations have dominated in sports that they're good at. If the Slovenia is the 'fundamentals' juggernaut as Cuban claims, they should be at least relevant on the international stage. Lithuania has under 3 million people and have medaled in both youth and men's tournaments.

Slovenia is the current euro champ.

Medals in U20:
Gold: 2000, 2004
Silver:1998
Bronze:2006

Texas_Ranger
12-30-2018, 07:46 AM
soft ass euro leagues :lol

slovenia natl team would get dunked on and sodomized by average D1 athletes :lol

For all this talk about AAU creating showboating, no defense playing nba players, how many european players come over and make an all defensive team :lol

meanwhile american born, AAU participant, dejounte murray just became the youngest nba player to be selected to an all defensive team last year :lol

perhaps they would get dunked on, but the other team would still lose by 30+. lol at thinking athleticism is everything.

And Cuban was thinking about learning the fundamentals not the quality of the players. No shit USA has more talent.

also, meanwhile slovenian born Luka Doncic at 19 is 10X better than this amazing Dejounte Murray. But hey, Murray will most likely lock him up on defense when they play.

12-30-2018, 10:39 PM
But hey, Murray will most likely lock him up on defense when they play.Duke would beat slovenia by 40

Spurtacular
12-31-2018, 01:19 AM

:lmao Crusty Snowflake

Brazil
01-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Slovenia is the current euro champ.

Medals in U20:
Gold: 2000, 2004
Silver:1998
Bronze:2006

I'm a fan of Resistanze tbh.. he is a solid ST contributor but his lack of knowledge of European bb mixed with some silly argumentation are mind blowing

Fact is Slovenia has a very small reservoir of player and has to compete with football that is the most popular sport there without even talking about the fact that Slovenia is also solid in handball even hockey and has strong individual performers

I guess mericans are so arrogant they cannot even consider that maybe they have something to learn from a small country having great results in international competitions.

in b4 the thirld world and poverty ball jokes...

spurraider21
01-02-2019, 03:55 PM
if he just said he thinks fundamentals should be drilled into players here at younger ages, that's one thing. throwing in stuff about mixtapes adds an unnecessary racial connotation. cuban should know better tbh.

and it's kind of a dumb point. what's to stop somebody from learning to taunt and make mixtapes and also learn basketball fundamentals. he's saying people need to drop their culture/hobbies that he doesn't like, while that's not mutually exclusive with being a sound basketball player

Arcadian
01-02-2019, 05:46 PM
if he just said he thinks fundamentals should be drilled into players here at younger ages, that's one thing. throwing in stuff about mixtapes adds an unnecessary racial connotation. cuban should know better tbh.

and it's kind of a dumb point. what's to stop somebody from learning to taunt and make mixtapes and also learn basketball fundamentals. he's saying people need to drop their culture/hobbies that he doesn't like, while that's not mutually exclusive with being a sound basketball player

They might not be strictly mutually exclusive, but one is often at the expense of the other. Time spent on practicing reverse dunks could have been spent on a more practical skill, etc.

Chris
01-02-2019, 06:26 PM
I'm a fan of Resistanze tbh.. he is a solid ST contributor but his lack of knowledge of European bb mixed with some silly argumentation are mind blowing

Fact is Slovenia has a very small reservoir of player and has to compete with football that is the most popular sport there without even talking about the fact that Slovenia is also solid in handball even hockey and has strong individual performers

I guess mericans are so arrogant they cannot even consider that maybe they have something to learn from a small country having great results in international competitions.

in b4 the thirld world and poverty ball jokes...

No one in America watches your shitty sport.

Put on some deodorant stinky.

Brazil
01-03-2019, 08:12 AM
No one in America watches your shitty sport.

Put on some deodorant stinky.

look it seems I triggered a Trumptard :lol

u mad bro ?

still working on your % calculation ?