PDA

View Full Version : We desperately need more 3 point shooters

Amuseddaysleeper
12-22-2018, 10:13 PM
This midrange crap is a recipe for failure come playoff time (if the Spurs even make it).

Need at least two more shooters who actually have a reliable shot from downtown. LMA is a brutal signing, and DeRozan is atrocious from downtown

DAF86
12-22-2018, 10:15 PM
We have more than enough 3pts shooters. What we need is getting rid of our inefficient "stars". But that will never happen because "it is more than basketball".

RC_Drunkford
no we don't we got plenty of shooters. We need 3-and-D wings. About 3-4 of them

RD2191
We need to get rid of LMA and his cancerous style of play.

Robz4000
12-22-2018, 10:16 PM
They have plenty of 3 point shooters, it's a system/philosophy issue. Main problems are a lack of 3&D players and LMA being a soft piece of shit that clogs up the offense/can't defend anymore.

Shakril
12-22-2018, 10:16 PM
LMA has to go. Poeltl plays much better with those shooters, more ball movement less stupid iso play.

therealtruth
12-23-2018, 12:07 AM
Actually midrange works best for the playoffs when that's the only shot that's available. Teams lock down the paint and make more effort to run shooters of the line. I remember the Thunder killing us from midrange in the playoffs.

John B
12-23-2018, 12:49 AM
Demar needs to shoot 3. TP learned it. He’d be a beast tbh.

John B
12-23-2018, 12:53 AM
It cannot be any close semblance to “Beautiful Game” unless Demar is a threat on 3 tbh

Slippy
12-23-2018, 01:29 AM
Actually midrange works best for the playoffs when that's the only shot that's available. Teams lock down the paint and make more effort to run shooters of the line. I remember the Thunder killing us from midrange in the playoffs.

I'm amazed how many fans hold the Houston rockets to such high esteem. Once the playoffs starts they will fizzle, Paul won't be healthy and Harden will do his usual pout, blaming the team.

DAF86
12-23-2018, 01:55 AM
I'm amazed how many fans hold the Houston rockets to such high esteem. Once the playoffs starts they will fizzle, Paul won't be healthy and Harden will do his usual pout, blaming the team.

Rockets got closer to beating the Warriors than the Spurs will ever get.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-23-2018, 02:26 AM

THIS

If Paul didn't blow his hamstring up, Rockets would've been NBA champions. I hate their style of play, but to survive in today's league you need to be lethal from outside.

Spurs Homer
12-23-2018, 02:42 AM
One loss on a back to back after winning 7 of 8 - relax.

cd021
12-23-2018, 05:13 AM
I actually think the Spurs have enough shooting. Pop needs to get Bertans more minutes, preferably by starting him over White and Beli needs to continue to not play like trash would also be helpful if White could hit a 3.

Forbes, DDR, Gay and Bertans, LMA
Mills, White, Beli, Poeltl

RC_Drunkford
12-23-2018, 07:27 AM
I actually think the Spurs have enough shooting. Pop needs to get Bertans more minutes, preferably by starting him over White and Beli needs to continue to not play like trash would also be helpful if White could hit a 3.

Forbes, DDR, Gay and Bertans, LMA
Mills, White, Beli, Poeltl

starting Bertans makes sense but it also makes sense to start White and lock down the opposing starting PG. In ideal scenario you start both and Forbes comes off the bench, but then you have the midget backcourt of Mills/Forbes

Raven
12-23-2018, 07:43 AM
we're doing just fine. There's not much you can do, we should make an effort into stealing young busts and modelling them to our liking, but that's a different discussion. Other than that, get Walker in the rotation and the rest is fine.

cd021
12-23-2018, 08:12 AM
starting Bertans makes sense but it also makes sense to start White and lock down the opposing starting PG. In ideal scenario you start both and Forbes comes off the bench, but then you have the midget backcourt of Mills/Forbes

I can see the argument for keeping White in for that reason but Bertans has been too good not to start. He would supercharge the offense while White can still have an impact on defense off the bench.

John B
12-23-2018, 09:54 AM
I really think Demar needs to learn to start shooting 3’s. He’d be a beast. I think he’s very capable. TP was able to. It would balance the offense a lot.

justinandimcool
12-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Inexcusable that Aldridge isn't a sharpshooter from 3 by now.

Brook Lopez, Al Horford, and Marc/Pau Gasol integrated it into their game in like under two years. Even Baynes is out there doing it and he had the worst jumper I've ever seen in 2016

Fat lazy fuck tbh

skookumchuck
12-23-2018, 10:07 AM

Brook Lopez, Al Horford, and Marc/Pau Gasol integrated it into their game in like under two years. Even Baynes is out there doing it and he had the worst jumper I've ever seen in 2016

Fat lazy fuck tbh

But his ceiling is through the roof.

RC_Drunkford
12-23-2018, 12:39 PM
this would make us so much better

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yaf7m8pa

koriwhat
12-23-2018, 02:06 PM
We need to get rid of LMA and his cancerous style of play.

exactly

TD 21
12-23-2018, 06:54 PM
There's no team with more designated snipers in their rotation than this one, which is they lead the league in percentage. They don't need more, what they need is it to come from their stars. You can only get so much volume when it comes from players who play limited minutes and have limited usage.

They need to have a talk with Aldridge and DeRozan and let them know that for this team to be at their best, they need to be willing to ditch the long 2s for 3s. It's not like they're rim running centers and they'd be being asked to drastically change their games.

Being stubborn and trying to win on their terms only further limits this team's ceiling.

coachmac87
12-23-2018, 07:50 PM
There's no team with more designated snipers in their rotation than this one, which is they lead the league in percentage. They don't need more, what they need is it to come from their stars. You can only get so much volume when it comes from players who play limited minutes and have limited usage.

They need to have a talk with Aldridge and DeRozan and let them know that for this team to be at their best, they need to be willing to ditch the long 2s for 3s. It's not like they're rim running centers and they'd be being asked to drastically change their games.

Being stubborn and trying to win on their terms only further limits this team's ceiling.

You can’t force players to be something they’re not. What have you seen that shows LMA and DD could shoot 3’s? It’s just not on their game...they’re more affective doing what they do.

Is it winning formula? Probably not but can’t continue go force a square peg in a round hole

TD 21
12-23-2018, 07:55 PM
Once more, you prove why you'd an idiot and a shameless apologist. Virtually every other prominent scorer from their era on down, who didn't shoot many to begin with, has begun to in recent seasons. It wasn't "their game" either until it became clear as day that it needed to be.

No one is asking Aldridge to go full (Brook) Lopez or DeRozan to be Harden, but to not only refuse to join the chorus, but literally regress, is unacceptable.

timtonymanu
12-23-2018, 07:59 PM

:tu

timtonymanu
12-23-2018, 08:02 PM
Wasn’t Aldridge shooting 3s more in his final year in Portland? And DeRozan was shooting more 3s in Toronto. Some were even excited about them shooting more 3s on this team but it never happened. But we know Coach “It’s not basketball anymore” will keep being stubborn and full of himself to do anything about it.

DAF86
12-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Once more, you prove why you'd an idiot and a shameless apologist. Virtually every other prominent scorer from their era on down, who didn't shoot many to begin with, has begun to in recent seasons. It wasn't "their game" either until it became clear as day that it needed to be.

No one is asking Aldridge to go full (Brook) Lopez or DeRozan to be Harden, but to not only refuse to join the chorus, but literally regress, is unacceptable.

I can see Aldridge trying some more 3's. DeRozan just doesn't have the shooting mechanics for the 3pt range. He looks like a kid putting extra unnatural arm and leg strength just to try and hit rim.

coachmac87
12-23-2018, 08:20 PM

I never said anything about them becoming Lopez or Harden...what a horrible comprehension of what I said lol,

I’m also not being an apologist by saying it’s not in the teams best interest to have DD and LMA to do something they’ve never done.

Your opinion doesn’t matter...I don’t create threads or claim to know more or better than other posters to inflate my internet rep or ego..I just call out BS when I see it and .you spew a lot of it tbh.

timtonymanu
12-23-2018, 08:21 PM

Spurs fans are so arrogant considering how our own roster is constructed the last few years.

TD 21
12-23-2018, 08:37 PM
I can see Aldridge trying some more 3's. DeRozan just doesn't have the shooting mechanics for the 3pt range. He looks like a kid putting extra unnatural arm and leg strength just to try and hit rim.

That's fine, but I'd still rather he revert to his shot chart from last season, when he not coincidentally had his most impactful season.

This is what happens when you don't hold players accountable. The Aldridge situation and Leonard fiasco scared Pop into cow towing to these divas, but DeRozan has a reputation for being one of, if not the least diva-esque stars in the league. If he were amendable to it last season, there's no reason to think he wouldn't be now. Persistence is key.

DAF86
12-23-2018, 09:02 PM
That's fine, but I'd still rather he revert to his shot chart from last season, when he not coincidentally had his most impactful season.

This is what happens when you don't hold players accountable. The Aldridge situation and Leonard fiasco scared Pop into cow towing to these divas, but DeRozan has a reputation for being one of, if not the least diva-esque stars in the league. If he were amendable to it last season, there's no reason to think he wouldn't be now. Persistence is key.

Truth, tbh.

Down Under
12-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Nar they don't, their offense is good. Need a 3 & D forward & our last 3 draft picks should give us at least one, probably two, 2-way guards.

therealtruth
12-24-2018, 03:07 AM

In fact if the Rockets had decided to go for some midrange jumpers in the middle of their 3pt drought in game 7 they likely would have won. That's one area they really missed Paul.

Slippy
12-24-2018, 05:20 AM

Fat lazy fuck tbh

Aaron Baynes. Lol

Seriously , some of you commenting have probably never touched a basketball before. If you play in the post, it's a lot more physically demanding than spotting up for a three. Lamarcus is playing the percentages. Spurs want him to play the percentages. Spurs also want him to be a presence inside because it creates oppotunities for others outside.

Continue the dumb discussion and hate.

San Antonio Slayer
12-24-2018, 07:40 AM
Aaron Baynes. Lol

Seriously , some of you commenting have probably never touched a basketball before. If you play in the post, it's a lot more physically demanding than spotting up for a three. Lamarcus is playing the percentages. Spurs want him to play the percentages. Spurs also want him to be a presence inside because it creates oppotunities for others outside.
Continue the dumb discussion and hate.

I am not a hater but I just dont understand why LMA ignores an option to draw a foul or to make a baby-hook in the zone against a much shorter and lighter defender in the low post. I understand that his fade away is a more higher percentage shot and you will never get blocked if you do fadeaway against a shorter defender but I assess this shot selection a crime especially if you don't make it and if your shorter defender is the opponent's first offensive option (i.e. Harden). And the abovementioned is much less physically demanding than spotting up for three, because you need to take some extra steps to get open.

duncan2k5
12-24-2018, 07:56 AM
Trade LMA and maybe demar... We aren't gonna win with them

HankChinaski
12-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Earlier poster mentions a presence in the paint.

Yes, playing in the paint with the big boys even in this softer version of the league IS Exhausting work. Establishing position and maintaining said position as you work through the defender and position yourself for other players with the ball in their hand to rebound off the glass or to take advantage of said positioning or mismatches or even having the ball run through you for a wing/guard is tiresome. Defending those types in the paint is even more exhausting over time in a game. I don't care how much conditioning you have things like pounding it out in the paint just wrecks havok and you start dealing with tired-legs, shoulders and back aches.

We don't need Aldridge to shoot more threes, the team feels like it is hitting at a high percentage rate. I think it is more consistency regarding the game-plans that have been working. The Rockets game was a single blip on the radar, overall the team is playing much better than a month ago. Rotations are a bit tighter regarding minutes for certain players.

The only thing that is presenting a problem is the team really doesn't have an answer to what to do if one more player with-in the starting line up drops to injury or someone vital in the 2nd unit does as well.

That's where these extended minutes in the games as of late can make someone on the couch nervous and i bet the coaching staff are just mentally holding their breath as the season is beginning to near the halfway mark.

RC_Drunkford
12-25-2018, 08:09 AM
I am not a hater but I just dont understand why LMA ignores an option to draw a foul or to make a baby-hook in the zone against a much shorter and lighter defender in the low post. I understand that his fade away is a more higher percentage shot and you will never get blocked if you do fadeaway against a shorter defender but I assess this shot selection a crime especially if you don't make it and if your shorter defender is the opponent's first offensive option (i.e. Harden). And the abovementioned is much less physically demanding than spotting up for three, because you need to take some extra steps to get open.

Hell no, banging in the post is much more physically exhausting. Fighting for position under the basket against somebody of your own size is a lot of work and there's a ton of contact down low. Also it depends how they defend you, if the defender is trying to prevent you from going middle then you have to go to the fadeaway. LA's fadeaway is basically a lay up if he has his feet in the paint before turning around. The problem of that not falling is him being too far away from the basket at times

offset formation
12-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Trade LMA and maybe demar... We aren't gonna win with them

Dude, just stop. I'm trying to be kind on Christmas.

E20
12-26-2018, 09:01 PM
JR Smith

Slippy
12-31-2018, 03:26 AM
Hell no, banging in the post is much more physically exhausting. Fighting for position under the basket against somebody of your own size is a lot of work and there's a ton of contact down low. Also it depends how they defend you, if the defender is trying to prevent you from going middle then you have to go to the fadeaway. LA's fadeaway is basically a lay up if he has his feet in the paint before turning around. The problem of that not falling is him being too far away from the basket at times

Well put. Banging in the post requires a lot of energy and effort even when resorting to the fadeaway. Bigs that used to live in the post that hang outside are the true softies of the nba. They should be the bigs that give high percentage easy scores inside.

Slippy
12-31-2018, 03:28 AM
Earlier poster mentions a presence in the paint.

Yes, playing in the paint with the big boys even in this softer version of the league IS Exhausting work. Establishing position and maintaining said position as you work through the defender and position yourself for other players with the ball in their hand to rebound off the glass or to take advantage of said positioning or mismatches or even having the ball run through you for a wing/guard is tiresome. Defending those types in the paint is even more exhausting over time in a game. I don't care how much conditioning you have things like pounding it out in the paint just wrecks havok and you start dealing with tired-legs, shoulders and back aches.

We don't need Aldridge to shoot more threes, the team feels like it is hitting at a high percentage rate. I think it is more consistency regarding the game-plans that have been working. The Rockets game was a single blip on the radar, overall the team is playing much better than a month ago. Rotations are a bit tighter regarding minutes for certain players.

The only thing that is presenting a problem is the team really doesn't have an answer to what to do if one more player with-in the starting line up drops to injury or someone vital in the 2nd unit does as well.

That's where these extended minutes in the games as of late can make someone on the couch nervous and i bet the coaching staff are just mentally holding their breath as the season is beginning to near the halfway mark.

Very insightful post.