PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Larry Brown

CitizenDwayne
12-27-2018, 03:38 PM
So today Larry Brown was fired by Italian team Fiat Torino. If this is the end for him, it’ll be an oddly fitting end to a strange career.

What are your guys’ thoughts on him, his legacy, where he ranks among coaches, his time with the Spurs, etc.?

Bynumite
12-27-2018, 04:39 PM
Phil>Larry>>>Poop

Will Hunting
12-27-2018, 04:52 PM
If not for the random, unnecessary shit he did to alienate people and create enemies he’d be maybe the best ever.

Id probably still take him if the goal was to maximize the performance of a team with mostly veteran players for just one single season without giving a shit about what happened beyond that, but his controlling and narcissistic personality made it so the players he coached would get resentful at some point.

DMC
12-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Larry is the best "coach" to ever coach the game imo. He's won at every level and has made basically every team he coached better.

DMC
12-27-2018, 04:57 PM
Phil>Larry>>>Poop

So the Lakers success is because of Phil, not Kobe.

Dverde
12-27-2018, 04:57 PM
So today Larry Brown was fired by Italian team Fiat Torino. If this is the end for him, it’ll be an oddly fitting end to a strange career.

What are your guys’ thoughts on him, his legacy, where he ranks among coaches, his time with the Spurs, etc.?

When I saw this thread, I figured he died. Good for him.

ambchang
12-27-2018, 04:58 PM
Phil>Larry>>>Poop

And yet Duncan was a system player that relied on Pop, and won 5 championships.

Go figure.

ambchang
12-27-2018, 04:59 PM
He was one of the GOAT coaches for sure, in terms of Xs and Os, but he finds a way to shoot himself in the foot by nudging himself into management, making stupid plays, playing favourites (Eric Snow and Derrick Coleman?), and creating resentment overall.

Brilliant basketball mind, horrible manager.

Fabbs
12-27-2018, 09:06 PM
Is this the 1st time he has failed to have a team improve?

spurraider21
12-27-2018, 09:26 PM
one of the true GOATS. did it with different teams in different ways. succeeded at every level. as stubborn as pop but probably not as personable/likeable

Spurtacular
12-28-2018, 05:46 AM
I used to root for LB; but then I realized he's one of the biggest a-holes on the planet and I stopped caring. I don't look at it as a shame. He got more than he deserved; and we reap what we sew. He should've retired and just lived the life, anyways. Going to Italy speaks to a desperation to be important, imo.

Robz4000
12-28-2018, 06:07 AM
one of the true GOATS. did it with different teams in different ways. succeeded at every level. as stubborn as pop but probably not as personable/likeable

spurraider21
12-28-2018, 11:44 AM
Going to Italy speaks to a desperation to be important, imo.
And what does going to China speak to?

:lmao derp

phxspurfan
12-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Larry is like the Bill Parcells of basketball. He has clearly been able to get teams to play winning ball. But to take those same teams over the hump, he has been replaced over and over. Doesn’t detract from his Xs and Os knowledge, just a staying power thing. Maybe he’s not that good at front office/player politics

Will Hunting
12-28-2018, 01:30 PM
Larry is like the Bill Parcells of basketball. He has clearly been able to get teams to play winning ball. But to take those same teams over the hump, he has been replaced over and over. Doesn’t detract from his Xs and Os knowledge, just a staying power thing. Maybe he’s not that good at front office/player politics
When have his teams ever “gotten over the hump” after he’d been replaced? His teams have routinely taken a step back after he left.

rogcl1
12-28-2018, 01:38 PM
I used to root for LB; but then I realized he's one of the biggest a-holes on the planet and I stopped caring. I don't look at it as a shame. He got more than he deserved; and we reap what we sew. He should've retired and just lived the life, anyways. Going to Italy speaks to a desperation to be important, imo.

The guy loved coaching and teaching basketball and instead of sitting on his couch sipping beers he went to Italy and spent time there and continued to do what he loved. Hard to argue with that.

Spurtacular
12-28-2018, 04:26 PM
The guy loved coaching and teaching basketball and instead of sitting on his couch sipping beers he went to Italy and spent time there and continued to do what he loved. Hard to argue with that.

That's the happy face people surely like to put on it. I'm not saying he's not good at what he does though (in the short term).

basquetbol
12-28-2018, 04:39 PM
I'm surprised he didn't quit halfway through the season.

spurraider21
12-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Going to Italy speaks to a desperation to be important, imo.

And what does going to China speak to?

:lmao derp
what say you, derp?

Spurtacular
12-28-2018, 04:47 PM
what say you, derp?

Chump Lite wants some attention.

Kobe'sAchilles
12-28-2018, 04:49 PM
I don't think Larry Brown could coach in today's league tbh. Ironically Nelson would've thrived and probably rung had he been coaching today. But Larry Brown is a perfect example of a band aid coach. He went to teams that had some serious issues going on with it and he bandaged it up for as long as he could, but the team needed surgery and not a band aid so eventually he was let go or quit. But he has done so much for the game and is so smart and great X's and O's that it's kinda sad to see him go out this way. He should've gone out into the sun set on a high note with the league having a day of celebration to honor his achievements as a coach. Instead he went out in typical Larry Brown fashion.

spurraider21
12-28-2018, 05:01 PM
Chump Lite wants some attention.
great fold

benefactor
12-28-2018, 05:05 PM
what say you, derp?
:lol

Spurtacular
12-28-2018, 05:08 PM
great fold

:lol You had to edit your standard Jimmer dig.

Spurtacular
12-28-2018, 05:08 PM
:lol

:lol Cuck Blake alt.

DMC
12-31-2018, 12:38 PM
And yet Duncan was a system player that relied on Pop, and won 5 championships.

Go figure.

Yeah Odomite stepped in his own shit on det one

DMC
12-31-2018, 12:47 PM

1975: Denver Nuggets: ABA Western Division regular season champions
1976: Denver Nuggets: ABA regular season champions (single-division)
1977: Denver Nuggets: NBA Midwest Division Champions
1978: Denver Nuggets: NBA Midwest Division Champions
1980: UCLA: NCAA Championship Game
1984: Kansas: Big Eight Conference Tournament Champions
1986: Kansas: NCAA Final Four & Big Eight Conference & Tournament Champions
1988: Kansas: NCAA National Champions
1990: San Antonio Spurs: NBA Midwest Division Champions
1991: San Antonio Spurs: NBA Midwest Division Champions
1995: Indiana Pacers: NBA Central Division Champions
2001: Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Eastern Conference Champions
2004: Detroit Pistons: NBA Champions
2005: Detroit Pistons: NBA Eastern Conference Champions
2015: SMU Mustangs: American Athletic Conference Champions
College: 1 National Championship, 3 Final Fours in 7 seasons
Pro: 1 Championship, 3 Conference Championships, 10 Division Championships, 18 Playoff appearances in 26 seasons, 1,098 career NBA wins

So what team got over the hump after Larry left?

NY?
Clippers?
Philly?
You could only point to SA but Tim Duncan is a big reason for getting over that hump and Pop is part Larry Brown.

It all goes back (eventually) to Dean Smith (who goes back to Phog Allen and to Naismith himself). Once that lineage of coaches is gone it's going to be straight AAU level monkeyball.

Mr. Body
01-01-2019, 01:00 AM
1975: Denver Nuggets: ABA Western Division regular season champions
1976: Denver Nuggets: ABA regular season champions (single-division)
1977: Denver Nuggets: NBA Midwest Division Champions
1978: Denver Nuggets: NBA Midwest Division Champions
1980: UCLA: NCAA Championship Game
1984: Kansas: Big Eight Conference Tournament Champions
1986: Kansas: NCAA Final Four & Big Eight Conference & Tournament Champions
1988: Kansas: NCAA National Champions
1990: San Antonio Spurs: NBA Midwest Division Champions
1991: San Antonio Spurs: NBA Midwest Division Champions
1995: Indiana Pacers: NBA Central Division Champions
2001: Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Eastern Conference Champions
2004: Detroit Pistons: NBA Champions
2005: Detroit Pistons: NBA Eastern Conference Champions
2015: SMU Mustangs: American Athletic Conference Champions
College: 1 National Championship, 3 Final Fours in 7 seasons
Pro: 1 Championship, 3 Conference Championships, 10 Division Championships, 18 Playoff appearances in 26 seasons, 1,098 career NBA wins

So what team got over the hump after Larry left?

NY?
Clippers?
Philly?
You could only point to SA but Tim Duncan is a big reason for getting over that hump and Pop is part Larry Brown.

It all goes back (eventually) to Dean Smith (who goes back to Phog Allen and to Naismith himself). Once that lineage of coaches is gone it's going to be straight AAU level monkeyball.

That lineage isn't going anywhere. Pop comes from Larry Brown and Pop has a heck of a coaching tree descending from him.