PDA

View Full Version : Considering LMA will be 34 soon and DeRozan is at his prime year...

SpurPadre
12-31-2018, 10:47 PM
and with the team improving its play, should we think about trading BOTH first round picks to give us a shot at really contending? Let's face it, LMA is giving it his all for the second season in a row and will likely have very little left in the tank next season. So, depending on who could be had, it might be something PATFO would want to consider.

Mr. Body
12-31-2018, 10:53 PM
What are you supposed to get with those draft picks?

offset formation
12-31-2018, 10:54 PM
Aldridge takes good care of himself -- eats well, stays in shape during offseason, and he's motivated. He'll be fine for another couple years, especially if they start developing badasses at multiple other positions to where he doesn't have to be a beast night in and night out to win. A defensive unit that puts the hurt on people in the backcourt will also certainly extend his longevity too.

ducks
12-31-2018, 10:55 PM
Could you imagine Murray and white

Blackhaus
12-31-2018, 10:56 PM
Like those 2 picks are going to bring in a third semi star....right

spurs1990
12-31-2018, 10:56 PM
I know the Spurs would never flip players but I’d try to shop Derozan for two or three solid role players. Then you let LA be undisputed first option and have guys like Gay and White contribute playmaking.

Derozan can score but his defense and zero three point ability should be replaced.

marinoman
12-31-2018, 10:57 PM
Just trade a pick and pau for bazemore and be done with it. A few firsts in their 20s wouldn’t get Tobias Harris or something

SpurPadre
12-31-2018, 10:57 PM
What are you supposed to get with those draft picks?

In a package that would have to include Pau and/or Mills,along with both picks, I'm just wondering if that could net us a player that could be a big boost.

Mikeanaro
12-31-2018, 10:59 PM
Not nice.

ducks
12-31-2018, 11:02 PM
Mills and picks for Danny green

MultiTroll
12-31-2018, 11:02 PM
Just the opposite. See what trade offers could be had for LMA now while he is in one of his "on" modes.

I am going on the premise of building another Championship for San Antone.
Don't want more 1st round exits til Popped joins his Warrior friends for the Marketing Olympics.

ducks
12-31-2018, 11:03 PM
Cousins will destroy Gs

Chinook
12-31-2018, 11:06 PM
Is Bazemore an upgrade to White? If not, why would the Spurs trade a pick AND take on what is still bad salary for him? It's easy to justify making a move for a legit defensive SF, but with Derrick playing the way he is, they aren't desperate for a defensive guard now. Something like Beli, Pon and Walker for Covington seems like a better balance of going all in while still actually having a roster that works long term. White (if his shooting goes up to an above-average level), DeRozan, Covington, Gay (or Forbes if White's shooting isn't there) and Aldridge would be one of the top two or three lineups in the West with elite two-way potential. Then you'd still have a dynamic bench. Could see such a team making a deep run, then you'd be able to add Murray to that team and feel comfortable in being able to re-sign everyone for a couple more runs.

8sy21vd
12-31-2018, 11:06 PM
I agree. Go for it! Aldridge is playing at last year's All-NBA level right now and the West is wide open (GS the fav no doubt but they look ready to be taken). I think if they can get a solid 3 (creates O, plays good D and is durable), they should pull the trigger on a deal. Rudy + a shooter (Marco, Forbes, Bertrans or Mills > I WISH! + one of the 1st round picks might get somebody at fringe All-Star. Jaylen Brown? lol.

I think they're one piece from being a serious contender right now.

SpurPadre
12-31-2018, 11:08 PM
Is Bazemore an upgrade to White? If not, why would the Spurs trade a pick AND take on what is still bad salary for him? It's easy to justify making a move for a legit defensive SF, but with Derrick playing the way he is, they aren't desperate for a defensive guard now. Something like Beli, Pon and Walker for Covington seems like a better balance of going all in while still actually having a roster that works long term. White (if his shooting goes up to an above-average level), DeRozan, Covington, Gay (or Forbes if White's shooting isn't there) and Aldridge would be one of the top two or three lineups in the West with elite two-way potential. Then you'd still have a dynamic bench. Could see such a team making a deep run, then you'd be able to add Murray to that team and feel comfortable in being able to re-sign everyone for a couple more runs.

How about Porter if not Covington?

Chinook
12-31-2018, 11:13 PM
How about Porter if not Covington?

More of a sacrifice, both in terms of what the team would have to trade to get him and what they'd have to do to keep his salary for the next two years. He'd cost fewer assets though (like Pau, Beli, Pondexter and the Toronto pick might be enough), so the team could balance out the long-term concerns with cheaper role-players. I'd still look to do it, but it's not a no-brainer like almost any deal for Covington is.

RD2191
12-31-2018, 11:14 PM
Nah fam, the west is wide open. The spurs can make some noise if they get hot at the right time. Besides, we've kicked the tires on an lma trade before and got shit offers. It's too late for that, you ride with what you got.

marinoman
12-31-2018, 11:16 PM
I have him coming off the bench as a sg/sf. Derozan is playing lots of minutes so a relief with a defensive playmaker is worth it imo

Seventyniner
12-31-2018, 11:17 PM

The Wolves have a ways to fall before they would part with a big piece of their Butler package. I bet they will keep thinking they're a playoff team for a while yet. Maybe if they're in 13th or 14th and way behind 8th by the trade deadline.

marinoman
12-31-2018, 11:23 PM
I thought Covington isn’t allowed to be traded again this year. Pretty sure he can’t be on any trade package

bklynspursfan
12-31-2018, 11:23 PM
I know the Spurs would never flip players but I’d try to shop Derozan for two or three solid role players. Then you let LA be undisputed first option and have guys like Gay and White contribute playmaking.

Derozan can score but his defense and zero three point ability should be replaced.

DeMar is the best playmaker on this team, and a guy who can score many ways, + get to the line. His 3 point shooting is a not a big deal, we're still one of the best offensive teams/most efficient 3 point shooting team.

He gets our shooters great looks, and has shown signs of playing with more effort/awareness defensively lately. Getting steals, deflections, contesting shots, etc...

FkLA
12-31-2018, 11:25 PM
I'm hoping Dallas starts sucking again and starts looking to ship out Barnes/Mathews to give Doncic as many touches as possible. I'd take either one of them, tbh.

FkLA
12-31-2018, 11:27 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/Pgy4Na8aRyBuE/giphy.gif

$pursDynasty
12-31-2018, 11:37 PM
Patty and 2 2nd rounders for Josh Richardson. With the Dragon injured they need a PG.

marinoman
12-31-2018, 11:43 PM
Let’s just throw ideas out there and have chinook be the judge
Bellineli + pau+ Firsts for Tobias Harris and boban

Spurs fever
12-31-2018, 11:48 PM
Nah fam, the west is wide open. The spurs can make some noise if they get hot at the right time. Besides, we've kicked the tires on an lma trade before and got shit offers. It's too late for that, you ride with what you got. I think this is right.

gambit1990
12-31-2018, 11:52 PM
the west really isn’t wide open just because the standings are as close as they are tbh.

tbdog
01-01-2019, 12:05 AM
I thought Covington isn’t allowed to be traded again this year. Pretty sure he can’t be on any trade package

Can only be traded for a one for one deal. How you get around it is also do a second trade involving other players. But the orginal one on one trade must have salaries matching within the rules.

jmard5
01-01-2019, 12:17 AM
The team is starting to click and finding its rhythm. No issues in the locker room either. As LMA said, it's now a brotherhood. Why break it up?

SpurPadre
01-01-2019, 12:42 AM
The team is starting to click and finding its rhythm. No issues in the locker room either. As LMA said, it's now a brotherhood. Why break it up?

Because it still isn't good enough to contend.

RC_Drunkford
01-01-2019, 01:02 AM
no breaking the team up. Keep the 9 rotation players + Walker and try to get a 3-and-D SF. That means move Gasol + filler. Bazemore, Porter, Carroll and Stanley Johnson should be available, maybe Covington. See which one you can get and if you have to throw in the Toronto pick do it. If Gay goes down we are left with 8 rotation players, this team right now goes 9 deep. As soon as you have to play one of the other 5 players on the team it creates problems. We have to be 10 deep for the Playoffs.

Chinook
01-01-2019, 01:10 AM

The rule isn't for the whole season. It's just for two months. That period would end in less than two weeks.

Can only be traded for a one for one deal. How you get around it is also do a second trade involving other players. But the orginal one on one trade must have salaries matching within the rules.

You don't need a one-for-one, even within the 60-day limit. Minny isn't allowed to add salary to Covington to let them take back someone. The Spurs would be able to aggregate as many players as they want to.

Chinook
01-01-2019, 01:12 AM
no breaking the team up. Keep the 9 rotation players + Walker and try to get a 3-and-D SF. That means move Gasol + filler. Bazemore, Porter, Carroll and Stanley Johnson should be available, maybe Covington. See which one you can get and if you have to throw in the Toronto pick do it. If Gay goes down we are left with 8 rotation players, this team right now goes 9 deep. As soon as you have to play one of the other 5 players on the team it creates problems. We have to be 10 deep for the Playoffs.

The tier list is:

Covington

Porter

Everyone else

They aren't interchangeable. Only the top two guys are worth trading a pick and rotation players. Guys like Stanley Johnson just don't make sense for anything more than like Pon and Metu or Cun and a second.

Spurs da champs
01-01-2019, 01:48 AM
I'd rather the Spurs take a chance to see if they can find their next Danny Green type find from the G League then trade for a ridiculous contract like Porters or Bazemores' (not too mention he's tiny for the position). They have to see what they have in Ben Moore 1st imo.

skookumchuck
01-01-2019, 02:20 AM
The tier list is:

Covington

Porter

Everyone else

They aren't interchangeable. Only the top two guys are worth trading a pick and rotation players. Guys like Stanley Johnson just don't make sense for anything more than like Pon and Metu or Cun and a second.

Who would want Pon and Cun though? With Metu there's atleast an honest chance of some team biting, but the former 2 are fillers in a salary dump scenario at the very very best.

sasaint
01-01-2019, 02:26 AM
and with the team improving its play, should we think about trading BOTH first round picks to give us a shot at really contending? Let's face it, LMA is giving it his all for the second season in a row and will likely have very little left in the tank next season. So, depending on who could be had, it might be something PATFO would want to consider.

I would disagree that LMA is giving it his all this season. But iff you think LMA will have very little left in the tank next season, why hang on to him? Trade him now.

MoSpur02
01-01-2019, 03:09 AM
If you can get Bazemore then do it. While you're at it get Dedmon too.

monty4329
01-01-2019, 06:23 AM

Nobody is making the Spurs this year good enough to contend with GS in the playoffs. Or Houston. Or LA if they trade for AD (difficult but still possible).

Seriously, it is January, GS hasn't yet started playing and they are #2. By April they will be kicking butts again.

The core is good, a couple summer trades plus Murray, this team will be solid good next year -it already is a playoff team.
The way the NBA is structured now, there is no way to really "contend" in a small market, no superstar FA will sign. And you need two of those to just sniff "contention".

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-01-2019, 06:53 AM
There isn't a trade or two that can turn them into contenders but they're having as good a transitional year as you could imagine given the injuries. With Muray, White, Walker and Forbes they have a solid backcourt for the future with the potential to develop one or two into real difference makers. Bertans and Poeltl in the frontcourt is OK too, so they have pieces and it's important to develop them. LMA, Gay and DeRozan aren't going to win the Spurs a championship but they're helping the young guys develop by taking some of the pressure off of them and being competitive in general, which is better than developing while getting blown out every game like Phoenix or Chicago or Atlanta or many other teams in such a position, so the vets are valuable to the team in this sense. I don't think they'll trade either of them.

That said, I think they'll look to make a trade using one of the first round picks, even both if there's a decent player available that they could add to the future core. Barring trades, they have 11 players with guaranteed money on the roster for next season and will very likely keep Gay too. Gasol's situation is still a question. I think it's unlikely that they'd want to add two more rookies. Besides, it seems this rookie class is looked on as quite weak outside of the first couple of picks ( I've no idea whether it's true, don't watch and don't know college basketball ).

Gasol's situation with his unguaranteed contract is interesting. He'll have more value at the draft than at the trade deadline because if I'm not mistaken ( Chinook can confirm? ) he'd still be able to be traded at his current year's salary and not only the guaranteed portion of it and it'd allow a team that's desperate to clear cap space right before FA kicks off ( Knicks? ). At the trade deadline expirings would be more valuable than Pau's contract, but by draft time there'll be only a handful of big unguaranteed contracts ( Pau, Favors, JR Smith, Hill - if not traded before that ) that'd be able to help teams clear additional cap space immediately.

exstatic
01-01-2019, 09:26 AM
There isn't a trade or two that can turn them into contenders but they're having as good a transitional year as you could imagine given the injuries. With Muray, White, Walker and Forbes they have a solid backcourt for the future with the potential to develop one or two into real difference makers. Bertans and Poeltl in the frontcourt is OK too, so they have pieces and it's important to develop them. LMA, Gay and DeRozan aren't going to win the Spurs a championship but they're helping the young guys develop by taking some of the pressure off of them and being competitive in general, which is better than developing while getting blown out every game like Phoenix or Chicago or Atlanta or many other teams in such a position, so the vets are valuable to the team in this sense. I don't think they'll trade either of them.

That said, I think they'll look to make a trade using one of the first round picks, even both if there's a decent player available that they could add to the future core. Barring trades, they have 11 players with guaranteed money on the roster for next season and will very likely keep Gay too. Gasol's situation is still a question. I think it's unlikely that they'd want to add two more rookies. Besides, it seems this rookie class is looked on as quite weak outside of the first couple of picks ( I've no idea whether it's true, don't watch and don't know college basketball ).

Gasol's situation with his unguaranteed contract is interesting. He'll have more value at the draft than at the trade deadline because if I'm not mistaken ( Chinook can confirm? ) he'd still be able to be traded at his current year's salary and not only the guaranteed portion of it and it'd allow a team that's desperate to clear cap space right before FA kicks off ( Knicks? ). At the trade deadline expirings would be more valuable than Pau's contract, but by draft time there'll be only a handful of big unguaranteed contracts ( Pau, Favors, JR Smith, Hill - if not traded before that ) that'd be able to help teams clear additional cap space immediately.
If pau’s not traded by the deadline, SA can only take back salary equal to the guaranteed portion on his next season salary. His trade value vanishes. They’ve closed a lot of loopholes in the most recent CBA.

UZER
01-01-2019, 09:48 AM
If pau’s not traded by the deadline, SA can only take back salary equal to the guaranteed portion on his next season salary. His trade value vanishes. They’ve closed a lot of loopholes in the most recent CBA.

Except blatant tampering.

cjw
01-01-2019, 10:10 AM
On trading DDR: no, no and no. Ballhandling, distribution and scoring all take a huge hit without him. Plus you don’t trade an All NBA player with whom things are generally working out within half a year of trading for him unless it’s a video game. Piss off fans and show zero loyalty to players.

I’m fine trading one of the two picks but not both. The young core has gone from being barren to pretty exciting in just a few months (assuming Murray comes back strong and even improves). We haven’t even seen Walker yet, and Poeltl and White are at worst very good rotation guys. So you can afford to push in some chips with a Gasol or Mills and try to bring back a better fit with this roster.

Either that, or use the two picks to try to move up in the draft next June. Assuming LMA doesn’t fall off a cliff, this team will be better next year with healthy Murray and flipping Gasol’s partial guarantee for something that fits the team better (don’t get me wrong ... I think Gasol has been better than others say, but Poeltl makes him redundant, especially if Nikola ever shows up).

Chinook
01-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Thank you, X. That is correct. Pau's value doesn't completely go down next year, because he will likely be just as easy if not even more easy to dump once teams get into next summer. But he won't have the same power to bring back a difference-maker than he does this year.

sananspursfan21
01-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Big guys tend to stay effective a little longer than the little guys. Don’t depend on their speed and agility as much. In fact, that’s probably part of why Aldridge is able to play at such a high level. I mean, I’m all for doing whatever it takes to get in a position to potentially ring, but I don’t know if it’s threat level midnight 11th hour must trade for another major piece situation. Maybe, maybe not.

Mugen
01-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Why the hell would you trade for Lonnie for Covington? i'm fine with any combo of Beli, Bryn, Pau or one of the 2019 firsts but Lonnie might have the highest ceiling out of their 3 young backourt guys. You don't trade him away without knowing what you fully have so you can get bounced in the 2nd round.

Chinook
01-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Why the hell would you trade for Lonnie for Covington? i'm fine with any combo of Beli, Bryn, Pau or one of the 2019 firsts but Lonnie might have the highest ceiling out of their 3 young backourt guys. You don't trade him away without knowing what you fully have so you can get bounced in the 2nd round.

I loved the Lonnie pick and was on the hype train before almost anyone else, but the dude isn't Doncic or anything. Trading him for arguably the best role-player in the league is not a bad deal. Of course there's a (shrinking) chance that Walker is a star, but that's why he has value in the first place. There's a better chance that he doesn't become as good, and then what do you do? Don't make him another Hickson/Beaubois

Mugen
01-01-2019, 11:34 AM
I loved the Lonnie pick and was on the hype train before almost anyone else, but the dude isn't Doncic or anything. Trading him for arguably the best role-player in the league is not a bad deal. Of course there's a (shrinking) chance that Walker is a star, but that's why he has value in the first place. There's a better chance that he doesn't become as good, and then what do you do? Don't make him another Hickson/Beaubois

It's not either he becomes a star or he's not good, there's some middle ground and I think there's a pretty good chance he becomes a better player than Covington in 2-3 years. Sure maybe the timeline doesnt line up with DD/LMA but i don't think the difference between Covington and Porter in the Spurs system is that significant, not enough to trade away their highest pick since Leonard IMO at least.

You move him if you have concerns about his long-term health but I think you have to give him another summer league and training camp before making the call on him this early into his career.

look_at_g_shred
01-01-2019, 11:50 AM
But but...we weren’t supposed to this year anyway...

CGD
01-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Dammare Carrol would be my pick, but not sure what marginal asset the Nets would want from the Spurs. It doesn’t appear they’re doing a buyout at this point.

RC_Drunkford
01-01-2019, 12:47 PM
The tier list is:

Covington

Porter

Everyone else

I know that. Not everybody on the list is worth a pick but it depends on the overall package. I doubt that Covington is available though and there's no way I'd trade Walker for any of these

spurs1990
01-01-2019, 02:06 PM
DeMar is the best playmaker on this team, and a guy who can score many ways, + get to the line. His 3 point shooting is a not a big deal, we're still one of the best offensive teams/most efficient 3 point shooting team.

He gets our shooters great looks, and has shown signs of playing with more effort/awareness defensively lately. Getting steals, deflections, contesting shots, etc...

Appreciate your analysis. Admittedly I’ve only seen five or six complete games and others I catch snippets off streaming or YouTube but from that it seemed Derozan was an iso ball devotee.

But if he’s creating room for the others then that changes my tune on him.

Millennial_Messiah
01-01-2019, 02:59 PM
This isn't the NFL where you can trade 2 firsts for an established superstar......

jjktkk
01-01-2019, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't trade both 1st round picks, but maybe one of the 1st rounders along with Pau, Patty, or some other combination of vet. players for a established 3 and D wing, starting caliber.

SpurPadre
01-01-2019, 04:31 PM
This isn't the NFL where you can trade 2 firsts for an established superstar......

That's not what anyone is implying. A package of players obviously needs to be included with those picks.

smaka
01-01-2019, 04:36 PM
I'm hoping Dallas starts sucking again and starts looking to ship out Barnes/Mathews to give Doncic as many touches as possible. I'd take either one of them, tbh.

No thanks, two selfish players who think they are way better rhat they really are.

FkLA
01-01-2019, 04:44 PM
No thanks, two selfish players who think they are way better rhat they really are.

Oh god another Slovenian Doncic homer. They shouldn't shoot unless Doncic gives them permission. :rolleyes

emanueldavidginobili
01-01-2019, 05:18 PM
A lot of talk about getting a 3&D player which I completely agree but there is a ZERO percent chance PATFO makes a roster move this season, especially now that this team is coming along. I wish they would make a move this season but we will have to wait until atleast the offseason imo.

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Most people, including myself, were saying tank merely a month and a half back. However, with Brynt and White both rapidly becoming better players and LaMarcus and DeRozan playing outstanding ball, this team should just keep what they have for the year.

TD 21
01-01-2019, 05:30 PM
They need to turn Gasol into some sort of young, controllable SF; otherwise there's no point in having this core. Might as well rebuild if they're not going to give them their best chance at making a few runs.

I see the same, old named being mentioned. Again, the need is a big wing . . .

- Bazemore can't credibly defend those types and there are 7 other perimeter players on this team that need minutes next season.

- Carroll is too gimpy at this point and couldn't credibly defend James when he wasn't.

- Covington would be near ideal, but a Timberwolves team trying to win isn't giving him up for a prospects and/or picks.

The only semi-conceivable trade where giving up both 1sts could make sense, is for Prince. Probably a long shot, but Schlenk didn't draft him and he's almost 25. Checks as many conceivable boxes as realistically possible.

Mugen
01-01-2019, 05:41 PM
Probably a < 5% chance that Pau gets moved by the deadline considering Pop/RC treat him like Timmy in how much respect he gets from the organization. Keeping him on the roster and trying to shoehorn him in the rotation will have a pretty negative impact on the team but primarily on Jakob's development. Hoping they pull a RJ and trade him as soon as he has a decent game but I really doubt it because of a) not sure what realistic trades are out there b) the aforementioned affinity for Gasol

I'd rather they come to a buyout agreement if they cant move him, thats how much I think him being in the rotation will negatively impact the team...

Pavlov
01-01-2019, 05:43 PM
A lot of talk about getting a 3&D player which I completely agree but there is a ZERO percent chance PATFO makes a roster move this season, especially now that this team is coming along. I wish they would make a move this season but we will have to wait until atleast the offseason imo.Probably true unless there's some big losing streak and/or disgruntled player(s). We're going to have to squint and see White as the Spurs' 3&D guy and hope the bigger perimeter players can be covered by some platoon of their 6'7" - 6'8" players. The long shot is that Ben Moore develops into an SF or Huestis recovers without losing his athleticism, either one replacing an end of bench slot as a situational defender.

TD 21
01-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Probably a < 5% chance that Pau gets moved by the deadline considering Pop/RC treat him like Timmy in how much respect he gets from the organization. Keeping him on the roster and trying to shoehorn him in the rotation will have a pretty negative impact on the team but primarily on Jakob's development. Hoping they pull a RJ and trade him as soon as he has a decent game but I really doubt it because of a) not sure what realistic trades are out there b) the aforementioned affinity for Gasol

I'd rather they come to a buyout agreement if they cant move him, thats how much I think him being in the rotation will negatively impact the team...

I'd imagine they'll want to do right by him. Having a 38.5 year old future Hall of Famer, whose still easily a rotation caliber player, spending a half season of his twilight riding the pine, is unbecoming. Especially considering this only came about because of scumbag.

For that reason + the state of the conference/league, I actually think this is the rare time they'll look to make an in season trade; to alleviate the awkwardness (similar to Jefferson). Wouldn't surprise me if they already had this conversation with him. Otherwise, his so far good soldier act, is out of character.

smaka
01-02-2019, 04:56 AM
Oh god another Slovenian Doncic homer. They shouldn't shoot unless Doncic gives them permission. :rolleyes

Luka is already way better than those two, like it or not. :lol at your lol Doncic thread :lol

Shakril
01-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Also this trade talks are bogus.

You will never get a decent value for LMA because of his age, also noone takes the likes of Pau, Cunningham, etc. because everyone knows they are garbage.
Also trading for demar makes no sense. He is still an Allstar in his prime. I would rather see how this team plays + Murray.

FkLA
01-02-2019, 01:58 PM
Even though he was a pro (underwhelmed but a pro nontheless) Pop hated RJ for whatever reason. I want them to but I doubt they're as willing to part with Gasol as they were with RJ. Definitely won't buy him out.

FkLA
01-02-2019, 02:01 PM
Luka is already way better than those two, like it or not. :lol at your lol Doncic thread :lol

Sure but that doesn't mean they wouldn't help the Spurs. We couldn't trade for Doncic obviously and his skillset isn't a major need anyway.