PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Celtics - Dec. 31, 2018

timvp
01-01-2019, 03:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/jUo0dnd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Vc72SSM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KnwTZah.jpg

Last time out, the Spurs had a quality win out on the road against the Clippers. Tonight, the good guys backed it up with a 120-111 victory over the Celtics in the Alamo City.

Things didn't start out swimmingly for San Antonio. The Spurs offense sputtered for much of the first half, as they scored only 46 points in the first two quarters -- including a paltry 17 points in the opening period.

At halftime, Pop reportedly tore into his team. Whatever the head coach said was apparently well-received because the Spurs exploded in the third quarter to the tune of 46 points. That's the most San Antonio has scored in a quarter in over 25 years.

During the 46-point outburst, the Spurs went on a 16-0 run to put them up by 14 points with three minutes remaining in the third. San Antonio entered the fourth quarter with a 10-point lead and the Celtics were never able to make a serious run; whenever Boston would get any type of momentum and trim the deficit to eight or nine points, the Spurs almost always respond with a timely three-pointer.

There's no way to put it other than to say this was another great win against a formidable opponent. The Spurs couldn't buy a bucket early, kept at it, kept chipping away at the rock and were eventually rewarded with a hot shooting streak that blew the doors off of the AT&T Center.

-------------

LaMarcus Aldridge
https://i.imgur.com/1nluyNF.png
Beast. This might have been LaMarcus Aldridge's most impressive game of the season, all things considered. He started off the game missing his first seven attempts from the field, including numerous easy looks. But instead of putting his head down, he upped his physicality and tenacity to put together a remarkable showing. Aldridge hit 13 of his final 16 shots from the field, passed the ball well, rebounded with vigor and defended the paint as stingily as he has all season. Once he got going, it didn't matter what type of defense the Celtics threw at him -- Aldridge was simply too determined to be denied. Let's hope he has more games like this as the season progresses.
Grade: A+
Summary: This was one of Aldridge's best games.

-------------

DeMar DeRozan
https://i.imgur.com/ZKxGADZ.png
This was a tale of two halves for DeMar DeRozan. In the first half, it looked like he was distracted by the next game on the schedule. The Celtics aggressive defense was suffocating him and DeRozan was wilting without putting up too much of a fight. He shot attempts were feeble and he was missing wide open teammates left and right. After Pop's stern talking to at half, DeRozan flipped a switch. He suddenly started playing with a mean streak. In the second half, he was taking the ball to the hole with ferocity and broke Boston's D. If he wasn't able to finish at the rim, DeRozan was busying handing out one of his eight second half assists. With the Celtics loading up the strongside with defenders, his ability to find three-point shooters on the weakside was key (six of DeRozan's ten assists led to three-pointers). Defensively, he was active and did reasonably well in one-on-one situations. His rebounding was again a plus.
Grade: B-
Summary: DeRozan overcame a poor first half to post a dominant showing in the second half.

-------------

Bryn Forbes
https://i.imgur.com/yXVIEAs.png
With Rudy Gay out with an injured wrist and the rotation shortened, Bryn Forbes ended up playing a game-high and season-high 38 minutes. He did what we've come to expect: put points on the board (this was his seventh straight game in double-digits), space the floor with his shooting (also his seventh straight game with at least two three-pointers), play hard and compete on defense. While the effort was there on D, Forbes had trouble against penetration and he had a few mental mistakes along the way ... but he played pretty well,overall.
Grade: B
Summary: Forbes was rock solid.

-------------

Derrick White
https://i.imgur.com/IrTA2dV.png
Wow. Derrick White came out with an attacking mentality on offense with the idea of making Kyrie Irving work on defense. After scoring nine points in the first half to help keep the offense afloat, White scored San Antonio's first seven points of the second half to help spark the 46-point quarter. Most of his scoring came off the drive, as he flashed a really good touch in the paint. Over the last eight games, White is averaging 10 points per game on 53.4% shooting from the floor, 38.9% shooting from three-point land and 84.6% shooting at the line. In addition to his career-high 22 points, the second year guard out of Colorado continues to impress with his court vision and passing. But, really, where White makes the most difference is on defense. He has an extremely high basketball IQ on the defensive end and is deceptively quick and explosive off of his feet. On this night, he made life difficult for Irving. Very difficult. White switched off on to a variety of other players and usually did well for himself. I'd already classify him as a good defensive player on the NBA level ... and he's just starting to scratch the surface of his potential. (It looked like White rolled his ankle in the second half but he was able to keep playing -- let's hope, really hope, he's okay.)
Grade: A+
Summary: Was it a coming out party for White? That's fair to say.

-------------

Jakob Poeltl
https://i.imgur.com/FUIlW00.png
Jakob Poeltl was moved in to the starting lineup in place of the injured Gay. His offense rebounding was a strength, per usual. He boxed out well on the defensive glass. His passing was outstanding, as evident by his career-high-tying five assists. Interestingly, he was actually playing power forward with Aldridge remaining at center. That resulted in Poeltl having to defend Marcus Morris. That was a challenge, to say the least, because the big Austrian isn't accustomed to wading into the deep water out on the perimeter. That said, he appeared to be capable at times. He moved his feet well enough and appeared coordinated enough that playing Poeltl at power forward is something the coaching staff should continue to experiment with. Against the Celtics, it didn't work defensively and the offense with two bigs continues to be really ugly (it didn't help that Poeltl was missing bunnies) for the most part. But, again, I believe it's worth the experimentation.
Grade: C+
Summary: Poeltl struggled but exhibited some promise.

-------------

Davis Bertans
https://i.imgur.com/ucY2jSF.png
Davis Bertans was letting it fly. That turned out to be a very good idea. When he had daylight, Bertans let it fly. When he didn't have daylight, Bertans sometimes still let it fly by utilizing his high, quick release. After missing seven straight three-pointers over the course of three games, Bertans snapped out of the cold streak by hitting five of his final six three-point attempts against the Celtics. In addition to his three-point shooting, Bertans attacked off the dribble with a moderate amount of success. Defensively and on the boards, he was better than usual. However, he had a couple bad fouls and missed a couple rotations.
Grade: A-
Summary: Bertans raining it down from three-point land was key.

-------------

Marco Belinelli
https://i.imgur.com/hP9vIFY.png
Marco Belinelli played with more energy than usual today. I wouldn't say he played good defense but he wasn't quite the sieve he usually is on that end. On offense, he hit only one of his four field goal attempts but still aided the cause by getting to the line in addition to making plays with his movement and his passes (Belinelli was actually the only bench player to go to the line or tally an assist). This is proof that he can still be a positive even when his shots aren't falling as long as he plays hard and has sane shot-selection.
Summary: Belinelli helped out.

-------------

Patty Mills
https://i.imgur.com/gTa4B5z.png
Well, it's good that Patty Mills scored in double-figures for the first time in nine games. But for the most part, I didn't think Mills was helpful. He was timid when handling the ball against pressure, he wasn't making plays (yet still turned it over twice), his clock management was poor and his energy on the defensive end was iffy at best. What saved his evening was a five and a half minute stretch beginning near the end of the third quarter that saw him score all 11 of his points on 4-for-4 shooting from the field, including 3-for-3 from deep. The Spurs still need Mills to play better for longer stretches -- this is the second straight game Mills was sub par outside of a small window.
Grade: C+
Summary: Mills wasn't good and then got hot.

-------------

Pau Gasol
https://i.imgur.com/oF0jVre.png
Welcome back, Pau Gasol. The Spaniard played his first game since Nov. 4 against the Magic. The team's best rebounder got right back to it. But other than his work on the glass, I wasn't impressed. Gasol was glacially slow on help defense and labored when changing ends of the court. Disappointingly, I also witnessed some bad body language when Gasol felt like he wasn't getting adequate touches. He needs to realize that the bench no longer need to rely on him quarterbacking the team from the top of the key. All that said, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since this was his return after a long break and it's not surprising that the 38-year-old was out of rhythm and stiffer than usual.
Grade: Inc.
Summary: Gasol was back in silver and black.

-------------

Dante Cunningham
https://i.imgur.com/W3QWUCI.png
I flinched when Dante Cunningham was called upon ... but he did well. He brought some muscle to the defensive glass, ran the court hard and was generally playing like an enforcer during his short stint.
Grade: Inc.
Summary: Cunningham wasn't friendly.

-------------

Pop
https://i.imgur.com/x7B1It7.jpg
This was a strangely coached game. Going with Poeltl at power forward was ... interesting ... but it didn't really work (although I appreciate the attempt). Putting Gasol back in the rotation didn't help matters but give Pop credit for going away from it in the second half. I didn't love Cunningham getting important second half minutes but it ended up working out okay. I liked that Pop leaned on Bertans but I thought White should have played more. Going with a lineup of Mills, Forbes, Belinelli, Cunningham and Poeltl in the fourth quarter was brave but I could die a happy Spurs fan if I don't see that fivesome on the court during meaningful minutes again.
Summary: Pop was in an experimental mode tonight.

Looking ahead: It's the game we've all been waiting for.

Get it.

spurs10
01-01-2019, 04:07 AM
Great grades! This was my favorite win so far. To start out like that and just keep 'pounding the rock' was classic. White and LMA should take a bow! A wonderful night of basketball and a great warm-up for Thursday!
"Get it." Damn right!
:flag:

Manu&Duncan fan
01-01-2019, 04:14 AM
Thanks Timvp! Agree with everything you said. Hope White's ankle will be ok.

tbdog
01-01-2019, 04:37 AM
Just on Gasol body language when he didn't get touches. I saw it too but not under the same light. Gasol was displeased with Forbes and imo deservingly so. Forbes came off a 3pt curl and let it fly when Gasol was in great post position with an easy, risk free entry pass. It was not a good shot and Forbes clanked it. Gasol was not in rebounding position and Gasol let Forbes know that he had to make the entry pass.

TE
01-01-2019, 04:48 AM
Good.

fuck yeah, it’s the game we’ve been waiting for.

DAF86
01-01-2019, 04:52 AM
I'm just back from the club. Go Spurs go. Thanks timvp. Fuck every other team on the league. Especially Leonard, who isn't a team but fuck him anyways.

spursparker9
01-01-2019, 05:02 AM
Spurs can don't make the playoffs or whatsoever.

This season is a success if Spurs can beat Nephew 2 out of 2. But I am only afraid that he sat out for both games.

objective
01-01-2019, 05:11 AM
For me White's current surge started with the Houston game.

For one, the three games before against PHI, MIN, and ORL were just uncompetitive blowouts that were basically over at halftime.

Secondly, Houston was the first game of a current 5 game streak of at least one made three pointer. Before that he had only 2 makes in 10 games, shooting 13% over there 10 games. In the current 5 game streak he's shooting 50% from 3.

Third, the Houston game is where I thought his defense went from good/above average to really, really good. He seriously interrupted Harden's flow and his playmaking until the very end when the stepbacks happened. I said in the game thread that night and still believe that if he had his minutes matched to Harden the Spurs win that game.

After that his defense has been very good and he's had to defend the best the other team's had to offer. The Houston game was also the start of a 5 game streak of at least 2 combined steals/blocks per game.

r0drig0lac
01-01-2019, 06:35 AM
-Two games in a row of Aldridge 2017/18 and Spurs look scary;

-White three good all around games in a row, but for the first time he looked like the best pg / sg of the team, was like Manu Ginobili on court today;

-Bertans doing what Bertans does.

Robz4000
01-01-2019, 07:02 AM
I'm just back from the club. Go Spurs go. Thanks timvp. Fuck every other team on the league. Especially Leonard, who isn't a team but fuck him anyways.

Agreed, fuck Nephew.

Great grades timvp. Don't usually post in them but I do read them. Really glad to have you back doing them; just not the same when anyone else does it.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Gordon Hayward A+

Looks like Chandler Parsons. I don't like the Celtics but hopefully he can recover from that injury.

Strategic
01-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Thanks for putting down the bubbly long enough to put this together.

XDT76
01-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Timvp I think you had to give Pop a break. Gay was out and Cunningham filling in at PF is not consider good thus Pop had to try using different lineup. Probably he wanted to keep the Bertans, Mills and Bellineli lineup together. If Gay is not back on 3 Jan, I struggle to see a good starting 5 against the Raptors.

playbonner15
01-01-2019, 08:53 AM
Beli should get at least a B+ just for slapping Kyrie

MoSpur02
01-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Gracias TJ y Feliz Año Nuevo.

I can't disagree with these grades. It was a good win. Despite a poor first half, the Spurs kept themselves in the game with their defense. Super excited about White's game lately. I will be honest and say I didn't expect him to be this good. I had hope, but didn't expect it.

Ruler
01-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Hey TimVP, thanks for the grades. I read every single one and it’s the equivalent of having dessert after a nice dinner to read this after games. Very good work

emanueldavidginobili
01-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Never in my wildest dreams did I think White would be this good defensively. His instincts and his ability to anticipate the players next move is off the charts for someone whose been defending NBA players for less than a year. He went 8-9 last night and Brad Stevens didn’t say a thing about his offense but touched on his defense.

"Defensively, I thought he was great. He provided a good presence on whoever he was guarding, and from watching him getting ready for this game, you could tell that it's typical. He has made great strides as a second-year player."

8FOR!3
01-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Just on Gasol body language when he didn't get touches. I saw it too but not under the same light. Gasol was displeased with Forbes and imo deservingly so. Forbes came off a 3pt curl and let it fly when Gasol was in great post position with an easy, risk free entry pass. It was not a good shot and Forbes clanked it. Gasol was not in rebounding position and Gasol let Forbes know that he had to make the entry pass.

Yeah I don't really have a problem with Gasol trying to tell the young guys to make the right play. He's been in the league long enough and accomplished enough I think any player respects something like that he's say.

Mugen
01-01-2019, 10:39 AM
:lol Pau yelling at Bryn during the 2nd quarter cuz he didn't get the ball....while I appreciate the sentiment of yelling at Forbes, I really hope the Spurs can move Pau for a 3/D wing by the deadline.

XDT76
01-01-2019, 11:10 AM
:lol Pau yelling at Bryn during the 2nd quarter cuz he didn't get the ball....while I appreciate the sentiment of yelling at Forbes, I really hope the Spurs can move Pau for a 3/D wing by the deadline.

I doubt any GM would move a real 3&D guy for Gasol.

Mugen
01-01-2019, 11:22 AM
I doubt any GM would move a real 3&D guy for Gasol.

I'd move any combo of Beli, Forbes, Pau and one of the picks for Otto Porter (+ fillers like Dante, QPon) . Washington should be having a fire sale soon and I don't think it'll take that much to get him, probably just 3 out of 4 of those guys.

Not sure about salary wise but i'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

bklynspursfan
01-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Sound like you had yourself a good time last night :lol

#BeatNephew

John B
01-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Thanks Timvp. I sincerely hope Pops, and also White, realized what this kid is capable of and keep pushing him, to be the 3rd option especially if Gay is not playing well. What a revelation. This version of “Kidd” is going to be a star. Yes it’s Kidd I see on this guy, big guard who has excellent court vision, a defensive catalyst and especially real smooth demeanor, attacking where he can be most effective in the game. He needs to realize as a point guard, he owns this team, he’s a general placing people as his extension how to beat the other team. I’m that excited about this Spurs version of Kidd.

Mugen
01-01-2019, 11:36 AM
If Toronto MVP Kyle Lowry doesn't play, I like the Spurs chances tbh. It'd be such a Nephew/Dennis move for them to skip out on the Spurs game though, they'd absolutely get flamed by every single media outlet if it happened though so I think he plays.

offset formation
01-01-2019, 11:38 AM

That was exactly what I thought in the moment as well.

offset formation
01-01-2019, 11:44 AM
If Toronto MVP Kyle Lowry doesn't play, I like the Spurs chances tbh. It'd be such a Nephew/Dennis move for them to skip out on the Spurs game though, they'd absolutely get flamed by every single media outlet if it happened though so I think he plays.

He sat out 73 for us last year. What's 1 more?

Fuck that fool.

FkLA
01-01-2019, 11:57 AM
White is an All-Defense level defender. Srs. He gets no respect from the refs either, there's been several times over the past few weeks when a player blatantly pushes him away with their off arm bc he's draped all over them, White falls, and he inexplicably gets called for the blocking foul. Once he starts being recognized as the amazing defender he is and the refs start giving him those calls the NBA=fucked.

TimmyBuckets
01-01-2019, 12:26 PM
As soon as this thread popped up, I knew White was getting that A+. What a great performance.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Thanks Timvp!

White was great...emerging into quite a player. And DeRozan did a nice job distributing. A lot of the open looks we get from 3 are from DeRozan's penetration and the attention he draws from the defenses. I thought his ball movement and finding the open man is worth a little better grade than he got...and he came through with some nice buckets late to keep the Celtics out of it. With him and LMA both doing their thing inside the arc it's making it nice for our perimeter guys. DDR is a better fit than I imagined.

I noticed Pau's body language, too. He's really not a great fit for how this team is evolving. He might be more detrimental to the flow than Cunningham. I wish his contract could be traded for someone who could help the Spurs this year.

Play Boban
01-01-2019, 01:14 PM
play poeltl

Larry O
01-01-2019, 01:27 PM
That cold start from the Good Guys looked scary there, but they kept their composure and allowed their defense to keep them in the game until their offense could catch up. Hopefully this team is starting to have confidence in themselves and each other. Thursday's game will be electric! There's gonna be a whole lot of energy at the AT&T Center that SA could be powered for a month, lol! Any who, hopefully LMA can continue with bully balling smaller defenders and when he gets double or triple teamed, make the opposing team pay by passing the ball out to a 3 point shooter. DW4 is ballin!!! He seems to be gaining more confidence! Hopefully this means that things will continue to go up for him. Also for Pop, hopefully this is where he finally sees DW4's value on the court and trusts him to play more meaningful minutes over Mills, SMH! His defense is what the doctor ordered! GSG!!!

ceperez
01-01-2019, 01:32 PM
BTW, White just missed one field goal on his way to 22 points!

jjktkk
01-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Wow, this team is rolling! And to think there were quite a few posters on here who wanted this team to tank. Wonder where they went to?:lol

:flag:

vavvi
01-01-2019, 03:06 PM
In the first half I had a feeling we were shooting ourselves in the leg. Poeltl-LMA lineup just doesn’t work. It doesn’t work in theory and doesn’t work on the court. Spacing is painful to watch. So unlike timvp I was actually happy to see Cun entering the game which meant no 2-bigs lineup.

Gasol coming back may be a real problem for us. Look at the Mavs. Dirk coming back already costed them at least a couple of wins. It messed up their rotation. We have a risk of the same with Gasol. I’ve always liked Pau but there’s no rotation spot for him now.

On the bright side LA was a beast and he should remain like that

weebo
01-01-2019, 03:41 PM
I can see a scenario where Pau plays 10-15 minutes/game—pop has to start thinking of saving LA for the rest of the year

DAF86
01-01-2019, 03:45 PM
White is an All-Defense level defender. Srs. He gets no respect from the refs either, there's been several times over the past few weeks when a player blatantly pushes him away with their off arm bc he's draped all over them, White falls, and he inexplicably gets called for the blocking foul. Once he starts being recognized as the amazing defender he is and the refs start giving him those calls the NBA=fucked.

Pop needs to start hyping him up on that end with the media. That's the only way to speed up the recognition process.

FkLA
01-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Pop needs to start hyping him up on that end with the media. That's the only way to speed up the recognition process.

Yeah, I agree. Brad Stevens giving him major props for his defense last night was a good start.

What's crazy is, with the emergence of White this team is seemingly just a legit, long 3&D wing away from being serious contenders. Murray/White/3&D wing is a pretty solid trio to throw at GS's backcourt assuming they stay intact past this year. Sigh if only we had kept LDN.

FkLA
01-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Also, I will never doubt PopaGOAT and RC again. I can't believe there were idiots early on that were saying Pop should retire or be fired after his body of work over the past two decades. Or that the game had passed him by. Honestly, during that rough stretch I thought maybe we did suck now but in hindsight the only reason we ever sucked that bad was because the team's two best perimeter defenders were out. The Murray and White injuries really threw a wrench in the plans they had coming into the season.

TD 21
01-01-2019, 05:00 PM
I actually thought Pop handled the PF minutes correctly . . .

- By initially inserting Gasol instead of Cunningham into the rotation, he signaled that despite the Celtics being wing heavy, he'd try to play his best talent, matchup and rotational awkwardness be damned.

- He quickly realized that trying to shoehorn a third C into the rotation was going to be untenable, so he went away from it after a 5 minute stint.

- Since Bertans played the last 7 minutes of the 3rd and it appeared the game would be in at least reasonable doubt throughout much of the 4th, he correctly tried to steal 3-4 minutes with Cunningham. Sure, Hayward was playing as the nominal PF, but this was when DeRozan was also resting and playing any smaller on the wings would have risked being bludgeoned in the post and on the glass.

slick'81
01-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Also, I will never doubt PopaGOAT and RC again. I can't believe there were idiots early on that were saying Pop should retire or be fired after his body of work over the past two decades. Or that the game had passed him by. Honestly, during that rough stretch I thought maybe we did suck now but in hindsight the only reason we ever sucked that bad was because the team's two best perimeter defenders were out. The Murray and White injuries really threw a wrench in the plans they had coming into the season.

Only aretard would believe pop forgot how to coach up or develop players

Coach X
01-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Interesting game to observe how Aldridge-Poetl-Gasol rotation could work.

Poetl+Aldridge PROs: paint defense and rim protection, defensive rebound, offensive rebound.
Poetl+Aldridge CONs: perimeter defense, not the best spacing in offense (less space for Aldridge and DeRozan to attack the rim and finish/kick out to shooters)
Transition D shouldn't be much worse as the big crushing the offensive board delays opp fastbreak first action.
Better paint defense and dominating defensive rebound could provide more fastbreak opportunities but playing two bigs will slow down pace and reduce transition game.

A 3 bigs rotation should directly reduce Aldridge minutes from 38 to 32-33, which is good as long as the team works well without him on the court.
Starting 2 bigs would probably send Gay to the second unit. This movement has its own pros and cons. I think Gasol+Gay+Shooters would work very well as second unit for this team.
A 3 bigs rotation, starting 2 of them could indirectly reduce DeRozan minutes or anybody else's. Either Gay or Bertans would play some minutes as DeRozan's backup at S and Forbes, Mills, White and Marco would be the backcourt. Alternatively, DeRozan would be moved to the SG and one of the four would reduce his participation.

I can see a dilemma here for the franchise: Do they go ahead with the 3 bigs as planned in summer or do they turn to the successful rotation of the last month? What about trades and adjusting the roster for the current year? I wish we had played nephew 3 days ago when everything was clear.

Manufan909
01-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Take away minutes from Mills and Bellineli. I love experimental Pop. I want him to try White-DD-Bertans-LMA-Poetl next. Poetl already works well with Davis, if he gets synergy with LMA, the NBA is screwed.

DAF86
01-01-2019, 08:01 PM
If we are going to start two bigmen, it makes more sense to start Pau than Poeltl, tbh.

Pau can play his high-low game with LA and he can also spread the floor with his shooting. Poeltl meanwhile can keep working on that season saving chemistry with the second unit.

RC_Drunkford
01-01-2019, 08:33 PM
If we are going to start two bigmen, it makes more sense to start Pau than Poeltl, tbh.

Pau can play his high-low game with LA and he can also spread the floor with his shooting. Poeltl meanwhile can keep working on that season saving chemistry with the second unit.

this. Pau and LA already know how to play together and Pau can shoot 3s. I still think smallball is the better strategy for this team though

Fusternino
01-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Also, a Bertans-Gasol frontcourt is the most disastrous combo defensively.

emanueldavidginobili
01-01-2019, 08:58 PM
I just don’t see the reason to play Pau tbh. Any playing time he gets is taking away from Poelts minutes. Jakob is 23 years old and is going to be our big man of the future he needs all the playing time he can get and not getting it taken away from a 38 year old coming off a fracture in his foot. I don’t mind Pau getting some spot minutes if foul trouble occurres but I definitely don’t think him in the rotation benefits this team.

Shakril
01-02-2019, 08:56 AM
Never change a winning team, and right now this team is winning. Even the last 3 Losses, were more about own stupidity (Free throws, letting bulls come back, etc.) than that the opponent was better.

So as long there is no need, i would not play Pau.

Despite Whites good D in the last games, Poeltl is still the best defender on the Team. To have him as much as possible on the court only benefits the team. Especially the Bertans-Belinelli-Poeltl Line Up has proven to be deadly.

Poeltl-LMA lineup is as much for Poeltl to learn to play with LMA, as much as LMA has to learn to let Poeltl be the Rim Protector. In my opinion they could compliment each other, but this needs time and trust.