PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Waive All Three

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 02:30 PM
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have waived guards Stephen Graham, Melvin Sanders and forward Sharrod Ford.

Graham appeared in seven preseason games where he averaged 5.4 points and 1.7 rebounds.

Sanders averaged 6.3 points and 2.6 rebounds in seven preseason contests.

Ford appeared in all eight Spurs preseason games and averaged 4.9 points and 2.5 rebounds.

The Spurs roster now stands at 13.

timvp
10-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Holt strikes again.
:sleep

samikeyp
10-26-2005, 02:31 PM
So are they making room for someone else?

Slomo
10-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Wasn't there a vBookie on the subject? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiangel.gif

batman2883
damn the plot thickens........room for a latrell by chance??

timvp
So are they making room for someone else?

They are making room for more money in Holt's wallet.

T Park
10-26-2005, 02:33 PM
yup.

Cause an owner is NOT allowed to consider his finances.

When did we become NY again?

batman2883
10-26-2005, 02:34 PM
damn thats crazy so they were like yo you guys hope you enjoyed your little vacation time in the Virgin Islands hope you enjoyed playing with the champs but the dream is over, go home now

timvp
10-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Spurs win their third championship but Holt won't let them spring for a 14th man? That's pretty weak, especially considering how well this team is able to mold IR fodder into rotational players. Stephen Jackson and Devin Brown come to mind.

The Spurs will probably be the only team in the NBA with only 13 players under contract. But that's okay, whatever to plea$e Holt.

Yeah.

ducks
10-26-2005, 02:38 PM
would anyone want spree for the vet min?

Obstructed_View
10-26-2005, 02:39 PM
I can't believe I'm asking this, but does this put them under the cap?

Oh, Gee!!
Don't NBA teams only have 12 activce spots and 1 reserve on the roster?

Kori Ellis
Don't NBA teams only have 12 activce spots and 1 reserve on the roster?

12 and 3

timvp

No. Just saves Holt about $750,000. :elephant

Horry For 3!
I though Sanders or Ford would make it....guess not

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 02:40 PM

They are over the cap by a lot and even over the luxury tax by a few hundred grand.

Vashner
10-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Why are people harping on Holt. He's a good solid owner. Best of the best.

He helped deliver the trophy... what else do you want??

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Some people think with the age of the bench, it might be wise to spend a few hundred grand to keep one of the young players.

Oh, Gee!!
10-26-2005, 02:53 PM
They are over the cap by a lot and even over the luxury tax by a few hundred grand.

rasho will burn for this

ducks
10-26-2005, 02:54 PM
I hope they can trade rasho for a long three

could they get a long three for scola?

bull62400
10-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Right On!! :smokin

ObiwanGinobili
10-26-2005, 02:57 PM

:lmao

hah! sadly.. i was thinking the very same thing.

batman2883
10-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Carl i agree with you Rasho will burn for this

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Now all that's left is for a trade to shave off about $600K in payroll by the trade deadline. Any wonder why the front office was willing to take back the rotting corpse of Tariq Abdul-Wahad's career for Radoslav?

I still do not understand why we, as fans of the team, not the Spurs' income statement, should be pleased with these decisions.

Bruno
10-26-2005, 03:15 PM
None of three plays great.
Sanders was short, Graham was not NBA ready and Ford is a PF we don't need.
Spurs have only 4 swingmen (assuming they won't do a trade or sign a 14th guy) but Beno and Nick can play SG, so I'm not too worried.

BigVee
10-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Those 3 were not going to play and there will be 20 more just like them available next year. What players have been let go for $$ reasons that would have helped win a championship in the 4 of the past 7 years when the Spurs did not win?

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Sanders and Ford are guys who could very well be NBA players. They are guys worth keeping around, putting on IR and letting work on their game in Austin for a season.

timvp
10-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Qyntel Woods sounds like a good option at this point ... if Holt is going to allow the Spurs to get a 14th man like every other team in the league.

timvp
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM

How about the option to stash a couple players on IR like everyone else? I don't think that is such a huge thing to ask for.

Bruno
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Sanders and Ford are guys who could very well be NBA players. They are guys worth keeping around, putting on IR and letting work on their game in Austin for a season.

Agree but you have lots of undersized SG and undersized PF who could be nba players. Spurs can sign this type of players next year it they need one.

timvp
10-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Agree but you have lots of undersized SG and undersized PF who could be nba players. Spurs can sign this type of players next year it they need one.

But being with the Spurs and practicing with them helps players develop.

See: Jackson, Stephen; Brown, Devin; Hart, Jason; Wilks, Mike; Johnson III, Linton

All those players learned the NBA game on the Spurs' IR and now have NBA contracts.

BigVee
10-26-2005, 03:22 PM

See: Jackson, Stephen; Brown, Devin; Hart, Jason; Wilks, Mike; Johnson III, Linton

All those players learned the NBA game on the Spurs' IR and now have NBA contracts.

Spurs aren't in the development business. All those players are now on other teams.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:23 PM
The Spurs have taken "undersized" or otherwise non-perfect players and turned them into valuable role players before. It's not like having young guys on IR is really going to screw up anything else. Shit, if they needed room at some point in the future they could waive them then.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Spurs aren't in the development business. All those players are now on other teams.

Rose, Malik. Valuable member of 2 championship teams who gave the Spurs a solid backup bigman for 5 or 6 seasons. He was a project when the Spurs picked him up as a 2nd year player.

Anyways, timvp's point as I understand it is that the Spurs have gone the development route in just about every season prior. DBrown gave the Spurs some good minutes during his Spur career. Stephen Jackson was arguably responsible for clinching a championship. Avery Johnson gave the Spurs a dependable point guard for the greater part of a decade and helped them win a championship.

T Park
10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
I still do not understand why we, as fans of the team, not the Spurs' income statement, should be pleased with these decisions.

Maybe cause this ownership group has delivered on 3 rings in 7 years???

Lets bring back the successfull Red McCombs ownership who shot down a Willie Anderson and Terry Cummings for Charles Barkley trade.

Yes, lets dump Holt, the only Spurs owner to preside over 3 rings.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Why the fuck are you preaching blind loyalty, Mr. Bandwagon Jumper?

T Park
10-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Anyone MAYBE think, that Pop himself thought that Sanders or Ford might not have been worth it??

These guys didn't show any big deals, Ford looked OK, but hes about 4 years away from being a contributer. Sanders the same thing.

Of course not...

Bruno
10-26-2005, 03:31 PM

The only thing I say is that I rather have a player with a lot of upside on IR than a solid role player.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Ever think that maybe Pop's hands were tied and he couldn't keep them around because the organization is hell bent on getting under the lux tax threshold? I'm not sure why we should be happy when the team gives up talent because of reasons other than basketball.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:33 PM
The only thing I say is that I rather have a player with a lot of upside on IR than a solid role player.

Well, when you're talking about IR you are talking about trying to find a player who can realistically be a role player. What's the pain here from a basketball perspective? If they came across a better prospect, well, waive someone to make room for him then.

T Park
10-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Why are you still here Mr "Retirement"??

I believe I can do what I want, last I checked youve quit wayyyyy before I did.

LOTS of times.

Keep it on subject Mr Identity crisis.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:35 PM
I may have quit on a forum once or twice, but I never gave up on this team.

BigVee
10-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Ever think that maybe Pop's hands were tied and he couldn't keep them around because the organization is hell bent on getting under the lux tax threshold? I'm not sure why we should be happy when the team gives up talent because of reasons other than basketball.

That's a fair point. However, 29 other teams had a chance to get these guys to camp as well. We'll see if any other teams jump on any of them.

T Park
10-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure why we should be happy when the team gives up talent because of reasons other than basketball

This arguement would hold water

had the Spurs not gone out and given a 1.8 million contract to Nick Van Exel, a third PG NOT needed, and Michael Finley a 4th swingman NOT needed, and another big man, NOT needed.

But yeah, they should sign a defensive forward who played in what is the equivelant of the AA league last year, just to please a rotissere geek who thinks the team should lose money, just to placate him.

Bruno
10-26-2005, 03:39 PM
The Spurs have taken "undersized" or otherwise non-perfect players and turned them into valuable role players before. It's not like having young guys on IR is really going to screw up anything else. Shit, if they needed room at some point in the future they could waive them then.

Every year you can get valuable role players for cheap in FA (especialy SG/SF).
Evans get $1.5M and Barnes get the min.
I think 13 players isn't enough. i will be quite disapointed if Spurs don't sign a young SG/SF.
I rather take risk for players on IR (like Quyntel Woods).

T Park
10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
I may have quit on a forum once or twice, but I never gave up on this team

Bravo for you.

Whats the difference.

Quitting is quitting.

Hypocrit. Back on topic please.

angel_luv
10-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Ahhhhh! That's kind of sad. =( Best of luck guys!

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Every year you can get valuable role players for cheap in FA (especialy SG/SF).
Evans get $1.5M and Barnes get the min.
I think 13 players isn't enough. i will be quite disapointed if Spurs don't sign a young SG/SF.
I rather take risk for players on IR (like Quyntel Woods).

Well, they could've gotten Barnes this offseason.

Kori Ellis
But yeah, they should sign a defensive forward who played in what is the equivelant of the AA league last year, just to please a rotissere geek who thinks the team should lose money, just to placate him.

They could have signed one of them and sent them to the DLeague.

So TPark, you don't advocate the use of signing young prospects and letting them develop?

What's the point of developing a NBA farm system if teams don't use it?

2centsworth
Maybe cause this ownership group has delivered on 3 rings in 7 years???

Lets bring back the successfull Red McCombs ownership who shot down a Willie Anderson and Terry Cummings for Charles Barkley trade.

Yes, lets dump Holt, the only Spurs owner to preside over 3 rings..

i agree. Sanders and the like are a dime a dozen. Spurs can find someone like that at any time. If $750k keeps holt happy, sobeit 3 rings and probably a 4th keeps me very content.

The boss is entitled to money too.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Bravo for you.

Whats the difference.

Quitting is quitting.

Hypocrit. Back on topic please.

Ha. You gave up on the team.

Kori Ellis
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Sanders and the like are a dime a dozen.

They must not be that cheap and available because the Spurs have been looking for a young defensive minded small forward for two years.

That being said, I don't think Sanders was the answer -- too short.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
This arguement would hold water

had the Spurs not gone out and given a 1.8 million contract to Nick Van Exel, a third PG NOT needed, and Michael Finley a 4th swingman NOT needed, and another big man, NOT needed.

So it wouldn't make sense to try and develop talent because the opportunity is always going to be there to sign guys like Finley who were waived under a 1 time cap rule.

Bruno
10-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Well, they could've gotten Barnes this offseason.

Yes, but they needn't him.
My though about IL :
Put on it only prospects with upside and chemistry guys.
The year you need a solid role player you can get him for cheap via FA.
Among the three, Graham was the guy I prefer on IL.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Well, they could've put Barnes on IR and let him develop. He fits the profile of the young swing you said you would like to see them add.

Bruno
10-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, they could've put Barnes on IR and let him develop. He fits the profile of the young swing you said you would like to see them add.
Yes, I'd like Spurs signed Barnes but they didn't.

ducks
10-26-2005, 04:01 PM
how many young prospects do the spurs have?

I can think of around 5 now...

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Yes, I'd like Spurs signed Barnes but they didn't.

They probably didn't because of the lux tax issue.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 04:02 PM

Sure, but how many of those guys could join the team today? Also, why not add more? There's nothing wrong with having the rights to more prospects, is there?

I'm not seeing the pain here from a basketball POV.

Bruno
10-26-2005, 04:03 PM

Yes but the only SF they have is Sanikidze and he is out for the season.
I'd like Spurs have signed a yound long three but I don't think it's a big mistake not to have one this year.

easjer
10-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Is there no possibility they've got their eyes on someone else who has been or will be waived? Is there no possibility they are working on a trade?

Everyone screamed over the summer about a new back-up 3, wept with joy over a 3rd pg and 4th swingman that we didn't especially need, and are angry because they released players who never had a chance to play?

I guess I just don't get it. Why keep them on and pay for them if they aren't working out and you maybe have the chance to get something you need?

Whatever. I'm generally pretty happy with the Front Office.

ducks
10-26-2005, 04:08 PM
would any one them that got waived today be able to join the team TODAY?

no they would have to develop atleast a year

I would have liked to have kepted all but I do not think that it is going to cost the spurs later

Bruno
10-26-2005, 04:09 PM
They probably didn't because of the lux tax issue.
Agree and for the same reason they will likely do a trade this year. (my personal conviction is Nazr will be traded).
But it wasn't a big mistake not to keep one.
I think they planed to keep one only if he was very special.
None plays great during the preseason so all waived.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 04:10 PM
would any one them that got waived today be able to join the team TODAY?

no they would have to develop atleast a year

I would have liked to have kepted all but I do not think that it is going to cost the spurs later

I think Barnes could produce if called upon. Ditto for Sanders.

Obi wan Ginobili
10-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Bitch about an owner being cheap when his team is the envy of the league.

Good Job.

Good thing you arent a Clippers fan.

ploto
10-26-2005, 04:16 PM
My only concern is about enough players for practice.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Bitch about an owner being cheap when his team is the envy of the league.

Good Job.

Good thing you arent a Clippers fan.

Good thing you don't remember 1999-00 or 2003-04. Fuck it, the Spurs never make a mistake. They are perfect. They haven't had a problem repeating as champions. Tim Duncan will be great forever.

easjer
10-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Good thing you don't remember 1999-00 or 2003-04. Fuck it, the Spurs never make a mistake. They are perfect. They haven't had a problem repeating as champions. Tim Duncan will be great forever.

Biggest problem in 99-00 was Timmy's knee. He won't be perfect forever, and they should develop role players. At the same time, they've got several players already in development, they don't need these guys to fill up IR, they are already pretty deep, and the best thing they can do is to focus on being a cohesive team that knows their rotations and can anticipate their teammates. They don't need to worry about development right now (and they've got plans in place, so it's not completely out of sight or mind), they need to worry about this team.

Why add on when you don't need too? These guys were not adding anything, and weren't fitting what few things needed fitting. Keeping them just in case is stupid, since they could find someone else later if necessary.

It's not like they just waived Manu or Bruce. Come down from the ledge, man.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Does anyone else think that at this rate, if we also trade rasho, we're not going to be as deep as we think we are

boutons
10-26-2005, 06:16 PM
The Spurs problem with "keep/pay for the development years" seems to be that after 2 or 3 years, the developees leave, no payoff for the Spurs.

exstatic
10-26-2005, 07:02 PM
OMG, the Spurs cut some D-league material! The horror.

Yes, Tim Duncan isn't going to be around forever, but these guys, or their like, certainly won't make anyone forget him. They're journeyman fodder, available every summer.

spurs=bling
10-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Holt strikes again.
:sleep
:lol

TIMVP you make me laugh.

mrpach
10-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Does anyone else think that at this rate, if we also trade rasho, we're not going to be as deep as we think we are
Lets not turn in the KIngs II!! their strenght was their dept and player by player they lost it :depressed :pctoss

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2005, 07:22 PM

Yeah, maybe we could be fortunate enough to win a title if Holt would just fucking spring for a 14th man.

What a cheap bastard.

ro_50
10-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Not surprised they got cut.

SequSpur
10-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Those players sucked anyway. WTF?

Dude is making room for Sprewell.

WTFU.

Despot
10-26-2005, 08:10 PM
If it got to the point where we NEEDED to use Sharrod Ford, things are either going really bad, or really good, he would not have made a difference either way. At the most, I expected the spurs to keep a couple of guys and send 'em to the D-league. Lets not forget, I'm sure the the Spurs have kept their eye on other preseason games, there may be somebody out there that they like more.

I think there are underlying issues here for Spurs fans.......I think some ppl are looking for a "replacement Devin" to root for. Marks somehow does not fulfill that need, no knock on Marks intended. Maybe it's just me, but I cringe when I see him because he reminds me of the worst movie I have ever seen.

GoSpurs21
10-26-2005, 08:14 PM
I think Barnes could produce if called upon. Ditto for Sanders.actually the only one that looked good was Ford, the other two never looked good.

Those players sucked anyway. WTF?

Dude is making room for Sprewell.

WTFU.talk about sucking, Sprell cant even feed his family on 7M/yr, just say no to the locker room cancer.

exstatic
10-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Sprewell is not coming.

"Cheap" would have ben to refuse to sign NVE. His contract was the one that put them over the tax threshhold. So, they sign him, cut some scrubs later, and maybe move one more deal from an uber-deep roster. Sucks to be a Spurs Fan.

Solid D
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
I was not that impressed with anyone except Sanders, up until the Knicks game. His defense was so-so, he went 0-fer from the field and he did a no-no by leaving the corner when TP penetrated, creating a TO by TP in the closing minute to allow the Knicks to pull out a W after trailing the entire game.

This isn't about saving dollars. They'll just sign a 14th guy somewhere down the line that the Spurs think will help them more (my opinion).

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Actually, it's pretty good to be a Spurs Fan. Would be even better if we had an owner who wasn't cutting corners when this team is at the top of the league.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Yeah, maybe we could be fortunate enough to win a title if Holt would just fucking spring for a 14th man.

What a cheap bastard.

How about when they let the center walk who you nutted yourself over when they traded for him?

Sorry man, I could give two shits about how much extra $ Holt Cat and friends end up with. I'm a basketball fan.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
So do the spurs go into the season without having an Injured Reserve??? wtf?

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Would be even better if we had an owner who wasn't cutting corners when this team is at the top of the league.

So cutting corners = multi-year deal for Finley and signing NVE?

Stupid me, Holt's cheap unless he drops two million on IR/NBADL fodder so you can get your rocks off about the "potential" of the 14th man.

Fuck man, wake up. The team is over the cap and they went out and signed Finley and NVE. Of course with Devin's cum all over your chin you would get upset about losing a marginal role player with a bad back, and increase your whining today over three other marginal Devin Brown wannabes.

Get over it.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Cheap is letting talent go for nothing because you are worried about forgoing a little bit of the lux tax distributions. Yeah, they signed NVE and Finley. For what, $3 mil combined? Neither is exactly that young. The Spurs aren't going to be finding a Finley falling into their lap every offseason.

The Spurs' window is the next 3 seasons. Their perimeter rotation and depth is glaringly old. Management and the coaching staff have shown an ability to find and develop solid role players out of young, nondescript free agents. But that doesn't happen overnight.

They've already given up Brown for nothing. As much as Spurs fans would like to delude themselves, the difference between Brown and Finley is not that great in the Spurs' system. At a minimum you've lost a solid young talent who could give you heavy minutes today in the perimeter rotation. Why? None other reason than to save what is a pittance in the NBA.

Again, who cares about seeing Holt Cat et al make a few extra bucks? As a fan of the team don't you want good basketball decisions? Letting talent go at a cheap price is not a great move.

And finally, it's the management team that has put the Spurs in a good position, not ownership. Some of you are confusing the two. Holt Cat's done well when he's left well alone.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Marcus Bryant is making a good point..

It disgusts me to know that this is most likely THE best spurs team that will ever be formed, EVER, and to be cutting corners is such pussy shit, it just totally disgusts me

So, i asked a question earlier, do the spurs just start the season with no IR, or do they sign even cheaper talent?

Mr. Body
10-26-2005, 11:12 PM
Marcus Bryant is making a good point..

It disgusts me to know that this is most likely THE best spurs team that will ever be formed, EVER, and to be cutting corners is such pussy shit, it just totally disgusts me

So, i asked a question earlier, do the spurs just start the season with no IR, or do they sign even cheaper talent?

I'm sure naysayers here will gladly buy the team and run it the way they'd like. It's always easy spending other people's money. It's like you're all Republicans or something.

And, last paragraph: there is no such thing as the IR anymore.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Sure, we're fans, not the team's budget director.

Repubs? Well, the White House was sailing along smoothly once upon a time...

IR still exists. The rules for its use have changed though.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-26-2005, 11:34 PM
They've already given up Brown for nothing. As much as Spurs fans would like to delude themselves, the difference between Brown and Finley is not that great in the Spurs' system. At a minimum you've lost a solid young talent who could give you heavy minutes today in the perimeter rotation. Why? None other reason than to save what is a pittance in the NBA.

Difference isn't that great? One guy can fill it up off the bench. The other guy could be retiring in two years time with a bad back. Damn the Spurs for thinking with their brains instead of jonesing for the fan favorite at the end of the bench.

It's not saving when you don't even know if the guy is going to be able to walk without a cane two years from now.

As for "throwing away talent for nothing", I assume you mean the three swingmen scrubs cut today? Those types are a dime a dozen in the NBA, maybe the Spurs didn't like what they saw?

Oh wait, the great Marcus Cryant knows more of NBA talent than this team's player development staff. :rolleyes

DesiSpur_21
10-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Now it's more likely that Rasho/Nazr is gone sooner than later.

Marcus Bryant
10-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Difference isn't that great? One guy can fill it up off the bench. The other guy could be retiring in two years time with a bad back. Damn the Spurs for thinking with their brains instead of jonesing for the fan favorite at the end of the bench.

You hope Finley fits in. That's not a given. Devin didn't have a problem scoring points in the Spurs' offense. Coming off the bench and having limited touches is a different animal for Finley. We'll see how he reacts.

It's not saving when you don't even know if the guy is going to be able to walk without a cane two years from now.

Oh please. Finley has had a serious injury of his own.

As for "throwing away talent for nothing", I assume you mean the three swingmen scrubs cut today? Those types are a dime a dozen in the NBA, maybe the Spurs didn't like what they saw?

Yeah, it's always been easy for the Spurs to land quality swingmen.

Oh wait, the great Marcus Cryant knows more of NBA talent than this team's player development staff. :rolleyes

No. Just more than you.

And it wasn't a management decision to let him go. It was an ownership decision.

SPURS IN 06
10-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Spurs will signed two players before the first game on Tuesday,so everyone stop WHINING

ploto
10-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Now it's more likely that Rasho/Nazr is gone sooner than later.
Sorry, this makes no sense.

I told people all along that none of these guys were staying. I think they do have one player in the pipeline.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-26-2005, 11:50 PM
It's like you're all Republicans or something.

Dude that's fucking low, weak shit.

Mr. Body
10-27-2005, 12:06 AM
Dude that's fucking low, weak shit.

True, though, right?

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Actually the sterotypical Repub response would be that we have no right to say anything because we aren't a member of the ruling elite.

Without fans, ownership doesn't have a business. Time for another analogy.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Why does everyone always say that holt is so cheap i mean this is the same guy that gave Timmy the max and overpaid for both Tony and Rasho. Who the hell else was going to give Tony 60 plus million bucks.

ZStomp
10-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Why does everyone always say that holt is so cheap i mean this is the same guy that gave Timmy the max and overpaid for both Tony and Rasho. Who the hell else was going to give Tony 60 plus million bucks.

I think other teams would have also given TP that kind of money. But I agree, I'm not complaining. Who cares about these scrubs. I'm sure we are in good hands.

Marcus Bryant
10-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Hmmm...a 22 year old top 10 point with 3 years' of starting experience and playoff experience. Yeah, there would've been some teams interested in him if he had hit the open market. Probably not max money but definitely more than what the Spurs were able to extend him for. I recall how Pop had to go public on Good Hands to get him to do the obvious.

AFE7FATMAN
10-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Spurs win their third championship but Holt won't let them spring for a 14th man? That's pretty weak, especially considering how well this team is able to mold IR fodder into rotational players. Stephen Jackson and Devin Brown come to mind.

The Spurs will probably be the only team in the NBA with only 13 players under contract. But that's okay, whatever to plea$e Holt.

Yeah.

I SMELL A TRADE, PROBABLY BEFORE XMAS- and IMO it won't effect Mr
Cheap's wallet. If I'm wrong please serve my crow for Xmas Dinner to me.

I have no idea who will be traded, but I guess Raso/or Brent B.

AFE7FATMAN
10-27-2005, 12:59 AM
Sprewell is not coming.

"Cheap" would have ben to refuse to sign NVE. His contract was the one that put them over the tax threshhold. So, they sign him, cut some scrubs later, and maybe move one more deal from an uber-deep roster. Sucks to be a Spurs Fan.

Sprewell may just be on the way, I think he found out no-one want's him :lol :lol and he may not want to sit at home like GR, or maybe GR
is coming back and this would make me very happy.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-27-2005, 01:26 AM
True, though, right?

Just because I think the owners are cheap asses doesn't mean you need to say stuff that's totally fucked up

You might as well shoot me right in the heart

wildbill2u
10-27-2005, 12:08 PM
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have waived guards Stephen Graham, Melvin Sanders and forward Sharrod Ford.

Graham appeared in seven preseason games where he averaged 5.4 points and 1.7 rebounds.

Sanders averaged 6.3 points and 2.6 rebounds in seven preseason contests.

Ford appeared in all eight Spurs preseason games and averaged 4.9 points and 2.5 rebounds.

The Spurs roster now stands at 13.

It's not as though any of these guys had great stats or did anything to make themselves 'cut proof'.

Kori Ellis
10-27-2005, 12:10 PM
It's not as though any of these guys had great stats or did anything to make themselves 'cut proof'.

They were considering keeping Sanders for defense, not stats.

2centsworth
10-27-2005, 12:14 PM
They must not be that cheap and available because the Spurs have been looking for a young defensive minded small forward for two years.

That being said, I don't think Sanders was the answer -- too short.
The truly special talents aren't that cheap and available, but the Sanders of the world are all over the place.

pache100
10-27-2005, 12:15 PM
And, last paragraph: there is no such thing as the IR anymore.

Yah, there is. It's been renamed to Inactive Reserve, but it's still called the "IR". And they have until one hour prior to each game to decide who's on it.

ducks
10-27-2005, 01:48 PM
how great is devn brown though?
I can give you stephen jackson
but still jackson makes his share of mistakes.
had the spurs never gotten jackson he would never be anything

Solid D
10-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Theron Smith was waived today...for those scouts in here.