PDA

View Full Version : The Green New Deal

CosmicCowboy
01-03-2019, 08:35 AM
Found the actual text:

Summary of the Green New Deal
The Green New Deal is a four part program for moving America quickly out of crisis into a secure, sustainable future. Inspired by the New Deal programs that helped us out of the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Green New Deal will provide similar relief and create an economy that makes our communities sustainable, healthy and just.

THE FOUR PILLARS OF THE GREEN NEW DEAL
I - THE ECONOMIC BILL OF RIGHTS
Our country cannot truly move forward until the roots of inequality are pulled up, and the seeds of a new, healthier economy are planted. Thus, the Green New Deal begins with an Economic Bill of Rights that ensures all citizens: 1. The right to employment through a Full Employment Program that will create 25 million jobs by implementing a nationally funded, but locally controlled direct employment initiative replacing unemployment offices with local employment offices offering public sector jobs which are "stored" in job banks in order to take up any slack in private sector employment.

Local communities will use a process of broad stakeholder input and democratic decisionmaking to fairly implement these programs.
Pay-to-play prohibitions will ensure that campaign contributions or lobbying favors do not impact decision-making.
We will end unemployment in America once and for all by guaranteeing a job at a living wage for every American willing and able to work.
2. Worker's rights including the right to a living wage, to a safe workplace, to fair trade, and to organize a union at work without fear of firing or reprisal.

3. The right to quality health care which will be achieved through a single-payer Medicare-for-All program.

4. The right to a tuition-free, quality, federally funded, local controlled public education system from pre-school through college. We will also forgive student loan debt from the current era of unaffordable college education.

5. The right to decent affordable housing, including an immediate halt to all foreclosures and evictions. We will:

create a federal bank with local branches to take over homes with distressed mortgages and either restructure the mortgages to affordable levels, or if the occupants cannot afford a mortgage, rent homes to the occupants;
expand rental and home ownership assistance;
create ample public housing; and,
offer capital grants to non-profit developers of affordable housing until all people can obtain decent housing at no more than 25% of their income.
6. The right to accessible and affordable utilities – heat, electricity, phone, internet, and public transportation – through democratically run, publicly owned utilities that operate at cost, not for profit.

7. The right to fair taxation that's distributed in proportion to ability to pay. In addition, corporate tax subsidies will be made transparent by detailing them in public budgets where they can be scrutinized, not hidden as tax breaks.

II - A GREEN TRANSITION
The second priority of the Green New Deal is a Green Transition Program that will convert the old, gray economy into a new, sustainable economy that is environmentally sound, economically viable and socially responsible. We will:

1. Invest in green business by providing grants and low-interest loans to grow green businesses and cooperatives, with an emphasis on small, locally-based companies that keep the wealth created by local labor circulating in the community rather than being drained off to enrich absentee investors.

2. Prioritize green research by redirecting research funds from fossil fuels and other dead-end industries toward research in wind, solar and geothermal. We will invest in research in sustainable, nontoxic materials, closed-loop cycles that eliminate waste and pollution, as well as organic agriculture, permaculture, and sustainable forestry.

3. Provide green jobs by enacting the Full Employment Program which will directly provide 16 million jobs in sustainable energy and energy efficiency retrofitting, mass transit and "complete streets" that promote safe bike and pedestrian traffic, regional food systems based on sustainable organic agriculture, and clean manufacturing.

III - REAL FINANCIAL REFORM
The takeover of our economy by big banks and well-connected financiers has destabilized both our democracy and our economy. It's time to take Wall Street out of the driver's seat and to free the truly productive segments of working America to make this economy work for all of us. Real Financial Reform will:

1. Relieve the debt overhang holding back the economy by reducing homeowner and student debt burdens.

2. Democratize monetary policy to bring about public control of the money supply and credit creation. This means we'll nationalize the private bank-dominated Federal Reserve Banks and place them under a Monetary Authority within the Treasury Department.

3. Break up the oversized banks that are "too big to fail."

4. End taxpayer-funded bailouts for banks, insurers, and other financial companies. We'll use the FDIC resolution process for failed banks to reopen them as public banks where possible after failed loans and underlying assets are auctioned off.

5. Regulate all financial derivatives and require them to be traded on open exchanges.

6. Restore the Glass-Steagall separation of depository commercial banks from speculative investment banks.

7. Establish a 90% tax on bonuses for bailed out bankers.

8. Support the formation of federal, state, and municipal public-owned banks that function as non-profit utilities. Under the Green New Deal we will start building a financial system that is open, honest, stable, and serves the real economy rather than the phony economy of high finance.

IV - A FUNCTIONING DEMOCRACY
We won't get these vital reforms without a fourth and final set of reforms to give us a real, functioning democracy. Just as we are replacing the old economy with a new one, we need a new politics to restore the promise of American democracy. The New Green Deal will:

1. Revoke corporate personhood by amending our Constitution to make clear that corporations are not persons and money is not speech. Those rights belong to living, breathing human beings - not to business entities controlled by the wealthy.

2. Protect our right to vote by supporting Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr.'s proposed "Right to Vote Amendment," to clarify to the Supreme Court that yes, we do have a constitutional right to vote.

3. Enact the Voter Bill of Rights that will:

guarantee us a voter-marked paper ballot for all voting;
require that all votes are counted before election results are released;
replace partisan oversight of elections with non-partisan election commissions;
celebrate our democratic aspirations by making Election Day a national holiday;
bring simplified, safe same-day voter registration to the nation so that no qualified voter is barred from the polls;
do away with so-called "winner take all" elections in which the "winner" does not have the support of most of the voters, and replace that system with instant runoff voting and proportional representation, systems most advanced countries now use to good effect;
replace big money control of election campaigns with full public financing and free and equal access to the airwaves;
guarantee equal access to the ballot and to the debates to all qualified candidates;
abolish the Electoral College and implement direct election of the President;
restore the vote to ex-offenders who've paid their debt to society; and,
enact Statehood for the District of Columbia so that those Americans have representation in Congress and full rights to self rule like the rest of us.
4. Protect local democracy and democratic rights by commissioning a thorough review of federal preemption law and its impact on the practice of local democracy in the United States. This review will put at its center the "democracy question" – that is, what level of government is most open to democratic participation and most suited to protecting democratic rights.

5. Create a Corporation for Economic Democracy, a new federal corporation (like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting) to provide publicity, training, education, and direct financing for cooperative development and for democratic reforms to make government agencies, private associations, and business enterprises more participatory.

6. Strengthen media democracy by expanding federal support for locally-owned broadcast media and local print media.

7. Protect our personal liberty and freedoms by:

repealing the Patriot Act and those parts of the National Defense Authorization Act that violate our civil liberties;
prohibiting the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI from conspiring with local police forces to suppress our freedoms of assembly and of speech; and,
ending the war on immigrants – including the cruel, so-called "secure communities" program.
8. Rein in the military-industrial complex by

reducing military spending by 50% and closing U.S. military bases around the world;
restoring the National Guard as the centerpiece of our system of national defense; and,
creating a new round of nuclear disarmament initiatives.

boutons_deux
01-03-2019, 08:51 AM
ain't gonna happen, but lots of good ideas

In fact, the oligarchy will make sure most of those points are reversed in favor of the oligarchy.

DarrinS
01-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Onion?

CosmicCowboy
01-03-2019, 08:56 AM
They left out the "re-education camps" for the capitalist heretics that have the audacity to try to create wealth.

Skeletor'sGirlfriend
I don't understand this; but I agree with it.

CosmicCowboy
Onion?

nope. for real.

boutons_deux
01-03-2019, 08:58 AM
They left out the "re-education camps" for the capitalist heretics that have the audacity to try to create wealth.

Capitalism is ONLY for amassing the wealth of Capitalists, and is totally anti-democratic, totally pro-fascism, and anti-For The People

CosmicCowboy
01-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Who is John Galt?

boutons_deux
01-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Why is America fucked and unfuckable?

One reason is that multi-millionaire Pelosi, with Dems controlling spending now, is pushing for Pay-Go,

after a decade of Dems passively watching the Repugs defund non-military govt into dysfunctionality, and $22T in debt

Why isn't she pushing to refund, eg, EPA, IRS WITHOUT Pay-Go?

Because the establishment Dems are now center-right Repugs.

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 09:18 AM
here's the draft text for the establishment of the select committee:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jxUzp9SZ6-VB-4wSm8sselVMsqWZrSrYpYC9slHKLzo/edit

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 09:21 AM
two year timeline to write the bill:

(B) (i) The select committee shall complete the Plan for a Green New Deal by a date no later than January 1, 2020.

(ii) The select committee shall complete the finalized draft legislation by a date no later than the date that is 90 calendar days after the select committee has completed the Plan in accordance with paragraph (5)(B)(i) and, in any event, no later than March 1, 2020.

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 09:24 AM
bespoke public banks to partner with venture capital and the Federal Reserve to make the green grid?

(C) The Plan for a Green New Deal (and the draft legislation) shall recognize that innovative public and other financing structures are a crucial component in achieving and furthering the goals and guidelines relating to social, economic, racial, regional and gender-based justice and equality and cooperative and public ownership set forth in paragraphs (2)(A)(i) and (6)(B). The Plan (and the draft legislation) shall, accordingly, ensure that the majority of financing of the Plan shall be accomplished by the federal government, using a combination of the Federal Reserve, a new public bank or system of regional and specialized public banks, public venture funds and such other vehicles or structures that the select committee deems appropriate, in order to ensure that interest and other investment returns generated from public investments made in connection with the Plan will be returned to the treasury, reduce taxpayer burden and allow for more investment.

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 09:26 AM
well, it's not shy

Will Hunting
01-03-2019, 09:27 AM
You can count on one hand (actually, probably just one finger) the number of congressmen and congresswomen who support this, yet it’s got Republican jimmies rustled.

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 09:29 AM
You can count on one hand (actually, probably just one finger) the number of congressmen and congresswomen who support this, yet it’s got Republican jimmies rustled.Perhaps as many as 35 US reps support the GND:

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2018/12/13/35-members-of-congress-support-100-renewable-energy-green-new-deal/

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 09:30 AM
Who is John Galt?there's an opportunity for John Galt, if he has a vision and a VC fund

boutons_deux
01-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Republican jimmies rustled.

No matter how airy-fairy, dreamy, impractical, hopeless, self-defeating a proposed progressive project is, the Kock Bros Freedom Kockus will trash it.

boutons_deux
01-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Perhaps as many as 35 US reps support the GND:

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2018/12/13/35-members-of-congress-support-100-renewable-energy-green-new-deal/

only 200 to go

DMC
01-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Perhaps as many as 35 US reps support the GND:

Depending on how many fingers you were born with, Will could still be correct. I'll reserve judgement.

CosmicCowboy
01-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Wow pedophile. It makes sense you would spout stupid shit like that. You are living proof of the other book in that series, Darwin Shrugged.

Now quit molesting little boys

LOL PedoBoner strikes again with his transference fantasy.

Will Hunting
01-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Btw, the multi-trillion dollar New Deal part of the bill is far fetched, but the voter rights part of it is common sense legislation that Republicans & establishment Democrats are against simply to suppress voter turnout.

rmt
01-03-2019, 11:40 AM
iow, overthrow the Constitution?

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 12:06 PM
you're the cunt, you stupid fecking cunt

gOovPsxh_pI

BD24
01-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Some good ideas in there and some poor ideas as well.

making Election Day a National holiday that people get off is a great idea that I have seen before. We can replace Columbus Day if people are worried about lost work time tbh.

Will Hunting
01-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Some good ideas in there and some poor ideas as well.

making Election Day a National holiday that people get off is a great idea that I have seen before. We can replace Columbus Day if people are worried about lost work time tbh.
We should also be doing instant run off elections so people can vote for 3rd party candidates without worrying their vote doesn’t count, unfortunately the Democrats and Republicans are both equally against that because it would destroy our bullshit two party system where politicians have no accountability.

BD24
01-03-2019, 12:17 PM
We should also be doing instant run off elections so people can vote for 3rd party candidates without worrying their vote doesn’t count, unfortunately the Democrats and Republicans are both equally against that because it would destroy our bullshit two party system where politicians have no accountability.
Yea, most of the things in this plan will never happen. Neither establishment Dems or Republicans would support a lot of the election reform.

rmt
01-03-2019, 12:20 PM
I don't understand this; but I agree with it.

Is this a jab at your avatar?

BD24
01-03-2019, 12:21 PM
Is this a jab at your avatar?
You can’t possibly be this stupid?

rmt
01-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Will you let him answer? I'm already in trouble assuming stuff and it's only Jan 3rd. If it is a jab at his avatar - very subtle, very nice.

Cuppycake Gumdrop
01-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Will you let him answer? I'm already in trouble assuming stuff and it's only Jan 3rd. If it is a jab at his avatar - very subtle, very nice.
So you just are that stupid :tu

also, :lmao "subtle"

rmt
01-03-2019, 12:35 PM
So you just are that stupid :tu

also, :lmao "subtle"

are you a grammatarian? i'll leave you something to edit pls let him anser

rmt
01-03-2019, 12:41 PM
I'll add that Skeletor'sGirlfriend's grammar/punctuation is perfect - unusual to see proper use of the semicolon. That's why I asked - maybe something's hidden there or I'm over-reading - but no assumptions.

boutons_deux
01-03-2019, 12:47 PM
iow, overthrow the Constitution?

It's archaic by 200 years, badly written (eg, 2nd amendment), and perverted, weaponized by conservatives to serve their political ends.

It's not a democratic document, written by wealthy white slave owners, the oligarchy of the time, and excludes women, blacks, Indians from political life.

It also assume too much "good faith" and currently USA is full of very "bad faith" people go rig, game govt for their own wealth and power.

No worry, your beloved Constitution is safe.

The oligarchy will block any new Constitution, and any Amendments, that diminish the oligarchy's wealth and power.

rmt
01-03-2019, 01:00 PM
:lmao what a retarded gook

shrug - I've been called worse.

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 01:07 PM
:lmao what a retarded gook

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dv9I8YdXcAAEwUi.jpg

rmt
01-03-2019, 01:20 PM
It's archaic by 200 years, badly written (eg, 2nd amendment), and perverted, weaponized by conservatives to serve their political ends.

It's not a democratic document, written by wealthy white slave owners, the oligarchy of the time, and excludes women, blacks, Indians from political life.

It also assume too much "good faith" and currently USA is full of very "bad faith" people go rig, game govt for their own wealth and power.

No worry, your beloved Constitution is safe.

The oligarchy will block any new Constitution, and any Amendments, that diminish the oligarchy's wealth and power.

That's 3 of the dreaded "O" word - can't you find another word for the new year? That badly written document has overseen perhaps the greatest 200 years of prosperity ever.

The whole first part of that New Green Deal involves taking from those who have and redistributing it. Do you think people are going to stand for that? I've seen it happen in Jamaica in the late 1970s. The Prime Minister, Michael Manley, got very close to Fidel Castro and resulted in the hollowing out of Jamaica's middle and upper class. Everyone with anything left - homes/buildings sold at basement bargain prices. The money and intellect left and went to Miami, New York or Toronto - leaving a huge gap and all the poor who couldn't afford to get out - not a pretty sight - inflation skyrocketed (believe it or not, I remember when a Jamaican dollar was worth more than an American dollar - now it's $128 JA to $1 US).

Beyond the theft (because that's what it is), it does no one any good to be handed anything - that decreases motivation to strive and creates ill-will among families, population, etc.

DarrinS
01-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Making election day a holiday is a good idea

The rest of that manifesto is garbage

rmt
01-03-2019, 02:25 PM
I’m sure you’ve said dumber things to deserve it.

Well, looking at his 2 previous posts now - yep, dumb. But from my pov, it would have been really SUBTLE and sarcastic :-)

rmt
01-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Nuance doesn't work on a message board.

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 02:29 PM
So we're pretending this is the legislative agenda of all Democrats?

rmt
01-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Anyway, if he really doesn't understand, maybe someone should explain. He won't like my explanation.

spurraider21
01-03-2019, 02:30 PM
first section reminds me of the America Works program from house of cards

rmt
01-03-2019, 02:31 PM

Nope, just the one most of you seem to think will bring out the Dem (base) and youngsters.

boutons_deux
Before this green stuff, Dems must defeat NP's Pay-Go crap

spurraider21
as for forgiving all student loan debt, i think that's absurd.

i do think interest rates on them are absurd, and perhaps have the govt subsidize the interest portions and let debtors at least pay off the principal

student loans should be interest free loans issued by the government, imo. its in the government's interest to have an educated populace. i dont think college should be "free for all" because you have a lot of fuckups just wasting time in college with no real ambition to graduate but just want 6 years of "the college experience." a good compromise could be the first 2 years or something, with the rest being on loans.

rmt
01-03-2019, 02:32 PM
My OLD dem friends will think the same way about this as they did about Bernie, iow - hell, no.

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Nope, just the one most of you seem to think will bring out the Dem (base) and youngsters.You seem like an idiot speaking for other people you don't know.

rmt
01-03-2019, 02:38 PM
You seem like an idiot speaking for other people you don't know.

I'm repeating what others have said here - specifically WHu who wants a progressive - not Biden/establishment type. I'm starting to hope for the (Dem) establishment type in case he/she wins - couldn't stomach a progressive.

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 02:41 PM
I'm repeating what others have said here - specifically WHu who wants a progressive - not Biden/establishment type. I'm starting to hope for the (Dem) establishment type in case he/she wins - couldn't stomach a progressive.It will be just like any similar factional wish list. Some good and practical stuff will make it to the wider party and then get stuck in gridlock while the other side fear mongers the more radical stuff.

rmt
01-03-2019, 02:44 PM
Before this green stuff, Dems must defeat NP's Pay-Go crap

Sign me up for this Pay-Go. Time for those (incoming) moderate Dems to follow through.

boutons_deux
01-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Sign me up for this Pay-Go. Time for those (incoming) moderate Dems to follow through.

I suppose you were a huge cheerleader for Repugs adding $2T to the debt, SO FAR, and Repugs defunding, crippling govt for 8+ years.

but now the House is in Dem spending power, you want Pay-Go.

Goddamn, you're fucking stupid

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Sign me up for this Pay-Go. Time for those (incoming) moderate Dems to follow through.lol you never cared about Pay-Go. Why now?

rmt
01-03-2019, 03:20 PM
lol you never cared about Pay-Go. Why now?

I didn't even know what it was - just googled it. Some on this board (not necessarily you) think that people on either side are gung-ho for EVERY thing that their party(/new green deal) does. As this page shows, not so. I believe that the government should spend less than they bring in - just like I do.

And we should start by getting our own house in order (taking care of our own) before inviting anyone else in. And before someone claims I'm racist - I've got nothing against the (brown) Indian PHDs who populate Google or (black) Nigerians who know English and are net contributors (instead of drains - in case you haven't noticed how high your property taxes [education], health/auto insurances are).

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 03:24 PM
I didn't even know what it was - just googled it. Some on this board (not necessarily you) think that people on either side are gung-ho for EVERY thing that their party(/new green deal) does. As this page shows, not so. I believe that the government should spend less than they bring in - just like I do.Sorry, I never saw you clamoring for a balanced budget or running a surplus to pay down debt under Trump.

Maybe you could show a link to that.

And we should start by getting our own house in order (taking care of our own) before inviting anyone else in. And before someone claims I'm racist - I've got nothing against the (brown) Indian PHDs who populate Google or (black) Nigerians who know English and are net contributors (instead of drains - in case you haven't noticed how high your property taxes [education], health/auto insurances are).It doesn't work like that. I have no idea why people think a government can't address more than one issue at a time.

rmt
01-03-2019, 03:46 PM
Sorry, I never saw you clamoring for a balanced budget or running a surplus to pay down debt under Trump.

Maybe you could show a link to that.

It doesn't work like that. I have no idea why people think a government can't address more than one issue at a time.

I recognized that Trump had to get the economy going - deregulation, etc and it's in a pretty good place now (see below). Trump doesn't believe in entitlement reform. I do - it's just like the FL pension/COLA adjustment - yes, some pain but a necessity to save the whole system (unlike CA - see history below). Better to do reform, get a little less but make sure the system is sustainable.

8:15 am ADP employment Dec. 271,000 -- Nov. 157,000

https://www.city-journal.org/html/pension-fund-ate-california-13528.html

Don't some people on this board jump to one is racist if one is against masses of un(der)educated, non-English speaking, low-skilled people and their children (who we must educate and feed) pouring across the southern border? I couldn't care less if people are black, brown, yellow, red (or orange :-) What I do object to is paying higher property taxes to educate them, paying outrageous uninsured motorist insurance because none of them are insured, and higher health insurance rates because someone must pay for their visits to the hospital. Instead, there are SO many of them, that they aren't forced to learn English (I can go to the mall and they look at me funny because I don't speak Spanish) and don't assimilate. Whatever happened to the melting pot - what are they coming here for if they're just going to set up little towns similar to what they left behind?

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 04:14 PM
:lol "had to get the economy going"

It was going fine. There was no reason to blow a hole in the budget to give money to people who just pocketed it. Now there will be fewer options available when the economy really needs to get going.

DarrinS
01-03-2019, 04:21 PM
:lol "had to get the economy going"

It was going fine. There was no reason to blow a hole in the budget to give money to people who just pocketed it. Now there will be fewer options available when the economy really needs to get going.

I like how taking away less of of people's income is considered giving them money.

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 04:25 PM
I like how taking away less of of people's income is considered giving them money.Whatever, Daddy Warbucks. The cuts weren't necessary. You don't give a fuck about the national debt either.

rmt
01-03-2019, 04:39 PM
Whatever, Daddy Warbucks. The cuts weren't necessary. You don't give a fuck about the national debt either.

I doubt you were concerned when Obama was giving out his shovel ready jobs and Cash for Clunkers. Why don't we just call it a draw and admit that as long as it's my/your side spending it, there's no voiced objection?

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 05:07 PM
I doubt you were concerned when Obama was giving out his shovel ready jobs and Cash for Clunkers. Why don't we just call it a draw and admit that as long as it's my/your side spending it, there's no voiced objection?The economy actually needed stimulus back then. I am all for deficit spending when it makes sense. It didn't make sense for the last six years or so.

rmt
01-03-2019, 05:36 PM
The economy actually needed stimulus back then. I am all for deficit spending when it makes sense. It didn't make sense for the last six years or so.

Stimulus? Do you mean those plants and flowers that my city planted in the medians?

rmt
01-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Or that "g***** stupid" (as bou would say) waste of perfectly good cars and used parts crushed into nothingness? That must be the worst idea of the century.

koriwhat
01-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Stimulus? Do you mean those plants and flowers that my city planted in the medians?

shit got our economy roaring in the high 2's and very fucking low 3's. lmao!

boutons_deux
01-03-2019, 05:39 PM
I doubt you were concerned when Obama was giving out his shovel ready jobs and Cash for Clunkers. Why don't we just call it a draw and admit that as long as it's my/your side spending it, there's no voiced objection?

Obama was doing The Right Thing, Keynesian govt spending to replace the spending lost from The Banksters Great Jobs Depression.

He should have done much more, but Repugs wanted to keep citizens in maximum pain, the economy depressed in order to hurt, blame Obama.

Of course, Obama's great mistake, along with Fed and Treasury, was to bail out Wall Street rather than bail out Main St.

Trash/Repugs/oligarchy cutting taxes while the economy was strong and grown was exactly the wrong move. Increased tax receipts should have been used to pay down the debt.

rmt
01-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Obama was doing The Right Thing, Keynesian govt spending to replace the spending lost from The Banksters Great Jobs Depression.

He should have done much more, but Repugs wanted to keep citizens in maximum pain, the economy depressed in order to hurt, blame Obama.

Of course, Obama's great mistake, along with Fed and Treasury, was to bail out Wall Street rather than bail out Main St.

Trash/Repugs/oligarchy cutting taxes while the economy was strong and grown was exactly the wrong move. Increased tax receipts should have been used to pay down the debt.

What, not Medicare for all? or free college? Face it, bou, there is such OUTRAGE for every tom, dick and harry bleeding heart issue that the debt can never be paid down. No, we must help x, y or z because that's who we are, values, etc. Oh, these senseless wars but wait, Trump's pulling out too fast. Conditions are the border are inhumane, but we're giving more in foreign aid than to the border. And the list goes on and on.

ElNono
01-03-2019, 05:51 PM

Obama inherited a recession, almost 4 point GDP contraction and major jobs losses. Completely different scenario from what Trump inherited. The whole point of deficit spending is to have economic recovery and growth start offsetting the previous spending and that’s exactly what was happening until the last round of unpaid for tax cuts.

We had this discussion back in the Quantitative Easing days. How deficit spending makes sense to float up the economy, but once it’s working we never use the growth to pay back the deficit. This happened already with the Bush taxcuts and Medicare part D, and now with this round.

Now Democrats are not blameless, they gave tacit approval to the TARP, but it’s sad/hilarious how the so-called party of fiscal responsibility is anything but.

spurraider21
01-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Obama inherited a recession, almost 4 point GDP contraction and major jobs losses. Completely different scenario from what Trump inherited. The whole point of deficit spending is to have economic recovery and growth start offsetting the previous spending and that’s exactly what was happening until the last round of unpaid for tax cuts.

We had this discussion back in the Quantitative Easing days. How deficit spending makes sense to float up the economy, but once it’s working we never use the growth to pay back the deficit. This happened already with the Bush taxcuts and Medicare part D, and now with this round.

Now Democrats are not blameless, they gave tacit approval to the TARP, but it’s sad/hilarious how the so-called party of fiscal responsibility is anything but.
fake news, alternative facts tbh

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Stimulus? Do you mean those plants and flowers that my city planted in the medians?I mean deficit spending. You're way too reliant on right wing talking points.

Spurtacular
01-03-2019, 07:02 PM

Are we pretending that the legislative agenda of Democrats is not trending in that direction?

Spurtacular
01-03-2019, 07:07 PM

I don't think anybody has been seriously calling the Republicans by that title for more than a decade now.

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 07:43 PM
Are we pretending that the legislative agenda of Democrats is not trending in that direction?Since it's not being adopted by the majority, why are you pretending it is?

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 07:44 PM
I don't think anybody has been seriously calling the Republicans by that title for more than a decade now.Do you think Trump is fiscally responsible?

Yes or no.

Spurtacular
01-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Do you think Trump is fiscally responsible?

Yes or no.

He is considerably better than the two presidents who preceded him.

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 07:57 PM
He is considerably better than the two presidents who preceded him.How?

Explain how he is more fiscally responsible than Bush or Obama.

ElNono
01-03-2019, 08:00 PM
I don't think anybody has been seriously calling the Republicans by that title for more than a decade now.

Well, Ryan, who is departing now, even wrote a famed document about fiscal responsibility (IIRC, while he was running with Romney), pretending to be the adults in the room.

spurraider21
01-03-2019, 08:13 PM
How?

its common knowledge. anybody with an ounce of intuition would know

Spurtacular
01-03-2019, 08:16 PM
How?

Your implication is that he is not fiscally responsible. Tell us how so.

BD24
01-03-2019, 08:26 PM
Its clearly a jab at his avatar. It is far from subtle. I always wonder how the Donald got elected then I come to Spurstalk and idiots like you remind me how tbh.

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Your implication is that he is not fiscally responsible. Tell us how so.He gave the rich a huge tax break and blew a hole in the budget he never plans to close.

Now before anything else tell me how he is more fiscally responsible than W or Obama like I asked.

Spurtacular
01-03-2019, 09:02 PM
He gave the rich a huge tax break and blew a hole in the budget he never plans to close.

And how is this different from Obama/Bush?

spurraider21
01-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Anyway, if he really doesn't understand, maybe someone should explain. He won't like my explanation.
:lmao this is why homeschooling is a bad idea

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 09:04 PM
And how is this different from Obama/Bush?Now before anything else tell me how he is more fiscally responsible than W or Obama like I asked.

Spurtacular
01-03-2019, 09:07 PM
Now before anything else tell me how he is more fiscally responsible than W or Obama like I asked.

:lol Yea, you don't have anything of value.

Pavlov
01-03-2019, 09:14 PM
:lol Yea, you don't have anything of value.Now before anything else tell me how he is more fiscally responsible than W or Obama like I asked.

Spurtacular
01-03-2019, 09:17 PM
:cry Now before anything else :cry

You don't have anything on Trump being a fiscal step down.

:rollin

rmt
01-03-2019, 09:57 PM
Its clearly a jab at his avatar. It is far from subtle. I always wonder how the Donald got elected then I come to Spurstalk and idiots like you remind me how tbh.

Your question to me (below) doesn't seem as it you thought it was a jab at his avatar. Sounds to me like you thought I was reading too much into it. Now, you're telling me that it's a clear jab and FAR from subtle - so far from subtle that no one thought to comment on what they would normally jump all over (especially by a new poster)? Forgive me if I don't buy that. After I went back and read his previous posts, they are definitely liberal so unless he corrects me, I'll take his post at face value - exactly as written (with no assumptions).

This thread must hold the record for how many different names I've been called.

BD24
01-03-2019, 10:05 PM
Your question to me (below) doesn't seem as it you thought it was a jab at his avatar. Sounds to me like you thought I was reading too much into it. Now, you're telling me that it's a clear jab and FAR from subtle - so far from subtle that no one thought to comment on what they would normally jump all over (especially by a new poster)? Forgive me if I don't buy that. After I went back and read his previous posts, they are definitely liberal so unless he corrects me, I'll take his post at face value - exactly as written (with no assumptions).
So you are actually that stupid, thanks for confirming.

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 10:08 PM
bespoke public banks to partner with venture capital and the Federal Reserve to make the green grid?

...on a war footing

rmt
01-03-2019, 10:09 PM

I wasn't homeschooled - merely a product of the public (high) school system. But my formative years were in a school run by Catholic nuns (British style). My kids were homeschooled, and they turned out just fine.

And if your post is a knock on my taking his post literally, I suggest you reserve judgement until he says otherwise.

Winehole23
01-03-2019, 10:10 PM
With unions and diversity and opportunity for the industrious poor of America. (No irony.)

Th'Pusher
01-03-2019, 10:14 PM
I wasn't homeschooled - merely a product of the public (high) school system. But my formative years were in a school run by Catholic nuns (British style). My kids were homeschooled, and they turned out just fine.

And if your post is a knock on my taking his post literally, I suggest you reserve judgement until he says otherwise.

Why would a conservative troll pretending to be a stupid liberal correct your complete inabilty to detect overt sarcasm? I mean, read what the post says - I don’t understand it but I like it. Why would anyone say that? You’re embarrassing yourself.

rmt
01-03-2019, 10:21 PM
Why would a conservative troll pretending to be a stupid liberal correct your complete inabilty to detect overt sarcasm? I mean, read what the post says - I don’t understand it but I like it. Why would anyone say that? You’re embarrassing yourself.

And why do you think he's a conservative troll when his previous posts indicate he is not? Amazing how all of a sudden you guys who had nothing to say to a conservative troll trashing talking are NOW so aware of his sarcasm but at the time of the post, crickets. You guys think I embarrass myself all the time - I couldn't care less.

Th'Pusher
01-03-2019, 10:24 PM
And why do you think he's a conservative troll when his previous posts indicate he is not? Amazing how all of a sudden you guys who had nothing to say to a conservative troll trashing talking are NOW so aware of his sarcasm but at the time of the post, crickets. You guys think I embarrass myself all the time - I couldn't care less.

Oh fuck. Believe what you want...

spurraider21
01-03-2019, 10:45 PM

Yeah but you home school your kids while you lack basic reasoning skills. It’s terrifying having unqualified teachers.

boutons_deux
01-03-2019, 10:57 PM
...on a war footing

... only if the Capitalists could own the grid and rent it.

rmt
01-03-2019, 11:20 PM
Yeah but you home school your kids while you lack basic reasoning skills. It’s terrifying having unqualified teachers.

Regardless of how unqualified you think I am, they turned out just fine (despite me :-) Maybe you should worry about any of your future kids in CA schools.

boutons_deux
01-04-2019, 12:13 AM
Pelosi, like the Dem establishment, is center-right Repug

Nancy Pelosi kicks off second stint as House speaker by picking a fight with progressives

PayGo is a no-go: Progressive Democrats announce opposition to new House Democrats package of legislative rule

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/03/nancy-pelosi-begins-second-stint-as-house-speaker-by-picking-a-fight-with-progressives/

spurraider21
01-04-2019, 12:18 AM
Regardless of how unqualified you think I am, they turned out just fine (despite me :-) Maybe you should worry about any of your future kids in CA schools.
UC system is the best public school system in the country

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 02:28 AM
You don't have anything on Trump being a fiscal step down.

:rollinI just told you. You sure shut the fuck up about his being better than anyone.:rollin

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 02:29 AM
Regardless of how unqualified you think I am, they turned out just fine (despite me :-) Maybe you should worry about any of your future kids in CA schools.So catty.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 04:16 AM
I just told you. You sure shut the fuck up about his being better than anyone.:rollin

You told me your argument is that he is as a bad as GWB and Obama in one facet. Congrats on that killer point.

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 04:29 AM
You told me your argument is that he is as a bad as GWB and Obama in one facet. Congrats on that killer point.Nope.

You didn't back up your claim.

You surrendered again.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 04:35 AM
Nope.

You didn't back up your claim.

You surrendered again.

You're hammering hard; but you don't want to say how Trump is financially worse than GWB / Obama.

You're mad that I haven't indulged your nothing argument extra. :lol

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 04:43 AM
You're hammering hard; but you don't want to say how Trump is financially worse than GWB / Obama.

You're mad that I haven't indulged your nothing argument extra. :lolI already said how.

I accept your surrender. You agree that Trump is not fiscally responsible. That's all.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 04:52 AM
I already said how.

I accept your surrender. You agree that Trump is not fiscally responsible. That's all.

You said he did something that GWB and Obama did.

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 04:53 AM
You said he did something that GWB and Obama did.No.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 04:58 AM
No.

I'm not doing your ring around the roses. Let me know when you have something worthwhile to pursue.

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 05:03 AM
I'm not doing your ring around the roses. Let me know when you have something worthwhile to pursue.I already let you know.

You gave up.

Good choice, since you're an idiot.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 05:05 AM
:cry

Ashes, ashes....

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 05:06 AM
I already let you know.

You gave up.

Good choice, since you're an idiot.

:lol at the passive aggression, seeking a cheap w, and the lash out, btw.

:lmao Not exactly the hallmarks of a winner, bruh.

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 05:06 AM
Ashes, ashes....You gave up on yourself and defending Trump.

I don't blame you.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 05:09 AM
You gave up on yourself and defending Trump.

I don't blame you.

:lol Gonna cry yourself out, little guy.

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 05:09 AM
:lol Gonna cry yourself out, little guy.:lol You're the one who gave up.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 05:13 AM
:lol You're the one who gave up.

Saying I've given up on you is a little harsh. :lol

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 05:13 AM
Saying I've given up on you is a little harsh. :lol

You gave up on yourself and defending Trump.

I don't blame you.:lol you're an idiot.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 05:15 AM
:lol you're an idiot.

Lashing out like Blake won't get you W's, bruh.

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 05:16 AM
Lashing out like Blake won't get you W's, bruh.Your giving up gave you your L, bruh.

You never back up your claims. You always forfeit.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 05:19 AM
:cry We all fall down :cry

:rollin

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 05:19 AM
:rollin:lol fake quote white flag.

How many times will you surrender in this thread?

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 05:24 AM
:cry Muh nothing W's :cry

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 05:31 AM
:lol another fake quote white flag.

I admit they're not worth much when you just give up -- but all you do is give up. You never even try to discuss any subject or back up any claim you ever make here.

rmt
01-04-2019, 09:58 AM
UC system is the best public school system in the country

Isn't that the university system? How about K-12?

States with the best and worst schools

35. California
High school graduation rate: 83.0% (21st lowest)
Public school spending: $9,417 per pupil (8th lowest)
8th grade NAEP proficiency: 27.1% (math) 28.4% (reading)
Adults with at least a bachelor’s degree: 32.9% (14th highest)
Adults 25-64 with incomes at or above national median: 51.7% (21st highest)

California has the largest network of public schools in the country — and also one of the worst-performing. Only 29.2% of fourth graders in the state are proficient in math, and only 27.8% are proficient in reading — each the third lowest share of any state. While low, the fourth-grade reading proficiency rate is much improved from only a few years ago. Between 2003 and 2015, fourth-grade reading proficiency increased by 7.0 percentage points, far outpacing the 4.9 percentage point improvement across the U.S. as a whole.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/02/08/geographic-disparity-states-best-and-worst-schools/1079181001/

I agree with Pavlov that my post to which you are replying was catty. Another day, another mood.

Seriously, though, you can't go by rankings (it's just a general indicator to judge a school system) - my local public school is ranked A+ by whatever measure FL uses to rank them (too much teaching to the test/babying students/meaningless stats), but I chose a charter school for my kids. The best way is to talk to the parents and wherever you choose (don't know if there's much choice in CA [the unions are so strong], try to supplement the math - I recommend Singapore Math in K-5).

spurraider21
01-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Better than homeschool tbh

SpursforSix
01-04-2019, 11:27 AM

That's pretty broad. From my limited experience, there's a huge gap in education by kids that are homeschooled. At the top end, you have parents that are well educated and don't trust the local public schools to provide anything meaningful. I've seen these kids graduate HS early and excel in college. And on the other end, I've seen crackpot parents keep their kids home because they don't want to get vaccinations or are paranoid about the "system". Some of these kids are so warped and maladjusted that I can't see them functioning in real life.

The school system was so bad where we lived that I would have homeschooled my kid if private school wasn't an option.

ElNono
01-04-2019, 12:13 PM

:lol

Chucho
01-04-2019, 12:18 PM
:lol fake quote white flag.

How many times will you surrender in this thread?

He's the Frenchman of ST...except way more Ls

ElNono
01-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Hope rmt is safe, tbh, just heard about the deadly accident in Florida

rmt
01-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Hope rmt is safe, tbh, just heard about the deadly accident in Florida

Thanks, it's further north. So tragic - I hear it's mostly kids.

rmt
01-04-2019, 12:35 PM

I think that the perception of homeschooling will gradually change with the numerous online options available. Most homeschoolers I know NOW only do high school - basically virtual high school/dual enrollment with cc/univ - not the way I did homeschooling where I taught them to read and write and all the way up until I sent them to high school (didn't want to mess with the credits needed for college). I think it's great that there are so many options available (well, not in CA with its strong unions where you have to do public school or homeschooling - they can't mix and match the way we can in FL where I can teach, send them to 2 public school class like Spanish and take whichever accredited [free] Florida Virtual School classes I choose).

BTW, after experiencing both systems, my kids all want to homeschool their kids (probably not feasible on one income these days). They see public school as inefficient, full of busy work, and restrictive. They love the freedom of homeschooling - doing everything off-season, time to do lots of activities (scouting, music, sports, reading FOR PLEASURE [which is virtually impossible with ps homework], pursuit of interest areas) and going at the pace of the individual student.

BD24
01-04-2019, 01:26 PM
This idiot homeschools her kids? That’s pretty frightening tbh.

RandomGuy
01-04-2019, 02:35 PM

About the same way the Republican party platform left out shoveling jews and communists into ovens.

baseline bum
01-04-2019, 02:43 PM
That's 3 of the dreaded "O" word - can't you find another word for the new year? That badly written document has overseen perhaps the greatest 200 years of prosperity ever.

The whole first part of that New Green Deal involves taking from those who have and redistributing it. Do you think people are going to stand for that? I've seen it happen in Jamaica in the late 1970s. The Prime Minister, Michael Manley, got very close to Fidel Castro and resulted in the hollowing out of Jamaica's middle and upper class. Everyone with anything left - homes/buildings sold at basement bargain prices. The money and intellect left and went to Miami, New York or Toronto - leaving a huge gap and all the poor who couldn't afford to get out - not a pretty sight - inflation skyrocketed (believe it or not, I remember when a Jamaican dollar was worth more than an American dollar - now it's $128 JA to $1 US).

Beyond the theft (because that's what it is), it does no one any good to be handed anything - that decreases motivation to strive and creates ill-will among families, population, etc.

So you're a black Jamaican again motherfucker?

rmt
01-05-2019, 04:09 AM
So you're a black Jamaican again motherfucker?

Again, I never claimed to be black. Some posters just ASSUME that there are only black Jamaicans. Back in the day, Jamaica was a British colony (same as Hong Kong) so there was no visa needed to travel between the colonies - so many Chinese people came to Jamaica (same as Indians). My mother was born in Jamaica while my father and grandparents were born in China. From Wikipedia:

Ethnic origins

Jamaica's population, 1961–2003

The streets of Montego Bay, Jamaica
Ethnic Group %
Black or Black Mixed[1] 92.1%
Mixed non-Black[1] 6.1%
Asian[1] 0.8%
Other[1] 0.4%
Unspecified[1] 0.7%
The Jamaican national motto is 'Out of Many One People', based on the population's multiracial roots. The motto is represented on the Coat of Arms, showing a male and female member of the Taino Indian tribe standing on either side of a shield which bears a red cross with five golden pineapples.[64]

Most of Jamaica's population is of African or partially African descent with many being able to trace their origins to the Western and Central African countries of Ghana and Cameroon,[65] as well as Europe[66] and Asia.[67] Like many other anglophone Caribbean countries, many Jamaicans with mixed ancestry self-report as black.[68] The prominent black nationalist Marcus Garvey is possibly the most famous Jamaican who was of full African heritage. Other famous full African Jamaicans include the Maroons of Accompong and other settlements, who were the descendants of escaped slaves that introduced the jerk cooking technique to the world. Many Maroons continue to have their own traditions and speak their own language, known locally as 'Kromanti'.

It is extremely uncommon for Jamaicans to identify themselves by race as is prominent in countries like the United States where the race of a person is hyphenated with the ethnicity proceeding the nationality, for example, the American usage of the terms, White-American or African-American. Due to its history, most Jamaicans describe their nationality as a race in and of itself where they identify as simply being 'Jamaican' regardless of ethnicity.[69][68]

Asians form the second-largest group and include Indo-Jamaicans and Chinese Jamaicans.[70] Most are descended from indentured workers brought by the British colonial government to fill labour shortages following the abolition of slavery in 1838. Prominent Indian Jamaicans include jockey Shaun Bridgmohan, who was the first Jamaican in the Kentucky Derby, and Miss Jamaica World and Miss Universe winner Yendi Phillips. The southwestern parish of Westmoreland is famous for its large population of Indo-Jamaicans.[71]

Along with their Indian counterparts, Chinese Jamaicans have also played an integral part in Jamaica's community and history. Prominent descendants of this group include Canadian billionaire investor Michael Lee-Chin, supermodels Naomi Campbell and Tyson Beckford, and VP Records founder Vincent "Randy" Chin.

Just as Wiki indicates, Jamaicans don't see race the way Americans do. There are so many inter-racial marriages, so many "mixed" children - it's just the way it is. I was astounded at the way Americans view race when it's no big deal where I come from. Here are some past Jamaican beauty queens - as you can see many are mixed race - mostly, the older pics.

https://butterflyexpressions.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/jamaica-at-50-jamaican-beauties-of-the-past-50-years/

There was even a Chinese Miss Jamaica - Patsy Yuen, who placed 3rd in Miss World (second from the left):

https://alchetron.com/Patsy-Yuen

baseline bum
01-05-2019, 08:12 AM
Again, I never claimed to be black. Some posters just ASSUME that there are only black Jamaicans. Back in the day, Jamaica was a British colony (same as Hong Kong) so there was no visa needed to travel between the colonies - so many Chinese people came to Jamaica (same as Indians). My mother was born in Jamaica while my father and grandparents were born in China. From Wikipedia:

Ethnic origins

Jamaica's population, 1961–2003

The streets of Montego Bay, Jamaica
Ethnic Group %
Black or Black Mixed[1] 92.1%
Mixed non-Black[1] 6.1%
Asian[1] 0.8%
Other[1] 0.4%
Unspecified[1] 0.7%
The Jamaican national motto is 'Out of Many One People', based on the population's multiracial roots. The motto is represented on the Coat of Arms, showing a male and female member of the Taino Indian tribe standing on either side of a shield which bears a red cross with five golden pineapples.[64]

Most of Jamaica's population is of African or partially African descent with many being able to trace their origins to the Western and Central African countries of Ghana and Cameroon,[65] as well as Europe[66] and Asia.[67] Like many other anglophone Caribbean countries, many Jamaicans with mixed ancestry self-report as black.[68] The prominent black nationalist Marcus Garvey is possibly the most famous Jamaican who was of full African heritage. Other famous full African Jamaicans include the Maroons of Accompong and other settlements, who were the descendants of escaped slaves that introduced the jerk cooking technique to the world. Many Maroons continue to have their own traditions and speak their own language, known locally as 'Kromanti'.

It is extremely uncommon for Jamaicans to identify themselves by race as is prominent in countries like the United States where the race of a person is hyphenated with the ethnicity proceeding the nationality, for example, the American usage of the terms, White-American or African-American. Due to its history, most Jamaicans describe their nationality as a race in and of itself where they identify as simply being 'Jamaican' regardless of ethnicity.[69][68]

Asians form the second-largest group and include Indo-Jamaicans and Chinese Jamaicans.[70] Most are descended from indentured workers brought by the British colonial government to fill labour shortages following the abolition of slavery in 1838. Prominent Indian Jamaicans include jockey Shaun Bridgmohan, who was the first Jamaican in the Kentucky Derby, and Miss Jamaica World and Miss Universe winner Yendi Phillips. The southwestern parish of Westmoreland is famous for its large population of Indo-Jamaicans.[71]

Along with their Indian counterparts, Chinese Jamaicans have also played an integral part in Jamaica's community and history. Prominent descendants of this group include Canadian billionaire investor Michael Lee-Chin, supermodels Naomi Campbell and Tyson Beckford, and VP Records founder Vincent "Randy" Chin.

Just as Wiki indicates, Jamaicans don't see race the way Americans do. There are so many inter-racial marriages, so many "mixed" children - it's just the way it is. I was astounded at the way Americans view race when it's no big deal where I come from. Here are some past Jamaican beauty queens - as you can see many are mixed race - mostly, the older pics.

https://butterflyexpressions.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/jamaica-at-50-jamaican-beauties-of-the-past-50-years/

There was even a Chinese Miss Jamaica - Patsy Yuen, who placed 3rd in Miss World (second from the left):

https://alchetron.com/Patsy-Yuen

Fuck off Wild Cobra

Will Hunting
01-05-2019, 08:25 AM
^:lmao

AaronY
01-05-2019, 09:23 AM
baseline bum's cyberbullying of a certain asian black female Trumper never gets old :lol

AaronY
01-05-2019, 09:41 AM
If there was a subforum here titled "BB takes turns dribbling up from half court and dunking on rmt over and over" I would subscribe to every thread with email notifications turned on

Chris
02-08-2019, 02:50 PM
This is a real thing.

https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1093930962654769154

Winehole23
02-09-2019, 08:10 PM

boutons_deux
02-09-2019, 08:20 PM
For 200M+ Americans, capitalism hasn't delivered The American Dream, or anywhere near it, so why not try democratic socialism?

(because the oligarchy will spend $Bs to block democratic socialism and

keep America as rigged Capitalism and DINO (democracy in name only, thanks to the fucking Constitution)

koriwhat
02-09-2019, 08:20 PM
This is a real thing.

https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1093930962654769154

he is such a fucking retard. how do these people get elected? the left is the party of retards.

koriwhat
02-09-2019, 08:21 PM
For 200M+ Americans, capitalism hasn't delivered The American Dream, or anywhere near it, so why not try democratic socialism?

(because the oligarchy will spend $Bs to block democratic socialism and

keep America as rigged Capitalism and DINO (democracy in name only, thanks to the fucking Constitution)

lmao slapping democratic in front of it doesn't mean anything just like slapping that on your party's label too. there's nothing democratic about socialism. you're a fucking nut!

Winehole23
02-09-2019, 08:30 PM
There are two planks of the GND which on their face do not directly relate to environmentalism: GBI and a federal jobs guarantee. It's been argued that theae relate due to jobs made obsolete due to the conversion to green enwrgy, but I digress...

I didn't know there were already GBI studies done in the US, one has just been completed in Finland.

Here's a link to a summary of the US studies: https://www.academia.edu/1159217/A_failure_to_communicate_What_if_anything_can_we_l earn_from_the_negative_income_tax_experiments

Winehole23
03-22-2019, 11:57 PM
climate change is a well known NATSEC threat, to wit,

Winehole23
12-04-2020, 02:52 PM
Found the actual text:

Summary of the Green New Deal
The Green New Deal is a four part program for moving America quickly out of crisis into a secure, sustainable future. Inspired by the New Deal programs that helped us out of the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Green New Deal will provide similar relief and create an economy that makes our communities sustainable, healthy and just.

THE FOUR PILLARS OF THE GREEN NEW DEAL
I - THE ECONOMIC BILL OF RIGHTS
Our country cannot truly move forward until the roots of inequality are pulled up, and the seeds of a new, healthier economy are planted. Thus, the Green New Deal begins with an Economic Bill of Rights that ensures all citizens: 1. The right to employment through a Full Employment Program that will create 25 million jobs by implementing a nationally funded, but locally controlled direct employment initiative replacing unemployment offices with local employment offices offering public sector jobs which are "stored" in job banks in order to take up any slack in private sector employment.

Local communities will use a process of broad stakeholder input and democratic decisionmaking to fairly implement these programs.
Pay-to-play prohibitions will ensure that campaign contributions or lobbying favors do not impact decision-making.
We will end unemployment in America once and for all by guaranteeing a job at a living wage for every American willing and able to work.
2. Worker's rights including the right to a living wage, to a safe workplace, to fair trade, and to organize a union at work without fear of firing or reprisal.

3. The right to quality health care which will be achieved through a single-payer Medicare-for-All program.

4. The right to a tuition-free, quality, federally funded, local controlled public education system from pre-school through college. We will also forgive student loan debt from the current era of unaffordable college education.

5. The right to decent affordable housing, including an immediate halt to all foreclosures and evictions. We will:

create a federal bank with local branches to take over homes with distressed mortgages and either restructure the mortgages to affordable levels, or if the occupants cannot afford a mortgage, rent homes to the occupants;
expand rental and home ownership assistance;
create ample public housing; and,
offer capital grants to non-profit developers of affordable housing until all people can obtain decent housing at no more than 25% of their income.
6. The right to accessible and affordable utilities – heat, electricity, phone, internet, and public transportation – through democratically run, publicly owned utilities that operate at cost, not for profit.

7. The right to fair taxation that's distributed in proportion to ability to pay. In addition, corporate tax subsidies will be made transparent by detailing them in public budgets where they can be scrutinized, not hidden as tax breaks.

II - A GREEN TRANSITION
The second priority of the Green New Deal is a Green Transition Program that will convert the old, gray economy into a new, sustainable economy that is environmentally sound, economically viable and socially responsible. We will:

1. Invest in green business by providing grants and low-interest loans to grow green businesses and cooperatives, with an emphasis on small, locally-based companies that keep the wealth created by local labor circulating in the community rather than being drained off to enrich absentee investors.

2. Prioritize green research by redirecting research funds from fossil fuels and other dead-end industries toward research in wind, solar and geothermal. We will invest in research in sustainable, nontoxic materials, closed-loop cycles that eliminate waste and pollution, as well as organic agriculture, permaculture, and sustainable forestry.

3. Provide green jobs by enacting the Full Employment Program which will directly provide 16 million jobs in sustainable energy and energy efficiency retrofitting, mass transit and "complete streets" that promote safe bike and pedestrian traffic, regional food systems based on sustainable organic agriculture, and clean manufacturing.

III - REAL FINANCIAL REFORM
The takeover of our economy by big banks and well-connected financiers has destabilized both our democracy and our economy. It's time to take Wall Street out of the driver's seat and to free the truly productive segments of working America to make this economy work for all of us. Real Financial Reform will:

1. Relieve the debt overhang holding back the economy by reducing homeowner and student debt burdens.

2. Democratize monetary policy to bring about public control of the money supply and credit creation. This means we'll nationalize the private bank-dominated Federal Reserve Banks and place them under a Monetary Authority within the Treasury Department.

3. Break up the oversized banks that are "too big to fail."

4. End taxpayer-funded bailouts for banks, insurers, and other financial companies. We'll use the FDIC resolution process for failed banks to reopen them as public banks where possible after failed loans and underlying assets are auctioned off.

5. Regulate all financial derivatives and require them to be traded on open exchanges.

6. Restore the Glass-Steagall separation of depository commercial banks from speculative investment banks.

7. Establish a 90% tax on bonuses for bailed out bankers.

8. Support the formation of federal, state, and municipal public-owned banks that function as non-profit utilities. Under the Green New Deal we will start building a financial system that is open, honest, stable, and serves the real economy rather than the phony economy of high finance.

IV - A FUNCTIONING DEMOCRACY
We won't get these vital reforms without a fourth and final set of reforms to give us a real, functioning democracy. Just as we are replacing the old economy with a new one, we need a new politics to restore the promise of American democracy. The New Green Deal will:

1. Revoke corporate personhood by amending our Constitution to make clear that corporations are not persons and money is not speech. Those rights belong to living, breathing human beings - not to business entities controlled by the wealthy.

2. Protect our right to vote by supporting Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr.'s proposed "Right to Vote Amendment," to clarify to the Supreme Court that yes, we do have a constitutional right to vote.

3. Enact the Voter Bill of Rights that will:

guarantee us a voter-marked paper ballot for all voting;
require that all votes are counted before election results are released;
replace partisan oversight of elections with non-partisan election commissions;
celebrate our democratic aspirations by making Election Day a national holiday;
bring simplified, safe same-day voter registration to the nation so that no qualified voter is barred from the polls;
do away with so-called "winner take all" elections in which the "winner" does not have the support of most of the voters, and replace that system with instant runoff voting and proportional representation, systems most advanced countries now use to good effect;
replace big money control of election campaigns with full public financing and free and equal access to the airwaves;
guarantee equal access to the ballot and to the debates to all qualified candidates;
abolish the Electoral College and implement direct election of the President;
restore the vote to ex-offenders who've paid their debt to society; and,
enact Statehood for the District of Columbia so that those Americans have representation in Congress and full rights to self rule like the rest of us.
4. Protect local democracy and democratic rights by commissioning a thorough review of federal preemption law and its impact on the practice of local democracy in the United States. This review will put at its center the "democracy question" – that is, what level of government is most open to democratic participation and most suited to protecting democratic rights.

5. Create a Corporation for Economic Democracy, a new federal corporation (like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting) to provide publicity, training, education, and direct financing for cooperative development and for democratic reforms to make government agencies, private associations, and business enterprises more participatory.

6. Strengthen media democracy by expanding federal support for locally-owned broadcast media and local print media.

7. Protect our personal liberty and freedoms by:

repealing the Patriot Act and those parts of the National Defense Authorization Act that violate our civil liberties;
prohibiting the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI from conspiring with local police forces to suppress our freedoms of assembly and of speech; and,
ending the war on immigrants – including the cruel, so-called "secure communities" program.
8. Rein in the military-industrial complex by

reducing military spending by 50% and closing U.S. military bases around the world;
restoring the National Guard as the centerpiece of our system of national defense; and,
creating a new round of nuclear disarmament initiatives.

here's the draft text for the establishment of the select committee:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jxUzp9SZ6-VB-4wSm8sselVMsqWZrSrYpYC9slHKLzo/edit

(C) The Plan for a Green New Deal (and the draft legislation) shall recognize that innovative public and other financing structures are a crucial component in achieving and furthering the goals and guidelines relating to social, economic, racial, regional and gender-based justice and equality and cooperative and public ownership set forth in paragraphs (2)(A)(i) and (6)(B). The Plan (and the draft legislation) shall, accordingly, ensure that the majority of financing of the Plan shall be accomplished by the federal government, using a combination of the Federal Reserve, a new public bank or system of regional and specialized public banks, public venture funds and such other vehicles or structures that the select committee deems appropriate, in order to ensure that interest and other investment returns generated from public investments made in connection with the Plan will be returned to the treasury, reduce taxpayer burden and allow for more investment.

relevant again

RandomGuy
12-04-2020, 02:58 PM
he is such a fucking retard. how do these people get elected? the left is the party of retards.

Matt.
Goetz.

Winehole23
12-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Echoes of TR's "New Nationalism" speech:

Practical equality of opportunity for all citizens, when we achieve it, will have two great results. First, every man will have a fair chance to make of himself all that in him lies; to reach the highest point to which his capacities, unassisted by special privilege of his own and unhampered by the special privilege of others, can carry him, and to get for himself and his family substantially what he has earned. Second, equality of opportunity means that the commonwealth will get from every citizen the highest service of which he is capable. No man who carries the burden of the special privileges of another can give to the commonwealth that service to which it is fairly entitled.

I stand for the square deal. But when I say that I am for the square deal, I mean not merely that I stand for fair play under the present rules of the games, but that I stand for having those rules changed so as to work for a more substantial equality of opportunity and of reward for equally good service. One word of warning, which, I think, is hardly necessary in Kansas. When I say I want a square deal for the poor man, I do not mean that I want a square deal for the man who remains poor because he has not got the energy to work for himself. If a man who has had a chance will not make good, then he has got to quit. And you men of the Grand Army, you want justice for the brave man who fought, and punishment for the coward who shirked his work. Is not that so?...

.Now, this means that our government, national and State, must be freed from the sinister influence or control of special interests. Exactly as the special interests of cotton and slavery threatened our political integrity before the Civil War, so now the great special business interests too often control and corrupt the men and methods of government for their own profit. We must drive the special interests out of politics. That is one of our tasks to-day. Every special interest is entitled to justice - full, fair, and complete - and, now, mind you, if there were any attempt by mob-violence to plunder and work harm to the special interest, whatever it may be, and I most dislike and the wealthy man, whomsoever he may be, for whom I have the greatest contempt, I would fight for him, and you would if you were worth your salt. He should have justice. For every special interest is entitled to justice, but not one is entitled to a vote in Congress, to a voice on the bench, or to representation in any public office. The Constitution guarantees protections to property, and we must make that promise good But it does not give the right of suffrage to any corporation. The true friend of property, the true conservative, is he who insists that property shall be the servant and not the master of the commonwealth; who insists that the creature of man's making shall be the servant and not the master of the man who made it. The citizens of the United States must effectively control the mighty commercial forces which they have themselves called into being.

There can be no effective control of corporations while their political activity remains. To put an end to it will be neither a short nor an easy task, but it can be done....

...We must have complete and effective publicity of corporate affairs, so that people may know beyond peradventure whether the corporations obey the law and whether their management entitles them to the confidence of the public. It is necessary that laws should be passed to prohibit the use of corporate funds directly or indirectly for political purposes; it is still more necessary that such laws should be thoroughly enforced. Corporate expenditures for political purposes, and especially such expenditures by public-service corporations, have supplied one of the principal sources of corruption in our political affairs.

It has become entirely clear that we must have government supervision of the capitalization, not only of public-service corporations, including, particularly, railways, but of all corporations doing an interstate business. I do not wish to see the nation forced into the ownership of the railways if it can possibly be avoided, and the only alternative is thoroughgoing and effective regulation, which shall be based on a full knowledge of all the facts, including a physical valuation of property. This physical valuation is not needed, or, at least, is very rarely needed, for fixing rates; but it is needed as the basis of honest capitalization...

...We have come to recognize that franchises should never be granted except for a limited time, and never without proper provision for compensation to the public. It is my personal belief that the same kind and degree of control and supervision which should be exercised over public-service corporations should be extended also to combinations which control necessaries of life, such as meat, oil, and coal, or which deal in them on an important scale.

...The absence of effective State, and, especially, national, restraint upon unfair money-getting has tended to create a small class of enormously wealthy and economically powerful men, whose chief object is to hold and increase their power. The prime need is to change the conditions which enable these men to accumulate power which is not for the general welfare that they should hold or exercise. We grudge no man a fortune which represents his own power and sagacity, when exercised with entire regard to the welfare of his fellows. Again, comrades over there, take the lesson from your own experience. Not only did you not grudge, but you gloried in the promotion of the great generals who gained their promotion by leading the army to victory. So it is with us. We grudge no man a fortune in civil life if it is honorably obtained and well used. It is not even enough that it should have gained without doing damage to the community. We should permit it to be gained only so long as the gaining represents benefit to the community. This, I know, implies a policy of a far more active governmental interference with social and economic conditions in this country than we have yet had, but I think we have got to face the fact that such an increase in governmental control is now necessary.

...The people of the United States suffer from periodical financial panics to a degree substantially unknown among the other nations which approach us in financial strength. There is no reason why we should suffer what they escape. It is of profound importance that our financial system should be promptly investigated, and so thoroughly and effectively revised as to make it certain that hereafter our currency will no longer fail at critical times to meet our needs...

...Of conservation I shall speak more at length elsewhere. Conservation means development as much as it does protection. I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use the natural resources of our land; but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob, by wasteful use, the generations that come after us. I ask nothing of the nation except that it so behave as each farmer here behaves with reference to his own children. That farmer is a poor creature who skins the land and leaves it worthless to his children. The farmer is a good farmer who, having enabled the land to support himself and to provide for the education of his children leaves it to them a little better than he found it himself. I believe the same thing of a nation.

Moreover, I believe that the natural resources must be used for the benefit of all our people, and not monopolized for the benefit of the few, and here again is another case in which I am accused of taking a revolutionary attitude. People forget now that one hundred years ago there were public men of good character who advocated the nation selling its public lands in great quantities, so that the nation could get the most money out of it, and giving it to the men who could cultivate it for their own uses. We took the proper democratic ground that the land should be granted in small sections to the men who were actually to till it and live on it. Now, with the water-power with the forests, with the mines, we are brought face to face with the fact that there are many people who will go with us in conserving the resources only if they are to be allowed to exploit them for their benefit. That is one of the fundamental reasons why the special interest should be driven out of politics. Of all the questions which can come before this nation, short of the actual preservation of its existence in a great war, there is none which compares in importance with the great central task of leaving this land even a better land for our descendants than it is for us, and training them into a better race to inhabit the land and pass it on. Conservation is a great moral issue for it involves the patriotic duty of insuring the safety and continuance of the nation. Let me add that the health and vitality of our people are at least as well worth conserving as their forests, waters, lands, and minerals, and in this great work the national government must bear a most important part.

https://ehistory.osu.edu/exhibitions/1912/1912documents/thenewNationalism

FuzzyLumpkins
12-04-2020, 03:11 PM
Fuck off Wild Cobra

It's interesting how people on this forum use these anonymous accounts in order to try to create new personalities.

Reminds me of gender dysphoria

Winehole23
12-04-2020, 03:29 PM
Ambitious discussion of the green growth vs. de-growth debate. The authors are UK based, so are most of the policy links.

What does ending our growth dependence mean in practice?

In a report published this week (https://goodlife.leeds.ac.uk/doughnut-shaped-recovery) by the University of Leeds, Dan O’Neill and I outline four critical strategies required to alleviate our dependence on growth, and highlight some opportunities for advancing these strategies as part of our COVID-19 recovery planning.

Shift the balance of power in workplaces

All else being equal, automation and other innovations gradually reduce the need for labour. Conventional economic wisdom says we must stimulate consumption growth to soak up the surplus labour. But there is an alternative and more environmentally sustainable way to maintain employment: share out the remaining work. Instead of using productivity improvements to drive down prices and sell more goods, companies could offer workers a shorter working week (https://neweconomics.org/2020/11/the-case-for-a-four-day-week)at a higher hourly pay rate.

This is not a solution that profit-oriented companies are likely to deliver of their own accord. It will require coordination, and a major shift in the balance of power (https://www.common-wealth.co.uk/reports/commoning-the-company) in work places, so that those who invest their labour are no longer systematically excluded from decision-making. The way that many corporations have behaved during this crisis — funnelling bailout (https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7jxvn/corporations-receiving-bailout-billions-have-laid-off-staff-and-paid-investors)money to shareholders while firing (https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7jxvn/corporations-receiving-bailout-billions-have-laid-off-staff-and-paid-investors) workers — merely underlines the need for such a fundamental redesign of corporate governance.

Reduce our exposure to private debt crises

We are dependent on growth to maintain financial stability because our economy is heavily burdened with private debt. Debts are promises to pay, often based on expectations about the future — usually of revenue growth or asset price growth. If those expectations don’t come to pass, debt obligations can become dangerously destructive. Unlike equity investments that shrink or grow with the fortunes of the firm, debts are fixed in nominal terms, and if the interest cannot be paid, they grow exponentially. Thus, high levels of private indebtedness can transform a modest fall in expected growth rates into a full-blown crisis.

It is worth stressing that public debt is not the concern here. We must resist any attempt to use our coronavirus debts as justification for a new round of austerity. Such cuts would be both unnecessary and counter-productive. First, 42% of our public debt (£875 billion) is owed to our own central bank, and can be rolled over indefinitely (as Japan has demonstrated). Second, with the cost of government borrowing negative in real terms this is the perfect time for the government to borrow to invest. Creditors are effectively paying for the privilege of holding government debt. Third, if the government were to try to cut back on spending to pay down the public debt it would simply suck more demand out of the system, and push more households and businesses into debt, exactly as the last round of austerity did.

The focus right now should be on reducing our exposure to private debt crises, by regulating to reduce exploitative and inflationary forms of lending (e.g. excessive mortgage lending (https://medium.com/iipp-blog/why-cant-you-afford-a-home-9c5cf009be21)), correcting the bias toward debt over equity in our tax system, clamping down on the use of debt for tax avoidance purposes, facilitating debt write-downs (https://jubileedebt.org.uk/report/case-household-debt-jubilee)for households in problem debt, and restructuring our banking system (https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Building-a-new-public-banking-ecosystem.pdf) to improve financial resilience.

Tackle rent extraction

Growth is required to protect the privileges of landlords, financiers, monopoly interests, and other “rentiers”. Rentiers do not create wealth; they extract wealth through their control of monopolised and scarce assets. As long as the economic growth rate remains higher than the rate of rent extraction, this injustice can be masked to some extent. But when growth stalls — while landlords, financiers, monopoly interests, and other rentiers continue to accumulate assets — the result is rising inequality. All the growth dependencies outlined here can, on some level, be understood as manifestations of a rentier growth imperative (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921800919304203).

Diffusing rentier power will require structural changes right across the economy, from the governance of platforms like Facebook, Uber and Amazon, to the intellectual property regime. Right now, with tax revenues from employment and consumption dramatically reduced, we have an opportunity to push for fairer taxation (https://www.ippr.org/research/publications/just-tax) of capital gains, dividends, and monopoly profits. Mounting rent arrears and the growing power of renters unions (https://londonrentersunion.org/) could also create an impetus for a fundamental shift in the ownership and governance (https://landforthemany.uk/preface/) of land and housing.

Safeguard basic needs

High levels of unemployment, indebtedness, and rent extraction are all-the-more dangerous in an economy like the UK, where essential goods and services like social care, energy, and transport are rationed by price — i.e. by ability to pay. In this context, the ability of the poorest to meet their basic needs is threatened by a fall in income, or a rise in prices. This is also why carbon taxes — which are essential to meet our climate obligations — are so difficult to introduce under the current system.

There is nothing natural or inevitable about this reality. Land, water, raw materials, and energy resources are gifts from nature — common resources that still account for more than half of our national wealth. In an ideal world, the rents arising from control of these common assets would be captured and invested in collective services and a strong social safety net, to ensure that nobody goes short on life’s essentials. Instead we have allowed private interests to profit from the control and exploitation of our common resources. Over recent decades, much of our publicly funded infrastructure has also been privatised, leading to rising prices for essential services like energy (https://weownit.org.uk/public-ownership/energy), transport (https://weownit.org.uk/public-ownership/buses), and water (https://weownit.org.uk/public-ownership/water).

To increase society’s resilience in the face of economic contraction, we must gradually correct these injustices. First steps should include strengthening our social safety net (https://neweconomics.org/2020/03/building-a-minimum-income-protection) and building better public services (https://neweconomics.org/2020/02/the-case-for-universal-basic-services) that meet people’s basic needs. Right now, with care providers calling for public bailouts, there may be an opportunity to de-financialise and democratise adult social care (https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/financialised-care-crumbling-how-can-workers-shape-what-comes-next/). With customers going into arrears on their utility bills, and many transport companies in need of extensive public support in the wake of COVID-19, this would also be a good time to extend the principle of free basic entitlements to our transport and energy systems.
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/oureconomy/green-growth-vs-degrowth-are-we-missing-point/

Winehole23
12-07-2020, 01:19 AM

Winehole23
12-07-2020, 01:41 AM
water futures

CosmicCowboy
12-07-2020, 09:15 AM
water futures

Water rights have been traded for years right here in South Texas.

Winehole23
12-07-2020, 10:04 AM
Water rights have been traded for years right here in South Texas.Financialization is meta level to water rights.

boutons_deux
12-07-2020, 10:12 AM
Predatory Capitalists will certainly buy up as many TX water rights as available,

then extract exorbitant water prices.

"You want water to live? Pay me, the gatekeeper"

Capitalists intend to own/privatize everything necessary to life as the expand the rentier society to which USA has degraded

Pro-business shithole TX run by shitbag Repugs will let the Capitalists run free.

pgardn
12-07-2020, 11:41 AM
Call it Green, don’t ever refer to it as practical. If it elicits any thoughts of saving trees you got the red team’s attention... knee jerk to communist plot.

Winehole23
12-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Call it Green, don’t ever refer to it as practical. If it elicits any thoughts of saving trees you got the red team’s attention... knee jerk to communist plot.lookie, Japanese commies!

Japan aims to eliminate gasoline-powered vehicles in about 15 years, the government said Friday in a plan to achieve Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga’s ambitious pledge to go carbon free by 2050 and generate nearly $2 trillion growth in green business and investment.

The “green growth strategy” urges utilities to bolster renewables and hydrogen while calling for auto industries to go carbon free by the mid-2030s.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/25/japan-carbon-free-climate-change-450447

Winehole23
01-01-2021, 04:16 PM
PAYGO exceptions carved out

Winehole23
01-19-2021, 11:02 AM
Private equity slavers over "the biggest build out ever"

Winehole23
01-19-2021, 11:50 AM
Manchin has reasons to big on green infrastructure

SnakeBoy
02-04-2021, 05:00 PM

RandomGuy
02-04-2021, 06:03 PM

Eyup. No doubt coal will be powering more in some places more than others.

Unfortunately for your brainwashed nazi ass, data for the wider country is available, as is a schedule of retirement of coal plants.

How many new coal plants are planned in the US in the next 10 years, dishonest fuck?

20 years?

https://yourenergy.extension.colostate.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/38/2018/03/2017USPie-1024x873.png

Why do you go for the cheap shot lies? Are you purposefully trying to set up softballs for me to swat?

But hey, if you want to play the local game, let's do that.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Oregon_Electricity_Generation_Sources_Pie_Chart.sv g/1200px-Oregon_Electricity_Generation_Sources_Pie_Chart.sv g.png

SnakeBoy
02-04-2021, 06:37 PM

ChumpDumper
02-04-2021, 06:39 PM

1357344019093725192Learn to code.

Or storm the Capitol.

Whatever.

Winehole23
04-13-2021, 10:05 AM
Corporate Merger Aims to Build a Water Privatization Giant

Veolia and Suez plan a $15.4 billion deal that would create the largest private water firm in the world.

The Biden administration’s proposed multitrillion-dollar infrastructure package will give states and municipalities plentiful resources to rebuild their physical environments. But it also serves as a target for financiers, privatizers, and monopolists, who see a large pot of funding in front of them, ready for snatching. That’s one context for the $15.4 billion merger announced Monday between Suez and Veolia (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/veolia-suez-agree-15-billion-144335557.html), two French firms that happen to be the largest water corporations in the world.
https://prospect.org/environment/corporate-merger-aims-to-build-water-privatization-giant-veolia-suez/

RandomGuy
04-13-2021, 12:07 PM
https://prospect.org/environment/corporate-merger-aims-to-build-water-privatization-giant-veolia-suez/

I am not the first person to notice that we are beginning this century in much the same manner as the last: being raked over the coals by monopolies.

boutons_deux
04-13-2021, 12:32 PM
One of those two companies in a South American country had customers with no water out of the pipes, and bullying the customers to pay their water bills anyway.

Water, electricity, Internet, money should all be public goods, the common good, and not exploited by Capitalists

But we all know the Capitalism is so much more powerful that compromised govts, that we are fucked out of wealth forever and stuck with shitty, expensive shit from Capitalists.

RandomGuy
04-13-2021, 01:01 PM
One of those two companies in a South American country had customers with no water out of the pipes, and bullying the customers to pay their water bills anyway.

Water, electricity, Internet, money should all be public goods, the common good, and not exploited by Capitalists

But we all know the Capitalism is so much more powerful that compromised govts, that we are fucked out of wealth forever and stuck with shitty, expensive shit from Capitalists.

fancy word for that:

Resource asymetry.

Winehole23
04-13-2021, 04:10 PM
the mirrored Biden/BlackRock diagram drew my eye

Winehole23
04-14-2021, 05:53 AM
"adding nutrients without addressing water quality issues" is a slick turn of phrase that makes the two things sound almost unrelated.

Des Moines Water Works will face a “catastrophe” unless Iowa finds a way to reduce farm pollution in the Raccoon River (https://www.americanrivers.org/conservation-resource/raccoon-river-named-among-americas-most-endangered-rivers/), which on Tuesday was named as one of the nation’s most endangered, the utility’s CEO said.

“It is clear, given the ammonia, phosphorus, and thousands of pounds of nitrogen that flow past our treatment plant, that adding any more nutrients to our watershed without addressing the water quality issues is going to lead to catastrophe,” Ted Corrigan said in an interview.

Corrigan made the comments as the national environmental nonprofit American Rivers added the Raccoon River to its annual list of the nation’s 10 most endangered list at No. 9. The Raccoon faces heavy pollution both from large-scale crop and livestock operations, American Rivers reported.
https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/2021/04/13/water-works-faces-catastrophe-as-raccoon-river-ranks-among-nations-most-endangered/

Winehole23
04-21-2021, 07:35 PM
Biden to pledge to cut emissions in half by 2030

President Joe Biden will pledge to cut U.S. greenhouse gas emissions at least in half by 2030 as he convenes a virtual climate summit with 40 world leaders, according to three people with knowledge of the White House plans.

The 50% target would nearly double the nation’s previous commitment and help the Biden administration prod other countries for ambitious emissions cuts as well. The proposal would require dramatic changes in the power and transportation sectors, including significant increases in renewable energy such as wind and solar power and steep cuts in emissions from fossil fuels such as coal and oil.

The nonbinding but symbolically important pledge is a key element of the two-day summit, which begins Thursday as world leaders gather online to share strategies to combat climate change.
https://apnews.com/article/politics-government-and-politics-environment-and-nature-business-climate-8b27e89270de7cb03f2e61f23d0ba4b9

Winehole23
04-21-2021, 07:41 PM
China confirms Xi Jinping will attend Biden’s Earth Day climate summi (https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3130377/china-confirms-xi-jinping-will-attend-bidens-earth-hour)t

Chinese president will address virtual meeting of 40 world leaders organised by the White House to tackle climate change.

Attendance signals chance for US-China cooperation as well as Beijing’s intention to take a leadership role on the issue

Winehole23
04-21-2021, 10:03 PM

Winehole23
05-23-2021, 06:26 AM
investment opportunity and job creation, if desired

https://ritholtz.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Screen-Shot-2021-05-23-at-6.00.47-AM.pnghttps://www.wsj.com/articles/green-finance-goes-mainstream-lining-up-trillions-behind-global-energy-transition-11621656039

SnakeBoy
05-25-2021, 07:43 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/3m3hl5.jpg

spurraider21
05-25-2021, 07:47 PM
how much are emissions from charging up a car off a grid that contains some coal plants vs filling up a car with gas?

would probably be good to know.

even though there already are studies on this which take that into account, and still hold that electric cars cut emissions in half, even accounting for the production of those vehicles and their batteries. and of course, nothing stops us from trying to change the sources that power any given grid to be more green

boutons_deux
05-26-2021, 06:34 AM
Exxon Mobil’s

Messaging Shifted Blame for Warming to Consumers

An analysis of the fossil fuel company’s documents also found it tried to downplay the dangers of climate change

scientificamerican.com/article/exxon-mobils-messaging-shifted-blame-for-warming-to-consumers/

Capitalism has so fucked the planet, and the fuckedness is unstoppable, irreversible, and arriving faster than all IPCC, etc projections.

Winehole23
05-26-2021, 07:50 PM
Shareholder revolts at Chevron and Exxon, Royal Dutch Shell ordered by a Dutch court to acclerate decarbonization

Winehole23
06-14-2021, 09:25 AM
meet the new boss

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3z-Mr7VkAI3-JY?format=png&name=medium

Thread
06-14-2021, 09:36 AM
meet the new boss

Biden is just itching to have his sit with Putin. A couple of Tired Old Shit Bags back in the squared circle like two WWF rasslers..."I hate you!"

"Well, I hate you too!"

I knew Biden was a mother fucker, but to see the Poot grovel in the shit with him is a bitter disappointment. I thought he walked tall, like Pusser. Instead he crawls, belly draggin'.

Winehole23
06-14-2021, 10:03 AM
Biden is just itching to have his sit with Putin. A couple of Tired Old Shit Bags back in the squared circle like two WWF rasslers..."I hate you!"

"Well, I hate you too!"

I knew Biden was a mother fucker, but to see the Poot grovel in the shit with him is a bitter disappointment. I thought he walked tall, like Pusser. Instead he crawls, belly draggin'.But for nukes, Russia isn't much of a rival to the US.

Thread
06-14-2021, 01:23 PM
But for nukes, Russia isn't much of a rival to the US.

Sure sells "newspapers" hand-over-fist.

Jesus H. Christ, President Trump doesn't buy it hook, line, and sinker and you'd a thought the world was coming to an end.

Everything is back in place now, just like Trump had never been President. I knew it wouldn't take ya's any time at all.

"All done. Haaaaaaaaarumpf!!!"

Winehole23
06-19-2021, 07:29 PM
de-growth and de-industrialization have entered the chat room

Winehole23
07-08-2021, 05:33 PM

Winehole23
07-08-2021, 05:33 PM
the bill:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/1244/text

RandomGuy
07-09-2021, 12:06 PM
meet the new boss

I think the free market will do in coal. Wind and PV have become cheaper, and not by a little.

Winehole23
09-17-2021, 04:19 PM
Echoes of TR's "New Nationalism" speech:

https://ehistory.osu.edu/exhibitions/1912/1912documents/thenewNationalism

another time, another country

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_Xsb_sWEAk280e?format=jpg&name=small

Winehole23
09-21-2021, 03:31 AM

the paper: https://www.inet.ox.ac.uk/files/energy_transition_paper-INET-working-paper.pdf

Winehole23
10-02-2021, 01:10 PM
Senate confirms eco-terrorist-linked Biden nominee who endorsed population control (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-confirms-tracy-stone-manning-eco-terrorist)Stone-Manning has been linked to a 1989 Idaho tree-spiking plot

Winehole23
10-17-2021, 10:49 AM
"war on coal"

U.S. power plants are on track to burn 23% more coal this year, the first increase since 2013, despite Biden’s ambitious plan to eliminate carbon emissions from the power grid. The rebound comes after consumption by utilities plunged 36% under Trump, who slashed environmental regulations in an unsuccessful effort to boost the fuel.https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-coal-rebounding-under-biden-171545123.html

ChumpDumper
10-17-2021, 11:00 AM
"war on coal"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-coal-rebounding-under-biden-171545123.html

As the article says, I wouldn't count on this lasting.

Winehole23
10-17-2021, 11:05 AM
As the article says, I wouldn't count on this lasting.market dictates, as it has all along. Presidents have little impact on global commodity markets.

Thread
10-17-2021, 11:13 AM
market dictates, as it has all along. Presidents have little impact on global commodity markets.

...translation:::Biden hasn't so we'll excuse him.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2021, 11:42 AM
market dictates, as it has all along. Presidents have little impact on global commodity markets.I think long term the policies will have influence.

Thread
10-17-2021, 11:49 AM
I think long term the policies will have influence.

I'll just bet you do.

CosmicCowboy
10-17-2021, 04:38 PM
market dictates, as it has all along. Presidents have little impact on global commodity markets.

I saw mountains of coal being loaded onto ships on the Mississippi when I went tuna fishing in Venice a couple of weeks ago.

Winehole23
10-17-2021, 05:59 PM
I think long term the policies will have influence.sure.

long as we have a lot of coal and no restriction on selling it, supply will tend to meet demand.

Winehole23
11-27-2021, 12:26 PM
Limits to Growth (1972) updated

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61uoFaC5BAL.jpg

This was its original projection:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFKkYwIWQAE3-G8?format=jpg&name=900x900

The 2021 review of data suggests it's almost, but not quite, too late to avert civilzational collapse in the next few decades. Whether that's correct or not, degrowth has reentered the chat room.

https://advisory.kpmg.us/content/dam/advisory/en/pdfs/2021/yale-publication.pdf

Winehole23
07-12-2022, 02:21 PM
If you live in Italy (https://www.itv.com/news/topic/italy) and want to insulate walls and windows and install a heat pump boiler or solar panels, the government will pay you 110% of the cost. Yes, you read that right.
All of it and then 10% on top, to be offset against your taxes over the next 5 years, up to a maximum of €100,000 per home.It is an enormous offer that is being taken up by huge numbers, leading the government in Rome to claim that in the first eight months of this year they have reduced emissions of CO2 from home heating by as much as they did in the last 20 years.
The cost in 2021? A cool €9 billion.
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-10-21/italy-offering-to-pay-full-cost-of-upgrading-to-green-homes-plus-a-bonus

DMC
07-12-2022, 03:57 PM
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-10-21/italy-offering-to-pay-full-cost-of-upgrading-to-green-homes-plus-a-bonus

Atsa matta you a gonna move a to a Italia?

SnakeBoy
07-12-2022, 04:09 PM
Limits to Growth (1972) updated

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61uoFaC5BAL.jpg

This was its original projection:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFKkYwIWQAE3-G8?format=jpg&name=900x900

The 2021 review of data suggests it's almost, but not quite, too late to avert civilzational collapse in the next few decades. Whether that's correct or not, degrowth has reentered the chat room.

https://advisory.kpmg.us/content/dam/advisory/en/pdfs/2021/yale-publication.pdf

lol det Biden Malaise sure is taking a toll on you

Winehole23
02-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Coal becoming too expensive relative to other sources of energy will be an opportunity for those willing to grasp it.

https://rmi.org/how-utilities-can-save-customers-billions-of-dollars/