PDA

View Full Version : Derrick White being assigned as the main defender on Kawhi...

Dejounte
01-03-2019, 10:48 PM
The trust they have in this kid. Wow. They had a PG being Kawhi's defender. A point guard! Even though Kawhi played efficient, White was always in the right spots. I think he did an exceptional job not being a pushover on defense. Kawhi is a top 5 scorer and Derrick was right there with him.

gospursgojas
01-03-2019, 10:54 PM
The trust they have in this kid. Wow. They had a PG being Kawhi's defender. A point guard! Even though Kawhi played efficient, White was always in the right spots. I think he did an exceptional job not being a pushover on defense. Kawhi is a top 5 scorer and Derrick was right there with him.

I think he did exceptional. Kawhi has no open shots except from the break away dunk. Any time White was on him (which was most of the game) Kawhitter was forced into a contested shot.

cd021
01-03-2019, 10:55 PM
Really good idea tbh. Thought he played well defensively. Didn't get bullied despite Kawhi being much bigger.

Hadn't watched the Spurs play in a couple of weeks, night and day how much better he looks on offense. Confident shot selection, deceptive moves allowing him to finish in the paint and fantastic court vision. :tu

UZER
01-03-2019, 10:57 PM
He nagged him all night. Good job by White. Dude is a good, smart defender.

timtonymanu
Kawhi is hard to guard and White did about as best as he could. Average game for Leonard by his standards.

Really exciting watching White play. He’s been more impressive than Murray his second season by comparison.

SpursDynasty85
So happy for Derrick. Gets injured right before his great opportunity to start. Has a super shaky start his first few games only to be the main reason Spurs are clicking imo.

DAF86
01-03-2019, 10:58 PM
When they said Gay would be out I said put White on Leonard and just double if Toronto wants to go to the quitter on the block. It ended up being the strategy even with Gay available.

John B
01-03-2019, 10:59 PM
Passing of torch. A reluctant Kawhi once encouraged to guard LeBron, now White on the same boat. Plus he managed to score for himself, distribute, a coming out party for Spurs new 2way playah!

NickiRasgo
01-03-2019, 11:00 PM
He's just fronting since Kawhi will be doubled-team eventually once he go to the paint but he did a great job holding him outside the paint.

MultiTroll
01-03-2019, 11:02 PM
So maybe RC Drunkford still has plenty of good player selection skills in him?

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-03-2019, 11:02 PM
yup

Kobe'sAchilles
01-03-2019, 11:03 PM
I liked the help D on Kawhi all night long. Kawhi isn't as quick as he used to be and Derrick just kept up with Kyrie, so I'm sure staying in front on nephew wasn't too hard for him. Smart play really by Pop and great execution by White. The dude might be All NBA Defense this year like Murray was last year

Dejounte
01-03-2019, 11:04 PM
So maybe RC Drunkford still has plenty of good player selection skills in him?

Don't say that to TheGreatShit, he won't believe you

Roscoe P. Coltrane
01-03-2019, 11:07 PM
So maybe RC Drunkford still has plenty of good player selection skills in him?:bobo

Spurs Homer
01-03-2019, 11:07 PM
Don't say that to TheGreatShit, he won't believe you

The Great Twat probably crying while he sniffs kawhitters underwear as we speak!

SpursDynasty85
01-03-2019, 11:10 PM
I liked the help D on Kawhi all night long. Kawhi isn't as quick as he used to be and Derrick just kept up with Kyrie, so I'm sure staying in front on nephew wasn't too hard for him. Smart play really by Pop and great execution by White. The dude might be All NBA Defense this year like Murray was last year

If Spurs become a top 10 defense this year he should get it more than Dejounte deserved imo. I like defensive rebounding but when I think of defense I think of one on one, help defense, smart defensive plays and Derrick White is better at this than Dejounte was last year. Dejounte is a beast rebounder though, no doubt. I dont analyze stats but just basing off of what I've seen so far.

marinoman
01-03-2019, 11:13 PM
Just unfortunate we have to wait a season for a Murray white backcourt

TDMVPDPOY
01-03-2019, 11:29 PM
kawhi isnt quick, but his foot skills seperating himself and defender is probably at its best atm, still he has no lift in his jumpshot, relying on length to beat the defender...

white needs to improve in that area against good dribblers, maybe reach in here and there to keep them honest or disrupt the dribble?

BackHome
01-03-2019, 11:50 PM
White was a pit bull on defense he doesn’t have to do anything just bring that type of D every game.

james evans
01-03-2019, 11:55 PM
refs weren't whistle happy tonight. thank God for that. Let's hope when White is guarding Curry or Harden that way the refs are the same way hahaha. I hope we continue to play this way.. btw, the Warriors are beating the Rockets right now. We are inching closer and closer to that 3rd seed

TD 21
01-04-2019, 12:15 AM
Phenomenal job by White, but also the latest example of how low IQ an offensive player Leonard is + terrible coaching by the Raptors staff. All he had to do was bully him in the post early and they could have generated good looks out of it. Instead, I'm not sure I saw a single post up, because he was too consumed with playing with the ball out of p-n-r, pretending he's Harden or something.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2019, 12:15 AM
Phenomenal job by White, but also the latest example of how low IQ an offensive player Leonard is + terrible coaching by the Raptors staff. All he had to do was post him up and they could have generated good looks out of it. Instead, I'm not sure I saw a single post up, because he was too consumed with playing with the ball out of p-n-r, pretending he's Harden or something.

I was thinking the same thing. White is half the size of Leonard. Leonard should've been posting up like crazy.

DAF86
01-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Phenomenal job by White, but also the latest example of how low IQ an offensive player Leonard is + terrible coaching by the Raptors staff. All he had to do was bully him in the post early and they could have generated good looks out of it. Instead, I'm not sure I saw a single post up, because he was too consumed with playing with the ball out of p-n-r, pretending he's Harden or something.

Kawhi is just a below average playmaker for a player of his talent. There were several times on this game where he had open teammates and he just didn't get them the ball. I don't know if it's a vision thing, not trusting his passing ability or just simple selfishness.

BSfromTX
01-04-2019, 12:37 AM
White did well, but
-pop had him force Kawhi to the right with help waiting
- as said, raptors did not adjust well
- kawhi was pretty passive with the exception of a few minutes here and there

That being said, white is a solid player and did very well tonight. With a little more confidence, he will be deadly

Budkin
01-04-2019, 12:42 AM
Kawhi is just a below average playmaker for a player of his talent. There were several times on this game where he had open teammates and he just didn't get them the ball. I don't know if it's a vision thing, not trusting his passing ability or just simple selfishness.

TBH he honestly seemed kinda shook by the whole San Antonio situation all game. He'll probably score 60 on us in Toronto.

marinoman
01-04-2019, 12:49 AM
I saw him attempt a post up once all game . Kawhi asked for the ball, white pushed him off his spot was ball denied, someone else tipped the ball out of bounds and on the inbounds they did something else

Slippy
01-04-2019, 01:06 AM
Kawhi got his points but they wern't easy. White had a hand in face on most of shots through quick enough feet and arms always up. Set the tone on D

He was great on offense too. Didnt let up on that end, also set up others up for easier scores

Slippy
01-04-2019, 01:06 AM
Kawhi got his points but they wern't easy. White had a hand in face on most of shots through quick enough feet and arms always up. Set the tone on D

He was great on offense too. Didnt let up on that end, also set up others up for easier scores

apalisoc_9
01-04-2019, 01:19 AM
White was OK, but it was mostly awful coaching from the raptors and Vanfleet. Kawhi was 8/13. He was extremely efficient for the most part.

YGWHI
01-04-2019, 01:27 AM

Not really. Kawhi asked for the ball in the post many times but FVF/Wright couldn't make a decent entry-pass. That's why all media Raptors killed Nurse and Fred for this game.

William Lou the guy from theScore that writes Raptors grades for every game, said that Kawhi didn't get enough the ball. Plain and simple.
Spurs double-teamed him but also neither FVF/Wright passed him the ball enough, esp in the 3rd quarter to make a difference and cut the lead.

tim_duncan_fan
01-04-2019, 01:37 AM
Kawhi made shots. He worked for those.

On a couple of instances, he was forced to pass it off when he couldn't get by Derrick.

The frustration they will cause in other backcourts is going to be so satisfying to watch.

YGWHI
01-04-2019, 01:38 AM

How he could trust his teammates when they were 6-30 from 3? Drive and kick for what? When they will miss all? He had 5 asts in the game which seems a miracle for the way their 3-shooter are missing wide-open looks

YGWHI
01-04-2019, 01:42 AM
To be honest, it wasn't Derrick effort on defense what impressed me most...he was good but team sent double and help. It was his offense very Manu-esque that I loved in this game.
He can build many good things from his last two games. Great job!

playbonner15
01-04-2019, 01:48 AM

SpursGenius
01-04-2019, 02:11 AM

I posted team with 94 defensive rating with him on court. Some ccksucker deleted post

UnWantedTheory
01-04-2019, 03:37 AM
How he could trust his teammates when they were 6-30 from 3? Drive and kick for what? When they will miss all? He had 5 asts in the game which seems a miracle for the way their 3-shooter are missing wide-open looks
He has a history of being an underwhelming playmaker though.