PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Raptors - Jan. 3, 2019

timvp
01-03-2019, 11:03 PM
DeMar DeRozan A+
First career triple-double against the Raptors. Storybook.

LaMarcus Aldridge A
Beast in the paint. Made the Raptors pay for starting small and lack of respect.

Rudy Gay B+
Wrist brace one minute, strong performance the next minute.

Bryn Forbes A
Confident shots. Great results.

Derrick White A
Defended Kawhi Leonard on one end, looked hugely improved on the other end.

Davis Bertans B
Fearless. Aggressive. Held up on the defensive end.

Marco Belinelli C
Effort was there. Efficiency wasn't.

Patty Mills B+
Welcome back, Frenetic Patty.

Jakob Poeltl C+
Offense rebounding a plus. Defense was lacking.

Pop A+
Great defensive gameplan. Great rotation. Thoroughly outcoached Nick Nurse.

Gotta watch that one again and will file full grades later :toast

MoSpur02
01-03-2019, 11:05 PM
I'm assuming you're a little too excited with the win to write a thorough report card tonight. Love it. Go Spurs Go

ginobilized
01-03-2019, 11:05 PM
You rule!
Thanks

BillMc
01-03-2019, 11:06 PM
Thanks as always Timvp :bobo

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-03-2019, 11:06 PM
just give em all an A+ and drank some malted hops, and see all you fucks on saturday

:toast

spurs10
01-03-2019, 11:14 PM
DeMar DeRozan A+

LaMarcus Aldridge A
Beast in the paint. Made the Raptors pay for starting small and lack of respect.

Rudy Gay B+

Bryn Forbes A

Derrick White A

Davis Bertans B

Marco Belinelli C

Patty Mills B+

Jakob Poeltl C+

Pop A+

Gotta watch that one again and will file full grades later :toast Thanks for all the stellar content leading up to and after this spotlight moment in our season. Great work!
:flag:

Blake
01-03-2019, 11:16 PM
I thought Patty was a C.

Other than that, I concur.

Fans: A++

Stabula
01-03-2019, 11:18 PM
It still hurts...

playbonner15
01-03-2019, 11:19 PM
Not Poeltsl's best game. He missed those passes although the Patty, White, DD tried to get him involved on the P&R. It just seems that only White could get him the correct pass on the roll

Ron Swanson
01-03-2019, 11:21 PM
:bobo

Corp1
01-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Was hoping for Kawhi and Green grades as well tbh.

callo1
01-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Poeltl better than a C+ imo.
Pop didn't even have to be there. This was about Spur player pride.

While all the players are going to say the right thing after the win, I can assure you, it isn't what they were/are thinking. Nephew's antics combined with the National media's ignorance rubbed them all the wrong way.

Webber trying to compare Nephew to Timmy in regards to leadership was insulting to #21 and all Spurs fans.

John B
01-03-2019, 11:24 PM
DeMar DeRozan A+

LaMarcus Aldridge A

Rudy Gay B+

Bryn Forbes A

Derrick White A

Davis Bertans B

Marco Belinelli C

Patty Mills B+

Jakob Poeltl C+

Pop A+

Gotta watch that one again and will file full grades later :toast
Thank Timvp. How about the fans?? Thought they were relentless on boing Kawhi

Avitus1
01-03-2019, 11:26 PM
Great grades for a needed “feel good” win.

Spurs Homer
01-03-2019, 11:26 PM
Fuck that puto!

weebo
01-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Poeltl better than a C+ imo.
Pop didn't even have to be there. This was about Spur player pride.

While all the players are going to say the right thing after the win, I can assure you, it isn't what they were/are thinking. Nephew's antics combined with the National media's ignorance rubbed them all the wrong way.

Webber trying to compare Nephew to Timmy in regards to leadership was insulting to #21 and all Spurs fans.

Of course brainless Webber would make a comment like that---jealousy of TD is great within that knucklehead

Kori Ellis
01-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Undercover Spur Danny Green A+
Missed all his threes. Laughed at Kawhi getting booed. But still pretended to be a Raptor.

BillMc
01-03-2019, 11:31 PM

this

R. DeMurre
01-03-2019, 11:32 PM
This is the Derrick White who dominated the G League, helped Austin win a G League Championship, and then dominated the Summer League...

MoSpur02
01-03-2019, 11:32 PM
Missed all his threes. Laughed at Kawhi getting booed. But still pretended to be a Raptor.

:lmao:clap:flag:

UZER
01-03-2019, 11:34 PM
I’m just glad the Spurs players showed some fire knowing this wasn’t just “another game”. Pops teams always have a way of being ho hum with stuff like this.

FkLA
01-03-2019, 11:34 PM

LDN :cry

Mugen
01-03-2019, 11:37 PM
Best regular season win that I can remember tbh.

That Nurse fuck got exposed by Pop (who hasn't even been that great this season). Fuck that 3 piece suit wearing POS, looks like a regional sales manager. Fuck Canada too tbh. :lol

Play Boban
01-03-2019, 11:43 PM
Nephew F-

Killakobe81
01-03-2019, 11:49 PM

That Nurse fuck got exposed by Pop (who hasn't even been that great this season). Fuck that 3 piece suit wearing POS, looks like a regional sales manager. Fuck Canada too tbh. :lol
Early poty candidate... Hilarious

timtonymanu
01-03-2019, 11:51 PM

I wish someone could put a clip of that, it was hilarious to see.

cjw
01-03-2019, 11:55 PM
White was close to A+ tonight

TDMVPDPOY
01-03-2019, 11:57 PM
so anyone know if green is out partying tonight?

Kori Ellis
01-04-2019, 12:00 AM
I wish someone could put a clip of that, it was hilarious to see.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1080997116921688064

Spurs fever
01-04-2019, 12:12 AM
Lol

DAF86
01-04-2019, 12:13 AM
From the top off my head without even checking the box score.

DeRozan - A - Only blemish was a couple of selfish plays.

Aldridge - A - Again, only complain a couple of plays. A botched pass from DeRozan and a couple of weak fadeaways.

White - A+ - Perfect on all aspects of the game.

Forbes - A - Not a perfect score only because he was probably the weakest link on D tonight (from the starting lineup).

Gay - B - some really good plays mixed with some really bad ones. All in all the good outweighted the bad.

Bertans - B - Nomal game for my man. A couple of jumpers and decent enough defense.

Mills - B- - biggest discreapency with timvp. It is true that the energy was the other, but by my count the bad surpassed the good, tbh. He was the only player that got me screaming at the TV with stupid decisions tonight.

Poeltl - B - not much offensively but he defended tbe rim pretty well.

Belinelli - B - I remember a couple of crazy jumpers and a couple of matador defensive possesions. So, business as usual for Beli.

Pop- A+ - a complete masterpiece, from putting White on Kawhi and doubling him, to the rotations.

SanAntonioSpurs
01-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Thank you for the grades Timvp !

I am thrilled we not only won, but won big. This 2 sides crap from Shaq was stupid and indefensible, doctorate or not. He broke down communications. He became parqnoid and stopped believing in our doctors and that we were going to support him. Even with his own medical team, we would go along with their recommendations. Pop and the Spurs take the long view and that is even more true with our best player. Why would we rush him back if the injury will reoccur or get worse? It would hurt us as well. We have a record of protecting our players and erring on the side of caution. Tony who is almost a decade older did have the same injury only worse and came back sooner. He refused to try to talk it out or work it out. He hid inside a gym in New York and instructed his guys not to tell us where he was when we went there to talk to him. Hide and seek from a grown man ? He was paid while he sat out a whole year and forced us into an asymmetrical trade. He refused to call David Robinson back. He would not give any information from his own doctors. Nobody pressured him to play either. You put all of those facts together and you cannot reasonably conclude that blame should be placed upon both sides fairly equally. It is crap.

All of that being said, I finally have hope that this could be a really good team. I will admit I was very pessimistic, especially as the losses mounted. However, things have clearly turned around.
DeMar has always been a great passer and scorer, but his assists are at an all time high while providing the scoring we need. LaMarcus is more in a groove and shooting and scoring well. That gives us two great scorers and one of them is an excellent passer. Gay is now asserting himself more to give us that third shooter/scorer we need. He also brings physical attributes that help on both sides of the ball. Derrick White is playing much better. His defense has been good and he can knock down jumpers. He knows the right play to make. Brynn Forbes is now shooting the way the organization has said he can. Dejounte is out and still needs his jumper developed, but he is a great defender and has great athleticism. Lonnie Walker played his first minutes and he has outstanding athleticism and handles. Poetl and Davis are serviceable to moderately good. Davis has athleticism and is not shy in taking shots. Patty seems to be playing better and with more energy. Obviously, he can shoot us in and out of games. He is still too short to defend anybody in the league. We have others as well. So, you put all of that together, you have a competitive team that can make the Western Conference Finals.

objective
01-04-2019, 12:19 AM
Didn't understand Nurse's coaching strategy. Seemed like very few attempts to get Forbes or Marco et al onto Kawhi all game. Contrasted to Golden State, Kerr understood that as great as Durant is, getting him a matchup advantage is worthwhile. Maybe he didn't care about a regular season game?

Keepin' it real
01-04-2019, 12:25 AM
This was the Spurs championship for the season. Anything else this year is gravy!

barakz21
01-04-2019, 12:31 AM
So, how did Lonnie look? Haven’t seen the spurs in a while, since I don’t have cable and it’s a pain looking for streams

stu scotts eye
01-04-2019, 12:39 AM
So, how did Lonnie look? Haven’t seen the spurs in a while, since I don’t have cable and it’s a pain looking for streams

Insufficient looks for a grade. He made his three he jacked up, but other than that he didnt touch the ball much. And on defense, both teams were just playing lackadaisical in those final 4 minutes.

Santa Ana
01-04-2019, 12:40 AM

:tu

cd021
01-04-2019, 01:06 AM
Really impressed with Forbes and White as well as LMA and DDR. Forbes looks downright arrogant on offense (that's a good thing considering how much he sulked when he missed last season) White was fantastic on D and great on offense. Aldridge bullying Ibaka per par and DDR showing out.

spurs10
01-04-2019, 01:51 AM
Missed all his threes. Laughed at Kawhi getting booed. But still pretended to be a Raptor. :lol

WallyTiger
01-04-2019, 02:05 AM
:lol

siraulo23
01-04-2019, 02:27 AM
fun game, great crowd

Spurs showed up, everyone showed up. Cant ask much more from Aldridge tbh, White was just superb
Most enjoyable win of the season by far

Phenomanul
01-04-2019, 02:51 AM
Just got home from the arena.... GREAT game!!!

r0drig0lac
01-04-2019, 03:36 AM
just like to add that Lonnie Walker will be a star, no doubt about it, keep up the good work my friends

cutewizard
01-04-2019, 03:51 AM
:bobo

barakz21
01-04-2019, 04:02 AM
Insufficient looks for a grade. He made his three he jacked up, but other than that he didnt touch the ball much. And on defense, both teams were just playing lackadaisical in those final 4 minutes.

I see. So, I remember he got recalled from Austin for the home game against Denver iirc but then didn’t play that or the next one. However the next few games after that, he wasn’t even in the lineup. Did get sent down to Austin prior to this game then?

stu scotts eye
01-04-2019, 08:10 AM
He did. Got called up before this one.

MI21
01-04-2019, 08:18 AM

Outside of every Spurs player and the AT&T Center crowd, you are the MVP of today. Just elite posting tbqh :cry