PDA

View Full Version : We saw first hand how horrible of a playmaker Kawhitter is

gospursgojas
01-04-2019, 02:32 AM
It was iso-ball for half the shot clock then either a shot or pass to a stand still player in no position to score.

YGWHI
01-04-2019, 02:38 AM
I wouldn't say he's that horrible. 5 asts in game where his teammates couldn't hit an ocean...doesn't sound that bad.

DPG21920
01-04-2019, 02:48 AM
Kawhi was completely neutralized. His line looks fine but it came in spaced out moments. He was rarely doubled and just couldn’t make a real impact. He’s not awful at playmaking but he’s no DeRozan

gospursgojas
01-04-2019, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't say he's that horrible. 5 asts in game where his teammates couldn't hit an ocean...doesn't sound that bad.

Meh. 2 of his assists were Ibaka pick and pops where LMA left Ibaka open and dared Ibaka to shoot. Hardly a facilitating feat. 2 other assists were outlet passes for dunks on a fast break.

When he got ball it was head down pound ball into ground dribble and if he didn’t shoot it, it was a pass to nearest teammate who prior to was just standing around watching nephew.

alpha_HaZE
01-04-2019, 03:21 AM
LOL Toronto was without two starters and Spurs played inspired basketball and Kawhi still had an efficient game 21 points with only 13 FGA. Danny on the other hand was 0-7. So, what am trying to say is that Toronto will be a much better team when we next play them. So, hold of your horses. It was a good win and a satisfying one. For many reasons, but especially because we are on a roll and playing well.

SAGirl
01-04-2019, 03:25 AM
He was double teamed pretty aggressively and trapped. He's could have created more if he was a more skillful passer. I thought the team missed Lowry... This is not the Spurs problem anymore so I don't care about this particular issue.

gospursgojas
01-04-2019, 03:26 AM
He was double teamed pretty aggressively and trapped. He's could have created more if he was a more skillful passer. I thought the team missed Lowry... It's not the Spurs probl problem anymore so I don't care about this.

I honestly only remember 2-3 double teams. When he went back to basket. On the periminter it was pretty much him vs white one on one.

SAGirl
01-04-2019, 03:28 AM
I honestly only remember 2-3 double teams. When he went back to basket. On the periminter it was pretty much him vs white one on one.
No white had a lot of help tbh. Sometimes Kawhiso even forced shots when doubled. As I said not the Spurs problem.
Ibaka was open a few times bc Aldridge helped in drives too.

The Raptors had quite a few open 3s they just clanked when they were not TO the ball.

phxspurfan
01-04-2019, 03:58 AM
He was double teamed pretty aggressively and trapped. He's could have created more if he was a more skillful passer. I thought the team missed Lowry... This is not the Spurs problem anymore so I don't care about this particular issue.

They definitely missed Lowry's ball handling and clutch shooting. Without Lowry the Raps are like the 2017 Spurs without Aldridge. Basically Leonard iso-ing and not much else going on.

r0drig0lac
01-04-2019, 05:31 AM
Kawhi was completely neutralized. His line looks fine but it came in spaced out moments. He was rarely doubled and just couldn’t make a real impact. He’s not awful at playmaking but he’s no DeRozan

I think Kawhi emotionally felt this game, he probably never played in such a hostile environment throughout his life, interesting things, he will still do his thing, but far enough away than he could under normal conditions

skin27
01-04-2019, 05:47 AM
like i said kawhi will have a hard time to win an mvp if he doesn't learn how to be a good passer

Stabula
01-04-2019, 06:07 AM
I don't think a team will ever win a championship with Kawhi at the helm playing iso IMO. Even in 2014 when we won it all and Leonard balled out Parker still had "the keys to the team", Duncan was the true leader, and we had the most fluid and team-centric offense in the league.

Spurtacular
01-04-2019, 06:49 AM
I didn't see enough ISO for Kawhi, tbh. The Toronto PG (not Lowry) was holding onto the ball way too long; I don't think he compliments Kawhi.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-04-2019, 08:04 AM
I think it was more Pop outcoaching Nurse. I’ve watched more Raptors games than I care to admit this year, and I think Nurse gets out-coached a lot. Raps are beating teams with superior talent, but not a great game plan. Nurse is rolling the ball out and letting the guys go. Works most nights because the Raps are deeper than most teams. Lowry will help when he’s back, but you can see him and Kawhi haven’t worked great together as Kawhi has taken over more of the ball handling. Games Kawhi sits Lowry looks good because he gets the ball back in his hands. It will be interesting to see how this season plays out for the Raps. Spurs could lose in Toronto because the Raps have enough talent to win most nights in spite of average coaching.

duncan2k5
01-04-2019, 10:55 AM
kawhi was very aggressively doubled everytime he touched the ball...that was cearly the game plan...not sure what game u were watching...and derozan is a better passer...being a better passer doesnt not make someone a better player...pippen was a better passer than jordan...so was larry bird...derozan is nowhere in kawhi's league...go in public and say this, you will be laughed out the vicinity...no need to act as if kawhi isnt a top tier player simply because of the bad blood...if last year didnt happen and ppl wanted to trade kawhi for demar, you would consider them dumbfucks

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 11:01 AM
He is not horrible but it is a weakness in his game. He is extremely isolated and others seemed to have some trouble getting into rhythm. It's something he needs to work on and it was what the Spurs had hoped he would finalize last year. I haven't seen a ton of him playing so I could be wrong but Kawhiso ball has not improved at all in this regard since leaving the Spurs. It needs to happen for him to take that next step. All the other comparable greats did it. He needs to get his while keeping his teammates engaged.

duncan2k5
01-04-2019, 11:15 AM
He is not horrible but it is a weakness in his game. He is extremely isolated and others seemed to have some trouble getting into rhythm. It's something he needs to work on and it was what the Spurs had hoped he would finalize last year. I haven't seen a ton of him playing so I could be wrong but Kawhiso ball has not improved at all in this regard since leaving the Spurs. It needs to happen for him to take that next step. All the other comparable greats did it. He needs to get his while keeping his teammates engaged.

spurs were one of the top teams in assists when he was here...not so much now...the difference is that he barely played with that team...they played a quarter of a season together...that's not nearly enough time to build chemistry...especially with their starting point guard out...when kawhi was with the spurs, and parker was injured, it was different because he played with us for years, so there was chemistry...HE doesnt have to be averaging a lot of assists for the team to be a great ball moving team...his game doesnt bog down ball movement, as i clearly stated we were a top assisting team with him...there were players on teams averaging more assists than kawhi, but thats because they are ball stoppers...kawhi is very efficient and calculated...he gets it and he makes a move...he doesnt dribble dribble dribble, then pass to get an assist...when he builds chemistry with the team, things will be different.

cd98
01-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Just wait until they play in Toronto. Give Kawhi Kyle and Jonas and the game will be much more competitive in their favor. Spurs played great from start to finish, so this isn't a knock on them, but Toronto played without two significant pieces. Kawhi didn't play terrible. Pop knew how to guard him because he knows him well. But by so doing, he teaches Kawhi what he needs to do to improve. There will be a new game plan in Toronto and Kawhi will have a killer game.

That said, I'm glad Spurs beat Toronto to a pulp all night.

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 11:29 AM
spurs were one of the top teams in assists when he was here...not so much now...the difference is that he barely played with that team...they played a quarter of a season together...that's not nearly enough time to build chemistry...especially with their starting point guard out...when kawhi was with the spurs, and parker was injured, it was different because he played with us for years, so there was chemistry...HE doesnt have to be averaging a lot of assists for the team to be a great ball moving team...his game doesnt bog down ball movement, as i clearly stated we were a top assisting team with him...there were players on teams averaging more assists than kawhi, but thats because they are ball stoppers...kawhi is very efficient and calculated...he gets it and he makes a move...he doesnt dribble dribble dribble, then pass to get an assist...when he builds chemistry with the team, things will be different.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. I don't need to look at stats to know he needs to improve the facilitating part of his game. He is a skilled enough passer but he hasn't put it all together quite yet. Whatever reason his defense is a lot worse than before too. He seems to be coasting half the time on defense where he played 100% energy level on that end with the Spurs. His one on one scoring ability has gone up but he eventually needs to tie things together like Jordan and Kobe did so his teammates can keep up. I would argue that in 2016-2017 season a lot of those assists were from simple pick and rolls and the bench's passing. Kawhi himself was Kawhiso ball.

UZER
01-04-2019, 11:45 AM
kawhi was very aggressively doubled everytime he touched the ball...that was cearly the game plan...not sure what game u were watching...and derozan is a better passer...being a better passer doesnt not make someone a better player...pippen was a better passer than jordan...so was larry bird...derozan is nowhere in kawhi's league...go in public and say this, you will be laughed out the vicinity...no need to act as if kawhi isnt a top tier player simply because of the bad blood...if last year didnt happen and ppl wanted to trade kawhi for demar, you would consider them dumbfucks

Eh, some double teams were aggressive, some were delayed, sometimes there was no double. Kawhis weakness is being a realiabe facilitator for him team. Not random assists here or there. Spurs fans have been saying that since 2015.

You can have low assists and still be a facilitator. It’s not always about the pass that scores. A lot of times it’s about the pass that leads to the pass, or using the double team to your teams advantage by reading the angles it’s coming from, and how hard it’s coming. When Jordan understood this, that’s when he became the greatest of all time.

timvp
01-04-2019, 11:55 AM
It depends what you consider "playmaking." Nephew is elite at making plays for himself. He's also unselfish and a willing passer. His court vision is below average compared to other high usage perimeter ballhandlers but Nephew is certainly capable of making plays at an efficient clip.

jehawk81
01-04-2019, 12:49 PM

^^
Kawhi fanboy, tbh

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2019, 02:06 PM
I think it was more Pop outcoaching Nurse. I’ve watched more Raptors games than I care to admit this year, and I think Nurse gets out-coached a lot. Raps are beating teams with superior talent, but not a great game plan. Nurse is rolling the ball out and letting the guys go. Works most nights because the Raps are deeper than most teams. Lowry will help when he’s back, but you can see him and Kawhi haven’t worked great together as Kawhi has taken over more of the ball handling. Games Kawhi sits Lowry looks good because he gets the ball back in his hands. It will be interesting to see how this season plays out for the Raps. Spurs could lose in Toronto because the Raps have enough talent to win most nights in spite of average coaching.

Spot on! The only move I’ve liked from Nurse this year is staggering JV and Ibaka. Everything else has the Raps winning because of superior talent when healthy.

They’re already calling him the white Dwayne Casey up here :lol

lmbebo
01-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Rick Buecher on his podcast said Kwahi becoming another Carmelo with ISO ball. That he gets the feeling that Nick Nurse is walking a fine line between letting Kwahi does his thing and trying to impliment what he wants.

RD2191
01-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Rick Buecher on his podcast said Kwahi becoming another Carmelo with ISO ball. That he gets the feeling that Nick Nurse is walking a fine line between letting Kwahi does his thing and trying to impliment what he wants.

:lol

playbonner15
01-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Spot on! The only move I’ve liked from Nurse this year is staggering JV and Ibaka. Everything else has the Raps winning because of superior talent when healthy.

They’re already calling him the white Dwayne Casey up here :lol
You gonna watch when the team plays on feb?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-04-2019, 03:50 PM
You gonna watch when the team plays on feb?

Oh big time!

Dverde
01-04-2019, 04:02 PM

I hope he wasn’t trying to get a job with The Clippers

duncan2k5
01-04-2019, 04:08 PM
funny how kawhi has the reputation of being an iso player that bogs down the offense (proven false), but LMA reputation is fine and dandy, even though he REALLY bogs down the offense with his isos, and gets mad when he doesnt get the ball and has to play in a free flow offense like we did in 2017 when we were one of the best assisting teams with kawhi as our main guy...just because u dont like the guy doesnt mean his way isnt effective...every player doesnt have to be lebron...kawhi was destroying the warriors playing his game...lebron got swept

Maddog
01-04-2019, 04:27 PM
I hope he wasn’t trying to get a job with The Clippers

:lol:lol

DieHardSpursFan1537
01-04-2019, 04:37 PM
He had a solid game but nothing extrodinary. He was being doubled constantly

HarlemHeat37
01-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Everybody already knows that he isn't a great playmaker..

Spurs' winning was expected, Raptors haven't looked good without Lowry, even while winning..their recent wins are mostly due to Kawhi dominating with help from 1 or 2 guys..it's not a secret that he doesn't make players better, but he doesn't really have to considering how efficient of a scorer he is..

The problem with the Raptors is that Lowry is their only reliable passing playmaker and Danny Green is the only guy on their roster shooting well..if Green has a bad night(which has been happening more often with Lowry out) like he did vs. the Spurs, they don't have ANYBODY else that can shoot..

It's easy to defend any team that can't shoot, especially when you can just double Kawhi with little fear..

gospursgojas
01-04-2019, 06:59 PM
funny how kawhi has the reputation of being an iso player that bogs down the offense (proven false), but LMA reputation is fine and dandy, even though he REALLY bogs down the offense with his isos, and gets mad when he doesnt get the ball and has to play in a free flow offense like we did in 2017 when we were one of the best assisting teams with kawhi as our main guy...just because u dont like the guy doesnt mean his way isnt effective...every player doesnt have to be lebron...kawhi was destroying the warriors playing his game...lebron got swept

You are correct. LMA has a history of being a black hole that iso balls and bogs down offense. Same can be said about Kawhi. Being a fanboy, you won’t admit it tho.

gambit1990
01-04-2019, 07:19 PM
fake news.

Diego20
01-04-2019, 07:30 PM
Better than Porker