PDA

View Full Version : Pop appreciation thread

Brazil
01-04-2019, 08:34 AM
A lot of this board is treating him harshly.. dude lost it.. dude is not motivated anymore.. stupid rotation blabla but what he is doing right now is showing once again is still one of the best coach of this league, he is still got dat shit...

He had to deal with Manu retiring, Parker traded, Murray injury, his first draft pick out, the kawhi drama, a high usage dude to incoporate in the team, his wife who passed away last year... and here we go, once again the Spurs in the POs race, a superb win against nephew and the beautiful game back at the ATT center..

Pop said you can go all try to compete in this 3 pts league, I will work on the strength of my team and move the ball untill I find the best shoot possible, if it's a mid range so be it...

Season is still long and everything can happen but what he has done so far deserve praise and respect

To the GOAT coach

:bobo

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Was going to post something like this last night. Pop should get a ton of the credit for how well the team is playing. Even blowing out good teams left and right. Playing good defense, integrating a new roster and superstar. Developing people right out the G league. Keeping high character guys who are easy to root for. Ultimately, playing Beautiful basketball. Pop is a legendary coach. One of the greatest coaches of all time.

Mr. Body
01-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Pop is a fucking genius. Him and his staff.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-04-2019, 08:42 AM
:worthy:

Brazil
01-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Was going to post something like this last night. Pop should get a ton of the credit for how well the team is playing. Even blowing out good teams left and right. Playing good defense, integrating a new roster and superstar. Developing people right out the G league. Keeping high character guys who are easy to root for. Ultimately, playing Beautiful basketball. Pop is a legendary coach. One of the greatest coaches of all time.

:tu

Look at the roster, we have one legit elite playe, a borderline allstar who past his prime (LMA), a 32 y/o Rudy Gay, Mills, a bunch of washed up dudes (Pau, Marco, Pondexter..) and a bunch of dudes that 90% of NBA fans would not recognize in the street (forbes, white, bertrans...)... people who are not capable to recognize Pop work are a bunch of clowns tbh

He is obviously not perfect and has a lot of flaws but yeah overall Pop is a legend

SAGirl
01-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Signing in. He’s done a great job after a rocky start. It’s clear White’s development (and taking Cunningham minutes) has been a boost but Pop has done a good job getting the team to believe in themselves and getting them through some rocky starts and rocky episodes when they had injuries to White.

I criticize plenty when I don’t like what he’s doing, have to recognize when he’s done a good job.
:flag:

Dre_7
01-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Greatest coach of all time! :pop:

RC_Drunkford
01-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Ever since 2014 he is the best coach in NBA history. There is no doubt. But turning a team with most of them being bad defenders into a top defense with his SCHEMES? Who the fuck can do that? That to me is some impossible shit right there. Pop is just a genius. As much criticism as I give him, he is the best ever and I think he will get some untapped potential out of DeRozan especially in the postseason.

Mugen
01-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Took to long to get Cun out of the rotation and still gives Mills way too many minutes. That plus some really mind-boggling play calls at a lot of times this year. They should be 3-4 games better than what their record is if Pop wasn't pretty bad earlier in the year.

But the emergence of DWhite, going through LMA, his usage of Derozan, the improved defense/rotation in the last 15 games can all be directly attributed to him. The old man deserves some credit especially for the undressing of Nick Nurse last night.

offset formation
01-04-2019, 10:34 AM
A lot of this board is treating him harshly.. dude lost it.. dude is not motivated anymore.. stupid rotation blabla but what he is doing right now is showing once again is still one of the best coach of this league, he is still got dat shit...

He had to deal with Manu retiring, Parker traded, Murray injury, his first draft pick out, the kawhi drama, a high usage dude to incoporate in the team, his wife who passed away last year... and here we go, once again the Spurs in the POs race, a superb win against nephew and the beautiful game back at the ATT center..

Pop said you can go all try to compete in this 3 pts league, I will work on the strength of my team and move the ball untill I find the best shoot possible, if it's a mid range so be it...

Season is still long and everything can happen but what he has done so far deserve praise and respect

To the GOAT coach

Facts.

offset formation
01-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Signing in. He’s done a great job after a rocky start. It’s clear White’s development (and taking Cunningham minutes) has been a boost but Pop has done a good job getting the team to believe in themselves and getting them through some rocky starts and rocky episodes when they had injuries to White.

I criticize plenty when I don’t like what he’s doing, have to recognize when he’s done a good job.
:flag:

Criticism without merit is just bitching, tbqh.

01-04-2019, 10:46 AM
The good definitely outweighs the bad with pop. Benching Tim in ‘13 was a headscratcher, but no one even saw us winning another title in the 2010s.

Pop doesn’t get enough credit for managing egos/morale of the team as well. A lot of franchises wouldn’t come back from some of the devastating/controversial moments in Spurs history (.3, TP fucking a teammates wife, ‘13, LMA demanding a trade, Nephew...). Even how we started this season, a lot of coaches would have lost the locker room.

ElNono
01-04-2019, 10:53 AM
Troll thread?

superbigtime
01-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Straight up damn impressive. Pop is old and still finds a way through the upheaval to keep this team respectable and in contention. His wife's passing and the turmoil of last season, getting prima donna LMA back to beast mode, incorporating many new faces as our legends moved on, establishing and building up these fringe players into legit NBA ballers... It is pretty incredible. He isn't perfect, no one is. GOAT coach. Much respect and praise for face and leader of the organization. To me, COY so far.

SPURt
01-04-2019, 11:22 AM
I’m def happy for Pop especially after losing his wife last playoffs. He looks like he enjoys this team, they look like they have great chemistry. Mike Malone has an incredible case for coach of the year thus far, but I hope Pop gets it again.

R. DeMurre
01-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Yeah, it's hard to dismiss DeMar DeRozan getting the first triple double of his career, averaging career highs in assists and rebounds, and playing defense as something that just sort of naturally happened. Pop's influence is huge there.

LurkingSpursFan
01-04-2019, 11:41 AM
I doubted Pop last month but he has proved me wrong. Glad he is the coach and I am not. I did feel he is going coach awesome this year with the loss of his wife. People heavily involved in sports find solace in their art.

rjv
01-04-2019, 11:43 AM
lot of disappearing acts from the usual plethora of ST pop haters at the moment. typical. pop, in the meanwhile, is putting together one of his best coaching stints by showing the NBA what player development is all about.

bklynspursfan
01-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Most definitely. There were some unrealistic expectations early on, and we already know Pop and his staff are going to experiment, and tinker till finding what works. Not to mention the injuries, change of philosophies due to Murray's injury, and everything else the OP mentioned that got thrown their way early on.

Always felt this year he would be even more motivated after everything that went down last season. People think because he's not up getting ejected or whatever that he's not motivated, not realizing a lot happens behind the scenes.

Obviously players are performing very well too, but Pop's influence/coaching is a big part of putting them in position to succeed. Glad he's getting some Respeck on his name around here.

ginobilized
01-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Pop looks engaged and the new coaching staff is gelling, too.
Pop hasn't had the chance to teach in a long time, I bet he loves the new squad (and hates them, at times.)
He has been patient and has not been ejected yet this season.

The low turnover rate and obvious team chemistry and camaraderie is what stands out this year. Pau Gasol is cheering his ass off. Guys are pulling for each other and they are over-achieving.
Could be a N.C. State 1983 kinda team.

Spurs Homer
01-04-2019, 11:57 AM
My only question when the season started was, "does pop still really want to do this?"

I wasn't sure his head and heart were still in it - and I was enjoying every game - even during the 3-4 games where they were blown out by 30 pts a night and the cliff jumpers were calling for his head -

I just had that question - "is pop really still interested?"

I think Pop is healing from his losses (wife/manu/tony/timmy/kawhi) and his therapy is being displayed in this team and it is really interesting to watch.

I was thinking last night, "these guys are pumped - but is it as a tribute to pop? is it anger at kawhi?"

Whatever it was - I could see the passion - they care! You gotta root for these guys - you cannot hate this team because they are not loaded with talent but they have heart and they play the right way.

Might also be good coaching.

timvp
01-04-2019, 12:00 PM
:cry "But Pop should have played Player A as a rookie and he's too in love with Player B to play Player C the minutes he deserves even though I hate Player B but Player C is new enough to the roster that I don't hate him yet" :cry

rjv
01-04-2019, 12:02 PM
:cry "But Pop should have played Player A as a rookie and he's too in love with Player B to play Player C the minutes he deserves even though I hate Player B but Player C is new enough to the roster that I don't hate him yet" :cry

that describes all too much of ST to a T.

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Yeah, it's hard to dismiss DeMar DeRozan getting the first triple double of his career, averaging career highs in assists and rebounds, and playing defense as something that just sort of naturally happened. Pop's influence is huge there.

YES. So many gems to respect so far this season and how seamless and how well Demar has played for the Spurs is one of them. It's like the Demar mystique everyone loved in Toronto (nobody in SA fully understood it) but so seamlessly blossomed in SA. Pop knew that character was the main reason these moves were going to work and it was a big gamble that paid off!

DAF86
01-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Pop is a (if not THE) GOAT, no question about it. He isn't flaweless though, and many people here act as if he were, tbh.

The turnaround he is having with this team is nothing short of amazing, tbh.

Captain Marvel
01-04-2019, 12:09 PM
GOAT coach. He destroyed Nurse yesterday :(

jjktkk
01-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Took to long to get Cun out of the rotation and still gives Mills way too many minutes. That plus some really mind-boggling play calls at a lot of times this year. They should be 3-4 games better than what their record is if Pop wasn't pretty bad earlier in the year.

But the emergence of DWhite, going through LMA, his usage of Derozan, the improved defense/rotation in the last 15 games can all be directly attributed to him. The old man deserves some credit especially for the undressing of Nick Nurse last night.

Dude, you're one of the primary reasons why this thread was made. It's definitely your right to criticize Pop, but you go overboard. Judging by your posts.You would think Pop was one of the worst coaches in the league, Even when you try to praise him, you throw shade at him.

TimmyBuckets
01-04-2019, 12:12 PM
10/10 thread OP
:worthy: :pop:

Chinook
01-04-2019, 12:16 PM
This is why I was so keen to blame coaching early on. Folks thought the Spurs were locked into poor play due to their talent level. But good coaching can take a team far, and something between Pop and the players just wasn't working early on. The team will obviously cool down somewhat, but there's no reason why they can't be an elite offense and average defense the rest of the way. Pop gets paid the big bucks for a reason, and it's nice to see that demonstrated.

Brazil
01-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Troll thread?

?

ElNono
01-04-2019, 12:30 PM
?

Oh, you’re serious. Carry on :lol

Brazil
01-04-2019, 12:31 PM
This is why I was so keen to blame coaching early on. Folks thought the Spurs were locked into poor play due to their talent level. But good coaching can take a team far, and something between Pop and the players just wasn't working early on. The team will obviously cool down somewhat, but there's no reason why they can't be an elite offense and average defense the rest of the way. Pop gets paid the big bucks for a reason, and it's nice to see that demonstrated.

Honestly looking at the roster talent I thought it was a dead season and I was half serious when I said we should tank tbh... I was not blaming Pop tho I just did not see how this roster could have a good season and be able to play that kind of game, best ceiling was for me struggle to get a PO spot and a bye in the first round with our ass handed to us. This scenario can still happen but so far and for me this roster is overachieving. Most importantly instead of being a sad struggling team, they are fun to watch recently and a very likeable group of players doing the best they can every night... refreshing

and in all of that Pop has a major influence... so yeah propos to him.. the easy road for him was to quit but no he is still 100% with his players doing his best

I'm quite impressed

Brazil
01-04-2019, 12:32 PM

wtf

why wouldn't I be serious tbh ? there is nothing trollish in OP tbh... I really think all I wrote.. don't you agree?

tim_duncan_fan
01-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Imagine being Pop and shitting on Kawhi and the Celtics coach, who is pretty much heralded as the next Pop, all in the span of a week.

spurraider21
01-04-2019, 12:48 PM

you take the bad with the good. thats like laker fans saying "ugh if lebron made free throws we'd have 3 more wins this year"... but lebron is also directly responsible for about 100% of their wins. so you could argue they'd overall be worse off without pop despite those 3-4 games

r0drig0lac
01-04-2019, 01:06 PM
you take the bad with the good. thats like laker fans saying "ugh if lebron made free throws we'd have 3 more wins this year"... but lebron is also directly responsible for about 100% of their wins. so you could argue they'd overall be worse off without pop despite those 3-4 games

fair

Mugen
01-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Dude, you're one of the primary reasons why this thread was made. It's definitely your right to criticize Pop, but you go overboard. Judging by your posts.You would think Pop was one of the worst coaches in the league, Even when you try to praise him, you throw shade at him.

Crofl, Pop has had a good stretch and obviously he gets a pass here for all he's done and the rough year he's had. But Pop has had a TON of mistakes since 2014 (front office moves included). The Clippers series in 2015 was featured some of the worst coaching moves of his career. He followed that up by getting thoroughly outcoached by Billy Donovan the following year. I already outlined some real head scratchers that he had to start this season.

He should also get lion's share of the blame for the Patty deal and Pau deal.

I've given Pop a ton of credit when it's due and have called him out when he's been shitty (the bar should be higher considering he's an all-timer coach). It's something that's lost on this sub because the Pop suckers lose their shit as soon as Pop gets a hint of criticism. He looked overwhelmed and just not into it at the beginning of the year and I stated that I totally get it if that was the case because of the personal stress he's gone through.

Sure it gets hyperbolic sometimes but that's how this place works, where the hell have you been :lol

MarCowMar
01-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Things looked so grim at the start but Spurs basketball has been a joy to watch recently. It's that moment on the playground when all the bullied betas get together and realize they are collectively stronger than the alphas. Some of the most fun moments since the Kingslayer finals.

The return of Kawhi was cathartic beyond expectations and Pop handled the potentially toxic situation with grace.

Love seeing White and Poetl coming into their own. Is White the hidden centerpiece of this team? Defensive leader, PG, and--unlike Derozan/Aldridge--makes everyone around him better. Why not?

Don't know what the ceiling is for our team but they're sure as hell fun to root for. Cheers to Pop.

TrainOfThought5
01-04-2019, 01:18 PM
The patty and pau deal are terrible.

RC_Drunkford
01-04-2019, 02:13 PM
the chemistry of this team is just incredible. They really just need to flip Pau for a 3-and-D wing and they can make a run

Crazymaddopeyo
01-04-2019, 02:18 PM

Still not giving Pop credit? Damn if winning like this with this team doesn't convince you then you're just an all time hater.

BillMc
01-04-2019, 02:24 PM
When Pop is retired and we have some regular joe-schmo coach, we'll appreciate him a lot more.

DPG21920
01-04-2019, 02:29 PM
I was definitely wrong about players tuning Pop out. Seeing all those jarring ugly large losses said something to me other than just poor coaching at the time.

But clearly, the guys still bought in and now that Pop has elevated his coaching from where it was earlier this season, we see the guys still very much love and listen to Pop.

rjv
01-04-2019, 03:27 PM
But clearly, the guys still bought in and now that Pop has elevated his coaching from where it was earlier this season, we see the guys still very much love and listen to Pop.

koriwhat
01-04-2019, 03:28 PM
nurse looked lost out there last night when the camera was in his face. shit was hilarious! how the hell did that dude become a coach anyhow? he doesn't even resemble a bball fan tbh. lol

SAGirl
01-04-2019, 03:40 PM
That is so very true Chinook.

There is always a lot of trolling in all sorts of direction here, whether it be true fans from others teams using alt accounts, player fans, troll purists (need no other motivation to troll than to just piss people off), contrarians, antisocials, haters, etc. there is every flavor of troll you can think of here. The nature of the site also makes good natured team fans troll too from time to time as if there wasn't anything worth criticizing before."But, but, but..." Nothing, it's just ridiculous to pretend there wasn't anything to fix b4.

I do acknowledge you were one of the few voices from very early on that recognized there was a lot that Pop could do and the team needed to do. I think there was some real struggling early on and he was indeed playing some guys too much that needed fewer minutes, etc. (In part bc White was injured and bc he was very shaky immediately after coming back from his injury and in other respects bc he was giving veterans token minutes when they were young players ready to play if given a true opportunity). Besides White, Jakob and Davis fit in the category of players ready to contribute that weren't getting chances early on (or had quick hooks, not enough opportunities). He is now sticking with whomever works, which works just fine by me.

ElNono
01-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Except for QPon, he’s playing the same players everyone was hating on early (Patty, Forbes, Marco, White). Guys just meshing better, same for DeRozan... this is still a 2nd round fodder team, tbh, that’s his fault too...

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Except for QPon, he’s playing the same players everyone was hating on early (Patty, Forbes, Marco, White). Guys just meshing better, same for DeRozan... this is still a 2nd round fodder team, tbh, that’s his fault too...

Why is this 2nd round fodder? We can't beat the Rockets, Nuggets, Thunder, or Lakers in a 7 game series? You are truly a pessimist.

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Love motivated Pop, tbh. He's done a complete 180 to the beginning of the season. No more Cun, Mills' isn't closing or playing 30 minutes a game, has benched Gasol for Poeltl, Bertans is the first player off the bench, etc.

Dont trust him drawing up a good play at the end of games to save his life, but the good outweighs the bad.

ElNono
01-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Why is this 2nd round fodder? We can't beat the Rockets, Nuggets, Thunder, or Lakers in a 7 game series? You are truly a pessimist.

Without HCA? Maybe Lakers, maybe. Haven’t seen enough of the Thunder, but Dubs beats us too.

look_at_g_shred
01-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Love motivated Pop, tbh. He's done a complete 180 to the beginning of the season. No more Cun, Mills' isn't closing or playing 30 minutes a game, has benched Gasol for Poeltl, Bertans is the first player off the bench, etc.

Dont trust him drawing up a good play at the end of games to save his life, but the good outweighs the bad.
:wow

ElNono
01-04-2019, 05:49 PM
BTW, not hating on Pop. This roster simply has the same flaws everybody pointed out to start the season. It can’t be that we lose 3 games and we have to tank and Pop has to quit and we win 3 and Pop is the GOAT and this is a contender :lol

Mugen
01-04-2019, 05:52 PM

As Nono said, without homecourt, the Spurs aren't beating any of those teams (maybe LA) unless they make some kind of transformative trade before the deadline tbh.

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Without HCA? Maybe Lakers, maybe. Haven’t seen enough of the Thunder, but Dubs beats us too.

I think we could vie for a 3 or 4 seed. We may not be favored but with injuries and rest being key factors, we should not be automatic eliminations from any of those teams. Rockets will be the toughest at full strength but you shouldn't outright dismiss our chances of winning. It would be fun to watch imo.

look_at_g_shred
01-04-2019, 05:54 PM
BTW, not hating on Pop. This roster simply has the same flaws everybody pointed out to start the season. It can’t be that we lose 3 games and we have to tank and Pop has to quit and we win 3 and Pop is the GOAT and this is a contender :lol
It's about the team looking so much better on both ends. Derrick white has helped fix those flaws just enough. The ball movement on offense is so impressive to watch. It's so crazy to see what a black hole Danny was on offense.

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 05:55 PM
As Nono said, without homecourt, the Spurs aren't beating any of those teams (maybe LA) unless they make some kind of transformative trade before the deadline tbh.

Agree we wouldn't be favored but acting as if we can't compete is ridiculous.

ElNono
01-04-2019, 05:56 PM
I think we could vie for a 3 or 4 seed. We may not be favored but with injuries and rest being key factors, we should not be automatic eliminations from any of those teams. Rockets will be the toughest at full strength but you shouldn't outright dismiss our chances of winning. It would be fun to watch imo.

I don’t give them zero chance, but they undeniably would be underdogs. Plus playoffs are a different beast and we already know at least 1 out of our 2 ‘stars’ are not playoff performers, tbh.

TrainOfThought5
01-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Thats just ST being ST. Gotta love it.

ElNono
01-04-2019, 06:00 PM
It's about the team looking so much better on both ends. Derrick white has helped fix those flaws just enough. The ball movement on offense is so impressive to watch. It's so crazy to see what a black hole Danny was on offense.

It’s largely a new team, tbh, it’s nice to see some growth from within (somewhat expected)

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 06:17 PM
I don’t give them zero chance, but they undeniably would be underdogs. Plus playoffs are a different beast and we already know at least 1 out of our 2 ‘stars’ are not playoff performers, tbh.

I assume you mean DD. From what you've seen and how they've gelled, DD is also someone you can cheer for and know he can do some damage in the playoffs. He is proven to be an even better rebounder and passer. Great thing about basketball it helps to be multidimensional. Hmm and Aldridge can light it up but also seem to be content with doing whatever the team needs. Albeit they are not perfect but they are getting better and better in this regard imo.

Ex factor for sure is Rudy's health and Derrick White's maturity for sure and the bench obviously. Team will be fun to watch.

Rummpd
01-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Wait until after the rodeo trip - Spurs do well on that I am buying this thread.

Mikeanaro
01-04-2019, 06:20 PM
Pop is not perfect as a BB coach, also I dont like his political views but the thing is I take him any second of the year over Kiwitard.

ElNono
01-04-2019, 07:28 PM
I assume you mean DD. From what you've seen and how they've gelled, DD is also someone you can cheer for and know he can do some damage in the playoffs. He is proven to be an even better rebounder and passer. Great thing about basketball it helps to be multidimensional. Hmm and Aldridge can light it up but also seem to be content with doing whatever the team needs. Albeit they are not perfect but they are getting better and better in this regard imo.

Ex factor for sure is Rudy's health and Derrick White's maturity for sure and the bench obviously. Team will be fun to watch.

Actually, it’s LMA that turns into a vagina in the playoffs

dbestpro
01-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Very impressed with Pop and with White both who I have been very critical of. I think we will be fine as long as someone does not ask Pop a question about government or social issues.

ducks
01-04-2019, 08:50 PM

ducks
01-04-2019, 08:50 PM
Pop is not perfect as a BB coach, also I dont like his political views but the thing is I take him any second of the year over Kiwitard.

weebo
01-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Crofl, Pop has had a good stretch and obviously he gets a pass here for all he's done and the rough year he's had. But Pop has had a TON of mistakes since 2014 (front office moves included). The Clippers series in 2015 was featured some of the worst coaching moves of his career. He followed that up by getting thoroughly outcoached by Billy Donovan the following year. I already outlined some real head scratchers that he had to start this season.

He should also get lion's share of the blame for the Patty deal and Pau deal.

I've given Pop a ton of credit when it's due and have called him out when he's been shitty (the bar should be higher considering he's an all-timer coach). It's something that's lost on this sub because the Pop suckers lose their shit as soon as Pop gets a hint of criticism. He looked overwhelmed and just not into it at the beginning of the year and I stated that I totally get it if that was the case because of the personal stress he's gone through.

Sure it gets hyperbolic sometimes but that's how this place works, where the hell have you been :lol

As if you could have done better :lol...And no one is perfect. Even great coaches sometimes out think themselves..I'm sure you yourself have fucked up a sandwich or two at your job at Subway :lol

WallyTiger
01-04-2019, 08:56 PM
if the spurs in playoff

FkLA
01-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Long live the great Gregg Charles Popovich, tbh.

spurs10
01-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Right on Pop! :bobo

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Actually, it’s LMA that turns into a vagina in the playoffs

Lol. Oh. LMA has had some pretty crazy playoff performances. Hes had some bad series too but I like how he has become a better roller to the basket and hustles on the boards a lot more than what Isaw in the past.

Mugen
01-04-2019, 09:55 PM
As if you could have done better :lol...And no one is perfect. Even great coaches sometimes out think themselves..I'm sure you yourself have fucked up a sandwich or two at your job at Subway :lol

:lol Like I believe your fat ass has ever eaten at a Subway

DMC
01-04-2019, 10:03 PM
Pop sucks/Pop is a genius

L/W

Nothing else to see

Brazil
01-04-2019, 10:18 PM

smh..

This thread is not about the roster just about giving some props to pop for a change. You have an issue with that ? What’s your take he does not deserve some good job coach lately ? It’s one thread among numerous pop lost it and sucks

Also nobody is saying spurs are contenders..

Brazil
01-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Long live the great Gregg Charles Popovich, tbh.

ElNono
01-04-2019, 11:46 PM
smh..

This thread is not about the roster just about giving some props to pop for a change. You have an issue with that ? What’s your take he does not deserve some good job coach lately ? It’s one thread among numerous pop lost it and sucks

Also nobody is saying spurs are contenders..

I’m not against giving him props, what I’m asking is what are we giving him props for? Did he do some radical change that turned the proverbial tables around? Again, not hating, I just see the same rotations and players everyone was bitching about two weeks ago. Now they’re hitting shots, playing better together, etc

Rosewood
01-04-2019, 11:50 PM
Pop's the best coach of basketball ever.

"Best" doesn't mean perfect though, and a lot of overreacting "fans" seems to think that's the case.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2019, 12:24 AM
Pop is a (if not THE) GOAT, no question about it. He isn't flaweless though, and many people here act as if he were, tbh.

The turnaround he is having with this team is nothing short of amazing, tbh.

No one is flawless. No one. That should never be the bar or even relevant. Are there people here who won't criticize Pop? I guess, but there are far more people here who legit act like Pop is somehow holding this team back and is a net negative. That's fucking stupid.

This team looks good right now. Probably not at true contender level, but they definitely look like a playoff team and a lionshare of that credit goes to Pop. Shit, I thought that giving Bryn Forbes this kind of playtime was idiotic and look what he's turned Forbes into. And while most of the credit for that has to go to Forbes himself, Pop saw it as a possibility and put him in the right position to do so.

This team makes me feel the way the 2012 team did. That team had a shocking resurgence but they still did it with the Big 3. This is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT team! To retool around aging superstars that have been together forever is one thing. To retool on the fly the way this Spurs team did with a team that many didn't even pick to be a playoff teams and with the injuries they had early on? Wow man, its a master piece.

Pop should probably be the front runner for COY right now.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2019, 12:27 AM
I’m not against giving him props, what I’m asking is what are we giving him props for? Did he do some radical change that turned the proverbial tables around? Again, not hating, I just see the same rotations and players everyone was bitching about two weeks ago. Now they’re hitting shots, playing better together, etc

Pop is putting players in a position to succeed with an offense that no one else in the NBA is using. Not only that, but its basically two different offenses depending on who's on the court. Not only that he's taken a team full of players historically weak on the defensive side and has them playing pretty damn good D.

In the end you need the players to play well in order to make you look good as a coach but the coach has to put them in a position to do so. That's literally the point of a coach. Getting the most out of your players isn't easy. There's a reason so many teams always under achieve in this league.

ElNono
01-05-2019, 12:42 AM
Pop is putting players in a position to succeed with an offense that no one else in the NBA is using. Not only that, but its basically two different offenses depending on who's on the court. Not only that he's taken a team full of players historically weak on the defensive side and has them playing pretty damn good D.

In the end you need the players to play well in order to make you look good as a coach but the coach has to put them in a position to do so. That's literally the point of a coach. Getting the most out of your players isn't easy. There's a reason so many teams always under achieve in this league.

You know what the problem is, Manny? You can’t be the worst doing A and losing and then doing A and winning and be the greatest. Either Pop has been great all this season, the players sucked then and rock now, or Pop still sucks but the players got some solid wins despite of that.

I just want to know which is it, because when we get drubbed in the 1st/2nd round because Patty or Forbes can’t make a shot, or QPon is back on the rotation, I’d like to know who’s to blame, tbh

DAF86
01-05-2019, 01:06 AM
No one is flawless. No one. That should never be the bar or even relevant. Are there people here who won't criticize Pop? I guess, but there are far more people here who legit act like Pop is somehow holding this team back and is a net negative. That's fucking stupid.

This team looks good right now. Probably not at true contender level, but they definitely look like a playoff team and a lionshare of that credit goes to Pop. Shit, I thought that giving Bryn Forbes this kind of playtime was idiotic and look what he's turned Forbes into. And while most of the credit for that has to go to Forbes himself, Pop saw it as a possibility and put him in the right position to do so.

This team makes me feel the way the 2012 team did. That team had a shocking resurgence but they still did it with the Big 3. This is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT team! To retool around aging superstars that have been together forever is one thing. To retool on the fly the way this Spurs team did with a team that many didn't even pick to be a playoff teams and with the injuries they had early on? Wow man, its a master piece.

Pop should probably be the front runner for COY right now.

It's also worth mentioning that the turnaround came when he went with the moves that many here were asking for weeks ago, tbh. More Bertans, more White, erasing Cunningham, etc.

r0drig0lac
01-05-2019, 06:02 AM
Pop's the best coach of basketball ever.

"Best" doesn't mean perfect though, and a lot of overreacting "fans" seems to think that's the case.

Brazil
01-05-2019, 08:37 AM
You know what the problem is, Manny? You can’t be the worst doing A and losing and then doing A and winning and be the greatest. Either Pop has been great all this season, the players sucked then and rock now, or Pop still sucks but the players got some solid wins despite of that.

I just want to know which is it, because when we get drubbed in the 1st/2nd round because Patty or Forbes can’t make a shot, or QPon is back on the rotation, I’d like to know who’s to blame, tbh

Except it takes time for a whole new roster to gel.. yes pop has been great all this season with finally a good stretch of wins to validate his work and team efforts to play the brand of Ball pop want them to.. this team can fall apart in the next weeks but so far it’s a good job pop and a big lol at people who questioned pop motivation at the beginning of the season.

then and again he is not perfect but so far there are more goods than bads with the way he is handling the season

Brazil
01-05-2019, 08:38 AM
It's also worth mentioning that the turnaround came when he went with the moves that many here were asking for weeks ago, tbh. More Bertans, more White, erasing Cunningham, etc.

And a lot of people were saying Forbes is a scrub including me.. pop has been stubborn playing him and it seems to pay off.

Brazil
01-05-2019, 08:41 AM
This thread is not about sucking pop dick, just giving him a bit of recognition on a board that most of the time is harsh with him. Like all fan bases are harsh with their coach... not specific to ST.

Crazymaddopeyo
01-05-2019, 10:31 AM

More than that has happened. I don’t remember anyone saying to change their defensive plan or to keep trusting in Forbes.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-05-2019, 11:39 AM
When the Spurs were 11-14 national radio broadcasts on ESPN and NBA radio were talking about the Spurs roster being “terrible” compared to the rest of the league and there’s nothing left to win with in San Antonio. The fact they’re playing great with this “terrible” roster is certainly attributable to Pop’s coaching. If they’d of hit the tank button at 11-14 most folks wouldn’t have been too shocked, but amazingly they’ve started to play well. There’s a long way to go, so I’m hopeful this play can continue for the rest of the season. :tu

The Spurs were 6-8 at one point in ‘99 and finished 37-13 so there’s that.

DAF86
01-05-2019, 11:44 AM
More than that has happened. I don’t remember anyone saying to change their defensive plan or to keep trusting in Forbes.

Many folks were talking about using zone ish schemes, tbh.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Many folks were talking about using zone ish schemes, tbh.

I can say that someone with a heart attack needs a bypass but that doesn't make me a heart surgeon. There are some people who here who know enough basketball to make good observations. But there's a big difference between making a good observation and being an NBA coach. Pop has a way of doing things, but he's changed many times. I was afraid Dante Cunningham was simply going to be Keith Bogans all over again, but Pop learned and made adjustments. Its easy to say play White more, but White looked like dogshit at times this season. He's finally started to figure it out and he's looking damn good, but I'm glad Pop took the approach he didn't and didn't just throw out White for 30 minutes a ame when he was playing like garbage.

I honestly really don't get your point here.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Why don't you watch the season play out and then go from there instead of trying to decide in January who fucked it up.

SpursDynasty85
01-05-2019, 12:12 PM

Coach at his level has to worry about team chemistry and locker room culture. You have veterans that came in, many on slight discounts and after PATFO assuring them it will be fair competition. It is not hard to see that the best guys are eventually playing. I think Cunningham, being such a savvy strong veteran outplayed these guys in the beginning. Pau Gasol obviously outplaying Poeltl int ge beginning too during training camp and making sure the plays are run smoothly. Over time if it's not working and the younger guys are picking things up and winning games then there is no situation of SJax where teammates are jealous of each others playing time and causing more trouble than gelling together and creating a real team.
This has all worked out and you can tell they are having fun and supporting each other now. This is how it was done in the Robinson days. Back then they ended up using the veterans but this time young guys out competed them and now we see the fruits of the process. Just my 2 cents now. I too was clamoring for more White.

I think White benefitted from Pop putting a wall in front of him and making him tear it down before breaking out.

DAF86
01-05-2019, 12:14 PM
I can say that someone with a heart attack needs a bypass but that doesn't make me a heart surgeon. There are some people who here who know enough basketball to make good observations. But there's a big difference between making a good observation and being an NBA coach. Pop has a way of doing things, but he's changed many times. I was afraid Dante Cunningham was simply going to be Keith Bogans all over again, but Pop learned and made adjustments. Its easy to say play White more, but White looked like dogshit at times this season. He's finally started to figure it out and he's looking damn good, but I'm glad Pop took the approach he didn't and didn't just throw out White for 30 minutes a ame when he was playing like garbage.

I honestly really don't get your point here.

Well, on that tone I could say that if White would have started to got minutes last season (as many of us wanted) he would be way ahead of his NBA development right now and he could have helped this season from the get go (or HIS get go, since he was injured to start the season).

Of course being an internet coach is not the same as being a real coach. But sometimes what folks say here have merits and it shouldn't always be discredited just because "Pop knows better". No, sometimes Pop doesn't know better. He is a GOAT but he isn't perfect. He has Made mistakes before and he will continue to make mistakes. Fucking apologists here shouldn't jump at other posters throat at the first sign of criticism, tbh.

MannyIsGod
01-05-2019, 12:21 PM
Well, on that tone I could say that if White would have started to got minutes last season (as many of us wanted) he would be way ahead of his NBA development right now and he could have helped this season from the get go (or HIS get go, since he was injured to start the season).

Of course being an internet coach is not the same as being a real coach. But sometimes what folks say here have merits and it shouldn't always be discredited just because "Pop knows better". No, sometimes Pop doesn't know better. He is a GOAT but he isn't perfect. He has Made mistakes before and he will continue to make mistakes. Fucking apologists here shouldn't jump at other posters throat at the first sign of criticism, tbh.

Your point on White is a big ass assumption. If all it took to develop into a good NBA player was playtime, why do so many franchises fuck it up? The Spurs have the best track record in developing young players. So much so that those players are often times shit when the leave here.

Literally no one is claiming Pop is perfect. JFC, how many times does that need to be said before you stop going to it so defensively. LJ grades Pop in each of the game threads and its not A+ each and every time out, right? So why do you think people don't tell him he's full of shit for that?

Pop is a top 3 all time NBA coach. He should be the current leading candidate for CoTY. Thats the bottom line.

This thread: Pop has done a good job.

DAF: HE'S NOT PERFECT THO STOP SAYING HE'S PERFECT AND STOP BEING MEAN TO ME.

DAF86
01-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Your point on White is a big ass assumption. If all it took to develop into a good NBA player was playtime, why do so many franchises fuck it up? The Spurs have the best track record in developing young players. So much so that those players are often times shit when the leave here.

Since last season it was clear that White was the best guard we had. Yeah, even last season. If you want I can link you to the thread of people saying that. Do you really think that if White would have gotten minutes on the second half of last season he wouldn't have developed?

Same thing with Splitter back in the day. Pop apologists will say: "dude wasn't ready yet. Look how Pop took his time to develop him and know we are seeing the dividents". Pop never loses in your eyes, when in reality if Pop would have started playing Splitter, White and Bertans (this is another guy that should have been seeing more minutes since earlier than he got them) earlier on their careers the Spurs would have benefited from their play a lot more. Right now, for example, we would probably have 4 or 5 more wins. We might even be sitting at the top of the standings, instead of fighting for a playoffs spot.

While not playing Splitter earlier might have cost us a playoffs series or even a championship.

Literally no one is claiming Pop is perfect. JFC, how many times does that need to be said before you stop going to it so defensively. LJ grades Pop in each of the game threads and its not A+ each and every time out, right? So why do you think people don't tell him he's full of shit for that?

Pop is a top 3 all time NBA coach. He should be the current leading candidate for CoTY. Thats the bottom line.

I'm the defensive one? You are the ones that come running out the gates at the slighest of criticism directed at Pop, even if it's totally warranted. :lol

For example, on this thread I said "Pop is a (if not THE) GOAT and that the turnaround this team is having is amazing" and you still found a way to come here and bust my balls for saying something that is completely true, which is that many of the adjustments made were adjustments that many folks here were screaming for for weeks (and that people like you were arguing against, because "Pop knows better") :lol

MannyIsGod
01-05-2019, 12:57 PM
I still found a way to bust your balls? I respond to you and asked you what your point was. YES, you're the defensive one. You're the one talking about people busting your balls and jumping down your throat.

ElNono
01-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Why don't you watch the season play out and then go from there instead of trying to decide in January who fucked it up.

I’m gonna blame Brazil anyways, tbh... :lol

ElNono
01-05-2019, 03:29 PM
I just already know I’m going to hate to see our season going away shooting contested 15ft jumpers, tbh... I just don’t know that’s LMA’s fault or Pop doing Pop things...

Can’t say anything bad about DDR though in his first season. Maybe he’ll show up to bail us out.

jjktkk
01-05-2019, 04:09 PM
For example, on this thread I said "Pop is a (if not THE) GOAT and that the turnaround this team is having is amazing" and you still found a way to come here and bust my balls for saying something that is completely true, which is that many of the adjustments made were adjustments that many folks here were screaming for for weeks (and that people like you were arguing against, because "Pop knows better") :lolHow do you and others know when players are ready to play and contribute? It's one thing to play internet coach and have the opinion that "player A" is ready, but how are you so sure they're ready?

DAF86
01-05-2019, 04:51 PM
How do you and others know when players are ready to play and contribute? It's one thing to play internet coach and have the opinion that "player A" is ready, but how are you so sure they're ready?

It depends on the circumstances. With Splitter and Bertans it came from seeing them on Europe and thinking they could be instant contributors on the NBA, specially when you see that the guys playing over them suck balls.

With Derrick it came from seeing him with the Toros.

Other times is just saying "fuck it. I don't know how good this guy is but giving him a chance is better than keep seeing the fucking scrub that is getting playing time over him" (for example, let's try that Ben Moore dude over that no future having Pondexter).

SpursDynasty85
01-05-2019, 04:56 PM
It depends on the circumstances. With Splitter and Bertans it came from seeing them on Europe and thinking they could be instant contributors on the NBA, specially when you see that the guys playing over them suck balls.

With Derrick it came from seeing him with the Toros.

Other times is just saying "fuck it. I don't know how good this guy is but giving him a chance is better than keep seeing the fucking scrub that is getting playing time over him".

From what I've seen, unless you are LMA or DeRozan, it is up to you to get the system down and contribute. If you expect the Spurs to integrate the system around role players, I guess you will always hate Pops style. Also, because of how competitive the season has become Pop tries not to use the regular season to develop young players, that's what the G league is for. Derrick White was still learning the playbook and got to build his confidence in the G League.

DAF86
01-05-2019, 05:02 PM
From what I've seen, unless you are LMA or DeRozan, it is up to you to get the system down and contribute. If you expect the Spurs to integrate the system around role players, I guess you will always hate Pops style. Also, because of how competitive the season has become Pop tries not to use the regular season to develop young players, that's what the G league is for. Derrick White was still learning the playbook and got to build his confidence in the G League.

I'm not saying the Spurs should change their system to accomodate role players. I just said that Pop should have played some role players over others when it was obvious that those some role players were significantly better than those others.

J_Paco
01-05-2019, 05:05 PM

To the GOAT coach

Man, like I've said before he and R.C. have more basketball knowledge in their pinky than nearly anyone and everyone on this board. It isn't just luck - like one of the hating ass clowns on here tried to claim a month or two ago - that they've shaped, reshaped and reshaped this roster so many times, found diamonds in the rough (Forbes, Green, Neal, etc.) and built the best "culture" in sports.

Look how he refused to trash Leonard, took the high road throughout the ordeal and still has this mismatched roster competing for a playoff spot.

Most teams would have folded after those three straight 30+ humiliating losses, but Pop kept "pounding the rock" and the team is competing at a high level.

Would I prefer a lottery pick (SF) to go with our young core, dropping deadweight like Pondexter/Cunningham and moving on from Patty/Pau? Sure, but I realized that Pop has too much pride, respect for his best players (DeRozan, Aldridge & Gay) and is too good of a damn coach to just "give up" on a season.

It would piss me off when he'd "wave the white flag" a few years ago to preserve Duncan, Ginobili and Parker. I'm happy he is too strong willed to concede and throw away a season.

Now, he just needs to find minutes and a role for Walker......

offset formation
01-05-2019, 05:16 PM

Tbh.

J_Paco
01-05-2019, 05:42 PM
I just already know I’m going to hate to see our season going away shooting contested 15ft jumpers, tbh... I just don’t know that’s LMA’s fault or Pop doing Pop things...

Can’t say anything bad about DDR though in his first season. Maybe he’ll show up to bail us out.

So, you would rather play away from the strength of DeMar, Rudy, and LaMarcus? It is the "lowest percentage/efficiency" shot in basketball, but it is the strongest aspect of all three players' game.

Having more volume three-point shooters would be nice, but you gotta work with what you have not what you want....

The team could go out in the 1st or 2nd round, yet that was the most optimistic outcome once Leonard walked out the door.

Also, the team has some solid young pieces, 2 possible 1st round picks and a high quality (by Euroleague standards) center to continue to improve....

I get that it's easier to bitch, whine and complain about what the team doesn't have or do well, though. Kind of reminds me of the the fanbase's mindset from the Robinson era, '00 - 02 or '08 - '11....

01-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Giving ST credit for saying White should get more minutes should be taken with a grain of salt seeing as this is the same forum that thinks LWIV should start today :lol

ElNono
01-05-2019, 06:40 PM
So, you would rather play away from the strength of DeMar, Rudy, and LaMarcus? It is the "lowest percentage/efficiency" shot in basketball, but it is the strongest aspect of all three players' game.

Having more volume three-point shooters would be nice, but you gotta work with what you have not what you want....

The team could go out in the 1st or 2nd round, yet that was the most optimistic outcome once Leonard walked out the door.

Also, the team has some solid young pieces, 2 possible 1st round picks and a high quality (by Euroleague standards) center to continue to improve....

I get that it's easier to bitch, whine and complain about what the team doesn't have or do well, though. Kind of reminds me of the the fanbase's mindset from the Robinson era, '00 - 02 or '08 - '11....

DDR can get to the basket and can create for others, the question is really what happens when that inevitably gums up in the playoffs, tbh...

It’s not bitching or whining to discuss the realistic ceilings for this team. We’re not the Titanic when we lose or Worldbeaters when we win.

Canyonero
01-05-2019, 06:42 PM
26 wins away from becoming the winningest coach in NBA history :wow

J_Paco
01-05-2019, 07:15 PM
26 wins away from becoming the winningest coach in NBA history :wow

He's 126 wins away, so two or three seasons away. I doubt he cares, TBH, and would be more than content behind (one of) his mentor(s) Don Nelson.

Brazil
01-05-2019, 09:39 PM
I’m gonna blame Brazil (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14466) anyways, tbh... :lol

:lol

Canyonero
01-06-2019, 08:08 AM
He's 126 wins away, so two or three seasons away. I doubt he cares, TBH, and would be more than content behind (one of) his mentor(s) Don Nelson.

I meant regular season + playoffs fwiw

Old School 44
01-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Congrats to Pop and the Spurs. With all the new faces and the injuries to start the season, Pop's done a tremendous job. Let's see how many "the Spurs just won't go away" articles come out in the coming weeks. I know we still have a long way to go, but it's amazing the consistency of this organization. While others drop from the standings, miss the playoffs and rebuild, the Spurs keep going and rebuild on the fly. Sure we won't compete/win a title every year, but it sure beats the hell out watching a Dallas, Memphis or Phoenix rebuild.

JPB
01-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Made a thread about a week ago to praise Pop and say he still had it and tricks in his bag... hijacked by some weirdo biringing Pop's wife and who wouldn't let it go... Closed after one page...

Didn't want to make another one so happy OP took the torch cos Pop is a just heads and shoulders above competition... More than the Xs and Os, it's the psychological part and how he gets everyone involved...

Look LMA... From asking for a trade to his best season and after a shaky start this year, he seems fueled....

DDR, from depression to happy and motivated. I juts read a quote where he says it's easy when you play with a great group of guys and everyone is ready to learn...

Same with Forbes and white... He put these guys in the best psychological dispositions...

Staffs have one million assistants for every freaking detail nowadays so it's really about leadership and accountability...

J_Paco
01-06-2019, 11:12 AM
I meant regular season + playoffs fwiw

Well, the all - time record doesn't account for playoff victories. Those are two separate lists with Phil Jackson (229) and Pat Riley (171) above him in the playoff category....

ceperez
01-06-2019, 12:32 PM
To be honest, nobody expected the Spurs play this well consider the talent that they've got.

John B
01-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Spurs in top 4 seeds, he makes COY. Clippers are faltering. Nuggets coach could also be up there and also Spurs product Coach Bud. Raps had 60 W before Kiwi so I don’t know.

TimmyBuckets
01-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Spurs in top 4 seeds, he makes COY. Clippers are faltering. Nuggets coach could also be up there and also Spurs product Coach Bud. Raps had 60 W before Kiwi so I don’t know.

Doubt he gets COY even if Spurs are top 3 even though he should if that happens. They usually try to give it to coaches who haven't won. I think Nuggets, Raptors, Bucks will be the front runners.

John B
01-06-2019, 12:48 PM
:lol how just a few weeks ago ST calling for rebuild and Pops has lost it, senile and outdated who cannot compete in today’s basketball. Even the lost to Nuggets, worst coach ever. Now everybody’s back in the bandwagon :lol.

John B
01-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Doubt he gets COY even if Spurs are top 3 even though he should if that happens. They usually try to give it to coaches who haven't won. I think Nuggets, Raptors, Bucks will be the front runners.
Raps route is easier without LeBron and adding a top 3 player. I don’t know if Nurse deserves it. Coach Bud is maximizing the Greek Freak and Bucks potential like Kerr when he took over Dubs, and Malone making Nuggets overachievers. It’s still a long season.

bklynspursfan
01-07-2019, 08:53 PM

picnroll
01-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Pop tied Sloan for wins tonight. :bobo

John B
01-07-2019, 10:09 PM
2 seasons to go to get that all-time. I guess that's when he retires. It'll be a sad day tbh

look_at_g_shred
01-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Props to pop on a good coaching performance tonight. I was afraid when LA got his 4th foul that surely he would’ve put pau in but no he subbed in Bertāns instead! During this run he’s been playing the guys that contribute and I love it!!

ElNono
01-14-2019, 10:54 PM
Whose fault is this shit show now? :lol

Outcoached by his former video coordinator, crowbarring Pau into the rotation, still playing QPon and all that trash... smh

DAF86
01-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Shitty roster construction coming to bite us in the ass after just a couple of injuries.

DAF86
01-14-2019, 11:10 PM
Oh, and Pop needs to stop playing DeRozan so many goddamn minutes. DeRozan isn't all that good to feel like you need to play him 40 minutes a night to be competitive.

At least on nights where he isn't playing well, just sit his ass down some more.

Mugen
01-14-2019, 11:17 PM

Outcoached by his former video coordinator, crowbarring Pau into the rotation, still playing QPon and all that trash... smh

:lol

JeffDuncan
01-14-2019, 11:27 PM
The crap Pop pulled tonight would get him fired by any self-respecting organization.

timtonymanu
01-14-2019, 11:27 PM
:lol Pop apologists

mkurts
01-15-2019, 04:30 AM
Expected freebie loss today, Borrego is one of Pop’s close confidants ...

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2019, 07:09 AM

it's the players fault. Didn't you listen to Pop's postgame interview?:downspin:

DAF86
01-29-2019, 11:01 PM
Can somebody kindly explain to Pop that when he puts a player on the backcourt but the ball gets inbounded into the frontcourt you will easily get doubled and playing 4 on 5 because the guy on the backcourt can't receive a pass? Will be much appreciated, thank you.

timtonymanu
02-24-2019, 09:12 PM
I'll appreciate him a lot more if he finally retires.

Duncan2177
02-24-2019, 09:18 PM

sasaint
02-24-2019, 09:38 PM

The way Pop has operated, he must be planning on hanging around for another 4-5 seasons. If everything goes perfectly, all his personnel moves will be about ready to payoff about then.

TheGreatYacht
02-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Lol who would've thought the guy was a fraud the whole time.... Oh wait

TD 21
02-24-2019, 09:55 PM
:lmao At not playing White. Common sense says this should have been treated as a virtual must win. At the Nets, on the 2nd night of a back to back, was always going to be difficult. Instead of trying to secure 1 win, there's now a good chance they come away with 0.

He had to know no opponent is a virtual gimme for this team on the road and that they love to embarrass themselves. I knew this was too tempting for them.

Hoops Czar
02-24-2019, 10:04 PM
Depression is a mental illness. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

timtonymanu
02-24-2019, 10:19 PM
He needs to retire and go into politics. He doesn't give a shit about basketball anymore obviously and doesn't want to accept the NBA for what it is now so he rather run his mouth about politics.

dbestpro
02-24-2019, 10:56 PM
Pop needs to call it a day. He only is tarnishing his legacy at this point. His ego kept him going, but all is being proven is he truly was a coat tail coach all along.

Brazil
03-13-2019, 11:42 AM
:lol Pop haters

6W in a row
#6 in the west

still a solid shot at making the POs

not so bad for a finished coach who does not give a shit anymore

FkLA
03-13-2019, 11:46 AM

6W in a row
#6 in the west

Never doubt the great Gregg Charles Popovich.

Brazil
03-13-2019, 11:59 AM

Never doubt the great Gregg Charles Popovich.

hope he runs for president tbh

bklynspursfan
03-13-2019, 12:11 PM
He needs to retire and go into politics. He doesn't give a shit about basketball anymore obviously and doesn't want to accept the NBA for what it is now so he rather run his mouth about politics.

Pop needs to call it a day. He only is tarnishing his legacy at this point. His ego kept him going, but all is being proven is he truly was a coat tail coach all along.

:corn:

bklynspursfan
03-13-2019, 12:12 PM

6W in a row
#6 in the west

ZeusWillJudge
03-13-2019, 12:35 PM

hope he runs for president tbh

LOL. So does Trump. If there's anything worse than a conniving carnival barker, it's a pontificating prick.

DAF86
03-13-2019, 12:39 PM

6W in a row
#6 in the west

Meh, horrible offseason job, good in-season job to make up for the horrible roster moves. Overall a pretty meh season, leaning to the side of bad, imho.

Still the GOAT though.

Brazil
03-13-2019, 04:13 PM
Meh, horrible offseason job, good in-season job to make up for the horrible roster moves. Overall a pretty meh season, leaning to the side of bad, imho.

Still the GOAT though.

Considering all the factors and the context, it is not a bad season if we make the POs... the silver lining is that we have a damn good bb player with White tbh

ZeusWillJudge
03-13-2019, 05:26 PM
Considering all the factors and the context, it is not a bad season if we make the POs... the silver lining is that we have a damn good bb player with White tbh

And Pau is gone.

Hoops Czar
03-13-2019, 09:21 PM
And Pau is gone.
But he's still being paid. Well done Pop or should I say well done Pau!

Making the playoffs is exactly what you'd expect from a mediocre team. The concern is what has he left Becky in the wake of his retirement?

timtonymanu
03-14-2019, 01:11 AM
Yeah props to Derrick White for saving Pop and this shitshow season. :tu

Dre_7
03-14-2019, 01:26 PM
FUCK THE HATERS. Bow down to the GOAT coach

Brazil
03-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Yeah props to Derrick White for saving Pop and this shitshow season. :tu

yeah props to Pop and FO for drafting him, coaching him and giving a chance to him..

smh

ZeusWillJudge
03-14-2019, 01:51 PM
But he's still being paid. Well done Pop or should I say well done Pau!

Making the playoffs is exactly what you'd expect from a mediocre team. The concern is what has he left Becky in the wake of his retirement?

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

GAustex
03-14-2019, 05:13 PM
I just threw up in my mouth a little.
If Becky gets the gig it’s political
There a many and many out there more qualified
But they ain’t Becky

SASdynasty!
03-15-2019, 08:58 AM
One practice half-season (still did better than Bob Hill)
22 playoffs in a row (all-time record)
5 championships
.684 regular season
.604 playoffs
1235 wins (3rd all time...most with one team)
167 playoff wins (3rd all time...4 away from passing Pat Riley)

wildbill2u
03-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Some posters said we had to concentrate on Pop's job as coach in specific situations or games. I disagree. You have to look at this team with the roster at the start of the season, injuries to two good prospects and a few important rotation players, the Kwahi letdown, integration of some new players, etc. etc. Most of us still don't think the team is in a place where we can really compete for a championship, and some wanted us to tank. But look where we are now.

It's said that a great sculptor once said that his method was to see the finished object in the block of rock and then chip away all the extraneous bits In a way, Pop has been doing this all season, chipping away at the extraneous bits with the purpose of bringing the best possible team out of the dreck. It's even possible that this team may make the playoffs after winding up with a team that can even beat the best in the East on occasion. Show me another coach who could have dealt with all the problems of an unsettled, undermanned, and under-skilled roster at the beginning of the season and still has managed to put a decent and entertaining team on the floor. I can't think of a coach who has come close to the work of Pop this season in 43 years of being a Spurs fan. And no other coach in the NBA since the Fifties come to mind either.

I think we are in a good place with the on the fly remake of the team. Even with major injuries to Murray & Walker and some down time from Gay and White, it is now possible to see the eventual shape of the finished vision of the team coming into focus. White now owns the PG starting job. Murray and Walker will have to fight it out for the SG spot with DDR. Good luck with that guys. Maybe one of the loser could wind up playing a small SF spot if they want to crack the starting lineup of Poertl, LMA, DDR, Gay and White. Look at how far we have come this year.

Anyone who thinks the FO and Pop aren't on the top of their game with managing the roster and drafting unknowns who have been overlooked by other teams is crazy. And if Pop's coaching decisions in specific games or situations are questioned by TV coaches, chalk it up to an occasional slip of the chisel on that unformed piece of rock.

wildbill2u
03-15-2019, 12:18 PM
In the past Pop and the FO have rewarded some of the best players on the Austin team by bringing them in for 10 days so they can show what they have learned in Austin and their personal skills. Not to mention they can someday tell their grandchildren they once played for the mighty Spurs of the NBA.

This is going to be a close race down to the wire for a playoff berth and a seed in the playoffs. I wonder if they will continue this nice tradition if some of the Austin club deserve a little boost for their hard work.

Brazil
03-19-2019, 10:41 AM
:lol pop haters

spursistan
03-26-2019, 09:56 PM
Doc Rivers with gimpy Danilo Gallinari and bunch of Clippers spare parts is going to end up with better record than us and you have Pop fluffers talking up his coaching job this year as if it was a big achievement :lol..

ElNono
03-27-2019, 08:38 AM
:lol Pop fluffers