PDA

View Full Version : A small forward away from chipping?

JuegaBonito
01-04-2019, 11:09 AM
Would you consider the spurs an all star level SF 10-20 player away from chipping this year?

Chinook
01-04-2019, 11:16 AM
I mean, the All-Star SFs are all superstars, so yes. As far as just a pretty good SF, I don't know. Covington would really shore up the SL, but then you have to send one of Forbes, Gay or White to the bench. Losing any of them from the first unit would have problems, and I don't know how much better the bench would be after the swap. Forbes/Mills/Beli seems like an awful defensive perimeter. Gay might mess up the offensive flow, and White honestly is such a huge benefit next to DeRozan while not having as much of a place on the bench. I could see it working out depending on what got sent out, but it's not like just adding more talent without any risk. Then when you start getting to guys like Porter or Harris, you get into even deeper problems. Guys like Johnson just won't cut it and don't fit this thread.

Of course, there's a good chance some guys fall off. Like White could regress to the point where it seems silly to worry about him having a spot. But any chance at a title requires those guys to be playing well, so those more-likely scenarios get swept under the rug.

Timnobili
01-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Honestly if Forbes and White keep maturing and the team keeps gaining chemistry we can win it all right now. Not because we are so good but more because the NBA is wide open this year and we have a few players with a lot to prove.

JuegaBonito
01-04-2019, 11:18 AM
I mean, the All-Star SFs are all superstars, so yes. As far as just a pretty good SF, I don't know. Covington would really shore up the SL, but then you have to send one of Forbes, Gay or White to the bench. Losing any of them from the first unit would have problems, and I don't know how much better the bench would be after the swap. Forbes/Mills/Beli seems like an awful defensive perimeter. Gay might mess up the offensive flow, and White honestly is such a huge benefit next to DeRozan while not having as much of a place on the bench. I could see it working out depending on what got sent out, but it's not like just adding more talent without any risk. Then when you start getting to guys like Porter or Harris, you get into even deeper problems. Guys like Johnson just won't cut it and don't fit this thread.

Of course, there's a good chance some guys fall off. Like White could regress to the point where it seems silly to worry about him having a spot. But any chance at a title requires those guys to be playing well, so those more-likely scenarios get swept under the rug.

So would you consider this year as a player development, chemistry development year and just think of next year as making a run? If the spurs stand pat then they are currently not constructed to ring.

TimmyBuckets
01-04-2019, 11:26 AM
This team can win a chip this year if GSW is not 100%. Spurs have a good shot against any other team. I think that's obvious.

cd98
01-04-2019, 11:27 AM
I think a small forward would be helpful if he was a 3/D guy. But that said, I don't see it as the priority it used to be. Most superstar threes are really playing 4s now and so you could get away with a shooting guard playing the three. Heck, we just got away with a PG guarding a 3/4. That said, White can play a 2/3, he's not just a PG.

People were too quick to judge this roster the first month of the season and too quick to judge Pop. He has to figure out what combinations work. We also need to give the players time to gel. The Spurs have been playing great basketball the last few weeks. It's been aesthetically pleasing and not just shoot a million threes. It's been good team work and team play. I don't know that they have the firepower or the defense to beat the best of the best, but more and more I see they are a playoff team and no doubt they may be good enough to land a top 4 seed in the west. I don't see them beating 2-3 teams in the West, but they could top out at a second round exit, which would be a successful season in my book.

SpursforSix
01-04-2019, 11:29 AM
Would you consider the spurs an all star level SF 10-20 player away from chipping this year?

I don't know about just a SF. But you're probably not off base in that they only need a player or two. If they had maybe a Davis and Leonard, I think they're definitely in the conversation.

Chinook
01-04-2019, 11:33 AM
So would you consider this year as a player development, chemistry development year and just think of next year as making a run? If the spurs stand pat then they are currently not constructed to ring.

I'm not sure they can get much better without a real superstar. They can get more consistent, but their current level of play is hard to match. Every trade would come with risks, even an almost-ideal one like Cov for Beli, Pon and picks. Right now, the SL works because Forbes is shooting lights out, White is a legit defensive hound dog, and the DeRozan/Gay/Aldridge trio is extremely difficult to cover at once. Then you have their bench, who's tearing it up with great chemistry and confidence. Anything you do that risks disrupting those units has a chance to backfire. That includes bringing back Murray and drafting a rotation-caliber forward.

My point wasn't that there's no reason to trade at all. It was that you have to be careful. The team could get more talented while not ending up playing better. Covington is almost certainly worth it. Porter might be worth it. Any lessor talent probably isn't unless it's a really cheap scenario or depth addition, and those aren't likely to move the needle anyway. Also, there isn't an All-Star SF for sale, so there's no reason to consider that possibility.

DesignatedT
01-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Spurs are finally building chemistry and a trade for a high caliber SF will ultimately derail that progress but it is still probably necessary if the Spurs want to make a legit run at a title. They need more size/length and another good defender at the 3/4 position.

What's the deal with Kris Middleton? Hardly a great defender but has great size, can shoot/score, and I feel would fit in nicely in the offense. Thought he might be on the block this year.

Chinook
01-04-2019, 11:39 AM
I think a small forward would be helpful if he was a 3/D guy. But that said, I don't see it as the priority it used to be. Most superstar threes are really playing 4s now and so you could get away with a shooting guard playing the three. Heck, we just got away with a PG guarding a 3/4. That said, White can play a 2/3, he's not just a PG.

People were too quick to judge this roster the first month of the season and too quick to judge Pop. He has to figure out what combinations work. We also need to give the players time to gel. The Spurs have been playing great basketball the last few weeks. It's been aesthetically pleasing and not just shoot a million threes. It's been good team work and team play. I don't know that they have the firepower or the defense to beat the best of the best, but more and more I see they are a playoff team and no doubt they may be good enough to land a top 4 seed in the west. I don't see them beating 2-3 teams in the West, but they could top out at a second round exit, which would be a successful season in my book.

I wouldn't go as far as to think the lack of a defensive forward isn't an issue. White is punching way above his weight right now, and we can't reasonably expect this to last. I think the team could make the conference finals with the right bracket as is, but you'd arguably want to swap White out for someone with forward size who can shoot way better than Cun. Not many of those in the league. But then, you'd also want to swipe out Forbes for a White who can shoot well enough to replace Bryn's shooting. Then you'd want to get away with a Forbes/Mills pairing or somehow make a Forbes/Beli back court work. It's just a head-scratcher. I think the Spurs will be a trendy buy-out destination, but I can't think of anyone who'd get bought out and come into SA and be a starter or even sixth man at this point.

SpursDynasty85
01-04-2019, 11:41 AM
It's tough to say. Our biggest needs are wing defense and rebounding.

Fusternino
01-04-2019, 11:42 AM
Probably a trash idea: Gasol and Q-Pon for Crabbe, Hollis-Jefferson and a 2nd round pick.

Chinook
01-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Spurs are finally building chemistry and a trade for a high caliber SF will ultimately derail that progress but it is still probably necessary if the Spurs want to make a legit run at a title. They need more size/length and another good defender at the 3/4 position.

What's the deal with Kris Middleton? Hardly a great defender but has great size, can shoot/score, and I feel would fit in nicely in the offense. Thought he might be on the block this year.

At his best, I'd say he's a bigger White. Dude hasn't been having a great year and is a free agent to be. In a normal year, I'd say he's gettable, because he could definitely solicit max offers this summer while not being worth than the Bucks. But I assume they're going for it this year and are willing to take the risk.

timvp
01-04-2019, 11:47 AM
There's not a realistic move the Spurs can make that leapfrogs them over the Warriors as championship favorites. Right now, the goal would be to try to become a legit contender heading into the playoffs. Even that is difficult to imagine but it's not the impossibility it appeared to be about a month ago.

John B
01-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Agree the West is anyone’s grab and Spurs can win it all, IF Dubs continue to falter, we continue to be healthy, develop especially Walker, Poeltl even Huestis and Moore. Anything can happen. The FO has a big decision to make if going to stay put with the current roster, package Pau plus 1st round pick or wait for a player to be waived. Should the Spurs be aggressive? I really like to see what Huestis can bring at the 3 and D. When is he due back??

Duncan87
01-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Huestis hasn’t even played for Austin Spurs yet don’t see any possibility to suit up for Spurs

r0drig0lac
01-04-2019, 11:54 AM

he's second best player in the best team of the east, no chance

Chinook
01-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Probably a trash idea: Gasol and Q-Pon for Crabbe, Hollis-Jefferson and a 2nd round pick.

I wouldn't. I like RHJ well enough, I guess. But the Spurs have no use for Crabbe, now or in the future.

Something like Gasol, Pon and the Toronto pick for MKG and Kaminsky might work better. Spurs get center depth with option value in addition to a plus defensive forward. Hornets get a pick and save a bit of money for their rebuild. Maybe they'd want a bit more, and I wouldn't be against giving them Milutinov or a second. Or they might want to send out Hernangomez. That's fine, though I'm not giving up anything more than a second in that case. Regardless, I think the way this deal is structured works better for the team than one with Crabbe.

marinoman
01-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Pau and his expiring contract need to be moved, I hope he’s not just bought out. I do think we need a playmaking defensive wing coming off the bench l. DeMar is logging lots of minutes and especially when he’s on the bench someone needs to set others up

DesignatedT
01-04-2019, 12:01 PM
Hope Pop gives Walker a chance during the second half of the year. Spurs could really use his playmaking ability/athleticism coming off the bench.

DesignatedT
01-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Yeah, that's true. Honestly didn't realize Milwaukee was doing so good this year. Still don't see them paying Middleton all that money this summer so figured they would try to move him this year.

emanueldavidginobili
01-04-2019, 12:12 PM
The Warriors are bored right now, Klay Thompson won’t shoot this bad for the rest of the season. Green might possibly actually suck forreal now but I’m sure he will get it together. Also I don’t think Cousins coming back will ruin the team. He’s light years better than Looney on one leg. Barring any injuries the Warriors will win it all again.

This years more of a developmental year anyways, and next year too with DJ coming back from injury and Lonnie coming up. I could see them doing some damage though next year but not legit contenders. So far Bryn, Davis, Derrick and Jakob have been progressing really well so far. I think the year after next they have the potential to be legit contenders. A full year of DJ coming back from injury and hopefully Walker staying healthy and getting better. Along with a couple roster tweaks and getting that SF whoever it might be. I honestly don’t see them moving Pau, I think he will play out his contract unless he gets upset with his role and approaches Pop about it.

JuegaBonito
01-04-2019, 12:14 PM
haha what if Kiwi signed back with us, that would be 99% improbable but we would chip next year.

objective
01-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Any 2-way player with SF size makes the Spurs better. Porter might not be a great defender, but he's not a minus.

Gasol is dead money the way things are going, and Mills isn't crunch time finisher in the playoffs at his size with his defense.

Turning either one or both into a player who could be a part of a crunch time lineup can only make them better. Not good enough to be favorites this year, but more of a puncher's chance.

Pau's partial guarantee next year and the multiple draft picks this year might give a better opportunity to get that player this year in season.

It would be an aggressive and risky move to load up for next season with the expectation that Murray is ready to go. Maybe too aggressive.

Fusternino
01-04-2019, 12:20 PM
If Pau is really gone then, we will need to bring over Milutinov in a win-now scenario rather than drafting a big. Does his buy-out count against the cap?

Duncan87
01-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Was Pau a healthy scratch last night?or was he feeling pain saw him stretching ankle last night anyone?

Chinook
01-04-2019, 01:07 PM
If Pau is really gone then, we will need to bring over Milutinov in a win-now scenario rather than drafting a big. Does his buy-out count against the cap?

Whose buyout? Any money paid to Gasol counts. For Nikola, there's a set amount an NBA team can pay for buyouts each year. Don't remember what it is this year, but it's probably just under $1 Million. Anything beyond that has to come from the player's pocket. The Spurs could help with that by structuring whatever contract to have a signing bonus, which the player could redirect to the buyout club. I think the max for the bonus is 20 percent of the first-year salary, so there's a cap on how much a team could help under any circumstance. I think Nik's deal has buyouts for the that less-than-$1-Million max each year, so the bonus dance shouldn't be an issue. The biggest issue is that the two sides may not be able to agree to a contract at all.

Chinook
01-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Whose buyout? Any money paid to Gasol counts. For Nikola, there's a set amount an NBA team can pay for buyouts each year. Don't remember what it is this year, but it's probably just under $1 Million. Anything beyond that has to come from the player's pocket. The Spurs could help with that by structuring whatever contract to have a signing bonus, which the player could redirect to the buyout club. I think the max for the bonus is 20 percent of the first-year salary, so there's a cap on how much a team could help under any circumstance. I think Nik's deal has buyouts for the that less-than-$1-Million max each year, so the bonus dance shouldn't be an issue. The biggest issue is that the two sides may not be able to agree to a contract at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure Milutinov is locked into his contract for the rest of the season regardless. There was some July 12 deadline for his buyout. I guess that could be renegotiated if need be. The Spurs should be able to sign Milutinov mid-season, because they were over the cap to start this past summer. But it's also possible that he wouldn't take the rookie-scale offer, and the team can't offer more. Plus the scale offer might prorate.

That's just a mess I don't want to look into.

Fusternino
01-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Nikola is signed with his European team through 2019-2020. I was thinking a buyout summer 2019.

More to the point even though I hear he's the best center in Europe I don't know much about him. His counting stats are a bit low but that's in a much smaller amount of playing time. Rebounding looks really good although he can't shoot at all. Can he switch on defense?

offset formation
01-04-2019, 01:16 PM

I'm old enough to remember being laughed at for suggesting we move Kawhi to Milwaukee for a few players. Was told they are no good. Lol.

Either way, as always PATFO did right by the Spurs with what we did get. GSG.

Pavlov
01-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Uh, the Spurs' small forward got a triple double last night against the Raptors.

I guess another All-Star would help, sure....

Mugen
01-04-2019, 01:23 PM
If they do manage to get a 3/D forward, then the SL change should be Gay moving to the bench. He plays a lot with the 2nd unit already so it's an easier transition.

Moving Pau and a 1st or some 2nds for literally any combo forward that can defend a wing in this league makes this team significantly better tbh.

szkorhetz
01-04-2019, 03:11 PM
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252124/Hornets-Desperate-to-Move-Nic-Batum-Will-Include-Frank-Kaminsky-In-Trade
Batum+KAM+Monk/Lamb/Parker for Gasol+Mills?

Chinook
01-04-2019, 03:19 PM
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252124/Hornets-Desperate-to-Move-Nic-Batum-Will-Include-Frank-Kaminsky-In-Trade
Batum+KAM+Monk/Lamb/Parker for Gasol+Mills?

There isn't any possible deal where Batum comes back to SA that isn't awful for the Spurs. Worst contract in the NBA. Yes, worse than Wall's.

Play Boban
01-04-2019, 03:21 PM

We already have one. His name is Demar. We have a second named Davis, too.

Play Boban
01-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Uh, the Spurs' small forward got a triple double last night against the Raptors.

I guess another All-Star would help, sure....

Truth nuke.

marinoman
01-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Would hawks be willing to trade prince. Some people here target for a trade as a 3-D great size and athleticism but he’s still young and was the 12 pick 4 years ago. I don’t think late firsts and or role players interest them

slick'81
01-04-2019, 03:47 PM
So now gasol cant even get on the floor? Spurs need to move on from pau

Chinook
01-04-2019, 03:51 PM
So now gasol cant even get on the floor? Spurs need to move on from pau

Best scenario is that they trade him for an impact player to give themselves an outside shot at a title. Second best would be that Pau gets so fed up that he's willing to forego all of his 2019-2020 guarantee to be released immediately. Not having to worry about getting that salary off the books just opens up so many more options for them in the summer.

duncan2k5
01-04-2019, 04:02 PM
lets make it past the first round before we talk about a championship...besides i dont think there is any team with LMA that can win a ring...i honestly think the warriors as constructed can sign LMA and they wont win a ring...that guy's attitude when he isnt the focal point will bring down the team, not to mention he will disappear in the playoffs...i honestly think trading LMA for literally anyone would make us better and more consistent...our inconsistency as a team comes from him...my focus is winning a ring...we will not do so if we keep riding the LMA train

SAGirl
01-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Pau and his expiring contract need to be moved, I hope he’s not just bought out. I do think we need a playmaking defensive wing coming off the bench l. DeMar is logging lots of minutes and especially when he’s on the bench someone needs to set others up
I hope that too. Part of my grief with that deal was opportunity costs in the past. If not extended his deal would have been over already right? (I no longer remember it's been so long) and not to revive the issue, bc I am really happy with the team right now... but it would be such a waste to not get somone in exchange, specially when the team only has some exceptions to get better in the summer IIRC... I am not cap/FO expert by any means but I hate the waste of 16 millions going unplayed and unused in any kind of trade. I'd hate it even more if they just stretched him and waived him in the summer bc that would still mean a couple million plus in the books for a couple more years a (or 3? I don't know). It makes a difference sometimes in signing someone you want. It's just such a horrible deal if he doesn't play. He was already overpaid, right now it's absurd.

slick'81
01-04-2019, 04:27 PM
lets make it past the first round before we talk about a championship...besides i dont think there is any team with LMA that can win a ring...i honestly think the warriors as constructed can sign LMA and they wont win a ring...that guy's attitude when he isnt the focal point will bring down the team, not to mention he will disappear in the playoffs...i honestly think trading LMA for literally anyone would make us better and more consistent...our inconsistency as a team comes from him...my focus is winning a ring...we will not do so if we keep riding the LMA train

man what did the spurs do to your bitch ass

NASpurs
01-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Best scenario is that they trade him for an impact player to give themselves an outside shot at a title. Second best would be that Pau gets so fed up that he's willing to forego all of his 2019-2020 guarantee to be released immediately. Not having to worry about getting that salary off the books just opens up so many more options for them in the summer.

I feel like the Spurs aren’t trading Pau unless he asks for a trade... so the third option could be a combination of the two scenarios: he gets fed up due to a bruised ego and asks to be traded.

Come on Pau :hungry:

8FOR!3
01-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Some somewhat cheaper 3&D options that come to mind are Damyeon Dotson and Juancho Hernangomez (it's gotta be Hernandez-Gomez right?)

duncan2k5
01-04-2019, 04:42 PM

trade my favorite player after after pressuring him to play through an injury to send manu out in glory...give LMA a four year extension without him proving himself AFTER he demanded a trade in a year where we had the second best record in the league and were destroying the wariors while LMA choked...i REALLY dont like the fact that we are being so complacent with a team that CLEARLY wont win with LMA on the team

RC_Drunkford
01-04-2019, 04:45 PM
I'd take Batum if Charlotte attaches a pick. This is another route I think the Spurs can go down. Take on a bad contract for the next 2 years for Gasol with a pick coming back. We don't have cap room anyway

Chinook
01-04-2019, 04:47 PM
I'd take Batum if Charlotte attaches a pick. This is another route I think the Spurs can go down. Take on a bad contract for the next 2 years for Gasol with a pick coming back. We don't have cap room anyway

Batum is at $77M/3. You're talking about paying $55 Million for a pick here.

Ibleedslvrnblk
01-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Celtics are winning it all this year. Not GSW, not the Raps, no one else...

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2019, 04:49 PM
MKG is the exact player the Spurs need. He would take Gay's spot in the starting lineup thus giving our bench a ball handler for once. He's what Pop thought Cunningham was in the first 25 games of the season. Plus he has a great contract with a team option for next year.

The Hornets have a ton of wings and Cody Zeller is starting for them, Gasol would improve their C position on both ends.

spurraider21
01-04-2019, 04:51 PM
derozan has been playing SF for quite some time now... White has been starting alongside Forbes since December 9

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Batum has the worst contract in the league and is the worst starting SF to make it even worse. Hornets fans can't stand him. I've seen plenty of their games and they're aren't wrong to hate him. He doesn't even try out there knowing the bag is secured.

James Borrego is a horrible coach. Batum would've been benched a long time ago under the other 29 teams. I mean, the guy has put Tony Parker in the doghouse after scoring 19 in the 4th quarter last week :lol

Chinook
01-04-2019, 04:59 PM
if the contract so bad and his production as bottom out for Mike in Chor, then there is a slim possibility that at some point in the future they just spread that 50 million over 10 years. let the guy go. Who would want him? He had all that potential when he was in Portland and it just didn't pan out for the dude. Real plus minus below Micheal Kid Gilcrest his own teammate at this point.

Does all that point to this being "the guy"

Hornets can only stretch Batum out to five more years (not counting this one) at this point. That's still more than $10 Million a year for a guy on different club.

Dude isn't a completely horrible player. He was just paid as a franchise player when he was a mediocre role-player with an impressive frame and on-paper skill-set.

RC_Drunkford
01-04-2019, 05:52 PM
Batum is at $77M/3. You're talking about paying $55 Million for a pick here.

yeah but could be a lottery pick and Batum fits our need of a 3-and-D wing. Even if they waive Gasol, Spurs won't have cap space to sign anybody if they resign Gay. So I'd rather do that than stand pat

spurraider21
01-04-2019, 06:02 PM
yeah but could be a lottery pick and Batum fits our need of a 3-and-D wing. Even if they waive Gasol, Spurs won't have cap space to sign anybody if they resign Gay. So I'd rather do that than stand pat
yeah we need one in the worst way. kind of like a dante cunningham but with a 3 point shot and good defense

Mr. Body
01-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Spurs have to beat Houston or the Warriors to win it all. I don't think they can beat them both. A SF isn't happening. What they have can possibly get it done -- that is, if they continue at this level.

Mr. Body
01-04-2019, 06:06 PM
Celtics are winning it all this year. Not GSW, not the Raps, no one else...

Celtics ain't winning shit.

Mugen
01-04-2019, 06:09 PM
MKG is the exact player the Spurs need. He would take Gay's spot in the starting lineup thus giving our bench a ball handler for once. He's what Pop thought Cunningham was in the first 25 games of the season. Plus he has a great contract with a team option for next year.

The Hornets have a ton of wings and Cody Zeller is starting for them, Gasol would improve their C position on both ends.

Zeller is also out 4-6 weeks. The Borrego connection + the need from CHA's perspective = RC blowing up MJ's phone tbh.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-04-2019, 06:12 PM

crofl

TheGreatYacht
01-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Zeller is also out 4-6 weeks. The Borrego connection + the need from CHA's perspective = RC blowing up MJ's phone tbh.
:wow

HarlemHeat37
01-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Damn, this thread reminds me of Raptors fans from the previous 5 years or so:lol

Let's just hope that DeRozan stops being a historic playoff choker with Pop coaching him and a change of scenery, that's the first step towards "chipping"..

playbonner15
01-04-2019, 09:20 PM
haha what if Kiwi signed back with us, that would be 99% improbable but we would chip next year.
That’s why the team is not looking for a new SF! Kawhi is the new SF next season! HashtagMindBlown!

playbonner15
01-04-2019, 09:22 PM
Damn, this thread reminds me of Raptors fans from the previous 5 years or so:lol

Let's just hope that DeRozan stops being a historic playoff choker with Pop coaching him and a change of scenery, that's the first step towards "chipping"..

Gonna be a meltdown here if this team doesnt make the 8th seed or is a first round exit :lol

HarlemHeat37
01-04-2019, 09:29 PM
Gonna be a meltdown here if this team doesnt make the 8th seed or is a first round exit :lol

It would be very surprising if they missed the playoffs, at this point..their flaws aren't particularly exploitable or fatal during the RS..

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2019, 09:53 PM
so whose currently available through
FA?
trade?

thats a possible move

Chillen
01-04-2019, 09:59 PM
This team is what it is, as long as they keep playing well and show up every night and give it all they got good things will happen. A championship? well would be nice but I am sure this team just wants to get better and improve every game.

Chinook
01-04-2019, 10:17 PM

Batum is a bad defender and inconsistent shooter. I'd pause before taking him at half his contract. You don't pay a guy a quarter of the salary cap hoping he can make a big leap. May as well try for Wiggins and Parsons.

Chinook
01-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Also, Anderson just scored his first triple-double, if I recall correctly.

TDMVPDPOY
01-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Also, Anderson just scored his first triple-double, if I recall correctly.

mein nigga...

jbspurs
01-04-2019, 11:18 PM
Spurs have a chance to win it all. Forbes, White and Bertans are now playing with confidence. Pop and is trusting them and are given them more playing time, they can only get better in the coming games. Injuries will be only the setback for the Spurs, hopefully they can stay healthy.

RC_Drunkford
01-05-2019, 06:26 AM
so whose currently available through
FA?
trade?

thats a possible move

Bazemore, Carroll, Ross, Batum

Gagnrath
01-05-2019, 09:06 AM
Anyone think we can connect the grizzlies into trading us Temple and Green Straight up for Gasol and either our first or Toronto's? Brings Gasol full circle, let's him have a season playing with his brother. He agrees to retire and give the Griz cap flexibility.

duncan2k5
01-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Robert... I'm a huge spurs fan, but the delusions are insane... We beat the nuggets, and now everyone thinks we are one player away from winning a ring... Even if the best SF in the game are giannis, lebron, KD, and Kawhi... NONE are coming here... And even if they did, it wouldn't be enough to win a ring... Not with Aldridge on the team... We need to be realistic here

duncan2k5
01-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Spurs have a chance to win it all. Forbes, White and Bertans are now playing with confidence. Pop and is trusting them and are given them more playing time, they can only get better in the coming games. Injuries will be only the setback for the Spurs, hopefully they can stay healthy.

Wait, WHAT?????????? we have a chance to win a ring?? Bro... Let's pass the first round first... Good lord... Ppl look at me as the bad guy, but I'm actually the voice of reason... Temper your expectations

r0drig0lac
01-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Robert... I'm a huge spurs fan, but the delusions are insane... We beat the nuggets, and now everyone thinks we are one player away from winning a ring... Even if the best SF in the game are giannis, lebron, KD, and Kawhi... NONE are coming here... And even if they did, it wouldn't be enough to win a ring... Not with Aldridge on the team... We need to be realistic here

I disagree, with one of these we would be favorites

monty4329
01-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Hope Pop gives Walker a chance during the second half of the year. Spurs could really use his playmaking ability/athleticism coming off the bench.

how do you know? he didn't play a single meaningful minute yet in the NBA, what do you know about his playmaking ability?

monty4329
01-05-2019, 10:43 AM

The guy is just back from a (misdiagnosed) broken foot. Very hard for a 7 footer. I don't get all this hate for Pau, he played very solid minutes at the beginning of the season. He is still one of the best passers in the league, an excellent shooter, and one of the few rim protectors around. IF we make the playoffs he wil be a very useful weapon (ask Houston....)

Chinook
01-05-2019, 10:55 AM
The guy is just back from a (misdiagnosed) broken foot. Very hard for a 7 footer. I don't get all this hate for Pau, he played very solid minutes at the beginning of the season. He is still one of the best passers in the league, an excellent shooter, and one of the few rim protectors around. IF we make the playoffs he wil be a very useful weapon (ask Houston....)

I do think Pau's a good player and could beat out Poe for that rotation spot before it's all over. I don't think playing all three of those guys is sustainable, at least not if the team is going to streak the right way. I'm also all about the team being aggressive in free agency in the summer, so cap space is really valuable in my mind.

RC_Drunkford
01-05-2019, 11:04 AM
I do think Pau's a good player and could beat out Poe for that rotation spot before it's all over. I don't think playing all three of those guys is sustainable, at least not if the team is going to streak the right way. I'm also all about the team being aggressive in free agency in the summer, so cap space is really valuable in my mind.

moving Pau won't give you enough cap space though. They'd have to move Patty also to have significant cap room. You can bet money on them resigning Rudy

Chinook
01-05-2019, 11:08 AM
moving Pau won't give you enough cap space though. They'd have to move Patty also to have significant cap room. You can bet money on them resigning Rudy

I know this. But getting out of Pau's $7 Million without having to give up an asset has value, because it would make it more possible to clear the rest of the cap space. Their best option is actually to operate as an above-cap team this summer and use the MLE to add another rotation guy. That's why trading Pau is the best long-term play. But if they can't trade for such a player, then trying to secure someone like Middleton or Thompson in free agency might be possible. That really only works under a "stealth tank" scenario where the team misses the playoffs and sells off its non-core players for cap space. With them looking like a solid playoff team, they aren't likely to even consider making such a move, and they shouldn't.

bluebellmaniac
01-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Also, I'm pretty sure Milutinov is locked into his contract for the rest of the season regardless. There was some July 12 deadline for his buyout. I guess that could be renegotiated if need be. The Spurs should be able to sign Milutinov mid-season, because they were over the cap to start this past summer. But it's also possible that he wouldn't take the rookie-scale offer, and the team can't offer more. Plus the scale offer might prorate.

That's just a mess I don't want to look into.

Isn't there a point in time when we are no longer restricted to the rookie scale and we can offer more than that?

RC_Drunkford
01-05-2019, 11:12 AM
I know this. But getting out of Pau's $7 Million without having to give up an asset has value, because it would make it more possible to clear the rest of the cap space. Their best option is actually to operate as an above-cap team this summer and use the MLE to add another rotation guy. That's why trading Pau is the best long-term play. But if they can't trade for such a player, then trying to secure someone like Middleton or Thompson in free agency might be possible. That really only works under a "stealth tank" scenario where the team misses the playoffs and sells off its non-core players for cap space. With them looking like a solid playoff team, they aren't likely to even consider making such a move, and they shouldn't.

That's why I'd say they should trade Pau for an SF now. Even if it's an expiring they would have bird rights to then resign that player. Stanley Johnson should be gettable for MLE money next year. Middleton would be exactly who this team needs, but the Bucks gonna keep him and his contract will be massive

Chinook
01-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Isn't there a point in time when we are no longer restricted to the rookie scale and we can offer more than that?

Yes, and we're at that point. I had forgotten that the team kept have the MLE, so they could offer that, but something like the LLE wouldn't cut it.

Of course, sorta eff Nik if he wants more than the scale. Dude isn't worth a big contract. Would be the fourth center on the roster as currently constructed. I'd be willing to go up a little, but he hasn't developed nearly as much as I would have liked over the past couple of years.

Chinook
01-05-2019, 11:24 AM
That's why I'd say they should trade Pau for an SF now. Even if it's an expiring they would have bird rights to then resign that player. Stanley Johnson should be gettable for MLE money next year. Middleton would be exactly who this team needs, but the Bucks gonna keep him and his contract will be massive

Pau is more helpful to the team than Johnson likely would be. Regardless, their salary difference would make the trade a mess of extra player who probably dominate the value equation way more than Johnson would anyway.

ceperez
01-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Anyone think we can connect the grizzlies into trading us Temple and Green Straight up for Gasol and either our first or Toronto's? Brings Gasol full circle, let's him have a season playing with his brother. He agrees to retire and give the Griz cap flexibility.

I'm in favor of a Gasol trade to Memphis so he can play with his brother in his final season.

MaNu4Tres
01-05-2019, 11:37 AM

This does nothing for the Spurs. Temple would be behind Belinelli, Green would be behind Rudy & Davis.

MaNu4Tres
01-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Bazemore, Carroll, Ross, Batum

None of these players are good enough to make any difference. May as well keep assets and give Lonnie an opportunity.

picnroll
01-05-2019, 11:45 AM
What about Ariza for Gasol and Toronto’s pick? Washington’s in tank mode.

Chinook
01-05-2019, 11:50 AM
What about Ariza for Gasol and Toronto’s pick? Washington’s in tank mode.

Not horrible from a pure cap-savings perspective, but I'm not giving up a first unless it also included a Bryant-for-Pon swap.

DPG21920
01-05-2019, 12:01 PM
There isn't any possible deal where Batum comes back to SA that isn't awful for the Spurs. Worst contract in the NBA. Yes, worse than Wall's.

His contract has nothing to do with his on court play :wink

Chinook
01-05-2019, 12:05 PM
His contract has nothing to do with his on court play :wink

Yes, and if he were already on the roster, I wouldn't want him benched just because he's horrible bang for his buck. I also wouldn't downplay whatever he did to well because of his salary. But acquiring him is a completely different matter, because his contract totally affects that.

Plus, I really don't like Batum as a player. Never have, even when he wasn't the worst contract ever. I wouldn't contort myself just to try to make it seem like everything was based in his salary.

monty4329
01-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Really, has anybody watched Milutinov play? I don't mean the stats (they look good), actually watching him playing. On a NBA perspective, he royally sucks. There is zero chance, really, he will ever play significant minutes, if any, in the league.

monty4329
01-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Actually, almost every top team is trying to have three centers to rotate. This doesn't mean Pau has to stay, I am just saying that trading him would only be a move for the future, and bad for this year. This season he is and will be much better than anything you can get back at his position.
Sure we need a SF (I can't see any available that would make a difference, though), but then at center we would be dramatically exposed once the PO start. I know, PO are hard to get into, but once in anybody can beat everybody (not GS).

RC_Drunkford
01-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Pau is more helpful to the team than Johnson likely would be. Regardless, their salary difference would make the trade a mess of extra player who probably dominate the value equation way more than Johnson would anyway.

I didn't say trade for Johnson. What I meant was move Pau for an SF and then sign Johnson in the offseason. Spurs need wings that can defend

None of these players are good enough to make any difference. May as well keep assets and give Lonnie an opportunity.

I disagree. Bazemore is a better fit to our offense than Danny Green and people would love to have Danny back

DPG21920
01-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Yes, and if he were already on the roster, I wouldn't want him benched just because he's horrible bang for his buck. I also wouldn't downplay whatever he did to well because of his salary. But acquiring him is a completely different matter, because his contract totally affects that.

Plus, I really don't like Batum as a player. Never have, even when he wasn't the worst contract ever. I wouldn't contort myself just to try to make it seem like everything was based in his salary.

I was messing with you. Batum sucks. I don’t want Patty benched because his salary. I hate his contract and regret SA did it. I simply want him to have a very short leash as a player.

R. DeMurre
01-05-2019, 12:40 PM
I don't see any available SFs out there, and I think the three guard rotation looks pretty good with Forbes/White/DeRozan, so I'd be looking more for a center. That would move LMA to his comfort zone at PF, and hopefully help unload Pau's contract.

superbigtime
01-05-2019, 12:46 PM
I like Quincy Pondexter more than Batum. Seriously.

Gordy58
01-05-2019, 12:50 PM
I hope Demarre Carroll is bought out. I could see Demar and Rudy having a say in him possibly coming to SA.

BOHOLANO#21
01-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Knowing Popovich, trade is not needed at this point when the team is already starting to jell well. A trade will only disrupt team chemistry.

MaNu4Tres
01-05-2019, 01:12 PM
I disagree. Bazemore is a better fit to our offense than Danny Green and people would love to have Danny back

If they stay healthy, Forbes & White are locks to start from here on out this season. They've been two of the top 5 or 6 best players and a huge part of the resurgence the past 15 games.

Bazemore would be competing with Belinelli & Mills for minutes. And Pop loves Mills & Belinelli, so goodluck with Bazemore taking those minutes.

duncan2k5
01-05-2019, 04:15 PM
I disagree, with one of these we would be favorites

lol...u underestimate the caner that is aldridge...why do u think he couldnt get out the first round with lillard/CJ, and Roy...the guy is allergic to being a second banana...and a playoff choker...we had kawhi...one of the best, if not the best sf in the world...and the guy pouted the entire season and demanded a trade, not because he missed family, but because he didnt shoot more...despite the spurs team being one of the leading teams in assists, and having one of the best records in franchise history...despite absolutely dominating the warriors in game 1, then when left to shoot all the shots, he choked...

and u think we become favorites with any of those other SF? all who if not worse than kawhi, definitely shoot more than him? LMA will need a binky by time the all star break comes and he isnt on the team

marinoman
01-05-2019, 05:39 PM
Ross + simmons for pau + Cunningham + 1st

RC_Drunkford
01-05-2019, 05:52 PM
If they stay healthy, Forbes & White are locks to start from here on out this season. They've been two of the top 5 or 6 best players and a huge part of the resurgence the past 15 games.

Bazemore would be competing with Belinelli & Mills for minutes. And Pop loves Mills & Belinelli, so goodluck with Bazemore taking those minutes.

You really want to tell me that you would start Forbes over Bazemore??? That's retarded. Bazemore and Forbes average the same amount of points on the same amount of minutes. But Bazemore is the better defender. Forbes can come off the bench, he shouldn't start

marinoman
01-05-2019, 05:53 PM
lol...u underestimate the caner that is aldridge...why do u think he couldnt get out the first round with lillard/CJ, and Roy...the guy is allergic to being a second banana...and a playoff choker...we had kawhi...one of the best, if not the best sf in the world...and the guy pouted the entire season and demanded a trade, not because he missed family, but because he didnt shoot more...despite the spurs team being one of the leading teams in assists, and having one of the best records in franchise history...despite absolutely dominating the warriors in game 1, then when left to shoot all the shots, he choked...

and u think we become favorites with any of those other SF? all who if not worse than kawhi, definitely shoot more than him? LMA will need a binky by time the all star break comes and he isnt on the team
Not really, you remember his semis with the spurs against okc

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/San-Antonio-Spurs/26/Stats/2016/Advanced_Stats/All/per/All/desc/1/Playoffs_Conference_Semi_Finals

SAGirl
01-05-2019, 06:57 PM

I'm in favor of a Gasol trade to Memphis so he can play with his brother in his final season.

Memphis is 450k away from the luxury tax. I doubt they would take even a little bit of salary and Temple is playing upwards of 35 minutes some nights. They can't afford to give him up. They also don't need Pau Gasol. Not only do they have Mark, but also their best prospect in years is a rookie big they need to give minutes to (Jaren Jackson), and then on top of that they signed Joakim Noah, (to play next to Green.) Even if they were interested (and I don't think they are) it would be too difficult to find a way to make it work.

DAF86
01-05-2019, 07:10 PM
You really want to tell me that you would start Forbes over Bazemore??? That's retarded. Bazemore and Forbes average the same amount of points on the same amount of minutes. But Bazemore is the better defender. Forbes can come off the bench, he shouldn't start

Bazemore isn't really that good, tbh. He's 6'5 (below average height even for SG) and he's shooting 32% from three. If he could be had from a buyout at the minimum, sure; but he isn't worth giving up assets, tbh.

SAGirl
01-05-2019, 07:33 PM
I hope Demarre Carroll is bought out. I could see Demar and Rudy having a say in him possibly coming to SA.
The Nets have been in a winning streak comparable to the Spurs. I doubt they are sellers. Currently 8th in the eastern conference.

Dingle Barry
01-05-2019, 07:42 PM
This team can win a chip this year if GSW is not 100%. Spurs have a good shot against any other team. I think that's obvious.
I think they'd have to lose 2 out of 3 of KD, Steph, Klay for the Spurs to beat them with this perimeter D.

Dingle Barry
01-05-2019, 07:45 PM
I like Quincy Pondexter more than Batum. Seriously.
You're insane.

TimmyBuckets
01-05-2019, 08:13 PM
I think they'd have to lose 2 out of 3 of KD, Steph, Klay for the Spurs to beat them with this perimeter D.

Hopefully another team will do that for us with the help of some injuries.

offset formation
01-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Did Aldridge gang bang your favorite teacher, your librarian, your local barber, your vet, and your proctologist, along with your granny, two aunts, both sisters, and your mom? Jesus H Christ, your hate for him is pathological.

jbspurs
01-06-2019, 03:52 AM
Wait, WHAT?????????? we have a chance to win a ring?? Bro... Let's pass the first round first... Good lord... Ppl look at me as the bad guy, but I'm actually the voice of reason... Temper your expectations

"Chance" not favorite to win it all. Spurs don't look good on paper. But, they're a very dangerous team, the young guns are getting better and building confidence. Reminds me of the 2013 Warriors, very deadly specially when they get hot.

cd021
01-06-2019, 05:54 AM
I think White's improvement on both sides of the ball has certainly helped stabilize the starting lineup and the bench has carried this team.

I think this team has a legitimately good 9 man rotation after purging Cunningham and Belinelli improving closer towards his mean (along with Aldridge of course)

I think a lot rides on seeding but I don't see any team other than the Warriors that this team couldn't potentially beat in a 7 game series in the west.

cd021
01-06-2019, 05:58 AM
The Nets have been in a winning streak comparable to the Spurs. I doubt they are sellers. Currently 8th in the eastern conference.

Agreed, which is a shame cause he would be a good get.

cd021
01-06-2019, 06:10 AM

Spurs would be better served stretching Gasol, re-signing Gay, using their picks, hoping Murray is 80% of the defender- with a jump shot, and then having access to the full midlevel.

Batum doesn't move the needle nearly enough and his contract isn't worth taking on for the 16th pick.

NameLess Scrub
01-06-2019, 06:15 AM
Some somewhat cheaper 3&D options that come to mind are Damyeon Dotson and Juancho Hernangomez (it's gotta be Hernandez-Gomez right?)

Idk what's up with that. Hernán is also a name so his last name is a full name with a removed space, like in an email.

BillMc
01-06-2019, 06:16 AM
Not that it would ever happen, but would anyone want Kyle back in exchange fro Pau?

8FOR!3
01-06-2019, 09:53 AM
Idk what's up with that. Hernán is also a name so his last name is a full name with a removed space, like in an email.

Yeah didn't think about Hernán but that makes it even stranger the way it's written lol. Half surprised there's not an article somewhere about it.

BackHome
01-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Really, has anybody watched Milutinov play? I don't mean the stats (they look good), actually watching him playing. On a NBA perspective, he royally sucks. There is zero chance, really, he will ever play significant minutes, if any, in the league.

I have watched him and have to disagree he is a very good player and every year he has gotten better I wanted him to replace Gasol.

duncan2k5
01-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Not really, you remember his semis with the spurs against okc

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/San-Antonio-Spurs/26/Stats/2016/Advanced_Stats/All/per/All/desc/1/Playoffs_Conference_Semi_Finals

Revisionist history and misleading stats... The OVERALL numbers look decent because he had a monster first two games... Every game after that he played poorly... Including one game where he shot less than 23%, and another where he shot around 30%...he choked... No need to defend him choking because you like him and hate Kawhi... No need to defend him choking because I'm the one saying it and u hate me... Playing great for two games then falling off a cliff the next 4 games is choking... We say that about every single other player who does it

marinoman
01-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Revisionist history and misleading stats... The OVERALL numbers look decent because he had a monster first two games... Every game after that he played poorly... Including one game where he shot less than 23%, and another where he shot around 30%...he choked... No need to defend him choking because you like him and hate Kawhi... No need to defend him choking because I'm the one saying it and u hate me... Playing great for two games then falling off a cliff the next 4 games is choking... We say that about every single other player who does it
You wanna be a kawhi cuck that now hates on everything the spurs do, thats fine, calling lma a playoff chocker is bs. DeMar and his playoff disappearances are accurate not lma’s. True that gsw series where the nephew got hurt he failed but that’s it. Remember to get to that gsw series he had the biggest game of any spur in the series to demolish Houston in game 6

duncan2k5
01-06-2019, 05:14 PM
You wanna be a kawhi cuck that now hates on everything the spurs do, thats fine, calling lma a playoff chocker is bs. DeMar and his playoff disappearances are accurate not lma’s. True that gsw series where the nephew got hurt he failed but that’s it. Remember to get to that gsw series he had the biggest game of any spur in the series to demolish Houston in game 6
of any spur? kawhi had several games that were better in that series...how quickly we forget that kawhi was on pace of having the best postseason in the league that year of any player...
i gave you proof as to how LMA choked...you cant point to one game as evidence of him not choking...i pointed out how he fell off in the very same series you said he didnt choke in...he choked in the GS series...he was getting manhandled vs the grizzlies...he had a decent series vs the rockets...nothing to write home about...but he absolutely choked in the other series....come on we all say the games...do you want me to post the game threads so you all can see what we were saying about LMA at the time? lol

monty4329
01-06-2019, 06:12 PM
I have watched him and have to disagree he is a very good player and every year he has gotten better I wanted him to replace Gasol.

Frankly, Gasol even today would eat alive any big in the Greek league and 80% of them in the Euroleague. If you watch Euroleague basket, you know that the guards are often NBA level players, just shorter, but the bigs are far from it. Happy to be wrong on Milutinovic, though, if that will be the case.

RC_Drunkford
01-07-2019, 06:21 AM
Bazemore isn't really that good, tbh. He's 6'5 (below average height even for SG) and he's shooting 32% from three. If he could be had from a buyout at the minimum, sure; but he isn't worth giving up assets, tbh.

On the Hawks, that number goes up if he plays for the Spurs. His wingspan is 6-11 ˝ , Danny Green's wingspan is 6-10'

RC_Drunkford
01-07-2019, 06:25 AM
of any spur? kawhi had several games that were better in that series...how quickly we forget that kawhi was on pace of having the best postseason in the league that year of any player...
i gave you proof as to how LMA choked...you cant point to one game as evidence of him not choking...i pointed out how he fell off in the very same series you said he didnt choke in...he choked in the GS series...he was getting manhandled vs the grizzlies...he had a decent series vs the rockets...nothing to write home about...but he absolutely choked in the other series....come on we all say the games...do you want me to post the game threads so you all can see what we were saying about LMA at the time? lol

LA had dropped 26 on the Warriors before Kawhi got hurt when they weren't able to double team him. You obviously don't understand basketball. Take LA off the court and they would've double teamed Kawhi. Get that dildo up out your ass. Your boy Kawhi didn't reach the finals once without Duncan. He didn't win anything without Duncan yet, so the jury is still out. All he achieved was one WCF where he couldn't even play one full game, yet you act like he's LeBron

duncan2k5
01-07-2019, 10:16 AM
LA had dropped 26 on the Warriors before Kawhi got hurt when they weren't able to double team him. You obviously don't understand basketball. Take LA off the court and they would've double teamed Kawhi. Get that dildo up out your ass. Your boy Kawhi didn't reach the finals once without Duncan. He didn't win anything without Duncan yet, so the jury is still out. All he achieved was one WCF where he couldn't even play one full game, yet you act like he's LeBron

He played one season without Duncan... Lmfao! He most likely would have won a ring if Zaza didn't happen... At the time we ALL said as much... Last season he was injured... Now this season he is the favorite in the east to go to the finals... The guy is doing great and I miss him on our team...

And there are teams with one all star and they don't choke in the playoffs like LMA does... So that's a poor excuse... He just isn't mentally nor physically tough enough to deal with playoff pressures and demands... He isn't in his early 20s..the guy is nearing retirement... We have YEARS of evidence

RC_Drunkford
01-07-2019, 10:42 AM
He played one season without Duncan... Lmfao! He most likely would have won a ring if Zaza didn't happen... At the time we ALL said as much... Last season he was injured... Now this season he is the favorite in the east to go to the finals... The guy is doing great and I miss him on our team...

And there are teams with one all star and they don't choke in the playoffs like LMA does... So that's a poor excuse... He just isn't mentally nor physically tough enough to deal with playoff pressures and demands... He isn't in his early 20s..the guy is nearing retirement... We have YEARS of evidence

Kawhi hasn't been in the finals since 2014. He was healthy and didn't play. And who the fuck misses 4 playoff games in a 10 day span cause he rolled his ankle? If Kawhi was tough he would've played, but he's a bitch that doesn't like to play through pain. Let's see how your boy does in the playoffs, cause I'm quite sure he won't reach the finals

Gizmo121212
01-12-2019, 01:52 AM
JSimms wld be a solid 3
still don’t get why we let him walk
smh

Slippy
01-12-2019, 03:04 AM

Actually you're biased with your version of events. He had one bad game , the rest of them, he showed up just didn't have monster games like the first 2.

Just keep pretending nephew showed up for that series