PDA

View Full Version : LWIV with a career high 34 points

Fusternino
01-05-2019, 07:33 PM
https://gleague.nba.com/games/20190105/MHUAUS/

SAGirl
01-05-2019, 07:58 PM
To quote some sarcastic fanboys here: "in a loss!"

Now, to be real. Great to see. He's been more off than on a few times I've checked up and was off in the first half when I stopped watching. So he must have killed it in the second half. Worth watching.

Need highlights
:clap

SAGirl
01-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Man Doral Moore with 17 rebounds for the Hustle (Watanabe looked good too)... Metu with just 1 rebound !!

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-05-2019, 09:45 PM
He was hitting his 3 and a lot of midrange Js, but wish he'd drive all the way to the hoop more often. His passing wasn't great too, but perhaps he's told to look to score and not be a distributor.

Pavlov
01-05-2019, 09:52 PM
Drives really weren't there tonight. High screens from Brimah really got him open in the second and Lonnie delivered. Bounced one off Brimah's head with one pass when Brimah started to roll.

BD24
01-05-2019, 11:00 PM
Caught some of the game, his defense still looks like ass even against G Leaguers

Chump you ever go to any of the Austin Spurs games? I have been to a few over the years, the arena is pretty nice.

Pavlov
01-05-2019, 11:11 PM
Caught some of the game, his defense still looks like ass even against G Leaguers

Chump you ever go to any of the Austin Spurs games? I have been to a few over the years, the arena is pretty nice.Haven't been for awhile. Better arena for hockey but it draws better than downtown ever did.

picnroll
01-05-2019, 11:13 PM
NBAdraft.net take on Walker was that he had the tools to play defense but lost focus on that end of the court. Guaranteed Pop will clean that up.

ceperez
01-06-2019, 07:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhiS2VzaxS8

Finally, the guy is showing he can score!!!

A few more games in Austin and he's ready!

Blackhaus
01-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Yeah it’s g league but his offensive skill set is very very intriguing. Can’t remember the last player we’ve had this young with the skill set to hit the 3, the midrange on a pull up and the athletism to take it to the hoop. I rather him just keep shooting those jump shots all year, no reason to jerk around those knees and take contact for no reason and risk getting hurt and losing development time. That hit in the highlight looked brutal.

ceperez
01-06-2019, 09:00 AM
Yeah it’s g league but his offensive skill set is very very intriguing. Can’t remember the last player we’ve had this young with the skill set to hit the 3, the midrange on a pull up and the athletism to take it to the hoop. I rather him just keep shooting those jump shots all year, no reason to jerk around those knees and take contact for no reason and risk getting hurt and losing development time. That hit in the highlight looked brutal.

He shouldn't be taking risks like that. He could have passed it. But maybe he's on a mission? Maybe that short time on the NBA court got him motivated.

Now that he's shown he can score, he has to show he can play with his team mates to win a game. They lost that game.

dbestpro
01-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Scoring is nice, but what will make the difference in today's NBA is learning to play defense. It seems everyone can score, but not everyone can play defense.

ceperez
01-06-2019, 09:17 AM
Scoring is nice, but what will make the difference in today's NBA is learning to play defense. It seems everyone can score, but not everyone can play defense.

I agree.

But, if you can't score in the G-League then that's a serious issue. Scoring 34 at least gets you past that concern.

Before this explosion, Walker IV had pedestrian numbers.

With Walker IV, Spurs are stacked in the backcourt even without Murray!

Let's add Moore and Huestis as SFs in replacement of Cunningham and Pondexter.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-06-2019, 11:39 AM
That shot he took going for the dunk was ugly, but he really didn’t have a lot of drives to the hoop...at least from the highlights. I think I saw one layup and one miss...that were shown anyway. He had 4 threes and the rest were midrange shots.

I agree with the defense comments though. That’s what will solidify him as an NBA talent. Hopefully that will be there for him.

Atl Spur
01-06-2019, 12:01 PM
I agree.

But, if you can't score in the G-League then that's a serious issue. Scoring 34 at least gets you past that concern.

Before this explosion, Walker IV had pedestrian numbers.

With Walker IV, Spurs are stacked in the backcourt even without Murray!

Let's add Moore and Huestis as SFs in replacement of Cunningham and Pondexter.

I agree! Moore and Huestis need a call up

CGD
01-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Of the triumvirate of him, Murray, and white, he’s looked the most gifted at this early phase of their respective career. Exciting

John B
01-06-2019, 12:11 PM
He was hitting his 3 and a lot of midrange Js, but wish he'd drive all the way to the hoop more often. His passing wasn't great too, but perhaps he's told to look to score and not be a distributor.
His ticket is playing defense and hitting those open shots, especially the 3’s. He’s shown that he can penetrate. I don’t think he’s expected to pass or create, except swinging it to the open guy. That could be asking too much from the young guy and cause turnovers, for now at least just enough to insert him in the game.

UZER
01-06-2019, 12:12 PM
That shot he took going for the dunk was ugly, but he really didn’t have a lot of drives to the hoop...at least from the highlights. I think I saw one layup and one miss...that were shown anyway. He had 4 threes and the rest were midrange shots.

I agree with the defense comments though. That’s what will solidify him as an NBA talent. Hopefully that will be there for him.

Maybe FO told him to work on outside game and limit drives.

John B
01-06-2019, 12:16 PM
I agree! Moore and Huestis need a call up
Is Huestis already playing? I’m excited for this kid. Hopefully he’s not a Cunningham and stall the offensive flow

ceperez
01-06-2019, 12:17 PM
His ticket is playing defense and hitting those open shots, especially the 3’s. He’s shown that he can penetrate. I don’t think he’s expected to pass or create, except swinging it to the open guy. That could be asking too much from the young guy and cause turnovers, for now at least just enough to insert him in the game.

The problem with too much talent is that you don't know what to focus on that will help your team.

Should Walker IV become a DeRozan clone that shoots the 3?

Should he become a Patrick Beverly with a lot more offensive skills?

The Spurs need a defensive wing that can shoot the 3 when open. Looks like he is improving hitting the 3, a good sign! Now can he play team defense?

8FOR!3
01-06-2019, 12:18 PM
His athleticism is what stands out. Handles and scoring also have a lot of upside. Defense and 3 point shooting is what he'll focus on to become a better player but those aren't what makes him an NBA talent imo.

The problem with too much talent is that you don't know what to focus on that will help your team.

The Spurs need a defensive wing that can shoot the 3 when open. Looks like he is improving hitting the 3, a good sign! Now can he play team defense?

Don't want to turn him into something he's not. With his athleticism and handles I think he can become a DeRozan type scorer who can also hit the 3. His athleticism should allow him to become a better defender than DeRozan if he puts in the work but I wouldn't call him a 3&D wing. 1. he's more of a guard than a wing anyways. 2. Defense and shooting aren't his biggest strengths, you definitely want him to get as good as possible at that but take the advantage of the fact that he could potentially become a really good or elite scorer and ball handler.

John B
01-06-2019, 12:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhiS2VzaxS8

Finally, the guy is showing he can score!!!

A few more games in Austin and he's ready!
Oh my this kid is ready! Yes lol. Whose minutes is he gonna be taking tbh? We’re stacked at the backcourt.

ceperez
01-06-2019, 12:28 PM
His athleticism is what stands out. Handles and scoring also have a lot of upside. Defense and 3 point shooting is what he'll focus on to become a better player but those aren't what makes him an NBA talent imo.

Don't want to turn him into something he's not. With his athleticism and handles I think he can become a DeRozan type scorer who can also hit the 3. His athleticism should allow him to become a better defender than DeRozan if he puts in the work but I wouldn't call him a 3&D wing. 1. he's more of a guard than a wing anyways. 2. Defense and shooting aren't his biggest strengths, you definitely want him to get as good as possible at that but take the advantage of the fact that he could potentially become a really good or elite scorer and ball handler.

The kid is just 20 and it'll do him very well if he can play as intelligent as White. Murray as an example is nowhere close to White in seeing what's going on in the court. It's the kind of vision that can't be taught. Manu had this in spades.

Walker IV (if he can shoot the 3) may slot in perfectly in Forbes spot. That would shut down the hole that Forbes brings in defense.

Playoffs: White, Walker, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge
2nd team: Mills, Forbes, Belinelli, Bertans, Poetl

Not bad!

Next year, you got Murray, 3 draft picks, and lots of cash!

John B
01-06-2019, 12:29 PM

Agree. Imo Spurs mantra is defense, defense and more defense. The 2nd unit almost let the Griz come back from the big lead, reminiscent of the lost to the Bulls. I think that’s where he’s needed and keep the defensive stalwart, for now lol cause this kid has the making of a star. If he’s over-himself personality he could play as Manu as 6th man. But bruh we’re stacked

playbonner15
01-06-2019, 12:38 PM
Was hoping he can be a defensive stopper but looks like he likes being an offensive guard which is not bad but defense is what is lacking in this Spurs team. Looks like he needs more time in Austin and playing with the bench to really know his role. Dont know how the ball handling will work with White, Murray, Walker at the same time. I just see him standing at the 3 pt line during garbage time so I dont think now’s the time for Lonnie

BD24
01-06-2019, 12:45 PM
The kid is just 20 and it'll do him very well if he can play as intelligent as White. Murray as an example is nowhere close to White in seeing what's going on in the court. It's the kind of vision that can't be taught. Manu had this in spades.

Walker IV (if he can shoot the 3) may slot in perfectly in Forbes spot. That would shut down the hole that Forbes brings in defense.

Not bad!

He would pair much better with the second unit. He could be their primary ballhandler. Plus, you don't want a backcourt of forbes and mills tbh.

ceperez
01-06-2019, 12:49 PM
He would pair much better with the second unit. He could be their primary ballhandler. Plus, you don't want a backcourt of forbes and mills tbh.

Realistically, platoon substitutions aren't going to happen. DeRozan staggers normally into the second lineup.

BackHome
01-06-2019, 12:54 PM
I see him of a Mills player right now his offense game is way better then his defense game. I have watched him this year and while you can tell he is explosive as hell and has a NBA body you can also tell he has a lot to learn. On defense he takes bad angles and his help defense is not very good. The plus side his 3 ball is getting much better and he is a very smart player and has a great work ethic.

Him playing in G League is a must as he needs all the reps and coaching as possible to be ready for a year end run or to compete next year.

On on another topic people need to stop the Murray Vs White VS Walker that shit got old with Parker VS Manu. All three have a roll to play and all three can get playing time. All three have gotten injured and missed time so it’s nice to have depth at guard position.

8FOR!3
01-06-2019, 01:17 PM

Not bad!

I agree with the guy who said he'd pair better with Mills so you don't have Mills/Forbes in at the same time a lot in the backcourt. I also don't think Walker is going to be polished enough to start this year. Although Donovan Mitchell kinda proved last year if you can play, you can play. Wouldn't be surprised though if he doesn't get big minutes at all this year because I kind of think we're considering trading Gasol. Part of me thinks Pop knows Gasol/Poeltl don't need to be starting next to Aldridge so that leaves room for one of them. Poeltl is 23 and playing great and was a piece of a big trade so I think that makes Gasol the odd man out. Hopefully we can get a Damyeon Dotson/Dorian Finney-Smith type of player in return.

Blackhaus
01-06-2019, 01:30 PM
I would rather him be an elite scorer and an average defender than vice versa. In today’s nba you have to be able to score in multiple ways to be useful and get pt. Beside they have 2 elite defensive guards in White and Murray. I like that threesome if Walker can continue to improve and most importantly STAY healthy. He needs to learn to tame down the herky jerky motions or else his knees will never hold up.

Hillary Clinton
01-06-2019, 01:37 PM
I don't want him playing defense in the fucking gleague and getting injured. :lol

He'll do it when he gets healthier. :lol

picnroll
01-06-2019, 01:38 PM
As long as Pop’s the coach players will play defense to their maximum ability. They screw up, miss their assignments they get pulled and their ass gets chewed. Walker will be the same as everyone else. Playing time comes with defensive effort and attention.

RC_Drunkford
01-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Need more dominant outings like this from him, so he gets NBA minutes. The kids offensive game is crazy for a 20 year old. He's super athletic, can get to the rim, can play off the ball, shoot the 3 and midrange, off the dribble pull ups, has handles, a stepback and uses angles well to get to the line. His shooting just needs to get more consistent, but it seems like he has already worked on that. Now if he can play good D he will be a stud

Fireball
01-07-2019, 08:53 AM
Pop already surprised me by not playing Pau ... now if he only would give this kid some rotation minutes I would be pleased

picnroll
01-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Pop will start to give Walker minutes at a meaningful time in the game to let Walker screw up on D, get pulled and chewed on to begin the process of learning D = PT. Spurstalk fan will be outraged that Walker got pulled for a small mistake. Some things are inevitable.

ceperez
01-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Need more dominant outings like this from him, so he gets NBA minutes. The kids offensive game is crazy for a 20 year old. He's super athletic, can get to the rim, can play off the ball, shoot the 3 and midrange, off the dribble pull ups, has handles, a stepback and uses angles well to get to the line. His shooting just needs to get more consistent, but it seems like he has already worked on that. Now if he can play good D he will be a stud

A consistent string of over 20 points per game in G-league should be first hurdle.

Then, I want to see a high efficiency and an error free game.

Walker IV has too much talent that he can easily fall into the trap of being too inefficient or too error prone.

I will give him 2 more weeks in G-league and then call him up to play in the 2nd unit. Basically playing DeRozan's role.

TimmyBuckets
01-07-2019, 10:45 AM
I don't think "career high" and "g league" belong together.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Pop will start to give Walker minutes at a meaningful time in the game to let Walker screw up on D, get pulled and chewed on to begin the process of learning D = PT. Spurstalk fan will be outraged that Walker got pulled for a small mistake. Some things are inevitable.

True. He'll have to get baptized into the system. ST will riot.

picnroll
01-07-2019, 01:22 PM
True. He'll have to get baptized into the system. ST will riot.
The inevitable ST comments on what an incompetent coach and mean person Pop is. Lol

Mr. Body
01-07-2019, 02:08 PM
The inevitable ST comments on what an incompetent coach and mean person Pop is. Lol

And then, later, when Walker plays seamlessly within the offensive and defensive systems, most will wonder how it all happened.

picnroll
01-07-2019, 02:38 PM
And then, later, when Walker plays seamlessly within the offensive and defensive systems, most will wonder how it all happened.
... and how he should have been starting months earlier.

Mr. Body
01-08-2019, 10:02 PM
Meanwhile Lonnie is like 1-11 tonight.

Ice009
01-08-2019, 10:13 PM
Meanwhile Lonnie is like 1-11 tonight.

Shit, not what I wanted to hear. I want him playing as soon as possible with the Spurs. That's not going to help his cause (or mine ;)).

01-08-2019, 10:17 PM
Meanwhile Lonnie is like 1-11 tonight.:lol ST scouts

Mr. Body
01-08-2019, 10:24 PM
Shit, not what I wanted to hear. I want him playing as soon as possible with the Spurs. That's not going to help his cause (or mine ;)).

I wouldn't expect to see him much this year.

SPURt
01-09-2019, 01:40 AM
He was 2-12, 4 pts, 4 rbs, 2 ast in 28 min for a +/- of -23. Ouch

Larry O
01-09-2019, 04:43 AM
Hmmm... as much as I'm liking LW4's potential, and would like for him to be actively playing with the Big Boys, his inconsistent play, especially in the GLeage, is showing that he still has some maturing and work to do on his game, so I don't think he's not quite ready for primetime yet.

ceperez
01-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Hmmm... as much as I'm liking LW4's potential, and would like for him to be actively playing with the Big Boys, his inconsistent play, especially in the GLeage, is showing that he still has some maturing and work to do on his game, so I don't think he's not quite ready for primetime yet.

I agree, too inconsistent!!

I would like LW4 to be called up, but these poor shooting numbers isn't going to cut it!

SpurSpike
01-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Even when he played on the big club the other night he wasn't too impressive on the defensive end, seemed more focused on offense. In fact i would argue he looked quite terrible on the defensive end and even though it was garbage time, that's no excuse when you are the new guy trying to prove yourself.

Pavlov
01-09-2019, 05:06 PM
To be fair they weren't running plays for him. It was the Eubanks/Brimah show on offense. Pretty unsinspired play from Lonnie this game tho.

HankChinaski
01-09-2019, 05:33 PM
I honestly think if he is going to get rotation minutes at all this season it will be around late February early March. That's a big if. Him being injured an missing most of preseason and a lot team practices hurt his assimilation into the team this season.

Walker getting high minute usage in G-League learning the sets and building on areas that are needing improvement will be much more useful for him in the long run.

emmo
01-14-2019, 02:12 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ypz3vt8mY