PDA

View Full Version : Visit to San Antonio, random questions...

Msirotic
01-07-2019, 01:54 PM
I've been on this site for many many years, this is my first time writing.

I plan a visit to SA probably in May for the playoffs (hopefully!) and since I live very far away, I am hoping to make the trip count. I was wondering if some of the pillar members from this message board would be able to answer a few questions;

-Are there any "VIP" tickets that give you access to the game before the rest of the crowd and potentially obtain autographs from players?
Many years ago, I went to a game with "Charter" tickets purchased from a season ticket holder and it allowed exactly that, I had access to the court at the same time as media and got an autograph from Duncan and Ginobili... Just wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not this still exist?

-Is there anyway to meet David Robinson and get him to sign a jersey?
My love for basketball basically started with David Robinson, I collect a lot of signed memorabilia but because I was younger then, I never had anything signed by Robinson in person. Lots of items purchased from other people, but never me obtaining it first hand. It is kind of on my bucket list. Would there be events in SA where he attends and sign, or charity event I could attend to possibly meet him? I know a few years ago, I saw online that he attended a sport cards store for autograph session, any input you have would be tremendous, this is for my 40th birthday, I am willing to consider just about anything... I would be of course interested to know if there are similar events for any of the other Spurs players too... Maybe there is a place where these upcoming type of events are posted ahead of time?!?

-What are the best place to buy either Spurs memorabilia of cool Spurs related items in SA?

-What is your favorite hotel/restaurant that I should consider?

Sorry for the message being this long and I will be appreciative of anything you can provide.

Thank you,

MoSpur02
01-07-2019, 02:14 PM
There are tickets/passes you can buy to get into the arena early to get autographs.

David Robinson makes some of the games. He sits in the second row of section 24 I believe. He's very nice and open to taking pictures and signing autographs, but it's not a guarantee.

The Spurs Fan Shop inside the AT&T Center has lots to choose from as far as Spurs merchandise. It can be pretty pricey. If you can, maybe try finding an Academy Sports & Outdoors store to purchase Spurs merchandise. It can be cheaper. However, they may not have as much as the Fan Shop inside the AT&T Center.

As far as hotels, I really wouldn't know. I live in town and don't really have one in mind as far as where to stay that is great if you're going to attend a Spurs game. I would not recommend staying in the side of town where the AT&T Center is located. Not much going on there. Maybe downtown, but most charge for parking. Other that downtown maybe the Northwest part of town near the I-10/Loop 1604 area, but it's quite a drive to the arena.

Msirotic
01-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Thank you for the input, much appreciated! I'll try to get tickets in Section 24... just in case!

Thank you again!

sasaint
01-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Take your pick of downtown hotels - in any price range. They are all as near to the AT&T center as you really want, and a pretty straight shot. Of the big brand hotels, Marriott has a couple of nice ones to choose from. What kind of food do you enjoy?

Play Boban
01-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Eat at Whataburger.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Eat at Whataburger.

Go to a Golden State game and eat at In n Out

Emperor
01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Head to Lulu's just north of downtown and order the Sheriff chicken fried steak.

SpurSpike
01-07-2019, 03:32 PM

Was excited when they started showing up around here because i heard they were good but in all honesty In and Out SUCKS! Tiny little baby burgers AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE BACON AS AN OPTION WTF!

Msirotic
01-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Awesome! All good stuff! Thank you!

JeffDuncan
01-07-2019, 03:45 PM
The Jim's Restaurants do an especially good job with breakfasts.

Dverde
01-07-2019, 03:45 PM
Sorta on topic. I’m going to New Orleans to see the Spurs play later this month. Anyone got any tips for that arena, it’s called the Smoothie King Center?

Msirotic
01-07-2019, 03:57 PM
I don't know the arena in New Orleans at all, but if it is your first time there, you have to go to "Cafe du Monde" awesome coffee and those powder doughnuts they are super famous for are insane!

sasaint
01-07-2019, 04:02 PM
The Jim's Restaurants do an especially good job with breakfasts.

Good charbroiled burgers, too, which is actually how Jim got started. Great, thin onion rings, too.

Msirotic
01-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Awesome, I'll make sure to go to Jim's restaurant. BTW, I spoke to a few people from SA, they all told me that Robinson doesn't usually take part into too many autograph sessions anymore, but apparently he is super approachable and will sign a jersey for a fan if I was to run into him. I am told when he attends games, he usually sits in Section 24? Anyone ales can confirm that? Also it seems to me that he almost always attend in the playoffs, maybe that would be my way to go. Unless anyone knows other options?!? Thank you again, you guys are awesome!

Play Boban
01-07-2019, 04:18 PM
Sorta on topic. I’m going to New Orleans to see the Spurs play later this month. Anyone got any tips for that arena, it’s called the Smoothie King Center?

Good luck dodging the bullets, homeless people, and the needles tbh......

Play Boban
01-07-2019, 04:19 PM
I don't know the arena in New Orleans at all, but if it is your first time there, you have to go to "Cafe du Monde" awesome coffee and those powder doughnuts they are super famous for are insane!

That's true. Though every other scummy tourist is there too unfortunately smh.....

R. DeMurre
01-07-2019, 04:19 PM
If you wanna check out a great local band while in San Antonio, look for these guys: https://www.facebook.com/buttercult/

Keepin' it real
01-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Agree with Academy, maybe HEB grocery store as a plan B for cheap Spurs gear.

Drive to Broadway Daily Bread for best cinnamon rolls. Avoid the overrated behemoth cinnamon roll at Lulu's. Size isn't everything.

Dverde
01-07-2019, 04:30 PM
Agree with Academy, maybe HEB grocery store as a plan B for cheap Spurs gear.

Drive to Broadway Daily Bread for best cinnamon rolls. Avoid the overrated behemoth cinnamon roll at Lulu's. Size isn't everything.

Yeah, you can find solid Spurs gear at HEB cheap. I live out of town and usually find things there. Academy has great selection, but it’s expensive.

SpursforSix
01-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Get yourself a pair of Beats Studio Ultimates.

stxspurs
01-07-2019, 05:37 PM
Lol Jims and dont go to Lulus. Its horrible. Its not what it once was.

spurraider21
01-07-2019, 06:14 PM
go whale-watching at the riverwalk

Mugen
01-07-2019, 06:24 PM

:lol

gambit1990
01-07-2019, 06:50 PM
:lol

ivanfromwestwood
01-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Do go to the west, east or south side.

gambit1990
01-07-2019, 07:28 PM
sternewirth (bar), boiler house (restaurant), southerleigh (restaurant), bottling department food hall, and jazz, tx (bar & food) are all within walking distance of each other. idk what your budget is though.

skip la gloria.

ElNono
01-07-2019, 07:30 PM
stay away from the east side unless you're ratty-looking, tbh

spurs10
01-07-2019, 08:37 PM
I'd highly recommend staying at one of the better hotels on the riverwalk. Just take a look for what looks good to you. I recently stayed at the Hilton and it was great. Do you have the Uber app. It's very inexpensive riding with them and they have a place for pick-up at the AT&T Center. The advice about David Robinson was dead on and he is almost always there. You definitely can get in an hour early with Charter seats as well. Have a great time, sounds like you have a super plan for 40!
:bobo

spurs10
01-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Also you could consider calling the Spurs Season Tickets office about getting an early entree if your tickets are on the floor, but not Charter. They have a special ticket for early entrance they offer Season Ticket holders. If you called them and told them how far you are coming and it's your birthday I think they would help. I'm saying this if your ticket isn't one of the double digit sections.

spurs10
01-07-2019, 09:00 PM
stay away from the east side unless you're ratty-looking, tbh The arena is on the east side. What are you trying to say!! :lol

ElNono
01-07-2019, 09:38 PM
The arena is on the east side. What are you trying to say!! :lol

:lol I know, I'm just saying in general... I don't expect him to spend all day at the arena, tbh...

ElNono
01-07-2019, 09:38 PM
dp

Msirotic
01-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Thanks Spurs10. I will certainly try to get Charter tickets and get in early. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it will make my planning easier!

Nivek_ogre
01-07-2019, 11:26 PM
Stay away from the Riverwalk restaurants. Try stuff near the pearl and Southtown. Rebelle is a great place downtown. Cookhouse is good further north. Do not go to lulu's. Awful. Any hotel downtown will do. Cheaper near the airport but there is nothing within walking distance. Stick with Uber and lyft. If you want to have BBQ try 2m smokehouse.

baseline bum
01-07-2019, 11:30 PM
I would not recommend staying in the side of town where the AT&T Center is located. Not much going on there.

Nonsense. You never seen all the hookers on New Braunfels Ave after the games?

offset formation
01-07-2019, 11:35 PM
Thanks Spurs10. I will certainly try to get Charter tickets and get in early. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it will make my planning easier!

Dont go to Jim's man...unless you're wasted at 3AM (and catching an Uber) . It's a shady 24 hr IHOP, no more no less.

baseline bum
01-07-2019, 11:45 PM
If you want killer brisket check out Two Bros on West Ave way on the Northside. It's far and away the best brisket I have ever had in town. Brisket is what Texas is famous for in BBQ, and they're every bit as good as the legendary places in Luling and Lockhart. However everything else at Two Bros is pretty average, I don't know how they do such great brisket and such forgettable sausage. If you want the best overall BBQ in the area take a road trip out to Luling (City Market) or Lockhart (Smitty's, Blacks', or Kreuz Market). Smitty's if you're looking for something with old school atmosphere since the building has been used for firing briskets, sausage, and ribs for about 120 years.

Speaking of road trip, if you're from overseas you might not have an idea about how shit our public transportation is. Renting a car is mandatory IMO.

Do not fucking eat at Rudy's ever. If anyone tells you to get BBQ from Rudy's you need to punch them right in the cock. It's the most fucking disgusting brisket you'll ever find but for some reason this piece of shit chain gets a lot of run on places like Food Network and Travel Channel for Texas BBQ. It fucking sucks, you can buy a better brisket at HEB.

Another thing worth trying here is the chicken fried steak. I really like it at Tip Top Cafe over on Fredricksburg Road on the near Northwest side.

If you're a beer drinker I highly recommend Busted Sandal's El Robusto Porter. God damn that is an amazing porter. I think I like it even more than Deschutes Black Butte Porter (amazing porter from Oregon that used to be my #1 porter). But Busted Sandal is a San Antonio brewery. I think one of the owners used to post here under the name The Notorious H.O.P..

buttsR4rebounding
01-07-2019, 11:59 PM
If you can't get Sec 24, buy a seat in the 2nd or 3rd row between 24 and the player's tunnel. Big Dave enters and leaves via the tunnel. The pathway is between rows 2 and 3. He will walk right past you and frequently stops and signs stuff.

jbspurs
01-08-2019, 12:04 AM

Charles had a blast

ismael-robert
01-08-2019, 01:03 AM
You can catch a service at his church he is a minister afterall

ismael-robert
01-08-2019, 01:04 AM
Just use orbitz or hotels.com

FkLA
01-08-2019, 02:09 AM
Whataburger

Whataburger

Whataburger

spurs10
01-08-2019, 02:30 AM
:lol I know, I'm just saying in general... I don't expect him to spend all day at the arena, tbh... It's the truth actually! :toast

spurs10
01-08-2019, 02:34 AM
Thanks Spurs10. I will certainly try to get Charter tickets and get in early. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it will make my planning easier! Sounds like an epic journey man! :bobo I fortunately get to go to games often and I love it every time!

donaldsonian
01-08-2019, 05:05 AM
For southtown restaurants I recommend Taco Haven (check the hours though) or Rosario’s.

paperboy77
01-08-2019, 07:56 AM

:bking Dilly dilly!

Ice009
01-08-2019, 11:04 AM
What country are you travelling from?

jehawk81
01-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Is that where it's from?? If it is, I wonder if In n Out actually means something else

Msirotic
01-08-2019, 01:18 PM
Canada, but I’m all the way East and far North. A little over 2800 miles away.

HarlemHeat37
01-08-2019, 01:55 PM
Canada, but I’m all the way East and far North. A little over 2800 miles away.

Where?

SpurSpike
01-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Jims is crap... go to Torchys Taco's!

Msirotic
01-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Near Halifax. I’m originally from Montreal. Still 3 flights away from SA.

SpursforSix
01-08-2019, 04:16 PM
You might as well get you a good Texas steak. If $ is not object and you want to go upscale, try the strip at Outback. For Filet, you can't beat Texas Roadhouse.
If you're on a budget, you'll still be pleased with Applebee's steak and shrimp.

sananspursfan21
01-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Do the Four Horseman challenge just before the game! That’s what I do!

spurs10
01-08-2019, 05:29 PM
For southtown restaurants I recommend Taco Haven (check the hours though) or Rosario’s. Yeah Rosario's is great. I would also mention the iconic Mi Tierra's....it's like visiting Mexico with all the shops. Last time I was there last year the food was really good too. The corn tortillas are made there and the pork en chile cascabel was spot on. I'm getting hungry!

Nivek_ogre
01-08-2019, 07:53 PM
You might as well get you a good Texas steak. If $ is not object and you want to go upscale, try the strip at Outback. For Filet, you can't beat Texas Roadhouse.
If you're on a budget, you'll still be pleased with Applebee's steak and shrimp.

Wtf?

Spur|n|Austin
01-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Wtf?

I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.

SpursforSix
01-08-2019, 08:17 PM
Wtf?

Steak nigga. Texas steak. You can sew a bull’s butt up with grapevine but it ain’t never gonna be pretty.

stxspurs
01-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Stay away from the Riverwalk restaurants. Try stuff near the pearl and Southtown. Rebelle is a great place downtown. Cookhouse is good further north. Do not go to lulu's. Awful. Any hotel downtown will do. Cheaper near the airport but there is nothing within walking distance. Stick with Uber and lyft. If you want to have BBQ try 2m smokehouse.

In southtown, Blue Star Brewery has dinner and shuttle to the arena.

Budkin
01-08-2019, 08:46 PM
Good charbroiled burgers, too, which is actually how Jim got started. Great, thin onion rings, too.

Frontier Burger at Jim’s FTW. We have a few in Austin too.

Nivek_ogre
01-08-2019, 11:45 PM
Outback? Applebee's? Texas Roadhouse? The man's on vacation. Spend some money and get a real steak. Not those places where they give the kids crayons with their menu

Xx_SpursNation_xX
01-09-2019, 12:00 AM
Applebees is microwaved nastiness, stay away from it.

SpursforSix
01-09-2019, 12:02 AM
Outback? Applebee's? Texas Roadhouse? The man's on vacation. Spend some money and get a real steak. Not those places where they give the kids crayons with their menu

Lol at the steak snob. The places I named get their beef from the same places as the super expensive ones. And they cook them the same way. No different than designers having clothes made in the same sweatshops as Target. But charge 20x more because of their logo. Same thing.

If you were sitting at one of the high $ places like Saltgrass and were served an Outback strip, you wouldn’t know the difference.

SpursforSix
01-09-2019, 12:04 AM
Applebees is microwaved nastiness, stay away from it.

I doubt you’ve ever been. But just heard it’s cool to bash Applebee’s. Their ribs are on par with any local bbq joint.

JeffDuncan
01-09-2019, 01:29 PM
For the most authentic visit, go to any of a zillion little Mama & Papa taco joints, and get breakfast tacos. They're all about the same, cheap and good.

There's a place called Las Salsa on San Pedro Ave where the Special is more than you can eat. It's on two plates. The couple times I've tried to eat all of their special, and failed, it was good.

baseline bum
01-09-2019, 01:42 PM

I get what you're saying, but people in this thread are recommending Whataburger and Jim's. :lol

Killakobe81
01-09-2019, 02:36 PM
I'd highly recommend staying at one of the better hotels on the riverwalk. Just take a look for what looks good to you. I recently stayed at the Hilton and it was great. Do you have the Uber app. It's very inexpensive riding with them and they have a place for pick-up at the AT&T Center. The advice about David Robinson was dead on and he is almost always there. You definitely can get in an hour early with Charter seats as well. Have a great time, sounds like you have a super plan for 40!
:bobo

Hotel Velencia had great service and atmosphere I stayed there while closing on my huse when I moving to SA. you can walk to Riverwalk, Alamo etc

But if you want luxury the big Htel/Resort/spa near La Cantera is one of the best places but its a bit of a drive (straight shot once you hit 281 ...from 1604)

xellos88330
01-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Menger Hotel is haunted if you are into that kind of thing.

quanzinelli
01-09-2019, 05:08 PM
if money is not a issue, Hotel Emma is rated one of the top 20 hotels
https://www.thehotelemma.com/

phxspurfan
01-09-2019, 05:43 PM
AllStars Gentlemen’s club still kickin’?