PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Pistons - Jan. 7, 2019

timvp
01-08-2019, 12:23 AM
https://i.imgur.com/hEa9rsD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LvU3ZZj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ssbsJ3r.jpg

Entering this affair in Detroit, I was worried about a lingering emotional letdown after the regular season Super Bowl followed up by a too-easy game at home against a flailing Memphis squad. However, my worries ended up being needless as the Spurs hot streak lives to see another day after a 119-107 victory over the Pistons. San Antonio improves to 24-17 and they’ve now won 13 of their previous 16 contests.

Early on, my letdown fears were playing out in front of my eyes. The Spurs fell into an early 21-9 hole midway through the first quarter. The offense was scuffling, the defense was overwhelmed and the team lacked juice.

Following back-to-back timeouts by Pop and a pair of sideline speeches, San Antonio began to find their footing. By the end of the first quarter, the Spurs were right back in it, trailing 31-25.

The good guys scored the first 12 points of the second quarter as part of a 23-4 run that gave them command of the game. The Pistons made a run in the third quarter, trimming San Antonio’s lead to 65-59. That’s when the Spurs put together a well-timed 10-0 run to once again make their advantage a comfortable one. Detroit would make a few halfhearted runs but the Spurs were never threatened from then on out.

I thought this was another fine victory. The Pistons, 17-21, aren’t world beaters but they have a winning record at home and present a few matchup issues. Considering how the Spurs appeared to be running on fumes early, to turn it on and post another double-digit win was impressive. Well done, gents.

-------------

LaMarcus Aldridge
https://i.imgur.com/1nluyNF.png
This was another very good game for LaMarcus Aldridge. He played tough, physical and ran the court extremely well. Obviously, 25 points on 12 shot attempts is outstanding. He did have four of the team’s nine turnovers, although two of those were on questionable offensive fouls as he drove to the bucket. Defensively, I thought he did reasonably well. He boxed out, protected the paint and moved his feet out on the perimeter better than usual. Aldridge also should be commended for remaining sturdy on D even while he dealt with foul trouble.
Grade: A-
Summary: Aldridge put another strong performance in the books.

-------------

DeMar DeRozan
https://i.imgur.com/ZKxGADZ.png
DeMar DeRozan did a great job of staying within the framework of the offense. He didn’t force much but instead continually probed Detroit’s defense with precision and controlled pace. DeRozan seemingly always created a good shot for himself or a good shot for a teammate. He finished with nine of the team’s 24 assists as he punished the Pistons for sending help defenders. Defensively, DeRozan fell asleep a few times but his activity level on that end was commendable, as evident by his seven rebounds, two steals and two blocks. All in all, it was another quality outing for the 29-year-old.
Summary: DeRozan sliced and diced Detroit’s D.

-------------

Bryn Forbes
https://i.imgur.com/yXVIEAs.png
Bryn Forbes had a few shots rim out but still put together another potent offensive showing. He had 15 points, drilled three more three-pointers and was a constant threat. As we’ve come to expect, he mixed in a few muscly forays to the hoop. This was a bounce-back game for Forbes, who scored only seven points last game to snap his streak of eight straight double-digit scoring nights. On D, I thought he was actually pretty good. The Pistons set a lot of on-the-ball and off-the-ball screens on him and he did well to recovery quickly. That’s actually an area where he usually struggles but it wasn’t the case tonight.
Grade: B+
Summary: Forbes rained in 15 more points while playing respectable defense.

-------------

Derrick White
https://i.imgur.com/IrTA2dV.png
Derrick White is suddenly an offensive juggernaut. Well, at least compared to earlier in the season. This was his sixth straight game in double-digits, as he’s averaging 16.5 points on 70.6% shooting from the field, 58.3% from three-point range and 87% at the charity stripe over that period of time. Against the Pistons, he set a career-high with nine three throw attempts (although, for the sake of transparency, four of those attempts came at the end when the Pistons were fouling on purpose). Again, as has been the case recently, White was patient with the ball and played with plenty of confidence. Defensively, he was okay. White gave too much room to three-point shooters multiple times when hedging and paid the price. Then again, since the Pistons didn’t have an ace perimeter scorer for White to lock in on, he was freelancing more than usual. And since he hasn’t done that much on the NBA level, he has to learn on the fly how much space he can give to three-point shooters and still recover. White did have a couple fantastic help-defense plays.
Summary: White’s surgence continues.

-------------

Jakob Poeltl
https://i.imgur.com/FUIlW00.png
It was a tough evening for Jakob Poeltl. In the starting lineup in place of the injured Rudy Gay (wrist), it’s safe to say Poeltl’s still learning how to play next to another bigman. While it was good experience for him, tonight’s results were forgettable. On offense, he finds it difficult to operate in the tight quarters the twin bigman lineup allows. Poeltl wasn’t moving to open spaces quickly enough, his passes were looser than normal and he didn’t help matters by hitting only one of his six free throw attempts. To his credit, he finished well around the rim and his offensive rebounding hand was magnetic. Defensively, he couldn’t stay in front of Blake Griffin, got overpowered by Andre Drummond and was missing in action on the defensive glass. Overall, despite not playing very well, these are the growing pains Poeltl has to fight through if he’s ever going to be anything other than an elite backup center.
Grade: D+
Summary: Poeltl was in the starting lineup but won’t be sending the game film home to Vienna.

-------------

Davis Bertans
https://i.imgur.com/ucY2jSF.png
Rock solid outing for Davis Bertans. He set a career-high with five assists. And, yes, these were mostly legit assists, not just rotate-the-ball-around-the-perimeter assists. He had a few really good, really difficult passes. His shot wasn’t falling at his regular clip but his aggressiveness and his movement made him a threat the Pistons had to respect. Defensively, it was a roller coaster. Blake Griffin is the rare player who is too big, too fast and too strong for Bertans to legitimately compete against. Early in the game, Griffin was eating Bertans alive, spindly limbs and all. Eventually, Bertans smartly started sending Griffin towards help defenders – and that very much helped limit the carnage. Despite the early bloodshed, I thought Bertans played hard on defense and for that he should be commended.
Summary: Bertans was battered but came out on top in the end.

-------------

Marco Belinelli
https://i.imgur.com/hP9vIFY.png
A run of the mill contest for Marco Belinelli, this was. His shot-selection was better than usual, even if it still contained leaners that’d make Pisa jealous. His activity on offense made things, mostly positive, happen. Defensively, Belinelli was largely a non-factor, which is a good thing for him.
Grade: B
Summary: Belinelli did Belinelli things.

-------------

Patty Mills
https://i.imgur.com/gTa4B5z.png
This is the version of Patty Mills who is one of the best backup point guards in the NBA. When he entered the court, it was like he was shot out of a cannon. On defense, he was double-teaming with ferocity and played tight enough individually to avoid being a liability. Offensively, he was ultra aggressive with his shots and his drives to the rim. Mills pushed the pace, made good passes, managed the clock and avoided mistakes (the bench as a whole went without a turnover, wow). After a bit of a lull, this was Mills’ third straight quality night at the office.
Summary: Mills was that ball of energy the Spurs need.

-------------

Pau Gasol
https://i.imgur.com/oF0jVre.png
With Gay out and Poeltl starting, Pau Gasol reentered the rotation. It’s obvious he’s still working his way back into game shape. He defended the rim pretty well but his help defense was atrocious and he was lumbering up the court. Offensively, he did well to blend into what the bench unit was trying to accomplish and not try to take too much control.
Grade: C
Summary: Gasol is rounding into shape.

-------------

Pop
https://i.imgur.com/x7B1It7.jpg
Pop ain’t bad at this coaching thing. I loved that he kept Dante Cunningham on the bench even though Gay was out and Pop could have easily made the excuse to play Cunningham against Griffin. Instead, he let Poeltl and Bertans learn on the job. That will play dividends down the road. Playing White a team-high 35 minutes? I’m not complaining. I thought the shorter rotation was necessary, especially given the slow start. And speaking of the slow start, Pop deserves credit for waking the team from its slumber with the back-to-back fiery timeouts in the first quarter. Hopefully that was the wake-up call the team needed to get over the Toronto game and move on in the season.
Summary: Pop was not about to let the team experience a letdown.

Looking ahead: All this recent winning now has San Antonio closer to the first seed (3.5 games back) than the ninth seed (4 games ahead). That’s quite the change from a month ago.

Next up is the first game of a back-to-back in Memphis, with the second game being at home versus the Thunder. While the Grizzlies game in San Antonio was a cakewalk, you can bet that they’ll put up more of a fight in front of their home fans. They’ll desperately be looking to snap a six-game losing streak. Appropriate fear is necessary but it’s a game that needs to be won.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-08-2019, 12:28 AM
my name’s timvp and i like ICE FISHING mmmmmmmmmm

Manufan909
01-08-2019, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the grades, timvp.

BlackAndWhite
01-08-2019, 12:49 AM
Always enjoyed these.

John B
01-08-2019, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. They seem to know when to turn it on and are very capable of doing it, once they figured it out. Spurs are just picking their opponents apart.. Impressive.

DAF86
01-08-2019, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the grades son.

Don't you think that, in nights where Gay is missing, starting Gasol makes more sense than starting Poeltl? Jakob and Aldridge get in each other's way, while Gasol actually knows how to play alongside LaMarcus.

I couldn't watch the game, but it didn't surprise me that the Spurs started slow seeing the starting lineup.

Uriel
01-08-2019, 03:21 AM
Didn’t realize that the game vs. OKC was on the second night of a back-to-back. Should Pop play it strategically and sit the starters for the game @MEM?

Splits
01-08-2019, 03:23 AM
This girl rated LA's schlong an A+

https://twitter.com/BoasMohajer/status/1082457876919189505

skin27
01-08-2019, 03:31 AM
Didn’t realize that the game vs. OKC was on the second night of a back-to-back. Should Pop play it strategically and sit the starters for the game @MEM?

nope, starters should play both games. We need more wins as much as possible..

much better if they can blowout the grizz in Memphis

timtonymanu
01-08-2019, 04:03 AM

I don’t know if this team can still sit the starters like in the past. I would rather they just be available for both games, but maybe play the bench more against Memphis if Memphis doesn’t have it that night.

Fireball
01-08-2019, 04:36 AM
I don’t know if this team can still sit the starters like in the past. I would rather they just be available for both games, but maybe play the bench more against Memphis if Memphis doesn’t have it that night.
and pop can give a shit about longevity of his players now ... he will not coach that long

Indianman
01-08-2019, 04:54 AM

Don't you think that, in nights where Gay is missing, starting Gasol makes more sense than starting Poeltl? Jakob and Aldridge get in each other's way, while Gasol actually knows how to play alongside LaMarcus.

I couldn't watch the game, but it didn't surprise me that the Spurs started slow seeing the starting lineup.

But wouldn't Pau be too slow for the NBA starters? He might get blown out every single play. And let's not get to the offense.

r0drig0lac
01-08-2019, 05:50 AM
good win, with the exception of the initial five minutes, the spurs looked on a completely different level from the Pistons, it's strange that this season our game level has gotten so low, and now it's on a frighteningly high level

J_Paco
01-08-2019, 05:54 AM

LOLOLOL

skin27
01-08-2019, 05:58 AM
good win, with the exception of the initial five minutes, the spurs looked on a completely different level from the Pistons, it's strange that this season our game level has gotten so low, and now it's on a frighteningly high level

its not on high level yet..this team can still improve

monty4329
01-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Good win, not the prettiest but good. Bench played better than the starting five, right now it is probably the best second unit in the league.

BTW Detroit really sucks .

hater
01-08-2019, 07:31 AM

:lmao the white cuck next to her

RC_Drunkford
01-08-2019, 08:12 AM

I agree. Pau knows how to feed LA and can also make the outside shot. Spurs turned the game around when they went small, 2 big line ups don't really seem to work in a positive way right now

playbonner15
01-08-2019, 08:16 AM
I was surprised by Pop's playoff timeouts in the 1st Q :lol

silverblackfan
01-08-2019, 09:22 AM
Thanks as always for the grades. I would quibble the D+ rating on Poeltl as he was battling Drummond on the boards and almost tipped quite a few rebounds to the team. He was wasn't quite the offensive force on the roll, but still showed pretty good hands.

Dex
01-08-2019, 09:40 AM
nope, starters should play both games. We need more wins as much as possible..

much better if they can blowout the grizz in Memphis

This. With the state of the West, there are no "gimme" games. All it would take is a 3-game losing streak and we would be on dangling near the bottom of the conference again.

Play with purpose in Memphis and hope you can build enough of a lead to preserve minutes in the 4th quarter.

ceperez
01-08-2019, 10:00 AM
I agree. Pau knows how to feed LA and can also make the outside shot. Spurs turned the game around when they went small, 2 big line ups don't really seem to work in a positive way right now

They don't because they clog the lane and reduce the space that DeRozan (and White) can operate.

snickles
01-08-2019, 10:11 AM
His shot-selection was better than usual, even if it still contained leaners that’d make Pisa jealous.

Comments like this are why i still lurk this forum! :)

John B
01-08-2019, 10:17 AM
I was surprised by Pop's playoff timeouts in the 1st Q :lol
Tbh it’s impressive that they’re very capable of picking their opponent apart once Pops make the adjustments

Mugen
01-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Thanks. Some quick thoughts/comments:

-Poetl hasn't looked good next to LMA most of the time this year. Sure, it's a small sample size but I just don't think it's going to work out (especially not to a point where it's worth playing it over the 1 big man lineup). It's fitting a square peg into a round hole and the obvious culprit is Pau.

-Pau isn't in game shape yet and will probably take another 5-10 games to get there. I hope he's showcased but he needs to get moved (easier said than done, I get it). I'm honestly not even that concerned with the return that he fetches as much as I am that keeping him around:
1) might make Pop think that he NEEDS to find Pau some minutes, granted he's gotten DNPs the previous two games but I still dont trust Pop.
2) Pau will not play good soldier for long. His body language on the bench and during the games have already been pretty poor IMO and it's just going to get worse with the few minutes that he gets. On a team where chemistry is probably their biggest strength, you cannot have anybody disrupting that.

-I said earlier this year that Bryn is my most hated player in the last 10 years, and I still think think he's going to shit the bed down the line (really more of Pop shitting the bed by playing him too much) but even if he does, you have to commend the kid. He's still a terrible defender but his shot is pretty much perfect and he's playing his role well. As long as his minutes don't come at the expense of DWhite (or Lonnie when that time comes) and he doesn't have to play too much alongisde Fatty, he will be really damn useful.

-Nitpicky but kinda weird that the starters were in with 3mins left in a blowout game. Other than that plus the token minutes for Pau last night, I think Pop is in the best stretch of coaching he's had in 3-4 years.

GreekSpursfan
01-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Good stuff as usual.

Mugen
01-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Obviously Kawhi is two tiers above Demar as an overall player. I put a healthy Nephew as firmly top 3 and Demar as anywhere from Top 25 to Top 30.

But there's something to be said about Demar just being a much better fit as a culture guy within the organization. On a team that just lost Manu/Porky, is paying 12mil a year for a backup PG to be a leader, and with Lamarcus Aldridge as their 1b guy, I really can't stress the importance of having one of their best players be a really, really good teammate.

The Demar being a great playmaker is a little overrated since Kawhi wasn't as bad in that regard as some people made him out to be. But even DD's passes just seem to have chemistry better behind them as stupid as that sounds :lol

I don't know what I'm trying to imply honestly but the '14 team's biggest strength was their chemistry and I really haven't seen that same freeflowing chemistry/culture since until the last 15-20 games and I think Derozan and his presence in the locker room, the bench, on planes, etc. isn't some insignificant part of that tbh.....

look_at_g_shred
01-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Obviously Kawhi is two tiers above Demar as an overall player. I put a healthy Nephew as firmly top 3 and Demar as anywhere from Top 25 to Top 30.

But there's something to be said about Demar just being a much better fit as a culture guy within the organization. On a team that just lost Manu/Porky, is paying 12mil a year for a backup PG to be a leader, and with Lamarcus Aldridge as their 1b guy, I really can't stress the importance of having one of their best players be a really, really good teammate.

The Demar being a great playmaker is a little overrated since Kawhi wasn't as bad in that regard as some people made him out to be. But even DD's passes just seem to have chemistry better behind them as stupid as that sounds :lol

I don't know what I'm trying to imply honestly but the '14 team's biggest strength was their chemistry and I really haven't seen that same freeflowing chemistry/culture since until the last 15-20 games and I think Derozan and his presence in the locker room, the bench, on planes, etc. isn't some insignificant part of that tbh.....
The biggest difference in a Kawhi pass vs a DD pass is one is passing you the ball because he needs to and the other because he wants to. Which pass would you rather receive?

RC_Drunkford
01-08-2019, 12:04 PM
They don't because they clog the lane and reduce the space that DeRozan (and White) can operate.

That's true for LA/Poeltl but LA/Pau should work since Pau loves to shoot jump shots and is a 3-point threat.

BackHome
01-08-2019, 12:07 PM
DEROZZ is setting guys up I never saw KY doing that

TimmyBuckets
01-08-2019, 12:27 PM
DEROZZ is setting guys up I never saw KY doing that

He's clearly a better playmaker. Kawhi is the better overall player, but this year's Kawhi is not the same monster he was 2 years ago on both ends. He's doing far less defensively and not working as hard. This might sound weird, but this team is way more fun to watch than the one with Kawhi on it. Granted he brought championship hope, but the ball movement now is just beautiful, and idk the synergy is just way better. Who knows, one slip up by GSW or some other team luckily knocking them out, and this year's Spurs are ring-bound. Anything can happen. I don't think that's that unrealistic. I really enjoy watching this team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-08-2019, 12:33 PM
He's clearly a better playmaker. Kawhi is the better overall player, but this year's Kawhi is not the same monster he was 2 years ago on both ends. He's doing far less defensively and not working as hard. This might sound weird, but this team is way more fun to watch than the one with Kawhi on it. Granted he brought championship hope, but the ball movement now is just beautiful, and idk the synergy is just way better. Who knows, one slip up by GSW or some other team luckily knocking them out, and this year's Spurs are ring-bound. Anything can happen. I don't think that's that unrealistic. I really enjoy watching this team.

The Spurs offense looks a lot more crisp with Demar than it did with Kawhi. The offense kind of sat around waiting on Kawhi to make his move when he was on the team. I notice that in Toronto now. There's definitely some chemistry issues with Kawhi and Lowry. Lowry seems to drift off when he's not touching the ball enough.

BackHome
01-08-2019, 02:09 PM
I agree the trade has worked out very well for both teams and all players. The trick will be if Toronto can keep KY in the Cold Tundra??

ceperez
01-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Let's not forget that the previous 2 years also had both Manu and Parker. That's a lot of corporate wisdom that doesn't exist in today's team.

This streak hasn't been tested since the Spurs have been blowing out teams. I want to see how well they do in tight games. Before, Spurs would come out ahead because of shear experience. We can't tell yet if that'll happen with this team.

TimmyBuckets
01-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Let's not forget that the previous 2 years also had both Manu and Parker. That's a lot of corporate wisdom that doesn't exist in today's team.

This streak hasn't been tested since the Spurs have been blowing out teams. I want to see how well they do in tight games. Before, Spurs would come out ahead because of shear experience. We can't tell yet if that'll happen with this team.

True plus they've mostly been home games. They were closing out close games early this season though with Derozan. I don't think anyone is fully convinced, but the turnaround is still remarkable.

Mirrornick
01-08-2019, 04:31 PM
This is not a secret. Demar was always the better playmaker.

SpursDynasty85
01-08-2019, 04:47 PM

Agree.

TD 21
01-08-2019, 05:42 PM
That Aldridge clip is an all-timer.

Of course. Not only that, but it would allow Poeltl to stay with the bench. The same bench that's been blowing the doors off the league since it formed. It should go without saying, but Aldridge-Poeltl should never play together.

Gay's being gimpy and the trickle down effect when he's out (either having to play too big or small in non Bertans minutes) only underscores the need for another credible two-way big wing/forward.

I wouldn't. Doesn't have the most important superstar trait, particularly for a perimeter player, which is making teammates better via play making for others. He's also no longer in peak defensive form and though leadership can be overstated, I do think there's a certain presence that a best player on a champion must have, that he lacks. I give him top 8.

Maybe in the sense of his not being a Harden, James, etc., caliber one, but in comparison to scumbag, he might as well be. Scumbag is not only every bit as bad as he's made out to be, I'd argue he's even worse. In recent years, there's been a push from a bunch of ass kissers in the media to pretend he's better than he gets credit for, but there's no evidence supporting that and if you really know the game (not literally you, but in general), you'd know he's only capable of making the most basic of reads.

sasaint
01-08-2019, 05:51 PM

Great point. During Timmy's tenure, with Manu as a closer, I never doubted the outcome of a close game. Tim was totally rock-solid, and Manu was going to get buckets down the stretch or get to the line. Game over.

silverblackfan
01-08-2019, 07:01 PM
:bobo

wildbill2u
01-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Team is maturing on the fly as we watch. I didn't think this would be likely, maybe impossible, but these young new guys are really stepping up with Pop giving them a chance to finish the 4th quarter in a game that could have been lost. White and Forbes looked like stone cold veterans at the foul line when Detroit kept fouling the rookies.

Props to these guys and to POp for making the decision to let them win it or lose it.

playbonner15
01-09-2019, 12:25 AM
-Nitpicky but kinda weird that the starters were in with 3mins left in a blowout game. Other than that plus the token minutes for Pau last night, I think Pop is in the best stretch of coaching he's had in 3-4 years.

Pop really wanted to win